Still no contract for bulked-up Subban

Subbanweb

As the countdown continues toward an NHL lockout on Sept. 15, the clock is also ticking on contract talks between the Canadiens and restricted free-agent defenceman P.K. Subban.

When Marc Bergevin was asked about the Subban situation during a press conference on Aug. 14, the Canadiens GM responded: “Out of respect for P.K. and his agent (Don Meehan), I don’t want to talk about it. It’s an ongoing process. We’ll get around to it.”

The question remains when?

“He’s a good young player,” Bergevin said on Aug. 14. “There’s a lot of things that come into play, (but) there’s potential there for sure.”

Meanwhile, NHL.com reported on Aug. 27 that Subban has been busy working out and has bulked up to 220 pounds after playing last season with 206 pounds on his 6-foot frame.

“I eat a lot of protein – steak in the morning, steak in the afternoon, fish, chicken,” Subban told NHL.com. “At the start of the summer I order a whole cow from a grain-fed farm. I have it at my parents’ house and my mom will season (the butchered meat) and I’ll pick them up to have steaks for the week.”

It’s part of a new nutrition plan designed for Subban by his personal trainer, Clance Laylor, who has eliminated all grain, wheat and dairy products.

You can read the entire NHL.com article by clicking here.

(Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

1. Michael says:

No grain, wheat, or dairy, with lots of red meat? I guess it’s safe to assume that those 14 lbs he gained are comprised almost exclusively of backed-up fecal matter?

2. habsmandes says:

Mr. Suban will be negotiated with once the deadline approches.
    There isn’t any hurry, he wants to be a Hab, the Habs will give him what he wants if another team wants to play footsies. I think it’s just a matter of letting the chaff clear and doing a cut and set.
    All the other signings (Edmonton mostly) are a result of them not having a choice I feel (money matters) .
    It’s easy to say these people weren’t in their last year and got renegotiated, but PK is in the seniority list and it’s got to be respected to a certain point.
    On the other side Habs management better not take too much for granted as the NHL/NHLPA talks appear to be all about money. If they don’t show good faith with PK it may not turn in their best interest.

3. otisfxu says:

All I’ve heard all summer is about how we are now headed in right direction, have all this great front office people, new coach, new GM with some smarts,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmm I’m trying to imagine the howling and hoopla if the previous GM was still around dilly dallying with PK.

I hope he gets signed to a good contract for both sides. PK is going to be a good player – maybe a 20 goal scorer in years to come. But seems to be something somewhere that is holding this thing up. If Brandon Prust is worth signing, then for sure PK is too.

4. Marc10 says:

Big opportunity for one of the kids unless we resign AK46.

Now that THN 13th place ranking starts to look like a lock assuming there is a season…

5. nunacanadien says:

You ever notice everytime a habs player fights but is not loved they get their contracts not renewed or traded like the Kosty boys? Look at what happened to Cammy. You just know Therrien is not going to want to fight verbally with Subban. You just know that Bergevin is trying to find the easy way out by playing hardball with Subban.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Dude, you are starting to sound like some kind of a wacko conspiracy theorist, it has not been pleasant to watch you gradually unravel these past several months.

• nunacanadien says:

Hey, Gauthier proved what I had been saying all along my friend, while you fans with rose colored glasses buy the PR that is put out by the habs, Gauthier admitted before the end of the season the habs had become too small, not tough enough. Guess what the bulk of the habs that had become too small and not tough enough are still there. In fact we lost some tough and big players, Cammy could be tough when he wanted to by, Gill was big, and we let go guys with a hard working ethic to replace the injured players but we got stuck with long term contracts. This tells me that someone doesn’t know what the heck they are doing in the management of the habs.

• saskhabfan says:

Cammy could be tough when he wanted to? LMAO. Gill was big? Sure physically he is, but i bet the cube could actually beat him in a fight. Thanks for the laugh though.

• nunacanadien says:

The cube when interviewed on HIO gave respect to Gill and only Gill for being the only hab to stand up to the cube. Hey, give respect where it is due my friend.

• --Habs-- says:

No disrespect to women here but Cammy was a girl!

Go HABS Go

6. Bripro says:

So Max is involved in another venue for his good cause.
    Personally, I had to decline his invitation. I’m just not warmed up enough.
    But Jim and Burley could have easily accepted.
    After all, they’ve had lots of practice.

7. B says:

The NHL might not be playing for a while, but the Junior camps are already in full swing. The WHL has already started exhibition games (Moose Jaw beat Swift Current 3-1). The OHL and QMJHL start playing exhibition games this Friday.

Does anyone know if Galchenyuk is in camp with the Sting? I have a feeling he may not be there yet and may not join them until after the Habs rookie camp (which starts Sept 14th but may not run past the Sept 15th CBA expiration date). Galchenyuk may be better off to be with the Sting at the point in time as Sarnia is his likely destination anyways.

8. Joehabs says:

Pk has talent, that is hard to argue against. He rubs alot of players the wrong way, including players on his own team. That’s not so bad when your winning, but when your not winning he will be a big target. The great players hated to lose. He will have to learn when to shut it down and zip it. I really think the Habs miss an opportunity to address this by not hiring Larry Robinson as defence coach. For those who did not see Robinson play hockey, you missed something special.

• nunacanadien says:

The big bird was great to watch alongside the other great wonderful superstars, when the habs actually had a bona fide superstar……

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Agreed Larry Robinson was/is special. Imagine Robinson behind the bench, then imagine JJ Dainought(Sorry bout spelling), not even close. Apparently, Therion was intimidated by the presense of Robinson behind the bench, in case things unravell for him. So he, and BG take on JJ Dainaught(another poor atempt).
      That kind of thinking from a head coach smacks of lack of confidence!

9. frontenac1 says:

Man oh man, Bourque! I hope Markov is just floating around in a hot tub in the off season. Scared the crap out of me last season when he came back and got bumped at the blueline and then Gimped off the ice.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Floating in a hot tub all off season?

Sounds like the best plan. Muscle atrophy is one thing and can be fixed with a few good weeks of excercise but tendon atrophy would probably cause Mr Markov’s leg to completely fail as soon as he tried to take one good stride and then another full year of rehab after surgery. Tendons take a long time to strengthen back up, even after short layoffs.

I hope Markov has been working out all summer… but that is just me.

• frontenac1 says:

Me too! I was just being paranoid. Hope he doesn’t have the same trainer as Bourque though. I got a feeling I will be drinking doubles with each hit he takes this season.

• Bripro says:

You’re just looking for an excuse to drink.
          Do like me…. no excuses necessary. Just make one up!

• nunacanadien says:

I warned you all that Bourque is an easily injured player. What a loss to lose Cammy, especially since all Bergevin has done is continue the Gillette/Gauthier experiment to sign injury prone and small players…..

10. shiram says:

« Mon message aux partisans est que je veux jouer à Montréal, et je veux être ici longtemps », a affirmé Subban mercredi, en marge de l’Invitation Max Pacioretty disputé au Club de golf le Versant, à Terrebonne.
    “My message to the fans is that I want to play in Montreal, and I want to be in MTL for a long time.” Subban said at Pacioretty’s golf tournament. He also said there’s no reason for him to want to play elsewhere.

Nothing new really, but it does not hurt to repeat it, I saw a post about him wanting to be a Bruins today, hope this clarifies.

11. shiram says:

With Bourque out 2-3 months, signing AK46 makes more and more sense to me, if he’s willing to take a one year deal.

• Cal says:

No looking back. AK burnt his bridges. Mind you, if you like a player who shows up once every four games and can pay him 1/4th the salary he had last year, what the heck?

• nunacanadien says:

That’s how Gauthier made the team, first Gilette and Gainey got us injury prone veterans who are too small to fight back, then we get the Kaberle/Bourque contracts, while not big handicap us! The habs have become lazy in trying to find talented help. We end up patching this leaky ship everytime it springs a Markov leak with a Kaberle long term contract or every time it makes a complaint like Cammy we sign an injury prone Bourque…..

12. RobertAlanFord says:

If the new CBA does in fact cut the cap to $58 million then they should offer an amnesty clause. Also, Bergevin wont be able to negotiate with PK until that is becomes a reality.

@RAFord77

13. zaq007 says:

Bourque injured for 8-12 weeks…seriously… :/

14. arcosenate says:

I think we might have a hockey season:

15. commandant says:

I have a feeling that PK’s signing and the CBA resolution will be very close together. Just a question of what comes first.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

16. jon514 says:

Sens just signed Turris to a 5 year (reportedly 3.5 million per). Seems like someone knows the value of a 23 year old center with size and huge upside who put up 29 points last year. Too bad Eller only got 28. Let’s trade him eh?

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

• 24 Cups says:

This for a guy who has yet to prove he truly belongs.

All this cash based on potential and possible upside.

And to think everyone gets uptight over Ireland, Iceland, Greece and Italy.

• B says:

Eller played 1,209:35 last season scoring 28 points. Turris played 926:58 scoring 29 points. Eller is signed at a cap hit of $1.325M for the next season while Turris is signed at a $1.4M cap hit for next season.Turris did get a friendly 5 year extension today, we will have to wait and see what Eller’s next contract will be. Perhaps it will be similar to Turris’s. They both have very similar 2nd contracts (Eller 2yr $2.65M and Turris 2yr $2.8M).

17. flowerpower_74 says:

I voted for Serge Savard because of his affiliation with the Habs after his playing days, helping bring two more Stanley Cups to Montreal. Even though I have a great admiration for Big Bird and that +730 career plus minus will never even be approached!

GALCHENYUK FOR 9 GAMES WITH THE BIG CLUB THIS YEAR!!

18. arcosenate says:

Subban might do some damage at 220 lbs, hope he doesn’t lose any footspeed…

19. twilighthours says:

Just saw Brad Marchand at the local mall.

I went to hit him but he submarined me.

20. JUST ME says:

Now to put a little gas on the fire here `s what Michel Therrien said about number 11 this morning.

Il fait partie de l’équipe, a-t-il déclaré quelques minutes avant le coup d’envoi du tournoi de golf de Max Pacioretty mercredi, au Club de golf Le Versant de Terrebonne. Sa présence va amener de la compétition à l’interne. Ce n’est jamais mauvais d’avoir cela.»

This was taken on the Canoe web site and confirms what i thought and said all along. Gomez will have a fair chance,will play next season. I think (hope?) he will be gone at the end of the season when a bit more than a year will be left on his deal. Knowing the owners as we do , one will be more than willing to take the chance and pay the price.

21. If the NHLPA accepts the NHL’s new proposal, then the salary cap would be $58 M. That’s a huge cut from $70.2 M, a lot of teams would be in big trouble – including our Habs. We would be approx. 5 million over the salary cap. Wow..
    If that does happen Bergevin has no option but to get rid of Scott Gomez.
    On the bright side the Bruins would be $10 M over.

22. Rad says:

When we watch Subban skate circles around everybody on the ice it is easy to overlook just how strong this kid is. He is built like a mack truck — just ask Brad Marchand or Adam Larsson. And once Subban learns how to properly bodycheck (not just with his back), he will be an intimidating presence like Scott Stevens used to be. With his skating ability, compete level, and dedication to training, Pernell Karl is going to be a force in this league for a long time.

23. commandant says:

Interesting article on a sleeper prospect I found from the Pipeline Show. A player many of us forgot about because he didn’t play last season.

Pipeline does some great stuff on prospects.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Un Canadien errant says:

A NCAA Division 1 athlete isn’t allowed to transfer from one school to another and play that season, he must sit out a year. While he sits out he’s allowed to redshirt and maintain that year of eligibility, so he will be able to play four years of hockey, sandwiched around his off year.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Pretty sure Cichy is no longer with the team? Thought I read something about losing his right because he wasn’t offered a deal… I could be wrong.

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

Very far fetch to rank him as ‘one to watch’ from a pespective of potential ‘greatness’. Nothing in the history of the player given by he author suggests that Cichy would surpass the initial threshold reached in his early years (maybe more due to early youthful enthusiasm than dedication) to persevere to become NHL material, especially given the long and unrewarding road that he has to travel from the depths of the minors. There was a comment to the post which described Cichy as lazy. While I do not know the player well enough to judge how truthful that assessment his, I sense from the article that Cichy isnt blessed with ‘stick-to-ivness’

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed trini. A seventh-rounder who couldn’t crack his college lineup and had to transfer doesn’t project into a professional very easily. When we temper each other’s enthusiasm that Michaël Bournival, Brendan Gallagher, Louis Leblanc, Patrick Holland, Danny Kristo, etc, won’t all make the NHL, some will top out at the AHL level, and these guys excelled at the previous level of competition, we then have to be very skeptical of Mr. Cichy’s chances. He’s obviously very talented to even be drafted, but he’s now playing against all the other talented guys.

Probably a website that threw an opinion out there because there’s only so much that can be said about Alex Galchenyuk, they needed a different topic of conversation.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Alex who? Never heard of him. Is he new or something?

(sarcasm font is fully engaged)

• habstrinifan says:

You take back what you said about Brendan Gallagher and Michael Bournival possibly not making the NHL else you will not be included in the ceremony to posthumously retire my prognosticating quill with which I have confidently penned both as Habs stars of the future.

All kidding aside I think you characterized the article very well in your last paragraph.

24. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

So Subban is 220 now……..

there goes our crease problems, that is if they make any effort to sign him.

25. DorvalTony says:

Good. Imagine how many guys he will powder like Marchant this year. (If they play a season that is.)

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

26. “Meanwhile, NHL.com reported on Aug. 27 that Subban has been busy working out and has bulked up to 220 pounds after playing last season with 206 pounds on his 6-foot frame.”

This kind of troubles me. The last time I did any research on adding weight as part of fitness regime, the thing I will always remember is the fact you cannot gain any more than 12 pounds of muscle per calender year without resorting to unnatural substances. I suppose he may have put on two pounds of fat too, but when you see how shredded these guys can be, it just makes me wonder if it’s a little hyperbole. All that weight in a few months? I surely hope he’s doing it cleanly. But at the end of the day, I’m no specialist.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My research, though cursory, was even more pessimistic. I remember in the eighties and nineties, when bodybuilding was bigger than it is today, and steroids were rampant, that studies showed that an adult male could add only two to three pounds of lean muscle mass a year, at best.

Nevertheless I’m not worried about P.K. He’s subjected to drug testing, so he wouldn’t be using PED’s, since he’s a smart boy. Also, as I stated in my post below, I always take these summer training weight reports with a grain of salt.

I mentioned creatine because it does add weight. Your muscles take on additional water, and they look bigger, puffier, but not necessarily defined, which is a problem for bodybuilders, but not for a hockey player on an intense muscle building phase in the off-season.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Two or three??? Bugger your studies, I can tell you from experience you can gain 10lbs in 6 months while maintaining a job

• Un Canadien errant says:

Read it again, Trisomy. There’s a difference between gaining lean muscle mass and “ten pounds of muscle”. I’m not saying I’m right, just that when someone claims they put on ten pounds in six months, that’s a lot. Researchers weren’t able to replicate these gains when controlling for all factors.

• habsnyc says:

they do not test in the offseason. still, there is no reason to imply that he is taking PED’s.

i agree, the weight reports should be taken with a grain of salt. playing weights are ranges not specific numbers. a player loses up to 10 pounds during a single high intensity game game. subban could have been 210-215 last season and just listed at 206 at one point in time. he could also be 220 prior to training camp and finish training camp at 212.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Mats Naslund says:

Keep in mind that all comments from players about their playing weight should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt.

Players fudge their heights and weights all the time. They also go through long periods of roller coaster weight gain and loss because of the heavy demands on their energy and time, and their dietary choices.

Also consider that PK is entering a point in his life at 23 where he is most likely to put on weight. Heavy training with a superbly managed dietary and training regime coupled with a natural tendency in males in their early 20s to put on weight could all be contributing factors. Add to that the fact that EVERY player at almost every level uses some form of supplement to enhance muscle development in workouts and I could see Subban bulking up significantly. Whether that means adding 15 pounds in a year or not.

• aemarchand11 says:

I also seem to remember an article last season saying he was 210 or something not 206, which was his weight the season before. So I wouldnt read into that too much.

• habstrinifan says:

Read my post re my observation about P.K’s propensity to carry some fat. Any close look at him last year would tell you that. I am not talking ‘fat’ and outta shape like Kaberle was but you could see it, like you did with Emelin to a greater degree.

That is what they are addressing. Since muscle weighs much more than fat it seems that the figures quoted are relatively accurate and obtainable by the diet and workout regimen he is undergoing.

Also read UCE’s reminder post that P.K’s ‘workout’ is not that of a body-builder, with emphasis on pounding the weights alone.

27. Clay says:

Poll results are not at all surprising. What is surprising is that this obvious question was chosen for a poll here. Someone needs to work a little harder to earn their pay.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Un Canadien errant says:

I always felt a little sorry for Guy Lapointe during the Big 3 era. Larry and Serge Savard got to play with each other, while Guy was playing with a non-Big 3 D. Of course, he still had quality partners like Rod Langway and Bill Nyrop and others, but I kind of felt he was getting a raw deal, like maybe they should have had a rotation going or something.

• frontenac1 says:

Pointeu!! I remember back in the 70″s,a buddy of mine use to go out with a girl that looked just like him! Boy, did he ever get the gears from us .Poor Bugger.

• habstrinifan says:

Guy Lapointe was a beautiful ‘in place’ stick handler. While Robinson’s offense was based on the rink-length rush and Savard was conservativel in his, Lapointe was an artful dodger with the puck in close quarters. He had a sort of soccer like artistry to his game.

28. alfieturcotte says:

The smart move would be to lock up PK long term (6 years). You might pay more for the first 2 years, but certainly less thereafter. He is the cornerstone of the franchise – not golden boy Price. I am troubled by the nearsightedness of Habs management.

29. Bripro says:

Can someone tell me where Timo’s disappeared to?
    I read yesterday that he’s in Russia or the Czech republic?
    It’s been so non-confrontational with his hiatus… I mean,
    who else is going to throw out the MAB one-liners?
    He’s a cynic with style!

• Clay says:

He went to Russia – or so he said a a week or two ago here.

__________________________

• habstrinifan says:

He heard about ‘pussy riot’ in Russia and couldnt resist temptation. If you think he was cynical before he went, wait until he comes back from that disappointment. Hope they dont confiscate his MAB pin-up.

30. ed lopaz says:

anyone paying close attention to PK could see that he was going to add muscle and pounds to his game. he has the body to do it without taking away even a fraction of second of speed or mobility.

we are looking at one of the best d-men in the NHL for the next 10-15 years.

there are aspects of his game that need to improve – and they most certainly will – because this is a dedicated, intelligent and superior athlete.

Ray Bourque, a Montreal (St Laurent) native who is one of the finest defencemen in the history of the game, played at 6′ and 219 lbs.

PK would do well to study some video tape of Bourque in action.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. He’s adding explosive strength to his solid frame. His workouts aren’t just static bench pressing and arm curls, he’s doing a lot of explosion work and dryland training. He’s not getting ‘too bulky’, the training he does has a lot of dynamic exercises instead of just isolation work that was big in the nineties and for bodybuilders.

Also, always take a player’s self-reported weight with a grain of salt. There’s an element of pride and bragging and ‘power of positive thinking’ to that. Notice that it’s always round numbers, it’s five or ten pounds, or “I’m weighing two hundred right now”.

I’m sure P.K. comes close to 220 lbs. at certain times of the day, but it’s hard to believe that he has added 14 pounds of muscle in one summer, if not downright impossible. A lot of it might be water weight from the creatine he’s using, and because he’s doing nothing but lifting and resting right now. As soon as he hits the ice, he’ll settle back down to a lower weight, but he’ll be bigger and stronger and two to three pound heavier than last season and benefit from his well-spent summer.

• JayK-47 says:

UCE, I’m 35 and I’ve added 14 lbs of muscle this summer.

I was a die-hard cardio fan since I was in the Marines and since changed to mix it up with weightlifting when I became a firefighter. My work-outs were basically long runs, weight day, rest, repeat.

BUT, this summer, I got a coach who was a serious weight lifter who now coaches a pylometric style and WOW. I’m faster and more powerful than I’ve ever been in my life, including post boot camp.

I eat tons better (also, tons) but I won’t give up the carbs. I <3 beer too mas.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I’m not an expert, and my knowledge dates back decades on this I think. The argument was that these amazing claims of putting on huge amounts of weight were misleading, that it was mostly water weight if it was true at all. The actual lean muscle mass that a person doing dedicated weight training could put on topped out at 2-3 pounds in a year, and if the athlete kept at it, there would be diminishing returns after a few years.

I’m glad to hear of your results, it does sound like your physique is responding to the resistance training, after all these years of being a cardiovascular machine.

I never understood why people do cardio. It’s not like it helps you bench more or anything…

• Chris says:

As an 18 year old, Alex Kovalev was listed at approximately 180 pounds when he was drafted.

By ate 20, he had increased his weight to 189 pounds.
        By 21, his weight had barely increased, to 200 pounds.
        At 22, he was up to 200 pounds, then 205 pounds by age 23.

He plateaued at 205 pounds before adding another 5 pounds at age 25.

He then stayed at 210 pounds until the lockout. In 2005-06, he entered the season listed at 210 pounds yet again, but his weight suddenly balooned to 229 pounds at the start of the 2006-07 season, a summer in which he committed himself to a very rigorous off-season strength training program.

Hockey players have often thrown a ton of weight onto their frames in the off-season. Like you, I would be surprised if Subban’s playing weight is 220 pounds, but adding 10 pounds of muscle in an off-season isn’t impossible for a guy who has nothing to do in the summer other than train, particularly when he can afford all the personal training in the world.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your post brings up an interesting point that some people miss, which is that young men will naturally fill out as they enter adulthood. When a player is drafted at eighteen, he probably won’t grow much if at all, but he will fill out in the vast majority of cases. It gets tedious when scouting reports invariably mention that a seventeen year old kid needs to get bigger and stronger to compete in the pros. Can we accept that as a given for everyone and move on? Yeah Jarred Tinordi is skinny, but he’s 18. His dad was a big dude, so he’ll be fine.

I didn’t know about Alex Kovalev’s weight and training progression, and it’s interesting to say the least. As I disclaimed, what I’m referring to is accepted knowledge from the eighties and nineties, maybe modern training methods and nutrition have superseded that.

If I do remember correctly, the studies that were cited used already-trained individuals. In Alex’s case, maybe he ignored that aspect of his fitness, and when he started training with resistance exercise and a coach, he unlocked his dormant genetic potential with the right program and nutrition. Good for him, and maybe we can hook up Danny Kristo with his trainer.

• Chris says:

Bourque would indeed be an excellent defenceman to model his game after. Mobile, intelligent but strong enough to do what he needed to in the defensive zone, Bourque would be a fantastic model for any defenceman with a similar build to Subban’s.

What do you think of Yannick Weber? When I look at him, I see another guy that can probably throw on some solid muscle without losing his speed or mobility. He just looks like a guy that could easily carry a 205 (and maybe even 210) pound frame in the NHL. He’s listed as 5’11″ and 193 pounds now on the Canadiens website, but I think most would agree he is closer to 5’10″. Still, he’s got that stocky frame that suggest the possibility of power and strength, particularly in his legs, if he dedicates himself hard to his off-ice training.

I still have hopes for Yannick Weber’s development, even though is now 23 years old. I think he is one of those guys that might just find his stride in his mid-20′s and become a very effective NHL defenceman. It might not be in Montreal, however, due to the glut of defencemen the team has coming through right now.

• Bripro says:

Perhaps it’s just me, but I find that Weber looked lost out there last year. I realize that his being victim of a constant juggling act didn’t help, but he needs to impose himself more.
        And you’re right. He doesn’t look 5’11″ .

• Chris says:

Getting yanked around from forward to defence, sitting on the bench when he made mistakes and just generally having his development stalled did not help Weber at all last season.

But I did think he has been a reasonably effective defenceman at times throughout his brief Montreal career. What he needs is to be partnered with a strong, stay-at-home defenceman.

I would be interested to see what a pairing of Gorges and Weber could do. That would move Gorges back to his natural left side, and he could be a defensive rock the way he (and Gill previously) were for Subban.

Subban is at the point where he should be able to carry a defence tandem without being protected by the team’s best defensive defenceman. With so many kids to come up over the next couple of years, I suspect that Gorges’ role will be to help develop the kids, a role that he seems to excel at.

• commandant says:

I agree Weber might be an effective NHL defenceman, but I see his role on this team as redundant.

On the right side we have Subban. We don’t need to get into him… he’s a stud.

Then we have Weber and Diaz.

Now, I don’t think a team can play Subban, Weber, and Diaz as their 3 RHD all at the same time. Subban is an effective puck mover and there is no need to have 3 puck movers all at RD.

Weber and Diaz are very similar (undersized, puck movers) but Diaz in my mind is a better defenceman.

Add to that Markov and Kaberle on the left side.

And you’ve got redundancy here. You’ve got too many defencemen who fit the same profile. (sure some are better than others).

So you should take one of these pieces, where you have a glut. And puck moving defence is definitely a glut (and well stocked in the minors as well… (Beaulieu, Ellis (two-way), thrower, Dietz, Bennett, Nash. ) and move him for something we need.

Adding a goalie prospect or a prospect at LW, or yet another draft pick for Timmins to work with, would be more advantageous than having Yannick Weber as the team’s 8th defenceman IMO. And the fact that he’s not waiver eligible creates a problem.

Also Chris, I love your posts here…. If you’d ever thought about writing, let me know, I’d set you up with a weekly (or more often if you want) feature on my site in a second.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

Chris, I am one of Weber’s big supporters.

He showed great confidence when he first arrived, and playing for the Swiss on the international stage as well.

D-men at a young age need to be nurtured, developed, taught how to play the position. It is totally unhelpful and unacceptable to be throwing Weber up front to play 4th line minutes, and if we want to see the “old confident” Weber again, this has to stop.

It has gotten to the point where Weber’s years with the Habs have not improved his defensive game at all. Sure he can still fire one timers on the power play and he has the offensive tools of a mobile d-man. But I’m talking about defensive positioning and defensive decision making which have not developed because he simply has not played enough quality minutes as a d-man in a Habs uniform.

I think Weber can develop very similarly to the way another Hab d-man who has really blossomed in Dallas: Stephane Robidas. I know you agree because I believe you have posted this.

Define Weber’s role as a d-man in the Habs lineup.

Get Weber to add some muscle as you quite astutely point out it appears his body can handle.

Give Weber the quality ice time he needs to learn the position at the NHL level.

And let him run with it.

Just because Gauthier picked up Kaberle does that mean we have to keep him?

I would rather deal Kaberle for a draft pick and let Weber play.

• mrhabby says:

weber sucks..come on..

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed! His play sucked and his attitude sucked. Telling the press that he was a better player than some of his team mates. Cut bait with Weber.

• Chris says:

Agree whole-heartedly about Kaberle. I wasn’t against the move last season…the team was floundering and he could have been a spark.

But if the team could find a trade partner, I would much rather keep Weber. I saw a fair bit of him with Kitchener and he was so much more mature defensively than Subban was with Belleville.

Something went really wrong in Weber’s development cycle, and Robidas is an excellent example of how players can overcome a slow start to their career to become excellent defencemen.

I don’t think anybody ever saw Robidas becoming a stellar top-pairing defenceman that was solidly in the mix for a berth on Team Canada’s defence corps at the 2010 Olympics.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I dislike how he and Raphaël Diaz are dismissed at the ‘Tiny Tots’ or Swiss whatevers, it’s a personal attack on players who play hard and do their best. It’s also not applicable when you look at Yannick Weber, who may not be tall but is stocky, solid. Looking at the Brossard Olympics videos on the Canadiens’ website is instructive, you can see that Yannick is powerful and probably doesn’t neglect his physical conditioning.

I was happy last season that Roman Hamrlik wasn’t retained, I wanted his minutes to go to Alexei Emelin and Yannick Weber, but we got sidetracked with Chris Campoli and Tomas Kaberle. Let’s give the kids the icetime and coaching they need to fulfill their potential.

I hope that Mr. Kaberle does come to camp fit and ready to perform, to increase his trade value so that we can unload him for picks/prospects during the season.

• Cal says:

Dislike the term Tiny Tots or not; that is how they play. They should be on teams that can afford soft puck movers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Cal, I don’t disagree that we have a surfeit of puck movers, I think we’re all on the same page with that. I would just rather keep Yannick Weber with the bomb from the point, at his age he still has a lot of potential to develop. He’s not Shane O’Brien, but he does have a good skill set. If we move anyone, I’d rather trade Tomas Kaberle, who might have a higher trade value anyway if he comes into camp in shape like he’s threatening to.

31. V and Jim L

Thanks, both of you made me laugh out load (edit load?, who on earth laughs out load? I type like a raped ape) today.

Damn V that was funny, I hope PK switches to Chicken, beautiful!

Have a great day all!

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

32. Just noticed the new “Raise the Torch” theme on the Habs home page. Any idea what deep meaning this has as opposed to the “Rise Together” theme of last year?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• JF says:

I think the motto in the Canadiens’ locker room is “Be yours to hold it high” (from the poem “In Flanders Fields” – “With failing hands to you we pass the torch / Be yours to hold it high”).

• nunacanadien says:

In this case it would be lower the torch into the basement where the habs are now, thank you Gilette and Molson for taking a dynasty and making it into a sad pathetic team of too soft defense (minus Subban and Emelin but not Emelin’s face) and the equally pathetic overpaid forwards who can’t shoot the puck on the net, even the Taiwan Women’s Winter Hockey Olympic team shoots on the net more than Gionta,Gomez and sometimes Cole. Not to crap on Cole, but really, when you have mighty mites on your wings, even the best forward like Cole can be made to look bad.

33. HabsFanMTL says:

the details of the latest NHL’s proposal is on tsn’s page right now and it sounds to me from this proposal that the owners are making an honest attempt to get this season going after what i read from it, i seriously hope that the players accept this proposal or else i’m siding by the owners this time….

• Depends on how the HRR is arrived at. They are apparently not being above board with all of their revenue, so they offer a 50/50 split of a number that isn’t real. Just offering a split is something the players should be happy with, especially with the way the owners have been elevating their salaries, but I fear there are many other issues that remain to be resolved beyond the basic rev. split that may get in the way from about 2 and a 1/2 weeks from now. Cammy was his usual self when proclaiming players will do what they have to do to play whether it’s Europe or KHL.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

Sounds like the crux of the issue is definition of Hockey Revenues, as the NHLPA believes teams are not reporting all of their hockey related revenues. I posed the question before, should the players then also claim all of their endorsement deals as part of their split in the whole pie? I recognize this may sound like a stretch, but I would be curious as to what exactly are the revenues which the PA is asking to be claimed.

• Cal says:

HRR as I understand it:
        1. All tickets sold for hockey games.
        2. All parking and the concessions sold during those games.
        3. All internet, TV and radio revenue from all sources, meaning individual teams or league-wide coverage. (RDS has the deal with the Habs and also the NHL for french language TV rights with the NHL as a whole.)
        4. All paraphernalia sold with the NHL logo on it, from mugs to jerseys.
        5. The side deal with Master Card- those cards with NHL logos on them.

Does anyone know of any other stuff that can be considered HRR?

• savethepuck says:

I know they are not going to accept it, all I want is for them to not dismiss it and at least counter the proposal with the same basic points and different numbers. By doing this, I am confident the 2 sides will be able to go back and forth over the next 2 1/2 weeks getting a deal done before training camps start.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s your idea of how negotiations should be conducted? Take the first proposal that comes down the pipe, after one which every credible analyst described as insulting and a declaration of war?

I think what you should say and believe is that it’s a positive step in that it’s an offer that’s worth making a counter-offer on. Not one that is so good that you would side with the owners if the players should reject it.

———————————————————————–
      This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• HabsFanMTL says:

first of all thats not the first offer its the NHL’s second offer so read get your facts straight

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually, no. You read and get your facts straight.

“Take the first proposal that comes down the pipe, after one which every credible analyst described as insulting and a declaration of war?

34. Besides, this whole CBA thing is about money anyways. The players lost a year as did the owners so that they could both make lot’s more money. This whole revenue sharing thing is a little confusing to me anyways. If I ran a business and paid my employees very well, why would they then dip their fingers into my profits? They certainly wouldn’t fork over money if I made a loss? So sure, we all hate the billionaires for wanting to make a profit, but really? I put my foot in my mouth by paying people like Gomez $7 million a year and then I whine about it? It’s a contract not an at will employee. Seems to me this whole negotiation is a fairytale anyways since no company would want to agree with a 50/50 split and hold all the risk of losses, market downturns, extraordinary expenses and such. The NHLPA is lucky, very lucky to be even getting that on the table.
    If someone can comment, I’m unclear on how that rev. sharing works. If players get their salary, bonuses and such and the leagues split is 57%, at the end of the year, do players then get more money based on their salary as a percentage of the team revenue that they play for, with give backs for less profitable teams, or does this money go into an escrow account to be divied-up by NHLPA?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• HabsFanMTL says:

actually the owners are asking for a 50/50 split….read up on tsn.ca

• I know, but based on the current CBA, did that mean the player got his salary, bonus and an additional tithe from the rev. split? That is ludicrous IMO!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Un Canadien errant says:

No it doesn’t. Before dialing up the ludicrous metre, do some reading.

I know there are a lot of terms floating around out there, and it’s hard to keep them straight. Revenue sharing is used to describe the equalization payments made by rich teams to poor teams. Revenue split is a different term applied to describe how much of the revenues generated are paid out in salaries to players.

The revenue split means that when all the players’ salaries are added up and compared to Hockey Related Revenues for the season (ie: the money that comes in from fans buying tickets and jerseys and cable packages to watch them play), they would amount to 57% of HRR. If they don’t do so exactly, the money from the escrow account adjusts the players’ final salaries accordingly. So no matter how many ‘ludicrous’ Ilya Kovalchuk contracts the owners sign, the players will never make more or less than their 57% portion of HRR.

Bonus money and salary are the same thing, they’re considered salary under the salary cap and the 57% split. There is no voodoo slush fund that the owners “tithe” to the players on top of this.

———————————————————————–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Here’s some reading to try to clarify some of these issues.

The problem with your analogy of the small-business owner who is aggrieved by his well-paid employees asking for a cut of the profits is that it’s not a helpful representation of the situation in the NHL. Few are. Evgeni Malkin and Pavel Datsyuk aren’t Homer, Lenny and Carl, replaceable drones in Sector 7-G who must be employed to keep your power plant running, they are the power plant. They’re what you’re selling. They’re your product. Without Pavel and Evgeni, you have no business.

35. That isn’t reading between the lines, those are psychic abilities. The great habstrinifan will read your future now (cash only, no refunds!)

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

36. habstrinifan says:

The gift of being able to read between the lines is a very under-estimated, even overlooked, communication asset.

It is different from ‘body language’ which is also a great communication tool.

I draw your attention to a little post I made based on the published remarks of the principals heading into yesterday’s meetings. I dont think you woud have found anywhere, in the wide media, a more sanguine view than mine yesterday.

It certainly appears that my forecast was correct as optimism has blossomed that a deal is quite probable.

It is that same inventive reading between the lines I use when I post, only slightly tongue-in-cheek, that the difficulties in P.K.s contract negotiations hinge less on the inveiglement of salary offers from the HABS and more on the fear of P.K’s Mom that, without Gainey’s supportive presence, P.K will be increasingly viewed and treated as one of the Antichthones by the HABS.

I should teach you guys to read between the lines sometimes, for if you were as adept at it as I am, you would know that I am way ahead of you in what you are about to write in response to my post.

37. Rozz says:

So, a gentleman has come in to my club last night, nice guy. Turns out that he is the rep that gets all the bars in the area the jerseys for their different hockey, football, baseball etc. contests they run during the various seasons. I got to talking to this fella and he offered to get me some jerseys at quite a steal. now after some debating on whether to get a new Subban jersey along with a couple others… it dawned on me I had some subconscious hesitation due to all the hoopla I’ve been fed over the past few months via internet sport sites and random hockey blogs on whether that would be a smart move or not. now I have been nothing but a firm believer that Subban will sign here and be a Hab for a long time… but as I stopped to ponder “what if i buy this jersey and some fall out does unfold” … But, I caught myself! And I made a decision that I will NOT buy into all the Subban what if talk. Furthermore as a sign of my good faith in him, I have put in my order for his jersey and I believe that in doing so, I have (single handed mind you) assured that he will sign with the Habs by the time I receive my jersey! (10 days from ordering, or so I am told).

… yes, that is correct.. you read it right! When he signs, you will all know who to thank for it. And please no need to go crazy with cheering, clapping, and chanting my name… I’m just doing my part for the team.

:D

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

Given the club you work at Rozz, I would only expect you to do such a thing “single handed” ;-) Atta keep the faith in PK, I am of the same belief. Cheers Rozz!

• habstrinifan says:

I don’t get what you are implying about Rozz sir. Maybe I am not as good at reading between the lines as I thought.

• Rozz says:

I just woke up so maybe I am falling victim myself and am failing to pick up the sarcasm in your reply… but if it helps, I DJ at a strip club so the joke he made was well done in my opinion :)

Mark Twain.

• Rozz says:

Oh, you with the quick wit! :D lmao … but its just like the song says “Don’t stop Believing!”

Mark Twain.

38. savethepuck says:

IMO today may be the most important day in the new CBA negotiations. Is the NHLPA going to dismiss this new proposal by the NHL, or are they going to counter it. I am just hoping that maybe this new proposal has enough points in it that both sides may be getting closer to a common ground so they can start countering back and forth the figures to finally work out an agreement. My fingers are crossed that we may start seeing some give and take by both sides.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Cal says:

The NHLPA will come out with “strong” (I can smell them from here) reasons to not accept the offer. I may be wrong but neither side will actually bend until 48 to 24 hours before the deadline. I’d love to be wrong, but Beavis and Butthead’s egos are too large to admit any concessions.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Probably. If the sides make small steps toward each other and meet somewhere in the middle (and I don’t mean exactly in the middle, the owners have a lot more room to move from their initial offer, whereas the players presented a reasonable first proposal) as the clock is winding down, that’s not a bad thing, that would be a successful negotiation.

39. habstrinifan says:

@HabinBurlingto. Remember the short back-n-forth we had re a post I made about the link to P.K’s video. I think my point has been proven again.

Morning everyone, well I gotta admit it was weird turning the BBQ on at 630 this morning, but I did love my steak! Personally the more red meat the better for me!

Hmmmm now what to have for lunch, maybe a roast beef sandwich.

41. smiler2729 says:

No contract for PK until the CBA is resolved maybe, I dunno.

Gary Bettman is a human bobblehead.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

42. rhino514 says:

Steak for breakfast? Steak for lunch? Optional steak for dinner?
    Any personal trainer/ guru who advocates steak loses credibility right away. Here are the reasons:
    1) Chicken breast, and other fowl are much higher quality protein foods than beef. Fish is, as well, but must be chosen carefully due to potentially high mercury content. Norwegian salmon and cod represent the optimum combination of high quality/ risk free seafood. Eggs are also much preferable to red meat, with a much higher protein quality.
    2) Excessive eating of red meat is linked to the exacerbation of a long list of health conditions -even lean red meat. In PK´s case, this can have implications 15-20 years down the road.
    3) Red meat consumption incredibly exacerbates CO2 contamination in the atmosphere. The atmospheric waste generated by one cow destined for human consumption is enormous. Additionally, The grains fed these cows would be more than enough to eradicate world hunger.

PK is putting on muscle because, at his age, if you work out a lot and eat lots of protein, you put on muscle. I did it. You sure don´t need to eat steak for breakfast and lunch to do it. The weight training, additionally, seems to include little hockey-movement specific training (in contrast to Gary Roberts training concept). His trainer is just a gym guy, and has no hockey related experience.
    I can see PK getting stronger in the corners because of the added muscle, but I am worried his outstanding speed will suffer.
    Does anyone remember those PK rushes when he first stormed into the league? It seems that the entire league, with its small rinks and lack of open space, is made to promote physicality and grittiness over pure skill. There are few Dmen in the league who can move like PK, and PK himself probably won´t be able to move like PK anymore. No one will really care because he will be a bit tougher in his own end, and most of those rushes never resulted in direct goals. He may be tougher and only lose a bit of speed, or he may lose alot of speed and agility and be only marginally tougher. Not sure which, but the type of training and regimen does not inspire confidence to me.
    We will continue to have a multitude of 2-1 hockey games end endure games with no open ice and reminisce guys like Lafleur streaking down the wing. Guys like subban will turn into human walls and we will wonder what happened to the 21 year old gunslinger who could change the tempo of the3 game with one shift. The game will eventually be about as exciting to watch as baseball.But we´ll be tougher. Hey, after all, we´ve got Armstrong and Prust!

• V says:

And because the game is less exciting to watch, attendence and viewership drops dramatically and millions of adreneline fueled males are let loose on society. Significantly increased violence eventually leads to a 50 year global war. The ensuing nuclear holocaust completely eradicates planetary life as we know it.

Damn, I hope PK switches to chicken. :)

• pmaraw says:

seems to me like he wants to have his steak and eat it to

• JUST ME says:

You make valid points but i do not think we should worry about his weight gain. For a kid this age, cause he is a kid,it is necessary to do so just to strenghten the body structure.

We tend to forget that P.K. had to play many roles that were not his last year. He had to be number one D,number 2 D,PP weapon,and so on and so on. This is the main problem he had to deal with last season. P.k is giving 100 % effort 100 % of the time. He had to do everything,be everywhere and take all the blame ! So if the D squad is complete he will get to concentrate more on his part of the game.

If he does get to play his own role with a normal average playing time he then will be able to use all his talent to better use.Yes his speed spurs are remarquable but i do not think he will lose them ,he will get to use it better in the right situations . Being a D-man and being a P.K… i think his physical play is a bigger asset than his speed in a day to day priority. He gets to be involved in so many more situations as a D man when he has to use his body and strenght that this is the aspect of his game that he needed to work on.

I do not worry about his refreshing way of using his speed to get across the ice and deep in the opponent`s zone. He has a natural talent for this that is not given to everyone and still will remain a threath. As his role became more precise last season he got to use that weapon of his less and less but with much more efficiency.

• HabsFanMTL says:

not to mention eating all that red meat and protein 3 times a day in the long run is very hard on the liver and kidneys……hell he may as well be taking steriods

There is something ironic about hearing a guy named Rhino condemning the eating of Red Meat! :)

Interesting points you made, didn’t really think of it that way. Have always been a fan however, of how Gary Roberts seems to train his players, especially given how he applied these principles to extend his career when many doctors thought he was done.

• John Q Public says:

Vegetable protein is the way to go. PG was right.
      If you eat beef it should be grass fed not grain(GMO) fed.
      As for world hunger it’s the way the want it to be.
      There is more than enough for everyone.

• mrhabby says:

Michael Phelps did allright with his diet and it included red meat.

43. AceMagnum says:

OH FER FUXSAKE!!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

44. Marc10 says:

I’ll agree with Mario Tremblay’s op/ed on 98.5 about Subban likely carrying too much weight on his frame.

He was very strong on the puck at 202-206. Does he really need to bulk up to 220lbs on 6ft frame to do what he does best? His strongest assets are his speed and mobility. Why do anything to change that when you’re already world-class in that department?

Hmmm… Not sold on PK’s bulk up.

45. Un Canadien errant says:

(Initial comment retracted).

Gary Bettman annoys me personally. He’s arrogant and deceitful, and while he may serve the owners well with these personal traits, he’s not worthy of being the Commissioner of the game I grew up with and love.

He characterizes his ‘new offer’ as “significant” and that it shows “meaningful movement”.

He’s the mugger who sticks a gun in your ribs and says give me all your money. He then thinks better of it, and now asks only half of your money, a significant reduction and now much more palatable demand in his view, and is puzzled that the rest of the world doesn’t see it that way.

Mike Cammalleri has it right in his comments from the BioSteel camp. If the players had started the bargaining process by requesting 70% of HRR, and now brought their demands down to 66%, they could also say they made meaningful movement.

If you start from a ludicrous premise, moving off from that initial position isn’t a reasonable move, it’s the only move that’s not insane and insulting. You don’t get kudos for being un-insane.

———————————————————————–

• habsfan0 says:

I take it then,that you believe the NHLPA will respond to this latest offer with a “No, thank you”?

• Rozz says:

Why I must say, what an astute observation UCE!
      … as I’ve stated before, I often see his face and it instantly incites a very “punchy” kinda feeling within … problem is its normally the TV that takes the brunt of the aggression.. just one time I wish it was actually his face .. poor TV’s…

Mark Twain.

• V says:

I think it’s a good move.

The owner’s can now say they moved substantially from their original position in order to save the season and if the players don’t make significant movement from their current position it will eventually begin to reduce their public support… one thing they have worked hard to maintain.

• 24 Cups says:

UCe – Your constant hatred for Bettman is starting to wear thin.

The ongoing CBA negotiations is a classic cat and mouse game. Plain and simple.

• HardHabits says:

You never said that about my Tanking™ strategy.

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – That’s because you stole part of the tanking concept from me.

You’re a bright guy with a very sharp mind. Your only drawback is your poor memory:-)

I look forward to seeing you in Montreal during the Summit weekend. I believe the next round at Hurleys is on you.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re probably right, I overstated what I should have said. I shouldn’t have implied that directing violence at someone would somehow be justified. I let my inner Joad Cressbeckler get the better of me.

I’ll retract that comment.

Gary Bettman gets to me because he’s not a hockey fan, his mannerisms are condescending, and he’s routinely dishonest in his statements to the fans and the press. He regularly insults my intelligence with his pronouncements.

• Cal says:

As a counterpoint, I’d love to see an Expos fan hit Fehr with 44 ounce Louisville Slugger.

46. kempie says:

If I’m Bergevin, I doubt I’d be in a big rush to sign PKS until I know there’s going to be a season and, when there is a season, exactly what the rules will be. Crazy, I know.

Tsn with the reported NHL offer tabled today.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s the next logical step and a positive sign that something may still happen before Sept 15th.

Fehr and the players now must decide what they are willing to give up in order to find some middle ground.

Both sides still have major cards that they can play in order to reach an agreement by the deadline.

48. frontenac1 says:

So PK is getting Jacked? Hope he ragdolls Marchand in Beantown this year.

49. JohnBellyful says:

CHEEKTOWAGA – Just as many feared, the NHL and players’ union are resorting to attack ads to win the hearts and minds of hockey fans.
    The NHLPA was first off a mark with a one-minute ad showing a curly-haired young boy in pajamas seated in front of a TV counting down to the start of his beloved Hockey Night in Canada: “Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four” – at which point an rodent-sounding adult voice takes over – “three, two, ONE!”
    A thunderous blast fills the screen, followed by a gigantic mushroom-shaped cloud of soil and dust rising into the atmosphere, obliterating the shards of the HNIC logo.
    The screen goes dark, and a different voice, the voice of reason, sounding very much like Don Fehr, intones: “These are the stakes, to sign a contract that’s fair to all players or watch the arenas go dark. We must either learn to respect each other, or the games will die.”
    “Support the players’ union. The stakes are too high for you to remain on the sidelines.”
    The explosion was filmed in Phoenix, Arizona.
    The NHL has countered with its own inflammatory ad, featuring notorious goon Willie Martin.
    Most of the 65-second clip is taken up with showing Martin, who has led the league in penalty minutes and fighting majors four years in a row, sitting on the bench, slouched, his arms folded on his legs.
    In the final 25 seconds, the clip cuts to Martin’s famous brawl with Harley Wannamaker, a fight that lasted 10 minutes, and resulted in both men breaking each other’s nose, knocking out several teeth and ending up unconscious on the ice, their sweaters stained with blood.
    The clip concludes by returning to scene of a disinterested Martin sitting on the bench.
    The audio provides the context: “NHL owners want to bring costs under control to keep hockey healthy, even if it means propping up weaker teams in certain cities, until the sport gains a foothold in the community. They can’t do that without the support of the players but their union has different ideas. Bottom line: Players like Willie Martin will continue to get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, to sit on the bench and do nothing, except beat up a guy now and then. The owners don’t think that’s right and they’re prepared to lock out the union to restore some sanity to the collective bargaining agreement.”
    Voice of NHL commissioner Gary Bettman: “We’re paying the players more than we should.”
    The clip ends with this message, white lettering on black backdrop:
    “Willie Martin: Does a two-bit thug deserve a million dollars a year? No. It’s a crime. And the way to end it is with a deal that makes sense. You, the fans, be the judge.”
    Insiders say the ads will become even more aggressive. An NHLPA commercial
    reportedly shows Bettman clubbing to death a baby seal wearing a Canadiens’ jersey and the league has compiled a bunch of YouTube videos of Bruins players acting in character, with cameos by Patrick Kane, the Staal brothers and others behaving outrageously.

Nice to see HI/O stirring the PK pot, nary a mention of the comparable RFA dmen in the same boat. Ahhh so nice to see the media providing its best efforts!

• JohnBellyful says:

I’m thinkin’, if PK hadn’t bulked up he would have had a contract by now.
      (Or am I wrong in thinking there’s a connection? The headline has me wondering.)

51. 2habs3 says:

TO: habsfan0
    If you ever can afford a Habs home game and see your name on the 100 year player plaque outside the Centre———-you can refer to me as “persona non grata”

52. boing007 says:

Just heard a clip of Bettman saying that they had a meaningful movement.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

53. 2habs3 says:

I find it REALLY REALLY funny how Laraque was dismissed———–they can’t sign PK for so long???????? ANNNNNNND they had a shot at his brother goalie who has 1000% more potential than sieve Price.
    I must be color blind.

54. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

My God, have the Republicans ever gotten stupid lately!

55. boing007 says:

PK for Yak. C’est dans le sac.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

56. ProHabs says:

I get the feeling something is up with PK. I think he wants to go play with his brother in Boston. If Bergy doesn’t sign him before the lockout, PK might sign in Europe without an out clause. Even if the lockout ends , he will spend the whole year over there.

57. novahab says:

It is this simple. If we lose Subban, MB your gone to.

58. punkster says:

Just what we needed…an article of recycled info guaranteed to crank up the panic meter.

This place is, indeed, a real Nutville.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

59. habs-fan-84 says:

really hope MB doesn’t fumble the ball on Subban. Not suggesting he is just hope he is a Hab for a long time.

60. jo_maka says:

So we had 4 prospects at the last Memorial Cup…..and now 3 at the Rookie Showcase……,lookin’ good !!!

61. habstrinifan says:

Might be just me but for some reason Subban doesn’t look as good in a HABS uniform anymore.

I dont know what it is, but there’s a lot of things that come into play for a player to look comfortable in a uniform.

Maybe he’s just gotten too big for his britches? Lemme see what MT thinks!

62. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

did I mention that I HAAATTEE contract holdouts?

63. Chris says:

Having been away for an extended weekend in Prince Edward County (lovely down there!), I see that Lance Armstrong was stripped of his Tour de France victories after he gave up fighting the US anti-doping agency. What gets me in this is how many media folk and even fans talk about how any unethical actions he might have done during his career are excusable because of what he has done for cancer.

Negative. If he was a cheat (and there has always been a crazy amount of smoke around his career), he was a cheat. People should not sugar coat it or excuse it because of his other actions, regardless of how noble they might have been.

I put it to one of my work colleagues as follows…

Armstrong was a cancer survivor who, despite the loss of one of his testicles, won seven consecutive Tour de France races (one of the most grueling sporting events in the world where cyclists typically race for 21 days and cover in excess of 3000 kms over that time period) demonstrating that cancer survivors can achieve great things. Since 1998, Armstrong’s foundation Livestrong has raised over $470 million, with most of that money being spent on education programs, advocacy and policy.

Terry Fox was a cancer survivor who, despite the loss of one of his legs, ran 5,373 km over 143 days before having his run ended by the return of cancer to his body, a condition that would ultimately end his life one year later. Fox showed the world that a cancer survivor can do extraordinary things despite having been dealt a cruel blow, and his legacy is the annual Terry Fox Run that has now raised over $600 million, with the vast majority of that money going directly to cancer research, targeting research that significantly improves the treatment outcomes for cancer patients.

If guilty, I refuse to absolve Armstrong of guilt for cheating, despite his work for cancer. I think many people consider him a hero for demonstrating what cancer survivors can do. I didn’t need another hero to teach me that lesson…Terry Fox was quite enough. I consider myself tremendously fortunate to have seen Terry Fox run through Madoc, Ontario in the summer of 1980, one of my earliest memories. I wish it was more than the foggy recollection of a very young child, but I do remember seeing that familiar gait as he ran.

For me, no individual in Canadian history has a greater legacy than Terry Fox. I’m not one of those people that believes we can ever cure cancer. We can’t…it is as natural to the human condition as death. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t cure or treat many forms of cancer, particularly those that afflict our young.

The cancer that claimed Terry Fox’s leg, osteosarcoma, had a 15% survivability rate two years before his own diagnosis. Rapid advances in treatment of that particular cancer that frequently struck young people had already raised the survivability to approximately 50%. By 2009, the survival rate was up to 69%. More importantly, amputation is no longer the treatment method of choice for leg cancers like Fox suffered, which has dramatically improved the quality of life for the individuals who do survive the cancer.

I see posters on this website frequently questioning what they will do if the NHL locks out the players on September 15. Let me offer up this idea…take part in your local Terry Fox Run, which is being conducted on Sunday, September 16th this year.

Make it a family event. If you have children, take them to an event that commemorates the amazing willpower and strength of perhaps the greatest Canadian that ever lived. Go walk, rollerblade, bike, skip or run the route and join in with your fellow Canadians (and, happily, people around the world as the Terry Fox Run grows world-wide!) and demonstrate the power of community as we fight to improve the treatment and living conditions of those members of our society that have been dealt an unfair hand.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Post of the decade.

• Bripro says:

Great read, Chris.

• Habilis says:

+ 1 billion

• JohnBellyful says:

Fantastic idea!
      (I also saw Terry Fox as he ran on Hwy 7 between Marmora and Havelock, and attended the dinner the local legion held in his honour. He set a lasting example of what it is to commit to a cause.)

• Chris says:

That’s pretty crazy that we both saw him not too far apart 32 years ago. What a small world this is, sometimes.

When I was a kid, my dad used to take us to the old open-pit Marmora Mine. I always loved the colour of the water that fills the bottom of that mine!

• habsfan0 says:

Terry Fox, a GENUINE Canadian hero.

I’d love to see his image on the new $20 bill coming out later this year, rather than that of the Queen or another politician.

• citizenSanto says:

Chris has tested positive for intelligence, refinement, and class.

—————————————
      Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

• boing007 says:

Terry Fox was at the top of my list as The Greatest Canadian. He deserved a better fate.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Chris says:

I voted for Terry Fox as well, although I also nominated Andrew Mynarksi, the Victoria Cross winner whose heroic attempt to save his fellow crewman in a burning Lancaster bomber ultimately cost him his life. Fox was my first choice, but I felt that Mynarksi was equally deserving of recognition for one of the most selfless acts I have ever encountered.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I ran a Terry Fox Run in Bali Indonesia in the early 1990s, just to let You know the Terry Fox Run has long been not a ‘Canadian-only thing’

_________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• Chris says:

No question…the Run is now occurring in many countries around the world, in many cases being organized by Canadian ex-pats.

It is absolutely wonderful to see!

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

great post

64. awesomerino says:

I’ve seen PK at Bocadillo’s on St. Laurent a few times this summer, eating literal mountains of chicken and beef for lunch. He’s enormous.

65. If the Habs don’t sign PK long term by September 15 they are taking a risk…the new CBA could have all kinds of restrictions on long term contracts. All the other teams are frantically signing their stars before the CBA expires.

I’m sure the Habs will end up signing PK…the only question is are they better off doing it before or after September 15?

What if the compensation amount changes under the new CBA and it becomes easier to sign restricted free agents?

bergevin is taking a big risk if he doesn’t sign Subban very soon.

Telio
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• Cal says:

It’s all about the right deal at the right price. MB needs cap space to be flexible enough to pull the trigger if and when there is a season. Meehan wants his player to get as much as possible, so he can collect as much as possible. We here have to relax and wait on it. Creating panic over a contract does no one any good.

• Chris says:

I doubt that Bergevin is taking all that much of a risk, and he can’t sign Subban to a long-term deal that Subban doesn’t want to sign.

Subban is cocky and knows he has all the potential in the world to be a big star. People always assume that Bergevin is the one holding up negotiations, but what if it is actually Subban?

The new CBA might put restrictions on long term contracts, but that is hardly cause for panic. If Subban is entertaining thoughts of potentially leaving Montreal, he won’t be interesting in signing for 10 years unless it is for ludicrous money.

Nicklas Lidstrom routinely signed 2- and 3-year contracts despite being basically the best hockey player of his generation. If he can do it and still stay with the same team for a 20-year career (although he WAS close to going back to Sweden in 1998, before he won any Norris Trophies, so that his kids could grow up in Sweden), I’m sure Subban will be alright as well.

We always hear that Subban LOVES being a Montreal Canadien. If that is really true, he’ll be here for the long haul. A 2-year deal would not be the end of the world, as it would mean bigger money on his next deal, which would be his last contract as an RFA before he hits the big money days of unrestricted free agency.

• 24 Cups says:

teliopost – I think you may be misreading any new potential provisions that might concern RFAs. Hell will freeze over before the owners allow that to happen.

The second contract unjustified wage bonanza is about to end.

• 24 cups: If you are correct then I have nothing to worry about. However, that also means that many other GM’s made mistakes in rushing to sign their players prior to Sept. 15…

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
        Twitter: @teliopost

• 24 Cups says:

Exactly. One of the main reasons the present CBA is dysfunctional is because the owners and GMs exploited the loop holes that were in it. The agents may have played a role in it, too, but it’s basically management that screwed up. All in an effort to get the upper hand on each other.

I still hope that we can sign Subban to a short-term deal. The pros outweigh the cons.

66. joshbenn says:

Second, does anyone know where I can collect my prize?

This situation will be worked out – probably by reaching a two year deal.

Price and MaxPac waited and Subban should have to do the same. He has off the charts talent but also has had a few hiccups during the past two years.

As stated before, his contract is in a holding pattern just like other young Dmen such as Del Zotto, Carlson and Kulikov. Montreal would be crazy to give him a long term deal with an impending lockout just 2 1/2 weeks away.

No need to worry – Subban is still our 2nd best building block.

• Propwash says:

Panicking is much more entertaining though!

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.