Stu On the Point: Show me the players

Stu On the Point — Montreal Gazette columnist Stu Cowan discusses the Bruins decision to fire Claude Julien and why that move could backfire. Oh and if you think Julien could wind up coaching the Canadiens, think again, Cowan says.

1. ThebadBoards says:

SORRY Big man (MAN MOUNTAIN) WHATEVER ! Is slow slow slower as the season progresses . hope he gets a reconditioning next year Yikes ! How long is his contract for ?

2. murfdog says:

Well Stu what do you mean…….

3. Habs#4 says:

Hmm. Not sure CJ will make a big difference. CJ’s talent and success in B had more to do with an all out physical, border line aggressive / intimidating style of play to knock teams off their game. And less to do with developing a skilled playbook tailored for the players he is given. The game today is more skills and speed than force and physicality, for which he was well suited (including his personality) when he won the cup. It will be interesting to see if he can transform and transition.

4. theflukester says:

Stu are you the alternate-facts sports writer?

I look forward to Julien and the change. Glad MB finally put on a pair and did what had to be done.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

5. RH says:

Huh! Haven’t been on here in so long, think I forgot how to post a comment. Don’t see the one I just posted.
    Hope this one works….

6. RH says:

Great news coming from a franchise that has had none for the past year and a half.

Doorknob of a GM doing what he has to to keep his job but, he’s probably not that far from joining his foxhole chum on the unemployment line.

7. sCOTT1243 says:

Canadiens getting calls on Galchenyuk

TSN’s Darren Dreger discusses the Oilers interest in acquiring another skilled forward, and the Canadiens are taking called on Alex Galchenyuk but the offer will have to be impressive.

8. The Eradicator says:

Hold on, folks, hold on, this news may be a hoax.

So far, no mention of the coaching change on “Around the Horn” on ESPN…

———————————————————————–
    ¡Viva Frontenac siempre y para siempre!

9. on2ndthought says:

wish granted

Free Front.

10. Forum Dog says:

Bergevin. King of the sideways move.

11. habfan01 says:

Glad to see Therrien gone. Not so sure about julien. Don’t think his coaching style fits. Would rather have seen Mueller given a shot.

12. D Mex says:

Good first step.
    The pillars of this team are Weber and Price – their play of late suggests they may have sensed this was possible and that they were not opposed.

The Subban whine brigade has been fond of telling us that Bergevin moved that problem in favour of his friend, Therrien. I wonder what that becomes now.
    – Next up : make Desharnais disappear
    – With any luck, his neighbour follows or grows a pair
    – Get Tavares

Ray Ferraro was just on TSN690 and, as usual, worth the listen.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

Remember the Therrien – Desharnais duet here : http://i.imgur.com/NoNJ3FV.gif
    Lacroix / Pacioretty : All Desharnais All the Time !
    Support Therrien – vote Desharnais : https://www.nhl.com/all-star-ballot

13. RightNyder says:

Julien will troll us by starting DD with Pacioretty and Radulov in his first game…

14. Habsolo says:

DD bought those dozen roses for no good reason now.

15. Bash says:

So we have one French player (Danault).
    (You can count DD for another but I can’t see CJ playing him)

And therefore we need a French coach to give one of four prescript after game comments.

Makes sense.

“Damn it Jim I’m not a doctor; I’m a hockey expert.”

16. Habsolo says:

Carbo is already taking some swings in the on deck circle.

17. RightNyder says:

Now work something out so Sir Lawrence of Robinsonia will come back to pitch in for a short time…

18. Slack says:

Who are you dunces gonna blame a loss on now?

19. Habsolo says:

How long do we have to think again before Stu eats his words and posts the Habs fire/hire story?

20. Danno says:

So it’s true?

The foxhole is a lonely place now….

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

21. CJinBK says:

Right. I’m back. Happy Valentines Day, gang!

22. Habby_Haberton says:

I think having a Stanley cup winning coach, someone who is also part of team canada means something…something good.

23. RightNyder says:

Pleased that MT was shown the door.
    Would be a little happier if our choices weren’t limited to the recycling bin in the corner that only contains three or four items.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if a deal involving Galchenyuk, Duchene, etc. is already in the works.

24. Luke says:

We’ll, it’s on the players now.

Hopefully this doughnut stuffing troglodyte can wave the same magic wand over Shaw that he waved over Marchand.

25. Forum Dog says:

Jeezus Murphy. What’s old is new, or something like that……

Kind of wish the Habs could think outside the box a bit on coaches, but whatever. Should be an fairly easy transition for the players. His system is set and will be easy to implement.

26. chilli says:

Groundhog day in Habsland.
    Vigneault will replace Julien after this….

Like a few of us said after the PK trade: MT will be gone before the end of next year and PK will be a top player in the league for another 10 years.

27. Arnou Ruelle says:

I was waiting for a move to come before I can post my thoughts, this is to me, a first in a series of moves.

The firing of Michel Therrien is, if I can sum it up, a big news. And, I can tell this now that the hiring Claude Julien, is another Geoff Molson move.

I don’t see this coaching change as a Marc Bergevin decision. I can see that Bergy is feeling the heat from both the fans and ownership. Its either him or Therrien.

This will be a loooonnnggg…week for the Habs. Good Luck coach Julien.

Another 2nd stint for another coach eh?

“Show me the Players” should be “Show me the Coach!”

28. DipsyDoodler says:

Remember Julien is the guy who couldn’t get anything out of Tyler Seguin.

—–

29. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Garanteed Habs vs. Bruins in the 1st round.