Spain vs. Switzerland: Boone blogs live

Mike Boone has the Spain vs. Switzerland game today at the World Cup covered at our Goal Posts blog.

I am not old enough to have been very young when all that happened and not so old that my memory is fading from remembering.

Gomez is a crippling salary to take on, 2nd line centre with 1st-line pay:-)

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends what BOS would give for that scoring winger they are dying to get their hands. Hall could be the superior player and it’s always best to draft the best player available, Eberle/Hall would be incredibly strong.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Psycho29 says:

The vuvuzelas must have really annoyed them!

5. Favorite Son says:

Here’s a real debate: If you were the Oilers who would you take, Hall or Seguin? Edm looks a bit weak down the middle so I would lean towards Seguin (he’s a centre, right?).

I also think the Bruins would prefer to have Hall since they’re pretty much set with centres (Savard, Krejci, Bergeron).

6. pic1983 says:

Well if you have Gionta, Cammy, gOmez and pleks all coming due at the same time, you’re looking at a huge makeover.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey I love Koivu, everyone here knows that, but I also know we can’t argue any idea of his entering the HOF based on his potential if you knock off his injury history and Koivu was well out of a lottery selection.

My point was you could lose two years for a strong, but not elite 1-2 defender who seems to have Panther disease and a lazy #1 centre who doesn’t show up when it counts, rather than potentially unlocking a Kane and a Toews, a Doughty, or a Malkin and Crosby. Simply put, too many teams are **** to reliably tank and the lottery can always upset you out of position as well, then the vagaries of the draft years being strong or weak can just cost your team years recruiting players that smarter drafting and trades could’ve acquired.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. HFX-HabFan says:

I highly doubt the Oilers will deal their first overall pick, or Eberle, or Horcoff (they would if they could but I doubt there will be any takers- his contract is arguably the worst in the entire NHL).  It will be a success for them if they can unload Souray.  I look forward to seeing their Triple H line leading their forwards next year:

Hall/Horcoff/Hemsky

Penner/Cogliano/Eberle

O’Sullivan/Gagner/Jones

Moreau (unless bought out)/Nilsson/Stortini (if he stays)

And don’t forget they also have that Swedish kid with the hyphenated name who they took in the first round last year in the wings.  They’re a few years away but they do have some blue chip prospects.

(I now return to my regularly scheduled Habs fandom)

9. pic1983 says:

Its Montreal Canadiens policy to select the best player available based on draft rankings, subjective details like “on the rise” or “falling” arent taken into consideration.

At least thats what it looks like based on our 1st round drafting history, with the exception of 2005 when we took carey price.

10. habsgod says:

thank-god your not gauthier

11. pic1983 says:

The only place hes fallen is in habs fans heart.

Anyone who actually thinks carey is done for and washed up should just quit watching hockey.

12. HFX-HabFan says:

That’s a bit odd, considering he became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (from Lew Alcindor) well before he became a Laker, and never actually played alongside Jerry West.

13. Mark says:

Ok, one, stop yelling. Two, as great as that trade would be, I doubt the Oil would get rid of Eberle. Also, A fresh start for Max Pac? What fresh start? He’s barely been in the NHL and you’re ready to send him packing? That’s a little short sighted I think.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Horcoff is a crippling salary to take on, 3rd-line centre with 1st-line pay.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Dude! I watched the game where he went down with his knee injury. At the time he was leading the scoring race.

And you wanna argue against my tanking theory.

BTW I’d take a Bouwmeister and a Spezza any day of the week. Not with Martin as coach though.

16. Favorite Son says:

Stop yelling. The Oilers will not trade Eberle nor their 1st rd pick. I guarantee you.

The only way Lindros gets into the HHOF is if there’s a video of him getting nailed by Scott Stevens at the Scott Stevens display.

18. Dwayne33 says:

DOES SOUND OKAY, BUT I READ YOUR POST AFTER I POSTED MINE. I WOULD LIKE MINE BETTER BECAUSE I LOVE EBERLE.

Thanks for that. I still remember Jerry West and Lou Alcinder. Kareem who?

Much more interesting than this snore-fest of a World Cup of Soccer.

20. G-Man says:

More dull soccer with lots of horns.

21. Favorite Son says:

That’s not enough. People have to stop thinking that the Kostitsyns have any value.

22. G-Man says:

Eric Lindros belongs in the concussion HoF. Other than that, he received lots of pay for not delivering the goods.

23. Dwayne33 says:

BLOCKBUSTER TRADE THAT I WOULD LOVE. PRICE, KOSTITSYN BROTHERS, PACIORETTY, HAMRLIK, AND OUR FIRST PICK IN 2010 TO EDMONTON FOR EBERLE, HORCOFF, SMID, AND EDMONTON’S SECOND ROUND PICK IN 2010. EDMONTON GETS THEIR GOALIE, THE BROTHERS WOULD FIT IN WELL THERE(SERGEI PLAYED JUNIOR WITH GAGNER), AND MAX PAC GETS A FRESH START. EDMONTON COULD USE HAMRLIK BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO TRADE SOURAY(HE IS NOT HAPPY THERE).

FOR OUR HABS, WE GET OUR POTENTIAL SUPERSTAR IN EBERLE, A BIG STRONG CENTER IN HORCOFF, AND SOME MORE SIZE FOR DEFENCE IN SMID. ALSO, THIS WOULD FREE UP SOME SALARY CAP SPACE FOR US TO RESIGN PLEKS, AND A FEW OTHERS.

OUR LINES- PLEKS, CAMMALLERI, EBERLE     GOMEZ, GIONTA, POULIOT    HORCOFF, LAPIERRE, MOEN     MOORE, PYATT, DARCHE              MARKOV, SUBBAN       GORGES, GILL      O’BRYNE, SMID        HALAK, MARTIN BIRON (SIGN HIM FOR BACKUP).

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN.

24. hab_skill says:

According to Darren Dreger, the Oilers are listening to all offers concerning the 1st overall pick. I think PG should offer: Price, K Bros and/or our 1st round pick for Deslauriers and the 1st overall pick. Good Idea?

25. SeriousFan09 says:

I agree, Lindros never won anything at the NHL level besides a Hart and Pearson, his potential doesn’t earn a HOF.

Potentially without his injuries and a battle with cancer, Koivu would be an 800-point or more player by now and still playing in a capable Top 6 role. Unfortunately, due to those injuries he’ll always be less than what he could have been but that was potential and you can’t argue on that.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. Storm Man says:

With all the great sports action going on today ;) Mike Brophy is calling the big E Eric Lindros a hall of famer. I think the HHOF is getting a little soft on who they have been letting in. So let’s have a HIO poll on if he should be in the HHOF.

My vote no, my reason is not what he could have done but what he did.

27. ed lopaz says:

Burke threw almost 3 million at Grabovski last year.

Its very risky to try and figure out what Burke is thinking

sometimes.

It would make sense that they need a center to play first

line minutes with Kessel. It will be someone, and Marleau

might not be a good fit.

28. ed lopaz says:

Speaking of Price, Elliot Friedmann writes.. “finally worked hard at getting into good shape. He committed to going on the treadmill before every practice and it made a huge difference. That won’t go unnoticed by teams interested in him.”

I can not believe that this is even being reported at this stage in price’s career. Its astounding how far this kid has fallen. Hopefully he’s on the right path for good.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Kovy II isn’t a Burke-type player either and he probably doesn’t want to deal with the media circus in Toronto. Marleau I don’t think has any interest in playing under Wilson again, Wilson tends to alienate his teams after enough tim with them and he and Marleau apparently conflicted a lot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. ed lopaz says:

I had heard that we must offer him a pro contract, and

Fischer would have to turn it down, in order for this rule

to kick in.

I’m trying to find it on the net, but so far no luck.

31. Storm Man says:

That is like finding out you have an old bank account with 3-4k in it.

32. showey47 says:

david fischer might actually be a valuable asset after all.

33. Storm Man says:

Round 1 is always slow as no one wants to lose. When it gets to the knockout rounds the stars will show what they have.

I hope we do better than Petrovic.  His stock has fallen and I’d rather get someone who is on the rise.

McIlrath cleaning his clock may be shades of Komi and Lucic all over again.

Let’s move up a few spots and get someone better.

35. W35T5ID3 says:

Eliotte Friedman believes Price will be dealt and he’d fetch 2 good pieces in return…..^^^^CHECK it OUT.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Despite the issues swirling around Kabanov, I’m still pretty sure someone will take him before us, no one wants to put Kabanov in their mock draft, but at his talent level, someone will be convinced they can turn him into an NHLer.

I’m shocked that Vladimir Tarasenko has been listed in the 1st round by some, the ship has sailed on drafting out of the KHL in the 1st round I would say. The Nikita Filatov drama, along with Radulov bolting and Zherdev walking away to play in the KHL was the nail in the coffin over the last couple years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. nickster13 says:

with that draft position, at that stage we would HAVE to pick kabanov,too talented not to pick if hes still on the board

38. mike g says:

Leafs won’t touch him…

He’s not a Brian Burke “type” player. They’ll go after Kovalchuk and Marleau. And watch Kaberle go to Buffalo for Stafford and a 1st rounder this year.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Hockey’s Future has  us selecting Alexander Petrovic out of the WHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. ed lopaz says:

the leafs will offer plekanec 30+ million for 6 years, and that’s just 1 team.

forget about their cap trouble.

there are tons of teams looking for centers that can put up points.

I would love to keep him, but we’re already locked into the gomez deal.

41. mike g says:

I think any smart GM will also look at his best years with a grain of salt…

Last year was exceptional for a player his size and the amount of different roles he filled with near perfection. Constantly changing linemates, injured squad for most of the year, etc…Can’t argue with last season’s stats. But the year before, 39 points. 2 years ago, he had 69 points, but for certain reasons; Kovalev’s exceptional 35+ goal campaign, everything went right for the Habs and they finished 1st in the East, etc…Last year when Kovy dropped, so did Pleks.

So all in all, even though he has become a very good player, it’s hard to throw 5 mill for longterm to a guy who benefitted from an overall teams success 2 years ago, then slumped like crazy, and now finally had a great year due to himself being the main reason.

I know there are GM’s who won’t look at that, and will always throw big money around without a problem. But if I’m PG, the deal I listed above is almost my final deal. Maybe a little more money if that’s what it takes, but not 30 mill for 6 years. At that price he can walk, sucks to say it….

42. Storm Man says:

Why did the french celebrate their win in the 2000 world cup so wildly?? It was the first time they won anything without the help of the U.S.

43. Storm Man says:

No need for a huge makeover. I would hope by then some of the players from the Dogs are on the team plus some we have drafted. :P

44. ed lopaz says:

mike, it would be great for the habs to get that deal, but plekanec will not go for it.

at least, if i’m his agent, I say no to that deal.

here’s why.

someone in the league will offer at least 5 million (conservatively, probably higher still) and at least 4 year term.

that’s 20 million and he’s still got 2 years left in term to reach your 6 years.

what do think plekanec will be worth 4 years from now when he’s still only 32?

there is an ESCALATION of salaries in pro sports, please remember.

a 32 year old, with 6 solid years of NHL experience under his belt, if he has plekanec’s talent and numbers (around 60-70 points per season)

will be worth ATLEAST 6 million for year 5 and year 6 = 12 million.

so by my calculation,

plekanec is worth close to 32 million for the next 6 years not 25.7 million.

since he is young, and there is lots of demand for him, and his salary is still on the increase in year 5 and 6,

I do not sign your deal if I’m plekanec

Mike – I find it hard to believe that some team won’t offer Pleks at least $5M a year.  Hell, Ryder got $4M and he played like total crap in his contract year.  Never underestimate what GM’s will do.  Pleks is holding all the cards this summer and I’m sure his agent will keep reminding him of that fact.

46. nickster13 says:

and have another makeover opp like last year? No thank you :P i want a few overlaps and inconsistencies in the years the contracts end

47. Storm Man says:

I dont like the 6 year term…. 4 year would be better that is when the core of the forwards are UFA.

48. Bugs says:

Wherein the Irish woulda scored more goals?

Is that what you’re sayin?

Please.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

49. Bugs says:

He didn’t say that. He said “des paroles aux actes maintenant”.

Unless I missed the moment you’re referring to. Link, please.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

50. Bugs says:

Uh-huh…

Follow hype much? Your big brother tell you to say that?

Pathetic, Sincey.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

51. mike g says:

How does this sound for a Pleks contract…..

year 1- 3.9 mill

year 2- 4.3 mill

year 3+4+5- 4.5 mill

year 6- 4 mill

So he’s signed long term, t’ill he’s 33 which is the end of his prime, and an overall cap hit of 4.2 million. It’s a 6 year deal worth 25.7 mill.

Very good for both parties if you ask me, and if you consider 4.2 mill excellent for a 1st/2nd line center in his prime…

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Or a team who wants an impact winger sooner rather than later, like PIT. Putting Kabanov on Crosby or Malkin’s wing would be a huge help to the organization.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. HabFanSince72 says:

This French team has no flair. Also, they’re a bunch of dicks. To a man. Henry is a cheat, Gallas is a crybaby, etc …

Not only that but they’re managed by the most clueless manager in history. Makes Jean Perron look like Scotty Bowman.

54. G-Man says:

Chicago just found out that Niemi is good enough to win a Cup. He will be the undisputed #1. Huet will be sent to the minors for cap reasons. I’d still like to get Sharpe, but he’s not a big upgrade over Pleks.

55. The Cat says:

Not seeing it Bugs. Even Domenech has said to the press prior to the WC starting to not blame him if France doesn’t get out of the group stage. Im predicting a win for Mexico today. OLE!

56. The Cat says:

Actually Bugs, there would have been 30 minutes of extra time added before penalties.

57. Jbird says:

I am not a Hipster!!!!  ;-)

58. j2w4habs25 says:

Mexico Vs France in the morning. Am hoping for a tie game

But the games keeping my attention are on Friday.

I am really hoping for a USA win and a England lost.. U.S.A…U.S.A!!

59. vaya_ says:

i have a feeling he won’t make it to 27. somebody like boston or atlanta with two first round picks can definitely gamble, not to mention teams with deep prospect pools like l.a.

60. Bugs says:

Reckon the Mexicans aren’t doin cartwheels for us either at the moment.

But once, like Ireland, they see it’s all for the GOOD of the World Cup, they’ll come around.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

61. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL.com on the Vezina candidates:

“One of these days Martin
    Brodeur
    ‘s age and the amount of minutes he plays when healthy for a
    full season are going to catch up and turn him into a mere mortal
    goaltender. Maybe then the Vezina Trophy will be up for grabs.”

You mean like the last 5 years in the playoffs where he plays like a mere version of Red-Light Raicot?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. Bugs says:

Heeey, that’s what I said to you last time.

I very much enjoy when other posters use my words. It tells me they are well enough aware of their charismatic impact to appropriate them for their own ends and that flatters me.

Thanks, mate!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

63. Bugs says:

In other words, Maradona is a nobody and only LEGAL prostitute-lovers need apply.

Because that affects the game.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

64. Bugs says:

You mean the ref MISSED the play???

Wow, that NEVER happens in sport, right?

Besides, it’s funny to me that those crying about Ireland’s demise take it for granted they woulda WON the match had the Hand of Frog not counted.

It would’ve gone to penalty shootout.

And a 4-year-old child woulda put the money on Lloris making the first save over Seaman.

So please…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

65. ooder says:

Spain dominates Switzerland and loses lol

what a funny goal the Swiss scored though.

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

66. The Teacher says:

My god, the French suck! :)

Long live Cannavaro :)

67. gK_HabsFan says:

Just nab the guy! Kabanov is the real deal!

-GK-

68. Ayan_SB says:

Man, I’d rather see North Korea win that that cheater Henry, not too mention the teen prostitute loving Ribery.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Even the French player ended up admitting his goal wasn’t legal I believe, but FIFA is as corrupt as any international sports body so it went on anyway.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. Ayan_SB says:

You know who I bet isn’t rooting for the French? Ireland.

71. HFX-HabFan says:

That is the question, mate.  To ask it is to answer it.  Well done!

72. naweed235 says:

ok guys hear me out… Chances are that Pleky is gone… It also seems like one of the two goalies is leaving aswell… Chicago won the cup and they need to get rid of some players and the most likely is Patrick Shap… Do you guys believe that with the players that we have we could in anyway get him?

I would arrange a deal including price going their way….

What do u think would be the most likely scenario if that were to happen?

I know that with the guys that we got here, Halak and (hopefully a decent player for the Kbros) we should have a solid team for next season …

73. SeriousFan09 says:

DGB leaks the menu of the new sports bar run by MLSE.

Favourite is the Mats Sundin: One giant Swedish meatball, surrounded by a never-ending supply of terrible wings.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. HFX-HabFan says:

Not at all.  Although it wouldn’t surprise me if you claimed you were from France.  Or Lake Nakameechee.

75. Jbird says:

That was Awesome!  The look on Torres’s face – awsome.  Love upsets in the world cup.

PS I like the horns.

76. G-Man says:

The horns are making a boring sport completely unwatchable. Annoying idiots.

77. smiler2729 says:

How many countries were founded exclusively without any conflict? Disneyland, maybe.

78. smiler2729 says:

Dude…

so much typing and thinking… I’m home recovering from pneumonia and am way too mentally tired to get into this on a freaking hockey site…

so I slagged soccer, whoopee.

So I stand for a Canada you don’t, oh well! Go watch soccer and I’ll talk NHL off-season…

Sheesh

79. Rugger says:

Not denying that, just hoping that someday we humans can get over the urge to settle conflicts with violence.

80. G-Man says:

Epcott. lol

81. forskis says:

You are absolutely correct that this should not be discussed on a hockey site…but the fact remains that you brought it up with the “new” Canadian comment.

In any case, you are also correct that a topic such as this should end with “whoopee” and “oh well” because it is a differing of opinion and nothing more.  And do get better…because if you catch pneumonia in the summertime, it must be pretty bad.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

82. dh says:

That must have been what he meant when he was talking about founding the country on our christian values…

If you don’t like soccer, why comment on this thread anyway?

83. Le Jadester says:

“The indigenous people were here but not as a country called Canada. Read your history books, Canada was founded by immigrants from England and France. We founded a country on Christian values and have called ourselves Canadians ever since.”

I’m sure Jesus was proud of them for coming over, slaughtering them, stealing their land and teaching them how to drink. Gotta love those wonderful Christian Values.

Habs, OLE !

84. dh says:

Just seems sort of tiresome hearing about conquering a country and christian values in the same sentence.

And then ragging on soccer at the same time, I don’t know…

85. mike g says:

Alright,…I’ll give up

86. forskis says:

Before you climb down from your “patriotic” soapbox…remember, we gave them nothing, just the way in, the rest was up to them…by the way, there are NO Canada flags being waved because CANADA DID NOT QUALIFY FOR THE WORLD CUP.

Oh and for point of order…we are all “new” Canadians…the only original ones were the natives and we “new” Canadians decided to almost wipe them out…

Also…0-0 and a shootout…there is really nothing to complain about, because we have the shootout in the NHL REGULAR SEASON…and when an NHL game is 0-0, we call it a “great goaltending battle”…so put your bias away, the last time I checked, Canada was a part of the WORLD and not a planet unto itself, we should all join it once in a while.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

87. smiler2729 says:

I know Canada didn’t qualify.

Let me ask you one question: if Canada were in the World Soccer Cup thingie, how many of these ‘new’ Canadians would fly the Maple Leaf and root for Canada?

None, the “Italian-Canadians” would be flying the Italian flag, the “Portuguese-Canadians” would fly the Portugal flag etc…

And as for your ‘new’ Canadian statement, Canada was not founded by natives. The indigenous people were here but not as a country called Canada. Read your history books, Canada was founded by immigrants from England and France. We founded a country on Christian values and have called ourselves Canadians ever since. My grandparents may have been from England and Germany but they called themselves Canadians their whole lives here. Don’t get all self-righteous.

And also a 0-0 hockey game is a hell of a lot more entertaining than a 90 minute zzzzzfest in soccer. The difference is scoring chances, hockey has plenty and soccer has a couple.

Cheers!

88. smiler2729 says:

There, you’ll be better off.

89. Rugger says:

Just because the English, French & Spanish changed the bloody name doesn’t mean they didn’t invade and conquer an existing civilization.

90. smiler2729 says:

Somebody had to eventually now, didn’t they? Why do you wanna start a war over this stuff?

91. forskis says:

You know that Canada is based on a native word (Kanata) that “we” arbitrarily applied as the name to the land because that is what “we” thought the natives named the land, right?  It is not a question of who founded what…”old” Canadians always complain about the “new” because the “old” were here “first”, well, the natives were here “first” and got the shaft.

And if folks want to cheer on their roots, then fine, it does not hurt you in any way whatsover, but if poeple want to complain about it, then make a law that says that once you end up here, your loyalties are here….then make sure to tell the thousands of Canadians who live/work overseas that their loyalties should now lie with the countries they currently live/work in.

For folks who complain about the hardcore language hawks doing the us vs. them bit, the Old Canadian vs. New Canadian stems from the same BS and makes it just as bad as English vs. French.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

92. Rugger says:

Not looking for a war, I’m a pacifist at heart.  Just expressing my opinion.

93. krob1000 says:

that was surreal …… reminded me of watching the Russians lose this year at the Olympics…they fired ball after ball but at no point looked really desperate …. they just thought their talent would win it for them (and it was a huge talent gap between the clubs) and they were wrong….there were countless cross intot he middle that they were outmuscled on and weren;t willing to fight for.  I don’t watch a lot of soccer but Spain had our issue…noone going ahrd to the net, soft on loose balls in dirty areas.  That Torres guy looked like he didn;t really want to be in the game…and maybe shouldn;t have been….it was like he would rather have not been part of what was going on. That Inesta guy appeared to fake his injury conveniently after messing up a few good chances. The lack of intensity was disturbing….perhaps it couold be referred to as poise under pressure or unwavering confidence…again I am not muchof a soccer fan but to me that was a classc case of not wanting it bad enough.  They dominated every aspect of the game except the Swiss fought for their goal….the Spaniards chose to play pretty soccer..but it still wound up ugly.  Anyways that is my opinion…not that is matters as I gave up competitive soccer when I was an early teenager for baseball.

94. mike g says:

I’m in the same exact boat as you are…

I’m not a big soccer fan, but I’ll watch the WC. I saw the game exactly how you just described it. What is even more surprising is how the top raked teams are stinking it up this year. Italy, Portugal, Spain, France all dissapointed. I’ll even throw Brazil and Argentina in that mix, because they barely won their games vs crap teams.

There have been a ton of upsets, and the only team that has looked as good as they’re talked about is Germany. They burnt the Ausies to a crisp.

95. G-Man says:

Those idiots are ruining an already boring sport, rendering it unwatchable. If there were noise like that in the Bell Centre, the place would empty or those blowing the horns would be beaten to death with them. (joking)

96. smiler2729 says:

Yeah but apparently these soccer pinheads like to blow theirs continually, like through the whole game, non-stop. Yeah, that’s normal.

97. forskis says:

Yeah, it may be annoying…but who are we to begrudge those folks having fun?  OMG, people having fun at a sports event, perish the thought.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

98. alestar says:

Apparently its more interesting than watching the games…

XXIV…and counting

99. Rugger says:

I thought there was something wrong with the TV, it sounds like a swarm of wasps.

100. mike g says:

Unless you cheer for Spain, you’re loving what just happend…

I’m Italian, so this is just awsome. I cheer for the Italians (my nationality)  and the underdogs, pretty much like anyone else. To say that Spain deserved to win is a bold statement. Yeah, they had the clear advantage in ball posession, but the Swiss had some excellent offensive chances.

In the 75th minute, one Swiss player deke’d 2 defenders and hit the post from 10 feet away from the net. That would have sealed the deal. They didn’t end up needing it. I watched about 70% of the game, and IMO Spain wasn’t THAT good, they were alright.

I expected a much different result though…

101. Storm Man says:

He is not 100 percent.

102. krob1000 says:

The horns make the atmosphere completely impartial….it is all you hear…it is like watching hockey game on mute….you get no oohs and ahhs and you miss out ont hecrowds favouring their home team…..most ridiculous thing I have ever seen…sorry heard.

103. HABZ24 says:

i hope the two koz brothers are traded. andre has talent but doesnt live up to it most times and for sure doesnt play well in playoffs, paychqs stop so does andre.  koz jr has talent too but has a yo yo yo young punk azz attitude.  sign plek but after a do bugger all playoff he ll get less then he wants. keep halak trade price before losng for nothing.

104. krob1000 says:

I think the Swiss miss off the post was a better chance personally, I think at some point they should have showed some emotion…again I am not a soccer fan so maybe the calm attitude is the way to go in those situations…again..dunno but it sure didn’t seem to me that they were playing like guys who wanted to win it the hard way…they seemed like they wanted the perfect opening to present itself…..the other team wants to win too so I would think in that situation (at least the last 15 minutes or so) they would be more desperate ont hose crosses and take more chances of firing the ball into the traffic and hope it gets through or bounces to an open man as they had cvirtually their whole team playing up. If you are in a street fight you don’t try to score Olympic style electronic jabs…..You are probably right though and I can’t help looking at soccer like it is hockey…so..

105. krob1000 says:

I don’t know what post you are reading because I never said they weren’t all over them….they completely dominated as I mentioned…..and I never said they were diving ..I said that Iniesta guy after screwing up a scoring chance and putting that pass behind Torres that I coulld have made that would have sent him in  alone then conveniently got injured and on the replay I couldn;t see how he got hurt…I was totally guessing but I have no idea what you are responding to with your comments because I never said either of things you mentioned.

106. mike g says:

In the 1st half, a Spanish player blatantly dove just inches outside the penality area, looking for a penalty shot.

Spain ended up getting a free kick from just outside the box. It was just a terrible call, the ref whistled like 5 seconds after he fell because the player satyed down screaming, all the Spanish players lifted their hands, etc….It was such an obvious dive, and the Swiss player even got a yellow card. I’m no soccer expert, far from it, but the amount of pathetic diving going on in this WC is insane.

Play the game properly, especially when you’re the favorites like Spain and you have such an advantage over everyone else due to your immense talent and skill. Don’t be cheap and try gain an advantage by faking, with the powerhouse Spain and others have, they shouldn’t be looking for cheap/unfair advantages like that.

If they would’ve played the game properly like they could have, it would have ended in an unsurprising blowout.

107. Storm Man says:

They wanted to bring him back slowly but that is out the door now as they must win both games now.

108. cautiousoptimist says:

Because I can’t help myself when it comes to GM blue-skying, here’s a slightly tweaked post I put up here a while ago.

What do you think, and what would you do different?

Trades

Dallas has a D that’s so-so at best.  They also have a ton of cap space.  Let’s see if we can deal Hamrlik, Weber, and our 2nd-round pick for Neal.  We get a young budding power forward and about $4.7M of cap relief.  They get a defenceman who saved our season while Markov was hurt, and two building blocks for a rebuilding team: a pick and a defensive prospect with offensive upside that would be wasted in Hamilton with Subban in next year’s lineup.

I’ve got no problem with having a dedicated tough guy on the team, so long as he can also eat up minutes and play solid defensively.  So, deal Carle to Edmonton for Stortini straight up.  A rebuilding Edmonton gets a promising young NHL-ready defender that it sorely needs.  We get a real bona fide tough guy who’s also surprisingly solid defensively and was a +3 on the worst team in the league last year. (Horcoff was a -29.)

Philly needs a goalie.  We need big forwards who can score.  Send them Price for van Riemsdyk, straight up: two young players with a ton of potential who haven’t lived up to it recently, but who could become stars.

Those enigmatic Kostitsyns’ days are done in Montreal — both are young, and both have promise, but Andrei just isn’t fitting, and Martin would probably ice Perry Pearn before giving Sergei any more minutes.   Similarly, Martin only plays O’Byrne if he positively has to, despite the fact that he’s physical and fairly solid defensively.  Calgary can’t score, but its goals against rates among the league’s best.  Send the brothers and O’Byrne to Calgary for Regeher and a 3rd-rounder.  The salaries work out exactly, we get a top-2 shutdown D-man, and Calgary gets two potentially explosive players for the price of one, plus a solid defender.

Cap space

So now we’ve got some $6M in cap space, mostly due to Hamrlik’s departure.  We just bought out Laraque, so that gives us an extra $1M: $7M total.  Save $4M more by not re-signing Mara, Darche, MAB or Metro (though I’ll miss him): $11M total.  Use $5M of that on raises for Pleks, Moore and Halak, and still maintain some $6M of cap space for a rainy day.

Free agents

I’m not a big fan of blockbuster free agent signings.  First-liners and top-2 D-men are just too expensive, and we don’t have the cap space anyway.  I am however a fan of signing solid free agent pluggers — so often, we’ve lost games because the other team’s bottom two defencemen or 3rd and 4th lines were better than ours.  So, we can use what’s left of our cap space to sign…

Kurt Foster, a 6’5″ 223lb 27-year-old defenceman who was a -5 this year on a team where Lecavalier was a -16.  He made $600k last year — let’s see if we can get him for double that.

Pick up Mark Recchi too, if he’s up for another run in Montreal, and give him a carbon copy of his current 1-year $1M contract — hell, double it to $2M if you have to.  Yeah yeah, he’s 42.  He also got 10 points in 13 playoff games, averaged 16-17 minutes a game all year, and scored 43 points on Boston’s second and third lines this season — 10 more than 25-year-old AK46 did on our top line, even though he earns more than 3 times as much.  He’s a bull, he knows how to win, and he hates losing like Gainey hates facial expressions.  Play him with Pouliot and Moore and ice a dangerous third line, with the option to bump him up to fill in for injured top-liners so we don’t have to disrupt our other scoring lines.

Call up Desjardins, who’s been at the top of the AHL stat chart all year.

The results:

Neal-Plekanec-Cammalleri
    van Riemsdyk-Gomez-Gionta
    Pouliot-Moore-Recchi
    Stortini-Lapierre-Moen

Markov-Regehr
    Spacek-Subban
    Gorges-Gill/Foster

Halak
    Desjardins

We end up with:

- a team that rolls four lines: two strong scoring lines, a 3rd that can score and eat up minutes, and a 4th line that’s defensively responsible and as tough as we need it to be
    - Much improved D, with Regehr and Foster in for Hamrlik, O’Byrne and MAB
    - more size, more skill and more grit
    - Recchi stirring up the locker room and potting 30-40 points from the 3rd line
    - a defensively responsible tough guy who breaks faces better than nearly anyone
    - a solid but aging D-man’s $5.5M salary off our books
    - a 6th/7th defenceman not named Marc-Andre Bergeron
    - Goaltending that stays about the same as it was
    - a bit of cap space for a rainy day

What do you think?

109. andrewberkshire says:

I like the Dallas trade, it’s even mildly plausible, but the rest is either bad ideas or unrealistic. After just giving up on Phaneuf, there’s no way Calgary trades Regher too. If we’re trading Weber we have to hang on to Carle, you can’t trade all your defensive prospects away in one fell swoop. Not to mention that Carle is worth more than Stortini. Price is worth more than JVR, he’s not as good as people want to pretend. Also the allotted amount of salary you’ve divided between Plekanec, Moore and Halak is WAY too conservative. Plekanec is going UFA, and Halak is eligible for arbitration, both are looking at more than 4 million per year easily. Halak alone may eat up as much cap space as you divided amongst 3 of them.

110. mike g says:

1- No way Dallas trades Neal for Hamrlik (overpaid, UFA next year), Weber (unproven in the NHL, and not outstanding in the AHL), and 2nd round pick.

2- Stortini probably won’t be shopped by EDM. He seems like a very useful player; good in the room, funny guy, and always willing to protect his teammates. With guys like Hall/Seguin, Pajaarvi, and Eberle coming up, I think they’d like to have him protecting their future stars. Matt Carle is also just as unproven as Weber.

3- Philly won’t trade JVR. He’s cheap for the next 5 years, and can score 20 goals with his eyes closed. In 2 years he’ll be bigger, stronger, and scoring 30+ goals. They’ll need him, and have him for cheap, once guys like Briere and Gagne and Hartnell are out. He’s a keeper in the salary cap era, and Philly knows it.

4- Reghier is Calgary’s most steady and responsable defenseman. I can’t see how they’d trade him for a kid with a horrible attitude and little NHL success, a lazy player like AK who’s a UFA after next year, and O’Byrne who’s still trying to find consistency. He plays 2-3 good games, and then stinks for a week. I’m not saying he’s horrible, I think he will one day be a solid defender. But he’s young, still trying to develop, and in no way will replace Reghir’s role in CGY.

So, while your trades benefit the Habs, I just don’t see any of those teams biting on one of them…

111. nickster13 says:

I think that team looks fantastic on paper. But dallas would be tools to get rid of Neal, and Philly tools to get rid of van reimsdyk. beyond that, you never know

112. hab_skill says:

Good Idaes other than the Calgary trade. Not a good idea…

CO – Thanks for taking the time to map out such a long post.  Here’s a few quick thoughts.

A team doesn’t really save the entire salary for any player that is bought out or not re-signed seeing that they still have to fill a roster spot.  Even it it’s with a the league minimum of $550000.  Any realistic cap projection has to be based on a 23 man roster (including spares) of 14 forwards and 7 Dmen.  We then also have to have close to $2M for injuries, wiggle room and late season trades.

Neal is probably one of the top four forwards in Dallas and at 22 is their best young player.  I doubt we are going to get him for an over the hill vet and a young Dman who is stalled at the AHL level.

I’d rather take Carter for Price and then let Pleks walk.  But that’s just me.

I like Foster but I doubt that Tampa will let him go.  I also can’t see him being a 7th Dman at $15M.  Those days have to end in Montreal.  I also figure that Recchi is comfortable in Boston.  Especially seeing they need some scoring.  Your K brother deal is interesting but it’s difficult to know what value they presently hold.  It’s surely no secret that they are both total slackers.  Maybe White can be a 4th liner for $550000.

Everything this summer begins with the Pleks situation.  Once that becomes clear, then we can start addressing our other roster spots.

114. Habsforlife 1959 says:

The Habs management should take a shot at a few UFA’s in Phonenix. IMO, it would make sense for the following reasons. Signed them to four year contracts at this price if possible.

Tylor Pyatt -LW -6′ 4″ -230 lbs – 3.5 million for 4 yrs – To be with his brother.

Matthew Lombardi – 6′ -198lbs - 9 million for 4 yrs – Quebec born player with speed.

Zbynek Michalek -6′ 2″ -210lbs - 5.5 millon for 4 yrs – Right handed shot on D.

115. nightmare_49 says:

59 – OMG, i can see the reaction of Michalek’s agent, that coin for one of the players they have built their team around.

116. Storm Man says:

If the Habs could got all three…. I will be thanking santa…

117. cautiousoptimist says:

Hi Andrew,

Not sure about that cap space issue — Plekanec made $2.75M last year, and a reasonable estimate has him earning $5M or so next year, for a raise of $2.25M.  Moore made $1.1M last year, and maybe earned a raise to $1.5M, for a $400k increase.  Halak made just $800k, and may well earn $3M next year, for a raise of $2.2M.  $2.25M+$2.2M+$400k=just under $5M.  Even if Halak earns $4M, we’ve got the cap space for the extra $1M.

You may well be right about Regehr, but they desperately need to score, and O’Byrne really is a Regehr-lite.  I really think both teams win this trade.

Carle would be worth more than Stortini if he hadn’t had serious injuries in each of the last three seasons that prevented his entry to the NHL, and realistically he isn’t going to make the big club in Montreal anytime soon.

Price’s trade value was higher a year ago, and now he’s a year older but not any better, and arguably a little worse — when prospects’ numbers start to level out, their value starts to drop, and his certainly have.

You’re right that these moves would be expensive in terms of defensive prospects, but you’ve got to give something to get something, and with our forward lines bolstered by big young talent, we could now safely focus on defensemen in the draft.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  118. mike g says:

What does CGY gain in the Rghier trade?

Their defense will be much weaker and more vulnerable, thus allowing more goals. Kipper is getting old and is showing signs of breaking down the past few years, hence why they signed Jay Bo last summer in an effort to have the best defense in the League. Even if AK scores 20 in that defensive system, CGY will alow many more goals due to their lack of defense…

119. cautiousoptimist says:

Not sure about that — O’Byrne’s no Regehr, but he has Regehr’s size and still has potential to be a lot more than the fairly solid 2nd-pairing guy he is now.  Worst-case scenario for Calgary, they get 25-30 goals from the brothers combined — no way is O’Byrne’s replacement of Regehr going to result in that many more goals against, especially with Calgary’s tight defensive style.  Best case, AK returns to form and pots 25+ by himself, Sergei pots 10-15 with 20-30 assists, and O’Byrne starts to come into his own, playing for the first time on an NHL team that knows how to use his toughness to its advantage.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  120. mike g says:

O’Byrne is not currently a solid 2nd pairing d-man…

He may be one day, but he isn’t that yet. His foot speed isn’t where it should be, hence why he often gets burned along the boards on the rush. We’ve seen him take many tripping, slashing, hookig, and holding penalities because of this. Once he adjusts that part of his game, he’ll be a 2nd pairing guy.

And also, he’s not really the tough/always physical guy we want him to be. Don’t get me wrong, he hits and I;m not saying he’s a scared giant. But he doesn’t go out of his way to open-ice hit guys, instill fear in the opposition, and play the rugged style we saw Komisarek play for one year and land him that insane Leafs contract.

O’Byrne hits when he has to. Which isn’t bad. But he’s not gonna replace half of Reghier in CGY for at least another year or 2 if all goes well..

121. andrewberkshire says:

Then again, Mike, what did Calgary gain in the Phaneuf trade?

122. HabFanSince72 says:

Good point. We should trade with Calgary while Sutter is still in charge.

123. andrewberkshire says:

I understand what you’re saying, but Price was clearly better this season than he ended last season, so I don’t see his value diminishing. At 22 he has more wins and better numbers than Martin Brodeur had at the same age, and since he’s not up for a raise and in fact his salary might decrease, I wouldn’t be willing to trade him as a GM unless I was offered a very good deal. Just my opinion.

I also understand that you have to give something to get something, but I don’t see enough of an improvement on the roster as you’ve laid it out to sacrifice nearly all of our defensive depth in O’Byrne, Carle and Weber. I also disagree about Carle not making the club anytime soon, I was very impressed with him during his callup and could see him making the team out of camp next season. I hope he stays healthy though.

Agree to disagree I suppose, friend!

124. mike g says:

They dumped him for 3 fillers, just like Jokinen, for one simple reason…

They were both problems/issues in the room. There are reasons you trade good players for nothing, and it’s usually either because of their large salary, or because they’re a problem. The team your trading with will know this, as was the case with Dion and Olli….

Reghier is not in that boat. Great guy, seems like the Flames love him, he’s got an excellent cap hit of 4 mill for another 3 years, etc…

There’s no reason they’d dump him for peanuts.

125. HabFanSince72 says:

On l’antichambre last night the assembled illuminati suggested that Plek’s agent was going to use Gomez’ salary as a benchmark, but this makes no sense.

Gomez was signed by someone else, and was signed a few years ago. He was the only available centre for us at the time.

The more appropriate benchmarks are Gionta and Cammalleri. Both signed last year by the Habs. Both came here as UFA.

If you were to rank those three in importance to the Habs it would probably be 1. Cammi 2. Gionta 3. Pleks.

So no more than $5M for Plekanec sems fair.

126. ed lopaz says:

its more than the 5 million number that we have to wrry about. Its the term.

at 28, plekanec can easily expect offers of 5 maybe 6 years.

we’re locked into gomez for several more years (not sure how many) but I know its at least 2 or 3.

we have some VERY INTERESTING centremen in the organisation, especially Louis Leblanc.

Leblanc should not be held back for too long, 1 more season in college + 1 year in the Ahl, and then like PK

Subban, he will jump in and play center for about 800,000.

I really think the Habs are cooked on the Plekanec file.

If I was the agent, you have waited until now, so of course you wait until July 1 to at least get the offers.

Then your client becomes the #1 ranked free agent in this years market, if you consider that Kovalchuk and marleau will be way more expensive.

whatever the habes think they can offer, someone else will offer at least 1,000,000 more and probably 2 more years.

Habs would go for 4 years and 5 million – for example. – 20 million

Leafs might go for 6 years and 5.5 million – for example  33 million

imho, of course!

127. cautiousoptimist says:

It’s true they’d be hard-pressed to deal their prospects, but Dallas finished 11th in the West last year and really needs some D.  I’d throw in Maxwell and a 4th instead of the 2nd if I had to, to get the deal done.

And van Riemsdyk is a good prospect, but so is Price.  Considering their success this year, they really only need to shore up their goaltending, and Price could really shine in that role as an inexpensive, undisputed #1.  With firepower like Briere, Richards, Gagne, Carter, Hartnell and Giroux, (or whatever they get for those guys in trades) they’d still have lots of scoring punch.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  128. mike g says:

About the Flyers…

They’re my 2nd favorite team so I follow them alot. They’re a solid team, don’t get me wrong, but they didn’t have the toughest road to the finals and I’ll admitt it.

They faced a lost/lazy team in NJ, with Brodeur looking like Toskala in the playoffs now. Then they played the Bruins, not exaclty a great team this year. They’d win 3-4 games, then lose 3-4 games. They took a 3-0 lead in the series, lost Krejci, Savard looked terrible and never should have come back, and then the Bruins played like they did all year; win a few, lose a few. The Flyers played them perfectly in the last 4 games, without Carter and Gagne for the 1st 5 games, and then off to MTL. The Habs looked like a beaten up team and tired from 2 long, intense series’. 8th seed vs 7th seed who was predicted to finish 1st in the East.

Philly’s success was due in large part to their good team, but they didn’t face the toughest oppenents to get there. And that’s coming from somewhat of a Philly fan.

129. cautiousoptimist says:

Hi Mike, fair enough, but with a better goalie in the net against Chicago, they may well have won it all. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  130. nightmare_49 says:

Panthers might trade Nathan Horton soon /

According to league sources, several teams are interested in Horton, who has three years left on a six-year, $24 million contract extension signed with the Panthers just before the 2007 draft. Horton’s no-trade clause won’t kick in until July 1, Horton’s agent Krepelka said.

131. Storm Man says:

Cammy makes 6 mil :)

132. HabFanSince72 says:

“I’d rather take Carter for Price and then let Pleks walk.”

But that amounts to trading Price and Pleks for Carter. Not a great deal.

133. mike g says:

So I’ve been watching all the World Cup games….

Not at home, but online at work. I’m trying really hard to get into it, because afterall it is the WC…So here are a few thaughts…

1- Those f’kin hornes (vuvuleza’s as they call them) are the most annoying thing in the world.

2- The games are so much more boring than usual soccer games.

3- The highest ranked teams are either tying, or winning slightly by 1 goal to the much lower ranked squads.

4- There is more  pathetic diving in this WC than I’ve ever seen in all the olympic swimming events, combined.

But, apart from that I’m still trying….

134. smiler2729 says:

Give up and just admit soccer is the most overrated, BORING freakin’ sport on the planet!

The whole soccer culture with their insane asylum inducing horn blowing to the way they name their teams (why is every team FC or United or Real whatever? And people bitched that the CFL had two Rough Riders!) to the way some countries assassinate players for messin’ up to the fixing of games… and all this for a 90+ minute exercise of watching guys run around and finish a game with a penalty kick cuz it’s still NIL freakin’ NIL!

What a joke.

Oh and here at home, all of a sudden all these “new” Canadians, that we welcomed in and gave ‘em everything they could want, are suddenly flying flags of every country except CANADA.

135. alestar says:

This just in: http://www.theonion.com/video/soccer-officially-announces-it-is-gay,17603/

Gotta love The Onion…

XXIV…and counting

136. Storm Man says:

Group rounds are always like this Kaka.

137. Habsforlife 1959 says:

with a signing bonus of 1.5 Million.

138. Storm Man says:

This could be a HUGE upset.

139. mike g says:

At this point, even if Spain pulls off a draw it’s embarassing and pathetic

140. Storm Man says:

For the Swiss this is a HUGE victory for them…….

141. mike g says: