Spacek plays, Picard sits vs. Columbus

From Pat Hickey in Columbus:

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Dustin Boyd | Rick Nash | Mathieu Garon | Derick Brassard

Former Canadiens goalie Mathieu Garon will get the start tonight
for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Garon, who is a backup to Steve Mason, is 2-0
this season with a 1.61 GAA and .938 save percentage.

Both of his victories have come at home.

Despite our earlier report saying Jaroslav Spacek would miss Tuesday night’s game, that is not the case. He will play, meaning Ryan O’Byrne and Alexandre Picard will watch the game from the press box.

Head coach Jacques Martin says he spoke with Spacek and told him he is looking for more consistency from the veteran defenceman.

Up front, Dustin Boyd will be back in the lineup, on a line with Lars Eller and Maxim Lapierre.

1. habrez says:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of those guys. Like I said, we are way overdue.

2. habs365 says:

Gotta make a comment on the 2nd line surprise..surprise and I think I have this right..JM don’t wanna look bad by putting Gomez on the 3rd or 4th line because of his salary you’re probably all going… duh..but he don’t have a problem doing it to the players receiving a lower salary, that’s what you call double standard.

a coach with B—s would break up the 2nd line for a little while and see what happens..if he don’t get those players moving soon..the clock doesn’t stop ticking which means time is passing..this would be a good choice by JM..for the good of the team.

Try: pouliot..Eller..Gionta on the 2nd line  can’t do any worst than they’re doing now…. and just to mention the other 3 lines are doing good, also the defence and goaltending 98% of the time…. get a 2nd line that can score JM and this team will compete with anyone.

3. likehoy says:

max is only 21/22…of course he’d be scared of guys who are 20 pounds heavier than he is and in their prime.

like SF09 said, if max had proper AHL development, we’d see a different type of player.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

4. likehoy says:

max has some size and skill to be a solid 3rd or 2nd liner putting up between 40-60 points a year..nothing more can be expected out of him.

at best he could fill in a first line position during injuries

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

5. mike g says:

I think MTL’s lack of a true power forward has curved our evalutation of one…

A power forward is a strong, big, and physical player who will score 20+ goals and park his rear infront of the net, etc…

Max Pacioretty is not that.

Todd Bertuzzi was a power forward. Tomas Holmstrom, Scott Hartnell, Milan Lucic, Mike Knuble, and Ryan Clowe are other examples of current power forwards.

Max is too soft and affraid to do the dirty work in the NHL that those guys do. He’s not physically big/tough enough.

Let’s not lower our standars and put expectations on the kid to become something he’s not.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Here is where we place in a 30 team league this week.

Goal Against—–25.. We are in  6th place.    Last week we were in 5th.

Total Points——15.. We are in  3rd place.    Last week we were in 14th

Goals For———29.. We are in 15th place.    Last week we were in 26th

Not to shabby and 75% better than last years start.

For SUMMIT information.. Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

7. habrez says:

I know he was never labelled to be a sniper but as you mention everyone had him pegged as a ‘power forward.’ When I think of power forwards I think of Shanahan, Guerin, Neely, and nowadays Iginla, Nash, Carter, and Morrow. All these guys can score. Which is why I thought over the past few years of development we would see him netting a few more.

I love Pacioretty. Think he has a huge upside and will make a good 2nd liner for the Habs. Great speed as you mentioned and finishes his checks. I just would be a lot happier if he was scoring at a higher rate than 3 % while getting first line minutes with the Dogs. He will trun it around I’m sure and will get some time with the big club in the new year.

8. Say Ash says:

I’m no fan, but did he put up 30 points in the playoffs last year. The windmill fist-pump has got to go, though.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

His toughness didn’t apply when he was with MTL because when he first tried it Mike, he was bouncing off everyone because he was physically immature for the NHL. It intimidated him and so he softened his play over time, at first he was checking and going to the net but he just got bullied off of it after time.

I’ve seen him play in Hamilton, if he had been properly handled and played the 2008-09, 09-10 season with the Bulldogs we’d have at least a halfway decent power forward in him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. Hoegarden says:

Revving up Picard only to scratch him is not good for him nor is it for the Habs. He deserves better. Spak is mopping the ice looking for pucks, cannot hit has no speed. A night off in Columbus would have been perfect for him. Bad move by JM.

11. mike g says:

Briere in particular…

I knew he made a sh*tload of money, but when you crunch the numbers it’s crazy.

Beyond crazy, actually….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

12. mike g says:

Max is not a sniper…

Most people who think he is are wrong. When he came into the league 2 years ago, we labelled him as a future “power forward”, but he’s not that.

He doesn’t have great goalscoring abilities. And he’s not big in size or toughness.

He’s a fast skater who, if he ever cracks a top 6 role in this league, can maybe become a 20 goal scorer.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Pacioretty was meant more to be a power forward who’d crash the net, pure scorers we’re looking at Avtsin, Leblanc, Kristo, Dumont, Gallagher, in the talent pipeline and seeing what AK does this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. Mark C says:

What logic are you using? Martin has yet to discuss or remove Gomez from his regular line during practice, unlike Spacek. How does not benching Spacek have anything to do with benching Gomez? Gomez, at least publicly has yet to be considered for benching.

15. pic1983 says:

How bad could JM look? If Maclean can bench kovalchuk, JM can put gomez on the third.

16. habrez says:

Max Pacioretty is among the league leaders in shots (36 in 8 games) but only has one goal. Where’s that pure goal scorer I’ve been dreaming of that we are gonna develop from within. And I’m not talking about drafting the brother of a pure scorer (Marcel Hossa, Valeri Bure). We are way overdue.