Spacek out 4-6 weeks

Defenceman Jaroslav Spacek visited Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham Monday and received some good news. He needs arthroscopic surgery to “clean up” his right knee but should be back in the lineup in 4-6 weeks which means he should be available for the playoffs. Josh Gorges and Andrei Markov also made the trip to Birmingham for followups on their knee surgeries. Spacek said no decision has been made on where the surgery will be performed but it will be done before the end of the week. Coach Jacques Martin said the news on Spacek was welcome.

The Canadiens held an optiional morning skate. Martin said that Ryan White, who was reassigned to Hamilton  yesterday afternoon and then recalled two hours later, will be in the lineup tonight while Tom Pyatt will watch from the press box. Yannick Weber and Alexandre Picard will be the healthy scratches on defence,

Former Canadien Ben Maxwell is hoping to start for the Thrashers. He’s penciled in on a line with Chris Thorburn and Eric Boulton but he’s still waiting for his U.S. immigration clearance. He’s hoping it comes through this afternoon.

1. adamg84 says:

So does this mean Weber makes way for Mara tonight?

2. krob1000 says:

Well this explains why we didn;t make any move yesterday…all this “stand pat” nonsense annoys me but since they knew Spacek was returning tehy needed room for his salary which most of us thought was alreafdy off the books as he was allegedly gone for the season…..this makes things much more understandable.

3. TripleX says:

Cap does not apply in the playoffs since the players are not paid.  Players salary only covers the regular season.

Any wonder why Montreal management has the playoff games as the goal?  All profit baby.

4. SmartDog says:

Does anyone know the lines?   Musta been a practice no?

JT’s new breakdown of Gomez impact: http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2011/02/gomez-effect.html

5. TripleX says:

Yes.  Atlanta had their way with the Habs physically last game.  Will be interesting to see how Montreal’s “tough” lineup does.

6. HabsFanInTampa says:

Not trying to be funny or anything. But, who are the players on Montreal’s “tough” line?

7. krob1000 says:

I hate all these cap rules and never look them up but I thought it was only LTIR that gave cap relief and as such a 4-6 week injury would still mean that Spacek’s daily cap hit counts and we would be using space? clarify it if you will because I don;t know but that was my understanding

8. HabsFanInTampa says:

Nevermind, I get it. I read it incorrectly the first time.

9. habs365 says:

Say what you want about PG..he played it smart yesterday’s trade deadline..never gave away any assets..he knows the teams chance of winning a cup this year is not good..having said that..they’re could be upsits and things could change in a hurry other than that a cup this year is not looking good and like I said PG knows that..give him credit he played his cards right and the Habs will benefit down the road……

10. SLONCOLD says:

i would have looked at trading some one like hammer for picks. he’s a ufa next year and if the habs have no intention of keeping him, might as well get somethign for him.

11. habsfanmandy says:

I just want to point out that it seems to me when Pyatt is in the lineup, the PK is perfect, or near-perfect anyway. When he’s out, our PK suffers. I don’t think Pyatt is doing well enough this season, but this bears thinking about.

12. Jordio-oh says:

how cynical of you.

13. shiram says:

He still is an important part of the team, and the management probably wants the best players for a playoff run. They we’re saying saturday on RDS that he would be dealt, and I felt they we’re very wrong on that one. Glad I was right.

14. habs365 says:

Habs lineup for tonight against atlanta as of 12:36 pm  01 mar 11

Halpern  Pleks  Cammy

Max-Pac  Gomez  Gionta

Pouliot  Desharnais  White

AK46  Eller  Moen

PK  Gill

Hamrlik  Wisniewski

Sopel  Mara

15. kirkiswork says:

No one will give you much for a rental ufa.

16. TripleX says:

Interesting article in the NYT about Donald Brashear and a league I have to admit ignorance about, the L.N.A.H in Quebec.  According to the article it is recognized as the toughest league in the hockey world.

17. GrimJim says:

Okay, Trip, you’re making progress. Congratulations on the research to determine what happens in the playoffs. You are absolutely correct on this. However, four weeks from today is March 29, which is still in the regular season when the cap is still in effect, so the cap still needs to be considered for its potential effect.

18. punkster says:

Step by step.

***Subbang!!!***

19. punkster says:

It will be interesting to see how Spacek and Hamrlik perform with less ToI. I like them both and I would think their respective games will be enhanced with the reduced minutes.

***Subbang!!!***

20. Kooch7800 says:

really?  Jason Arnott fetched quite a bit.

We need Hammer though

21. Mark C says:

It sure seems like it. Based on goals allowed per 60 minutes, Pyatt ranks middle of the pack for Montreal fowards. Gionta, Halpren, and Gomez lead the way this year. Believe it or not, but Gomez was the leader last season and was second in the playoffs.

That has gotta be the most ridiculous comment today. Are serious? I would hope that neither gets rushed back even for the start of next season if need be.

One more injury for Markov and his hockey career is done. I would recommend most if not all of next year off for him also but I am sure he and the Habs and fans like you can’t wait to put him on the precipice again.

Effin’ retarded.

Will Markov be back this season? Not even if the Habs make the SCF should either he or Gorges return.

Now Sissy. There’s another story. He’s been a liability most of the season so his absence isn’t really missed but he does have the tendancy to turn it up a notch come play-off time not to mention he’ll be well rested.

His return will be welcome, as much as it pains me to say it.

23. AK_PK_Usay says:

pretty much, lets face it, you don’t get all stars from trades, you draft pick them, drafting is as much skill as luck from the 3rd pick onwards.

24. SLYDER says:

any word on either Markov or Gorges back in time for playoffs? or is it 100% garunteed they are on the shelf until next season?

25. LA Loyalist says:

Do we get a quantity discount? Or at least Air Miles?

26. TripleX says:

“At the end of the season, the Active Roster and Injured Reserve cease to exist; players cannot be placed on Injured Reserve during the playoffs, and there is no roster limit during the playoffs. Additionally, calculations for the purposes of determining compliance with the Upper Limit end upon the completion of the Regular Season. Therefore, a Club may use players whose Averaged Salaries exceed the Upper Limit during the playoffs – including any and all players who were designated for Long-Term Injured Reserve.”

27. LA Loyalist says:

All 3 of our knee injuries, Spacek, Markov and Gorges, went to the same guy in Birmingham on Monday. I joked that we should get a discount.

I should recuse myself from commenting on health care issues as I’ve lived under both systems and have a very biased view as both my parents died in Canadian hospitals waiting for procedures that never happened.

But my advice is to go the U.S. and get it taken care of. You only get one body, don’t waste it. Especially with strong Canadian $.

There are a lot of things wrong with the U.S. system, of course, especially the dopey tradition of tieing your insurance to your job. But you would be shocked to know how many Canadian doctors and nurses have moved down here.

Not trying to start a fight.

28. Fansincebirth says:

I wonder if they’ll do a two fer one deal :o)

29. AK_PK_Usay says:

+1 MILLION!!!

very well said, couldn’t have said it any better.

in the states insurance companies can refuse to provide insurance if you made claims with the reasoning being YOU ARE UNLUCKY! and thus they will likely not make a PROFIT from you…

AWWWWW have you guys heard, the big corporate bottom line wouldn’t get fat.

the tea party as most extreme far-rights have 2 peas for a brain… but as the old saying goes

“dont underestimate dumb people in large numbers”

30. Shiloh says:

Please – save the right-wing crap for teabagger sites. The new American health care bill does not establish a universal single-payer system. It does, however, require that insurance be made available for people with pre-existing conditions. Of course, the far-right loons love to call it ‘Obamacare’ in a perjorative manner. They are lucky to have him as their President.

31. habsfaninboston says:

Yeah, better do it before Obamacare takes over.

32. HabFanSince72 says:

You can also get it done next week in Quebec if you go private.

33. Fansincebirth says:

This really upsets me. I was diagnosed with a torn Miniscus and an MCL sprain over a month ago and won’t be looking at surgery until probably September!!!! ;o)

34. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re lucky. 4-6 months is nothing.

I’ve heard 1-3 years waits.

35. SLONCOLD says:

well he’s not having his surgery done in quebec though… good luck with the knee

36. shiram says:

Go down to the States, lay some $ down and get yourself repaired! Thats what they are doing for Spacek i’m pretty sure.

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Do we get a discount for sending three players at once?  You know, a kind’ve two knee surgeries, you get the third one for free deal??

38. marshx says:

yep, I’ll be surprised if Markov is back in habs jersey after the season. Wiz gets signed over him imo, dunno how much more Marky’s knee can take. Such a shame though.

39. adam76 says:

HE has a bad knee and is almost 33.  Would you sink cash into him.  i would not.

40. marshx says:

Hey I don’t wanna see him go either, but that knee worries me, specially at 5 mil +

41. patience is a virtue says:

Heresy!

Markov, IF his knee still works, is one of the top 5 all around dmen in the NHL.  If it works, or has a chance of working, Mtl will sign him.  Period.  I’d take him over 2 The Wizes.  And I like The Wiz!

He wants to be here.  Likes the beautiful Island City.  He just became a Canadian citizen.

42. adam76 says:

Hes a UFA – if you wanna see him in a habs jersey, playoffs or bust.

43. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, especially as we will be spending most of the games in our own end.

44. drivefor25 says:

Good news on Jaro – I was worried he might be gone for the season, like Markov and Gorges. Gives us great depth on defence, which is a big positive going into the playoffs.

Fan since ’71

45. dizzy says:

Habs after start useing ther young defence core. Weber is doing fine and picard also. Spacek is getting slow and on his way out.

46. DearyLeary says:

But they’re both right handed defensemen.

47. C_Hand says:

Spacek is a great defensive defenseman when he plays on the left side. Habs fans don’t knwo enough about his good side, most only know how he can struggle when playing on the right, which is practically hsi whole career with the Habs. Spacek is a great defenseman on the left side, I’d be more confident with him in the lineup than Weber or even Wisniewski (defensively).

48. marshx says:

doubt it, unless he hurt himself blasting the puck into cam wards goalie pads instead of the open corner. I very much prefer White in instead of Pyatt

Question?

Did Pyatt get hurt.? so White was recalled. ?

50. Malreg says:

Not supposed to be, but it wouldn’t be the first time he heals much quicker than anticipated.

51. jOntheweb says:

never say never ! but i’d rather see him stay in the lineup than come back too quickly.. I hope they’ll be smart about that decision

52. cashbagg says:

Markov won’t be back for the playoffs, correct?

53. adam76 says:

Good news on Spacek.  regardless of what the “smart” fans on this site say, Hammer and Spacek are assets to this team when used correctly.

54. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Soid as a frozen toid.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

55. C_Hand says:

I’m just making a point on how I think his defensive play is soid.

56. Rudy says:

Sigh of relief from White???

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

57. shiram says:

“Good” news on Spacek, it doesnt seem as bad as some had speculated.

Great to see White coming back after a short short Bulldogs stint, it was probably a move preparing the groundswork for a trade, but that trade didnt materialize.