Spotlight shines on Canadiens all-star Markov

Canadiens’ Andrei Markov, photographed with blue-line partner Mike Komisarek (8), is taking part in his first All-Star Game this weekend.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

He’s one of the least-known superstars in the National Hockey League. But this season, fans across the league took a hard look at the statistics, and probably his worth to the Canadiens, and voted defenceman Andrei Markov to his first NHL all-star team – as a starter.

The 29-year-old Russian came to training camp last September on the heels of having signed a four-year, $23-million contract in May that made him the richest Canadien of all time, and shortly after the departure of fellow defenceman Sheldon Souray, who carried the Habs power play to greatness last season.

But Markov has responded brilliantly to the challenges before him, and is on pace to enjoy a career-best season. This weekend’s All-Star Game festivities are tangible recognition of what he brings to the ice and the Canadiens dressing room now.

The quiet Markov spent a half-hour this week with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs to chat for this feature story.

And Markov was accorded this huge praise by his blue-line partner Mike Komisarek, who coincidentally (or not) is having a terrific season of his own.

1. Scotty90 says:

I know…. its hard to improve on PERFECTION!

2. Shobud says:

Ian
    Did you ever hang around any rinks in NDG I was a rink rat there for years and I knew an Ian that lived for hockey Just a far out chance its you

3. Ian G Cobb says:

I read this site from top to bottom and all the THreads ( that is teck talk ya know) so keep posting every one. Between all you people, Webster, who stays right beside me here, and my loving, patient and encouraging LADY Andree, I learn to read and write new and bigger words every day. As you can see there are a lot of 5and6 letter words. But i get very exited when i learn to pronounce a new one, and try to use it in a posting.

So keep them comming.

4. Boomer93 says:

Hey Ian
    reading your story is very inspiring and I’m glad your life turned around thanks in part to this club.
    I enjoy reading your posts although I don’t post much I read a lot of the posts on this site and yours are a joy to read. Keep up the good work!

5. Ryan says:

Wow that was fast, haha, ya I just tried editing before you replied but it wasn’t working.

6. Ryan says:

Isn’t it weird to talk about how great our defence is right now after coming off last year, and it’s not slowing down anytime soon.

Coming up we’ve got; Weber, McDonaugh, Valentenko, Emelin, Subban, Fischer(if he pans out still), and young guys like Gorges and O’byrne still up with the club. Having these guys come up playing with the veterans like Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek(plays like a vet already) in the next few years will be great.

7. ebk says:

Alex Kovalev…but he liked it so much in Montreal he decide to stay. That and they offered him the best contract!

Teach (again!) – What can we say about Brisebois that hasn’t already been said? I don’t see him in the same dark light as some posters do but I also feel that he came back this year as strictly an insurance policy. He would play if there were injuries or if a young guy wasn’t quite ready to make the jump to the NHL. Well the depth chart has six guys in front of him and O’Byrne is still on the injury list. So in my books, that makes Brisebois #8. Fine, we don’t know what is ahead of us injury wise so it’s great to have him around as a replacement. But if everybody is healthy, then I really can’t see him playing that much. How are Gorges and O’Byrne going to improve (and how will we evaluate them) if they are on the bench? If this season is about learning and gaining experience for a Cup run in the future, then these two young guys must play. Friendship and past accomplishments should not overrule what is best for the team.

The Original 24 Cups

9. Chuck says:

Ian, you are truly an inspiration!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

10. Ian G Cobb says:

Showey-I was taken off the streets at 14 by this hockey club over 50 years ago. I owe them and the molson corporation who and what i am today, and the most fantastic person was Danny Gallivan who taught a dyslectic kid a vocabulary is learned one word at a time. So i learned how to talk very well my whole life and no one knew, not even my wife that i could not even write my name. I learned work ethics and corporate manerism and it carried the day.
    I have been very successfull in the corporate world, but my
    home was any rink in north america, and i have been in thousands.

Now i’m retired and i have discovered a way to communicate by reading and writting on this site, all of you here are like family to me, you have no idea what this means to me. I have been hiding this fact for 60 years. And now i shout my story about what this hockey team means to me. Ian

11. ebk says:

you could be right

12. The Teacher says:

more? when have we ever had an old rent-a-player? lol

13. ColRouléBleu says:

Yay! thanks for the publicity for my clip ;)

Even in a feature topic, during the All Star weekend, him being the only Habs representative in Atlanta and considering the great season he has so far, only a handful of posters are actually talking about him. Markov is REALLY low profile eh? :P

It’s OK, I can see how saying ‘he’s great’ can become boring at some point.

“We want to play against a team, not a building.” ~ Guy Carbonneau

14. The Teacher says:

Exactly, the cost will probably be prohibitive, so I don’t see Gainey doing anything.

I think Brisebois will be out sixth D, unfortunately, so that will do something to the mix when we have all of our D back healthy.

Who sits?

Kind of a repeat of the forward situation, but! I won’t mind if they came up with the same results the next time around either ;)

15. likehoy says:

if you have nothing to do…check thsi video on andrei markov in relation to spiderman…it’s hilarious!

16. nightmare_49 says:

What is this a contest : Higgins next captain , Chipchura next captain , Komi next captain and why don’t we bring back Mike Keane (whose still playing) to get his due. Saku’s our captain and will be thru our great run which is only starting. Lets put the captain thing to rest it’s so cournoyish.

Ian – thanks for your update. As I mentioned before, I’m also impressed with the difference between our GF and GA (+18, thanks Boston!) which is about 5th best in the league. It’s all about little steps.

The Original 24 Cups