Spacek plays, Picard sits vs. Columbus

From Pat Hickey in Columbus:

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Dustin Boyd | Rick Nash | Mathieu Garon | Derick Brassard

Former Canadiens goalie Mathieu Garon will get the start tonight
for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Garon, who is a backup to Steve Mason, is 2-0
this season with a 1.61 GAA and .938 save percentage.

Both of his victories have come at home.

Despite our earlier report saying Jaroslav Spacek would miss Tuesday night’s game, that is not the case. He will play, meaning Ryan O’Byrne and Alexandre Picard will watch the game from the press box.

Head coach Jacques Martin says he spoke with Spacek and told him he is looking for more consistency from the veteran defenceman.

Up front, Dustin Boyd will be back in the lineup, on a line with Lars Eller and Maxim Lapierre.

1. pic1983 says:

How bad could JM look? If Maclean can bench kovalchuk, JM can put gomez on the third.

2. fbkj says:

“If Price had started in New Jersey behind Brodeur 3 years ago (as a
    structural example only), he would probably be a great #1 by now and
    Brodeur would be gradually lightening his own workload.”

well no kidding, but those werent his circumstances

3. Bugs says:

I didn’t generalize anyone or anything. You misused the term “generalization”, I think.

Unless you can show me, please?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

4. habs365 says:

The best comment I’ve seen so far, I often wonder why Gainey stepped down

5. mjames says:

Things never change here. Critique a player or coach and you must hate them. Either that or you must be a dolt. First Commandment – “Super fans ” may not critique Habs player, coaches, management  or ownership.  If you do you are not a fan!. Get with program why don”t you.

mjames

6. LA Loyalist says:

I agree with you 100% on Gomez. Someone needs to give him a GPS.

With respect to Price, it’s management’s fault (Gainey) that he was rushed and not brought up carefully behind a veteran.

If Price had started in New Jersey behind Brodeur 3 years ago (as a structural example only), he would probably be a great #1 by now and Brodeur would be gradually lightening his own workload.

We are damn lucky Price is turning it around.

7. LA Loyalist says:

Sorry, double toast

8. LA Loyalist says:

Where’s the downside in trying different things? Our PP is terrible anyway. What are we giving up?

9. TomNickle says:

How is his contract stopping us from filling other holes?  Hamrlik and Spacek are holes in themselves and they aren’t criticized with the zeal that fans have in attacking Gomez.

Kristo being stuck at UND is a problem.  Emelin being in Russia is a problem.

You work around these things.  You adjust.  Gomez is an asset at the very least because he makes the hockey team better.  Would other players do a better job?  Probably.  But this isn’t a perfect world and you can’t have anybody you want.  Sometimes you have to settle for something.  You buy gasoline?  It’s expensive, but you need it.

You pay your hydro bill?  Yeah, because you need it.  Do you bitch and chew about how much money it costs?  Yeah.  But you still grind your teeth and pay for it.  Because you need it.

10. mjames says:

No, lack of results gets your demoted.

mjames

11. LA Loyalist says:

That’s kind of a circuitous argument in that the reason we can’t get a big winger is the money is tied up in nGomez.

It’s like having a car that needs an engine but you need to sell the car to afford the engine, but you can’t sell the car without an engine…

…even my head hurts just writing it.

12. Mattyleg says:

(opens mouth, pauses, closes mouth)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. TomNickle says:

Your generalization of people who called you a Price hater is no different.

I wanted Halak in net for the majority of the playoffs yet I’m not called a Price-hater.  I wanted Price long term but I’m called a Price-lover and Halak hater.

There’s no rhyme or reason to most of this.  The panic button is overworked.

14. LA Loyalist says:

The reason we keep coming back to this is that Gomez is like an injury that won’t heal. We’re stuck with him, he’s untradeable, and because of his contract we can’t fill other holes and there is no way I know of to get him off the books.

If he was $4m we probably wouldn’t be happy but it wouldn’t hand-cuff us.

And because he’s small and soft he can’t reinvent himself into a valuable 3/4 line checker as many scorer/playmaker types have done to extend their careers.

I have no problem with small players: Henri Richard, Mats Naslund, Doug Flutie, hell, Gio and Cammi are great. But we have too many of them and nGomez is not carrying his weight.

It’s a problem that’s not fixable, that why we keep coming back to it.

Plus I’m still pissed about the #11 thing.

15. LA Loyalist says:

Let’s trade nGomez for both of them.

16. LA Loyalist says:

it isn’t?

P.S. you get my vote for post of the jour.

17. Bugs says:

Those “numerous” people represent barely a fraction of the folks who wanted Halak at the job over the Kid and not a significant portion as some would have use believe.

It’s that very fact I’m talkin about: Gomie will never get it as bad as the Kid, and by extension, those of us accused of being Kid-haters got it much worse than whatever Pup is enduring.

So that’s why I say he should suck it up if us Halak-lovers managed to.

Spuriously furious, I swear as