Subban mum on contract talks during appearance at Canadian Open

P.K. Subban

P.K. Subban declined to talk about his contract negotiations with the Canadiens during an appearance Saturday at the RBC Canadian Open.

The Canadiens defenceman is coming off a two-year $5.75 million contract and filed for salary arbitration earlier this month. The hearing is scheduled for next Friday.

“Today is not about hockey,” said Subban, who is sponsored by RBC as are several golfers in the field at the Canadian Open. He posed for pictures with fans Saturday afternoon and made an appearance at a chipping clinic. He also received a lesson from CBS Sports golf reporter Peter Kostis in the morning.

“I’ll answer one question about the negotiation,” Subban told a media scrum at Royal Montreal Golf Club.“It’s been kept pretty quiet the whole time and it’s going to remain that way until a deal is done.”

“As of right now today I’m sitting here and trying to just enjoy the day. Just not thinking about anything,” he said.

Forward Lars Eller had also filed for salary arbitration, but reached a deal on a four-year $14 million contract with the Canadiens on Thursday—a day before his scheduled hearing.

“I’m happy for him. He deserves it,” Subban said.

“He’s played some good hockey. He’s a big part of our team.”

Asked how his summer training was going, Subban said: “Awesome.”

“This is probably the shortest summer I’ve ever had you know in terms of how deep we went into the playoffs. It’s been a short summer, but by the same token that’s a good thing because you know that the season is close to starting. I think it’s 74 days until puck drop until the regular season. Just trying to enjoy a little bit of my summer, but the hard training has already started and it will probably continue for the next little while.”

Subban wants ‘to be a lifer’ with Habs, NHL.com

Prospect Bozon on comeback trail, Canadiens.com

Saku Koivu’s California home selling for $6.6 million, Stu on Sports blog

Bulldogs captain St. Pierre leaves Hamilton for KHL, Stu on Sports blog

1. Habfan17 says:

I believe the numbers would be fair at $7.5 million year one, $8 million years two through four, $8.5 million for years five and six, then $9 million for years seven and eight.

There is still a risk that PK does not come close to and repeat his Norris trophy season and then this deal is only good for him. It takes into account the rising cap, the new CBA, and leaves room for the Habs to continue to build a competitive team.

It does insult Price a bit, but I am sure he understands that market and the situation the Habs are in. If he thinks it is too much, he should speak with his buddy PK and explain it to him!

Habfan17

2. Coach K says:

To all who contributed to the PK post earlier…thanks for the insights. Curiously, the one comment that seemed to spur the most discussion was the one about PK being a once in a generation type of player. Perhaps I should have clarified what I was attempting to say when I made that comment. I was thinking that he is a generational player because IMO, no other defenceman of this generation brings all of the elements to the game that PK does. I was not comparing him to all-time greats like Orr, Robinson, Harvey et al. They clearly are all time greats and PK is most certainly not in the conversation…yet. As many said however, he does seem to have that potential.

Elite skating, a hard, deadly (potentially crippling) shot from the blueline, makes a great first pass, can single handedly skate it out of trouble when needed, physically punishing checks, very good to elite level vision, can literally take over a game, obvious leadership ability, and a marketer’s dream. Many others of his generation bring some of those elements but not all of them and certainly not at his age. Those are aspects that I think make him a generational type of player.

I could be wrong though…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

3. shiram says:

8 x 9.5 = 76.

Heh here’s hoping it’s lower than that!

It is funny, in Montreal people are so engrossed in hockey, people around the office are talking about the Subban contract, most have no idea what he does, or his points total and whatnot, but they all want it cheap!
    One told me he should only get 7 millions per, as he only had 30 points last season…
    30 was his ES production.

Anyways, very hectic day here at work, and I’m positively famished, and I need to go buy books during my lunch break.
    I’m slowly depleting the science fiction book of the local indigo store.

4. Caesar says:

@Cal I usually don’t go backwards through the old comments. Was very happy I did. Nice take on Shakespeare well done.

5. AliHaba says:

Here’s a topic that should get the banter going:-

Fact: The most important statistic is Stanley Cup wins…agreed?

That being said… it is a fact then that the Habs won the Savard/Chelios trade since they won the 1993 cup with Savard while Chicago never won a cup with Chelios.

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

Hockey analytical stats are an absolute joke. An equal joke is the notion of “top 6 forward” which would suggest there is a group of 180 forwards in a similar class.

The reason these so called advanced stats are a joke is because most hockey games are decided by heroic individual performances, there are no stats to determine this. I do give validly to basic team stats such as shots, goals, possession time, and special teams because changes in these stats have a direct correlation to wins and losses.

It is my opinion that a team has top 3 fwd, mid 6 fwd, and bot 3 fwd… Top 2 D and bot 4. In order to be successful (based on past champions post lockout) a team needs 3 all star forwards (preferably 2 C) 2 all star D and an allstar Goaltender. I think the Habs have the D in Markov and Subban, the goaltender in Carey, and Patch as an all star forward… It is my opinion they are very weak in top end talent at the forward position.. So unless they win a cup in a mid 90’s NJ Devils fashion, it’s very very very unlikely they will win…
    ~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

7. I really don’t see this going to arbitration. I expect breaking news to hit any day now (before Friday of course) with information on PK’s payday.

Mr. Bergevin, make it so… =)

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

8. frontenac1 says:

So, any news on who will be Mike”s asst. Next year? Maybe Carbo? What about Breezer”s replacement? Maybe Chainsaw Churla? Time for a drink.

9. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Just read that the Laffs sign Winnik for $1.3mill and let Jay McClement walk for $1mill? Numbnuts Nonis at it again.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yeah but now he’s got an analytics geek for guidance.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

While having Pints the other day with my Leaf buddy he was livid with Shamahan for firing all the Asst. Coaches,and Asst. Managers and leaving the guys responsible for last year’s sh#t show in place. Poor bugger is on the Edge.

• Luke says:

Yah, I would have preferred he kept the Narrow-Minded Dinosaurs from the Old-Boys Network in place.

Would have been much better for non-Leaf fans…

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Lmao, yeah.. We all know crunching numbers wins hockey games…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Luke says:

No, of course not.

It just helps you find the players and strategies that work.

Heaven forbid a team should actually use available information to determine the value and effectiveness of things.

I know, I know change is scary and the dumb jocks are worried that the nerds will take over the world.

Too late. They did.

• Paz says:

Would you agree that a team can not score unless they have possession of the puck in the offensive zone?

Would you agree that it is more likely that a team will score if they have more possession in the offensive zone?

Would you agree that, because there is only one puck, any time spent in the offensive zone makes it less likely that team will allow a goal against in the defensive zone?

Why is Plekanec at the disco?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with everything you stated.

Would you agree that past events are the best predictor of future events? If you are, take a look at the past 20 NHL champs and you’ll see that 17 of those (exclude 2 Devils teams and a Bruins team) have extreme commonalities. Those are a 5 man all-star core including 2 D, 2 C, and a Goaltender… In addition to that each team had a high scoring winger and a couple players that provide production above their career mean. This is the proven recipe for success.

Thinking in a micro setting allows people to lose sight of the obvious, in all sports “Game Breaking” performances and plays determine the outcome. Each sporting event has a flow and energy and certain players tilt that energy in their teams favour and can often be seen listed in the post games 3 stars. Great teams have 5 of these players, the Habs have 2 for sure in PK and Price… An argument can be made for Patch and Markov.

I don’t need advanced stats, all I need is basic stats and an understanding of organizational and team dynamics.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

10. DipsyDoodler says:

So, FYI, the words that got my post tagged as spam were the name of the newspaper magnate who was the inspiration for Citizen Kane.

Weird huh?

I just tried to post his name and nothing else and it got banned.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

So…

this fellow, played by Orson Welles in the movie, wanted to please his young chorus girl first wife who had dreams of starring on the stage. (Chorus Girl being a euphemism…)

So he booked a theatre, hired people to sit in the audience and applaud, and got his hack journalists to give positive reviews of her musical performance.

That, in essence, is Ray Bourque parading the Stanley Cup in the city of Boston.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• bwoar says:

That’s bullshit.

• Cal says:

Martin Lapointe won the Cup with Detroit in 97 and 98. In the summer of 97, he came back to Ville St-Pierre, got on the back of a flatbed with the Stanley Cup and spent an hour parading through the streets, raising the Cup over his head over and over again. He was quite wiped out and very red by the time the truck arrived at the arena (renamed a few years later in his honour).
        He wanted to share his victory with the people of Ville St-Pierre, where he got his start in life and in hockey. It was a great moment and an excellent day.

For a player to win the Cup elsewhere for a team other than the Habs to come back and share his victory with us was a highlight of the summer.
        Are we so jaded here that we would consider what Lapointe and Bourque did in Boston after he won the Cup to be meaningless?

11. mfDx says:

Subban mum for four straight days?
    Impossible…

Sent from my CHphone

12. AliHaba says:

To join the discussion on Best Defenseman of All-Time, I’d have to call Bobby Orr my pick despite his defensive deficiencies. But two names that I haven’t seen are Red Kelly who won the inaugural Norris Trophy (while playing for Detroit) and Brad Park who never won because his career was parallel to Orr.
    Kelly is remembered more for his work as a center with the Leafs and after retirement became an MP.
    Park scored more than 20 goals and over 70 points thrice in his career.

• Cal says:

Larry Robinson:

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 19 66 85 +120!
      1979-80 Montreal Canadiens NHL 72 14 61 75
      1985-86 Montreal Canadiens NHL 78 19 63 82

With players like Lafleur, Shutt and Lemaire to pass to, it’s no wonder Larry never scored more than 19 in a season.

• AliHaba says:

I agree with you about Larry. He has been mentioned many times in this discussion. I wanted to give kudos to two that I hadn’t seen mentioned earlier.

13. Paz says:

I have watched Marion Hossa play as one of the league’s premier defensive forwards from the wing position.
    Bob Gainey was a left winger who was possibly the best defensive forward the game has ever seen.

Plekanec should be moved to the wing. He can score goals, and we need goal scoring. He is not a great playmaker. His strength is his ability to skate, to read the play, and he can score goals consistently.

This will allow Galchenyuk to move to center where he could blossom into a true playmaker.

Certainly a little out of the box, but worth considering.

• bwoar says:

This is starting to grow on me.

But then how could he annoy Sidney Crosby? I’d miss that. Crosby is such a twerp.

• Rad says:

Do you think Pleks has the size to be effective on the wing?

• Luke says:

Do Brendan Gallagher, Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane or Marty St. Louis have the size to be effective on the wing?

• Rad says:

Nice try. Gallagher’s tenacity exceeds Plekanec’s by a country mile, Kessel is faster with a better shot, Kane and St. Louis, well, let’s not even go there.

• Luke says:

So what you are saying that Plekanec’s size is not a factor, but it is something else?

Say, perhaps, his ‘tenacity’ level, speed, shot or whatever it is about Kane or St. Louis that you don’t want to go to, but it is not his size.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

Funny – I’ve advocated the same thing over the past couple months and got either no response, or dumped on. Ah well. I think that moving Pleks to the wing a)allows Galchenyuk to move to centre with a mentor on his wing and b) allows Pleks to play “less hard” minutes thereby keeping him fresher for late season/playoffs. My two cents worth. I guess we’ll see come training camp what MT has in mind.

• Paz says:

Well I think you were on to something then!

Don’t get discouraged by a non reaction or a negative reaction here.

Just keep the good ideas flowing.

14. Rad says:

Here is a link to Peter Tessier’s blog, suggesting that the Habs are not interested in Evander Kane, and moreover that a number of other teams likely feel the same way:

15. JaggerHope says:

One player I wouldn’t mind seeing the Habs get is Michael Frolik, he’s fast, good defensively, puts up 40 – 50 points a season and was pretty exciting to watch whenever I picked up a Habs game in Florida when he played there. Anyone have any ideas on what it would take to get him?

• crane says:

OR MUELLER
      OR SETOGUCHI

• crane says:

Sign them both for a mil each ,lots of depth, even if good for just a half season , be worth it, all we need is one to play decent. This be better than Moen as a 13 forward

• CJ says:

Well, he just resigned in Winnipeg for one year. He will be a UFA next season, so if Montreal is interested they could wait and pick him up next year, without losing an asset.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s your answer
      About an hour ago, Frolik and the Winnipeg Jets agreed on a 1 year contract worth $3.3 million.

With the Habs Cap situation, there was no room for him unless about that same money or a little less was moved out