Subban back on the ice

P.K. Subban

P.K. Subban stepped on the ice in a Canadiens unifom for the first time in 11 months Wednesday, participating in an optional skate at Scotiabank Place.

Subban, who agreed to a two-year, $5.75-million contract on Monday, was joined on the ice by goaltender Peter Budaj – he’ll be the starter Wednesday night against the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) – and healthy scratches Yannick Weber and Michael Blunden.

Assistant coach Clement Jodoin ran the three skaters through a variety of passing and shooting drills. The real work for Subban will begin later this week when he joins his teammates in practices that will introduce him to coach Michel Therrien’s system.

Subban met with Therrien and general manager Marc Bergevin after the team arrived in Ottawa  after midnight Wednesday and he greeted the media after the morning skate.

Subban said he had limited contact with his teammates because he didn’t want to distract them in the middle of a pair of back-to-back games. He said there was no timetable on his return to the lineup and that it would be up to Therrien to decide how to use him.

1. I’m glad he’s back: I enjoyed watching him play.

2. sc says:

Agreed. Down to see Eller between cole and pac

3. Strummer says:

Budaj didn’t play during the lockout.
    Unless he was injured was that such a wise strategy for a guy that gets very few starts as it is?
    Being a Slovak there should have been an opportunity for him ‘over ‘ome

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

4. Hobie Hansen says:

One thing for sure is that if Therrien sees something he doesn’t like from a player, example Eller again last night, they’ll be in the press box or stapled to the bench.

• ed lopaz says:

yes. it seems like a safe move for the coach to bench Eller.

We should get used to it.

• Kfourn says:

In yesterdays presser Therrien kept skating around the DD being benched issue, don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t want to call out his players or if there’s some media pressure, but I hope if DD doesn’t start producing in the next few games that he is demoted or scratched like Eller was. Can’t just keep picking on one player.

_______________________________________________________
      Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Steeltown Hab says:

I thought Eller had a good game last night given the ice he got. No PP time, etc. DDs turn to sit is now, he’s arguably been the worst hab through 5 games.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan17 says:

Some people feel Eller has not played well. I think just like the mistakes they made with leclair, bouncing him around, the same thing is happening to Eller. I agree that DD has not looked as good as last season, yet! Maybe move him to the left wing spot and put Eller back in his natural position. I have to wonder why some players aren’t asked to try a different position while others are forced to!
        DD on the wing may not work well, so maybe sit him out a game or two and see what Eller can do. It would be a shame to end up trading the kid and then having him take off somwhere else, at his natural position!

Habfan17

• ed lopaz says:

agree with the “natural position” idea. why even trade for him if you won’t play him, full time, as a center? maybe that’s another reason why Gauthier is no longer here.

5. pmaraw says:

DD is a stud, so responsible in his own end, saved a potential goal with a timely stick lift he did last night. he’ll come around offensively, don’t sweat it.

6. Sportfan says:

See even PK is being smart by not being a distraction can people leave him a lone and let him play! It’s going to be great having him out their our D will get so much stronger and scarier!

So what happens to Weber traded for a draft pick or prospect?

7. Mattyleg says:

We look awesome!
    These back-to-back games are going to be a real test, but we’ve already got the points for the first one.

Looking forward to seeing how we stack up against Boston, the old measuring stick.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. Habfan17 says:

I’d say that the only thing we Habs fans have to complain about, well, not really complain, is the fact that they are doing so well. It is a double edged sword. I was hoping they would be competative in every game and get better as the season wears on. I wanted them to have the best chance to land another very high pick, if not the first overall, now that everyone has a shot.

Having said that, I am enjoying watching them and Therrien is slowly making me a believer. So far his system seems to match the players he has.

I don’t agree with everything Subban has said or done, but he is young and impetuous. He will learn, and the Habs will be better having him. Time to move on and leave the kid alone.

Habfan17

9. Adidess says:

@Chris

Two things I’ll say about your post.

1) PK is Canadian, like you. What he is (brash?) is about as Canadian as those traits you like in other Canadians; he is different. This is 2013, there no longer is one best way to be Canadian. Let’s be more tolerant. You can’t allow Russians to play in your league and then require them to be carbon-copy of typical Canadians from Saskatchewan (they might slide on the ice after scoring a goal). Different people, different cultures, different personalities.

2. You use a number of different words and a list of character traits to essentially say one thing: PK talks too much. There it is – the one thing people have against the kid that is driving them so crazy. Think about it, why is this so insufferable in the grand scheme of things?

• Bogie Man says:

I have not posted in sometime and honestly forget my log in credentials and just got that all sorted out. Love the hockey so far. It is different with the shortened season and in some respects better for the fan. During a full season I would normally only watch the Habs play and now I find myself watching as many games as I can because all teams seem to be playing with some piss and vinegar. Now as far as Subban goes, I can take him or leave him. I think his size and strength and therefore physical presence forces us to percieve that he is a superstar but I am not convinced yet that this is the case and by the size and length of contract offered by MB it appears he is not convinced either. He has alot to prove and alot to live up to. I wish him well but would not be hurt if he was traded for another top 6 forward in short order.

10. Strummer says:

With the free Centre Ice preview about to expire I guess I’ll have to break down and call Rogers to get RDS back.

It’s not a bad deal where I am in the GTA- $7.00/ month before discounts in glorious HD and they have their alternate RDS channel included as well

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Cardiac says:

You can always stream them online for free…

– Jerry Maguire

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not in HD though…

• von says:

Beggars can’t be choosers….

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Strummer says:

Thanks all the same I’ll take 46″ High def over watching a choppy low res image on my 17″ computer screen

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• von says:

Agreed, not too mention the annoying pop-ups, commercials and sometimes unreliability you have to deal with.

French package that Bell offers, which includes RDS, runs me $10 a month. Worth it IMO until they eventually offer a pay by channel format…. Make it happen, CRTC!

_________________________________

• Just a Habs Fan says:

The center ice package for this shortened year is only 49.98 so not much more than a few months of RDS and you can see many more games. I just purchased it last week.

• Whatever says:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. Was actually kinda thinking we wouldn’t do well this year and I’d save myself both the money and the aggrevation. Also my little FU protest to the lockout. I don’t think the NHL is gonna get my subtle message though.

I’ve watched online and it’s not doing it for me. I didn’t think there would be exciting rookies to watch develop this year.

11. ed lopaz says:

Because fighting is permitted in the NHL and not in other sports, NHL players who “trash talk” are expected to back it up with their
    fists.

PK’s “swagger” is a lot of trash talking on the ice, even during practices.

At 220 LBs this season he will either be expected to back up his trash talking by fighting, or he will continue to be hated around the league.

Or, he can choose to stop trash talking.

It’s as simple as that.

• Kfourn says:

Or he can continue what he’s doing, be hated around the league, and throw other players of their game…why does he have to conform to some “code”?

_______________________________________________________

• ed lopaz says:

he can do whatever he wants to do. I agree. I was just clarifying the Swagger issue discussed below.

• Cal says:

How about because he’ll have the shit knocked out of him?
        Trash talking has no place in the game if you can’t or won’t back it up.

• Kfourn says:

Oh I’ve seen many try to “knock the shit out of him” and we usually get a nice powerplay out of it. He’ll keep doing what he’s doing and there’s not much anyone’s gonna do about it.

_______________________________________________________

• jedimyrmidon says:

PK backs it up by being a great hockey player, not a fighter.

• Strummer says:

One good thing about PK’s swagger is that he draws all the attention from the opposing team and it frees up the rest of our guys who are on the ice.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I agree Ed.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think players on his own team mind the trash talking. I don’t think that’s the issue.

I think a lot of his teammates would just like him to tone it down a tad. If you turn on the TV or look at the Internet there’s always a story about PK.

There shouldn’t always be a story when you have 36 points.

The team wants to focus on winning and not have an even larger media circus than there normally is.

If I was the coach (Laugh) I’d instruct PK to give the media one word, yes and no answers, for the entire season. Then they’ll go away.

• ed lopaz says:

I know Plekanec can not stand the trash talking, and Plekanec is one of the guys who reacts very badly to it.

If PK goes head to head against Plekanec at practice, let’s say battling in a corner for a puck, and PK skates away with the puck, he will be embarrassing Plekanec for having lost the 1 on 1 battle.

I think it will tone down this year for at least 2 reasons.

1) Markov is playing so well, its clear that PK is no longer the top dog on defence

2) The team is playing well and there is a new energy on the team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“The team is playing well and there is a new energy on the team.”

That’s all I care about. That there is no rocking the boat by Subban and that new found focus and energy is not disrupted. I hope he adds to it! We’ve got a good thing going here.

IF PK wants to skate to center ice and do a fist pump after a goal, go right a head, as long as it doesn’t disrupt the team’s focus.

• Talik Sanis says:

The criticism implied by your post derives from a narrative that does not accord with reality.

Whether he has to or not, Subban has “backed up” his mouth. There’s little reason to believe that he will not continue to do so, even if I believe it’s foolish.

The argument that a number one defenseman (or any player) is required to fight is specious, regardless of how he mouths off. His superlative play “backs up” his mouth more than his taking himself off the ice for five minutes by fighting some (relatively) useless plug who has far less positive impact on his team’s play than he does.

I apply the same logic to players whom I dislike, such as Brad Marchand. Like Subban, Marchand should be under no compulsion to fight anyone, even though I believe his case is far worse in that his actions more often defy the actual, written rules of the game than do Subban’s – he’s a bigger cheap-shot artist, if you will.

• von says:

Most of the time guys want to fight him after he throws a perfectly clean and legal body check.

Why would you want one of your best offensive defenceman fighting? I guess he should risk breaking his hand in a pointless fight and be out 2-3 months to appease cretins like yourself.

Brilliant.
      _________________________________

12. HabFab says:

A general observation on MT2 and his job so far. Those last few years being paid to critique the Habs and their coaches is REALLY paying dividends for him and us.

13. gerrybell says:

Now that PK is signed and in the fold, what is the next issue everyone can complain about and put under a microscope? its worked so well for the last 20 years…

g
    b

14. Cardiac says:

Too early to push the panic button and speculate trades. DD and Pacioretty have awesome chemistry together. They played together in Hamilton and both are off too slow starts this year. By your rational, if Gallys get into a slump, it’s like saying Gallagher is too small and we should trade him…

I think when Max comes back, give them a few more games and all will be good.

– Jerry Maguire

15. Say Ash says:

But what’s with the faceoffs? Who’s helping them with that?

16. NL Hab says:

I know Desharnais is beloved on this forum my many people, so I will try to be as diplomatic as possible. I know he had a good year last year, and it is only 5 games into the season this year. However, it was always my position last year that if you don’t have him next to Cole and Patches, then he is rendered useless. And my point is certainly being driven home with Patches out and Cole off to a slow start. He cannot carry a line by himself. If he is surrounded by top wingers then he will perform, if not, then he is a below average, very small player. I like the fact that he stepped in for Prust last night, he showed a lot of heart. I really do want him to succeed being a Franco and all, however, I can’t see him in the mix for the future of this team. What do you guys think?

Et Le But

• Cal says:

No one carries a line by himself. Even Crosby without good linemates is a lot less effective.
      He is not a below average and small player: Weber is. He can be a decent 3rd line center so why toss him out with the trash?

• NL Hab says:

I disagree. I think if he is not a top 6 center then he has to go. He is WAYYYYY too small to be a 3rd line center. The only thing he has going for himself is that we have no other centers in Hamilton to challenge him for his job.I do agree with your Weber comment. I have been waiting for this guy to progress for years. Very unfortunate. We would be lucky if we could get a 4th/5th round draft pick for him, and he was a 2nd.

Et Le But

• Hobie Hansen says:

I like Desharnais but I agree he was in the right spot at the right time last year.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I don’t think it is a so black and white.

Last year, I saw him make plays from nothing and give Pacthes and Cole oppurtunities to score. He was just as valuable to that line as his wingers.

I have not seen a lot of that yet this year. I haven’t seen him set his wingers up or make plays like he was last year. This isn’t just on his wingers having a slow start.

The whole line is off to a slow start.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Not sure what the options are at this point. I suppose you could try Eller at centre on that line, and move Desharnais to the wing. I wonder if the new system (carrying the puck into the O-zone) isn’t working for DD – not fast enough for his size to make it work? I’d guess they will give it some time to work, but MT does seem to like changing things that aren’t working. I can’t see MT waiting too much longer to see something from DD without making a change.

• adamkennelly says:

DD’s success is enabled by his wingers. When our #1 line faces off – check out who DD is up against and decide if he can “beat” him…on face-offs, in the corners, in a puck battle etc…if the answer is no most of the time – then maybe its time for an upgrade. I’m normally all for balanced lines but imagine if DD was a true #1 center…which folks, he is not…and I don’t expect the Habs to be in the mood to pay him like one either…

• B says:

Desharnais had to prove himself and work his way onto an NHL roster from the ECHL. He then had to work his way up the lines in Montreal where he played solid 2 way hockey, played on the wing at times and produced on the lower lines before getting and making the most of his opportunity to play with Cole and Pacioretty (which was the 2nd line at the time).

How many games in the AHL did Eller play? Desharnais played 183 AHL games through 4 seasons and had 184 points there (1.0 ppg). Eller played 70 AHL games and had 57 points there (0.81 ppg) and has never been back since that one season there.

In the NHL before last season, Desharnais had 23 points in 49 RS games (0.47 ppg). Eller had 19 points in 84 RS games in the NHL before last season (0.226 ppg).

I shake my head when I read suggestions that dastardly Desharnais was just handed his role and never had to earn it (or that he has just riden on the coat tails of Pacioretty and Cole). Meanwhile, excellent Eller has been screwed over and never given a fair chance? I don’t think such comparisons between the two are justified.

–Go Habs Go!–

• SlovakHab says:

Absolutely, agree with you 100%.
      I love DD’s heart and all, but he is not skilled and not effective enough to be a top-6 player and doesn’t have the size, skating and physical play to play in energy role in the bottom 6.
      I have been saying this since the season started – DD is coming crashing down to earth, and at 27 he isn’t going to get better.

He has some nice chemistry with Pacioretty and is generally a great passer, but that’s pretty much all.

17. wall2bay says:

I’m sick and tired of hearing about all the negative BS on PK’s so called attitude. The fact is (and this is the elephant in the room)…..he is black and most importantly unlike say Iginla, PK comes from Rexdale (which is as black and urban of a neighborhood as you will get in Canada). If PK was in any other sport NFL, NHL or MLB he would be the norm but in hockey it’s a problem. Swagger is accepted in those sports but is a dirty word in hockey.

The fact is their is this “hockey culture” that comes from the rural towns in Canada (and US) and is different from the culture you get from an urban diverse North American city. Clearly there’s a cultural clash.

This team is trying to change him as a person…..and that is not only wrong but could be detrimental to his progress. MT has already alluded that he wants to make him not only a better player but a better PERSON!?!? Did he say that about anybody else?

Maybe his teammates would be more happy if he were a lot like Eller? Quiet, humble and no swagger!!! He’s the polar opposite of PK and his confidence is shot!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Completely agree, there is a “hockey culture”. Not a single person would question his personality if he was in the NFL.

• Bripro says:

I don’t think race has anything to do with it, and if you asked most here, few of us could describe the demographic makeup of Rexdale, or most other towns from most other players.
      What MT said in french was worded a little differently, but the difference in its meaning clarifies what he meant to say in english.
      He’s not looking to improve PK as a person, the way it was interpreted.
      He wants to him to be more mature.
      There’s no negative perspective there.
      So find yourself a nice zen place, take a few deep breaths, and call me in the morning.

• sevenman says:

You don’t thinik racism has anything to do with it?….what’s difference between guys like Ken Linesman, Esa Tikkanen and Claude Lemeiux, three trash talkers that come to mind and P.K…. It may not be everything but it definitely plays some part in it. If P.K. was the P.K.he is now and playing lets say in the NBA then he’d be just another player….If P.K. was white and playing in the NHL I think he’d still be disliked for his chirping but probably a lot less.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Because he’s black…TOTAL BS!

I work with another diehard Habs fans who’s black and he mentioned the same thing. I told him to get a life.

I realize there is still racism in this world but sports organizations are generally the last place you’ll find racism. They are all in it to win together – black-white-yellow-brown.

The black thing is getting real old.

Oh and in MLB if you show swagger after hitting a home run, the pitcher will beam you your next time at the plate.

• Adam says:

Yeah, I guess you’d know more about racism than your black coworker, right?

Racism is still a huge issue in sports, as is homophobia. Smaller than in past years? Sure. But I don’t believe that dismissing it since a banana got thrown on the ice ONLY once last year, and one time isn’t very many, is a good approach.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just don’t buy it. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a racist bone in my body and have grown up in/around downtown Montreal and Toronto and have associated with every ethnic group to walk the earth.

I never see it among my friends, co-workers and when I play sports. I just think it’s giant cop-out.

And the more people post it and talk about the more it seems to hang around. I’m not in the locker room but in Junior hockey and the NHL there is no racism. Possibly from a redneck fan here or there, who’s a total loser and nobody cares about, but not within the team.

• wall2bay says:

I said more importantly that it’s the culture of his upbringing which is a black urban neighborhood……if you are denying one exist you’re out to lunch.

You still can do a little celebrating in MLB (ie. Sosa, Ortiz)

You forget PK was called a monkey by a Panther player last season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Was that a racist comment, for sure. However, it was said in the heat of battle. I’ve called people far worse than that in a fight and have been called every name in the book myself.

After the adrenaline settles down and the game is over you go over, apologize and shake hands and go for a beer.

And if I remember correctly, Subban brushed it aside very quickly and moved on to more important things.

• nsflatlander says:

I like Subban, and his attitude, but disagree with your jump to prejudice. I think it’s the “I’m a big shot” type of swagger that he exudes that hasn’t yet been seen as much in the NHL as it has in the NFL and NBA. I really don’t buy that this has anything to do with the color of his skin.

• wall2bay says:

But that swagger mentality come from the urban streets. Should he more like Eller? Carey Price displayed that in his first few years but nobody had a problem with that?

• Cal says:

Playing with class beats the hell out of trash talking bs swagger. NHL players have a higher standard than NBA thugs and NFL roid heads.
      Going on and on over the “better person” quote is over the top. We have no way of knowing what MT says to PK or any other player BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THERE.

• Chris says:

Swagger is fine, so long as you don’t cross over to being perceived as arrogant or a braggart.

You are correct that the NHL has a more subdued tone than the NFL, MLB or the NBA. Where I disagree is that that is a “small-town” thing. Canadians in general like to perceive themselves (whether warranted or not) as being more humble and gracious than their American neighbours. They tend to look for the same trait among their athletes.

We don’t celebrate our brash athletes, and Subban’s shtick surpasses mere swagger. He trash talks, he brags, he chirps and he runs his mouth constantly. With a less talented player, he would be labelled a pest.

So let’s be fair…he’s annoying as hell, but he also happens to be supremely talented. Guys like Vernon Fiddler, Sean Avery, Esa Tikkanen, Brad Marchand, etc. are or were disliked by peers around the league because they were annoying.

Subban is a great guy, by all accounts. But he needs to tone the act down if he wants to be taken seriously and revered to the same degree as previous Habs greats.

• Strummer says:

It’s got nothing to do with race or being from Downsview.
      If that’s the case why haven’t we heard about personality issues with Joel Ward, the Stewarts, Wayne Simmonds, Kevin Weekes, Devante Pelley-Smith, Jamal Mayers, etc

Stop looking for trouble where there is none.

Lots of players rub their teammates the wrong way for numerous reasons.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Don’t believe everything you read and, while I don’t know PK, I’d bet money he’d refute your supposition.

I am a PK fan and love his passion but would rather see him cut out the very extreme edge of his game and that just might be what the “maturation” idea is all about. A tad more control leading to perfect focus. The man has the potential to be a monster of a player.

18. bleedhabs81 says:

Is there anyone else here that lives in Calgary (or Alberta for that matter) that has Telus TV and has not been able to watch the games on Center Ice?

I watched the Florida game last week, but the NJ and Jets game were not on. A friend of mine with Shaw watched the game last night. Just wondering…

and I know I can get RDS, and I usually do, but this year I said I was not paying to watch hockey… if it wasn’t for my wife sticking it to me, I would have caved on Sunday.

• Habfan10912 says:

Bleed? I’m in lower NY and last nights game came on late around mid 1st period. The Devil game was blacked out here ad it was on a local station. I wonder if your issue is with the provider? Maybe try giving them a call?

———————————–

• bleedhabs81 says:

I don’t know. The Florida vs Habs game came on a little late. So did the Washington vs Habs game.

On the onlin Telus program schedule it said it was on two of the channels, but when I checked the TV it was the Stars feed and Islanders or something feed.

Maybe I should raise some hell before next weeks match ups.

• Rob says:

Hey, I’m in Calgary and have Telus and I also noticed that the Montreal games have not been part of the selection recently. It’s a non-issue for me as I have RDS HD, but i’m not really sure what the reason behind their exclusion is. But i can confirm that it’s not just you.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• bleedhabs81 says:

Thanks Rob.

I didn’t think it was just me. But the website lists the game and Shaw is showing the games….

• Strummer says:

I had the Devils game in SD instead of HD in suburban Toronto on Rogers.

Point is it was a free preview and Centre Ice had a disclaimer that service would vary for Cable Co. to Cable Co. , region to region

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• nsflatlander says:

I live on the east coast, on Bell Satellite and watch every habs game that I’m able. Thanks to RDS this is possible. Although, I’m originally from Winnipeg and was thinking to follow the Jets a bit as well. However, I have the same problem as you. If you are outside of the region, you can’t get a guaranteed “feed” of every game. I know Leaf and Canuck fans that are in the same boat. I really do not understand it because not only does it frustrate the fans, but someone is missing revenue as a result. If I’m a fan of a team, and live outside their region, there should be a channel that I can get to watch every game.

To head certain people off at the pass, watching on internet is not an option for me. For a good number of us in rural areas, true high speed Internet is not available.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I also don’t want to slog my computer to the basement, which is where I jog and watch the games.

I see that there is a disclaimer about national/regional broadcasts and TSN/TSN 2 and RDS on the Center Ice website, but I would think the blackout would only pertain to those in the regional coverage area when the game is not nationaly televised (or is RDS considered National now?)

Furthermore, it hasn’t been blacked out for all games. I sent a message to Telus. Let’s see what they come back with.

I might be secretly adding RDS back to my package… do you think my wife would notice it was in french?

• nsflatlander says:

Some of us (where I work) have tried talking to the cable companies, but they say it’s out of their hands. It has to do with something about regional syndication. The games that you are seeing “blacked out” are like that because they were only “bought” (I assume the networks from the NHL) to be broadcast in the region where they are from. With the habs, RDS must have some deal where they can show all games to all regions. I’m sure there are certain channels down in the states that are the same. All I know is that as a “secondary” Jets fan there is no possible way, no matter how much I’m willing to pay, that I can get every single game.

• bleedhabs81 says:

That is what I assumed, but it is not like the game is blacked out per say, but a completely different game is on.

Oh well, free preview is over tomorrow anyway, and tonight it is on TSN.

• Houston Habs Fan says:

I’m in Toronto and have Bellfibe which I think is similar to Telus TV. I got the Winnipeg game last night but not the New Jersey game and I’m not sure why that is. Makes me think twice about getting Center Ice but I think with my system I have to get a French bundle to get RDS and I don’t want to do that.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I have to do that too, but $7 is way better than $15 a month, and there is never any doubt that I can watch the game.

You can miss some of the subtle things in a game if you don’t understand much french, but I feel you actually pay closer attention because of it.

You don’t just rely on the commentator saying that so and so has not had a shift yet, you kind of just keep track for yourself. The only real thing that bothers me is when something weird happens and I can’t understand what the logic was behind, say, a bad penalty or strange face off location

• FB says:

I believe from previous discussions with Rogers and Bell if the game is on a local station (RDS or TSN-Montreal) it’s blocked from the Centre Ice package.

19. Phil C says:

Last year’s problems:

– Blowing leads and losing
    – Top line dominating but team still losing
    – Having to trade for Kaberle to improve the defense
    – Not enough NHL calibre forwards to form a fourth line

This year’s problems:

– Blowing leads and winning
    – Top line shutdown but team still winning
    – Having to scratch Kaberle to improve the defense
    – Having so many good forwards that Eller sits

I like this year’s problems.

20. Bripro says:

I wonder if anyone else noticed last night, after Cole’s goal, how both Gallys literally dove into his arms, to congratulate him.
    He had the biggest smile I’ve seen on his face since sometime last year.
    And that was usually when neither the Goat or JM were around.
    The energy those two kids give off is addictive.
    I hope they carry it straight through to the end of June, if possible.
    What a difference a year makes.

• Habfan10912 says:

It sure does Bri. I notice the smiles on every goal. These guys seem to have thus team thing down, huh.

———————————–

• commandant says:

Winning is contagious, infectious, and makes a team happier and closer together.

Losing does the opposite.

What a difference a year makes, indeed…. a hot start like this is something a team can carry for a while, just like last years bad start lingered.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Say Ash says:

And why not? Cole’s goal was a huge one, our first tying goal so far.

• Chris says:

Not to be a nit-picker, but we’re starting to approach a Jacques Martin pile-on here.

Erik Cole was awfully happy last season when he scored against Ottawa last season, high-fiving the referee on his way by. That goal came in the doldrums of the season, but Cole was happy that he scored.

I think the kids are very excited. But Cole has generally been a very happy guy when he scores. He’s happy with Therrien, he was happy with Cunneyworth and he was happy with Martin.

I suspect you could put Darth Vader behind the net and he’d have a huge grin. I think he was very frustrated with the bounces the previous couple of games (he had some very negative body language), but goals tend to change that in a hurry.

• Bripro says:

Good nit-pick Chris. ;)
        As for last year, my brother-in-law saw Cole in the Bell centre hallway (at Metro level) talking to a couple of reporters, and said when Cole saw the Goat coming down the hallway, he pulled an about-face, and was gone.
        I’m convinced the encouraging moves and new philosophies from the new management have contributed to a change in frame-of-mind, IMHO.
        As for piling on Martin, I’m not saying anything I didn’t say all of last year.
        I’d bet he’d barely crack a smile if he won the Loto Max.

21. durocher says:

“PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW: Rob Rossi recently reported Penguins defenseman Simon Despres might be available for the right price. The Pens were rumored in the market for a winger.”

MB should take a hard look at Despres, who is big (6’4″), has offensive capabilities, played for Gallant, and won the Memorial Cup. We do have some blue chip blueliners in the system (i.e., Beaulieu, Tinordi), but it wouldn’t hurt to have another (Cube is signed only for this season, Markov is only signed only through next season and has had his injury problems, knock on wood; Weber isn’t developing; Kaberle, well, that’s self-explanatory).

We also have three 2nd round picks this upcoming draft (Calgary’s, from the Bourque trade; and Nashville’s, from the AK46 trade). We lost our 4th round pick, though, in the trade for the Wiz.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hmmm, 2nd round picks from the Flames and the Preds… those could almost low 1st rounders if those two teams continue to do poorly. I don’t know, I’m really curious to see what Timmins can do with more second round picks after last year’s draft since he hasn’t had many to work with recently.

• commandant says:

I like Depres, but if they are looking for a winger, that means they are looking for immediate top 6 help to play with one of Malkin/Crosby.

I don’t think we have a spare winger of that caliber to give up, unfortunately.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• durocher says:

True, but a winger may not be all they are looking for. If Eller becomes expendable after MaxPower comes back, he could go the other way.

• commandant says:

Despres is a top prospect. If they are dangling him, its to fill that immediate hole, and they will want a significant player back. Eller isn’t gonna cut it (not even as part of a package). They will need the centerpiece in any trade to be a goal scoring winger.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFanSince72 says:

Erik Cole?

Obviously we’d be tanking if we did that but we are one Marky Mark knee injury away from that anyway.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

22. Lokee says:

It was maxpac who likes the Bison

23. Lokee says:

Subban bought Buffalo not cow.

24. CCL says:

If they have a center with the Bull Dogs who could be brought up due to an injury. they would have to trade DD in order for Eller to have a regular position at center. other than that. Eller is not gonna get the ice time at center and for sure. don’t break up the 3rd line for him.

25. habfan53 says:

Some thoughts on Michel Therrien:
    Most here thought it was a bad move to bring him back based on his record 10 years ago.
    Who of us are the same person we were 10 years ago?
    Montreals problem was we brought in coaches with no NHL experience Vigneault, Therrien and Julien. All had to learn the NHL game.
    All are now more mature and BETTER coaches then when they left here.

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• Habfan10912 says:

53 you make a solid point. I read an article in a magazine a while ago about finding the perfect NFL coach and it said something along the lines of your post. It cited Belichik and Coughlin as two examples. Perhaps that theory has some legitimacy for the NHL coaches as well.

———————————–

26. Strummer says:

Montreal:
    Where PK is PK and the cattle are nervous.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

27. Thomas Le Fan says:

French players do not get special treatment. What they do get is special pressure. Of course, the Quebecois and the team want French players to succeed, they play in Quebec afterall and their fan base is mostly French speaking. What’s wrong with that? Do you think Minnesotans don’t want native sons to succeed?
    Desharnais is a hard worker and deserves the chances he’s gotten.

28. lavie says:

Hope this political game (towords Subban) ends sooner rather than later.

29. aroma says:

Re: Eller. He has not really had the same opportunity as DD. He must have the chance to play his natural position with two wingers who don’t have hands of stone. Then we’d see just how underachieving he really iis.

30. frontenac1 says:

A Little Teaser to get you in the mood for tonight Amigos.

31. Rainrocket16 says:

11 Month’s did I miss something? Has it really been 11 months that P.K. has not worn the CH?

32. wd40 says:

Once he scores and lays out the hits, and he will, I really hope this crap goes away.

33. Habilis says:

Brendan Gallagher is the first 5th round pick from the 2010 draft to make an NHL roster.

Trevor Timmins, you sir, are a genius.

34. Bill says:

HIO Opinion: David Desharnais gets a free pass for being Quebecois.

Reality Check: No one had to fight harder to get a chance to crack the line-up and then to stick with it.

HIO Opinion: Eller could do just as well as Desharnais if he “got the chance”.

Reality Check: Eller’s had the same chance Desharnais had. Difference is, when Desharnais got his chance on the roster, he made it impossible for the team not to put him on the top line.

Not saying Eller CAN’T do it … just saying he hasn’t so far. And I can’t believe there are people who think Desharnais got special treatment for being French … it is so far from the truth.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SmartDog says:

I agree with the first point. Are we going to pile on Cole because he has only 1 goal? It’s ridiculous what people are saying about DD.

But I disagree about the Eller thing. Eller has NOT had a chance with two top 6 linemates, and he should get it. He’s still young and can be better if not used like a utility guy.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habsfan0 says:

“And I can’t believe there are people who think Desharnais got special treatment for being French … It is so far from the truth.”

And you know this to be a FACT because….?

• K-hab25 says:

And you know that he does?

• Bill says:

Because if he were getting “special treatment” he would have cracked the roster long ago, instead of having to dominate first the ECHL for a year, then the AHL for two-plus years to prove his worth.

He made it the hard way, just as everyone should. Where is the special treatment?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habsfan0 says:

I NEVER claimed he,or anybody else has received special treatment.

I was only questioning your sources when you’ve posted something as a FACT rather than an OPINION.

• Bill says:

… I am not sure how you can call it an opinion … it is actually a fact that Desharnais was undrafted, played a year in the ECHL, two+ years in the AHL, all with great success, before being granted a shot at the NHL roster.

If you want to call it an opinion that the above does not constitute special treatment, okay. You must be a lawyer, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

I most definitely am on your side Bill. DD, IMHO, had as good a year as PK last year. He deserves more respect.

• bwoar says:

Exactly my thoughts on those two players, thanks Bill.

There isn’t enough room for Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Desharnais and Eller at centre, strickly speaking offensively. One of DD or Eller has got to pull up their socks and assert themselves this year. We’ve seen that in a key role, DD is struggling a bit so far without Max Pac and a Cole at 100%. But he’s a step above Eller to date, whether by age & experience or talent or drive or what have you.

I would like to see the “loser” between those two traded for a #3 C who can win some bloody faceoffs. It’s a role that absolutely should be addressed at the deadline if the playoffs are in the picture.

“thoroughbred”

• HabFanSince72 says:

More to the point, how can people who believe that French players get preferential treatment continue to support the team?

It is both unethical and self-defeating to support such a team.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habsnyc says:

Fans want both Eller and Desharnais to succeed. There is more than enough room on this team for all the young forwards, even Leblanc.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• ooder says:

I just think the other teams are keying in on him and Cole more. Which is why he is struggling a bit. He needs to find a way around that, which might take a few games

• ZepFan2 says:

Eller played center between Cole and Patches? I don’t recall that ever happening.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• VancouverHab says:

I was about to post an assertion of the opposite view but reading your post I’d best hold my fire.

Can you explain why DD seems to get what I called earlier the warm tongue bath day in day out from media & H-I/O posters? I admire him & wish him success, but there is just no way he is an NHL first line centre: and only on a weak team a second–not on a contender.

With all DD’s protected match-ups, it does seem to me that Eller is a far better bet and a legitimate possibility for first-line success, if handled right.

35. habs-fan-84 says:

With this warm weather in southern Ontario today, it feels like we should be getting ready for a playoff game tonight. Oh how I love spring hockey!

36. Ryanbostonredsox says:

Hey all, die-hard Habs fan here. I’m starting my first pregame show for only 15-30 minutes on talkshoe. If a few of you could listen. I’d be happy with 10 listeners. I’d really like to get this started. Here’s the link. The show starts at 3:20 PM EST. Thanks. http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/126331

• mark-ID says:

At work, or else I’d give it a listen.

37. commandant says:

Max’s weekly look around the NHL

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

38. habs-fan-84 says:

I think in a few weeks time, people will be saying things to the effect of “forgot how good PK was”, similar to how people are commenting on Markov now.

• K-hab25 says:

I don’t know, I was on Bergevin’s side during the negotiations, but I definitely remember how good PK is.

• Les-Habitants says:

Watched a few highlights…it’ll be nice to have him back.
        I figure, they’ll start him with Cube – and then eventually back with Gorges after a few games. I don’t see Diaz being dislodged from the 1st PP with Markov, they’re having great chemistry right now, but will be the first sub on D

• The Jackal says:

Yeah exactly.
      HIO before the season started: Markov’s contract is too big, he is not the same player, he hasn’t done well in the KHL during the lockout, he’s lost a step.
      HIO now: Markov is awesome (and he is).

HIO during PK saga: PK is asking for too much, he is selfish, etc. (when there is no info to point to that)
      HIO now: Glad PK signed, but I hope he doesn’t mess up the room. (Again, what the???)
      HIO in a week: PK is awesome.

• Chris says:

Markov absolutely HAS lost a step.

He’s always been my favourite player, and he’s the guy I zero in on when he’s on the ice, as he has been for years.

And what I’m seeing this year is very different: I simply can’t recall that many instances of Markov diving to break up a play. He always relied on his skating and positioning to get back.

Now, I’ve basically see him fully lay out at least twice per game for the past few. That is some VERY high risk play…the amazing thing is that he has managed to get a stick on the puck every time. But it is going to blow up eventually and land him on the TSN highlight reel for the wrong reasons.

39. Bash says:

What is PK’s weight, body fat etc. since last season? There were reports that he had gained some muscle.

On a related note I can’t help but look forward to our first Bruins tilt.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

40. tb_vision says:

Good call: PK not having any real contact with the team , while they prepare for tonights game.

• wall2bay says:

• Mustang says:

I really could not care less what colour a player is but I must admit that I hate “swagger” in pro sports. This is why I no longer have anything to do with football. Watching these huge players dance around like idiots every time they do something that they are paid to do, makes me ill. I will stick to hockey and yes, I could do without some of P.K.’s swagger.

• ZepFan2 says:

You’re sick and tired of hearing BS about PK, so what do you do, throw some BS negative stuff at his teammate instead.

Nice touch!

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• The Jackal says:

You must know a lot about the room dynamics, pleas tell us more than an obtuse media statement!!!

41. The Juice says:

Whose roster spot is PK replacing?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

42. arcosenate says:

So, I guess he plays on the weekend. Will be very interesting.

And Kaberle sits?

He actually played well last night. Maybe a little competition will light some arses on fire.

43. tulles says:

am I the only one that feels Eller should be the center and move davey to the wing. desharnais has looked terrible with a capital T this year. Komisarik rode Markov years back and its looking pretty obvious to me that Desharnais was riding Patches all these years. I know you don’t tinker with whats working but the future has the new #27 centering patches and they will be a phenomenal 1-2