Spotlight shines on Canadiens all-star Markov

Canadiens’ Andrei Markov, photographed with blue-line partner Mike Komisarek (8), is taking part in his first All-Star Game this weekend.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

He’s one of the least-known superstars in the National Hockey League. But this season, fans across the league took a hard look at the statistics, and probably his worth to the Canadiens, and voted defenceman Andrei Markov to his first NHL all-star team – as a starter.

The 29-year-old Russian came to training camp last September on the heels of having signed a four-year, $23-million contract in May that made him the richest Canadien of all time, and shortly after the departure of fellow defenceman Sheldon Souray, who carried the Habs power play to greatness last season.

But Markov has responded brilliantly to the challenges before him, and is on pace to enjoy a career-best season. This weekend’s All-Star Game festivities are tangible recognition of what he brings to the ice and the Canadiens dressing room now.

The quiet Markov spent a half-hour this week with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs to chat for this feature story.

And Markov was accorded this huge praise by his blue-line partner Mike Komisarek, who coincidentally (or not) is having a terrific season of his own.

1. Scotty90 says:

I know…. its hard to improve on PERFECTION!

2. filincal says:

my guess is they don’t want to make bad moves like your bruins did. Ouch!!!that Thorton trade is still hurtin ya, huh?
    RATTLE THAT!

3. WindsorHab-10 says:

Thanks buddy, that sent chills down my spine. One word to describe it. Priceless.

4. habsgod says:

every team that makes the playoffs or wants to make the playoffs and go on a bit of a run!!!needs to add something!!and improve there team!!but as an unfactrattler you are to stupid to realize this because your make me laffs need a total gutting and a rebuild that’s how you get good!!idiot !go away!!don’t come back!!go on your make me laffs site and dream about trading sundin for phaneuf and others !!this site is for habs fans not goofs like you that come on here and bring up all this facts crap……..it’s rediculus garabage…….. .that is hogwash!! and stuff you are completely wasting our time with and and don’t have a clue of what you are talking about!!!go away little troll!!here’s a fact your an idiot!!

5. linp says:

We true Habs fans are posting constructive criticisms. We want our team to improve. Read your posts carefully and tell us your constructive ideas.

6. Edwardo says:

Maybe the fans aren’t as delusional as you seem to think.
    This may stem from the fact that you cannot decipher between a tongue in cheek comment and an actual opinion.

7. HKisses says:

Hey Habbers, beware Of counterfeit tickets ….Ull like this one….

8. hhl says:

and you have a divine right to do so.your story is so inspirational.you know as a familly member, part of me wants to kick you for holding back 60 years (lol).but its all good.instead keep shouting, the rest of us r listening.

9. hhl says:

goes to show how important face offs r. with detroit in first.

10. RudeMood19 says:

By the way, this video will make any Hab fan feel good

11. RudeMood19 says:

wow, we could have had a handful of guys who were more capable than some of the players in the young stars game

12. Shobud says:

Ian
    Did you ever hang around any rinks in NDG I was a rink rat there for years and I knew an Ian that lived for hockey Just a far out chance its you

13. Ian G Cobb says:

I read this site from top to bottom and all the THreads ( that is teck talk ya know) so keep posting every one. Between all you people, Webster, who stays right beside me here, and my loving, patient and encouraging LADY Andree, I learn to read and write new and bigger words every day. As you can see there are a lot of 5and6 letter words. But i get very exited when i learn to pronounce a new one, and try to use it in a posting.

So keep them comming.

14. Boomer93 says:

Hey Ian
    reading your story is very inspiring and I’m glad your life turned around thanks in part to this club.
    I enjoy reading your posts although I don’t post much I read a lot of the posts on this site and yours are a joy to read. Keep up the good work!

15. Ryan says:

Wow that was fast, haha, ya I just tried editing before you replied but it wasn’t working.

16. Ryan says:

Isn’t it weird to talk about how great our defence is right now after coming off last year, and it’s not slowing down anytime soon.

Coming up we’ve got; Weber, McDonaugh, Valentenko, Emelin, Subban, Fischer(if he pans out still), and young guys like Gorges and O’byrne still up with the club. Having these guys come up playing with the veterans like Markov, Hamrlik and Komisarek(plays like a vet already) in the next few years will be great.

17. ebk says:

Alex Kovalev…but he liked it so much in Montreal he decide to stay. That and they offered him the best contract!