Stubbs is all wet (don’t say it) for ALS research

screen-capture-1

Challenged by TSN’s John Lu, The Gazette and Hockey Inside/Out’s Dave Stubbs meets the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge at Valois Park Pool in Pointe-Claire.

Stubbs challenges future CFL commissioner Herb Zurkowsky, also known on Twitter as @HerbZurkowsky1; Montreal Canadiens athletic therapists Graham Rynbend and Nick Addey-Jibb, aka @StangmanAT & @NickJibb; and CTV Montreal weather personality Lise McAuley, aka @LmcauleyCTV.

As silly as the ice shower can be, please remember the message behind it: to raise awareness of and raise funds for research into deadly ALS. Visit www.als.ca/icebucketchallenge and make a donation, as much as you can afford. No amount is too small.

And if you’re also taking the challenge, share the link to your videos in your comments below.

Stubbs ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

1. Fab K says:

Hi everyone,

sorry if this might be a little old, but I need to get caught up on what TV service I will need to continue to watch all Habs games… I live in the Montreal region (Vaudreuil, more specifically) and used to watch all games on RDS (always preferred their broadcast to other english broadcasts)… is RDS good enough, or will I need TVA Sport, or what?

what about English broadcasts?

Thanks for the info!! :)

• Timo says:

If you want to continue watching in french, yes you will. TVA Sports will have I believe 22 games and playoffs and RDS 60. Your other options are regional CBC, TSN and sportsnet. But I think the 2 french channels should cover it.

• Timo says:

Btw, for those who care, TVA Sports is not available outside of Quebec.

• Ron says:

Timo, I’m not sure what you mean by not available outside of Quebec. I believe you must mean viewing out in the western zones. I have TVA Sports here in the Maritimes which is outside the Province of Quebec.

• Timo says:

Sorry… this is what I’ve been told by Bell. I called the about availability of TVA Sports because I could see that channel in the lineup but wasn;’t able to add it. So I called and the rep I talked to told me that this channel is not available outside Quebec.

Guess that shows how much they know about their own product.

• Ron says:

Might be that I’m with Rogers as my provider Timo. I’m in New Brunswick and to be sure I made sure I checked both RDS and TVAS and I still have them.

• Cal says:

You are covered with RDS, CBC and Sportsnet. All games plus playoffs.

2. on2ndthought says:

Summiteers! I was just speaking with Ian. He has the tickets, is organizing the seating, and is hoping to mail them out tomorrow.

I’m going to have to make sure my dog isn’t tied out when the letter carrier passes by the next few days.

I’ll be attending my first summit this year, and hope to put some faces to names then. Cheers.

“a cannonading drive”

3. Commandant says:

Today’s Top Shelf is on the Montreal Canadiens and features our scouting reports on Beaulieu, de la Rose, Tinordi and Sekac. There is also a link to Scherbak’s pre-draft report.

Hope you enjoy.

4. Habcouver says:

Work cuts into my HIO time.
    What am I gonna do when the season starts???

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

5. Hobie says:

I’m in Ottawa so I guess there’s no reason for me to cancel my Rogers cable which costs me around $70 a month. I get all 82 Habs games for that price. Would be nice if I could scrap all the other channel, not pay $70, and get the Supers Sports Pack for $30 a month instead. And get all 82 Habs games.

But nooooo, you have to have at least basic cable for $30-$40 just to be able to order The Super Sports Package for an additional $30.

Hobie’s Habs Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byrgZ90b5Yw&feature=youtu.be

6. secretdragonfly says:

I am looking for some advice from those who have used the hockeystreams site. I am refusing to give one thin dime to Rogers in light of their ridiculous allocations of Habs games and, while I have subscribed to NHL Centre Ice in the past (mostly to watch other teams as I’ve always watched the Habs games exclusively on RDS) I’m concerned about blackouts. Can anyone give me their personal experience with hockeystreams in terms of reliability, quality, etc?

• AndyF says:

Hockeystreams just worked for me, period. It had one issue on one evening, but it all got sorted out within 15 minutes.

I’ve yet to determine whether the site is legal, though. That’s the only issue I have, but might just be due to my own ignorance.

• Timo says:

It is 100% illegal :)
      I got a one week trial with them on Friday and watched a couple of games… quality wise it’s ok… not your pure HD but better than SD… acceptable.

I am cutting the cord as of september though. Just deciding on the box I’ll be going with (leaning towards NUC). If that means fewer Habs games for me so be it. Habs can go and eff themselves because at best they stood there and did nothing about this ridiculous rogers/nhl deal.

• bwoar says:

I bought a NUC a couple months ago, mostly for work, the D34010WYK1. Completely love it. I run Mint on it and Win7 from Virtualbox – I bought this to replace my trusty old XP tower – I’d buy another NUC kit in a second. Love that it came with a mount for the TV too.

BUT, if you’re only gonna run XBMC (lets say) why not get a Raspberry Pi for $80?

• Timo says:

It’s on my list of boxes to read about :)
          I’ve been considering a NUC mostly because of hardware (durability, quality, less effing around with config) but yeah… perhaps a cheaper box will do as well.

• von says:

From what I’ve read, it’s the NHL’s fault. They dictate the regional b-s. So if you can, avoid buying any NHL subscriptions to watch games.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• sirs81 says:

I been using it for a year now. I had one game where I missed 3 min due to a server being down. When I complained they gave me a weeks worth of credit…

• chanchilla says:

the quality is better than any other streaming site such as gamecenter. ive used it for two years and will continue to use it for the years to come.

7. Mavid ® says:

A mere 29 days till pre season against those dirty dirty bruins..that should brighten up your Monday

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

8. Hobie says:

Morning folks! What a gorgeous weekend!

About two weeks left before daily Habs new starts rolling in. Boy does Twitter ever suck when hockey season isn’t going.

9. Mattyleg says:

I miss hockey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. Slackman says:

Is Bissonnette still a UFA? If so then he’s our guy no? Big french guy who can go toe to toe with the likes of Jay Rosehill and still come out of it looking respectable. Which of the goons are still available? Best case scenario IMO would be getting Pat Bordeleau but that doesn’t seem likely

• DipsyDoodler says:

I believe he’s neither French nor much of a fighter.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• adamkennelly says:

I’m one who thinks if MB is going to bother then aim high. Gadzic, Peluso, Bordeleau, Reeves – although further down on the list. Be tough to get but doable.

I hope he makes a move – but highly doubt it.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Adam,

I think you are right that nothing happens before the season. I do think though that MB will make some trades during the season once he sees what he has. I I am not sure we have enough cap space right now for a scrapper without moving someone out first. He did try with Parros last year and we saw how well that worked out

11. AndyF says:

Have the Habs improved?

Definitely! In terms of player development and cap use, we’re way better off.

Having veterans like Gionta, Briere, and Gorges giving their spots to the kids is an important step in getting better. With more ice time, Galchenyuk, Eller, Tinordi, and Beaulieu will mature much faster.

I truly found particularly Gionta and Briere very flat last year. Gionta’s double bicep rupture doesn’t bode well for his future. Rupturing both is normally the sign of a chronic degenerative pathology. Briere just never got in gear. Even Gorges had some really bad moments on the ice last year. For almost $4M, I think we can do better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Solid points Andy and an interesting theory/thought regarding Gionta and his injury. My skeptical mind in this PED use age had me guessing or thinking that perhaps Gionta’s weird twice bicep muscle tears where a result of something funny. I really like your theory better.

• AndyF says:

I asked a friend, who’s an orthopaedic surgeon, and he says that it’s pretty classic, even without PED use. Rupturing both is a sure sign that something’s systemically wrong.

Your tissues heal as a result of an equilibrium of the action of “blast” and “clast” cells. The clast cells destroy ageing tissue and hollow out bone. The blast cells come in and fix damaged connective tissue and fill in bone voids. That equilibrium can go “off”, which is the basis for degenerative skeletal diseases. It’s quite a complex ecosystem.

• Rugger says:

Do you know if Gianta had previously had either shoulder repaired for a dislocation? My bicep tear happened several years after that due to all the muscles in the shoulder area being “shortened” by the repair. Several years later, I grabbed a rugby jersey and the player turned away pulling my arm toward the back and it snapped.

12. Lafleurguy says:

@rhino, Mavid, and others sipping coffee…..even in Green-eyed Alex Kovalev’s best Habs season, Habs did not have a group of offensively productive forwards, and yet they succeeded. Thanks to Mavid, memories of Souray came to mind and a vital cog in Habs recent past offence was a sniper at the point. Souray led the team in goal scoring one season. Succeeding Souray was a very effective Mark Streit. Gainey could have bid for Streit but let the latter walk away along with around 10 other free agents at the end of ’08. Jaroslav Spacek was signed with the hope his scoring from the point would replace the two predecessors. It did not. P.K. presently comes close to Streit’s but not Souray’s prowess. Of course, P.K.’s playmaking and ability to rush the puck out of the defensive zone makes him a vastly better defenseman than the other three named in this post. Anyhow, we may be pleasantly surprised in the forthcoming season by a re-emergence of valuable defenseman-scoring.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy, Cal, Mavid, Ron and all others that may be lurking. Almost all teams have trouble scoring 5 on 5. The powerplay for the Habs will become even more vital this season. With PK and Markov on the points we should expect the tradition of some high scoring dman to continue.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Lafleurguy…….You must be referencing his J C Trembley alley – opp rush where he lifts the puck out of his zone when pressured. I’m a fan of PK’s but most on here don’t watch what is happening on the ice……PK gives up the puck a lot…as much as he is exciting he is also not very defensive…I know this idea isn’t popular on here but sometimes the truth isn’t. I hope he improves enough to warrant his bloated salary. He takes approximately 7.7% of the cap hit for the Habs. That’s a huge hit.

• Lafleurguy says:

@JaHF, I purposely didn’t comment on Subbie’s other defenceman skills as the image of a powder keg came to mind. That was some fluke connection with Rene Bourque 11 seconds into the game, wasn’t it?

13. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

14. rhino514 says:

Have the Habs improved?

Let´s see.

On D, no one knows how Beaulieu and Tinordi will fare with more playing time, but the advanced stats are quite clear that they are already much less of a liability than Murray and Bouillon (though come the playoffs, which is a totally different animal, they are still very green and bigger risks to make an outcome determining gaffe than the much maligned Cube).
    But Beaulieu and Weaver (a great pick-up) will be much stronger than having Bouillon and Murray, or Bouillon and a rawer Beaulieu/Tinordi as we had last year. I still don´t know about Beaulieu´s maturity, but he really doeasn´t have to do much to be better than the aforementioned vets, and Tinordi could also be a capable bottom pairing guy.
    Gilbert offsets Gorges. Emelin will probably be better (how much better we don´t know) on his right side. The only possible negative is that Markov could slow down further in the first year of his new contract; he was pretty awesome through the first 60 games or so last year and it won´t be so easy to duplicate that level of play.
    On offense, Parenteau will offset Gionta and then some, offensively. The ninth forward will be an experiment, but we had the same situation last year. The fourth line is definitely improved on paper, but let´s not overestimate their importance as they play limited minutes.
    Also, Galchenyuk, Eller, and Bourque (if he draws in for most of the games) should all have better seasons, though no one knows how much better.
    The team will miss Gionta´s defensive game, thoug, especially come playoff time.

So yes I see the team as improved over the 100 point team of last year. But the team is not as good of a playoff team as last year´s team. In a league of obscene parity, just having Vanek as a threat even if he´s not playing well, can be the difference in a game.

The loss of 3 veterans will also hurt come playoff time
    Briere, a regular season non-factor, was huge in certain games in the playoffs, most notably the last deciding game against the bruins. Gionta´s defensive game will be sorely missed there, and Gorges, to a certain extent, as well.

To counteract this; IMO 3 things have to happen; the young veterans like Pacioretty and Subban have to assume more leadership. And, yes, if we want to go far in the playoffs, we will have to acquire a guy who can replace some of what we lost with Vanek. Even if one of our prospect wingers surprise, they cannot be counted on to do much during the playoffs, particularly defensively. However, because of that extra change coughed up on subban´s contract, I´m not sure we have the space to make such an acquisition, even at the deadline. Remember how we struggled to score goals during the regular season and the firepower shown after the Vanek acquisition. Guys like Eller, Bourque and others seem to perform much better when they are not the focus of other teams attention.

So a very good regular season team, but we are a good established winger away from being able to duplicate what we did this spring. Of course I prfer having a better playoff team, as opposed to a better regular season team.

• Cal says:

A lot of question marks to be sure. I am glad that both Gio and Gorges have moved on, giving room for new faces. Both were hard workers, but their effectiveness as game changers declined, especially Gio.

It’s going to be an interesting season.

• Habfan17 says:

Love your post. I would also mention DD among those who should be better this season. That would be not having a long slump.
      One kid who may surprise is Sherbak! He is really working his tail off looking to make the team.

I am not as concerned about the loss of the 3 vets. The young core of PK, Patches, Gallagher, Eller, and Price have great experience from last season’s play offs. There are also enough veterans around who provide leadership. Gilbert, Markov and Weaver have enough experience on the backend and Emelin has also had plenty of experience.

Up front, Malhotra, Pleks, Bourque, Parenteau and Moen also bring a quiet leadership and experience. Eller seems to be a late bloomer and at 25, already has 4 full seasons under his belt.

I agree with you, there will be an adjustment, and players like Beaulieu and Tinordi may not be as strong in the playoffs due to lack of seasoning. I trust in Bergevin and I don’t believe he would have made these moves if he didn’t feel the players were ready to step up.

Overall, I think we are in for a fun and entertaining season!
      Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

I think you hit all the relevant points Rhino. I still can’t get the taste of the disappearing Vanek out of my mouth so I’m not disappointed he didn’t come back. I mean, conference final, one series away from a cup and “you” provide that kind of effort?

Back to your post, I love your statement about the team being better but may not be a better playoff team. Excellent observation and hopefully the youngsters can step up and fill those veteran presence voids quickly.
      CHeers.

• veryhabby says:

rhino…some good pts. Most fans scoff at the thought of us missing Gorges/Gio, but I agree come playoffs is where we will notice this.

Now if vets like Gilbert (that I know nothing about) and Weaver come into playoffs with a bigger D role, I think they can replace what Gorges does for us when playoffs hit.

When it comes to Gio’s D game…I think Manny can have a bigger role in this team come playoffs. I mean last year we had Briere in the 4th line center. Briere brought no D to his game. Manny will probably replace Gio when it comes to PK. And when it comes to 2nd/mostly 3rd line minutes come playoffs…I think we’ll see a bit of missing Gio’s D game there. But at same time, it may be Bournival there, or maybe guys like Prust/Moen/Weise may be asked to step up on D side of things 5 on 5. At this time we don’t know who will be frwd #9. But I think we may have some who can cover Gio’s D side of things.

As mentioned PA should cover for 20 goals, and that be more then what Gio brought us recently. And yes, we still are lacking a scoring frwd for that top line. MB saw that last year and went for Vanek. That hole is still there.

If you ask me we are 2 pieces away from being a steady top East team for years to come. With this core, we still need a #2 dman to play with PK. I love Markov, but if we think he can keep up the next 3 yrs…well none of us think that. The 2nd piece is a another top line winger. We have TONS of 20 goal guys. If we can land another 30 goal guy. WOW. Maybe a consistant 25-30 goal guy. 2 pieces away. Will they come from our prospects (if so hopefully pretty quick as our core is really good right now)

15. Nostradumba$$ says:

Predections for coming season
    1. There will be no trades of significance untill xmas
    2. The coach will not be fired
    3. The youth will step up
    4. The team will have a 40 goal scorer
    5. Gallagher will still have all his teeth
    6. No heavyweight will be acquired
    7. There will be a captain
    8. Galchenyuk will suprise
    9. They will make the playoffs
    10. They will win the Cup

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

11. One more flipp’n dumb-arse prediction…zzzzzzzzzzzz…btw, (ludicrous predictions aside) love that handle, Nosty

• ProHabs says:

Booooooo to number 6

• The_Truth says:

All quite reasonable except the last one IMO.

Have the Habs improved over last season? Marginally perhaps, but quite possibly not. I see them as having the same kind of team with the same kind of question marks. Offense was the main problem last year (as the year before), with trouble sustaining a forecheck to create scoring chances as well as net presence 5 on 5 and the PP. Really showed in the Playoffs, despite their run. I just don’t see that as being improved.

It’s just a good thing this team isn’t in the West as I feel their playoff hopes would be slim.

A good team, but not great.

• Habfan17 says:

1 When you say no trades of significance, do you mean with the Habs or league wide?

I would add 11 – Sekac will surprise and 12 – Sherbak will turn heads at training camp!

Habfan17

16. frontenac1 says:

Ah Christ! First the Als, then The Chargers. No more Single Malt. Finished the Vodka and Rum yesterday bass fishing with my buddy The Sharks Fan. I’m now reduced to drinking my wife’s gin for God’s sake.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

One word: LCBO

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not a bad result front. The first-teamers dominated San Fran’s, on both sides of the ball. Corey Liuget played as befits a fourth year 1st-round pick. The scrubs got pushed around by the 49′ers’, but that’s to be expected, they have much greater depth than we do.

The only worrisome aspect is Kwame Geathers being injured, we were thin to begin with at defensive line, and now have lost five DL’s to injury. We’ll be poaching other teams’ players on cutdown day next Saturday.

• CJ says:

I had a buddy that used to drink gin and water. Said it tasted like kool-aid. He had a real bad habit of walking into complete stranger’s houses and passing out on their couch. True story. He went to a college in Belleville. Loyalist maybe? In any event, he never got in trouble, which probably speaks more to the kindness of strangers and the extreme luck which appeared cloaked around this young man. I haven’t seen him since my wedding, but consider him a good friend.

Moral of the story, be wary of gin Front. It will f@&k you up.

17. scamorza says:

On the defense situation – Simple let the best d play. Too much consternation on old versus youth. the good news is they have a good mix of vets (Markov, weaver) who should be rested so that they are burned as we go deep in the playoffs. Yes I believe we will. Take a look at our defense this year compared to last and we are better IMHO. Tinordi when he plays will have to play with an edge, effectively replacing Murray’s nastiness but thankfully not as slow. Emelin should be better playing on his better side. And as pointed has played with nastiness and will need to bring it on a consistent basis. Gilbert is an upgrade on Gorges on 2nd line PP. Then again almost anyone would be. We will miss Gorges heart and leadership but Weaver plays the same way and Gorges messed up more last year than in previous years. Beaulieu should be better. And Subban showed in the playoffs that he is an elite defenseman. Now with the contract situation done we will see if he can reach the Doughty status. Won’t even go into drewiske, Pateryn or Nygren
    Will be an interesting camp . Hockey Is starting soon. My league starts two weeks today!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• UKRAINIANhab says:

The thing with Gorges was that he contributed absolutely squat in the offensive zone. Gilbert is an upgrade, not in leadership though.

• scamorza says:

What with that cannon adding drive :-) you are right hey the guy played his heart out but not the most skilled especially on the offence but he is a good 4-6 d ( depending on the team) focused on defensive play.

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• The_Truth says:

Gilbert is an upgrade offensively of course, but is he overall? Not too sure about that.

• Phil C says:

“Simple let the best d play”.

Exactly. The NHL is not a developmental league, you don’t give young players ice time until they earn it. It’s usually pretty obvious when a young player is ready.

• scamorza says:

They will probably have their chance for the simple reason that some players will under perform from time to time, will need a rest and of course you can almost predict someone getting hurt for a period of time. But I agree with you let them ( and this is all the players earn their time). We may not agree with every Therrien move, I sure have not . But he has been more right than wrong in who plays and who sits and the results have been there to see over the last two years – two years in a row in the playoffs and final four last year; considering the team that ain’t too bad. Training camp hasn’t even started yet so we can speculate all we want. Who even knows if we will have the same personnel once the season starts!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

18. govenah says:

I am back after a long summer of not posting and trying to suppress my hockey jones. Regarding Crane’s earlier post: and Phil C’s post
    …3 young guys and Weaver rotate each playing 40-50 games plus covering injuries it work good,everyone ready for playoffs. …And Tinordi not showing he can play in the NHL. I agree with Crane on the game split among the rookies and disagree with Phil. Some nights last year Georges, Bullion, Murray and Emelin (and even Markov) all looked lost and not NHL worthy. Let the kids get in and play.

Cant wait for this season to get started. Pre-season can’t come soon enough.

Fight for the finish!

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

Price, Budaj
    Price, Tokarski

Looking like the first one, Budaj is a good goalie. I think he still should have a spot in montreal.

• CJ says:

What do you do with Toker Ukranian? Would you risk waivers? Trade bait? What you thinking bud? I doubt they can move Budaj. Maybe he gets picked up on waivers, but I doubt it unless somebody has injury problems. Same with Moen, nobody is going to pick him up, even on waivers. So, we are likely carrying both going forward. Budaj won’t get extended, so it’s only one more season, but Moen is on the books for two more years.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Tbh I am trying to put a positive spin on it. If I am Berge I am trying to move Budaj, I still think there could be a sucker into taking a veteran backup? Budaj isn’t a bad backup. I think Berge is shopping him, no takers.

There is not a team in the league that is interested in Moen, other than Burkey and the Flames maybe. All i am going to say regarding Moen is..

He is a good penalty killer :)

20. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

21. frontenac1 says:

Go Chargers! Kick 9′er Arse!!

22. habsmandes says:

On another note Beaulieu reminds me a lot of JC Tremblay. That pass he made to Patch and the way he’s in and out of the players in defensive zone reminds me of Tremblay as well. Player’s play differenetly now, but Beaulieu might be well served in wathcing some of JC’s work.

23. habsmandes says:

Wait a minute, you gotta play these guys in the show, I agree they are not as good as Doughtey, Sutter Subban or any of the other big names, but even these guys made mistakes. These guys have showed steady improvement wherever they have played. If you don’t give them the chance to learn, you won’t get the result. Everyone in Mtl is so obsessed with getting he cup now, they won’t let the normal progress of player development happen. Look what happened to Gorges, how long was he a peripheral player before his value became obvious to the team. He was given the chance to learn the game and he thrived. Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn need that same chance or else we will be saying the same thing we have said about McDonough. Give them a chance to get a full year of NHL experience and I say if they don’t break through this year, next year everyone will be saying the Canadiens have the best defence in the NHL, and it won’t be the big 3, it will be the big six.