Contract updates on Subban, Price; camp audio

Don Meehan

Agent Don Meehan, seen here at last weekend’s entry draft, is negotiating contracts for a number of Habs players, including P.K. Subban.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

• FRIDAY DEVELOPMENT CAMP AUDIO (thanks to Abe Hefter of CJAD 800 AM): Mac Bennett | Sebastian Collberg

Don Meehan, head of the hockey agency Newport Sports Management, tells Hockey Inside/Out that talks between restricted free-agent client P.K. Subban and the Canadiens for a new contract should begin next week.

And while there’s been plenty of heat regarding what some believe is an imminent contract announcement for Carey Price, the goalie texts HIO to say his new deal “hopefully will be done in a couple weeks.” So exhale on that one, and wait for it.

Meehan, who signed RFA client Ryan White to a one-year deal with the Habs this week, says he’s “actively negotiating” with the Canadiens for contracts for RFA defencemen Rafael Diaz and Alexei Emelin.

Word is expected imminently on the plans of Canadiens UFA Travis Moen, another Meehan client.

1. savethepuck says:

TSN reporting Moen’s deal is 4 years 7.4 million. That’s reasonable.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

2. Chris says:

Well, off to die from heat exhaustion (aka playing soccer) for the next couple of hours. Let me know what trade we settle on before we send our approval to Marc Bergevin tonight. ;)

3. twilighthours says:

If its going to be Markov and plex back the other way to Chicago, then it’s going to have to be our very best prospects (not picked this year, as per tom). So whomever you feel are the best 2 prospects of tinordi, beaulieu, Gallagher, Ellis, kristo. Because Kane/superintendent hjalmarsson For plex/Markov is a total steal for us.

• Chris says:

I agree, but it also depends on what they think their window is.

They have been desperately unhappy with Hjalmarsson, so his value isn’t perhaps as high as it was a couple of years ago. Plekanec is signed for another four seasons, Markov is signed for two more.

Kane is signed for three more seasons, while Hjalmarsson is signed for two more seasons.

• joeybarrie says:

I dont think Pleks and Markov is a steal for us.
      Hjalmarsson is a 4th-5th D for Chicago.
      Kane is a 30 goal 40 assist player with no size. Basically 10-15 points better than Pleks.
      Markov is an excellent D. In fact ignoring age, Markov is as good a D as Kane is a Forward, IF NOT BETTER. And Hjalmarsson is not asnywhere near as good a D as Pleks is a Forward. He may become a 2-4 Defenseman but we got PK and Gorges with Beaulieu and Tinordi coming up.
      So in that respect. Markov, Pleks, Beaulieu and Kristo/Gallagher is not a very good trade for us.

• habstrinifan says:

I think Plekanec and Kristo are in.
      And since Tom says two veterans and two prospects I think Gionta is in.

Maybe Ellis or Beulieu.

Hope not Tinordi or Bournival.

• Habs54 says:

I agree on the Markov/Pleks. A forward and defence for a forward and defence and the money is the same. The sweeteners I hope are NOT Tinordi or Gallagher. Those two I have hopes for. Beaulieu and Holland maybe? If Tinordi or Gallagher are not involved I’m thrilled.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Gio, Gorges, Gallagher, Emelin

4. Strummer says:

” Why the NHL’s silly season could be sillier than usual”
    James Mirtle
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Jun. 29 2012, 4:59 PM EDT

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

5. joeybarrie says:

Kaberle and Pleks going to Chicago.
    Kane and Hjalmarsson coming to Montreal.
    Prospects are Kristo and Tinordi.
    This is my guess by the way, jumping on the band wagon.
    HEY TOM NICKLE, we will now see if we continue to call you Tom Nickle OR Eklund Lite….
    I’m Kidding, I know your not stirring the pot for fun.
    But im pretty excited to see something happen.

• TomNickle says:

If it doesn’t happen it doesn’t happen. I have no desire to become Eklund or a journalist for that matter.

• joeybarrie says:

That seals it. If it doesnt happen, I going for Tom Neklund II…..

• Michael says:

Sounds like a great contact you have there Tom.Like you say no one knows for sure and I’m sure Bergevin couldn’t give a definite answer yet.Whatever…where there is smoke there’s fire.If Gionta goes the other way at least we won’t be losing in the “size” department.

-Doc

6. Mike D says:

Cap hit of 1.8mil for Moen. Good bargain on the cap hit which likely explains the 4 year term. This is per R. Lavoie on Twitter.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for the figures. Ideal! The ball’s rolling man. An dI kinda believe Tom. Maybe not as blockbuster a deal finally.. but no standing pat either.

Man I am excited…. for now anyways.

7. SnowManHabs85 says:

Moen 4 yr 1.8m avg. good number

8. habstrinifan says:

hEY gUYS… j.j Daigneault new assistant. Anyone? Anyone? O r did I miss all the posts on this. I think it’s great.

• BeachHabFan says:

s’ok. would have preferred an assistant w NHL coaching experience (robinson for one), but Bergevin seems to have a real methodical process and a plan to follow, so i’m hoping for the best

• habstrinifan says:

We probably touched base with Robinson and either were outbid by other suitors or whatever. JJ Daigneault was a puck moving level headed defencemen who had long nhl career and played in many systems (Mtl/Philly/St. Louis/Pittsburg/Anaheim/Phoenix/Wild) and won two cups… here and in Philly. Wasnt he also a captain in Philly?

And he was no ‘media darling’ here in Mtl so he doesnt owe anyone anything. I love it.

9. Ozmodiar says:

Moen – 1.8/yr??

Great price, if true.

10. joeybarrie says:

Kane and Hjalmarsson…..
    Kane is what this team needs. Except the size. But if its Gionta or Gomez going that way then its brilliant. BUT I DOUBT IT.
    Why would Chicago trade 6.3 million Kane for 7.3 million Gomez…
    Even Gionta going there for 5 million isnt anywhere near worth Kane.
    Kaberle makes no sense either. Trading 4.2 million Kabs for 3.5 million Hjalmarsson.
    Maybe they have extreme faith in our prospects we are giving, but still…
    If its two EXCELLENT roster players, there are only so many that are worth something to Chicago for Kane.
    But if Kane isnt working out for them, and they want him out…
    You never know.

11. TomNickle says:

Just to clarify from below. I’m not looking for hits because I don’t have a website.

The person who told me about Kane and Hjalmarsson told me the Habs were on the verge of acquiring Moore right before they did and Kaberle a week before they did.

I’m not an insider, the friend is.

To try eliminating things from getting too heated I’ll say that the roster players are veterans and that they have good sized cap hits. The salary exchange would be near equal.

The prospects are very good young players and weren’t taken in this most recent draft.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen. I’m saying I was told that it wouldn’t be a surprise and that it is further along than “normal talks”.

12. habstrinifan says:

wow! Where ar ethe comments re J.J Daigneault as assistant coach for the defense. Love it. Since we couldnt get Big Bird… This is a great hire.

You’re the man Bergevin!

13. Ozmodiar says:

Moen is now a roster player!!

Off to Chicago with ya!

14. jols101 says:

@TomNickle, what is the story on the 2nd kid from Chicago that you have in your trade rumour. You know anything about him? What are his projections? TX…

15. habstrinifan says:

So I am in a great moof caus eof Moen signing. And Tom sounds serious.

So here’s my guess re your ‘rumour’ Tom…

Excellent roster players “Gionta and Plekanecs”.

Prospects “Gallagher and Kristo”.

Ok Tom let’s play that “hot/cold game”. On a scale of 1 to 10 how did I do with 1 being coldest and 10 being hottest.

• TomNickle says:

Room temperature.

• Chris says:

I would imagine that if we’re sending 4 players away, at least 1 (if not 2) are defencemen given the organizational depth.

My guess (if it happens, and these are always fraught with peril):

Kane + Hjalmarsson for Plekanec, Markov, Kristo and Diaz/Weber

• habstrinifan says:

I was gonna put Markov but… kinda didnt want to. Tome said two roster guys and two prospects. So Pleks/Weber and Gallagher and Kristo.

• Chris says:

Those salaries don’t add up. :)

Kane + Hjalmarsson amount to $9.8 M cap hit, Markov + Plekanec amount to $9.2 M cap hit.

Markov instantly makes their PP better, Plekanec makes their PK better, two glaring deficiencies for the Blackhawks last season.

With Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Bolland, the base is there to contend this season. Add Markov and Plekanec to that mix and they get much stronger.

Diaz/Weber give some insurance, although Beaulieu or Tinordi might make more sense if the Habs are paying the premium (depends on how badly Chicago wants to dump Kane after his act has worn thin), and Kristo is a good wing prospect that could be there as early as next season to play on the 3rd line.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That would be an awful trade for Chicago.

Kane is a #1 draft pick who has produced on the ice, and is only 23.

Can’t see it happening unless Pacioretty goes the other way, and I would really not like that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

I don’t see Pacioretty being involved. Montreal would be loathe to part with him given how cheap he is, although I’m sure Chicago (or any other team in the NHL) would love to pry him away.

16. Mike D says:

Moen re-signed for 4 years!!!!!

Congrats Travis!

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

17. The Jackal says:

Tom Nickle really stirred up speculation here!
    So, who would we part with if the salaries are comparable to what would come to us? Could be Markov, Pleks, Gionta, Cole, maybe Kaberle (though he is not excellent). And what about the prospects we would give up?

18. HabsRepresente says:

I guess they opted not to go for Larry Robinson as assistant coach

go habs go

19. alfieturcotte says:

Remember all, the same guys who drafted Price, anointed him as the heir apparent to Roy/Dryden et al, called him a thoroughbred, are the same 2 who recently got fired and for making other boneheaded moves like Ribeiro, Gomez, Grabovski, Bourque, Kaberle, just to name a few.

I would trade Price NOW while his value remains high.

• The Jackal says:

Thank God you’re not the GM! Who do we have in net after that trade?
      PG/BG may have been wrong about a few things, Price is not one of them.

• TomNickle says:

You would be foolish.

His value is high because he’s a goalie in his mid-twenties approaching 300 games played with two all-star appearances, a calder cup mvp and CHL goaltender of the year. He also happens to have a save percentage around .917 for his career on mediocre teams.

He can also play the puck better than any goaltender in the game now that Brodeur’s skills have diminished. So if the NHL ever does away with that stupid trapezoid(which could happen as soon as this coming season) he becomes even more valuable.

He also despite the word of his critics has great mental toughness as evidenced by his reaction to losing the #1 job three years ago.

Those things might have something to do with his value being high.

• Strummer says:

I agree that they were premature in annointing Price as the saviour.
      In the spring of 2008 the Habs were too hasty in moving Huet and making Price the starter for the playoffs.
      I think not having a veteran starter cost the team an opportunity to compete for the Cup that year. All of the other pieces seemed to be in place.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Rozz says:

enough with the price hate bro, he’s a hab.. and as things are looking he will be for a long time to get over it already

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

20. JayK-47 says:

Chi-town needed…. penalty kill skills to pay the bills didn’t they?

Pleks, Moen, Ellis and Gallagher are off?

• rogieshan says:

Pleks – most likely

Moen – just resigned to four-year deal, very unlikely

Ellis – decent – but not excellent – prospect, unlikely

Gallagher – solid prospect, possibly

Also in play: Eller, Leblanc, Bourque, Kristo, Diaz, Bournival, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Tom’s rumour of two excellent roster players going to Chicago.

Who do we have currently signed who is excellent?

Cole, Pacioretty, Plex, Gionta, PK, Markov. Desharnais and Eller are promising.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

22. shiram says:

Laperriere named Director of Player Development, Flyers.

Definitely a feel good move for this guy…

23. Bripro says:

Don Meehan is negotiating all of those contracts….. wow!
    I’m in the wrong business!

• TomNickle says:

No disrespect to the men who did it either but it isn’t the most difficult career path to pursue. Just need the right network and it’s easy as pie.

• The Jackal says:

Right, easy after getting a JD or an LLM, and having the right skill set to market your clients and negotiate multiple contracts, oh and the time commitment. It’s a great job if you enjoy that, but it’s not “easy.”

24. aj says:

I’m somewhat intrigued by this. I would like to know if there could be a possibility for Brodeur signing in Montreal as a “Backup Goalie” per say to Carey Price? Its obvious many will say NO (i’m also against it) but what if it does happen…..

25. toinz says:

Call me crazy but I really think Philly should take a flier (see what i did there?) on Brodeur.

The flyers might end up amnestying Bryzgalov anyway. With that kind of an offence, I think Martin F. would be their best bet at contending next year.

26. neutral says:

Doan is not the guy you want if you’re rebuilding. great hockey player but father time is in the way he’s 36 and probably looking for a 3-year contract to finish off his career.

27. TomNickle says:

Don’t be surprised if Patrick Kane and Nicklas Hjalmarsson are Habs around this time tomorrow or Sunday.

• Captain aHab says:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot are you talking about?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• TomNickle says:

Could be a huge trade coming. Two excellent prospects and two excellent roster players for Kane and Hjalmarsson……possibly.

• TomNickle says:

I have one. His name will not be spoken in a public forum. He works for the team. That’s all I’ll say.

• Ozmodiar says:

Lagavulin?

• Rozz says:

Tom, im not trying to discredit you at all as i have no idea what your reputation is like for this kinda thing ..but has any one heard anything like this from a credible source?

Mark Twain.

• HabFanSince72 says:

What e is it?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t do e’s man. I’m not running a blog looking for fans or to attract advertisers. Just got excited about being told it could happen this weekend.

Same person told me Kaberle and Moore deals were happening.

• Ozmodiar says:

E4 or less, meaning….

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d like to state for the record that I expect Brendan Gallagher to be traded before he ever plays for the Canadiens and that I expect Markov, or Gorges, or both will be traded before the seasons begins. (especially Gorges). :)

• mksness says:

i’ll be happy:-) Patrick kane would totally love drinking it up in montreal

• The Jackal says:

Well don’t say something like that and leave it at that! We want details! Who would we trade for those 2 guys, and what makes you think this might happen?

• jedimyrmidon says:

What makes you say that we shouldn’t be surprised? Are there signs that the Habs are considering this?

• rogieshan says:

Tomas Plekanec, Lars Eller, Nathan Beaulieu and Danny Kristo?

• twilighthours says:

Well Eklund has nothing on this so it cant possibly be true

• Rozz says:

..actually, that is probably the only thing giving this credibility right now LMAO

Mark Twain.

• shiram says:

that’s 10 millions in cap hit coming in, if true. sure Habs got space, even with signing PK+Price for about 11 millions, but still would probably have to send a couple millions back at least.
      It would interesting, as it would be a big splash deal and would give us an opportunity to evaluate Bergevin’s trading skills.

• twilighthours says:

Better not be subban – anyone else is fair game.

• TomNickle says:

No Price or Subban.

• twilighthours says:

Then do it. I’d do pacioretty for Kane, for sure. Anyone else on the roster,too.

• rogieshan says:

It could be a Chelios-for-Savard deal all over again!

• Chris says:

I could see Markov + Plekanec.

Montreal needs to get rid of a centre either this summer or next to make room for Galchenyuk. Kane, having played there this past season, could play centre for a year if Galchenyuk weren’t ready and then move back to his natural wing position.

Chicago has a decent defence corps, but there is not offence after Keith/Seabrook. At 15.2%, Chicago had one of the worst power plays in the NHL. Markov would be a pretty good calculated risk to help ignite it, and Chicago thinks they have the personnel to contend this season.

• TomNickle says:

If it holds up the salaries going the other way are comparable.

• shiram says:

You did say excellent, so that rules out a bunch of players… and prospect too, so it might mean the Habs are going for one helluva quick rebuild!
          Now I’ll be wondering all week-end long if it’s gonna happen or not, and who would be moved!

• Captain aHab says:

Gomez and Kaberle? :splooge: ;-)

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Rozz says:

I know this is gonna sound ridiculous cause you gotta give to get but, if this is true, i would hope Price, Subban, Patches, and Galchenyuk would not be considered as they are our 4 corner stones from which we will rebuild this house upon.. Just leave them alone!

Mark Twain.

• Ron says:

This now going to push up the hits on this thread Tom, haha. Let the guessing begin. I could see Plek and Gorges as the established players going back. I wont even try guessing what possible new prospects I would like or not like to see go. Still I like both Chi players you mention. I could live with Plek and Gorges going if the 2 coming are those you speculate on.

• The Jackal says:

Comparable salary… that may implicate Pleks and Markov, maybe Cole or Gionta.

• habs-fan-84 says:

A blockbuster in Montreal?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

If you’re correct though Tom, I sure as hell hope Pacioretty and Eller are staying put. They can take Pleks though.

We already know Subban and Price are untouchables so nothing to worry about there.

I have had over 21 courier money orders today, with self addressed envelopes and stamps inside. And Sulemaan dropped off his at the house going down the 401 to day.

29. rogieshan says:

Here are a few budget-friendly UFAs I think Bergevin might consider:

D – Cam Barker – Bergevin is familiar with him from Chicago.

D – Pavel Kubina – right-handed shot who could be a good fit with fellow countryman Tomas Kaberle as team’s 3rd D-pairing.

F – Wojtek Wolski – outstanding penalty shootout artist (that alone is worth a gamble)

F – Taylor Pyatt – big-bodied forward (think Dustin Penner with better work ethic but less scoring touch)

• VintageFan says:

Shane Doan? aka cousin Shane

• habsnyc says:

They are all stop gaps, re-treads when the team needs a rebuild. But I am confident that Bergevin will upgrade the roster. I just do not know how or where and it will depend on the dollars he commits to the RFA’s and how he handles Gomez.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• neutral says:

Wolski – would be good for the 3rd or 4th line, actually better than Moen as far as production.

• HabFab says:

Moen shows up every shift, Wolski shows up occasionally.
        Pure effort trumps pure talent every time when talent doesn’t have effort.

Do not understand what has happened to Wolski. Good buddy of mine watched him play for Brampton and often sat with his family and talked with them. Seems like a good bright kid whose parents were immigrants to Canada, hard working family.

Great hands and skill set, yet has been labelled and moved around alot since. I would be very interested in him, but do not understand what has happened, or if he isn’t the person my buddy thought he was.

If the Habs had kept Halak and held onto Ramo they could have entered the Carey Price offer sheet sweepstakes. Now they are forced to over pay and get hand cuffed in the process.

6 years @ 5.5 million is good enough IMO.

The league should make a few changes to the CBA:

1) maximum 6 year contracts
    2) no NTC’s
    3) no front or back loading so the cap hit equals the salary

Seriously!!!

If I had bet my fathers house on the Habs in the Mid to Late 70′s to win the Cup 4 years in a row, he could have retired from working as well.

• commandant says:

Why should the league make those changes?

why do the owners need to be protected from themselves?

If you make a bad decision, you pay for it, too bad so sad.

• JohnBellyful says:

Isn’t the salary cap intended to protect owners from themselves? It still allows for idiotic contracts, just not as many, and the floor punishes those who must work with lesser resources, or who can still ice a competitive team at less than the minimum but are required to ante up more dough. It would be great if a team were to take Gomez off our hands but hardly fair to his new employer who is being forced to make a decision for non-hockey reasons.

• VintageFan says:

I’m guessing!! 7 years 40 million. total No Trade. And I love your suggestions for the CBA. I would add one other. The salary stays on the cap regardless of where in the organization you hide the player (a la Redden)

• saskhabfan says:

If my aunt had balls,she would be my uncle. Which poster here used to say that everytime somebody else said “what if”?

• savethepuck says:

In the summer of 2010, the Habs kept the better goaltender instead of keeping the goaltender who had played better for the past few months. It was the smartest thing PG did as a GM.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

That’s quite funny, thankfully the the overarching consensus in the hockey world is that Price is a franchise player, which he is. Therefore locking him up long term would not be handcuffing the team nor would they be overpaying for that type of player.
      The the Habs kept Halak they would need another good goalie to play in tandem with him. Halak has not played a full season as a starter, he has usually shared the duties, he’s unproven as a heavy load #1 goalie and has not won anything yet.

31. habsnyc says:

Has Travis Moen recovered from his upper body injury? He was injured on January 21st, played two games in early February and sat the rest of the season.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

32. toinz says:

How are you holding up Burly?

I can welcome you to the Mario Ballotelli bandwagon. It’s a real good time. The guy is batsh*t crazy but a ton of fun for everyone!

Almost over it, spent alot of today on the German websites. You are right about him being crazy, but I have a ton of empathy for the guy. I read a few stories on his life background, and the kid has been ridiculed by the locals for years because of his ethnicity. Find it disgusting that it happens, but when he single handedly wins a Euro Semi Final now they are all happy. I know it happens in alot of places, but really really hate to see it.

I think I can understand why he is so crazy.

P.S. I won’t bring up the handball on the goalline early in the game which would have put Germany up 1-0. :)

Congratulations on the win, see you in two years I hope!

• toinz says:

Pirlo is a magician, he can make his arm look like his thigh! (although I do not think he played the ball with his arm)

As for 2 years from now, I sure hope you get to see Messi and Argentina before Italy does!

As a hab fan in a family dominated by Bruin supporters, I tell them every year that because I love them, I do not wish them the Habs in the playoffs. (then I secretly wish for it)

In that spirit, I like you Burly, and I don’t wish you the Italians at the World Cup in two years ;)

33. GoalieT says:

Because I don’t have hours and hours to pour over all the comments (as much entertainment as they provide most times), forgive me is this has been mentioned:

What are the thoughts if Martin Brodeur wanted to come play out his career in Montreal mentoring Carey? I’m not sure what made me think this, but playing in Jersey looks as boring as it could possibly get. He’s from Montreal, loves playing in Montreal, was a fan when growing up, etc. I don’t know, it’s almost like he would just like to play for the Habs for one season – just to say he did it.

For the record, it would HAVE to be a backup role. I’m not interested in a distraction for Carey’s development. If they could get along and know their roles, this situation could be fun. :)

Just thought I’d toss it up there if it hasn’t been bandied about.

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

• Chris says:

That is precisely why I don’t think it would be a good idea. At the first sign of trouble for Price, you just know that people would start whispering that perhaps they should go with Brodeur.

I think many of us are resigned to the idea that Montreal is still a year or two away from being a serious contender. But what happens if they get off to a hot start and then there is another December slide. Do we start to hear of goalie controversies?

I just don’t see Brodeur as a back-up for Price. I can see him in a platoon somewhere (he isn’t a guy that can play 70 games anymore, 40-50 being much more a realistic ceiling), but I don’t see Price in a platoon. He’s already a 70 game per season guy (even if I would like to see that trimmed down to 60), and a cut back to 50 or so would be a hard pill to swallow.

• habsnyc says:

You have been watching hockey since 1986 and you think that the goalie who just led his team to the finals is best suited to be a back-up for a non playoff team? Seriously? I mean really?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• HabFab says:

Does this help you?

RenLavoieRDS on twitter – Source tell me that Martin Brodeur could play in Tampa or Sunrise next season. about 1 hour ago

• savethepuck says:

Trust me, it’s definitely been discussed here at length today.
      I personally don’t like it because:
      1. Marty can probably get a 1 year deal somewhere at 5 to 5.5 million. We would have between 11 and 12 mil tied up in 2 goalies.
      2. A string of good games by Martin F and we have another goalie controversy in Montreal. I had enough of that in the spring of 2010 to last me a lifetime, it actually still continues on here.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• GoalieT says:

Yeah, perhaps it’s not a great idea given all that. I guess I thought of it because of the unpredictability of a human’s wants, which often override practicality (potentially Brodeur’s, not mine).
        Here’s another “for the record”: I’ve never been a fan of Brodeur, aside from his earlier heroics for Team Canada.
        As for the comments referring to my 1986 to present watching of this great game and not thinking things through as per Habsync, I was referring to future, not past, for Brodeur. I think we’ve all see weirder things happen in this wacky sports world.
        And, no disrespect intended.

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

• habsnyc says:

GoalieT – Sorry I was harsh, but while Broduer is more of a 50-60 game starter than a 70-75 game starter, he is still above average in GAA and he is not going to take a massive pay cut to be a back-up for a non contending team.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habsnyc says:

I am only mentioning this because it was an AP news story in 2009, but Brodeur is paying $500k annually to his ex-wife through 2020 in addition to $132k in annual child support. This is in addition to a major cash settlement she received at the time of their divorce. He may choose to maximize his earnings to meet those obligations.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• GoalieT says:

HA! That puts an interesting spin on things for him!
          I guess pumping gas won’t do that for him. He’d best be stopping pucks for someone then.

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

34. JayK-47 says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but… The Dude is correct, the F-35 is indeed, junk.

I’m suffering cognitive dissonance right now.

35. Un Canadien errant says:

A great indication of the poor crop of unrestricted free agents and our reduced expectations in that regard is the lack of anticipation here at HIO. Before the draft, every second post would be about how we couldn’t wait for the draft, how we were making a party of it. No one so far has mentioned how much they’re looking forward to Sunday and how the days are just dragging.

As far as the date itself, and how there’s a frenzy on July 1, I like Eliotte Friedman’s suggestion (linked below) that there should be a three or four day period during which negotiations can start between parties, but the deal can only be signed at a set date. This would reduce fear and paranoia that tampering is happening, or the temptation to engage in these practices.

I am not sure tampering can ever really be stopped completely. Many of the players know the coaches on a personal level and will talk. The Gist of Friedman’s point is well taken, but end of day it is hard to fully police the tampering charges, especially when the player and team in question fully plan to consumate a deal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not saying, and neither is Mr. Friedman, that this would stop tampering completely, but it would greatly reduce the incentive to cheat.

His main point is that it would allow for less frenzied negotiations and allow for more planning and fewer mistakes, without really hampering the earning power of players. It would allow teams and players to really find the best fit. Remember Alex Kovalev missing out on an opportunity to re-sign with the Canadiens when he took too long to agree to the deal? These situations wouldn’t happen in a new system as described in the link.

• Cal says:

The contract should expire the 24th of June for UFAs. That would give a week for agents to negotiate with 30 teams, not just a couple. The player should have to announce he is going UFA 2 weeks before so all the lying about tampering stops.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think the contracts should expire on July 1, then have free agency a week later. You need to give the teams that go the distance a few days to catch their breath, then have a few days of exclusive negotiation with their own free agents. I think June 24 would have been cutting it close for the Kings and Devils, who have to prep for the draft and then worry about their UFA’s.

36. twilighthours says:

Ian Cobb,

Are you here?

I would like two tickets to th summit, in th group of 56 people. If there are better seats in that area, I’ll pay more for those.

I’d really love to just email you the money and then mail you a self-addressed stamped envelope later. Will you accept email money transfer?

37. jols101 says:

Forget about Price and Subban they are both RFA, Bergevin has lots of time to get those deals done. I am worried about Travis Moen. He is going to look great in a Leafs or Red Wings uniform if Bergevin does’nt get his act together soon.
    Great PK guy, great in his own end, big and tough, sticks up for teammates, good skater, bangs in the odd goal, has won a Stanley Cup, etc. etc. I am sure the Leafs and Red Wings won’t nickle and dime this guy on July 1st. I would hate to see him go, especially for nothing. The worst case should be to sign him and if Bergevin et al do not love the deal they can trade him at the deadline and get a 2nd round pick or better. Just giving him away is not an option…

38. commandant says:

The moment someone brings up F-35s and Steven Harper as comparisons in contract negotiations, can we all not see he’s a troll and ignore him?

Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

Summer has officially started, thanks Carey Price :) Let the keyboards sing everyone!

40. shiram says:

This is a horrible thing to do :

Tripping a 13 year old kid, breaking his wrist…

• Ozmodiar says:

A hockey play that resulted in an injury?

Seriously, a dirt-bag move. Glad it was caught on video and put out there for his friends and co-workers to see.

• JohnBellyful says:

Incredibly, he said it was an accident. And that sure looked like he was apologizing right after the incident. As for the sportsmanship showed by his players leaving the ice, it was apparent who they looked to for their role model.

• habstrinifan says:

OMG. When I first saw the headline I ignored it thinking was a parent making too much about his kid’s coach during a practice… you know how Subban wiped out Kirk Muller one time in practice.

Never even dreamt was something as evil as this.

Hope he is punished severly and banned from ALL coaching again.

• Maybe I’m just gullible, but that looks to me like it may well just be an accident…

• Un Canadien errant says:

It brought back memories for me of a handshake line in Pee Wee where our star player had been hacked and slashed and tripped and roughed up the whole game. We lost by one goal. Daniel was angry and frustrated to the point of tears since in the last couple of minutes he was on a near-breakaway but got slashed three or four times by their dirty defenceman, and then hauled down. No penalty shot or even penalty call by the refs, they were NHL-quality in training, had put away the whistles and let the boys play. Anyway, in the handshake line Daniel’s frustration boiled over and he jumped the guy who’d slashed him and kept him from scoring, ripped off his cage and started punching him. Our coaches, to their credit, jumped in and broke them up, as both teams stood around stunned.

This video is absolutely appalling. The Don Cherry retribution tough-guy mentality is warping our sense of fair play and what hockey should be about. This coach may have issues he’s dealing with and may not be an ogre, but he’s clearly incapable of dealing with the stress of the job, and shouldn’t be allowed to perform this role anymore.

41. sreuel says:

How about the big one everyone is waiting for Gomez is he gone or is he still here

42. neutral says:

Kinda looks like MB is using the same blueprint JM left behind

43. alfieturcotte says:

Unless the Habs want to be stuck with a Luongo type problem, I recommend that they keep Price’s cntract to no more than 4 years and max $5MM. I see nothing in his stats or in his playoff performance that warrants long term and big $$$. He has been average in most seasons, below average in the playoffs, and seems to shrink in big situtations (playoffs, shootouts, etc).

I don’t undertand why he is being rewarded on “potential” rather than RESULTS.

• Chris says:

Big difference between a 6 year deal to a 25 year old and a 12 year deal to a 31 year old.

I’m not crazy about 10 year deals, but they can give a team cost certainty over the long haul and as the cap continues to grow allow teams to field top-notch rosters with players paid significantly below their “market” value.

But a 6 or even 7 year deal just secures Price through the prime of his career. Can’t see any significant argument against that.

• commandant says:

Pavelec is one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL, he got 3.9 million.

Schneider has just over half the number of games played as Price has wins he got 4 million.

Jonathan Quick’s salary (salary is what matters not cap hit)… salary is 7 million dollars next season.

Take him to Arbitration and he’s get 5 – 5.5 million on a 1 year deal, we do this again next year, and in 2014 he’s a UFA.

Securing him for 6 years is a much preferable alternative to that.

Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

Having watched a ton of Jets games this year, I think you are stretching it quite a bit calling him one of the worst starting goalies in the NHL. I agree with your end point, just not the start. ;-)

• commandant says:

When it comes to Arbitration, which was my point half way down the post… based on numbers and save percentage, that is what Pavelec will be seen as, a goalie with some of the worst numbers of any starter.

Thats what the arbitrator will look at numbers.

He’ll see a goalie nearly 2 years older with 66 career starts, getting 4 million.

He’ll see Pavelec with his 906 sv %, which is below the NHL average, getting 3.9.

Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

I understood you point well Ben, I just happen to think Pavelec is a pretty good goalie. Having Bufft, then Enstrom, and Bogosian hurt at different times hurt that Defense alot.

• Max says:

I don’t know about being one of the worst starting goalies in the league but Pavelec and Price are interesting comparisons.

Both are the same age and about the same stature. Price was a top 5 pick while Pavelec was a second rounder.

Price: GP 271
          SP 916
          GAA 2.55
          SO 16

Pavelec GP 187
          SP 907
          GAA 2.99
          SO 10

Not a massively huge difference between the two if you ask me. 3.9 for Pavelec is very generous and a topper of 5 for Price would be exceedingly generous if we compared the stats.

• Max says:

Montreal has such a rich goalie history that goalies tend to be overvalued to a high degree. Plug Pavelec in for Price next season and you wouldn’t see a big difference at the end of the day.

• alfieturcotte says:

Here’s a better alternative — trade Price and his inflated salary and status. Why throw good money after bad? I would rather trade him, get a nice return for him, and sign a golie with equivalent stats (less hype) at half the amount.

• The Dude says:

omg alfieturcotte…you are my new fav blogger on this site of pricbots,lol

• ont fan says:

It’s professional sports. They have agents. Price is going to be locked up for 6 years and probably 6m a year. As long as people pay the price in the stands, buy the sweaters, the players are going to be paid outrages money. We can only dream. 104 mil for Crosby. Hard to believe.

• Greg says:

He’s being rewarded on market price. There’s a reason why we say “so-and-so will HIT THE MARKET as a UFA”. While it matters how much Bergevin values Price, the reality is he’ll be UFA in 2 years, then the market decides his worth. So if you want a 4 yr contract worth $5M, which is clearly undervalued based on market prices for goalies with similar numbers and upside, then we only eat 2 years of Price’s UFA years. Assuming he plays to his potential, he could walk as a UFA in his prime and command BIG BIG MONEY from anyone willing to pay him (see Holmgren, Paul or Sather, Glen).
      I don’t like 10 year contracts either, but take a look at those numbers again, then look at his age, then most importantly, take a look at the Habs’ goalie prospects and the price of a goalie of Price’s level on the UFA market. It’s pretty clear we should lock him up relatively long term, and that will be expensive.

• alfieturcotte says:

I frankly would either let him walk and get the Phil Kessel like returns (draft picks) that Toronto gave to Boston. Other option is to trade him.

There are lenty of other .500% Won/Loss records; .915% save precentage goalies out there at significantly less money.

• The market value of a player is broader than what he’s done for you lately and of course has to reflect any likely improvement in his play during the term of his contract. If that weren’t true, no one would ever give up roster players for draft picks or prospects.

• commandant says:

It also reflects the fact that his stats are among the best ever for a goalie on a 15th place club. This indicates his stats would be even better, if he didn’t have a shitty group in front of him last year.

• neutral says:

Put a team in front of him maybe his stats would be better

• Cal says:

Geez, alfie, you just lookin’ fer trouble. ;)

• alfieturcotte says:

Lol, my opinion hon. I was a big fan of his when he was drafted, but since his first season, I have not seen “it” in Price. There are many low draft picks that turn into gems, others that never live up to the hype. Price thus far, definitely falls into the latter category.

• Max says:

Well the thing is that he’s never lived up to being a top 5 pick yet.He’s been average-good but hasn’t taken it up a notch. He may never take it up a notch or could be lights out from here on in. Personally,I see him as being an average-good goalie for the rest of it.He hasn’t shown that extra gear yet.

• habsavvy says:

he chokes in big games.

• Rozz says:

Because you need to take into account both sides not just the one… as I’ve stated before if you just pay for what a player has accomplished in the past then Gomez is still worth 7 + million as he has won 2 Stanley cups and multiple 70 and 80 point seasons..

yes you look at the past and what they have accomplished but then you give them a big contract because you believe they will do big things for you in the future.

Price hasn’t won any big trophies in the nhl, YET… but then again neither have some other highly paid goal tenders. but he has been the back bone of the team and clearly a major pillar for the future. His number were awesome the year before and suffered last season due to the team in front of him failing him a lot… but it’s a team sport and you need your team to succeed for you to succeed.

Anyway, whether you like it or not we are going to pay price what it takes to keep him a Canadien.. Better come to terms with it bud.

Mark Twain.

• Rozz says:

dont know why this ^^ posted way down here but it was in responce to this guy :

alfieturcotte

June 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Mark Twain.

44. Chris says:

Price will get a handsome contract, particularly if it is a 5- or 6-year deal.

If he signed a 2-year deal, then I could understand if the Canadiens tried to lowball him…he has two more years of being a restricted free agent before he hits the open market.

If you sign him to a longer-term deal, then you have to pay him enough to forego those UFA years. What would Carey Price earn as an unrestricted free agent, even if he came out this summer as a 25 year old with no significant playoff success?

I think it is a pretty safe bet he’d be looking at comparable money to the contracts signed by Ilya Bryzgalov (9 years, $5.7 M cap hit) or Roberto Luongo (12 years, $5.33 M cap hit) or Pekka Rinne (7 years, $7 M cap hit).

Looking at other similar goalies, Cam Ward signed for 6 years with a cap hit of $6.3 M while Niklas Backstrom signed for 4 years with a cap hit of $6.0 M, with the contracts signed in 2010 and 2009, respectively. The cap has increased significantly since then, so a 6 year deal at a cap hit of $6.5 M is pretty reasonable for Price based on what other goalies are making.

I definitely understand the argument that paying a goalie big money might not be the best way to build a team in today’s NHL, but that is the only complaint that I find agreeable when it comes to a possible Price signing. If we’re basing it solely on what other guys are making, Price will get paid a significant amount of cash to sign for a significant term.

• alfieturcotte says:

It’s clear that Vancouver and Philly regret those moves, as they have shown to be overpaid and unmovable. Rinne will soon fall in that category.

The only goalier deserving of the money in the group you’ve named is Cam Ward. He actually won a Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe. Price has shown nothing remotely close to that type of performance.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I guess Antti Niemi deserves that kind of money too, right?

• Chris says:

Yes, but Ward won a Stanley Cup with a team that dominated during the regular season, finishing 3rd overall, despite playing Martin Gerber and the then-rookie Ward in net.

Price has not shown anything close to that type of performance because he, quite frankly, hasn’t had a team in front of him remotely as good as the 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes were. The only time he had something close was the 2007-08 Montreal Canadiens, and Price didn’t have his A-game that year.

But Cam Ward hasn’t brought his A-game every year either. His two seasons following his Stanley Cup were decided average, if not below average, and he has only managed to make it to the playoffs twice in his career. Is that his fault, or his team’s fault?

Similarly, it is hard to fault Price for the inadequacy of his team. The Montreal Canadiens have struggled to score in recent years and have had to expend a tremendous amount of energy to absorb offensive pressure and counter-attack against more highly ranked teams. That rarely works out for a team in the end.

NEWS FLASH
    2012 HIO Fan Summit Game Tickets. As many as you want! But act now!

Oct. 27th against Koivu and his Ducks.
    Total Summit Weekend Itinerary to follow.

I have been given as many tickets as we need for a very short time limit. But I must pay for them ASAP.

So this is the procedure to follow! Two prices, the first 56 seats are together.
    And the rest will be scattered in groups of 1 to 5. Both prices.

IMPORTANT!
    Do not order or send your information to me, other than by sending me a money order with a self addressed envelope and stamp on it, to send your tickets in. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.
    (international money order works best from U.S., Currier also works best)

Two levels of seats, two prices. $90 and $110. (U.S. & Canadian.)

This includes game ticket, Hall of Fame Tour ticket and one ticket for the draw at the Montreal Canadiens Children’s charity Foundation Raffle.

Now, all orders must come to me in the form of a money order (only, not a check) with a self addressed envelope and stamp so I can mail your tickets back to you. We only have a short window for this deal so get your money orders to me ASAP. Cut off date for this deal, is coming up soon.!

Everyone is welcome, but we ask that you attend the Pre Game dinner and participate bringing a gift to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Charity Raffle.

Send to Ian Cobb
    63 Village Dr.
    Belleville Ontario, Canada.
    K8P 4K2

For Summit News, Pictures and comments

46. The Dude says:

Again Price’s real record for 2011-12 is:26 wins -39 losses…If you think Price is worth $6.5 per for 6-10 years” or more money’s” you probably love the F-35 and voted Harper,lol

47. j2w4habs25 says:

I’ve been reading Americans want to move to Canada because the Obamacare that went through – does this mean that the greater hockey players in the US markets will want to move as well ? :)

Carey Price #31

48. krob1000 says:

Brodeur actually hired Brisson as an agent…Broduer usually doesn’t agent up.

49. shiram says:

Yeah Price sucks, bring in Brodeur so we can have about 11 millions tied to goalies on the cap, that’s bound to be helpful! Might as well trade for Halak and make him #1 in Hamilton, just in case of injury, you know??

50. HabsFan68 says:

We seem to spending alot of time discussing existing players, we need big changes, so far no new bodies to speak of, should we be concerned???

51. habs001 says:

The last 3 years the habs finished approx between 19th to 23rd in scoring…while too early to see the roster for next season does it not seem like that those 3 struggling to score teams had more scoring potential than the present roster has…looks to me many 2-1 , 3-2 games and o/t next year…

52. commandant says:

The few, the proud, those still fighting 2 years later…. The Halakites are out in full force I see.

Will this silly fight ever end?

The war is over. Halak is not coming back. Price is our guy, if you are a true Habs fan, you support the CH on the front, not the name on the back.

• habstrinifan says:

I say bring back Rucinsky! It would take our minds of goaltenders winning ‘best player’ awards month after month after month.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well said.

• New says:

Halak isn’t coming back? Man imagine buying the sweater and then he’s traded.

The best thing the team did under Gauthier was fling Desjardins the moment his agent started the same BS.

• ont fan says:

Don’t think so. If you aren’t on board with Price, Halak is going to keep coming up.

• Chris says:

While we normally agree on most things, Ben, this is one statement I have always loathed:

“If you are a true Habs fan, you support the CH on the front, not the name on the back.”

I dislike it because I have a hard time stomaching the idea that I must like all Montreal Canadiens players because they wear the CH on the front. I freely admit that my pantheon of most disliked Habs is Gary Leeman, Mike Ribeiro, Jose Theodore and Darcy Tucker. I hated having those guys on the Montreal Canadiens because I couldn’t stand the personalities they projected.

On the flip side, there are many former players that I will continue to support as avidly as the players wearing the Montreal Canadiens jersey. Saku Koivu, Chris Higgins, Mark Streit, Jaroslav Halak, Francis Bouillon and Sheldon Souray will always remain dear in my heart because they gave their heart & soul to the Montreal Canadiens and never stopped working when they were here.

Like you, I am somewhat tired of the Price-bashing. Price is a great goalie who has matured into a pretty unflappable man that has thrived in a very difficult role.

But I would argue that the majority of the fans in the stands that own Canadiens jerseys own jerseys with their favourite player on the back. This doesn’t make them any less of a true fan of the Canadiens than the fans that wear jerseys without a name.

I personally couldn’t stand most of the players on the 2009-10 team that went to the conference finals. There was no sense of accomplishment there of having the core of the team develop in front of our eyes, of having suffered through the bad times with those guys and now getting to watch them enjoy the fruits of their labour. Instead, we watched a band of mercenary players that came for the highest contracts.

I know that this sentiment puts me very much in the minority, but I would rather watch the players we had come to know and love lose in the second round rather than watch a bunch of high-priced guns for hire lose in the third round.

I still cheered the team on as hard as ever before, but it didn’t stop me from sort of wishing that Saku Koivu was out there instead of Scott Gomez or Mike Komisarek being there instead of Hal Gill. :)

• Thomas Le Fan says:

“I dislike it because I have a hard time stomaching the idea that I must like all Montreal Canadiens players because they wear the CH on the front. ”

That’s not what he said, is it?

• Chris says:

No, but when people state that true Habs fans support the CH on the chest and not the name on the back, there is certainly an implication that the individual’s importance is diminished.

If I am truly supporting the CH on the chest, that could be taken to mean that you support all the players equally. That I simply will never do.

I realize that Ben probably didn’t mean it the way I interpreted it, but it is a notion that comes up fairly frequently.

I DO support the individual players, and I do so proudly. I choose players that play the game the way I think it should be played. I generally put a huge premium on sportsmanship, which is part of the reason why players like Mats Naslund, Igor Larionov, Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom have been some of my favourite players over the years.

I don’t really see why it is so wrong that people miss Jaroslav Halak…some truly thought he was the better goalie or just liked his personality.

I don’t see it any differently than the fans who whined for years about Patrick Roy’s departure or the John Leclair/Eric Desjardins trade (I was one of the fans whining about that one, for the record).

Like Halak, those guys were no longer Habs. Jocelyn Thibault was obviously no Patrick Roy, but he also didn’t demand to be traded in a very public hissy fit and could have been a perfectly adequate goalie if the team in front of him hadn’t been so abysmally bad. Mark Recchi did not score 50 goals for the Habs, but I can almost 100% guarantee that John Leclair wouldn’t have scored 50 goals either had he never been traded to what amounted to the most ideal possible situation for his style of play.

Or, to use a different example, how is it really all that different than how often we’ve heard that Tomas Plekanec is not as good as [insert elite offensive centre here]. We’re not going to get Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin or Eric Staal or Ryan Getzlaf, yet many of us (and again, I include myself in this) have wasted many pixels pining over how much we’d rather have a guy on a different team.

Like I said in my post above, I do draw the line at bashing the current player. We’ll simply never know if Halak could have done better than Price and, at least in my mind, it is largely irrelevant. Price did extremely well, and the team has made its choice, so I content myself with hoping that Halak and Price are battling it out for Vezina Trophy honours for different teams. :)

• habstrinifan says:

Geez Gary Leeman’s mom wants to know what you got against her son?

And Dandenault called. He thinks he should be on your ‘liked’ list with a name like that.

Bet you cant say Dandenault without feeling good. Now Chipchura… well that’s a whole different story. I say Chipchura when I am unscrewing lug nuts.

I cant tell on which occasions I say “Butros Butros Gali” and comply with the site’s PG ratings.

• Chris says:

I always thought that Leeman was a dirty player, and I never forgave him for taking a spearing penalty very early on in his Montreal Canadiens career while wearing #26.

I think I saw Mats Naslund get one major penalty in his entire career, and it was for elbowing Ken Linseman in the head, something that probably earned him a thank you letter from 90% of the other players in the NHL (this was of course before they knew about the dangers of concussions).

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think what commandant ultimately means is to stop lauding Halak who is not with the Canadiens anymore to the detriment of Price who is still with the team and so far hasn’t merited the ire aimed his way by certain posters on this site.

• Chris says:

Unfortunately, the whole Halak-Price thing is a two-way street.

There are a small minority of Price fans on this website that have for years thrived on denigrating Halak’s accomplishments, and there are a small minority of Halak fans on this website that have for years thrived on denigrating Price’s accomplishments.

Both groups are equally stupid, but fortunately they are both quite small. Most of us, I think, are happy to see both guys do well. It might have been different if Halak had been traded to Boston or Philadelphia, because most of us really can’t stand those two teams.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, I see what you mean. Though perhaps I’m biased, but the very fact that Halak had that incredible playoff run two years ago and that he was the one traded, it’s usually posters bashing on Price and then other posters responding in kind to Halak as a form of retaliation without really meaning it (e.g. when Halak has a bad game, people say they’re “glad” he’s gone though I’m sure they’d gladly have him back – just not in the sense that they’d want to see Price gone).

In the case of the posters who like to criticize Price, I get the feeling they’d rather see him gone or only on the team if, I dunno, he signs for 3M a year and not as the starter, which is rather unrealistic.

• New says:

I think my dog had Hala-kites once but they have a shot for that.

The 2009-10 team has to be remembered for Halak, the little engine who could. Because if you don’t believe the Halak carried them you have to believe something else. That something else would be the senior goalie’s agent back stabbing the young star and a group of pros screwing around until the playoffs when they pulled it together, saved a useless coach, and made a fat contract for the guy who was yanked every time the going got tough. Hardly a legend, and sports is about hero’s.

• aj says:

@ commandant: I could still see a few halakites devoted to his cause.

53. zip by says:

I am very weary of the blanket anti Bourque statements on the list – this guy has to have something to have put up similar numbers to Cams before the trade even though he was not drafted.

I saw like everyone else that his play was tentative at times but I have to wonder if he was not just snake bit after getting 2 suspensions in one month – I think maybe he made these mistakes and really regrets them – to the point that he was second guessing his own every move on the ice.

I hope that Bergevin’s new crew has the sense to work with this guy to solve whatever problems he has – because he would be a very welcome linemate with his size and 25 plus goals like his 2 seasons in Calgary

• habs-fan-84 says:

Could not agree more.

• New says:

Yeah, people forget this guy is an NHL player. He already proved he can do it.

This isn’t lucky Pierre Dagnais but there is something common to both. They have to be in the right place on the right line to produce.

• Habitall says:

Bourque sure looked good against the Habs when Calgary played us, I’m thinking especially of the outdoor game a few years back.
      He’s the kind of guy who excels on a line with at least one other big guy who goes hard for the net, so as to capitalize on rebounds. In Montreal’s case, I’d be interested to see him on a line with Cole, who goes harder and faster to the net than anyone. Plus, Cole may be a help in the attitude department. Thoughts?

• Un Canadien errant says:

from: http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/03/game-73-montreal-new-york-islanders.html

Anyway, the most important revelation in this game occurred during the RDS pre-game show, when it was stated that Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau is good friends with David Desharnais, they met as a result of both being ex-Chicoutimi Saguenéens at a golf tournament and have hung around and kept in regular contact since then. During the profile, Mr. Parenteau explained that he ‘was’ a fan of the Canadiens growing up, “but not anymore” he quickly took care to specify, in the same tone you’d use when you tell your current squeeze that your ex or that cute cashier from work “is just a friend”.

So that’s settled, we sign this guy this summer. He’s an unrestricted free agent, the Islanders are squeezing every penny, and Uniondale is not the most attractive hockey destination around, so we can make him a good offer, and rely on the magnetism of the ‘chandail bleu-blanc-rouge’ to clinch the deal. We then stick the sixty-point winger on the David Desharnais line with Max, see if these guys can cook up another big cauldron of chemistry for us next season. Erik Cole gets shifted on to Tomas Plekanec’s line with René Bourque and he takes the big lug under his wing, uses his particular brand of orneriness and toughness mixed in with an infectious good humour to influence him and point him in the right direction. Lars Eller reunites with Travis Moen and is given the captain Brian Gionta to add a bit of consistency and hockey IQ to the line, and all of a sudden the depth situation isn’t so dire, we have three lines which don’t induce a gag reflex.

54. jrshabs1 says:

#31 bashing…the official start to summer. Get over it rodeo clowns…maybe you’d like to trade Reimer for #31 straight up? How did #31 choke in ot of game 7 in the Boston series? I’ll start the chant early CAREY!!! CAREY!!! CAREY!!!

55. JohnBellyful says:

Free agents (and their paid agents) can open negotiations with any team beginning July 1. What’s amazing is that deals are announced the very same day.
    Considering that talks between a player and a team can’t commence until 12:01 a.m., it’s rather impressive that two sides can reach an agreement in so short of time. It truly must be a frenzy to lock up long-term deals so quickly, especially when we read that Price hopes to have a contract with the Canadiens “done in a couple weeks” and Meehan, his agent, says he’s “actively negotiating” for contracts for two of his other clients, Diaz and Emelin.
    Perhaps the players, agents and team officials responsible for deals signed July 1 should be seconded to the committees putting together a new collective bargaining agreement.
    I’d also recommend that all working sessions begin at one minute after midnight.
    If contracts – and omnibus legislation – can result from talking through the wee hours of the morning, why not a new CBA? They’re wise folk, the night owls.

• commandant says:

Its 12:01 pm. No negotiation can take place until noon.

• JohnBellyful says:

Wow, that makes it even more impressive what these guys are able to accomplish.
        Okay, I withdraw the suggestion for post-midnight talks. But now it makes even more sense these fellows be made part of the collective bargaining process. They know how to git ‘r done.

• commandant says:

There are probably faster, but I remember the Rangers announcing Martin Biron signed a deal 37 minutes after the opening of free agency.

Two things though….

1) We all know every team in the NHL is tampering with Free Agents right now. Its a don’t get caught, and don’t announce it to the world system though.

2) NHL Contracts are pretty standard. If you agree on money and term, its basically fill in the blanks for an SPC.

• habstrinifan says:

I have always wanted an omnibus for xmas. That and a Rucinsky sweater.

56. Mike D says:

In other news, Cory Sarich re-ups with Calgary for 2 years @ 2mil per.

I know some on HIO had been eyeing him for the Habs as a tougher version of Hal Gill, but it looks as though that ship has sailed.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• commandant says:

Sarich played 16 minutes a game last year for the Flames. The guy is washed up at this point. I’m surprised that Feaster signed him. Feaster is running them into the ground.

• Mike D says:

I agree Ben – posted it for the benefit of those on HIO who wanted him.

Let’s go BLUE on Sunday!

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• jedimyrmidon says:

Are you really that surprised that Feaster signed him, lol?

• issie74 says:

And P.K plays 20 mins, I don’t want the Habs to nickle and dime him.

If they don’t want to pay 29 other teams will take him off our hands.

Price too!!

NorthTOHab

• habs-fan-84 says:

Feaster’s stupidity knows no boundaries.

• ed lopaz says:

I know you had good things to say about janikowski, Commandant, but when Feaster got on national TV and told everyone that “his scouts believe janikowsky will be THE PICK of the 2012 draft 10 years from now”, I just shook my head.

rule #1 of drafting Mr. Feaster: do NOT take unnecessary risks with your pick in the 1st round – that’s the pick that must make your NHL team better 1 day.

I know the league in which Janikowsky is playing.

It was wildly incorrect for Bob Mckenzie to describe the league as a “Quebec high school league” – (Bob, do your homework, please).

No one starring in that league could possibly be pegged as a “certainty”, its the opposite which is more true.

it is extremely risky to assume that janikowsky will develop into a front line NHL player.

it is simply foolish to believe today that janikowsky will outperform Yakupov of Gally.

Feaster appears to be feeding the Flames fans a lot B.S today, knowing full well he will not be around 10 years from now.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“But still, the Mid West Prep School league is not nearly the calibre of play of even the QMJHL, and miles behind the OHL and WHL.”

I wish there was some way that we could have teams from the three different Canadian major junior leagues play against each other somehow. It would be nice to see just how much better the OHL and WHL are compared to the LHJMQ.

• ed lopaz says:

well, there is not a scout in the country who won’t concede that the QMJHL is behind the other 2 junior leagues.

donald audette’s son (Daniel) was just picked #1 overall in the 2012 QMJHL entry draft.

he’s a talented kid – but not “that” talented – and at 5’7 and 150 lbs I kind of doubt he would have gone #1 in the OHL or WHL.

the standards for size are extremely different.

the league is much smaller, much softer, much less aggressive, overall.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

• commandant says:

Two things

@Sean… the top 2-3 clubs in the QMJHL can compete with any OHL or WHL club, but the depth in the league is not present. If you take a middle of the pack club in all three leagues the WHL and OHL teams would destroy them. While all teams do it, there is way more trading at the QMJHL trade deadline where the best teams absolutely pillage the lower ranked teams and load up for the Mem Cup.

@ed_lopaz All my stuff on Jankowski is quotes (with links) to other sources. He’s an Honourable Mention and unranked in the list cause I’ve never seen him. The league he was in has no internet coverage whatsoever (as far as I can find).

57. disgustedhabsfan says:

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split. Who saw that coming?

Downie re-signs for 5.3M over two years.

• Mike D says:

Saw that earlier today when I posted about Brodeur-Gate. If Downie is worth 2.65mil per year that should put Moen at about 2.25ish depending on term. I realize they are different players but I see some comparables there.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• christophor says:

you can expect at least double the offensive output from Downie. He’s also younger.

That’s more than a $400k difference.

• 24 Cups says:

I agree. Downie brings a lot more in value than Moen.

I’d go three years, 6M max for Moen.

• Mike D says:

You guys make a good point, but Downie also takes bad penalties and is suspension prone due to his sometimes wild behaviour. Moen is far better defensively and on the PK, brings toughness, but not the type that’s likely to leave his team short-handed, and still keeps the other team honest.

Offensively, Downie is definitely better, but Mo brings lots to the table outside of point production.

I’d love to have Moen back at 2mil, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a bit higher. He’s already making 1.5 on his current contract and I doubt he doesn’t get a raise.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

59. LA Loyalist says:

I’d sign Brodeur for a one or two year deal and institute a “play till you lose” policy, which if the team is bad, they’ll each play about 40 games.

Then, when Price (the Joe Thornton of goalies) chokes in the playoffs, we’ll have a strong goalie.

It worked when we had that other guy here, what was his name? Halak?

Plus Brodeur probably speaks some French.

60. habstrinifan says:

So which is it. Are the Price Subban negotiations/contracts easy? Or have we caught Bergevin in just a teensy weensy little white lie.

Prices says expect a couple weeks. Meehan says P.K’s talks not even started yet.

And when asked a short while ago re Price AND Subban, Bergevin said and I paparaphase.. talks are going well with both and I should have one signed by the end of the week.

Oh well… the wiles of an NHL GM I guess.

Kool aid refills all around.

61. The Dude says:

Carey Price is not worth more than Johnathan Quick “just sighed $5.5 mil per for 10 years” and some brainwashed fans would give Price$6.5 mil or more per on a long term….Some here are pooched or what!

• ont fan says:

What do you care what he gets as long as he plays for your team? IT”S NOT YOUR MONEY

• habs_54321 says:

if price really is asking for north of 6mil id say we should let his contract be decided by an arbitrator arbitrator would award him 3.5-5mil max

• L Elle says:

Nice way to piss off your franchise player. ?!?!

And seriously, who cares? What can’t you buy with 5 mil that you can buy with 6. Unless, of course, the damn thing costs 6? ;)

• Mr. Biter says:

Never blame the player for what he gets. Any posters here who were offered Gomer’s salary and would have turned it down please post below.Anyone posting here ever turn down a raise? Blame the guy who gave him the original contract (Sather) not even the agent whose job is to get his client the best deal.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• LA Loyalist says:

Hey CAPS GUY – we care because there is a salary cap and over-paying one player diminishes the pot we need to pay other players (see “Gomez-Scott – alleged hockey player).

In the old days, yeah your argument is valid, it was the owner’s money and if he wanted to waste it, fine. But now it has consequences.

• issie74 says:

And the salary cap has increased.70.mil.

LA Loyalist: Ask Brodeur about playing without an agent to negotiate a contract.

Marty has never had an agent and now that the NHL are the owners they are screwing him over.

ELLE is right. It’s not your money.

NorthTOHab

• Lazarus_taxa says:

Wow. You told him!! You are so smart!!! Tell me, smart old guy, if we don’t sign our number one goaltender, who do we relace him with, oh superior being?

• The Dude says:

Because its my team ont fan! As a fan for over 50 years I have a fn say too …like a share holder. And Price’s agent asking for Crosby like money’s is simply black mail bullsheit! IE : Gomez!

• Propwash says:

FYI, he is not asking for Crosby money.

_____________________________
          “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
          Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• ont fan says:

Dude, Well get a grip and you could use some work on your vocabulary. I’m a fan for 50 years also and without a goalie you got nothin’.That’s why we have all these guys in management. Their job is to figure this out. Fans worrying about it, well, is kind of a joke. I can’t imagine me telling you how to run your business. Can you? LA..you can figure all you want with the cap but I’m afraid you are going to end up with Price. Sorry about your luck.

• Andy and the habs says:

Signing him “10 years” is the reason why the cap will be 5.5mn. Not sure if habs will have the same philosophy and go long term with price. I’m hoping they will not reach a deal for ten years or more, that is too long IMO. But you never know with the new management.

• The Jackal says:

Mr. Dude, I see your point, but the fact of the matter is that Price is a world class goalie, regardless of the team’s lack of success in recent years. With Price we have a goalie that gives us a chance to win every game, we just need to build the rest of the team. It’s smart to lock up Price for the long haul. What we need on top of him are scorers and tough D men that will make sure other teams hate to play against the Habs. Luckily, that’s easier to find than a good goalie. If we lost Price to another team, even the doubters would be bashing their heads against the wall.

• Greg says:

Quick’s contract was $5.5M because of the term, 10 years. Price probably won’t sign for that long, which brings the cap hit up to about $6-6.5M. They’ll probably be paid a very similar amount, but Price won’t have 2 or 3 garbage years on the end of his contract where he makes $2M per year. Quick will.

There’s a difference between paycheque and cap hit.

• savethepuck says:

Why is it only a select few of Habs fans that don’t give Carey any respect. Every hockey expert and fans from other teams think he’s an elite goalie yet there are still some that come on here with no idea who they have. He’s still only 24 years old ffs. Any idea how many elite goaltenders weren’t even starters at his age? He’s our franchise, get over it or find another team because you are in the minority here.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

62. habstrinifan says:

@ Tom Nickle

Hi Tom,

I am not pursuing this as an argument. I just find it a fun and intriguing exercise.

Danny Kristo was drafted as the 56th player taken in 2008. And you countered my pessimism re his NHL impact by saying he would have an excellent NHL career. And yet you project that in 4 yrs time… so that is 2015-2016 season (fully 8 yrs after being drafted) he would be a 40 point player.

I cant say I consider a player drafted in 2008 with high expectations as a scorer to be ‘excellent’ if in 2015-2016 his ceiling is 40 pts.

• GrimJim says:

If its 30 goals and 10 assists, would that go some way to meeting your considerations

• habstrinifan says:

Yes. … Do you remember Rucinsky.. who was our top score with 49 points once.. did he have an excellent NHL career in your eyes.

• D Mex says:

This scenario requires a capable centre WITH size is to :
        (a) compensate for Kristo’s lack of size and (b) get him the puck.
        That centre is not on our roster today.

Trade Kristo – he’s redundant with Gallagher in the system.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

63. The_Franchise31 says:

Meehan has got more money then most players in the NHL

64. Mike D says:

WoW! Brodeur considering testing free agency?

This is either posturing to get NJ to sign him ASAP and for good value, or things in Jersey are REALLY bad in terms of the financial situation.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Maybe he’ll want to fulfill his father’s wish of playing for the Habs. I couldn’t possibly go back seven years and find a link, but he has said something to that extent in the not too distant past.

• Mike D says:

That would never happen given our goalie situation with Carey. Brodeur wouldn’t be a back-up (at least I don’t think he would) and Carey is not going to give up his crease to anyone, nor should he.

Even though I’m not a fan of Marty, he’s way too good, even at his age, to be a back-up, take a severe pay cut, and serve as a mentor, especially to a goalie like Carey who seems to be able to handle the pressure of playing in Montreal.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

65. commandant says:

Moen has to be the priority before July 1st. The rest can wait til next week, no big deal.

66. RobertAlanFord says:

I hope Moen comes back. I think a whole season with White on his line would make a helluva combination.
    As for Subban I’m guessing he’ll get a one year contract. It’ll give him a chance to show what he can do without Martins short leash on a choke collar. PK’s last few shifts last season were the best I’ve ever seen him play and hopefully a sign of what is to come.

my weekly Habs analysis:

• Somebody on another thread suggested Kristo and a 2nd for Ott. I’d do that in a heartbeat, and Ott would look mighty good between Moen and White/Prust.

• habstrinifan says:

If I am P.K and his agent and the HABS insist on a 1yr deal, I would say go F yourselves…. notwithstanding that they have the upper hand.

Minimum length 2 yrs and it that short min $ 3.75 to $ 4.

Fair terms 3 yrs @ 3.5 to 3.75

Best for HABS 4 yrs at $3.0 to 3.50.

No go if I were P.K.. would be a 1yr deal unless it is $5mill vicinity..

• GrimJim says:

A one year deal gives PK arbitration rights sooner, and PK can look at what happened with Gorges who took at one-year RFA deal and then got six years at 3.9 mil (which pundits said was a little more than market value)

67. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

why havnt they already been in discussion? just give the future hof his due.

• commandant says:

Because he’s an RFA, and Don Meehan is a busy man with all his clients.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Meehan said to the team… lets work on the UFAs before July 1st and we’ll schedule RFA talks like Subban after my UFAs are signed around the league.

68. SnowManHabs85 says:

I hope they sign PK to a 2 year contract. I think he would still be a RFA when his contract is up and then Habs could sign him long term.

69. habs-fan-84 says:

Hopefully Moen and Emelin are signed soon. Diaz is a good player but I don’t see how he fits on this team.

• habstrinifan says:

Same here. Diaz and P.K same agent.. I think he is making a power play by negotiating for Diaz first. This is just me and in now way am I saying I know more than MB but I would have insisted on doing P.K first. But then again MB looks like he thinks Diaz is important player for the future.

70. Steeltown Hab says:

Meehan makes too much money…

———————————

Eller is a beauty – @J_Perez22

71. Mike D says:

By imminently, I hope that means big Trav will be signed today. He’s a keeper! I’d be happy with 3 years in the 2mil range.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

72. notjusttrash says:

Man, am I the only one who thinks that locking up “core” players before free agency (even RFAs) is a classy move?

• Mike D says:

Sure you could look at it that way, but if the team makes it clear to the player that he is a priority, the player should understand that since there is no risk to losing him after July 1st, the team must consider retaining the players they MIGHT lose on July 1st if they aren’t addressed first.

If Subbban or Price were going to be UFA’s, you can bet your @$$ they would have been signed already.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

73. Mr. Biter says:

#1 with a bullet.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

74. Mr. Biter says:

One minute to late.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

75. RobertAlanFord says:

I never expected bergevin to sign him let alone before Subban, Price, etc……

Weekly Habs analysis:

76. The signing makes sense, really. He’s a good-sized player who wins faceoffs and kills penalties for next to no money, and won’t complain if he spends 50 games in the press box. And hey, if we need to put him on waivers to make room for someone else, that’s not a big deal either.

I’d have preferred Darche, but Darche deserves to spend more time on the ice than in the press box, and since Bergevin/Therrien clearly weren’t willing to commit to that, I take that as a sign they’re committed to improving the bottom six substantially in the off-season.

77. commandant says:

Some negotiations are easier than others… he signed for 25K above NHL minimum. Doesn’t sound like there was a lot of discussion between the parties.

Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

78. I don’t know why they wouldn’t get the no-brainer signings out of the way first. Just because you’re in the market for a brand new luxury car, doesn’t mean you need to postpone the grocery shopping. :)

79. RobertAlanFord says:

I meant that I was surprised that he was even part of the blueprint for next year.
    Weekly Habs analysis:

80. habstrinifan says:

You have a point … but if you consider the UFA market as shopping around for snow tires to get the best out of that luxury car then it would have been nice to have the car in the driveway sealed and delivered before you had to make the snow tires decisions.

Maybe he’s foregoing snow tires this year.

81. If MB succeeds in signing someone better than Nokelainen, and there’s no more room for him, that’s perfect — we just send him to Hamilton or deal him if we can. If we lose him on waivers, no biggie.

82. TomNickle says: