Subban a finalist for Norris Trophy

The NHL announced on Tuesday morning that the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban is one of three finalists for the James Norris Memorial Trophy, awarded annually to the league’s best defenceman.

The other finalists are Kris Letang of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Ryan Suter of the Minnesota Wild. It marks the first time for all three that they are finalists for the award, which was won last year by Ottawa’s Eric Karlsson, who missed most of this season with an Achilles injury.

Subban and Letang were the highest-scoring defenceman in the league this season, both accumulating 38 points. Subban had 11-27-38 totals in 42 games to go along with a plus-12, while Letang had 5-33-38 totals in 35 games and was plus-16. Suter was just behind them with 4-28-32 totals in 48 games and was plus-2.

Suter led the three in average ice time at 27:16, followed by Letang at 25:38 and Subban at 23:14.

The news comes a day after the Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher was named a finalist for the Calder Trophy, which goes to the NHL’s top rookie.

The Canadiens held an optional skate at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday in Ottawa as they prepare for Game 4 of their first-round playoff series against the Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Twenty-two players took part in the morning skate, with Max Pacioretty, Ryan White and Rene Bourque the only ones who didn’t skate.

After the skate, the Canadiens announced that Brian Gionta and Ryan White (upper-body injuries) will not be in the lineup for Game 4.

Carey Price will start in goal.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Game 4 Preview, canadiens.com

Five keys to Game 4, canadiens.com

Habs can’t mix it up again, by Dave Stubbs

Therrien looking for Habs to bounce back, by Brenda Branswell

Gallagher a Calder finalist, by Pat Hickey

Adopt Prust a Walrus campaign underway, The Canadian Press

Senators lead series 2-1, NHL.com

Winning the mind games, Ottawa Citizen

Senators, Canadiens just getting started, Ottawa Citizen

Pageau still coming down from big night, Ottawa Citizen

Ten reasons to hate the Habs, by Ottawa Sun

Subban ready to move forward, Ottawa Sun

Don’t get caught in the rivalry, Ottawa Sun

1. Habs_Norway says:

Danny Kristo on the fourth line and on the PK against the Soviets as we speak.
    Any thoughts on the Canada-Norway game?

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

2. Seps says:

Could anyone imagine what it’d be like if Price let in the goal Anderson did last game? So both goalies let in one they should’ve had (I’d argue Anderson’s was weaker) yet we continue to praise Anderson and disrespect Price. Grass always seems greener folks.

• Davida says:

There were people on Jacque Plante’s, Gump Worsley’s, Ken Dryden’s, and Patrick Roy’s asses too.

Habs for life, MTL forever

• Cal says:

Anderson let in one. Price let in 6. Build a better straw man.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I love Price and I’ve been a backer of his on this site and everywhere ever since he came into the league. I am confident in his abilities.

However, there is some truth to the statements of him not stealing games and a not so great playoff record. I think it’s fair for people to point out that he has yet to kick it up a notch and be the sole reason his team wins on certain nights.

I think down the road when our defense rounds into shape, 1-3 years from now, then we can truly judge Price. It’s a bit hard to come to a conclusion on exactly where he stands when he’s got the smallest defense in the league in front of him.

It’s like a quarterback with a tiny defensive line in front of him, it’s not going to work out so well as he’s going to be sacked or be worried about being sacked all game.

****************
      “The Senators had beaten the Canadiens like a pinata. An undersized, soft pinata at that.”

–Mike Boone

• Cal says:

In 3 years it will be Price’s 9th season. How long are we supposed to wait?
        Looking back is easy, but I never would have taken a goalie when the Habs needed a big center since Damphousse left. The poor playoff record may speak volumes about the team, but Price is a big part of that team and he doesn’t appear to be able to get the job done.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Price has yet to have a GREAT or very good team in front of him. Again, you put Price on L.A., St. Louis or a big, strong team with a solid defense and guaranteed he’d be lights out.

****************

–Mike Boone

• Cal says:

When the Habs have been solid this season, only allowing about 25 shots, Price has been average.
            I want him to play well, but he’s the 2nd highest paid Hab ever and he doesn’t play like it. Everyone keeps saying he’s the youngest to do this or that, but in the 2 decades since a Cup win, I am getting impatient.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m getting impatient as well, not only with Price. But I have a feeling that when Tinordi is getting comfortable in his big “shut down” role, Emelin is back and healthy, another big and steady UFA defender is brought in, not to mention Subban and Beaulieu…then we will finally have a strong ans stable defense in front of Price.

Then Price can settle down and not be expected to be the messiah.

We’ve had a very shabby defense for a long time now.

****************

–Mike Boone

3. Steeltown Hab says:

Letang isn’t in Subban’s relm as a defensemen. Will he win the Norris maybe. But if you’re building a team, 30 GMs start with Subban over Letang.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

4. Dunboyne Mike says:

There was a new cliché this season: “the team always plays differently in front of Budaj.”

“Differently” = euphemism for better

So, if I’m MT, I stick with Price but swop the jersey and tell the team it’s Budaj.

Pure gold.

• Bill says:

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bill: Game 1.
        I’m a music teacher, you had to play guitar.
        You’re an English teacher, I had to work on an English essay.
        This past year I went back to college to do the final 2 years of an Eng BA in one year, so as to add another subject and be more marketable.
        6 essays all due between May 3 and tomorrow, exams start Friday. I’m praying for everyone else’s series to go 7!
        Maybe we can talk poetry all summer.
        Cheers

5. habs1992 says:

Ill give the Sens fans crowd props, they actually showed up to the game, although hab fans didnt have much to cheer about, id say there was around 5000 hab fans last game

I support Carey Price

• SensFanSpezza says:

I was there, and the Habs fans were just waiting to erupt. They might be fewer, but they’re louder.

• habs1992 says:

oh i was there too, and the hab fans are way louder before the game started to could hear hab fans singing and chanting it was great fun, the game not so much

I support Carey Price

6. SteverenO says:

Tough to make 3 good lines, let alone 4 , with this group;

This is what I would like to see:
    Gally 27/Plek/Ryder
    Maxpac/DD/ Bourque
    Prust/Halpern/Gally-11
    Armstrong/Dumont/ Weber

pp-1
    Bourque/Plek/Ryder —– Diaz/Markov
    pp-2
    Prust/Halpern or DD/ Gally-27 or Gally-11

This is what I expect we”ll see:

Moen/Plek/Ryder
    Prust/Gally 27/ Gally 11
    MaxPac/DD/Bourque
    Dumont/Halpern/Armstrong

PP- 1
    MaxPac/DD?Gallly-11 ——Subban/Markov
    Pp-2
    Burque/Plek/Ryder ——- Diaz/Bouillon

I just hope that if Dumont is dressed for the game that he plays more than 3 minutes. Other wise we”d be better with Weber in the lineup.

regards,

Steve O.

7. Hobie Hansen says:

I assume they DJ or PA announcer or whoever will be blasting music again right until puck drop to drown out the “GO HABS GO” chanting?

****************

–Mike Boone

8. Can I just say that for all the doom and gloom around here, we’re a pretty tough team to play against even with Gionta, Emelin, Eller, Prust and Pacioretty hurt, and Markov a shell of his former self? That’s a testament to a pretty well-built team — and one that’s only going to get better.

9. Steeltown Hab says:

Throw Dumont in Gionta’s spot.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

OK! Including Dumont, which of our forwarDs now haS the ability to set up plays, make his line better, contest the boards, read the game, show some grit…. IN ONE package. Dumont? You gotta be kidding me. Dumont is another of what we have a lot of. A small guy with heart trying his darndest to make an individual contribution so that he gets an NHL career. Bournival is the only all around forward I see now. True he’s inexperienced but give him a shot.

He might even fix the freakin PP.

FIX THE PP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bill says:

Do you think that’s realistic?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Bournival is a Gionta in the making… younger of course. He was responsible with Gallagher for the best stint of Dogs offense this year. The Hockey Gods have given us a disguised break. Sometimes opportunity knocks and…

On top of it all.. it is NOT like one can point to an sure-fire alternative.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Gionta is out that’s why I said it, ofcourse I’ll take a healthy Gionta / what we saw last game.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

10. Maritime Ron says:

OK, So I’ll ask the ugly question.

Does Coach Therrien have the cojones to sit DD for at least 1 game and move his exorbitant ToI over to Galchenyuk – PP time included?
    Or at least move him to 3rd line duty and off the PP?

What does it take to sit/demote a guy that had 2 goals in the last 22 regular season games and now 0 ZERO shots on goal in 3 playoff games while recording only 1 secondary assist….and all of that while playing 51:46 including 9:11 of PP time that is 3rd most for ALL Habs forwards?

Unless it becomes known once the playoffs are over that some severe injury needing surgery hampered his play and resulted in his 3rd gear skating, losing almost all puck battles, and falling down all the time – and I will be 1st with a Mea Culpa, then we have a problem on our hands.

• monsieurx says:

No he doesn’t.

bleu banc et red

• CalgaryHab says:

Don’t forget about how many times he’s been tossed on face-offs

• Bill says:

Galchenyuk got killed at even strength last game.

We don’t need Desharnais in the press box, we need him putting up points. If he can’t, that sucks, but he sure won’t from the box.

With White and Eller out, I am not sure who would even sub in for Desharnasi anyway.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Yup. DD has his shortcomings, but he’s a far better player than Dumont, or whoever else would draw in for him.

• habstrinifan says:

Put Bournival for DD.

• Maritime Ron says:

Bill

How’s about this”
        Galchenyuk gets DD minutes for the first half of the game to see if we can get a spark.

DD sees he is demoted – and we have been ‘told’ over and over and over and over that he has character so therefore, a logical deduction would have DD playing like a man possessed if he saw his job/status at risk.

I mention that because so far, there has been ZERO repercussions in ToI or PP time for his inability to produce.

• Does DD deserve to sit? Honestly, maybe. But he’s not there primarily to score goals, and it’s a touch dishonest to imply he is. He’s a playmaker, and his 28 points in 48 games this year are not great, but are decent. He’s been decent. In the playoffs though, I’ll grant you, he’s been positively invisible.

• habstrinifan says:

Either he’s not been decent at playmaker or his linemates are poor… but bottom line is he’s been ineffective for too long.

OH YEAH… FIX THE FREAKIN pp.

• Steeltown Hab says:

28 pts in 48 games ya, but under the most favorable conditions in terms of zone starts, linemates, and 1st wave PP time with Subban n Markov.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• SteverenO says:

@ Ron.

I agree with you that DD has not been contributing very much offensively, especially on the PP. but the Sens have not scored a single goal while he has been on the ice.

Gally 27 has been on for 4 Senator goals… Both He and DD have been on the ice for 2 Montreal Goals,
      Gally-27 1 at even strength in 34 min TOI and 1 on the PP 6:03
      DD on for 2 goals at even strength in 39:42 TOI – o PP with 9:11

The Habs have only scored 4 goal at even strength in the 3 games so far, and given up 8.

So to put all the blame on DD is not fair. He has been on the ice for 2 of our 4 ES goals and for none of their 8.

The only other Hab forward (besides DD) that has been on theice for 2 even strength goals is Prust , however Prust has been on the ice for 5 of the Sens 8 even strength goals.

Surprisingly, Gally -11 has been on the ice for 6 of the 8 even strength goals scored by the Sen”s whilebeing on the ice for one Montreal even strength goal.

Keep in mind that this is a very small sample size, and one bad game, ( and a few whiffs by the goalie) can skew the numbers quite drastically.

Plekanec and Gionta are the only forwards who have played 2 or more games that have not been on the ice for any even strength goals. Gionta has been on for 2 GA and Plekanec 5 .

Interestingly, Plekanec has been on the ice for all 3 of the Sen’s PP goals. No other HAb has been on for more than one PP goal against.

So it seems that if we had to single out a “problem” player right now it would be Plekanec.

The Sens have scored 11 goals in the three games, Plek has been on the ice for 8 of them; 5 of 8 at even strength and 3 of 3 short handed.

This doesn”t mean that Plek should be blamed for all the goals going in… but you certainly cannot blame DD for goals that are scored against the Habs when he is not on the ice.

This is why it is so important to look at the numbers,,,,,,DD falls down a lot and seems to lose a lot of battles. At the end of the game its easy to point a finger at him and say he is the reason why we lost. In reality Hockey games are not won or lost by looking good or looking bad, it is goals scored versus goals against that determine the outcome.

regards,

Steve O.

11. RetroMikey says:

I hope Gionta does not come back next year, a big disppointment for the team in the regular season and in the playoffs.
    You need a Captain who will be on the ice in these battles between the 2 teams.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Steeltown Hab says:

Gionta has scored timely goals, works hard and is effective on the ice, your lost.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habs1992 says:

Im almost certain he will be back. We really need big games from Ryder Pleks and DD

I support Carey Price

• Luke says:

Gionta was a reg season disappointment? He scored 25 prorated goals.
      If you were disappointed by Gionta, then you do not understand what kind of player he is. That’s not hios fault. That’s yours.

• Habsrule1 says:

Gionta was on pace to score 25+ goals….again, leaves it all on the ice and, from all I’ve heard from current and former players, is one of the best leaders many have ever played with.

Is it possible he really wants to be in, but has made the difficult realization that with his injury, he is hurting the team more than helping them if he’s in the line-up?

But ya…who needs him?

Go Habs Go!!

• habs-fan-84 says:

You haven’t got a clue.
      Cheers,

12. Bill says:

I like having Halpern in. Good on faceoffs and good defensively. Gionta is obviously really hurt: I’m over it. Surprised White isn’t going but what can you do. It’s the playoffs. Hopefully Dumont can fill in.

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Yes we’re down 2-1. Yes our goalie has been average (weak?) at times. Yes we got sucked into a stupid style of play in game 3. But cheer up – we could be Canucks fans! One win and we’ve got home ice back!

14. habs1992 says:

Stupid Injuries, i wish we would of got all our injuries out of the way, during the regular season like the sens did. Oh well GO HABS GO

I support Carey Price

15. Bun E. Laroque says:

I suppose PJ Stock will give us all the reasons PK shouldn’t win the Norris tonight on HNIC.

• Say Ash says:

That “depends”.

• wjc says:

You are forbidden to watch…..intermissions, it is not good for your mental health. All this angst over PK…..he has such power.

Remember do something else for 15 minutes, come back refreshed or don’t come back at all. Then remember the mute button for the more sensitive ‘little muffins’ out there.

Life is not fair….so accept it. PK Stock does not exists if you do not watch. Niether does Don Cherry

Your whinning is making me whine about your whinning.

wjc

• jctremblay says:

Exactly..I haven’t watched a game live in years. The PVR is the greatest invention..FF through and just watch the game preferably on RDS! Much better for your spleen. Remember, the job of commentators is to court controversy, overblow the issue at hand and make it the most ‘tweeted” thing on Twitter. Most of it is forgotten the next day because that’s how substantial it truly is.

16. bwoar says:

I gotta say, the “Toronto Stronger” sign made me laugh. It’s poking fun at Boston. During a playoff series. Would you expect better from Boston fans? Regardless of the answer, I guess that’s just my sense of humour.

That really is the danger in sloganeering, symbolism, etc. I thought the “Pageau, Pageau” chants in Ottawa the other night were a riot for the same reason. Yeah, 2 different contexts, but it’s the act that I find humourous.

“thoroughbred”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Why would my sympathies for the victims of a terrorist attack extend to a hockey team from that city? I don’t get it.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Luke says:

Toronto Stronger was in poor taste, but clever. Truthfully, I doubt the guy who had intended to comment on the bombings and situation. He was commenting on the slogan alone. Nothing more.

The Pageau chant was very clever and spontaneous. I was actually impressed it caught on so quickly!

Now, as an aside, did I detect anthem booing in T.O last night?

• Cal says:

It wasn’t clever. It was juvenile and disrespectful. In other words, everything I expect coming out of Toronto.

• Luke says:

Clever in terms of the play on the Boston Strong slogan, alone.
          Not so much in terms of the context that the slogan represents.

Now, the skeptic in me wonders who is monetizing the Boston strong logo/slogan.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Now you’ve got it. Manufactured outrage and someone laughing all the way to the bank.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• wjc says:

Why are all fans judged on ‘one’ fans sign.

If there is a fight in the stands does that mean all fans are involved.

These generalizations drive me nuts,

wjc

17. habstrinifan says:

Please for the LOVE of a brilliant EUREKA monemt PUT IN BOURNIVAL for one of White/Gionta….. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    You need a puck-possession puck distributor type guy whoo isnt afraid to go in corners and who reads the game tempo and reacts well. Hey Gallant you coache dthis guy didnt you… or coached against him in the Memorial Cup I can’t remember…

Oh Yeah! I sthe PP fixed yet?????????????????????????

I swear Habs players are made out of glass. Now White is out with upper body?

But not to worry – Desharnais with a hat-trick tonight.

• monsieurx says:

No fear Desharnais is here!

• Maksimir says:

Too bad White is out.. but I don’t mind Gionta out.

I’d love to see Blunden come in .. big kid.. throw the body around on the fourth line..

While we’re at it… Drewiske in for Gorges and Beaulieu for Diaz?

• Cal says:

Beaulieu is not with the Habs. He and his father have assault charges against them.

• wjc says:

Beaulieu is not sitting in jail. There charged, but they have to go through due process. Remember innocent till proven guilty. He is probably available. To important a game for rookies at this point.

Keep Gorges in, blocks shots, less likely to panic.

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

MAB woulda fixed our PP. Pul some strings Timo.

• habsfan0 says:

With apologies to Andy Kaufman, David Desharnais is Mighty Mouse and will save the day!

• ihabto says:

Probably hurt himself whilst head-butting the crap out of Cowen’s fists.

• vancouverite says:

I’m getting tired of Timo’s comments…
      Constant negativity, and its not like he brings something to the table or teach us anything new. ENOUGH ! We get it, you’re an impatient and angry hockey fan who hates MT, DD, among a bunch of other members of the Habs organization. Give us all a break and spare us your useless comments.

• wjc says:

Timo is just here to stir the pot and keep the posts rolling. When you think of Timo, think of Boone…..hint…hint.

Who was that masked man…….hi o silver away.(william tell ovature)
        Sorry kiddies this will fly right over your little pea picken heads.

wjc

19. careysubban3176 says:

This might sound stupid but how do you add a profile picture on here?

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

People want bigger players but not more violent. We want big as in players with a longer reach and players winning puck battles and defending the goal area.

****************

–Mike Boone

• Loonie says:

I think that’s a big short sighted Hobie. I think people want big players who prevent and score dirty goals and don’t succumb to violence.

Big difference.

Tinordi for example already in his young career isn’t a prick on the ice, but he isn’t going to stop playing his game because Chris Neil punches him in the head.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed. My post was in response to another that must have been removed by the mods as well.

****************

–Mike Boone

• habstrinifan says:

Are bigger players gonna fix the PP? Then I say go for it.

• wjc says:

I want big players that beat the piss out of other players. This people likes violence

wjc

21. habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t like that White’s not playing tonight (I’m assuming he’s scratched).

He was integral in the win on Friday night. We need his feistyness.

22. bel33 says:

So Marinaro on TSN 690 just said, when talking about the Norris, that KRIS LETANG is way stronger, and more of a beast than PK? Actually said he’s one of the strongest guys in the NHL.

WTF? What is Kris Letang… 180 lbs????

PK trained like a mad man last off season….

Anyhow… amazed at what comes out of his mouth sometimes…

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, Tony seems to forget to think before he says things. I have a feeling Letang will win because of the same number of points in fewer games, but PK is the beast and does more on the ice than Letang, without superstars with him to pad his stats.

Go Habs Go!!

• H.Upmann says:

one of these days in the summer, I’m going to try and catch sight of PK working out in downtown TO. He likes outdoor workouts apparently (to show off his guns lol)

• donmarco says:

I have long given up on caring what Moronaro has to say. He’s just a punk who lucked into a dream job and now he’s the smartest guy in the room. Probably never set foot in the dressing room, let alone has any knowledge of what goes on there. he probably has a poster of PJ Stock on his bedroom ceiling.

• Cal says:

Yet another reason to avoid TSN690. Too bad Nilan is a better reason to listen in.

• The Jackal says:

Letang is a plug.
      He scores big, well of course, look who he plays with!
      He is average defensively and benefits from more ice time playing with the most talented offensive guys.

PK creates a lot of offense on his own and contributes to team O.
      Letang is more of a benefactor of his team’s offense.

Not to mention Letang has looked lost whenever the Isles are in the zone this series.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• wjc says:

Maybe you should challenge both to an arm wrestle.

wjc

23. zorbot says:

Subban is a great player that lacks any modicum of maturity and does not appear headed in the right direction in that regard. Anyone who thinks he showed character by pounding on Turris
    has been dibilitated by their blind loyalty to the jersey. As for denying that the coach has lost the team, you must not have heard the post game comments from Gionta, Patches and other
    Habs players who validated Macleans “protecting his players”
    comment and did not back their own coaches comments. I also noticed everyone instantly stopped quoting rule 48 the moment Bourque applied the head shot to Conacher. What is truly sad is that even Habs fans are now clamouring for bigger, more violent players in order to secure a cup win. Now , you just want to become everything that you have always hated . Now a Torres
    is the dream, not a Beliveau or Lafleur. Sad to see the direction we are going in. The Americanization of hockey, MMA on skates. White being out can only help Hab’s chances tonight.

24. Fansincebirth says:

White and Gio not playing tonight….hmmmmmmmmmmmm

25. Loonie says:

No White or Gionta tonight.

26. Maritime Ron says:

A few things about our Trophy Finalists nominations, and please know I believe PK has Norris and Team Canada written all over him for the next decade.

1) Will it affect their games?
    From here, I expect Gallagher to be the same buzz saw he has been all season, yet what about PK?
    Will he try to do too much?
    Will he go back to some old habits of rushing end to end and firing away on the PP without looking up?
    Those elements have recently re-appeared in his game to some degree…

2) Will they both be further targeted and a source of motivation?
    Even though the Sens have no rookies nominated for the Calder, they do have some very good NHL deemed rookies in Silfverberg, Pageau, Zibanejad, Conacher, and of course the beloved Gryba….and on D Karlsson.

3) Hopefully, writers do not have the thought process of not putting 2 players from the same team on top of their ballots even if warranted.
    The ‘spread the glory around’ philosophy.
    That could/would be detrimental to both as they truly deserve the trophy wins.

27. Loonie says:

Who feels like making a wager?

I’m willing to bet a reasonable price that Greg Pateryn won’t play any more than fifty games with the Montreal Canadiens.

28. Sportfan says:

Subban for Norris is obvious hope he wins too!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. youngwun says:

Big game tonight . I hope they work their ass off on every shift

30. Going to win tonight!

I’m still upset how the referees set the tone with the very first shift when PK went to hit someone and then took a cross check to the face. The refs set the tone right there on the spot.

Habs will be want to make up for that horrible game and the Sens like Friday will be over confident.

Go HABS GO

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Loonie says:

I don’t think the Sens were overconfident on Friday Shane. I think that the better team outplayed them from start to finish as they did in game one.

• The Sens were horrible Friday, they came out flat pure sign of “we walked all over you and we’ll do it again”

Only the Habs changed their game plan and walked all over them.

Then with all the emotion going into Sunday, the Sens did the exact same thing the Habs.

Playoffs, no matter what level, or sport will never change. When a big game easy (it wasn’t easy, but the Sens were almost never in the game) and lose the next one because of it.

That’s why good teams go 7 games to win a series.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Loonie says:

The Flames and Oilers would probably go seven games. Are they good teams?

;)

• Habsrule1 says:

There is no way the sens thought “we walked all over you” after game 1. Quite the contrary, actually.

The better team has dominated probably 7 of the 9 periods of hockey so far….I hope that trend continues tonight.

Go Habs Go!!

• OK I completely wrong winning big games sets no emotion and it’s pure hockey that wins games with zero mental effect. :lol:

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures

• Habsrule1 says:

sholi don’t get defensive & sarcastic. You ARE wrong IF you think the sens became over confident after a game in which they were outshot by 20 shots.

They knew they had no business winning that game, just like everyone else on the planet knew it.

Go Habs Go!!

31. The Habs know exactly what kind of game Ottawa wants to play. The Sens, on the other hand, don’t know Montreal’s game plan for tonight. Plus, that ill-advised time-out is just that much more motivation, for a team that already has lots.

I say advantage Habs.

32. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Its noon on Gameday . Off to Saloon. Habs in 6. Saludos!!!

33. Habitoban says:

Tonight I’m taking my son to Kilgour’s — Toronto’s HABS bar — to watch the game. First time for me. With a win, it won’t be the last.

34. Fansincebirth says:

I expect the Sens to come out and play exactly the same game they played on Sunday, hitting and hitting and trying to get under our skins. It’s up to the Habs to maintain their cool and score instead of getting caught up in the garbage game. They’ve done it before so they can do it again. If I’m MacLean, I play Gryba and tell him to play on the edge to see if we’ll lose it and go after him….

35. SensFanSpezza says:

It’s great to see Subban get the nod. I think Suter will take it because a lot of journalists place big stock in minutes played, but it’s still a nice recognition of how much this player has grown in the last couple of years. He’ll win it sometime soon.

36. B says:

I wonder if Ottawa will need to call another timeout to protect their players if Therrien once again sends Markov, Georges, Gionta and Prust out to kill a penalty?

–Go Habs Go!–

37. Hobie Hansen says:

The key tonight is the defense for Montreal. They need help from the forwards and I hope Therrien institutes a wall, a square or a triangle around Price. Defense first, wait for the Sens to make a mistake and pounce on them. They’ve got to be aware of the lack of size they posses on defense and compensate for it.

The Habs have to stay cool and play within a system.

We don’t have the team to go toe to toe in a physical war and exchange wide open scoring chances all night long. I’m not sure if they matchup well together but i think Gorges and Tinordi should be pared together. Gorges blocks the shots, chips the puck lose and Tinordi uses his long reach and swats the puck out of harm’s way. Tinordi can also rub guys out and the centerman or Gorges can pickup the scraps and clear the zone.

****************

–Mike Boone

38. Maritime Ron says:

Whatever happens this year, we are on our way to great things!
    Patience is tough, but there is a process to live.

We all know Bergevin came from the Hawks, and while he wasn’t there for the complete construction, he knows how they won the Cup, how they were built, and the long growing pains involved.

The Hawks process really took….8 years including great drafts/trades/UFA signings.
    Perhaps this is WHY Bergevin didn’t panic and throw away draft picks for some rentals.

2002-Duncan Keith-2nd Round
    2003-Seabrook 1st & Byfuglien 8th
    2004-Bolland 2nd-Bickel 2nd-Brouwer 7th
    2005-Hjalmarsson-4th
    2006-Toews 3rd overall
    2007-Kane 1st overall

2005 Trade: Patrick Sharp from the Flyers, along with Éric Meloche, to the Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and a 3rd-round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Then adding key UFAs such as Brian Campbell for the 08/09 season and Hossa for the 09/10 season.

Are we fortunate?
    Looking back, the Hawks missed the playoffs for 9 years out of 10 between 1998-2008…then won the Cup in 2010.

We can debate where we are in the process, yet it appears we are still 2-4 years between building a ‘consistent’ contender – not a dreamer with no Cup chance, while compiling the right parts.
    We may even take a step backwards to then be able to take 2 steps forwards.

• donmarco says:

Very good analysis. Bergevin appears to have the same template for rebuilding the Habs, but he will not have a first overall pick anytime soon, I think, but with a stronger core to build on will hopefully not need 8 years to accomplish it. And I very much doubt we’ll go 9 out of 10 years without being in the playoffs.

• Maritime Ron says:

Our process has already started with Price-Subban-Max-Eller-PK-Tinordi-Beaulieu maybe Dumont/Pateryn/White along with draft pick prospects to come… and Prust taking care of them with hopefully some added muscle this summer

• Absolutely agree — with a promising young core, a couple of deals and smart drafting, we’ve got as good a shot as anyone of a Cup in a couple of years.

39. Maksimir says:

Here’s hoping Subban’s Norris nomination will really light a fire under him tonight (in a good way)… maybe a goal or couple assists?

• donmarco says:

Do you really think Subban needs more of a fire lit under him? He’s been a wrecking ball since Game 1. If anything he needs to control the beast within and channel it.

40. careysubban3176 says:

I am new here to this blog but have always read the articles and comments that go along with them. I decided to create an account and put my 2 cents worth in cuz im so fed up with people on here saying Price can’t win, etc. In case you haven’t noticed but the top goalies in the league who win on a consistent basis have a TEAM around them. Just look at Fluery. That guy must be the most confident goalie in the league cuz he knows if he gives up 3 or 4 goals in a game, his TEAM can score like 5 or 6 to make up for it. Price’s TEAM can’t. Look at Boston or even Toronto. Yea they don’t score a lot like the Pens do but those 2 teams have big defensive guys who clear the crease and therefore the other team takes the majority of there shots along the boards so even though they might allow a lot of shots on goal, none of them are quality scoring chances. My point here is, yea Price may give up a bad goal here and there but so does every other goalie in the NHL. Even Anderson has this series. But you can’t expect him to stop every breakaway or every odd man rush. The guy can’t score or play defense so instead of blaming just ONE guy start faulting the other 5 guys on the ice for either not putting the puck in the back of the net or letting guys get wide open for tap ins. This is a team game and Price has a good team but not a top tier team. Not yet anyway so until then, “JUST CHILL”

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Don’t worry about the ones who blame goalies, they’re the same ones who never played the game.

Welcome, I hope Carey plays like he did Friday, but he has to see the puck. He doesn’t have the instant natural reflex to stop pucks that come from screened shots. No big deal to me, just get out of the way.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Maksimir says:

Really stirred up a hornet’s nest… well and the Leaf fan getting hit from behind in Boston…

• donmarco says:

That was disrespectful and classless. But since I hate both cities, I just don’t care.

Great to know, HIO, that under “you might also like” Price is expected to start against the Flyers. Jeez.

• marlboro says:

I’d like to see that idiot try holding that sign up on Causeway st., Boston cops would even hold him down.

41. Luke says:

I might also like:

Habs vs. Leafs: a Playoff preview?
    by: Hockey Inside/Out?

Curious. Is that still an option?

42. habsfan0 says:

Tonight’s game IS the season for the Habs.
    Win and tie up the series,they’re a good bet to move on to Round 2.
    They simply cannot afford to get behind 3-1 in games.
    EVERYBODY will have to bring their “A” game.

43. arcosenate says:

I wish Therrien would stop talking about MacLean, he’s falling right into the trap. The coach is off his game if he’s talking more about the opposition than his own team. I couldn’t give two craps what the tally on the fight score card is, it’s the final score of the game that matters to me.

Stop falling for MacLean’s game and play your own MT, or it’s over before you know it.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I dunno, I think MacLean is playing into the Habs’ hands more. The war of words started after Game 1 and Therrien channelled that into a great game for the Habs.

Justified or not, that timeout was a dumb decision by MacLean. Just gave Therrien some fodder and something to focus on other than the team’s embarrassing play. I think Therrien is playing this smart.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Therrien has taken all the focus away from the team, it’s brilliant.

Don Cherry was right last night, Therrien will have the boys playing the way they did in game 2.

44. habs1992 says:

Lets get the gamethread going liveblog, this is a HUGE GAME GO HABS GO

I support Carey Price

45. ihabto says:

Subban’s Norris nomination is just the latest evidence of how far this team has come along. I hope that the current management and coaching groups continue to work together to bring in and develop these players in ways I don’t think would have been possible under the previous group.

46. Thomas Le Fan says:

Ten Reasons to Hate Ottawa

10. Senators
    9. Members of Parliament
    8. Political Parties
    7. Taxman … er … person
    6. Bureaucrats
    5. B.S.
    4. Hypocrisy
    3. Lies
    2. Arrogance
    1. Senators

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

47. Bill says:

Timo, look at this way: it’s the same line-up with all these great kids being a year older and experienced. The core players like Subban, Price, and Pacioretty are all still improving as well. And we still have great veteran leadership from Gionta and Markov. Plus Therrien will know the lineup inside out.

Next years Habs team will be even better than this year’s just from the improvement of the young players.

And as you say … we will still have DD!

• Timo says:

You lost me at Gionta. But yes, I realize that Tinordi, Subban, Eller, 2 Gs, Prust, Emelin will be 1 year more experienced and wiser. But still too much deadbeat players on this team and still too little muscle. I don’t think Habs will be going any further next year than this year. Especially with Therrien.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Further than the NE title and second seed? They haven’t lost the series yet…

• Habsrule1 says:

I just don’t get the hate for Therrien. He took a last place team to 2nd in the conference.

WTF do you people want from him? And don’t say to play DD less or bench him. When a player is signed to a big contract, he gets played. How long that last, unfortunately, will depend on MB.

Go Habs Go!!

• I stopped reading as soon as I read “I don’t think”.

Therrien poops more about what you know about hockey!

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

48. habsfan0 says:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford declared yesterday “Blue & White” day in Toronto.
    After last night’s non performance by the Laffs, he’s declaring today “Black & Gold” day.

In retrospect, perhaps he was referring to the Blue Jays baby blue colour with white, given their big comeback last night?

• habsfan0 says:

Burly, I simply cannot bring myself to cheer for ANY Toronto based team.
        That’s one of the reasons I predicted the Blue Jays to finish dead last in the AL East BEFORE the season started. I also took into account the fact that the players they got from the Marlins helped the Miami team to dead last in the NL East last year,but now that they were wearing Toronto colours..it’s World Series or bust? Also,relinquishing your best hitting and pitching prospects in the minors to get a 38 year old knuckleballer who,prior to last year’s aberration, was a decidedly very AVERAGE performer,is a decision Blue Jay fans will rue for many years to come,and will probably cost Alex Anthopolous his job. And rehiring John Gibbons…that’s the best they could come up with?

• aversglay says:

Rob Ford, I don’t care what that shaven walrus has to say!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is that clown still mayor?

49. Cal says:

Not surprising it’s called Outbrain. They must be out of their minds.

Congrats to PK and the coaching staff, who are bringing out the best this stud Dman has to offer.

50. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If they are going to seek retribution on Gryba, it’d be far better to do so in Game 5 in Montreal. Going after him in Ottawa won’t bring any momentum to the Habs and more likely will turn the momentum Ottawa and their fans’ way.

• veryhabby says:

any smart team knows you don’t retribute during the playoffs. It will come the first game next season. If the coach has not instructed this to his players then it would be a huge error on his part. This is what I find I have seen in past situations with the majority of teams. The playoffs is not the time to get suspensions or give the other team momentum. Gryba will get his next season.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Seek retribution on the scoreboard. Winning is the best revenge.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Timo says:

I doubt they will. Prust, Moen and White are smarter than that. The only player I can possibly see going ape-shit on Gryba is DD. He will tear him to pieces.

• ihabto says:

To me the best retribution is to hit him HARD all game while he’s worrying about when the fight is coming. Then late in the game when we’re up by 3 or 4 because of all the turnovers he’s made because he’s scared sh-tless, beat the snot out of him to boot.

• therealrocky says:

if there goal is to seek retribution on gryba tonight might as well end the series now

51. habsfan0 says:

I have a hunch Carey Price will stand on his head tonight.
    His goaltending performance?
    That’s another story.

52. Mavid says:

Excellent news about PK, that otta piss those haters/Sens fans off to no end..win..win…

this Walrus thing has taken a life of its own..now they are selling T shirts that say don’t FU@k with the Walrus, with the bad word covered by a Walrus..we have all moved on…bet they will hang on to this one for quite some time, after all they still talk about Yashin..

53. mark-ID says:

Was going to post article from the Sun, but I see it is already posted on the site. Man, I hate living in Ottawa right now.

Check it out if you havn’t already…..top 10 reasons to hate Montreal, it will make your blood boil.

• Scotty90 says:

you are not alone Mark… that’s where I live too!

• Cal says:

Never read a paper that calls itself “Sun.” These are all Peladeau’s droppings, spreading his detritus from east to west, furthering his “everyone hates Quebec” agenda.

• Mavid says:

Never read the Sun, its a rag..same paper that plastered Ellers bleeding face on the front page..total garbage..
      By far the worse fans in the NHL..yes even worse than the Leaf’s and that tool with his stupid sign..dumb decision but I really don’t think he was making light of the bombings..some people just don’t think things through..and in the Twitter age its gone insane

54. ont fan says:

Lately, I watch the Habs and wonder what happens game to game. Where are our scorers. Why is it so hard to get out of our end lately. Then I watch a world championship game. On big ice, guys in top shape. Some of the best scorers in the league. Nothing . Denmark and the Swiss. giving them fits. 7 guys in the shootout, 1 goal against second rate teams. They may need time to gel, but the shootout? Then I come back hear and shut up for the most part.

55. Bill says:

@DonMarco: yeah the cap situation next year could be better, but could also be worse.

They will indeed buy out Kaberle and Ryder will walk. Bergevin is hoping Kristo can make the team next year and take Ryder’s place: no doubt Kristo is faster than most NHL players, but we will see if the rest of his game is ready! If he’s not, all the offence next year on RW will have to come from Gionta and Gallagher.

Next year will be the last as a Hab for Markov and Gionta. Markov is too expensive and there are too many D prospects emerging to retain him. Gionta’s time will simply be up. I like him, but again the cap and the young players coming up will squeeze him out after next season.

Next year we will have essentially the same lineup with minor changes. Armstrong and Halpern and Ryder will be gone. So will Kaberle and Weber.

New faces – as regulars – will be Kristo, Tinordi, and Beaulieu.

• Timo says:

Same lineup? Goody… that’s something to look forward to. So more of Gionta, Markov, Gorges, Pacs, Moen and of course, DD. Aah… where would Habs be without DD.

• donmarco says:

If Bourque can get his game together for a whole season, and play with close to the same intensity as the playoffs we’ll have added depth at right wing. And if Ryder, Armstrong and Halpern are gone, they can hopefully be replaced with some bigger, nastier players who can fill a fourth line role and provide some protection to some of the smaller players. we’re in a better position than many teams, but I sense the true potential won’t be realized until 2015 and beyond. But we should be even better next year than this year.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• I’ve got high hopes for Kristo too, but he doesn’t provide the grit we lack. I’m not one of those incessant advocates for unattainable Lucic types, but I do worry that Kristo would be more effective on a big team than one featuring Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta.

I’d be disappointed if MB didn’t go out this summer and get a big strong player who hits hard and is good for 20 goals. Ryane Clowe could fit the bill — he’s had a renaissance in NY, but won’t be enormously expensive after the rest of his season. What I’m really hoping is that David Clarkson decides to leave NJ — I’d happily overpay to see him in a Habs jersey.

56. Bill says:

@habfan84, I think for the most part fans approve of Therrien’s handling of everything this year, including in this series. He’s been fired up in this series but not over the top: he’s walking the line well. There will always be a few critics – of everything – but it’s no big deal. I agree with you about Therrien and Martin completely.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cheers Bill. Therrien has been a surprising breath of fresh air this year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I think people are overreacting a tad by throwing Therrien under the bus for feuding with Maclean. I think it is pretty much standard procedure for coaches to go at it in the playoffs?

****************

–Mike Boone

I agree in the playoffs all kinds of things happen which we don’t see in regular season. But at this point, whether we agree or not with how MacLean has acted, he seems to have gotten the Habs and their coach off their game. Tonight, the Habs need to respond.

• donmarco says:

Not over reacting, just saying that the team follows the lead of their coach and Therrien has been close to losing it lately, and the team totally lost it in the third of game 3. Now he needs to do what he says the team needs to do, and that’s to go back to playing Habs style of hockey. Not upset about what he did or said or how emotionally he reacted. I couldn’t envisage Martin reacting that way, just saying he needs to move on as much as the team does.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

You’re damned if you do and damned if you’re don’t I guess. I love seeing a fiery coach behind the bench. It shows that he cares about his players and won’t take any crap from the refs or the apposing teams.

57. donmarco says:

You can see where Bergevin is going to have a bit of a challenge on his roster next year by looking at

Not including Kaberle (buy out), Weber and Pateryn, we will still have 7 bonafide starters on defense, plus Beaulieu if he impresses at camp. Cap will be tight, but bye-bye Ryder, no room for a 3.4-4 million dollar soft playing free agent. No bank breaking RFA’s to worry about next year (White,Dumont, Blunden), but the year after Eller and Subban are RFA’s and I would think need to be signed long term. Emelin is a UFA and I’d hate to see him leave. Indicates to me that next year may be Gionta’s and/or Markov’s last year with the Habs. Diaz will be a UFA after next year as well, but I think he still has something to prove before earning a long term commitment. Critically important year for Louis Leblanc as well. He is looking less and less like a long term asset for the team, but maybe it was because of his ankle injury, and he’ll have a bounce back season and he’ll need it. And right after them, there’s a crop of some really high quality players who might be ready for their chance (Kristo, Ellis, Dietz, Hudon, Thrower, Collberg).

Thoughts?

• Ali says:

I don’t think either Gionta or Markov will be on this team when they’re a true contender for the cup.

• donmarco says:

Nor do I, but I also don’t see the cap space for us to go out and sign a monster UFA, which many people here are hoping for. Trades could of course change all of that.

• Ton says:

very good summary..excellent. I like to group them this way> trade-able assets> they got a few and keepers you move forward with. Given the list for the first is quite large> max, gorges, markov, gionta, diaz, etc we have room to accomdate everyone. Remember tanking next season is not out of the question……parity is here >in the event this happens you will have takers for Markov , Gionta, Moen, Diaz, Gorges, many more picks coming our way!

• donmarco says:

Not sure if I read it right, but I don’t consider Max as a tradeable asset at all. Besides that, I’m with you. And I won’t even touch your “tanking” comment. LOL And BTW we still have stockpiled 6 draft picks in 3 rounds this year, so stockpiling more for the year after might just create an unnecessary logjam of prospects with no hope of retaining them all. This is a critical year for us to have a good draft.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Habs will trade or let Gionta, Markov and Diaz walk. The defense in 2014/15 will look Something like Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Emelin, Dietz, Thrower, Pateryn…

Much less Smurf!

Can’t wait!

****************

–Mike Boone

• donmarco says:

If Beaulieu is indeed the player we hope he is, Diaz will not be needed but many other teams might covet an offensively minded d-man. Gionta and Markov could be high quality rentals for next year’s playoff contenders, but since I believe we’ll be one of them, don’t see them being traded unless it’s earlier in the season and we get an upgrade over them.

• Newf_Habster says:

If I were Bergevin, I would focus on bulking up our team with big players with good skills.

I want Emelin to stay with us for two or three years because his physical presence is what we need most.

Let Diaz walk because we have one of several key defensive prospects who can take over him.

If we could not trade Weber, one of our RFAs in offseason, declare him UFA.

Should Gionta and Markov be gone as UFAs, we will have to sign Subban to a six to eight-years contract with $10 or more per season.

• donmarco says:

You’re talking about the type of player that every team in the NHL wants, and frankly there aren’t many of them. I agree with the importance of signing Emelin, and would prefer a trade for Diaz instead of letting him walk. I suspect Weber will be released, and Subban will most definitely be signed to a max contract before the end of next season.

• veryhabby says:

I think Bill responded pretty correctly a few posts up ahead. The cap won’t be too much of an issue. Players will be leaving and freeing up cap for the young guns that are to be signed.

The only disappointing thing is that there probably isn’t enough money to sign a top UFA. I really believe that any roster improvement over the next 1-3 yrs will come from: 1) youngsters developing 2) trades similar to Cole for Ryder (ie player for player).

The fact is that I like every Dman on this team individually…but collectively we are too small/soft. Yes Tinordi should be sticking. Emelin will bring some toughness (probably still our toughest). But I still think that with Diaz, Markov, Georges, Boullion, Weber…that one needs to be swapped with a bigger tougher dman. But this will have to come via a trade if it’s done at all. Cause going with the same 7 dman as we have this year, isn’t the worst thing in the world, but it’s not an improvement. And improvement is what we need.

• donmarco says:

There’s no way they’d be able to fit a monster contract for a UFA despite everyone’s hope. Not without exploding the core of the team. And of the 5 d-men you listed as not tough enough, the only one signed long term is Gorges, and he brings his shot blocking skills to the group and could still be the 5th or 6th d-man. The others should not be part of the long terms plans. Trades, of course, could change everything, and we may be in a position to offer up a pick and prospect for that bruising experienced d-man we know we need.

58. Bill says:

After the last game, I imagine the Sens will do all they can to goad the Habs into a repeat performance. They can’t do that and I’m sure the coaches are delivering that message loud and clear.

Stick to the plan and go on the attack, and lets see some good D out there!

I don’t like this.

60. ths says:

PK. You are a winner after all the crap you have taken to get where you are.Now you have to take more on the ice because of your skills. The Habs really need a monster who can protect these valuable assets so they don’t have to take all the crap then deal with it themselves. MB would maybe take that 6 year deal tossed on his desk last summer now ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

61. nixmike says:

Been a Habs fan since I was old enough to walk. This crap by Therrien is just complete nonsense and an embarrassment to the organization. Coach has to keep cool not yell at the other coach and so forth. I think Therrien has lost the players and I think the fact no one, not Bergevin or Molson, is backing him up tells me the Habs are giving him enough rope to hang himself. The biggest difference right now is the demeanour of the two coaches…plus the Canadiens’ have not handled adversity well which is a sure reflection on the coach. Therrien will just never learn. That, plus we can’t keep having midgets on defense.

nixmike

• krob1000 says:

? Maclean started the coaching chatter….Any coach would be pissed when his best center gets blindsided and knocked out. The other factor you are ignoring is that both coaches are actually intentionally doing part of this too….they have been the focal point for the media…not their players. Instead of the players having to field questions re their own play the coaches have become the star attractions which means the game can play itself out on the ice. That is the way it should be and great coaching by both of them at a time when mistakes are overanalyzed.
      I am not sure what demeanour you get from Maclean that is better…he is spouting off as much and was actually the instigator of all of this, he blamed the passer(Diaz) instead of a guy who got suspended, referred to everyone by number, called a timeout to intentionally aggravate, accused Montreal of sending out their goons(it was the 4th line…noone was added to it….he sent out his 4th line).

• habs-fan-84 says:

Wow.
      People complained for the longest time that we had a coach who showed ZERO emotion behind the bench. Finally, we have a coach who sticks up for his players and the team in general and people want to crucify him.

wow, just wow.

• JUST ME says:

Therrien has lost the players ? Are you…serious ? I suppose you would rather have the usual cadavre behind the bench and the tape recorder playing the same message at every press conference ?

I am in partial agreement Nix. Therrien and the team have a great deal to prove tonight, to show they have learned from that past game, and all the antics/noise surrounding the series.

The team needs to regain its focus on playing sharp/crisp hockey. THey don’t have to forget what happened to Eller, but playoffs is not the time for getting even, it is the time for winning hockey games.

• JUST ME says:

O.K. nix i understand . Just went to read your comment history and now know what is your fixation. Hopefully once every 6 months is enough for you !

• Habsrule1 says:

What did he do wrong? You’re way off base. MacLean is the only coach I’d be ashamed to say coaches my team. He’s been classless since game 1.

In Therrien we trust!

Go Habs Go!!

62. knob says:

Defense needs to be a lot better tonight!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

That is the key. Not only the defensemen, but the fowards, especially in Eller’s absence, must back check and work as a group to keep the Sens to the outside and let Price see the puck.

****************
      –Mike Boone

• B says:

They need to be more disciplined and play better at even strength.

–Go Habs Go!–

63. jo_maka says:

Congrats Subban for the nod, you’re in serious discussion to actually get the hardware, and for me you are this team’s MVP.

Thanks for a great season, abolish the Senate.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

So does this fan in Detroit like or dislike the referee last night? Or perhaps the guy fixing the glass is her boyfriend?

65. donmarco says:

So in a year with limited, if any expectations for the Habs, we have a nominee for rookie of the year, a Norris trophy nominee, and in all likelihood, a coach of the year candidate. And Gallagher may not even be the best rookie on the team, just better in his first year. I am stunned to see how far this team has come in so short a time. The future is bright, but it starts tonight.

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

• Loonie says:

You wouldn’t know it to read the HIO board but this team has an exciting young player who can be elite at every position.

Price, Subban, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty.

That’s how Cup winners are built. It may not happen this year but it’s going to get better before it gets worse.

• donmarco says:

I’m tempted to add both Tinordi and Eller to that list as well. As they may say on Wall Street, we’re trending upwards.

• jctremblay says:

yes, indeedy. Add a pile of high picks in a rich draft? It won’t be long before we’ll need shades since the future’s so bright…

66. Cal says:

I might also like? Am I on Amazon.ca?

• donmarco says:

Big thumbs down to that. Just clutters the site unnecessarily. Maybe a little more timely article than “Habs Leafs Playoff Preview?”.

Boooooooooo.

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser” Vince Lombardi

67. Kooch7800 says:

Watched the Leafs game last night and O’Byrne did not look good at all.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

68. JUST ME says:

And still getting better and better. Don`t remember seeing a youngster with so much talent in Mtl not in the modern era anyway.
    Well deserved nomination ,in my book he should win but i am a true bleu-blanc-rouge fan so ….

With P.K. and Gallagher being nominees this season this should prove to everyone that the Habs are in building mode and promissing years are ahead.

69. Chuck says:

I want to see that Norris-nominated talent on display tonight. And on the ice… not in the penalty box.

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Loonie says:

I’d like to see the guys who were crosschecking him in the face go to the penalty box.

I don’t care how even tempered a player is, there’s no way to take that specific treatment without responding in a way similar to what Subban did.

A spear? Sure. A hack in the back of the leg? Yep. A punch? Definitely.

Cross checking to the face is the dirtiest and most gutless thing in hockey and I still can’t believe that Subban took three of them on Sunday and not one was called a penalty.

• Kooch7800 says:

I loved PK’s response to Turris. He had enough. The ref’s had a lot to do with what happened in that game

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• knob says:

If the ref calls a penalty on Condra for the first cross check to Subban I think that the game would have been a lot more docile. The refs let a lot of garbage go and as a result the game got out of control.

70. Kooch7800 says:

Congrats to PK. Well deserved this year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

71. gmonbo says:

Subban has come into his own the last 2 months. I am extremely impressed how he has matured into a star player. He is the face of the Montreal Canadiens.

G

• Kooch7800 says:

He has impressed me. Everyone knew he was good and get better but he has progressed extremely fast. I think MT has done a very good job with him and getting the best out of him.

He will be getting a very large contract extension this year and if he plays the way he is capable he will be worth it to the habs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

72. bwoar says:

Just a note to the site owners – HATE the Outbrain links. Absolutely annoying plague of the web.

“thoroughbred”

73. bwoar says:

Well deserved! PK proved me wrong during this season.

Needs to keep himself square in the playoffs, but he’s turning out to be everything as advertised. Love his enthusiasm and he’ll be a fine player to watch for many years.

“thoroughbred”

74. Hobie Hansen says:

First!!!!

Subban is the man!

****************
    –Mike Boone

75. Habsrule1 says:

There really should be a minimum age for this site.

Go Habs Go!!

76. Loonie says:

8 years?

This is his sixth NHL season. They called him up as a 20 year old. He won the starting job. Lost it, earned the organization’s trust back and then got rewarded with a contract.

Don’t see any babying there. But that’s just me.

77. krob1000 says:

I apologize in advance if you are in fact missing a hand or fingers or something but if you are not please place both of your hands in front of you, point all your fingers and thumbs in the air…now for every season he has played, lower a finger (this is a counting method to help you out). Now every time you lower a finger or thumb count..but only one per season please.

78. habs-fan-84 says: