Subban back in tonight?

Don’t be surprised if P.K. Subban is back in the Canadiens lineup when they play the Washington Capitals tonight. Subban, who has been a healthy scratch for the past two games, had a heart-to-heart talk with coach Jacques Martin during the morning skate and it expected he’ll be in the lineup. The big question is which role he will play.

He could be paired with Hal Gill if Josh Gorges is scratched. Gorges has been labouring with a right knee injury. He skated this morning and is a game-time decision. If Gorges does go, Subban will be dressed as a seventh defenceman for insurance and will be available for the power play.

Travis Moen, who missed the Islanders game Sunday because of the flu, is also a game-time decision.

A broken nose will keep Drummondville native Mathieu Perreault out of the lineup and the Caps have recalled Keith Aucoin from Hershery to replace him.

1. Bugs says:

The people have a right to know, Hober. Just doin our duty over dere. Sure wish I didn’t have to sometimes. But I’m a trooper. And often must suffer the zings and slings from portions of the populace who prefer a snug pair of blinders over some straight dope. But we forge on regardless. Out of Duty. Now, that’s not me talkin, baby; it’s the Canadian Freedom of Information Legislation.

Don’t hate the playa; hate the game, dawg.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order:

2. Hobie Hansen says:

I think PK Subban can thank Carey Price for helping him avoid this ugly situation from happening earlier in the season. Earlier in the season Price was there to stop literally every mistake, many of them Subban’s.

Since Price has come back down to earth and stopped playing god, Subban’s situation is where it would have been if he had been playing in front of a good to average goalie all along.

There is no way Subban is as good as Paul Coffey, Phil Housley or Bobby Orr so he has no reason to be running all over the ice with or without the puck. His numbers in junior were good but not spectacular and he was solid in the World Juniors and in the AHL but not a superstar.

Can he be the number one defenseman on the power play and be a leader on this team down the road, yes! Is it also possible that he may just be another decent defenseman who takes a regular shift, yes!

People who think a guy like Jacques Martin who has more experience behind the bench than Subban does on this planet, deserves to be fired over his handling of the situation have no business even commenting on hockey matters.

In conclusion, I project that Subban will be a very good 1st or 2nd defenseman on this club for years to come and Martin is doing the right thing to help him get there.

3. Rudy says:

Thanks for reminding me to watch the game at 4pm!

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

4. Hobie Hansen says:

Stop posting blurbs and the link to that garbage site!!!

Here is our team standings, in the 30 team league, compared to last week boys and girls.

said I was not going to criticize J. Martin this year after the great
    run in the play offs last year. But does he really have what it takes
    to get this team to the next level ?. I sure don’t know.

If he could only match his great defensive game with an offensive game, we would be at the top of the heap.

Goals Against—83,  We are in   3rd place.   Last week we were in   2nd place.

Total Points—–42,  We are in  15th place.   Last week we were in  12th place.

Goals For——–93,  We are in  21st place.   Last week we were in  19th place.

Something is going to break here somewhere. I do smell a trade or movement behind the bench coming.

6. Bugs says:

Is it fersure that PK is back tonight? Reading some posts that consider this a fait accompli, I’m still left to wonder if the coach would be so indulgent. According to our source again, after the punch given to Pleky, the pile-drive executed on Lappy, and the backward souplex delivered on the Hamr, the coach had seen enough and called PK off the ice, whereupon “…the kid came off, (still) steaming with “intensity”, (…) pushed the coach face first into the back wall, grabbed him in a full Nelson, turned him around, and managed to smash his head at least three or four times against the sideboard ledge before Assistant Coach Kirk Muller succeeded in yanking him off.
    “Completely normal.” said star Canadiens sniper Michael Cammalleri. “It’s a physical game and you have to respect the kid’s commitment to it.”

I dunno…if Jack Marty can show some indulgence after that, more power to’m, I say, cuz he’s a better man than I am; tell you that fer nuthin.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

7. theflower says:

I have not accepted nor will accept Jackie as the coach of this team, oh yes he teaches good defence and yes I took heat for saying from day one he is not the guy, but I stand by it and it’s good to see so many of you starting to see the light.  He is like a Honda Civic, boring, slow, but fairly efficient and reliable.  You can get from point A to point B, but you will never win the race.  Jackie his entire life has been and still is average, no other word really works for him, but average.  He is not a star coach, he does not shine, he does not inspire, he does not enlighten, he just gives orders follows a system and safely gets a few more wins than losses, he would make a great Leaf coach actually because that’s all they ever aspire to be, I hope one day soon, we will get  a coach who can be more than this.

8. theflower says:

Jackie Martin, I have said from day one is incapable of leading this team to the promised land.  His efforts in dealing with highly talented young players “with an ego” in the past and present have been awful at best.  He destroyed Spezza’s confidence in Ottawa and is doing the same to PK here in Montreal.  It’s no surprise really considering flamboyance and style are not words you would ever use to describe Jackie.  I have been a Habs fan since 1966 and even though I am enjoying my slingbox from sunny Ibiza, Spain it is still frustrating as hell to watch old dogs like Jackie not learn new tricks.  I hope you all enjoy the snow, while at least I have the hot sun to make this Jackie Martin hockey somewhat bearible.

9. lenny says:

PK will score a power play goal tonight

10. habs365 says:

Habs management like bringing in new faces…whither you can play or not, don’t seem to matter that much…the last 17 years is proof.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

Yeah I agree and I’m not sure that trading a good young player plus a 1st rounder is a great idea in today’s NHL. A month ago the Habs seemed to be right there with the best teams in the league and aquiring Iginla for that price could be considered. Now, not so sure…

I think the best thing to do now is go after a good defenseman, not for a 1st rounder, and maybe a real solid third line player who can take an honest shift, score 10-15 goals and drop the gloves with the big boys.

12. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

PK must be set free…LET MY PEOPLE GO…it was said, now it is written.

1:The N.A.G.S. (North American Grit Speed) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: The NHL-REF-SYNDICATE will do everything in its power to deny us the cup. 3. up WHITE/SHULTZ/PAX now.

13. joshua94k says:

It’s too bad that Ron Corey was the team president during Savard’s reign as GM. Corey forced him to trade, Chelios, was the reason Lafleur retired as he refused to let Savard trade him. Later Corey wanted Roy and Carbonneau traded.

As for Jacques Martin, it took him forever to reunite the Cammalleri, Pleks & Kostitsyn line and he still doesn’t understand that Subban is his best offensive defenceman and he needs to pair him with a veteran and not Picard. It is that pairing that has hurt both players.

14. SmartDog says:

Re. Subban-Hamrlik, don’t forget that Hamrlik helped to shape Phaneuf into a better D (still an a-hole, and not what the Laffs think he is by a long shot, but better).  Hamr’s a strong dude, and looks like your classic blue-collar dad before he’s had his coffee so he’s the right guy to put Subie in his place.  He’d be a good mentor.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

Unfortunately, with Sutter gone the chance of a Jarome Iginla for three plumbers trade has vanished.

16. patience is a virtue says:

“He’s coached a huge amount of games and has a very good record. But he
    is the guy who gets you to the big game and loses. I have no doubt that
    JM could get this team to the SCF. But winning in the final? Chances
    seem wafer-thin.”

I agree with your positive assessment of JM, but not your more recent disillusionment. What possible evidence could you have for saying that Martin can’t win the SCF with this team?  IF he could get them there, I’d say the chances would be good to win (based on whatever would have happened to get that far, which is a BIG IF).

The timing wasn’t right for Boucher.  Unfortunately.  Impossible to predict that he would have been ready when Bob had to make his decision in spring 2009.  OB?  He had way more than enough chances here.  Great that things are going well for him with the Avs.   Subban?  He was making some pretty horrendous errors for a guy with so much attitude.  I think JM is handling him very well. Just like Eller.  They will both be excellent, well rounded NHLers, in part thanks to Martin.  For now we have to accept the fact that they are rookies, not saviours.

17. MTLForever says:

Nattinen for Finland, our prospect, looking pretty good over at World Juniors

18. MTLForever says:

when he plays more the JM way he plays like crap 😉

19. dallyd31 says:

Calling PK the best d-man and best player on the team is about as far fetched and ridiculous as it gets. He is a rookie who has had some good games and some brutal ones.  He is a decent player now, who will be VERY good as time goes on.

If Serve Savard really beleives that he is even more out to lunch than I thought.

20. SmartDog says:

Beat me to it.

Kids these days…

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Rolston is completely finished, that’s as dumb as the people who wanted to sign Guerin earlier in the season or bring back MAB.

22. BJ says:

I’ve also had enough JM coaching. He didn’t coach the team to the conference final he was Halaked’ into it. This year up until recently it was Price. He has the players confused which is probably his own mind set. We don’t have a great team but a decent one to build with our youth providing they are given a chance based on their talents and not ones to be invented by JM & CO on their behalf.

23. observer says:

claim rolston if he slides that far.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Your comments are a bit harsh but generally speaking you’re right. He’s often out of position after making bad pinching decisions or trying to throw monster hits, he does telegraph his shot and refuses to change his style a bit to get back into the lineup. We should never trade Subban, at least not now, but he clearly isn’t getting the message to simplify things and stop running around like a fool.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

yes it is.

26. lenny says:

this is a joke right?

27. Hobie Hansen says:

So Sutter has stepped down in Calgary. Maybe they’re thinking of hitting the rebuild button and we can grab Robin Regher for something not too expensive? Send them David Desharnais and former Calgary Hitman star, Ian Schultz for Regher.

28. SmartDog says:

With Subban coming back I wonder who Jacque’s Wheel of Donuts is going to bench next?

29. SmartDog says:

Sure Price’s star has faded a little but Fleury is an average goalie on a powerhouse team.

30. punkster says:

Huge mistake bringing Subban back in. With our depleted D corps and old guys all he’ll bring is more out of position plays, end-to-end rushes ending in being caught deep, huge telegraphed windups and a dumbass penalty here and there. Not to mention he’ll trash talk the Caps stars and get deked out of his shorts by Ovi for a few highlight reel goals. Trade him while his value is high. DO IT PG!!!

31. Kythehabsfan says:

I didn’t mind the 1st couple of benchings. But getting benched repeatedly does not make any sense for his development, plus he is the only offensive sparkplug we have on D. This is a good opp having him paired with a stay at home partner in Gill. Exposing him on the 3rd pair with Picard is asking for trouble.

Don’t agree about Weber. This is another guy we need to get some in game experience for – at Spacek and Picard’s expense. We will never grow our talented young D by playing journeyman D ahead of them.

32. kempie says:

Ya know what? This has been what I’ve been quietly thinking to myself since the blowing up of this team two summers ago. (And for the record, this is not me officially snapping. You’ll know when that happens). I don’t like Jacques Martin. I don’t hate him or think he’s an awful coach. At least I didn’t before now. But I’ve had JM on a pretty long leash because, well he kept winning. After last year, how can you not like the guy that coaches you to the ECF? He’s coached a huge amount of games and has a very good record. But he is the guy who gets you to the big game and loses. I have no doubt that JM could get this team to the SCF. But winning in the final? Chances seem wafer-thin.

So last year I didn’t complain too much about what happened between JM and guys like OB, SK, MAB, Latts and now PK. I thought the team that beat WAS & PIT were well coached and very well-prepared. But then I had to watch us play smashmouth hockey against PHI with MAB taking regular shifts on D instead of OB? How does that seem like a good idea?

Now to have PK eating hot dogs at this point in time is ridiculous and, if this is what players have to pass through to get into the lineup, this “JM Gauntlet” whatever it is, we’re screwed.

PK is a huge asset to this team and the list of “whatever happeneds” is too long now. This is getting ugly and I’m getting seriously pissed-off. If it’s either PK or JM, I don’t hesitate now on that choice for a second. I realize the contracts in play etc., but the messing up of the Guy Boucher grooming schedule is getting hard to overlook.

No wonder guys are getting rough & ugly at practise. JM better reveal his master plan to the world soon and get back to picking up points. Like tonight. Knock off this crazy behaviour and coach right FFS.

33. Born in a Bad Year says:

Plus 10, leading his team in hits, even strength time on ice, and blocked shots per game.

Where does a player like that fit into Martin’s system?

34. BJ says:

No argument from me. JM’s psychological lessons are well on their way to hampering or ruining a few more careers, but thats in step with management. I wish Serge Savard was 10-15 years younger and would take over as GM and would probably find a coach thats with the times. Here is a post from yesterday that someone shared, a quote from Savard that says it all:

I listened to the game on CJAD last night and Serge Savard had some interesting things to say about PK.  Firstly, he said there was no justification for the extended benching and he was stumped by JM and his decision.  Secondly, he said not only is PK the BEST defense-man on the team, he is the BEST player period on the team.”

35. punkster says:

‘Course, your Laffs are in far better shape.

36. Born in a Bad Year says:

Wow, their coach throws himself off the bridge, even when the team is still playing for him.

Martin, show the team some respect.  Over the cliff with you now…

37. punkster says:

Exaggerate much?

1) The problem is his propensity to put himself out of position with that move.

2) Same as above

3) If you have a shot please, please PLEASE!!! stop telegraphing it with that 3 second, swing for the rafters windup. Everyone knows you’re going to do it and the entire opposing team has time to set up, get ready, position themselves, put on a pot of tea and wait for you to unleash that beautifully planned shot right at the goalie’s chest.

4) This statement is ridiculous. Nobody’s bad mouthing him for showing enthusiasm. He’s being benched for making rookie errors and not showing that he has learned from his mistakes. (He’s not a god, ya know, just a kid who plays a very good, exciting and sometimes reckless game. He’ll learn and he’ll be fine)

5) See items 1 and 2.

38. MTLForever says:

Fleury passes Price in All-Star fan balloting

39. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’ll never understand the logic behind benching Subban. With Markov gone for the year, who do we have on this roster that can take his place? Subban, that’s who. JM’s affection for Picard makes no sense whatsoever. Yes he’ll score the odd goal on the pp but he along with webber are wreck trains on the ice.

Subban, though a rookie, deserves a lot more respect from this coaching staff because all they’re doing is ruining his development/confidence and agreeing with Mike Bitchards & that goofball on hnic. Sorry folks but I see a 1 & 7 road trip. Thank you JM.

40. punkster says:

According to some here, anybody could do a better job than JM. This is our opportunity to prove that. Hire him, now, before his value goes up. DO IT PG!

41. Habsrule1 says:

Yeah, we would have definitely won those games if OB was playing.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

42. StevieRay says:

Pleks in the same sentance with Gio/Gomer/Cammi … very unfair ..Pleks is our superstar or the closest we have to one … there is just no quit in him !

The other 3 …. ordinary / unconsistant….

43. BJ says:

In Calgary the clean up begins. Sutter hands in his resignation (or more probably was asked to vacate).

44. StevieRay says:

mj my man … you must not of had enough turkey at xmas ..your’re a bit delirious..another Gomez type trade ..get a grip my man ..that’s the last thing we need …and showing no love for my man Benny ..poo on you !

Merry xmas !

45. BJ says:

1) I like AK 46, they should let him do what he can best and not try to modify him into what he’s not.

2) About the same. Not defensively ultra responsible but adequate.

3) No its not the playoffs.

4) Same comments apply to Pouliot as AK.

5) No. He’s an OK fourth liner but would need a White and a bigger guy on the line. That could spell ENERGY.

6) No way.

7) We need toughness to compliment our smaller forwards and a tough physical defenseman instead of Spacek.

46. mjames says:

A few questions observations on the state of our team going into tonight’s game.

(1) I know AK46 doesn’t score and is soft on the backcheck but if you watch him during the game you will see that he creates most of the scoring chances for the Pleks with his passing. I agree that if he would play consistently the team would be so much better. He is the one player that can make a difference in the offensive zone.

(2) AK46 is more defensively responsible than Gomez. Gomez does not back check. His role is to carry the puck to the opposing teams blue line.

(3) An injured Gorges is better than an healthy Weber or Subban.

(4) Pouliot should be benched tonight given the turnovers committed in the Islanders’ game by Gorges, Hamlik, and Picard .

(5) Moen is a better player than AK46 and Pouliot. His “grit” (god i love that word) compensates for his turnovers ( at least two a game) and lack of scoring.

(6) PG should try to trade AK46 and Pouliot for Moen and Pyatt clones.

(7) PG has the cap room now. Maybe he can swing another Gomez type trade

As much as I would love to win tonight I am afraid we will get crushed. If Price lets in softy like in the Islanders game we will fold.

See Tommy as they say great minds …………..

47. 123456 says:

NO – but thanks for ruining the story!!

48. Beaver Paladin says:

The Habs cannot get down early, they seem incapable of coming from behind.

They need a gamebreaker player, who may in time be Subban but his confidence is shot, hopefully not forever.

That said, Go Habs!

49. lenny says:

PK…I hope he plays within the system tonight, what does that mean?

1) when you get the puck, dont skate into the other teams zone, pass it right away.

2) never join the rush…ever!

3) if you have a shot, pass it right away to someone else

4) never ever and I mean ever show any enthusiasm

5) Don;t ever go further than 2 feet deep into your opponents zone

IF PK does all the above, perhaps he will warrant playing more than 2 games in a row.

50. Bugs says:

Well, well! Comin around, are we, Numbers?

Did you get to the part where Peter Kyle applies the full nelson?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

51. zak says:

We are now in 8 th place. PG that was a really good trade getting rid of OB. Bournival should be ready to join the habs in about 4 yrs.

52. 123456 says:

Let’s go Paul Kevin – give’em heck tonight!!

53. marshx says:

should be running 7 D most nights, help rest those older guys 🙂

54. Favorite Son says:

Laps, Poo, Tits and Pyatt? Come on, you know that’s garbage.

55. TommyB says:

All hail PK SUBBAN!  I can’t tell you how confident this makes me that the Habs will win tonight if Martin re-inserts Subban into the lineup.  After all, all Habs fans are aware that he is the answer.  Put PK into the lineup if you want a gaurantee to break the slump.  Martin is a complete idiot for taking Subban out of the lineup and causing a losing streak.  Martin is only concerned with making his grinders look good.  In fact, God (who is a Habs fan) probably had to intervene here, ordering JM to make this move.  Maybe I shouldn’t even watch this game.  The outcome is a given.  PK SUBBAN is going to save the day, and our season.  Should be fun reading HIO posts tomorrow.

56. Storm Man says:

LMAO still more Iggy talk, So let’s see Laps, Poo,Tits, Pyatt and toss in a few cases of Dos Equis. I think we need help on D. Just a suggestion :).

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

57. habby27 says:

Easy to see that one the outside and how it effects the team after the fact…

I’m not speaking for everyone but I think the majority of habs fans never liked the JM signing. I’ve said all along that we need Kirk as our head coach.

I’ve thought about an Iggy trade too honestly.  Not really a fan and he’s over rated but its a position we need and he’d give us a real chance at a playoff run.

24/7 HBO tonight boooooooys… hopefully we dust so they can play the ‘i just got dusted music’ in the show

58. solomio says:

Well BJ you could be right. When a team plays so damn good at the first of the season and tanks in the middle I figure it’s a coaching thing.

I think the way PK is being handled can have a demoralizing effect on the team. I think it affects Carey quite a bit.

Things that appear to have gone wrong:

Riding the Old Czech defencement too hard. Hammer is very good. Spacek is worrisome but as a tandem they do really well but are not the studs they used to be. They need to be given some games off every now and then to recoup.

I figure Picard is not a top 6 Dman.

Weber has got to make significant strides faster to get where we need him.

Actually I’d like to see Alex Henry up for awhile to bring some pain and punishment. I’m sure he’s a competent stay at home Dman.

We’ve got to let PK play and work out his problems.

Perhaps riding Carey Price too hard. I know he’s young, a thoroughbred and all that stuff but Auld has played 2 games I think. He needs some more game time and Carey needs to rest some.

Offensively we are simply put not scoring enuff goals to win these hockey games.

Pouliot’s got talent no doubt about it but he’s got to find chemistry and start putting the puck in the net or the Habs have to let him go in search of somebody else who can.

Same can be said for Kostitsyn (sp). Lets face it he’s not putting the puck in the net as much as he should be and that can be said about too many of his years with the Habs. Habs have to let him go in search of somebody else who can.

Lapierre. Yaps a lot , can’t fight , and doesn’t score. I don’t really see his contribution as being all that valuable. Habs have to let him go in search of somebody else who can.

Pyatt…hard worker, fast skater, doesn’t score.

Darche….hard worker, brings it every night, experienced and enthusiastic but doesn’t score.

Moen… the only one on the team that does fight but not very well I’m afraid.Works hard but hands of stone doesn’t score.

For better or worse Gomez, Cammaleri, Gionta & Pleks are our superstars. Voulmes have been written. They are good enuff but also need a talented supporting cast and they’ve got to score more.

For some O excitement I’d like to see the smurf Desharnais come up to play with Maxpac and Gomez.

Would Calgary let Iggy go for Laps, Poo , Tits and Pyatt ? Just a suggestion.

Stay thirsty my friends.