Subban happy to let agent handle contract talks with Habs

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin and Don Meehan, the agent for P.K. Subban, met Thursday in Philadelphia on the eve of the NHL draft to talk about a new contract for the restricted free-agent defenceman.

Subban told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he’s not worried about the talks, leaving that job to his agent.

“Obviously, everybody wants a long-term deal, in a place where they like to play,” Subban told Stubbs Wednesday during a call from the Las Vegas airport, about to return home to Toronto from the annual NHL awards.

He called again the following morning to continue the discussion that a call to board his flight cut short.

“But there’s a lot of different things to consider in a contract negotiation,” Subban said. “There’s stability for the family. There’s what’s in the best interests of the player and in the best interests of the team, for the organization moving forward. And, obviously, proper compensation. A lot of different things.”

Subban added: “The next few days, probably the next week or so, are pretty important. Whether we want the public to know or not, they’re going to find out a lot over the next couple of weeks. Time will tell. I’ve been patient and you’re better off when you are.”

Subban has entrusted the talks to Meehan.

“I’m happy I can let Donnie handle that stuff,” he told Stubbs. “I’m a hockey player, that’s what I do. Do I think I’m smart enough to understand contracts and how they work? I might be, but I don’t think I need to be doing that at this point in time. I need to be just focusing on playing hockey. That’s all I need to do.”

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien met with the media in Philadelphia Friday before the start of the draft and said he still hadn’t got over losing to the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference final.

“We’re pleased with the way we played, but it’s still disappointing to know that we were two games away from the Stanley Cup final,” Therrien said.

“Our goal next season will be make the playoffs and that depends on a lot of factors,” Therrien added. “You have to avoid injuries. Last year, our depth came through for us and we had players step up at the right time.”

Therrien took some time off in Florida before joining the Canadiens at the draft and was asked about assistant Gerard Gallant leaving the Canadiens to become head coach of the Florida Panthers.

“I had mixed feelings when I heard the news,” Therrien said. “I’m happy to see Gerard get a chance to be a head coach in the NHL, but we’ll miss him because he did a good job for us.”

Therrien and Bergevin have begun looking through the list of possible replacements. Therrien said there are some good candidates and that the organization will start by looking within.

You can listen to the entire interview with Therrien by clicking here.

Former Canadien Patrick Roy, who won the Jack Adams Award as the top coach during his rookie season behind an NHL bench with the Colorado Avalanche, also spoke with the media Friday before the draft. Listen to what he had to say by clicking here.

Subban embracing his role as a huge star, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Live from the NHL draft, montrealgazette.com

Habs prospect McCarron remains a work in progress, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Top 10 draft day steals, canadiens.com

NHL salary cap rises to $69 million, montrealgazette.com

1. jo_maka says:

CALLED IIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!! :))))))))

2. Sportfan says:

Of course its a commercial break

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Sportfan says:

Not the russian, not the russian

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. jo_maka says:

So westill can get one of Barbashev, Goldobin, HoSang, Sherback and McKeown……..

5. Thurston says:

Boring draft so far.
    Not a lot of surprises.

6. jo_maka says:

I’m in a bar where I get the feed but not the sound. What trade involved Neal ?

7. Sportfan says:

There’s a draft party in Nashville, how many people were bribed to go?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

8. Sportfan says:

Man if the Jets GM ever made a deal or had a big signing no one would believe him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. PK says:

Wow!
    James Neal gone to the Preds!
    What is the return?
    Who knows the players coming back to the Pens?

10. jo_maka says:

Is it me or Ehlers looks like a younger Cheveldayoff ?

11. JohnBellyful says:

I think Bergevin should send a message by acknowledging the “worst fans in the league and one of the worse owners in the league.” It might pay off down the road with Bettman who will owe him a debt of gratitude for getting a chorus of boos louder and longer than he received.

12. UKRAINIANhab says:

Everybody wants to thank Lombardi. Geez, hard to watch this. NBA does the draft way better, have the commissioner announce the picks.

13. Un Canadien errant says:

Love the way Tim Murray didn’t give us a minute of platitudes, just got down to business and announced his pick.

14. UKRAINIANhab says:

WE DO not care about the hospitality ! Who won! WHATEVER

Announce the damn pick…

15. Un Canadien errant says:

Players I don’t want on my team: Josh Ho-Sang and Brendan Lemieux.

16. jo_maka says:

Dream scenario is Alex Tuch or Josh Ho-Sang but hey, gotta stay realistic

17. Chris says:

ANOTHER forward is going to Edmonton…those poor buggers. :)

Bennett looks like he could fall to #5. I think Edmonton takes Draisatl, Calgary takes Ritchie (truculence!), and Bennett goes to the Islanders? Yikes…might be a trade there.

18. Un Canadien errant says:

My man crushes, or, the players I wouldn’t mind if we had a chance to draft: Ivan Barbashev, Roland McKeown, or Alexis Pépin in the second round after a trade-down.

19. jo_maka says:

Fingers crossed for Sherback. Don’t ask me I’m high on the kid and it’s irrational. But I have a soft spot for loners who flips the script and make something out of nothing. Please no unnecessary delays so I can get my spot for Ms Diana Krall’s gig to end this wonderful day :)

20. The Jackal says:

Man I don’t get all the hate towards Bettman. What is the deal with that??

21. Un Canadien errant says:

What an obstinate prick Gary Bettman is. You know you’re going to get booed, why do you insist on taking the microphone, and pretend to be all jokey about it? Hire a host and get on with it.

Having said that, Philly bungled it, they’re not booing loudly enough, and long enough. They got tired at the end there.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

22. Haberoooo13 says:

Would be the best wrestling manager of all time the way he thrives on the boos

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

23. D Mex says:

Been traveling all day – sitting in a Mississauga hotel room now and just logged in. Miss anything important so far ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

24. Bozo McBozo says:

Is the draft being streamed anywhere?

25. on2ndthought says:

man, can’t we get a real commissioner? basketball’s Silver emceed the whole draft last night, seemed liked and respected

“a cannonading drive”

26. habcertain says:

Maybe Bettman should just stay in the background, no love in the city of brotherly love

27. CH Marshall says:

I love the boos raining down on Bettman lol

28. Habfan10912 says:

They sure love Bettman in Philly. I hope he didn’t park his car downtown.

29. Commandant says:

I want Roland McKeown

30. on2ndthought says:

McCarron is working with Tinordi getting stronger and working on skating… sounds good. I’m with Habsfan17, centering a 12 minute fourth line with Weiss and Bournival/White to start the 2015-2016 seasons.

OK for 5 minutes I love the Philly fans

“a cannonading drive”

31. habsr4ever says:

Rumor has it Gionta is not signing in Montreal.
    Bouilon is signing cuz Weaver wants too much TERM.
    I am shocked we are going to sign Booey for another season….MT is all over this cuz he likes him so much….shockey Bergey is biting.
    Bergey is in play to land a top four dman…..problem is we can’t take on too much salary unless we dump Briere or Bourque…..I heard Moen had a bite from a Western team…..but offer was a 7th rounder….he is worth more than that….I wouldn’t dump him for that either.

32. CJ says:

He’s out of our range at 26, but I like Nick Ritchie. Just saying….

33. Habfan17 says:

Sam Bennett has a striking resemblance to Gallagher!

Habfan17

34. Captain aHab says:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a draft thread?

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

35. JohnBellyful says:

From the old thread (I guess I did leave it a bit late) …
    Marc, Marc! I know it’s a bit late — well, not really, it will be a while before you get to pick — but here’s what I hope to see this weekend (I’m only telling you this because I know keeping Hab fans happy is a big deal with you and I didn’t want you thinking I was ignoring you).
    Anyways, I really, REALLY want the team to draft guys whose biggest upside is their offensive talent. And they can skate. Boy, can they skate.
    No more projects, unless the player’s as big as a housing project, and has a nice touch around the net because he likes it there and the other team can’t move him. Not without a forklift.
    So what if they’re a bit weak on the defensive side of things right now. Isn’t that what your support staff is all about, in Montreal and Hamilton, teaching them how to defend, because you can’t teach size, you can’t teach top-notch speed, and you can’t beat seeing-eye snapshots and laser beam slapshots.
    I don’t want to sit through 25 picks, and later, bite my fingernails, waiting for you to make the rest of your choices, only to have you pick more defence.
    Yeah, character is important. But that’s where I’m counting on you and MT to work your magic — and PK to set an example for the next eight years — in turning impressionable young men in need of direction into responsible adults who know how to act at the big league level.
    Okay, I’ll let you answer the phone. It might be someone inquiring about Moen.

36. Haberoooo13 says:

YEHHHH PIERRE IS ON!!!!! (enter sarcasm font)

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

37. on2ndthought says:

7yr 7.5M or
    5yr 8M

“a cannonading drive”

38. DipsyDoodler says:

Has Brian Burke picked a goon yet?

Have the Leafs gotten the number one pick?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ok my prediction. Given that they want “character, compete-level and tough to play against” and they drafted a second round talent last year, I just think it will be Lemieux. The coincidence too of drafting in the same position as his dad is karma. I also believe whoever they have better offensively ranked than Lemieux won’t drop to them (like last year). I can also see them trading down if they feel nothing special is at 26. We’ll see…

40. habsfan0 says:

Rumour has it that returning Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will be announcing the Laffs’ pick.

41. Habfan17 says:

Did anyone read Brenda Branswell’s feature on McCarron? Link above! McCarron said he played centre for a while with London to learn the defensive aspects and he did well. Wouldn’t it be great to have McCarron, Eller and Galchenyuk at centre? Talk about strength down the middle!

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I was not all that happy when the Knights used McCarron at centre…he has zero chance of playing that position in the NHL. He’s just way too slow to have any hope of covering NHL pivots. He’s a winger, through and through.

It brought his points up, because they could use him with 19 year olds Brett Welychka and Gemel Smith. But if he’s not back on the wing next season, I will be disappointed.

• Habfan17 says:

Still, the thought of having the smallest centre being 6″1 instead of 5’9″ is a nice thought. I am with you, I like him on the wing and hope he does work this summer on leg strength and speed. he should train with Crosby!

Habfan17

42. Commandant says:

Its time folks… NHL Draft time…. I’m excited.

43. CH Marshall says:

PK looking like sharp!!

44. UKRAINIANhab says:

Trade someone!

45. Sportfan says:

Just came home and saw the deals the Canucks made, I’m not surprised but they got a unique return for it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. DipsyDoodler says:

Any good rumours?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

47. Say Ash says:

Pink suits don’t come cheap.

48. Thomas Le Fan says:

Looking sharp, PeeKay! By the way, has anyone else noticed that PK comes right afer OK?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

49. slapshot777 says:

Hopefully they get this contract with Subban done fairly quick so they will know what they have to spend come July 1st.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.