Somebody call CSI: Boston

stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out and Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs is filling in for Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber with CJAD Radio-800 commentary weekday mornings at 7:55 a.m. ET, guesting with Abe Hefter. Follow Abe on Twitter – @hefteronthehabs – and the Canadiens at CJAD’s Habs page here.

Friday, Stubbs talked Habs autopsy of Thursday’s 7-0 rout by the Boston Bruins, and the lame excuse of should-know-better Mark Recchi.

Listen here to his chat with Hefter and CJAD morning host Andrew Carter.

1. chicgoods37 says:

lfds
    welcome to our website:

========== http://ta.gg/51m =====

if you like to order anything you like.

More details,

please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;

Service is our Lift.

enjoy yourself.

thank you!!

======== http://ta.gg/51m ===========

======== http://ta.gg/51m ===========

2. Sal says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, the Bruins ALWAYS lose the series AFTER, they beat out the Habs in a palyoff round. Beating the Habs IS the Stanley Cup, to the Bruins.

3. Off-side says:

The white elephant is Gomez. Everyone is complaining about him. Will he play next game?

4. Wayne says:

CSI?
    No investigation necessary so let’s not kid ourselves. Boston is a great team. Sure, apart from the Chara hit and few other bullying incidents, to a man, one has to admit, they’ve assembled a kick-ass team. Any Hab fan with the capacity to imagine if “the shoe was on the other foot” and we had that team we would be walking around with a prema-woodie.

On the subject of building a team in Montreal. The notion that this organization needs francophone people in place, top to bottom as a pre-requisite to working here severely limits the talent pool necessary to ice a real contender. It’s not the organization’s fault entirely, it the politics and press. There was a time, way before “no trade clauses” when 90% of the league’s players would come here without hesitation whether traded or asked to sign. Now?… or in recent years, the Habs couldn’t even wrangle FA native sons like Vinnie, Briere or other good Franco players in this league because, barring greed and lack of backbone to play in this pressure cooker, they didn’t need the grief. To his credit, what BG tried to do during his time as GM was to not so much build a contender, which was his intent, but to use his credibility to spread the word league wide, for all Anglo, Franco, Euro or Martian, playing in Montreal would be fun and a rewarding experience (despite the fishbowl existence). Not to mention that if you win a cup here, you are “auto-deified”. With JM and Gauthier now running things, there’s a lack of charisma there. It’s not a key ingredient but it helps in reference the point I made above. I’m tired of the Habs taking two steps forward and one back.

5. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good for you Dave Stubbs for coming out and putting Recchi in his place. Once a Canadien but a lot of people in hockey have lost respect for that scumbag.

Oh Mr. Stuuuubbs?! How come you no askie tough question from Mr Gomez or Mr Cammilleriii?

• matraque says:

Too scared?

——
      Canadien en 5!
      Never go Full Retard

• CranbrookEd says:

Perhaps the question to ask Mr. Gomez is what does he think of “merit pay” as many “regular” people have to work/survive with . . . do they even allow contracts with such clauses (bonuses) anymore . . . this is not just a Gomez thing, but a professional sports thing – everyone should start with a base salary and then be “rewarded” based upon their performance . . . Gomez is just in the middle of the radar screen for HABS fans . . . his and similar contracts need to stop and the merit pay concept needs to start . . .

CranbrookEd

7. redgorf says:

thank you CABALLERO, dont know what i was thinking, sorry folks

8. HNS says:

I have been a Habs fan for a long, long time. First time I’ve ever seen them quit. Someone tell me WTF was that last nite? 2 things need to be done. Fire the midgets, especially the passengers. Second is to hire real hockey managment. Just because a person is french Canadian, doesn’t mean they know how to run a successful club. Do you want to win a cup in our lifetime or do you want to stick around and hope for the best.

9. Beaver Paladin says:

Gutless effort. I think the wheels are finally coming off the wagon.

10. goat_007 says:

I normally try to stay positive, but can JM please LOOSE IT when the refs blow a call like the did on Gomez’s phantom high stick. I don’t want him to get tossed, but maybe just maybe the refs will be afraid to call the habs for every little infraction they do, in fear of getting an earful from Jacque!!!

They defiantly aren’t afraid of his current dumb founded look that’s for sure.

HIO has change my life, I think for the better but my boss may disagree! Go Habs GO!

11. Nahlsy says:

Recchi now claiming he only made himself look like a d-bag so people wouldn’t be mad at Chara. heh ok Recchi, you succeeded, you’re a d-bag. Still can’t stand Chara, now you just happen to fit in with the rest of the Bruin line-up (with VERY few exceptions).

As for worrying about the result, a loss is a loss whether it’s 7-0, 29-0, 3-2 or 4-3. They still all count as two points, same as the 4-1 win the Habs threw down on Boston 2 weeks ago. Habs have won 9 of the last 12 vs the Bruins now, so I’m hardly ready to hurl myself off a cliff over the Bruins winning for the third time in 12 tries. Habs have a depleted line up a few guys coming back from injury and were playing with a short bench because of it, they then killed 6 straight penalties (12 of the first 30 minutes or so of the game spent shorthanded) so that’s going to fatigue them even more with an already shortened bench. It was bound to happen eventually, and they’ll just move on to the next game. The odds are pretty much set that they’ll be in the playoffs anyway, the seeding doesn’t really make a lick of difference, look at last year #8 Mtl vs #7 Philly in the Conference finals says all that needs to be said about how life or death seeding is. This team missing Markov and Gorges as much as they have SHOULDN’T have made the playoffs at all, let alone left in a spot to worry about division titles at the end of March.

12. joshua94k says:

During a long season there are bound to be some bad games. Flyers lost 7-0 to the Rangers. The Capitals lost 7-0 and 6-0 to the Rangers as well. The Penguins lost 9-3 to the Islanders, Canucks lost 7-1 to the Blackhawsks, Blackhawks lost 5-0 to the Stars, the Red Wings are winless in their last 3 games. Are these teams being written off?

The Canadiens are a battered team right now. Key players are injured and several are playing hurt. They will rebound as Plekanec, Sopul, and Cammalleri get better.

Too much is being made up of last night’s game in Boston. In the play-offs it is a different matter altogether.

History will note that whenever the Bruins made a statement against Montreal late in the season, they were beat in the play-offs.

1971: In Boston during the last regular game season, they get badly outplayed losing 7-2. Orr and Esposito have a field day with Espo getting a hat trick. We all know what happened when they met in the play-offs during the 1st round.

“We’re a far better team. We’ve got much more talent. But the Canadiens weren’t afraid of that talent.” – Derek Sanderson Post Game 7 1971.

1984: The Bruins won the last three games against the Canadiens, outscoring them 7-3 in the last two games. In the 1st round the Bourque, Middleton, Pederson highly favoured team were swept in 3 games by the Habs.

1993: During their last meeting late in the season, Boston won a convincing 5-1 statement game. That year Montreal won the Stanley Cup. The Bruins were beat in the 1st round.

2002: Montreal lost 5-0 to Boston. In the play-offs they beat the Bruins.

2004: Montreal loses a tune up match to Boston late in the season. Boston wins the season series shutting out Montreal twice. In the play-offs ,Montreal came from behind to win 3-1.

If the Bruins meet a healthier Montreal team in the play-offs, the Bruins won’t have a chance.

• notbigbird says:

Nice post, but the “not a chance” phrase might be an overstatement.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I also don’t read too much into last night’s loss. For the same reasons, injuries and players not at 100%.

We do need to make some changes over the summer though!

• Fig Newton says:

Montreal won’t be making the playoffs this year. Sorry.

• Steven says:

If you’re gonna troll, ok, but at least do it with some semblance of logic.

I mean, come on, get back in the game.

• habsfan0 says:

Can’t figure out if you’re a Bruins fan or a Leafs fan. Either way,it’s been centuries since your team last won the Cup.

• Fig Newton says:

Yeah, but we shut out the ‘mighty’ Canadiens 7-0 (that’s SEVEN to ZERO) and scored a 5 on 3 SHORTHANDED goal… NYUK NYUK NYUK!!

Quick, someone dial 9-1-1

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• LA Loyalist says:

Certainly in one hockey game anything can, and does happen. That’s why playoffs are best of 7.

That said, each of the Mtl teams you cite are far better than this bunch.

Price and PK played great. I guaranty you Pleks and Cammi are playing hurt. Gionta and Gomez were invisible.

It was a statement game all right.

“Intangibles,” he said. “Intangibles.”

• solsub says:

Yeah… except the Canadiens aren’t the Flyers, Capitals, Penguins, Canucks, Blackhawks, or Red Wings. Those teams have the necessary pieces to make a decent run. The Habs, on the other hand, do not, be it due to injury or lack of offensive merit.

Boston may not survive long in the playoffs, but they have the necessary resources to handedly dispatch this team in a 7-game series. Moreover, every other Eastern playoff aspirant possesses a similar advantage, albeit via different means.

13. redgorf says:

they showed us thier status as players , the ages start to show, JM intreduce some injured players to early for some, and too many at the same time.I’ve never seen such erotic changes at the same time,i’ts as if planing does’nt exist. A lot of change must be made this summer to correct the situation, not just players but staff also.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

We definitely took one on the chin last night. However, I don’t think it signifies a changing of the guard or does any real damage to the Habs confidence. We were on the limp last night and not in top form. Just forget about last night!

I have no idea why they tried to bring back three players; Sopel, Plekanec and Darche in such a fast paced and physical game? Sopel didn’t want to take a hit and Plekanec looked shaky and it seemed he was only being used sparingly. Cammalleri definitely looks injured and overall the team looked completely out of synch.

The only thing that makes it a bit of an easier pill to swallow is that we’ve got the foundation of a good team. We have some important pieces. We may have been chopped down to size this year with injuries but as soon as this team is healthy, this year or next, we’re a pretty damn good team.

A couple of moves over the summer and this team is dynamite! First off I believe they won’t sign Markov and Wisniewski, it will be one or the other. It’s a tough choice; Markov might be a tad more talented but he’s older and much more banged up than the Wiz. Then they sign Gorges to a new, more expensive deal and make the choice between Gill and Hamrlik, I personally hope they sign Hamrlik to a cheaper 1 or 2 year deal. After that we’ve got Subban, Spacek and Weber. Hopefully Gauthier goes out and signs an affordable tough and rugged 5th or 6th defenseman, who can take an honest shift and play 16-18 mins a game.

Even if the Habs don’t make an adjustment to their top six and resign Kostitsyn they’re not bad, better than a lot of teams in the league. But, I’d love it of they made some sort of deal to acquire that coveted scoring power forward. Unfortunately, it will cost more than most Habs fans are willing to part with. I’d be cool with trading the rights to Kostitsyn, Desharnais or Eller and a first round draft pick for Nash, Perry or a similar type player. There’s 25-30 players that fit or come close to that prototype in the NHL and their certainly must be a couple of them that can pried away from their current team? Insert a the new power forward on a line with Cammalleri and Plekanec while Pacioretty plays with Gomez and Ginota, and the size issue on the top six is solved.

Finally, the Habs have to make a decision with their bottom six. There are defiantly some useful players that play on the bottom two lines but a couple of them have to go. I’d like to see the Habs acquire a big and nasty center to play on the 4th line between Moen and White. That could be a nice looking agitator line with maybe a guy like Konopka in the middle. Throw Eller or Desharnais between Pouliot and either young player or someone acquired in a trade on the other wing and we’re all set. Maybe move Desharnais to the wing if need be.

In conclusion, with guys like Price, Subban and Plekanec leading the way, and a decent supporting cast, I believe we have something here. Round out the team with a bit of size and muscle and we are among the best.

• ed lopaz says:

I would add Pacioretty to the post – I hope – I have him in the same sentence as Price and Subban.
      There are few in the NHL that combine Pacioretty’s size, speed, and attitude.

Another point, I would hope the Habs keep Gill and not Hamrlik.
      Gill has been outstanding for Subban – who will be a world class player.

I don’t want to get down on Hamrlik, and I think he has had many more good games this season, to his credit, than last year.

But Gill is a mentor for Subban – and he must be kept.

Gill could be a decent coach one day – I think SF ’09 suggested that so I will give him the credit. :-)

Finally, Eller is terrific young player, great speed, hard working, 3 zone, heady player.

Eller should not be traded.

I would simply move Eller to the top 6 and Gomez to # 3 center minutes.

I would have done this 50 games ago.

Teams win with “gamers“ like Eller – he should not be sitting on the bench.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I really like Eller too actually! He’s look like he’s going be a real solid 2-way player one day soon. But if the opportunity presented itself to trade him for a true power forward that could play on the 1st line I think u make the deal.

• solomio says:

Thats just crazy talk

15. habs365 says:

wrong people building this team….they bring in oldies and softies and in todays NHL that will never work it was proven last night….it was like men playing against kids….the kids were playing scared and the men beat them same thing that’s gonna happen in the playoffs get ready for oct 2011 and hopefully they can find players who won’t play scared like the Bruins and Philly.

• Caballero says:

The way to beat Boston and Philly if you are old and soft is to have a helluva lot more talent which we don’t. If we had several aging superstars maybe we would stand a chance. So I guess what I am saying is that we have limited talent, we are old, and also soft. A bad combo no? The most talented players on this team are youngsters (hehe I hate that word) like PK, Price, Pac, Eller etc.. and if you ask me they are the players who bring it. The only decent veteran is Darche right now.

• Hobie Hansen says:

With Cammalleri, Plekanec and Pacioretty all at 100% and flying around we can beat the Bruins.

If Gorges and Markov were in the lineup we’d probably be a head of them in the standings.

• Fig Newton says:

IF is a little word with a big meaning. Like, IF I knew what the winning lottery numbers were going to be tonight I could wake up $244 million richer tomorrow morning.

You needn’t worry about beating the Bruins in the playoffs. You’ll lose to Washington in the first round. That is IF (there’s that word again) you make the playoffs.

16. goat_007 says:

First of all I would like to say I hate that little weasel Marchand, funny how he was all over PK and the habs for being a bunch of dirty little pricks and he gets suspended for a dirty hit!!! When TSN interviewed him last night I had to turn the TV off. I couldn’t stand too see his ugly mug longer than a second. Anyone else notice him giving lots of “Respect” to veterans like Cammy?

Now to my actual point. Let’s not toss the boys under the bus just yet. So yes it was a stinker, it stunk so bad I actually quit watching midway thru the second and went to Walmart. But lets think about something here. Plecky, Halpern, Sopel, Darche all came back fresh from injuries knocking 4 up to speed players out of the lineup for 4 guys who have missed time and are just coming back from injury.

Halpern looked goofy on the PK in the first, Plecky was slow (should have sat another) and Darche bailed to the bench and made Eller look stupid on another play. Once those guys are back up to end of season form then we can give the habs a proper assessment.

Yes we don’t have an allstar lineup like the Flyers or the Caps and yes our multi million forwards need to step up, but a not to different of a squad got hot behind some stellar goaltending, and where did we end up last year!

Let Price refocus and he will be back to the form he was. Right before our current loosing stretch (minus Minny) we had won something like 8 of 11. So let’s pull this bus over for just a few more games and if they continue to stink, then you can toss away and fire that bus back up. Until then, let’s take heed in Prices words of wisdom and just “CHILL”

• SeriousFan09 says:

Marchand is yet another guy on the Boston lineup with what I call a Punching Face, you see him and you want to punch him the face.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• habs365 says:

sorry Buddy. we had all year to assist this team. the excuses is over and I see three good players on this team, pleks,price and PK and if you see more you’ve been watching a different team than I’ve been watching. not enough skill and too soft for todays NHL. you’ll see come playoff time

• goat_007 says:

I ain’t your buddy GUY!

• Wayne says:

With a clear head here, we have to admit, there was a time when this lineup looked wicked and the players we love to hate right now had scored some beauties. What happened? On ice chemistry is a delicate thing. Injuries break that chemistry up but so does a coach when he loses patience and starts juggling lines. JM, in all of his admired stoic-ness, lacks patience… so he does this. What we don’t really see him doing is working a set line in practice and addressing the problems they have as a unit so they can learn and develop.

• Man Dingga says:

I wouldn’t worry about Price refocusing, I’d be more worried about our guys scoring some goals. Price was great against Buffalo and we lost. Scoring goals is a huge problem right now with the Rangers and Buffalo playing well.

17. notbigbird says:

Apparently, I picked the right game to watch this week and the right one not to watch. They were both strange games; we aren’t 7 goals better than the Wilders, and history proves that we aren’t 7 goals worse that the Prunes.

This team looks good when it looks good and very bad when it doesn’t — mainly because they lack the talent of some teams, so when they don’t show up, the results can be dismal. When they play their team game with spirit, however, they remain a difficult team to play against.

I think the injuries plus The Hit have had their way with the Habs for now. They’ve had the stuffing knocked out of them so to speak. If and when they can recover remains to be seen.

As for Gomez, whether you thought the trade was good or bad at the time, I don’t think anyone expected the player that we have seen this year. It seems that some guys don’t excel in Montreal — a whole lot of them, actually — and, unfortunately, he seems to be on that list. Arpon suggested earlier this year that he be used as a main piece on a shutdown line, and I’m inclined to agree — at least until he regains any semblance of offense.

Finally, it amuses me when people bemoan the fact that Carey has carreyed us [sic]. When you draft top five, that guy had better be pretty darn important to your team. If we had drafted a stud skater instead, maybe our goalie (Halak?) would be called on less — in theory anyway. You can’t have it both ways.

I have a feeling that Saturday won’t be any better. I think they’re in another funk — their third of the season. And nobody quite does the funk like these guys do the funk — for funk sakes!

18. matraque says:

I hate to say it, but Cammalleri has to go this summer… He’s the only player that could be attractive to other teams. Trade him to get bigger.

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

19. observer says:

Habs are not as good as the team who won 8-1 on Sunday nor as bad as the team who lost 0-7 last night. That will turn out to be a badly needed wake up call – this team will come up with a huge effort Saturday against Washington. Just my opinion!

20. HalifaxHabs says:

re-post… I meant to post this on this thread instrad of the previous one:

Wow…. last nights game was pathetic and painful to watch, and I hated it, but doomsday people on here are comical.

People blaming last night on Price, are living in a dream world. It’s simple, 5 goals were scored on him, 2 were tipped in by his own players (Gill & Eller) and one was a pass to open side, Price is sliding over, and Mara lays down and stops the puck for Horton standing beside an empty net. What do you expect from him?

Do you think Boston thought their season was over when they were down 4-0 after 2 periods to the Habs 18 days ago?

No excuses about last night, we got thouroughly outplayed and embarrased… we did have 4 major players coming back off of injury, I think it’s safe to say Pleks wasn’t %100 last night. Either way we got killed, but we have beaten Boston pretty convincingly a few times this year as well.

The playoffs don’t start for 3 weeks, there’s alot of hockey to be played between now and then. I know the general feeling is they will lose out the season and then get swept 4 straight because they got killed last night, but I don’t think they are going to bust out their golf clubs quite yet.

Relax, take a deep breath, and we’ll see how the next few games go.

21. matraque says:

Any journalist ever asked JM: What’s the deal with Gomez? Or you are all too scared to get kick out??

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

• HabFanSince72 says:

The antichambre guys asked the same thing.

But they don’t get it. This is the team. These are the players we have. At least for now. If you sit Gomez who takes his place?

22. habsguy says:

in football it’s illegal to lead with your head, does anyone marchands hit on gomez should be looked at ?

23. observer says:

Whatever! Yesterday is history! I’d rather see them lose like that (than 1-0(plus open net) to Buffalo and be satisfied with their effort). This will light a fire under them. Just like Julien did last week to the Bruins who were playing terrible hockey and he made them practice Sunday after a Saturday loss. Better this happened a couple of weeks before the playoffs started.

• LA Loyalist says:

I can live with getting carried out on our shield, given our severe injuries and the fact that Boston is good and playing well, but to show up as dicklessly as last night in a “statement” game… is seriously bad.

I personally think Pleks and Cammi are playing hurt, the team is worn down from being under-manned, and getting no leadership from the $18m threesome (only Cammi has an excuse).

Any psychological advantage we might have had from previous victories going into the playoffs is lost and in fact has swung the other way.

If I were in charge:

1. Rest Plex and Cammi
      2. Send Gomez to Hamilton, to send a message to everyone else.
      3. Play the hell out of the kids so they get the minutes for experience.

If we fall through the floor so be it, but if Plex and Cammi are not rested and healthy for the playoffs we’re not going anywhere anyway.

24. jimmy shaker says:

This looked painfull to watch, luckily I was at work and pvr’d the game…….watched the first period and fast forwarded through till the end for the rest……and all I can say is ouch! And let the jockeying for 6th, 7th and 8th begin, because those are the spots the boys are looking to finsih in now, or dare I say if this slide continues……..out of the dance! Surely they can’t have a melt down of that magnitude, can they?

Shaker

• Mark C says:

0.7% chance that Montreal doesn’t make the playoffs, if you ever decide to change your HIO name, let me recommend Debbie Downer.

• observer says:

Debbie Downer long ago left SNL.

• ed lopaz says:

Is Debbie Downer the star of “Debbie Does Dallas”? : )

• Mark C says:

Haha close enough, Ed.

Hey, do you think the team will be able to toss this game away quickly or will the stink of it linger? I don’t have a good read on where this team is mentally.

• ed lopaz says:

The team is freakin injured!!!

I think mentally any real Pro can wake up and start a new day.

Habs have a bunch of Pro’s in the room – that won’t be a problem.

Its a physical challenge – today’s NHL is brutal

If they can get a healthy Plekanec and Cammy going, Price can beat anyone.

• jimmy shaker says:

Hey boss, put your hands in your pockets, bring your attitude way down, and also, be nice to people! Or basically, just relax! Didn’t think I was being much of a downer, just a more of a realistic outlook on what is going to transpire in the next 7 games….sorry for making a comment Mark.

Shaker

25. jimmy shaker says:

Why are there so many threads about the same topic in such a short amount of time?

Shaker