Some pre-game reading

Red Fisher on a courageous kid
• Martin hopes for debate on discipline
Sopel is day-to-day
Dave Stubbs visits the great Glenn Hall
Bashing Bettman
Andrew Cohen’s great read in The Atlantic
Stu Cowan on a better helmet
Arpon Basu on CH injuries
Ken Dryden on hockey violence

1. Exit716 says:

Today’s fans would make the Richard Riot look like a play fight with water guns.

2. Exit716 says:

MacLean still officiates Jr. B around the GTA.

God that would be fun to find what game he is officiating, pay my $10 and verbally abuse the guy all night.

3. Habitoban says:

Re: Basu’s artcile, another “Pouliot effect” is: you play well and develop some chemistry with your linemates and the trio gets broken up; you play poorly for 2 periods with new linemates who are also playing poorly and you get benched.

4. Exit716 says:

What did Sean Baligian think of the hit? He’s a great Habs fan on WDFN. What about Stoney?

5. Danno says:

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But if Cherry goes bananas, as is expected, he further polarizes the debate and does harm to his own credibility — not to mention the NHL’s. It has reached a point now where the defenders of head-shot hockey must rethink their position if only for their own self-interest. If they don’t they will alienate the very fans who generate the revenue that keep them employed.

It’s called damage control. Guys like Cherry can be part of the solution or continue to be part of the problem. Without the fans the NHL is nothing and many the fans today are changing the channel and taking their sons out of the sport.

Tonight will be a defining moment. Stay tuned.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

6. Danno says:

History will be made…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. WindsorHab-10 says:

Thank you Einstein.

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

That’s his new name from now on. Colon.

9. Omit says:

I’m not sure about that.  Colon Campbell makes a bit more than 1M, and his cousin, Mike Murphy, makes mid 6-figure salary. A total waste of expenditures.  At least Buttman has made money for the owners.

Btw, look for Buttman to find another position for Campbell in the near future to silence the critics.

10. WindsorHab-10 says:

Already happening in most U.S.markets but BUTTman does not get it. If we want changes made, it has to start by removing the dead-weight that is Buttman, Campbell and the rest of the stooges.

Funny thing is that I listen to sports radio from the U.S. and whenever they give sports updates, you hardly ever hear hockey and that’s because they think this league is a joke & always blame Buttman.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not a fan of Don Cherry, but he does know his hockey, and he also appears to care about players.

I think he will be fully aware of all the issues relating to this (the history between the two players, the fact that all NHL players know about the turnbuckle) etc … that being said I won’t be surprised if he says Pacioretty should have been more careful or something of that nature.

12. smiler2729 says:

No kidding but the owners are just as bad collectively as politicians.

13. Mattyleg says:

You know what I was just thinking??

Perhaps this has been said before, but it just came to me now:

The NHL didn’t do Chara any favours by not suspending him.

As a teacher, I know that if a child breaks a rule in my class, I have to punish him or her, even if I think it is marginal. For instance, I don’t tolerate swearing in my class, and any student who swears has to write a punishment essay. If one of my students gets angry and in a moment of passion accidentally swears, they have to do the same thing. I will tell them that I know why they did it, and that it is excusable on a personal level, but that they still have to do the essay.

If I didn’t do that, the other students would wonder why. On top of the fact that they would lose respect for me and my rules and start to push their luck, trying to see where the new ‘line’ was that they can’t cross, they would start saying that the student was a favourite of mine. The student might even gain a reputation around the school for being a kisss-ass. Other teachers might start feeling that the student felt him/herself exempt from punishment.

Chara is going to have a very hard time around the league for the next little while. Perhaps longer. If the NHL had given him a slap on the wrist, Habs fans would still have felt that it wasn’t enough, but those on the fence would assume that justice had been done. By not punishing Chara, it makes him look like even more of a criminal, because he got away with it. If the NHL REALLY thought he’d done nothing wrong, they should have given him a couple of games to take the heat off him.

This way, they’re hanging him out to dry. Perhaps, in a cruel sense, it’s the harshest thing they could have done.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. WindsorHab-10 says:

Lets not forget the rectal regions of Don Cherry.

15. Shiloh says:

I’ll be interested to hear Weasel MacLean’s take tonight. Cherry is just Cherry but MacLean has had his lips planted squarely on the rectal regions of Buttman and Colon Campbell for years. I’m still shaking my head about the full-segment execution poor Burrows received when a referee was caught blatantly cheating.

MacLean had better learn a new song.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Who knows how Don will come out of this.

Pacioretty’s a NA kid, a power forward, he likes him, but he’s also a Hab.

Chara is a European, a giant of a man which he likes, but also European, but he’s a Bruin.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.