Subban is ‘Mr. Big’ for the Canadiens (with practice video)

Actor Chris Noth, who played “Mr. Big” in the Sex and the City HBO television series, was in attendance at the Bell Centre to watch the Canadiens beat the Boston Bruins 4-2 in Game 3 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Tuesday night at the Bell Centre.

But the real Mr. Big for the Canadiens is P.K. Subban, who was named the first star of Game 3.

Subban had a goal and an assist while logging 27:50 of ice time as the Canadiens took a 2-1 series lead heading into Game 4 Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

In seven playoff games, Subban has 11 points (three goals, eight assists) and ranked third in NHL playoff scoring through Tuesday’s games. The only players with more points were Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings (4-10-14) and Zach Parise of the Minnesota Wild (4-9-13).

“I’ve matured, I’ve gotten older,” Subban told reporters after the game. “I have a little bit of facial hair, but I play the same game.

“I play well defensively,” he added. “I move the puck. I’ve always been a team guy. It’s just (that) I don’t think anyone expected me to do it at this level.

“There’s a lot of things I think I can do better. I’m pissed off they scored that second goal and I’m on the ice for it. You’re not always going to play a perfect game, but I look at the big picture. We got the win, that’s the important thing.”

The Canadiens held an optional practice at noon Wednesday in Brossard, with 16 players taking part. The six players who decided to skip the practice were Thomas Vanek, Rene Bourque, Tomas Plekanec, Josh Gorges, Alexei Emelin and Andrei Markov.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

(Post-practice locker-room videos by The Gazette’s John Mahoney)

Habs’ Subban is a star for our time, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Bruins constantly chasing, Boston Herald

‘We’ve just got to step up,’ Bruins Bergeron says, bostonbruins.com

Hab at heart: Ginette Reno, Canadiens.com

Ginetto Reno belts out O Canada again (video), NHL.com

Is Reno Canadiens’ version of the Flyers’ Kate Smith? The Hockey News

1. youngwun says:

Vote pk subban nhl 15 cover !

2. filincal says:

Moen’s hit on Iginla was hard, but I thought the one Weisse hit him with, just before Iginla kneed Gionta was harder. I’m sure it hurt his pride even more than his ribs.

3. JohnBellyful says:

Is it me or has there been a distortion in the time-space continuum?
    And what’s that smoking chunk of rock in the backyard?

4. hitgurl says:

Someone’s having trouble with the poll-o-matic

5. Danno says:

What was the hit count for Habs vs Bruins last night?

EDIT – It’s OK I found it.

36-31 in favour of the Habs. Holy smokes!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. JF says:

Bertrand Raymond on the depth Marc Bergevin has added in the last year:

Raymond talks about last summer’s additions (Brière and Murray), but also about the players brought in at the trade deadline (Weise, Weaver, and Vanek). His first point is that these players cost next to nothing in terms of the current salary structure of an NHL team; Brière $4.5 million, Murray $1.5, Weaver just over a million, and Weise less than a million. In the case of Weise, we gained cap space because Diaz was making more than that. We gave up Sebastian Collberg, a prospect who hasn’t progressed as expected, and a second round pick for Vanek, receiving in return a fifth round pick next year that replaces the one we gave the Panthers for Weaver. This amounts altogether to peanuts.

The depth these players add is something we haven’t seen in the organization for more than a decade. In the past, a couple of injuries, even to fourth-liners, would have us in trouble; today, Therrien has multiple options to deal with just about any situation that arises and can experiment when things aren’t going well.

Raymond goes on to talk about how useful each of the players has been, and I was particularly struck by what he points out about Weise’s contribution. Each point Weise has earned during the playoffs has been vitally important. The OT winner in Game one against the Lightning, then an assist on Brière’s goal in the opening minutes of Game four. Then last night he scored the eventual game winner as well as picking up an assist on Subban’s goal. And to think that the Sportsnet guys were ridiculing Bergevin for getting nothing more than a fourth-liner in exchange for a good offensive defenceman.

• HardHabits says:

I’ve been gushing about the depth too. Chock it up to solid pro scouting. Something the Habs have lacked since the early 90′s.

The other depth related element is the Habs actually have a few prospects that appear to be future bonafide NHLers.

I am liking how the stars are aligning for this team.

• Le Jadester says:

Same too!

Part of me wishes NB 40 and JT 40 where in the mix right now just to gain the experience, which is invaluable !

Habs, OLE !

7. frontenac1 says:

RIP Farley. I’m raising a glass of Rum to one of my all time favourite guys. Peace out amigo. Saludos!

• Cal says:

And No Birds Sang. Sad day.

• Gerry H says:

Oddly enough Cal, that’s the only one of his books that I’ve read. Beautifully written. My old man was of Mowat’s generation and also fought in the War, though in Normandy. His personality and history were not unlike Mowat’s, but he never spoke of the war, so I’ve always looked to And No Birds Sang for insight into what Dad’s war was like.

8. ffenliv says:

Learned something new today:

In 1996 my hometown Peterborough Petes hosted the memorial cup. My dad bought a pair of seats for the tournament, and I went to all the games; yelled myself stupid at every match.

Peterborough lost 4-0 in the final to Grandby that year. That tournament is largely remembered as the ‘fog bowl’, because the arena’s dehumidifiers couldn’t keep up with the heat put off by the crowd. Many times during the final, the game was halted, and the teams directed to skate around the ice to break up the fog a bit. Grandby used this to perfection. After getting a lead, any time Peterborough gained a bit of steam, their coach would call for a fog skate at a whistle, destroying the momentum, and settling down the crowd.

What I learned today? That coach which I hate for so many years as a teenager was none other than Michel Therrien.

• mark-ID says:

I believe Frankie Boo was on the Granby team that won that year also. He has won with him once….this year he will win with him again :)

9. HabFab says:

From Johnny earlier, but don’t the three in the middle look like some of the Bruins…

Marchand – Lucic – Chara

10. HabFab says:

Hard time logging in. First log in was as “Donkey Hoat”, whoever you are after several failed attempts???????????
    Whats up Doc?

The Bear Who Cried Refs

There once was a Bruins GM who was irked as he sat up high in the rafters watching his team get down 2 games to 1. To amuse himself he took a great breath and sang out, “Refs! Refs! The Refs missed the calls on Habs!”

The associated press came running to his defence with stories to help the Bruins GM drive the point home, that the refs where calling the game in favour of the Habs. But when the press arrived to look at the game tapes from many angles, they found no missed ref call on the Habs but numerous ones on the Bruins. The GM laughed at the sight of their perplexed faces.

“Don’t cry ‘Refs’, Bruins GM,” said the associated press, “when there’s more missed calls on Bruins than there were on the Habs!” They went grumbling back down to report on the Leafs’ next season.

Later, the GM sang out again, “Refs! Refs! The Refs missed the calls on Habs!” To his naughty delight, he watched the associated press run up the stories to help him sway the Refs in the Bruins favour.

When the villagers saw no missed calls as suggested they sternly said, “Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don’t cry ‘Refs’ when the Refs are letting your team get away with spearing!”

But the GM just grinned and watched them go grumbling down to report on the Leafs again.

Later, he saw a questionable hit that sent one of his players to the dressing room. Alarmed, he leaped to his feet and sang out as loudly as he could, “Refs! Refs!”

But the associated press thought he was trying to fool them again, and so they didn’t write any articles.

After game 6, everyone wondered why the GM hadn’t returned to the press conference to talk about his team. They went up to the microphone to find the GM weeping.

“There really was a missed call here! The Bruins are playing golf! I cried out, “Refs!” Why did you call the too many men on the ice penalty when we had a chance to win the game.

12. Strummer says:

Blues just extended Hitchcock’s contract for 2014-15
    Guess he’s got 1 more year to put it together.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• shiram says:

not all rosey though.

Aaron WardVerified account ‏@aaronward_nhl

The St. Louis Blues relieve Gary Agnew and Corey Hirsch of their coaching duties. #NHL #TSN

13. Habcouver says:

Remember when Habs were up 2-0 on the Gooins in the series back in 2011? I was there for the marathon, and the Boston hockey media were in panic mode, saying that Julien should be canned, that the team was weak and needed a retooling.
    The drama created by the critics was so unprofressionally over the top then, and now reading about their whining in the Globe and Herald, it explains why the Gooins are such a dysfunctional group of bullies and whiners.

The Gooins make themselves easy to hate with their complaining and when seeing one of my former favorite non-Habs, Iggy getting away from classy hockey and resorting to dirty Gooin tactics, it’s all the more I hope the Habs destroy them this year and many more to come.

I support MT’s dedication to be “all business” and “professional”: what the Habs have always stood for.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• ffenliv says:

Has Iginla done anything at all in this series to come off as a goon? In Calgary he always played a hard-nosed game, and even fought now and again. I really don’t see he’s been any different in this series.

14. shiram says:

Frase on Subban dislodging the net.

TLDR : it was not deliberate, so no penlaty.

15. aversglay says:

Tuukka Rask: ‘We made stupid mistakes’

After dropping Game 3, the Bruins goalie said if the team cleans up its play it can ‘get a win or two.’

me: okay, just not three.

16. Flanelette says:

Just a few random thoughts:
    1-Weise: did we really get that guy for Diaz?
    2-What’s up with DD and especially Max Pac?
    3-Am I the only one starting to hate Jarôme Inginla?
    4-Great bench management by our much maligned coach.

• Strummer says:

DD is playing great in the defensive zone. Gally is not.
      As a result that line with Max is unable to get out of its own zone and generate any offense.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• DipsyDoodler says:

1. Good deal wasn’t it?
      2. Chara.
      3. I never liked him.
      4. Giess so.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

I almost jumped for joy when Moen drove iggy last night. I can’t stand him now. Now he is playing like he is all though

17. myron.selby says:

Kerry Fraser’s take on P.K. dislodging the net yesterday:

The one thing he doesn’t mention is why would P.K. have wanted to dislodge the net. It actually forced a faceoff in the Montreal zone when he wasn’t under that much pressure.

18. Luke says:

Hmmmm Chiarelli holding a media scrum…

(DarrenDreger: Chiarelli isn’t complaining re: officiating, his view, Subban knocked net off…others will disagree. Says players will deal with adversity)

I wonder if some intrepid cub reporter will ask the Bruins’ GM, during this well orchestrated distraction technique designed to deflect the attention from the players, whether or not he feels Lucic was intentionally spearing an opponent for the third time in three weeks?

• FlyAngler says:

In other words, the hypocrites should get the “logs” out of their eyes?

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• twilighthours says:

Or how Chiarelli felt about the bad call on the icing that led to Bergeron’s goal?

For a team that doesn’t complain or whine, there sure are a lot of press conferences, media scrums, and player comments about officiating.

• Kooch7800 says:

Or lucic’s spear. The Bruins are going to start ticking off the officials with their constant complaining. The Habs really are starting to get to them

• Kooch7800 says:

They are walking a fine line always crying about the officials. The ref’s are going to tune them out especially when they are actually playing more goon like and diving.

It gets old

• Strummer says:

So far the whining about officiating is backfiring on the Bruins.
        Please keep it up Chiarelli!

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

19. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Anyone have any idea what a team’s record of winning a series is when the take games 1 and 3?

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

20. UKRAINIANhab says:

Subban top 2 d man in the NHL whether you like it or not. 8×8.

21. crane says:

Next round if we are lucky,fourth line

Galchenyuk Briere Wiese

22. Canadians fuming over Lucic spear on sportsnet.ca

23. Colombiahabs says:

Too bad Galchenyuck is missing out on some huge playoff experience, we might need him to become that dynamic first liner if we can’t sign Vanek!

24. FormalWare says:

3.0 STUDS
    =======

1.0: Doug Harvey

2.0: Larry Robinson

3.0: P.K. Subban

(In chronological order, only.)

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

25. PeterD says:

Love PK’s beard.
    PK Subban rocking the Amish beard look.
    :-)
    Stay focused on the prize…16 wins…PK you are a MONSTER!

26. naweed235 says:

Did any of the reporters ask about the scrum with 2 seconds left in the game? I’d love to hear Julien’s reaction. Idiot…

27. CH Marshall says:

Was Lucic spearing again last night?

28. JUST ME says:

I like the way this team seems to get better every game. Game 1 was rusty, game 2 was better but incomplete and yesterday was the best of the 3. Inserting Murray in there made for less dangerous shots from the crease and putting back Gallagher on line one will bring dividends tomorrow (hopefully) .
    Already yesterday you could see glimpses of plays building up between each other. Putting Gallagher in there will put the spotlight on him thus releiving Max Pac. We seem to forget that Max scares the…out of the Bruins up to a point that Chara did not see him go out on a stretcher. This season though there is much more than Max to follow and it will catch up to the Bruins. So no changes to the roster tomorrow for moi.
    Biggest game of the year ! Go Habs Go.

29. Mattyleg says:

Had a great time last night.
    Really fun, but I have to say, a much more tense atmosphere in the Bell compared to Game 4 against TB. When it was loud, it was loud as hell, when it got quiet, it got very quiet.
    You could feel the nerves…

Something that drove me absolutely nuts was the Bell Centre’s insistence on blasting music at the crowd every time the whistle blew. We couldn’t really get a good ‘Tuuuuukkaaaaa’ chant going, unless play was going on, and I prefer to watch the game than chant (I also think it brings bad luck, but that’s just me…).

Why is that? Why do people think that blasting music creates atmosphere? It actually does the exact opposite.

I used to watch games at Chez Normand, an amazing sports tavern on Mount Royal Ave., but it got so popular that it was sold, and the person re-designed the interior (very badly done) and decided that blasting music after every whistle would create a great atmosphere. Where before there were people talking and laughing, and chanting in the bar, now you sit in silence because it is almost impossible to talk over the music. Result: like a bar on the moon = no atmosphere.

Bell Centre is the same. Bloody annoying.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

Glad you enjoyed the Game, Matty.

However, the amount of Good-Luck-Fancy-Coffees I need to consume for the Habs to overcome your jinxiness is going to give me the gout.

• BriPro says:

Since Matty is perfect since the Vanek era was launched, I’ve given him my blessing.
        And since I predicted the Habs in 6, I’m assuming he’ll be attending that game right here early next week.
        That’ll seal the deal.

• Luke says:

Matty’s record is perfect because I’m sending myself to the poor house drinking Diabetes-au-Laits.

• Mattyleg says:

I got a jug of C-grade insulin (hey, I’m not a millionaire, alright?) with your name on it, buddy.

Keep the fatty-faith.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• secretdragonfly says:

Don’t worry – we’ll take up a collection after the boys hoist the cup.

• Luke says:

oh, you guys are so good to me… too good…

• Ian Cobb says:

You are absolutely correct Matty.
      Another thing, guess where I lost my hearing?
      Happy for you to be at the game my friend!

• TPT Petes says:

Matty, completely agree with you about the chanting. I would’ve preferred the Ole, ole’s to start with the skirmishes that were starting to brew at the end of the game. When they started with about 3 minutes to go, I was thinking, here we go again.

We have the Molson hockey family owning our Hab’s franchise again.
    Geoff Molson repurchased the franchise and has reestablished old time hockey back to Montreal.
    He hired a quality GM with the help of Serge Savard. And each hire there after has been leaning toward the Molson corp. philosophy of business and old time hockey values.
    The game of skate with finesse and speed has come back to Montreal.!!
    Yes!The Hab’s are for real and back in town!!

• JUST ME says:

So far mister Molson is doing what he said he would. The first day he took over he said «let`s write our own history». So far they are !

• PeterD says:

I agree Ian…but would like to see a change in coaching in Hamilton.
      I just don’t think the crew there is getting it done. I’d like to see the young guys delevop and experience success at that level.
      I guess in time we can hope the depth is developed inHamilton at all positions not just the D.

• HardHabits says:

I agree and have the same hopes for the development of players especially forwards. But the Habs do have a few young top six forwards that have developed through their system and drafting. For sure a better result in Hamilton would be ideal, but it also allows the most NHL ready NHL core to be with the team now experiencing the big show up close.

31. arcosenate says:

Too bad Stephane Quintal wouldn’t give Lucic a game for spearing (again) and really get the Bruins fans going…

32. Un Canadien errant says:

News Item: After making discreet enquiries regarding Charles Manson and not receiving permission to talk to him from the California Department of Corrections, the Philadelphia Flyers announce Ron Hextall as their new General Manager to replace Paul Holmgren.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

33. Hobie says:

Nice to see big Doug Murray have a good game after a shaky start last night. Must have been tough jumping into a series like that ice cold. He recovered well by the end of the game and I think we’ll see him, if he plays next game, get stronger. He ended the night plus -1! Nice to see him crush a couple Bruins too!

34. mdp2011 says:

For Shiram and the rest of the poutine lovers out there, great article in the Wall Street Journal about Quebec poutine.

35. Storman says:

I here Rob Ford had to withdraw his application for entry to the USA last week trying to fly to Chicago for Rehab, he was going to be denied entry,, thank god they have not applied that refusal entrance to Justin Bieber..who probably deserves refusal just as much if not more..

• Luke says:

His refusal of entry is grandstanding.

There was no refusal of entry a couple weeks ago when he was doing the Hollywood/Late Night scene.
      Not much has changed since then, and in this case he is actually going to ‘get help’, but suddenly they draw the line.

• Storman says:

All depends on the agent you get and or the mood he is in, sometimes you he just doesn’t like you and gives you a hard time., i have crossed the border probably well over a 100 times working in Public Security Sector for Police, fire. Military, Homeland Security and EMS across the USA and Canada,, and still twice,, i got agents that were complete dicks,,

• BriPro says:

Rob Ford, Justin Bieber, Celine Dion.
      We’re so well represented, aren’t we?

36. Luke says:

Re: The Murray Argument (pt 23) I may have contributed to:

I wasn’t so much saying that Murray sucks and he should never be used. In fact, I look at Murray as a #6 or 7 defenseman who brings a physical presence, is slow as heck and has trouble with the puck. He is counterpoint to what we have usually had on the Habs. Quick, skilled with the puck but lacking in any form of physical presence. (Ideally we find guys who meet in the middle, but they cost more and aren’t #6 or 7 defensemen).
    My posting history about Murray should bear that out. Including the day he signed. (I advised keeping expectations low).

However, I was actually commenting on the dimissal of advanced stats and those who see value in them. The childish nature in which they are referred to as “Nerds” or “Weenies.”

I am by no means a stat guy. I have never really had the focus required for statistical analysis.

What I won’t do is marginalize the findings of a stats guy, or the use of the advanced stats. These Hockey advanced stats typically pan out in the long run.
    (I may debate the validity of the stats, the model, the sample or the findings).

One can eyeball and see the Habs struggle with Murray on the ice. One can look at the numbers and quantify it.
    I would like to see an ‘intangibles’ guy sit down and evaluate the number and of scrums and roughings that occur when Murray is on the ice (or dressed). Similar in fashion to how a ‘stats’ guy looks at the time of possession and shots against.

I won’t do that though. I’m not a numbers guy.

(Burly: You asked when the Habs played their best? I thought the Habs best stretch of hockey so far this series was the first 10 minutes of the third period of Game #2).

• Cal says:

Funny, how the other 4 skaters on the ice aren’t mentioned because Murray appears to be the direct cause for the Habs being hemmed in, not the incompetent forwards who can’t chip the effing puck out.

• Chris says:

On the first period sequence, it was mostly Murray with some notable suckitude from Gallagher. Murray was the guy who repeatedly had chances to clear it and either iced it or couldn’t get it out.

After that, he was okay.

• JohnBellyful says:

I know PK has been the target of abuse because of his colour but Murray hasn’t had it easy either. Look at all the glacial comments he’s had to endure because he’s slow.

Global Warming is killing his career I think. And it’s all a fabrication!!!!

• Luke says:

Climate Change, Burly. Climate change.

• Chris says:

Using the term Global Warming was always a massive mistake. It should always have been climate change. Every model predicted that the weather patterns would become more extreme, with strong variations in either direction depending on the season and the location.

That the world is warming is undeniable (unless you want to bury your head in the sand). The ice caps are melting at a faster rate than has ever been recorded. This will have major ramifications.

It is simply maddening, but not at all unexpected, to see that so many North Americans are willfully ignoring the evidence because accepting the evidence means changing the way we live. Given the underlying greed and selfishness that underpins Western societies, that isn’t going to happen until it is forced on us.

Between the rapid depletion of major resources (forests and fossil fuels) and the ridiculous debt load that is being passed down to future generations, the generations in power for the past 20-30 years have basically adopted a scorched Earth policy and are leaving the mess for the generations that follow. I have zero respect for the generation in power right now, and can’t wait until they are out of the picture.

Sorry Luke, I have failed again, dumb dumb I am……..

Edit: Politically incorrect again.

• Chris says:

Sorry, HiB…couldn’t resist. I am in awe that it is news that Obama is talking climate change after the big report came down yesterday.

• Luke says:

I agree Chris.

The ‘Branding’ of it as Global Warming and not Climate Change creates a huge hurdle when trying to discuss it.
            (“If it’s global warming, why was winter so brutal!??!”)

Similar to the fighting debate in the NHL. The talking heads insist on the discussion being about “Banning Fighting” which is not was the discussion is about.

Fighting is already illegal, and you can’t really ban something like fighting. The discussion should really be about increasing the penalty for fighting.

As for the rest, Chris, I’ll see which of my wacko Facebook friends post first, and how sketchy the URL names are that they link, and go from there! :)

• JohnBellyful says:

He says as he looks out the window and sees a glacier sliding down the street, being chased by a dust storm. :)

• Loop_Garoo says:

Excellent Post Chris.

I am trying to put up a fantastic tribute to PK. Just do not know how to put this picture on here. I’ll get it sometime.

38. Phil C says:

What is God’s role in this? Obviously, he’s rooting for Da Habs.
    Da question is: Now, did God create Da Habs, and make them superior to all teams? Or is he simply a huge fan, and Therrien made them superior to all other teams?

Okay, gentlemen, another scenario: Da Habs, they don’t make it, the plane is delayed.. and the only one who shows up is Therrien. Therrien vs. Da Bruins. Okay, score, gentlemen.

39. Chris says:

Okay, when we’re all bored in the dog days of summer, I think Habs fans should seriously consider this:

Two Minutes Hate!

While I am not sure they would ever agree to such a negative theme, I would still love to see what JohnBellyful or Bugs could do with such a theme. I suspect it would be wildly entertaining

• JohnBellyful says:

Okay, they can hop on the bandwagon but they’re gonna have to sit in the back. Near the washrooms.

• Cal says:

Geez, if we’re “insufferable”, laff fans must simply be endlessly suffering.
      I’d still like to know the TV ratings here in Canada for the playoffs. Every time I google it I get gobbledygook.

40. scavanau says:

I just read the Boston Herald write up about last nights game. I have to laugh at the amount of childlike comments that come from their players mouths. Its like two toddlers in a sandbox and Montreal got hold of the better Tonka toy. They believe they didn’t lose, rather they didn’t make enough noise to draw the officials attention like Montreal does. Sad.

• kalevine says:

they pulled the same stuff in 2011 and it looked like Karma would catch up to them, but then they pulled out the win in OT of game 7. Here’s hoping they finally get their just desserts

• jctremblay says:

Bruins fans and their media feed on the whole big bad BRuins thing. This current Bruins team IS big, but they aren’t that bad, Some of us are old enough to remember the Espo/Orr/Cheevers/Bucyk/Cashman/ teams of the 70`s. They were big and tough too but they generally beat you with fair play..hard checks, superior talent level, great goaltending. This B team thinks spearing, face washing and muggings are what constitutes toughness. Another small hint: Whining about calls doesn’t make you look tough. Julien’s constant harping on “playing the right way” when the Bruins clearly don’t do that is getting very tiresome. I don’t know if the Habs will win this series..they are clearly the less talented/experienced team overall. But they’ve not backed down an inch in the fight. I’m proud of them.

41. adamkennelly says:

how awesome is Ginette Reno by the way…

• shiram says:

I like how she sings the anthem with slight variations each time.
      That said, last night was my least favorite.
      Still great to have her there though.

Must suck for the USA anthem singer, she’s so bland compared to Ginette.
      Well singing wise anyways.

• Paz says:

She’s from Montreal. 20 yrs old.

• scavanau says:

As a stateside Habs fan its a little bothersome that she puts no effort into my national anthem.

But having French Canadian roots Oh Canada brings tears to my eyes and Ginette Reno nails it. Her energy reminds me of listening to Roger Doucet when I was a kid.

• Chris says:

I’m of the same school as Paul Zimmerman, the former Sports Illustrated football writer (and somebody who had more writing chops in his toenail clippings than their current guy, Peter King, unless you count fawning over the league’s administrators and players as journalism).

Dr. Z used to time the national anthems and said that anything over 1 minutes for the US anthem was just over-wrought. Unfortunately, it is always over one minute and often over two.

Diamond’s voice cracks a fair bit for somebody who is a professional singer, but I wouldn’t say that there is zero effort there. She just doesn’t drag the US anthem on interminably, like the vast majority of the anthem performances.

Dr. Z was the best! A shame he has had such health battles in recent years, and completely concur regarding Peter King. Remember when I got my Sports Illustrated magazines always looking forward to reading what Dr. Z could tell me, such a great football writer.

I had forgotten about his National Anthem timing rule, very true.

• jctremblay says:

Dr. Z…sigh…Wonderful writer who truly “told it like it is”.. He did a column on how TV media distort a game in order that the superstar they want to feature has a great game..whether he actually IS having a great game that particular night or not! It was so penetrating and so true that I’ve never trusted a broadcast again and try to rely on my own eyes.

• Chris says:

The funny thing with Dr. Z is that he was an “advanced stats” guy long before it was trendy. In particular, he was trying to find ways to quantify plays that didn’t show up in the official NFL stats, particularly plays by offensive linemen.

Zimmerman’s game charts are somewhat legendary among football journalists, and he used them to try to be more objective when he was making his All-Pro votes and particularly when he was lobbying for more recognition of the non-”skill” positions in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Dr. Z was the guy that really turned me onto the idea that stats can help tell a story for a player. The fact that he was a curmudgeon who refused to pander to the league or its star players showed that there actually were sports writers that took journalism seriously.

Dr. Z never worried about his access. He called BS when BS was being spouted. Peter King is just a league mouth-piece, and a guy who only takes a tough stance when it is going to get him in tight with Goodell and other league officials (like his brutal coverage of Bountygate). King is a sycophant, while Zimmerman was a journalist.

Sadly, there are ever fewer actual journalists in sports these days. Peter Gammons is another, but too many of the younger guys are worried about their access to the team and its players these days.

• TPT Petes says:

Maybe you prefer Rene Rancourt’s version. Maybe I’m being biased because she’s freakin” hot, but the girl can really sing! Rancourt make me feel sick to my stomach. Don’t want to think about what that guy does in his spare time, but I have a strange suspicion that one day he will be named in a child pornography ring.

• Habilis says:

Yeah, she’s just a big bottle of awesome sauce. At this point, I get Goosebumps just seeing pictures of her in her jersey. When she sings, I’m basically a puddle of awe.

• Luke says:

Lady can sing. No doubt about that!

How awesome was it that Leonard Cohen got the CBC broadcast off to a great start?!!

• Chris says:

I’m not a Leonard Cohen fan, but that was a great opening.

• Luke says:

I think Leonard Cohen ties in nicely with the Murray/Stats discussion:

Only in Canada could somebody with a voice like mine win ‘Vocalist of the Year’.
            - First words of his speech accepting the Juno Award for Best Male Vocalist in Canada (1992)

• Chris says:

Luke: That line was a gem. Cohen’s self-deprecation was quintessentially Canadian.

42. kalevine says:

it’s probably mentioned but it bears repeating. Habs broke a striong of 12 straight game 3 playoff wins for the Bruins. I’m enjoying the moment because I know Habs have not won anything yet, but game 3 win effectively erased the disappointment around the game 2 collapse. At 2-1 Habs, the series is where it should be right now

43. Colombiahabs says:

There has been a lot of talk about eating crow around here… if anyone should be, its Mike Babcock, luckily Canada squeaked out a few of those nail biters because we sure could have used a bit of extra offense in the back. Dought, Weber and Keith were great but who were the other guys again???? Not PK you would have remembered his performance

• The_Truth says:

The Canada D was the best that was ever assembled and the team defensive performance was as close to perfection as possible.

Right before the Olympics and afterwards, Subban was terrible defensively. Babcock made the safe move and the right one at the time.

So far PK has raised his game in the Playoffs, which is great. Who says his Olympic experience watching the more experienced guys, isn’t a big factor in his evolvement? Next time around PK will be a lock top 4 pairing guy, if not top 2.

• jctremblay says:

I don’t like this meme..the 76 D for Canada was the best ever and it’s not very close. Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Lapointe, Savard. Only Orr was near the end, but he played a magnificent tournament. The rest were nearing their prime (Potvin) the Big 3 were in their primes. All HOFers and they played against better competition.

44. JohnBellyful says:

Bergeron — Eriksson — Marchand — Krecji — Iginla — – — Paille — Smith — Soderberg — Thorton

Who’s the missing link?

45. The Teacher says:

Still laughing at how bad subban owned rask last night.

Bruins will probably gun for Subban like there is no tomorrow. Habs need to have a response to that by
    a) protecting Subbie
    b) capitalize on open ice and penalties (looking at you, Mr. Vanek)

47. ffenliv says:

Watching Subban school Rask on that breakaway was incredible. I don’t know why Rask bit so hard on the first move, but good lord was it fun to see.

• Habilis says:

I must have watched that goal 30 times last night. Just bonkers.

Having seen all three network calls, I have to say that Hughson’s was the best. I’m an RDS guy through and through, and Houde’s call was awesome, as it always is. But Hughson’s “PEE KAY SUBBAN… SCORES!” was just epic. The kind of call that lives forever.

Best goal of the season so far? Considering the circumstances, I say yes.

48. Say Ash says:

The sky is falling on the Bruins sites:

“We would have been shutout last night if we didn’t get the two lucky deflections we did…Rask has been garbage…Damned 7m cap hit on a goalie and he sucks hardcore against our biggest rival. The style of hockey this team plays shouldn’t even need a top goalie, trade his ass for a Chara replacement. “

Speaking of Mr. Big, Rob Ford says Rehab is just like going to that Washington Redskins Football Camp he went to as a kid. I think I may be saddened the day we no longer get entertainment value from this wonderful individual. :)

50. DipsyDoodler says:

Hey can’t we find some non-Bruins to compare PK to?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

51. 24AW says:

I said it from day-1, PK is the total package and MR. Molson should be digging deep because if MB lets him ride off in the sunset it will be the biggest mistake the Canadiens will have made in 20-years.
    He’ll never be a Bobby ORR, there’ only one Bobby Orr, the best there was and the best there ever will be, but pk is gonna be one of the great one’s.

And then there is that Flashy defense man who is a combination of Bobby Orr and Brad Park rolled out in one fantastic kid, who nobody can catch or hit.

#25 is just around the corner !!!

53. Chris says:

I don’t think we can pin that loss on Bouillon, which is the indirect implication of your statement.

That was a team choke when the Bruins got the bit in their teeth.

I can live with Murray being in the line-up. He’s a 6th defenceman. End of the day, the presence of Bouillon or Murray in the line-up isn’t what makes or breaks the Habs.

Yeats put it best a few years ago: only on HI/O can so many pixels be spent discussing 13th forwards and 6th/7th defencemen.

54. twilighthours says:

Or down 2-1, as Bouillon’s goal in game one was rather important.

55. Chris says:

You’re good for a laugh. I will give you that.

56. twilighthours says:

Good on Murray for recovering and playing a solid game.

But rarely is so much made about a 12 min a night player.