Spector’s Top 10

Lyle Richardson, who blogs as Spector and knows his stuff, picks his All-Time Top Ten Canadiens

Guess who’s number one?

•  •  •

Good news from this morning’s practice:

AK46 was back in gear, with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Kovalev.

The third line against Carolina tomorrow night will be Robert Lang between SK74 and Christopher Higgins.

The Koivu line remains intact, and Guy Carbonneau will chose his fourth line from among Maxim Lapierre, Mathieu Dandenault, Steve Bégin and Georges Laraque.

1. Robert L says:

Nice stat Teach!

DD, thanks for pointing out that Provost and Richard went like fingers on a hand. You saved me alot of typing!

Let’s settle it all up this way – there’s 15 players in the Habs all time Top 10! Two each tied for places 6 to 10.

2. xaverian001 says:

Funny how Carbo quipped that Ryder should give half his new contract to Julien … I’m thinking Breezer owes a good chunk of his contract to Carbo!!!

3. jimbo says:

top 3 on our team behind only Laps and Higgins

4. Bradlo says:

Dandi.. pure speed? Maybe in his prime but I dont think so anymore.

The 4th line is definitely a tough situation. I think playing Laraque depends on the team. If its a rough team, play him. If not, I think we should try to use our speed.

Against Carolina… Kostop – Lapps – Begin

5. Number31 says:

Doesn’t matter to me if they bow out mid-way through the playoffs but no point in thinking about it now. All I know is I smell a funtastic year ahead. Besides, there’s still one more season to this cup-a-decade thingy (next season still counts to this current decade). ;D

6. NoTinFoilCups says:

Wholeheartedly agree. Dryden played on powerhouse teams with the exception of his rookie season and didn’t face a barrage of shots for most of his career.

7. Exit716 says:

The Lions remind me of the Ballard era Leafs…totally horrid product on the field, but tons of fans in the stands and an old codger that couldn’t care less laughing his way to the bank.

8. DD says:

Bryan, don’t tell anyone one, but I’m pretty sure Yeat’s is going to vote Democrat this time around. It’s amazing what Bush’s 8 years has done for the Republican party.

Anyway, I was hoping that Boone would pony up and let us use some of Montreal’s finer dancers to entertain us during the intermissions.

9. MikeMcLaren says:

Should we trade Gorges and a first rounder to Buffalo for Rivet and a fifth rounder?

Just askin’…

I am curious what Gainey will do at the deadline though and what he’ll give up to do it. You’re right, in the near future we might need a little bit of size and grit on the back end. Years from now our grit will be Komisarek (presuming he re-signs), McDonagh, Fischer and *maybe* Valentenko, but right now we could use some one with Franky B’s heart and Komisarek’s frame.

10. Number31 says:

Actually… I’ve always liked Pocket Rocket more than THE Rocket.

11. Number31 says:

Everyone knows the 4th is on constant rotation. Also, Dandy might be needed on defense every now and then.

12. nightmare_49 says:

Dave – I don’t agree with Yeats, we have to take this seriously and you know by the 5 minute mark of the 1st period he’ll be off on the NCAA, Columbia, Republicans or his bio, the regular, so he’ll have to do the intermissions,

13. Habsrule1 says:

I do believe that Brisebois should pretty much only play when necessary, but I also happen to notice when he plays well. I don’t think anyone else does here. Whether you agree or not, or like it or not, Brisebois was one of the better players, nevermind defensemen, in the playoffs last year. He made few mistakes and got the puck out of the zone quickly.

If any of you actually believe that Carbo is just playing him cause they’re buddies, you’re wrong. Carbo wants to, and really has to win. Not too mention Gainey is way too smart to let that happen.

I personally would play O’Bryne so that he can improve but I’ve also gained enough respect for Carbo to believe in the decisions he makes.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

14. DD says:

Although I agree with your contention about Claude Provost being one of the greatest “shut down guys” ever, he was a right winger not a center. He the Pocket Rocket were used for the same purpose, especially against the great lines of that era like “Howe Lindsay Abel” line.

Provost also helps strengthen my contention that these type of players are never given the respect they deserve.

9 Stanley Cups and not in the Hockey hall of Fame? No wonder they have the Hall of Fame in that wanna-be hockey town, Torranna.

15. nightmare_49 says:

BTW Julien is french, i’m glad to see you agree with me that he doesn’t give breaks to the other young players that was my purpose for posting, have a great evening.

16. DD says:

Boone could call it, “Game Blog From Dumb and Dumber” All we have to do is figure out which one of us gets the “Dumber” moniker, or maybe we could get Yeats involved and then we would have “Dumbest”.

17. Peter Young says:

Tell it like it is, Robert L. I followed Henri’s entire career. Henri’s contributions to the team were unsurpassed for two full decades. He helped the Rocket shine in his last years. He became a team leader by setting the example, doing whatever was asked of him, and a great deal was asked of him because he could do so much so well. For longevity of service, for unparalleled loyalty, for consistent excellence over 20 seasons, for winning more often than anyone else, Henri deserves a place within the top 10. And he certainly ranks well above Patrick Roy.

18. The Teacher says:

Agreed. 11 Cups and not on the top ten list on the franchise he played for is laughable. He played on 46% of our franchise’s Stanley Cup winning teams!

HEELLOOO! anybody hooome, lol.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

19. TC says:

Agreed that Henri should be in the top ten.

My point is that Henri while an amazing player and winner of eleven Cups was never the main reason why the Habs won a cup. Roy was; twice. Don’t forget that Roy is undoubtedly the greatest Canadiens player since Lafleur.

As to Henri being the “shut down guy” and as a “Selke trophy winner”, may I respectfully submit that it was Claude Provost and not Henri who filled that role with the Canadiens.

However, may I also second the disputed notion put forth by Boone that “Spector” knows his stuff. There’s no way Henri isn’t top ten (he was nine on my list, one behind Roy).

20. DD says:

I agree, Robert. It’s funny, but players of Henri Richards ilk never seem to get the respect they deserve. If he would have played on a lesser team, I’m sure, the Pocket Rocket would have been given full PP ice time and first line center status and then, the improved offensive numbers that go along with these benefits. People seem to forget that he had players like Jean Beliveau, Jacques Lemaire and Pete Mahovlich (to name a few) filling these roles for the team, and because of this, he never acquired big offensive numbers which some fans seem to think makes someone a great player.

He quietly did his thankless job checking the elite players of the league and led his team to 11 Cups.I’m sure if you were to ask players from that era what they thought of him, you’d get the straight goods on what a great player he was.

Like I said earlier, it is a really hard task to pick the top ten Habs ever, but as far as I’m concerned, leaving Henri Richard off the list is criminal.

21. Tom S. says:

HabLion, I’m also a fan of the Lions. I’ll be at Ford field for the Thanksgiving day game. Man, those guys might go winless this year. Looks like Millen ruined this team for the long haul. I was glad to see him gone.

22. nightmare_49 says:

Dave – During my rehab yesterday i thought of something. Seeing your a regular at the Bell Center these days and probably going to go thru withdrawal this Saturday when the Habs are in Long Island it’s time for you to add another craft to your summary, game blogging unplugged. Come exibition time next year i’m sure Mike Boone will be glad to let you have seat #39 and blog a game for us unplugged and it will give him a break, seeing one of the originals is a blogger you can be the first game blogger, of course mike would let Lee Hayes do your research.

23. Robert L says:

I don’t know that I specifically put it that way – I don’t recall the exact post. I might have suggested that there were more to those teams than people are given to credit, especially in 1993, when many overtime goals were scored without Roy having done much of significance in OT.

There were some occasions, games and moments, when Roy did carry the club, but as on all Cup winning teams, the same can be said of the players in front of him. I’ve long believed that too much credit in one area, is never the proper way to assess things team wise. Leclair and Skrudland scored timely goals, Carbo shut down Gretzky, etc.

It takes 23 men to raise that 33 pound Cup.

I’m unsure what Roy article you are refering to, but here’s what I posted on him in the month of September.

Roy Jersey Retirement A Ribbon On A Gift To Younger Fans And Old

Patrick Roy Hockey Hall Of Fame Induction Speech – Inside The Heart And Mind Of A Driven, Persevering Warrior

Patrick Roy, In My Dreams!

24. Hockey11 says:

We need a concerted boing of the Breezer like the Leafs do to their D when they don’t like them.

25. HabLion says:

I agree. The Lions are brutal. But, like the Habs, I gotta stick with my team through the lean years (very lean and lots of them)!

26. nightmare_49 says:

Pushing an agenda coming from you,lol.

27. Robert L says:

I’d say that from seeing how valuable he was to Cups 10 and 11, that it’s a pretty good estimation he was as valuable as Roy was on others.

Pocket was always the shutdown guy nullifying the likes of Mikita and Hull, Esposito and Orr, Delvecchio and Howe. He did his job with Gainey like effectiveness, and was a constant thorn in the sides of the opposing team’s stars. On top of his defensive and PK duties, he had a knack for scoring a few big goals – a pair of Cup winners included.

Henri is often underestimated because there was little focus on his game, perhaps unlike a stellar goaltender. His duty was to prevent others from shinning and had there been a Selke Trophy in the day, he might have bagged about three or four. Richard was a great all around player, the ultimate team player, in every aspect of the game and he gave the Canadiens great depth at center, which had much to do with making the Canadiens a superior team in the day.

I feel that in any list of all time Habs greats, the entire career needs to be considered. Roy spent half of his in Colorado. Henri I doubt, could have ever thought of playing for any other team. In times of trouble he endeavored to continue on, playing through his displeasures and setbacks.

In all, Richard played more games than anyone else in the uniform. How on Earth is he not in the top 10? For me, the fact that someone leaves him out says more about their inability to understand what he brought.

I won’t dispute Roy’s contributions to a pair of Cups and ten great seasons, but it is my experience that he is often ranked depending on the analyst’s perspective. I understand fully why it is that Habs fans of the younger generation place a great emphasis on what he did.

In the bigger picture, I don’t believe that it is fair that a player who contributed to only two Cups, no matter how dominant one chooses to perceive his role, belongs in the top 10 of a team with 24 Stanleys.

I’m sorry, but Lyle Richardson’s list disproves Boone’s statement that he knows his stuff.

28. Kristopher7 says:

so if line 4 is lapierre, dandy, BGL and begin where is tom the bomb ? :( he works hard this season and got a goal last night!

29. nightmare_49 says:

Steve – Though i don’t agree with your summary i must say these games against cup contending teams means much more this year on any analysis of our team. You post that we were outmuscled and didn’t utilize our speed and skill and we outshot them two to one and had 51 shots bids well with this team if we use our speed and skill as you say and maybe we’ll get 80 shots, just being a tad sarcastic. The game the Habs were to play was dictated by the coach’s decision to dress Breezer and go all out and steamroll a team that was playing it’s third game in four nights on the road to boot but it didn’t work as we didn’t cover up and the old transition game a la the Sabres burnt us. I know there was a rare full schedule on Saturday night but why were two hand picked by Walkin flunkies together to ref this big game, wasn’t there enough riots last year with those two.

30. linp says:

Me, I would blame more the forward not back checking. One poster reported that the Duck practises breaking out from their zone. They really put that into good use.

31. HabLion says:

Hey Robert L, if you’re still there can you post a link to your blog regarding Patrick not carrying the team on his shoulders during our last two cups. (I believe it was on your blog….hope it is because I have been talking highly of it today)

32. HabLion says:

I agree with you 100% on the off-season training. I was just saying that the game was completely different back then and impossible to fairly compare the two goalies. It’s an apples and oranges thing. I agree that Patrick is one of the best of all time, no question. I just think you should read Robert L’s blog….we had a pretty solid team in those cup years.

33. DD says:

Bryan, it’s funny you should say that. I was surprised to hear from several of our mutual friends at the Summits, who post here regularly, that they have been sent ‘cease and desist’ e-mails from the powers that be on this site for getting a little too rambunctious.

I, on the other hand, have never had such a warning. Go figure?

34. linp says:

On the other hand, he may block the shots for the opponent.

35. habs domain says:

I just heard that Breezer will probably bi the lineup tomorrow night. OMG!
    When will Carbo put the team before friendship with his buddy? If Breezer coughs up the puck, you have my permission to start booing him. That will take him out of the lineup.