Subban and Eller file for salary arbitration

(File photo: Allen McInnis /The Gazette)

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban and forward Lars Eller are among 20 NHL players who have filed for salary arbitration.

The hearings are scheduled from July 20 to Aug. 4 in Toronto, according to the NHL Players’ Association, which released the list late Saturday afternoon after the filing deadline.

Players and teams can continue to negotiate until an arbitration hearing. And, as The Gazette’s Pat Hickey has noted in the past, players who file for arbitration typically reach a deal before they have to present their case.

Subban and Eller are restricted free agents.

The Canadiens’ contract talks with Subban aren’t expected to be easy because of the big pay hike the 25-year-old defenceman is headed towards. Subban signed a two-year, $5.75 million deal with the Habs in January 2013 after missing training camp because of the contract dispute. He went on to win the Norris Trophy that season as the NHL’s top defenceman.

Eller, 25, earned $1.5 million this past season–his fourth with the Canadiens. He posted totals of 12-14-26 in 77 games. He was second in scoring for the Habs during their deep playoff run with 13 points, just behind Subban who led the team with 14.

If a player opts for salary arbitration–and if it goes to a hearing–the club can ask for a one or two-year salary-arbitration award.

The arbitration route also excludes the possibility of offer sheets from other clubs.

For the full list of players opting for salary arbitration click here.

1. Cal says:

New thread to flex on.

2. Maritime Ronn says:

24 Cups says:
    Sam Anas.

—————–
    5’7″-148 pounds

Maybe play him in 1 exhibition game against Boston and line him up next to Chara. (can’t do it-would cost a contract)
    It would be like going to the circus…..

3. PuffNStuff says:

No new hab news I see just some old dudes still talking hockey trying to flex. Its summer dudes get out with your mains YOLO
    This board needs some fresh young blood. #whocares #thereislifeoutsideofhockey

• Kooch7800 says:

Not much left on there to risk on. Setogucchi on a 1 mill deal could be good for depth but I really don’t like his foot speed

• 24 Cups says:

The Habs still need a 14th forward so I’d give Steve Ott a one year deal. That way the three kids could spend a year in Hamilton. Ott would be insurance for LW, C, face-offs, physicality and agitation.

24 Cups

• Cal says:

I think I’d pass on all of them. Too old, too slow, too inconsistent, even for cheap. I expect Alfredsson, Booth and Koivu to retire.

• Ian Cobb says:

We have enough players now to fill Montreal’s roster with a better team than last year. Younger, bigger, and better!
      HERE WE GO!

• RetroMikey says:

BIG IS BETTER!
        I’ve been harping and whining on this site since the 2009-10 season when Bobby signed midgets like Gionta, Gomez to name a few and players with no grit or character.
        Maholtra will definitely help and I have no problem if he wore the “A” om Montreal.
        We are still 2 years from being a true Cup contender.
        WE need Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn to finally step it up on the D and prove they are ready to play in the NHL.
        For once, I am excited about this team.
        Bergy answered my wishes!!!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Debate of Small compact or Huge

I’ve known all along that short, stubby, power packed players have more longevity than larger players who are more susceptible to injury.
    At 70 yrs. 5ft tall and 5ft around, I can still nail a large frame easier than a smaller scooter coming into my zone.!
    Ian.