Spacek set to play 800th NHL game

Canadiens defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who endured a difficult start to the season but has been rounding into better form of late, will play his 800th NHL game on Wednesday night at home against the Edmonton Oilers.

Spacek broke into the league with the Florida Panthers in 1998-99 and has since played for Chicago, Columbus, Chicago again, Edmonton and Buffalo before joining the Canadiens as a free agent before the start of last season.

Here’s a little video of Spacek after today’s practice, discussing his 13-season NHL career.

C53omGXXq7g

1. Bugs says:

I was wondering how to say it. That’s PERFECT, Ash.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

2. SmartDog says:

Thanks.

But it doesn’t matter who is or isn’t talking about Gomez’s suckitude.

In his last five games, Gomez has had ONE ASSIST.

His numbers speak for themselves.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

3. Propwash says:

Ian, something tells me, they say that to anyone who has a gripe to the CBC.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

4. SmartDog says:

Gomez is a scapegoat?

For what? His own poor performance?  The poor performance of his linemates (no matter who they put with him)?

Pffffftttt…..   You don’t know what the word means.

I’ve been more right about Gomez’s worth than all of you Gomer-lovers. And sadly, I WILL be more right until he’s gone from our roster.  I know that drives you crazy.

——-

5. observer says:

Wiki – One of the most notorious moments of Kelley’s career came in the 1996–97 NHL season, while he was covering the Buffalo Sabres’ first round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators. After Sabres goaltender Dominik Hašek claimed to be injured with a knee pop in game three of the series, Kelley wrote a column the next day that accused Hašek of having “poor mental toughness.”[2] After game five of the series, Kelley approached Hašek for an interview. When he saw Kelley, Hašek unexpectedly yelled at him, pushed him and subsequently ripped his shirt off. He later issued a formal apology to Kelley, and was suspended three games and fined $10,000 for his actions.

6. SmartDog says:

Good job Ian.

——-

7. SmartDog says:

Woah!  I got the EXACT SAME LETTER.

What are the odds?  Weird.

——-

8. VancouverHab says:

To apply an apposite aphorism, “If Scott Gomez walked on water, the Montreal media and many H-I/O posters would sneer that he couldn’t swim.”

It could be a ratings bonanza, if marketed properly. Might even produce some great hockey.

It just goads me to think that when you say Red Wings in the finals I don’t flinch. Talk about a great franchise. Unreal how they continue to be a great team year in and year out. That’s why I have a tough skin vis-a-vis the Habs. It is my humble opinion that the Habs are in a type of restructuring that will see them build a very strong team in the upcoming years, not unlike the Wings. As a Habs fan since ’73 it’s much better than clutching at straws hoping an 8th place finish will wield that anything can happen scenario that never happens, well, excluding last year. The thing about last year is that I see it as being a stepping stone in the right direction. Right now in the East I see Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia and Montreal as being all candidates to go to the finals. I especially like the intra-conference grudge matches. It seems like too long ago when I actually had faith the Habs could go 4 rounds.

10. observer says:

Former Yankee many World Series winning infielder from Mickey Mantle days – Gil Mac Dougall also died the other day from cancer.

Someday Chris, you will come to understand one day, the difference between passive permissive and taking a stand. When one is right, one fights in every way possible.

12. observer says:

Do you not think CBC has got thousands of complaints about Cherry over the years? But allows him to stay on because his ratings are high and they’re afraid he’ll just move to TSN and they’ll lose those fans?

13. habs365 says:

maybe a so,so, defenseman..sure don’t help in the stats

TIMO–I got a call today from the CBC Ombudsman, and we talked for about half hour. He is going to carry my concerns about Cherry to the executives who will be interested in my complaints. I will be getting a reply from them.

15. VancouverHab says:

Amen! Testify, brother!

(I too was going to comment on the …uhm, impolitic…. use of a judgement by TSN (!) as a point against, rather than as it seems to me for, Gomez, but refrained because SD had — not unreasonably — objected to people picking out single parts of his posts.)

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I watched the Blackhawks all last season and their entire SCF run when the Habs weren’t playing. I’ve seen him play plenty of times.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I cannot believe that there are scumbags out there that would rob a grieving wife at his funeral.

I
    hereby announce, that if anyone out there knows who the perpetrator is,
    and comes forward with the information that returns all the stolen
    property and convicts the person or persons responsible.

I will pay $10,000.00 reward.

18. mbplekfan says:

If we wait till the end of the year we could just sign him. He isnt going to play in MTL this year but maybe Hamilton could use him. Defencemen take longer to develop, sometimes till 26-27 so he still has time to develop.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

I want Red Wings-Canadiens for a SCF this year, people talk about Stanley Cup classics, let’s have a real one and get something that’ll have Red Fisher so sentimental he’ll forget he hates Carey Price.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. MTLForever says:

is that a joke…

Bettman has nightmares about the Habs winning the Cup with team defense.

It boils down to this. Habs fans need one of two things and if they can’t have one they will have the other. The one thing they want is a league leading scorer. Now since they can’t have that they have the other thing they covet, and that is the scape-goat. Enter Gomez. In the minds of Habs fans, you hear me Lou Lamoriello, you can just insert a super-star, like say Ilya Kovalchuck, into any team and the goals will start flowing and the wins will pour in like strawberry wine just as fast as you can chemistry. As everybody knows, you can just throw money around, ahem Glen Sather, and build a championship team lickety-split.

Of course. Waive Gomez. Free agents will come running to play for the Habs right away. Once Gomez is gone the Habs will have all this cash to sign the bestest most awesomest centre in the galaxy. Oh no I got it. Let’s trade Gomez instead. Yeah that’ll show Sather that he is not the most cunning man alive.

Scott Gomez has gone to the dance 3 times, winning twice. He was a major part of last season’s playoff run. Gomez knows what it takes to go deep in the playoffs and that cognitive awareness is invaluable to a team. I’d say moreso than personal stats, especially when the team is winning.

23. Say Ash says:

Remember that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? That’s where your case is being “filed”.

24. JD_ says:

After seein’ the final score of the Chicago v St-Louis game, went to check the game stats out of curiosity.

St-Louis: 5 goals on 26 shots (v Crawford).

Chicago: 7 goals on 24 shots (v Conklin).

An incredible 12 goals on a total of 50 shots.

Aye-f*****’-carumba.

25. Seps says:

Its pointless we have so many good D in the AHL that will be ready very soon.

He can’t. God did not bless him with opposable thumbs.

Yeah… there is a “case”, alright :)

28. Kaptain K says:

Hey guys, check out this video of a lip dub done here in our very own Cote-St-Luc by my fellow EMS volunteers!

29. diehardhab says:

By the sound of all this we will be lucky if this is resolved by 2020. talk about due process!

The torch be yours to hold it high!

Hahah… got a response from CRTC to my complain about Cherry’s attacks on Subban. Wow… I feel a little lame.

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC.

It’s the broadcasters themselves – not the CRTC – who are responsible for the programming they provide.  This is spelled out in the Broadcasting Act.  Our job is to make sure broadcasters have acted responsibly – and to hold them accountable for their programming when it’s called for.

In order to follow this matter, I am asking the CBC, by copy of this message, to respond directly to you within three weeks and to send us a copy of its reply for review by Commission staff.  I am also asking that it hold a tape of the broadcast in question until your case is resolved.  You will hear from us again if any regulatory action is required.

Your complaint and all related correspondence will be placed on the licensee’s public file at the end of three weeks.  The Commission may review it at licence renewal time and interested parties may consult the file at any time.  In accordance with your rights under the Privacy Act, you may refuse to have your correspondence placed on such a file.  If that is the case, please contact us within three weeks of the date of this response by clicking on the link provided below, by mail, fax or telephone, quoting the reference number.  Please note that the Commission may not be able to pursue your complaint if all correspondence cannot be made public.”

31. RJB says:

Kelley, who was diagnosed with cancer around a year ago, wrote an article and sent it in to sportsnet today, and died this evening. Professional to the very end. Always loved his work, fantastic journalist.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

32. diehardhab says:

Lol Leafs

The torch be yours to hold it high!

33. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow Toronto totally blew that lead. 9 seconds left for God’s sake!

34. punkster says:

Shout out to SmartDog…the Gomez conversation continues!

Just read your response from last night and I’ve got to say…chill Dawg, please! First, I know you never suggested anything dumb about Price or Pleks last year. Martin, maybe, but who didn’t. And I don’t name call. And the only dog I ever put down was suffering from cancer and diabetes and I cried for hours. That’s besides the point.

The point, Pup, is that every year scapegoats are identified, vilified and blamed for every Habs hockey evil. I use Price, Pleks and Martin as examples of past goats who are present heroes. You can’t expect the ongoing Gomez trashing to go unchallenged. You and many others believe Gomez is a problem. I and many others disagree. You say the league knows he’s a problem. I say…wha??? Where’s this come from? You say TSN mentions Gomez as the one fly in the Montreal ointment. I say, who gives a rats behind what the Toronto Sports Network says? Finally, you say you’ll be more right about his talent or lack thereof. I say I’ll be more right about his talent.

If you’re going to continue to sing the anti-Gomez song you have to expect a chorus of pushback from somewhere. I don’t and won’t trash you, insult you, call you names or pee on your lawn. I have and will toss you a cookie when I agree with you. Just don’t expect me to agree with everything you say. And on the subject of Gomez…I disagree!

Now pass the salt please and try not to drop it on the way ;)

35. Seps says:

Well, we see Hossa two very different ways, you look at stats and facts, I look at the play and that’s ok.

36. ProHabs says:

Wow that is a shocker. He didn’t seem that old. Used to listen to him quite often on Bob Macowen on Sportsnet. As for the Habs considering Brian Lee who was put on waiver, would be a good gamble I think at a depth defenceman.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah but don’t worry. Enjoy the moment. Leaf fans are hurting and anyway the Broonz will f**k up those prospects as they always do. Remember, that poo coloured jersey with the big B on the front turns hockey players into losers.

38. habstrinifan says:

If he lasts till our turn then sure. Small salary and base don draft position some pedigree. One never knows with high draft choices like these… he may become a steal.

39. habaholic68NJ says:

Anyone going to the Habs-Devils game on thursday at the Prudential Center?  I will be in section 9 and would love to meet-up with HIO posters before the game.

40. otter649 says:

Sportswriter & broadcaster Jim Kelley from Buffalo has passed away from cancer – I enjoyed his perspectives on hockey (non Leaf slant) on radio The Fan 590. RIP Mr Kelley……

41. SeriousFan09 says:

It hurts Habs fans more than Leafs fans because we know what this really means, Chiarelli gets up on the Podium and proudly selects in the Top 3.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Last season, CHI had the 4th-best PK in the league and that featured Hossa as well but I guess he can only be judged by single seasons.

I never called Hossa a superstar, he has star-quality though considering the criteria you can apply to that but he is certainly not a 1-dimensional player, not by any NHL analyst with credibility. Hossa is one of the best RWs in the NHL and does play in all situations, under multiple teams so coachs with much, much more knowledge than us must see hm as a two-way player.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

43. habaholic68NJ says:

i have to admit it.  Though my head was hoping the leafs would prevent TB from picking up 2 points, my heart was not into it. In fact, I actually took pleasure seeing the leafs choke in the last 10 seconds of regulation and early in the OT.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

St.Louis ties it with 9 seconds left. Gagné wins it in OT.

That’s gotta hurt.

In 12/13 Gomez cap hit is 7.357 million but his actual salary is 5.5 million. That’s when he’s a tradeable assett.

Malkin and Crosby although not as bad as Ovechkin’s and Lecavalier’s contracts still add up to 8.7 million each, so that’s 17.4 million together. Maybe I exaggerated a bit but still that’s almost a 3rd of the total payroll. They wont be able to hold onto both of them after 13/14 and they are looking thin in the drafting department. No worries, they can tank again for a few years while Canadian fans pay their players and the Pittsburgh fans get to pay 100$ for 4 front row seats including 4 hot-dogs, 4 beers and free parking.

Gomez was still second in scoring last season and played big minutes in the playoffs. It’s getting stupid. By that I mean all the Gomez complaining. Whatever. It’s what Habs fans do. The only thing that will shut you all up is Gomez elevating his game. Nevertheless, it’s what JM, BG and PG think that matters so all I can do is just read all the Gomez bashing and sift through them to find the good comments.

46. DearyLeary says:

Agreed. I think that giving Max a couple games here and there to compete with Lapierre, Moen, and Darche would be good for everyone.

47. JohnBellyful says:

Stoopid Leafs! And to think I was cheering for ‘em. Stoopid me!

48. MTLForever says:

Leafs couldn’t hold on to a lead…lose in OT, welcome back Gagne.

49. notbigbird says:

He’s a big disappointment in Ottawa and has been sitting for a long time now. Somebody else (Hale?) passed him as sixth defenseman. Maybe he’s their O’B. We’ve had some luck with their other castoff — Picard.

50. joeybarrie says:

Toronto SUCKS……

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

51. The M says:

Those are some bleu-blanc-et-rouge glasses you have on there.

Gomez has sucked, he’s on pace for six goals. Granted i think he’ll pick it up and finish with fifty points and probably over ten goals, but not by much.  Kovalchoke has sucked too and that’s a ridiculous contract but the Habs scenario with Gomez’s contract plus his terrible production… he’s also an untradeable player.

Why would any team pick up one of the worst contracts in hockey to make it to the cap floor? There’s other ways to make it to the cap floor than acquiring  Gomez and his horrible contract.  He is not a tradeable asset until the last year of his contract near the trade deadline.

Pyatt is speedy, but he’s not the reincarnation of Bob Gainey, because he’s a tiny forward who can play penalty kill minutes, and Pyatt has zero to little offensive potential.  He’s a player who will always have trouble holding onto a roster spot in the NHL.

Malkin and Crosby make about $1.5m more than Gomez.  They will also produce, in a worst case scenario, about twice as many points.  Their contracts are hardly crippling.  Any team would take those contracts as it comes with a dominating first line centre.  I’d guess the Pens would gladly resign both of those players today to those contracts.  Considering Malkin and Crosby are franchise players entering the prime of their careers their contracts are hardly crippling.

No matter what way you look at it, Gomez is an overpaid centre and the Habs will have no cap relief from him unless they (Wade Redden) waive him in the future.

52. habstrinifan says:

How’s everyone doing? Just ”chiiling’ fighting a cold till Wednesday. Hope we dont take Edmonton too lightly and dont come out and lay an egg which seems to be the pattern after long layoff.

Like the news re prospects and the discussion re possible pickups. We do need a big D.

53. Seps says:

And btw Chicago doesn’t have a good PK they’re ranked 25th in the league, so just because Hossa is on the PK doesn’t mean it’s a good fit, not that the ranking is all his fault.

54. Seps says:

Ok, I didn’t mean it was all his fault and Hossa lost both those years in the Cup finals, he has one now but there was no way Chicago was losing to Philly.  Does Hossa go out of his way to block shots?  Does he have grit?  Heart?  He may take on defensive roles but that is simply good positioning, it does not make him any more than a one dimensional player.  Two dimensional players are the guys who can battle in the corners, who will take a hit to make a play, players who will dive to block a shot in one end then score in the other.  Hossa is just another one of those soft european players whose main concern is the other net although that’s how it should be for him because that is what he’s paid to do.

On a side note Gretzky was mainly a one dimensional player as well. Just because you’re a one dimensional player, it doesn’t make you garbage and I never said that it did.  Gretzky was a very talented player.

And thinking Hossa is a superstar right now, as he was injured for the second time this year already, is so far off I can’t believe you think that, because I normally don’t mind the things you say.

55. otter649 says:

The Avs picked up Matt Hunwick (D) from Boston yesterday for prospect Colby Cohen (D) – (similar to the O’Bryne trade) & then traded Hannan to Washington with the salaries of their two pickups the same more or less as Hannan………..

Hell yeah. Maybe the Habs can trade him for a 5’8″ French Canadian prospect projected to be a solid two-way 3rd line centre, in the AHL. Just kidding. Looks like he’s a little big to be playing on the Habs. Not sure how the rest of the team will feel having to look up to more than just Gill now.

57. The M says:

why not? their depth on D is thin, he is on a one year contract (i think)t, he could maybe use a change of scenery…

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Why not? Keep piling up the 2005 Top 10 picks I say, sooner or later we’ll have Bobby Ryan and Sidney Crosby at the rate we’re going :D

Habs can’t be hurt by it, lets them retain a 7th defencemen and allows them to send Weber back to the minors so he can play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

59. sholi2000.com says:

They Call Me Shane

You think? Nah. I was being very, very sarcastic.

In reality though I am also fed up with the Gomez fixation. For example, he hasn’t sucked as hard as Kovalchuck has sucked. I’ve been watching Gomez closely and I don’t feel any discomfort or frustration with him. Gomez’ contract is what it is. So is Hammer’s.

Ask yourselves this. What is he worth? 4 maybe, 5 million. What could the Habs really do with that extra million or so. People have nothing to bitch about so it’s Gomez and his crippling contract. Hardly. You want to see crippling, look to the swamp. Look at Tampa Bay. Even Ovechkin’s contract is ridonculous. Pen’s with both Malkin and Crosby. Hello. Gomez is on the books for 14 more months give or take a few playoff rounds, at that point he is a tradeable assett for teams looking to make it to the salary floor. At the time BG picked him up not much else was available and given the type of team BG and JM are building Gomez fits right in. Gomez (+ Pyatt the speedy reincarnation of Bob Gainey) was also acquired for what amounts to a washed-up drunk, an enigmatic russian and blue chip prospect with a a few more cracks in it than chips.

I still like him on the team. And I don’t miss Saku.

61. sholi2000.com says:

Last I heard he’ll be ready for the 2014 Games……I kid I kid!

They Call Me Shane

62. Duracell3 says:

In researching he played 5 games for my junior team is 03-04 so yes~!

63. hasboon says:

Brian Lee is on waivers

6’2 RH shot 23 years old former 9th overall pick

should habs pick him up?

64. JohnnyBEast says:

Sorry, that’s what I meant, they’re in the camp of 40. I think Gallagher has an outside chance of making the team. I saw him have a 4 point night here in Kelowna back in October.

65. mbplekfan says:

Pacioretty leads the Dogs in shots on goal. He is finally learning how to get to the scoring lanes. If we can let him finish the season in Hamilton he should be ready for the big league next year.

I would love to see a Pouliot-Eller-Pacioretty line. Nice size for a change.

66. Malreg says:

If O’Byrne easily replaced Hannan, then how useful could Hannan really be to Washington?

67. Bill says:

She’s been with Russell Brand: I’d take glove side, myself.

Full Breezer 4 Life

68. Bill says:

I honestly think you’re just a contrarian. Which is okay. But Gomez has sucked hard this season, and to say the contract doesn’t matter … how could it not??

Full Breezer 4 Life

I like that The authentic store is commetted in dicount replica * from china.

What’s more, they have Network customer service reps waiting to pounce, er, I mean assist you in making a decision.

Who can say no to Hello, welcome your consultation, what can help you?

Makes me feel like I’m in a shopping mall in Mississauga!!!

On another note, I tried the ginseng tea and now I have hair growing out of my teeth. Good times!!! ;-)

70. Mark says:

And Katy Perry’s performing. I know she’s not that great of a singer, but boy oh boy would I love to score on her five hole.

They don’t need Hannan now that they have O’Byrne. Maybe they’ll sign MAB next.

He’s pacing himself. It’s a marathon remember.

You’ll all be lauding Gomez when he scores the Stanley Cup winning goal.

“Oh, Gomez we all knew you were worth it. Oh, Gomez sign for a kazillion dollars.”

:p

Robert – This move cost Washington about 1M in pro-rated cap space.  Both players are UFAs this summer and there’s no way that the Caps could re-sign both Semin and Fleischmann.  They addressed an area of weakness with a veteran and didn’t have to do it through the higher cost of a trade deadline deal.  I guess they’re hoping that one of their young guys ( Perreault/Johansson) will be able to fill the gap up front.

Regardless, none of these UFA guys will be coming back next year so it’s a good Chicago like move.

It’s pretty clear to me after reading all these posts that if the Habs didn’t have Gomez on the team the NHL would award the Stanley Cup to the Habs today. He’s the obvious reason the Habs are not 24-0-0.

Yeah. Let’s bench Gomez so we can look like a bunch of amateurs too. Yeah that’ll make Martin seem like he’s not a novice rookie coach.

We’re not stuck with Gomez. We have Gomez as an integral part of a Stanley Cup contender. Get used to it. He isn’t going anywhere, except to the net, soon, this season sometime, we all hope.

Halpern is getting pushed to being 4th on the depth chart. Unless Eller starts winning 60% of his face-offs and starts scoring at a point per game pace Gomez is 2nd on our depth chart. If Gomez is 3rd on our team then that means we are strong up the middle.

Face it SD. You’re sounding like a broken record. Even before the skip the tracks were monotoneous. Now it’s just a repetitive drone. Maybe you should include 47%, 88 points and standing pat in your posts, because you’re entering Tony territory lately.

76. Just A Guy says:

Sometimes I quietly root for the leafs, after all they are a Canadian team.. that if sucks to much will make Boston better through the draft. Don’t get me wrong I like healthy competetion, I just like the competeting better when the habs win…

77. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Rooting for the Leafs is like hoping the souvlaki and smoked meat are going to come up after that ninth beer on a Thursday night. Unpleasant, but on occasion, practical.

It sounds like a cookies and/or cache issue. I recommend clearing/deleting them. You might want to clear any stored passwords too especially if you are using them to log in. If that doesn’t work then I would recommend trying a different browser, the best are IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. If you get the same thing using other browsers it could be your user profile on the computer is corrupt and if using another account you are getting the same thing then, and we’re getting into twlight zone territory here, it could be a setting on a router, highly unlikely, but I thought Id’ cover every possibility, or at least the most obvious. Clearing your cache (and restoring defaults) 9 times out of 10 solves any browser issue.

79. Habscore says:

Hey guys ! I really need some help here. I have not been able to post anything at all for the last 2 months or so….everytime I log on and then access a thread I immediately get logged off. Therefore, I can only read posts but cannot post because I’m not logged on anymore. It drives me nuts!! Anybody knows what’s the problem? Is it an option Ive changed somewhere in my laptop?? What is it?? Please!?

PS. Ill be lucky if this even gets posted!!

……………………………………………………………….

YES HABS CAN!!

80. habaholic68NJ says:

Open a second (temporary) account and see if you can maintain a post on that account.

81. ooder says:

try a different browser..maybe u disabled cookies

——————

88 is the new 23

82. VancouverHab says:

Delete all your browsing history in Internet Explorer, close all open browser windows and tabs, and then relaunch. Make sure you are using IE and not some vanity browser.

83. SmartDog says:

Um….. if you can’t post, how did you post?

If still having problems, try other browsers or other machines.  That will tell you if it’s something on your computer or your account.  If you have the same problems on another computer, it’s the account which means you either have to write HIO (could take awhile to resolve if at all) or just start a new account (you need a different email address for that).

——-

Clearing the history wont do it. It’s more than likely a corrupted cookie; they are used as session handlers to keep people logged in, even after the browser is closed. Clearing the cache and cookies is the way to go. It could be an history issue of she is using a deprecated link, unlikely though and I can’t see how that would affect the log in session. It’s probably not a bad idea to clear the history too, but that’s more cosmetic than necessary.

85. VancouverHab says:

In IE, “Delete Browsing HISTORY… Cntrl+Shift+Del” = Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History…

86. VancouverHab says:

I love “Rockin’ the Filmore” — my vote for the greatest live album. Humble Pie’s studio albums seemed a bit flat to me (with exceptions for certain elite cuts like ‘Shine On,’ ‘Groovin’ with Jesus,’ ‘Thirty Days in the Hole,’ etc.)

I should give early GFR a listen one of these days, since you say they’re worth it….

87. andrewberkshire says:

Out of curiosity, why endores IE and what exactly is a vanity browser?

88. Clay4bc says:

No doubt – using IE is a recipe for disaster. You might as well just put viruses on your computer yourself, and save the middle man. I haven’t used IE in years, and am better for it. Anyone who says to use it clearly knows NOTHING about computers.

And for anyone who disagrees with me, that’s great – but please do some research before voicing it. You will be surprised.

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

89. VancouverHab says:

Dear Clay: Well, I’ve been (on one side of my life) an IT specialist, private industry & academia, for (gulp!) 31 years, so I’ve done “some research.” Your statement is about quotidian browser use: however, what is being talked about here is troubleshooting, which obviously has different functional rationale.

(Now to answer also Andrew’s question:) When troubleshooting blind, in any field, the first step has to be the highest probability. In the case of web access, that means browser, and (a.) the highest percentage will be Windows over Apple, and (b.) because IE is integrated with the O/S it has the least layers to add complexities, thus (c.) IE is always the rational first troubleshooting choice.

(IE can of course be the problem in principle, but that always against the percentages: and so it must always be the default first-use rational step. When I go to my doctor with a cough, her first troubleshooting (i.e. rationally probabalistic) step is a chest-cold, not lung cancer–which of course does not mean that I don’t have lung cancer, just that she’d be a bad doctor if her first step was to give me chemotherapy instead of NyQuil.)

“Vanity browsers” in the sense of “vanity publishers”–capitalist-market-place browsers that (frequently) amateur computer users trumpet as a way of presenting themselves as “in-the-know”: in the way that, back in the day, rock music snobs (cough-me-cough) would trumpet obscure bands (Mott the Hoople) as a way of likewise presenting themselves as obviously superior to the dominant corporate bands…(Abba.)

So, I don’t endorse IE (or any other) browser for regular use, but it must be the first-step choice in blind troubleshooting.

90. Clay4bc says:

Dear Whateveryournameis (you didn’t write it): Mott the Hoople was OK, but Humble Pie was way better, IMO. Grand Funk Railroad was great as well…

Aside from that…you are seriously engaging in an exercise of overintellectualization in this matter. I’m still amazed that you got from “browsers” to “cancer” in your analogy. It boggles the mind why you chose to go that route. And throwing out “quotidian” like that, instead of just saying “everyday” or “ordinary”, or some such thing…lol. Well done, truly. Very amusing. You are free to use IE all you want, and with my blessing – I don’t really care. I just hope no one else does, because it’s a crap browser. If you were in IT, I’m guessing it was 20 years ago, or more.

However (and unlike you), I will endorse a browser. Firefox. Use it in conjunction with NoScript and Adblock Plus, and you will have a safe browsing experience. No vanity in this answer either. Just sense.

__________________________

What do you propose? The Habs can’t move until they are certain as to the extent of Markov’s injury. I prefer they make a well informed decision rather than a knee-jerk one.

92. DearyLeary says:

Without knowing the full extent of Markov’s injury they didn’t rush out and negotiate a deal from a position of weakness.

Hannan is a valuable D-man, to get an inconsistent Fleischmann to cover for losing Stewart doesn’t feel like a good depth move to me.

93. volcano62 says:

Colorado has always fixed a problem and made themselves better. Roy, Fleury, Bourque, Kariya….the list goes on.

94. ctony says:

It takes two teams to trade, I’m sure the Caps liked the D-help and the Avs liked the offensive potential.  We should poll the HI/O crowd to see who they (we) think won this deal…

It’s more of a Tony tradition to question every non-move the Habs don’t make. Remember standing pat? Hannan is so good O’Byrne bumped him out of a spot. Sounds like a Sergei Kostitsyn for Boyd trade. Two nobodies equaling nothing.

96. ctony says:

Agree – sort of.  Fliesch isn’t a savior, BUT… The Avs gain  $2.5 million in cap space for future deals and move a blah defenseman for a player that could offer some offensive upside…  Ironic that Boone posted about Spacek.  Moving him for a arguable top 6 forward and saving cap space would be a winning deal in my books.

97. HabFanSince72 says:

The Avs are losing money, and so have one of the lowest payrolls in the league. They already had $16M of cap space.

I know that it’s a HI/O tradition to say of every single player who is traded that we let him slip through our hands, but come on. Fleischmann is a soft forward who has been  a healthy scratch this season and who was invisible in the playoffs last year.

98. Bugs says:

Something utterly mind-blowing happened to me today. I was witness to something I hadn’t seen since the what, the early 90s I think, and something I thought never to see again since the passage of time affects all things, but there it was regardless, in super quadrophonic cinemavision.

A KICK-ass Steven Seagal movie. I couldn’t BELIEVE what I was seein. I was LITERALLY clapping my hands in uber-shocked glee.

Wrist-snappin, forearm-breakin throws against glass shelving-units? There in spades. Hardcore (and I mean “hardcore”) clotheslines that send their victims crashing to the floor? You got’em. front-kicks to the sternum? Uh-huh. Knees in the crotch while chop-socking in close? Yup. Signature strangulation from behind leading to neck pops? Oh yeah. It’s never looked as BRUTAL since the “Hard to Kill – Out for Justice” period, swear to gosh, it’s like you’ve died and gone to heaven. When you make direct-to-video, ain’t no censoring comittee to worry about, knowumsayin?

Besides “the girl”, there is LITERALLY not one “innocent” person in this flick. Baddies waging war against baddies. So no need to feel bad about ANYBODY; they’re ALL scum (except Stevie of course; he’s a NICE mass-murderer). Cool thing is, believe it or not, the actors are GOOD, the fights are numerous, the choreography is FULL-CONTACT bloody, and the script ISN’T terrible. Ok, it’s not great, but it’s not terrible and for Seagal, that’s sayin a hell of a lot. There’s a scene where the Russian boss threatens the dirty cops and oh…oh, it was beautiful, just beautiful.

Did I mention that Stevie tosses some baddies into heavy machinery? Yeah, there’s some of that too.

If you dig on wholesale brutality against scum and always thought deep-down that Seagal was the baddest of’em all, your favourite esquire completely endorses “A Dangerous Man” as ICE CREAM FOR FREAKS.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

99. Propwash says:

Dude, Segal got old and fat, like FAT kinda fat.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

100. Bugs says:

Yup. And ever since “Under Siege 2″, which had some good effects, a good baddie, and also a miscast Bogosian to laugh at, it’s been pile’o'poop after pile’o'poop. Heck, even his Michael CAINE movie was an insulting farce.

But then, 15 years later, he made THIS movie.

Which is SHOCKINGLY entertaining.

A Canadian flick, btw.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

101. Propwash says:

I’ll give it a shot

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

102. SmartDog says:

Laffs are leading with a minute to play and end up losing in overtime.

Man, those guys can’t do anything right.

——-

103. shiram says:

They are pretty good at losing, and its a nice shade of blue they got on their uniforms.
    Trying to be positive here you know?

104. fuhgawz says:

i think he has another 800 games in him i just hope the other 800 are with the laffs

Come on man… Spach is a good guy… he just needs about 12-15 mins per game.

106. aemarchand11 says:

Why? so he can shut down our offense when the game is on the line? You seem to have a short memory, was it not the Spacek and Hamrlik combination who was up against the oppositions best 5v5 and on the PK?

2010-2011

107. 123456 says:

boone / stubbs et al. are the sabres really for sale or not??

108. HabFanSince72 says:

Why – you got some spare change you need to spend?

109. avatar_58 says:

Uhh…Kadri is the leafs #1 centre? They bitch and moan about his ‘entitled’ attitude yet he gets the #1 spot with only a few NHL games under his belt??

Unreal….like a circus over there. Say one thing do another

110. DearyLeary says:

You should hear the media.  It’s a riot over here.

Makes me glad to know we’ve got managment/coaches who have a spine and stand up for their approach to building a franchise.

111. ctony says:

Capitals traded forward Tomas Fleischmann to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for veteran defenceman Scott Hannanhttp://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=343513

Fleischmann would have been a nice pick up.  Hannan is 32 years old and has a $4.5 million contract for the rest of the year (UFA at the end of the season).  Fleischmann only has 10 points in 23 games (so, Gomez-type bashers would have had a field day with him), but started as the Caps #2 centre, had 51 points in 69 games last year, makes $2.6m and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Can’t help but think that Colorado made this deal after adding depth through the OB trade from us…

sigh.

112. HabFanSince72 says:

Do you remember Fleischmann in last year’s playoffs? I think he was completely shutout by us. In any case he was a huge no-show. Precisely what we don’t need.

113. JD_ says:

No need to sigh. You probably can’t help but think that Colorado made this deal after addin’ depth through the OB trade because Colorado made this deal after addin’ depth through the OB trade.

114. habs001 says:

we are no 1 in goals against….we are 23rd in goals for (same as we finished last year)…pk we are 2nd..pp we are 20th…so far the lack of scoring has not hurt us in the standings but we need to improve the pp and increase scoring a bit more….lack of scoring can really hurt in a playoff series as we could be tied 1-1,2-2 in most games in the playoffs in the third with 10 minutes left and just as easily as you can win 4 games in a row you can be ousted in 4 games as there is no margin for error,bad bounce or flukey goal…

115. mbplekfan says:

Going to wade into the Gomez debate. Dont want to but cant help it.

Gomez is having a terrible season. It happens. Will it carry on all season? Probably not. But even at his best Gomez is overpaid. He is at best a $5mill center.

That being said, he is ours for the next few years as no-one else will be in a position to absorb that contract. The CBA expires this year but Im of the opinion that it will be kept on for another year as there is no alternative and no appetite for a work stoppage.

Gomez is sucking right now, but we have no option but to let him play through it. He cant be benched. Besides Eller there is no one else to take his icetime and produce. He is ours to live with.  BG couldnt have known that Pleks was going to become as good as he was, and he certainly didnt expect PK to be this good this soon. Halak also came on and brought in a pretty good player in return.

This team was supposed to be mediocre with an overpaid Gomez leading the way. The problem is the rest of the team came together and got good. Now the Gomez contract is seen to be holding us back from becoming an elite team.

If Gomez can elevate his game this team could achieve something, but if he continues to suck we will be easier to defend against and remain unable to defeat the top teams in 7 game series.

116. db says:

Agreed, well except on Pleks.. I think BG was one of the few that always believed in him.

Nobody is talking about Cammy right now are they?  Regardless, I’m a fan and I’ll support the team and every individual.

117. SmartDog says:

He cant be benched.

Kovalchuk can be benched.  Ovechkin can be benched. But Gomez CAN’T?

Besides Eller there is no one else to take his icetime and produce.

First of all, there is Halpern who is already producing more points.  And second, when you say there is no one to take his place “and produce” I can’t help but laugh.  Produce!?  He’s producing?  What?  The man is on pace for under 30 points.

The “we’re stuck with Gomez BS and there’s nothing we can do  KILLS ME!  Maybe we ARE stuck with him but to tolerate his seriously sucky play without action is RIDICULOUS.  Martin has to change something.  And he will, just watch.

——-

118. otter649 says:

The Avs lost one of their top forwards Chris Stewart with a hand injury suffered in a fight & is out 6 to 8 weeks.

119. ctony says:

… and made a decent deal right away.  we lost markov, watched our PP slow, and sat around…

120. GrimJim says:

On what planet do you watch hockey? “It can be done”?? The GM who trades Jeff Carter for Gomez is the GM who’s looking for work shortly after. The only way it gets done is if the Habs throw in MAxPAc, Tinordi and possibly White. The days of Sam Pollock using his 25 years experience to completely rook the expansion team GMs are over. Stop expecting the freakin’ moon. ANd yeah, the 29 other GMS are falling all over themselves to trade a “Hero with bad ass size and a Howitzer” for an 35-year-old number 3 defenceman.

And leave the freakin Molson’s out of the hockey operations. One way Ballard killed the Leafs was he started trading the players he didn’t like instead of keeping his paws off the team. The Yankees championship drought of the 80s started when Steinbrenner tried playing GM. And need I mention Al DAvis and the Raiders – there’s 30 years of epic fail for you. Owners are (should be) experts at running a business, not assessing hockey talent. Let the owners hire the guy to run the hockey operations, define the expectations for (in the Habs case) the VPs performance, and then step back and let him work. And then if he doesn’t meet those expectations, figure out why and fix it. That’s how you run a successful franchise.

Where were the Molson’s when Pollock ran the Habs? Oh yeah, IN THE FREAKIN SENATE! Where was BAllard – he was living in Maple Leaf Gardens.

Ever think Tony reincarnated a few thousand times?

HI/O member for: 2 weeks 13 hours

122. ctony says:

I wasn’t an OB fan.  Question(s), if we still had him, do you think we could have picked up Fleischmann for OB right now?  Would you have wanted Fleisch?

123. JohnBellyful says:

I got a confession to make. I think I’m going to … to … root for the Leafs tonight. Just because they’re playing Tampa, who’s two points behind the Habs, making the foe of my foe my [temporary] friend. Still, I want it to be a sloppy game, with mistakes galore by both teams — and a few long-term injuries thrown in; there I’ve said it — and the outcome to be decided on an outrageous giveaway in the final minute.

But there’s no getting around the fact that I, a lifelong Habs fan, will be cheering on the Leafs. Does that make me a bad person?

124. SeriousFan09 says:

No, just someone who doesn’t want Burke’s mistake to give Boston another option to select a franchise player in the draft.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

125. SmartDog says:

You make perfect sense.  Rooting for the Leafs tonight is anti-Bolts and anti-Bruins.

Go Leafs!!

AAARRGGHHHHH!!!!….aaaaaccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!

——-

126. rocketsglare says:

Actually, it makes you a good Habs fan. Anything that helps the team in the standings is worthy of

fan support.

127. JF says:

I confess that I cheer for the leafs quite often – every time they play Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and, this year, the Rangers (who are doing much better than I thought they would).  Besides, there’s no sense in hoping the leafs totally suck; it just means Boston will get another lottery pick.  The ideal would be for the leafs to finish 9th or 10th, out of the playoffs but far enough from the bottom that their first-round pick won’t automatically be a gem.

128. HabFanSince72 says:

Tampa are much more hate-worthy than the Laffs.

They are, quite simply, everything that is wrong with this league. Bettman’s pet franchise (after Pittsburgh). Tank while getting financially bailed out by the Canadian teams, draft great players and come back to challenge for the Stanley Cup. I always cheer against them.

129. rocketsglare says:

Hope the Habs don’t take lightly the Oilers tomorrow night. These are 2 important pts. that you can’t

squander away.

130. TomNickle says:

I really wouldn’t mind the Leafs finishing 6th in the conference.  That is a pipe dream though.

Hopefully they finish 9th.

131. lenny says:

What do the Leafs and the Titanic have in common?

A:  They both look good until they hit the ice.

What’s the difference between the Toronto Maple Leafs
    and a cigarette vending machine?

A: The vending machine has Players!

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and whales have in common?

A: They both get totally confused when surrounded by ice.

Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs like Canada Post?

A: They both wear uniforms and don’t deliver!

Why doesn’t Hamilton have an NHL team?
    A: Because then Toronto would want one…

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Argonauts and the Toronto Blue Jays all have in common besides being based in Toronto?
    A. None of them can play hockey.

What do you call 30 millionaires around a TV watching
    the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

A. The Toronto Maple Leafs.

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and Billy Graham have
    in common?

A. They both can make 20,000 people stand up and yell ‘Jesus Christ’.

How do you keep the Toronto Maple Leafs out of your yard?
    A.  Put up a goal net.

What do you call a Toronto Maple Leaf with a Stanley
    Cup ring?

A.  A thief.

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and possums have in common?
    A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

How many Toronto Maple Leafs does it take to win a
    Stanley Cup?

A.   Nobody knows … And we may never find out.

132. savethepuck says:

What’s blue and white and lives in the basement?

All Toronto sports teams

What do you do when the Leafs win the Stanley Cup?

Turn off your XBox

133. Say Ash says:

Same for Hammer. Markov made everybody better.

134. SmartDog says:

I get it… but I feel so dirty.

——-

135. JD_ says:

Don’t know about you, but I have a hankerin’ to buy a Super Bass-O-Matic ’76 from Jaroslav.

136. TomNickle says:

You can go to so many better SNL skits, come on JD.

137. SmartDog says:

Spacek would make an excellent Wild and Crazy Guy!

——-

138. TomNickle says:

Exactly what I was thinking.  Hamrlik doesn’t look like Steve Martin though.

139. JD_ says:

Heh. First thing that comes to mind when I see Spacek with his ‘stache is Aykroyd pitchin’ the Bass-O-Matic.

Have been a lifelong SNL watcher, all the way back to its genesis. Still record it on Saturday night and sift through it the next mornin’. Religiously. Only way to watch it. Back in the day, if I’d been away for a while, I’d have a few hours to chug through.

One of my all-time favourites remains this one. Will Ferrell at his very best.

140. Keith says:

To quote a phrase,”There is bitter bile in my throat.”