Is veteran Gill about to be a healthy scratch?

rink

A sheet so clean, you could swear it was a Canadiens power play.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

The Canadiens practised this morning in Brossard before setting off to Pittsburgh. The Penguins await Friday, and then it’s on to Toronto to face the Maple Leafs on Saturday.

Head coach Randy Cunneyworth hinted during his news briefing that there might be lineup changes coming for the back-to-back games.

Cunneyworth is not yet decided on his goaltenders. And he said that it’s possible that Chris Campoli will be reinserted into the lineup after having been a healthy scratch the past two games.

Don’t be surprised if such a move would put veteran Hal Gill, who played a season-low 8:55 Wednesday night; that might be a little misleading, given the amount of power-play time the Habs “enjoyed,” but there’s a decent chance Gill will watch from the press box in Pittsburgh.

Live updates were here on Twitter during practice.

1. PureGuava says:

Halak picked up another shutout tonight. That’s 3 in the last week and a half. He hasn’t lost in regulation since November 22, and is 10-0-3 in his last 13 games.

Still glad they kept Price? I love Eller, but Price would have fetched more….at the time.

Now we’d be lucky if we got a second rounder for him.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

• t1tan5 says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks man, it’s very important for me to go to bed in a good mood.

• PureGuava says:

“Oh Carey….I love him so….he’s just the bestest player in the history of the Canadiens…I saw him at the rodeo out west this summer…he sure is swell…gaw..Carey….I love you”

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Price would not have fetched more at the time.

Don’t know if he would fetch more now.

• axxerd says:

Would have gotten more for Price than Halak at the time? Really? Price at his lowest, a backup with 0 confidence…or Halak…singlehandedly brought the Habs to the conference finals. I don’t think for a second Price’s value was half of Halak’s at the time.

—-
      Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

• PureGuava says:

A 5th overall pick that the hockey folk claimed was of a high ‘pedigree’….

I always thought Halak was the better goalie, but Price has size – which is the thing that most gm’s have always liked about his game.

At the time Price would have fetched more, but there was no way it was ever going to happen. Price was Gainey and Gauthier’s legacy draft pick, and they weren’t going to trade him. Doing so would have been an admission that they were wrong…

Price would have also netted Eller in return, but maybe a high pick or an Oshie type would have come too. Price absolutely HAD higher value at the time – but now, i’d be shocked if he could be moved for a third line winger and a pick.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Other than Habs mgt (who drafted him) and Habs-following media (who regurgitate what Habs mgt said) what hockey folk talked about Price’s pedigree or indicated that they put more stock in it than Halak’s performance?

• PureGuava says:

McKenzie, McGuire – claimed that many of the general managers and scouts at the time still believed that Price would be the better goalie in the long run.

• Croz38 says:

Halak has a much stronger team in front of him then Price does. Even Elliot looks like an all star goalie this yr for the Blues, because the team is just that good in front of him. The Habs still made the better move in trading Halak, despite Price’s play of late

• ManApart says:

The team is one of the worst in the league and Price is average at best. Yup, sure glad we have Price alright

• PureGuava says:

Price’s play as of late? it’s been 4 yrs of this! When is this second coming of Christ that we’ve all been told about for years going to show up and win a hockey game?

The ‘Halak’s team is better’ argument is rubbish – he won hockey games when he was here that the team had no business winning…too many to count in fact. Price can’t even win a shootout.

Price has never lived up to his promise, and this season is just another chapter in a never ending saga of below mediocre outings for our savior.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        – Robert Anton Wilson

• Ehabs9 says:

That’s a ridiculous comment, Price was the only reason the Habs didn’t finish at the bottom of the standings last year. He was 5th in voting for the vezina last year. Where was Halak on that list? This team is garbage, and a goalie can only take you so far.

You can’t ice an absolute half-assed AHL calibre team at best, and then blame your goaltender when they aren’t winning.

Also, watch some St. Louis games before you comment, I could have gotten a shutout last night.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Before annointing him as the second coming of Jacques Plantes, he faced 15 shots. On most nights most junior goalies would win under those circumstances.
      Why don’t you and all the Halaktites go to a St. Louis fan site and slobber over him?

Go Habs!

• Sal says:

CP is a good goalie. Is he a great goalie? No evidence of that so far. Bottom line is, Halak steals games. Against St Loius it was apparent early on the the Habs were NOT going to score on him. So far again, no evidence that CP does that to ANY teams. This isn’t about CP vs Halak, that’s over. Just saying, if CP, or his agent, thinks he’s worth 7mil/10yrs a season he is dreaming. They CANNOT give him a long term contract until he proves he deserves it, otherwise it will be a albatross around the neck of the Habs, like so many other contracts, that will not be mentioned. Let him go to arbitration, and, make him prove it next year. If not, trade him at the deadline for something useful.

Sal from the Hammer

2. Stev.R says:

Do you remember when before Hall got drafted, the big knock against him was that he would recklessly put himself in dangerous positions. Do you think that falling into a corner with his helmet off with people skating around was what they meant?

3. temekuhabs says:

Also, hopefully they wind up with draft picks and finish in the bottom 5 to get a lottery pick. It will be a deep draft.

4. temekuhabs says:

The time has come for the Habs to start getting rid of players who can be of some use to teams for the playoff push (since the Habs are not going to make it)
    (ie) Gill,Campoli, Moen, Kaberle, Kostitsyn,
    If we can somehow send Gonez to the AHL

• Stev.R says:

What difference does it make if we send Gomez to the AHL now or in the summer? We have a lot of banked salary for this season due to LTIR, and it’s not like there is a 7m dollar player waiting to be signed (Outside of Yashin of course).

5. JayK-47 says:

When the Habs win, I’m like, “Yay! Closer to the playoffs!”
    When the Habs lose I’m like, “Yay! Closer to drafting Grigorenko!”
    When the orderly comes around I’m like, “Yay! Medicine time!”

6. slapshot777 says:

@ prohabs

I didn’t mean to package them all together, but it would be nice if that would happen.

What’s the point if your going to move out a Subban or Pleks and just rotate players for the sake of trading. Might as well stay with what you got.

I didn’t expect to be getting first,second or even third round picks for these players. Just that picks in total would prove valuable and you never know maybe a diamond in the rough.

If we are trying to keep our youth core together. This year Gionta is out because of injury. I gotta believe Gomez won’t get moved because teams will want to see what the Habs plan on doing over the summer with him. I would like to be able to resign Moen and AK46 if possible.

After that who do you have left?

Budjai
    DD
    Darche

7. slapshot777 says:

Any chance that Molson might be able to pry Jim Nill away from Detroit. I think Nill would be licking his chops to become a GM of any NHL team, but would drool to get a chance to GM Montreal.

I think, we would gain instant experience with him being around Ken Holland and all. I think that he would have more of a game plan with which way he would want to shape a team.

• Jim Edson says:

In a dream maybe!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

8. SmartDog says:

Since it’s so common here…
    5 QUESTIONS ABOUT PEOPLE BEING CRAPPED ON LATELY:
    1. Is Gill a great PK and shut-down guy, or a pilon who need to retire? Pick just one.
    2. What’s the core proof (action or pattern of actions) that Gauthier is a good or bad GM?
    3. Is Eller our future first line center? Why or why not?
    4. If the team in front of him was better, would Price be one of the top 5 goalies in the league?
    5. Is it fair to call for Pleks to be traded for his lack of offense lately, or would we neeed to see him with Cole and Patches for awhile before we judge him?

SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Stev.R says:

1. He’s a pilon that needs to retire that is great at killing penalties.
      2. See my posts at the bottom of the page. Objectively hasn’t made many, if any, bad moves.
      3. No, can’t finish. Hope I’m wrong.
      4. yes, easily.
      5. Not fair. If we did trade him it would be because he is what we could get the most for. He ain’t going anywhere though

• Seps says:

Hey I never got to respond to you about Pleky, I see him as yes, one of our best players but also a poor man’s Patrice Bergeron. He lacks the scoring touch and faceoff skills Bergeron has. I mean you have to give something to get something and as much I like Pleky, I wouldn’t mind to see him go as long as we get something worthwhile back.

#failfornail

• Mike D says:

1) Great PK and shut-down guy. Especially in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t understand hockey.

2) Too big of a question. That could be it’s own article (and it will soon).

3) Too early to tell. But this might be the last year he gets a free pass for not producing. I think he’s gonna start getting the AK treatment next year if he continues to produce inconsistently or disappear for games at a time.

4) Probably

5) Pleky’s a keeper. Highly underrated (apparently by Habs fans as well). He’s a # 2 C and if he had a true # 1 in front of him, there would be no complaints about him averaging 60 pts. a year or so.

– Honestly yours

• G-Man says:

1. Shutdown guy 2. Good GM- Cammy for Bourque +, Bad Gm- Spacek for Kaberle (according to many) 3. Nope. Not a producer. 4. Nope. This season the Habs have allowed way less shots and chances. Yet, here they are in 13th and dropping. 5. With Pleks and DD around, Pleks can be moved to a contender.

9. smiler2729 says:

Geez, I wish we had a new GM by Saturday…

10. slapshot777 says:

So who does everyone think will be the next out of town. I know everyone has been talking about Gill, but I don’t think he will be the next.

I think that Weber,Campoli and I have a feeling Nokia may be shown the door in maybe some kind of package deal. While I don’t think it will be roster players picks right now are just as valuable.

11. Habsbill24 says:

Saw Darren Dreger’s list of candidates for GM. I have a few more, Laurel & Hardy, Bozo the Clown, any of Moe, Larry and Curley. All of them could have done a better job of managing the Habs than the present group. Doesn’t take much hockey knowledge to spend to the cap to produce a boring, uninspiring team that is hurtling towards the bottom of the conference.

• Stev.R says:

Like my posts at the bottom of the page show, the team is in a rebuild right now and for the last 2 years. Just like Edm, Pit, Was, Chi, and Stl were except we didn’t need to tear down the organization to fix it. Signed a couple guys to keep us somewhat competitive (because look at the insanity by the fans when we’re not) until our young guys develop. Major reasons for this seasons unsuccess: 1. injuries, 2. star players underperforming, 3. players not playing 60 minutes. If you’re going to blame anyone, blame the players. You can’t predict injuries, nor can really predict underperforming (although what could you do if you could predict it), and tell me how he was supposed to predict players wouldn’t play all 60 minutes?

12. Habsbill24 says:

Now we are behind the Islanders based on games played, five teams to climb over, 13th place, two points out of last, 9 behind the Leafs, 10 points out of the playoffs. It is soooooo over. Fire PG and start the rebuild now. What an embarassment Molson and his cohorts have put together.

13. WVHabsfan says:

I live about 30 minutes from Wheeling, WV and would hate to see the Nailers go!!

“And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”–Matthew 24:14

14. Habby says:

Apologies if it’s been posted, but our ECHL affiliate, the Wheeling Nailers, have been put up for sale:

I hope someone keeps them in the community.

The drive for 25 is alive!

15. HabFanSince72 says:

2 points out of last place!

Yee-haw.

When we’re thrilling to Yakupov in the red white and blue remember to thank one Randy Cunneyworth, wherever he happens to be at that time.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

And when you add Yakupov your dilemma ensues. Who do you ship out of town? Plekanec, Desharnais or Eller? Because Yakupov, being as gifted as he is should not under any circumstances be a winger.

• dre1744 says:

i say they need to draft Grigorenko and ship out Desharnais hes too small!!!!!!

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think there’s a circumstance that would prompt me to take Grigorenko ahead of Yakupov. But Desharnais would be at the top of my list among those three to move.

• dre1744 says:

They say Grigorenko is a Malkin type player.. Plus he could be the big CCenter we have been looking for. I think hes 6’3 already

• TomNickle says:

Grigorenko is a nice talent sure. But he’s Malkin to Yakupov’s Crosby. I know which one I’d rather have(current health notwithstanding).

• dre1744 says:

I hear what your saying but big talented centers don’t come around that often!!!!!! i’d be happy with either Crosby or malkin in a habs jersey!!!!!

• HardHabits says:

I wasn’t sold on Yapukov until I saw his video. He is pound for pound, with his speed and skill, one of the best checking and hitting young prospects I have ever seen and he has sick hands and an nose for the net to boot. Possibly a generational talent.

Columbus gets him though. Unless Habs win the lottery they are not finishing in last place. Blue Jackets have clinched it already.

• TomNickle says:

Yakupov is the definitely the closest thing to Crosby out there. And the lottery does determine the 1st overall pick so I wouldn’t rule it out yet, though I wouldn’t count on it either.

• CanadienBoy says:

DD got more ball than 3 quarter of the teams let alone some unproved Russian

• Old Bald Bird says:

Think Doug Wickenheiser vs Denis Savard.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’ll be more than happy with Yakupov, Grigorenko, or Gaunce. just please god don’t pick another Dman.

• CanadienBoy says:

Went to bed really piss off last night amazing how bad they can play ,woke up 6 am this morning pick up my friend and went ice fishing for the day 160 perch and 1 white fish life is good again ,till the next #### game i am very ### at them

• Stev.R says:

Grigorenko is ranked 1st by NHL scouting now. Yakupov first by Central scouting. Or maybe vice versa. I don’t think you can wrong with either. But I like Grigorenko. Hopefully more durable.

16. ProHabs says:

If Gomez had any pride at all, he would retire and ride off into the sunset. I wonder if he is even at all embarassed by going a full year without a goal.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah that’s logical. Ummm, proud men don’t quit. Food for thought.

The last time he scored. He didn’t celebrate it. That should tell you all you need to know about how he feels.

• HardHabits says:

He knows better.

• TomNickle says:

Your insinuation aside, you’re bright enough to know that he’s embarrassed.

• HardHabits says:

Which is precisely my point. Can you imagine him hot dogging it next goal? I don’t think so.

• TomNickle says:

I know. I was giving you credit. Most just see the dreadful stat sheet and jump to the conclusion that he doesn’t care, is lazy and is out there for a big pay day when every way the guy has carried himself in his career and personal life shows the contrary.

• LA Loyalist says:

Peter Forsberg knew when to walk away (and he had a specific physical problem). Some guys do, but most don’t.

There is an honourable tradition of burnt out forwards who can turn themselves into decent defensive forwards late in their career, but Gomez can’t even manage that.

He needs a walk by the river with Bob. “Here, Scott, hold the cement block while I chain it to your ankle. Thanks and good luck.”

Once again tom you and I vehemently disagree. Sorry, nothing personal.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah Brad but you’re wrong. The difference between you and I is that I don’t allow emotion to cloud my judgement of hockey players, and you do.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t judge Gomez. I just observe that he is not that good and more often than not a liability. He has had two good games in the past two seasons that I can remember, both against the Rangers. Last I heard, a season consists of 82 games.

• SmartDog says:

It was once said:

“Winners never quit, and quitters never win. But those who never win and don’t quit are stupid.”

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• TomNickle says:

Gomez has won. So I guess he doesn’t fall into the stupid category.

• LA Loyalist says:

He won at the cash register, which I guess to some people trumps all.

At the looking in the mirror in the morning department… not so much.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah he definitely didn’t win two championships. If I didn’t know any better I’d think you spoke of your child as a cover for you being one yourself and not being old enough to have fathered one.

• ProHabs says:

What is with the man crush with Gomez Tommyboy?

• sevenman says:

Nice post ProHabs. Is that the best you can come up with, “man crush”?

17. durocher says:

Proof RC doesn’t know what he’s doing: according to PP practice lines, 1) Weber won’t be scratched tomorrow (he should not wear the CH ever again), and 2) Pleks is on the point of the PP (didn’t he see up close the Pleks point experiment failing?)

If Gill is traded, so be it, he shouldn’t be back next season. Hopefully we can get something decent in return.

18. TomNickle says:

So apparently The Ghost is in Los Angeles to watch the Kings v. Flames game. If he’s even entertaining the thought of acquiring Dustin Penner he needs to be fired immediately.

• Stev.R says:

Gomez for Penner? Would you? I would.

• TomNickle says:

Well with Richards, Kopitar and Stoll I find it unbelievable that they would have interest in Gomez.

Hypothetical question.

• TomNickle says:

I’m conflicted to be honest. The only time Penner shows anything resembling effort is when he’s hurting himself digging into the pancake stack. I might be willing to absorb another two years of Gomez if it meant Penner never wearing the CH. Many feel Gomez is a disgrace to the jersey, and I understand why they feel that way, but Penner on his best day has never shown the effort level that Gomez brings on his worst.

• Stev.R says:

Penner 3m left and in last year of his contract. Plus bigger. I wouldn’t really want either of their contracts. I wouldn’t want Penner on any contract past this year tbh.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve never thought Gomez was a disgrace. I think he’s just not very good anymore.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LA Loyalist says:

I was going to go to that game tonight but my kid had practice and homework :-( — I advocated for Penner last year, and I was wrong. He is a complete disaster here.

As for PG being here, LA would have made him an offer for Cammi – I guarantee it. I am happy enough with Bourque but isn’t it PG’s job to maximize the return on the few tradeable assets we have?

Or am I just clueless?

• TomNickle says:

You guarantee it? Brad, their GM traded him away and their current coach didn’t even negotiate with him when he had exclusive rights. Oh, but you guarantee it. So let it be written, so let it be done. Tell Tinkerbell I said hello.

• LA Loyalist says:

Kings have huge scoring problems, similar to us, actually.

Cammi is (or was) a sniper. Even I can put two and two together.

I can’t tell you my actual source, so I am at a disadvantage, but I was stunned PG only talked to Calgary when I heard it.

Of course it’s possible he talked to LA and they couldn’t come to terms, I would have more confidence if that were the case.

Maybe guarantee is too strong, but eminently logical will suffice.

• sevenman says:

Tom makin’ Loyalist look bad….again

• durocher says:

He’s there to scout Calgary — to offer Price and Subban for Cammalleri

• Habsbill24 says:

I hope he only bought a one way ticket. 3000 miles from Montreal is a good place for him.

• Mike D says:

Oh please, no Penner. Sooooo useless. Trade him to TO. Burke will likely overpay for him.

– Honestly yours

• Newf_Habster says:

Penner? Forget him. I would be pissed off if we got him, but I would feel much better that PG gets fired after this trade.

OMG. Twitter is all abuzz with #Tanking™ Talk

20. Marc10 says:

ECF: NYR vs Boston
    WCF: Chi v Detroit
    SCF: NYR v Chi (Chicago to win)

21. novahab says:

I agree with a earlier post that Gill is being sat, because there may be a move. i think this is his last season, and PG may have asked him, if he can find a winning team would he like to go. I think it’s a classy move giving him a chance to end his career on a winner instead of daling with this mess.

Here’s a variation on the SD questions post. My fearless prediction for this season’s play-off final two rounds:

ECF Boston versus Philadelphia
    WCF St. Louis versus Vancouver
    SCF Boston versus St. Louis

Who do think or who would you pick to be in the final four and who goes onto the Stanley Cup Finals?

• punkster says:

ECF – Habs versus Quebec City
      WCF – Winnipeg versus Hamilton
      SCF – Habs versus Hamilton

Habs win in a 7 games series anchored by their 23 year NHL veteran defenceman PK Subban and 19 year NHL veteran goaltender Malcolm Subban whose backup (the aging Carey Price) played outstanding in a 1-0 game 6 OT victory to send the series to a game 7 at the recently remodeled Montreal Forum. Habs coach Hayley Wickenheiser, fresh from her final French proficiency exam, expressed deep appreciation to her mentor, Jacques Martin, for his years of behind the scenes assistance in finally bringing the Bettman Cup (once known as the Starley Cup) back to the glorious city of Laval, as the city of Montreal was once called prior to the catastrophic bridge events of 2014.

Edit: Wait…you meant this year?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFanSince72 says:

St.Louis sure are flavour of the month. But they are, at most, the 5th best team in the West.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. They are 3rd in the Central but 3 teams from that division are in the top 5 over-all St. Louis being 4th over-all. They are in fact currently the 3rd best team in the West.

Needless to say I picked them because they have size and skill and along with Boston have an elite goal-tending tandem.

I also think the Blues are the team in the West that has the best chance of beating the Bruins, although Chicago or Detroit versus them in the SCF’s would be colossal.

• jmsheehy19 says:

ECF Boston Washington
      WCF San Jose St Loius
      SCF San Jose Washington

I’m going with the underachievers to finally break through.
      If Shea Weber is traded, than all this changes.

The west is going to be a lot of fun, regardless of how things turn out. SJ, Det, Chi, LA, St Louis, and Vancouver are all very good teams.

the east seems very average. I’m not saying NY isn’t deserving of their success, but I just don’t think they are that great. After Boston, every eastern team has at least one major question mark.

• LA Loyalist says:

They have Lundqvist. Probably the best goalie in the East, or arguably 1 and 1A with Miller. Otherwise you are right, I think.

And they got rid of Gomez, which proves they are geniuses.

• kempie says:

No Chicago love at all huh?

• JohnBellyful says:

Bruins beat Rangers
      Hawks beat Wings
      Bruins beat Hawks
      Fans riot in Vancouver and Montreal

• powdered toastmann says:

St. Lou probably has the best goal tending but that may not be enough against Chi, Det or Van. who I think are each superior to St. Lou in other facets of the game.

23. SnowManHabs85 says:

Calgary putting Brett Carson is on waivers, wouldn’t mind if Habs picked him up. 6’4 210lbs defender, at a low price of .55

Anyone got 55 cents?

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Stev.R says:

I think he would be a good pickup. Only reason not to I can see is if we have too many guys better than him in the system, which we might.

• showey47 says:

Not sure why the flames would put him on waivers due to his cheap contract.Maybe they have a healthy body coming back and need to make room.

• powdered toastmann says:

Not familiar with him but his size (and if he has any truculence) should be considered as desirable traits given the lack of these traits in most of the d on board right now.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

So you don’t have 55 cents?

24. Newf_Habster says:

Can we bring Pierre Lacroix in here from Colorado? If so, I think he will be a great addition!

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Isles 2-0 Philly

TANKAPALOOZA BABY!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

26. montreal ace says:

I see lots of talk about Rick Nash, he has the same points total as Ryder who we let walk for nothing. I know Nash is better, but was Ryder that bad, I mean he had 30 goal seasons, he was not a fluke. This club needs a man who lives and breathes hockey, and knows talent.

27. D Mex says:

Time for something a little different :
    For all who have long believed Don Cherry is full of it, it’s now official : have a look at the last segment of this where he openly states that he swallows 4 caps of $h!t a day : it’s a be-yew-tee !

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

28. PureGuava says:

If they scratch Gill it will only add to the pile of classless, and highly questionable moves the team has made this season.

Gill has been a rock since he’s been here – why throw him under the bus now?

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

• SlovakHab says:

OK, I’ll bite.
      Trading Cammalleri during the game to make sure he doesn’t get injured is not classless – it was a very fair step towards CGY as well as the player
      Sitting an old D-man is not classless – it’s team decision. We have many defencemen and they need to rotate. Nobody throws him under the bus. He is earning millions and sitting 1 single game is not a shame. I don’t see anything questionable in any of the moves.

• showey47 says:

We all know gill is going to be traded sometime between right now and feb.27th. For all we know it could happend in the next couple of days.Maybe that is why gill is potentially being sat.

• PureGuava says:

If that’s the case – then sit him….But if he’s being sat for performance reasons…I completely disagree. The best Penalty Kill in the league has a hell of a lot to do with him.

I love the Cammy trade, and had previously called for Martin’s head many times…I have a problem with the timing of both moves.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
          – Robert Anton Wilson

• showey47 says:

I liked the cammy trade. The way it went down was pretty weird. As for JM being canned i was waiting for that for months. The only mistake PG made was it should have been done right after the game on the thursday against the flyers instead of saturday just hours before game time. At least this way RC could have had a couple of practices before his first game. RC ended up not having a real practice till over a week later because they were on the christmas road trip and had no time between road games and travel.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That a veteran like Mr. Gill who pondered retirement at the end of last season and acknowledged that last summer’s contract might be his last have to sit one game occasionally to ice younger players is to be expected. If it is handled well by the team and coaches there is no problem.

I completely disagree that sitting Mr. Gill constitutes a lack of class from the Canadiens organization. You may be too sensitive to the Toronto-centric media view of our team.

Hal Gill is a warrior who has served our team well. He, a former Bruin and Leaf, has managed to even win me over. Having said that, he has outlived his usefulness for a team that will not make the playoffs. He will be rested when necessary and dealt to a contender for their Cup run in return for a pick(s)/prospect(s). There will be nothing but respect all around, and no hard feelings.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Sitting Gill would be another class-neutral act, keeping the total of classless acts at zero.

“Max Pacioretty could be our Phil Kessel”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Habsbill24 says:

Because he is done. The Habs shouldn’t be a retirement home for old noble players. Gill has no future with the Habs, no need to waste ice time on him when it could be spent on kids learning their trade.

29. deuce6 says:

Little off topic, but has anyone touched on the Gary Carter story? One of my boyhood heroes and it breaks my heart to hear he is basically on his death bed with multiple brain tumors..

Kinda puts things into perspective..No matter how high we put these athletes and sports figures on a pedestal, they are, after all, only human..

God Bless Gary and his family…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

30. montreal ace says:

BG,PG,JM, talk about household names in hockey.

31. Sean Bonjovi says:

For all the shifts Tomas Plekanec has played with “slumping” wingers in attempts to get production from those players, I’d like to see Pleks paired with whichever two wingers we have that give him the best chance to be successful.

“Max Pacioretty could be our Phil Kessel”
    – Sean Bonjovi

• SnowManHabs85 says:

I like to see Plekanec paired with a star player. If PG had balls, he would go after Ryan or trade Plekanec for Getzlaf. If a 1st round would be included, it better be next years 1st round pick.

• Bill says:

I like how your signature is about how stupid it is to listen to fans, while your post is a really hilarious trade proposal :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SnowManHabs85 says:

I know, would’ve added a smiley but the post did the job without a smiley.

32. Laramy87 says:

So cause im bored the leaf is on my tv right now. The leafs are up 2-0 after 5 mins of the game. How is it that any team jumps all over a team that is slumping. If this were montreal it, habs would be down 2-0 already.

I bet the Wild wish they were playing the Habs, they are the slump busters for any team

33. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, gang, pucker up, time for another one-minute Face Wash, from your favourite Mr. Know-it-all, Milt Dunno. Who’s getting wiped this week? None other than the Montreal Canadiens and their fans. Whatta bunch of losers. Team hasn’t won a Cup since ‘93, it’s taking a nose dive in the standings, nobody can score– and the fans are whining like it’s the end of the world. It’s not. It’s the end of the season. It happens. Just a little earlier this year, that’s all. Get used to it.
    Ya know what the problem is? Decades ago the Canadien teams spoiled the fans by being perennial champions. Now it’s the team that’s spoiled. As in meat that’s gone bad. The Habs used to be filet mignon – that’s for all my francophone fans – and now they’re Chuck Roast (third round pick, if I remember right). Playing like ground beef – hamburger that’s in desperate need of some helper.
    What’s a helper, you ask (thank you, caller, from inside the Habs’ dressing room). A helper is an assist ON A GOAL! (Goal: You can look this one up on your own, caller, I got a segment to finish).
    What was it they used to say, ‘A good offence is a good defence’?
    Then JM came along and it became: ‘A good defence is a good offence.’ Yeah, right.
    JM’s gone, so what is it now? ‘No offence is offensive.’ Tell me about it as I hold my nose. An offensive team – truly offensive – that doesn’t score goals. Is that like a jobless recovery?
    But you know me, I’m a positive person, someone who sees the silver lining in a plaid jacket, a half-glassed kind of guy. Montreal will turn it around. Trust me. It’s goin’ to take some time but the Canadiens, with their history, know how to overcome adversity, they know how handle a rebound.
    Unless it goes to Gomez.
    I’m outta here…

34. RiverviewCanadien says:

Posters are coming out and wanting Plekanec to be traded because he is going through a slump right now. I will not repeat what has already been said time and time again about what he is capable of on the ice. He is not the issue; neither is trading him the solution to the Habs #1 center woes. Plekanec should be played like our #2. Less 5 on 5, more time for PK and 2nd wave PP duty.

Gomez is the Achilles heel no matter how you look at the situation (or find him amicable). His contract has a massive cap hit with no results on the season (not one friggin’ goal), and nobody needs to be reminded it is a cap world and star centers get paid those BIG bucks for results. If he cannot produce at or VERY near to a PPG for the rest of the season (or even in the next month), his contract must be absolved somehow this year. If Scott can produce at that level (without being re-injured), that is the only way you even think about keeping him on the books. I just don’t see it happening.

7.3 in cap space lands you that #1 star center. Done. Who that player is….no idea, but the cash is in the bank.

Eller cannot be a #1 at this time, I see 3rd line duty for him. Keep his legs fresh and his play hungry for another goal. He is still young and learning and making mistakes worthy of being benched. Don’t put that pressure on him right now.

Desharnais is great and all, but I always wonder in what game he is going to get that BIG check in the open ice or on the boards. I would trade him while his value is high. Remember, we still have Leblanc in training (could probably replace Eller or Desharnais). Basing this on the fact they will play him at center rather than wing.

Eller, Desharnais or Leblanc is my choice as 3rd line center.

So who is the 4th line center? Probably a trade or a pick up? But these guys can’t be hard to find, nor will they cost cap space.

What to do about the wingers, defence and goaltending (well not so much here, keep Price, but play your backup more, especially when he is playing well!) is another story, at least in my opinion, but I ranted long enough.

• ABHabsfan says:

I’m thinking Gaustad as 4th line centre

• RiverviewCanadien says:

No issues with that suggestion.

• Stev.R says:

I’m with you on this one. I made a list of a couple guys last week Montreal could realistically get for next year. Gaustad was one of them to hol down the fourth line. The other was Sarich to be a shutdown guy on D that can help guide the young players (going to have a young defense next season)

• Un Canadien errant says:

After seeing his performance against the Bruins and Milan Lucic, but how much of a bully he was against smaller Canadiens players, I don’t want that guy on our team. I prefer guys like Travis Moen or Ryan White, who play hard but fair, against everyone.

Going back in the past, if we’re going to add pugnaciousness, we should look for guys like Shayne Corson, Mike Keane, Lyle Odelein, Mike McPhee, Mario Tremblay, Donald Dufresne. Character players you can be proud of.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• kempie says:

Evander Kane.

• powdered toastmann says:

First off… I think players like Corson, Keane, Odie, McPhee, Tremblay etc were great, but don’t kid yourself, they took their shots when the opportunity presented itself and when warranted. They weren’t exactly pure as the driven snow. I remember Odie suckering Rob Ray in a game in Buffalo…Corson, McPhee, Keane and Tremblay being nasty (when required).

We can’t be so choosey that we only focus on the players who play to a certain high ideal (should be the way to go) but we all have an idea of the reality of today’s NHL.

• ABHabsfan says:

Gaustad’s ability in the face-off circle makes up for his lack of cajones when it came to defending Miller. Just because you’re 4th line doesn’t mean you need to be a pugilist.

• Stev.R says:

Need a big number one center? Look no further than Grigorenko. Keep that in mind before punching a wall after we lose a game this year :)

• montreal ace says:

The only reason I want Plecs to do more is that Gomez does nothing. On most teams Plecs is doing more then enough, and trading him does not come up. I find myself looking for extra points and play from others, because Gomez gives nothing. I have not really picked on Gomez, as I knew in order to succeed we needed him to produce. I am tired of waiting for production from a guy who does not have it in him anymore. I want him with the Bulldogs, where I am sure life will give him some reasons to smile still. I want a #1 center who we trade or draft for, and I want Plecs to be our # 2, where he does a great job

35. Stev.R says:

Just heard on TSN a guy say we needed to fire PG now becasuse there were a lot of big decisions to be made. Besides the fact that if we fired him we would have nobody to make those decisions other than a new guy completely unfamiliar with the team, it’s players, and the organization, people seem to forget that we don’t have any assets that anybody wants. We could maybe get something decent for Plekanec, but nothing to fix the team.

I think people need to get a clue and realize we are in the middle of a rebuild. Except we did it without completely gutting the place. Pitt, Edm, Was, and Chi are like Mike Holmes. Sure he’s able to fix the house but he does by basically tearing everything down and redoing it. Mtl lives in the real world where you can’t do that. We stayed competitive aside from this season, and now have 8 players in the lineup playing in their second full season or less. This includes, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Subban, Eller, White, Diaz, Weber and Emelin. Plus we have several promising prospects in the system, and hopefully another couple solid ones coming this spring.

It’s amazing how people bitch about MTL trading away solid young players, but they’re also the first to whine about how we should trade them.

• Stev.R says:

Not to mention we were again marred by injuries this season.

Lets look at what PG has done:

Traded Cammy for Bourque. Jury is still out on this one but reaction seems to be positive.

Traded Spacek for Kaberle. Kaberle being our top scoring defenceman since he’s got here. His cap hit is 4.25 which is low and it’s ridiculous how people try to make it out to be killing our team. Also, if he plays well, he’s an easily movable asset. This trade is such a non-issue it’s amazing the reaction it got.

Signed Cole. Best player this year.

Claimed Betts. Would’ve been a solid pickup if he were not injured.

Signed Woywitka. Would’ve been a solid pickup in NY hadn’t claimed him.

Drafted Beualieu. A steal of a pick.

Let Wiz go. Wiz sucks (deleted) this year.

Traded SK74. Te guy was such a cancer on this team and everyone wanted him gone.

Traded O’Byrne. We got Bournival out of this deal. Solid trade.

Traded for Wiz. Turned our PP around. Solid trade.

Signed Markov for 3 years. Signed one of the best defensemen in the league who was homegrown for 3 years after the doctors said he’de be ready for the start of the season. Cap hit has not made any impact on our cap until he plays so we can’t determine whether it was a bad signing til he comes back and we see him play.

Signed Campoli. Got a guy who arbitration would have said was worth 3m for 1.5. Brought in as a safety net in case young players couldn’t carry the weight. Unlucky he got hurt.

Got Emelin over to America. Well done.

Traded D’Agostini. Got Palushaj, one of our top prospects and got rid of another cancer in the room.

Traded Halak. Price easily the better and younger goalie. And we got Eller out of it. May have been able to get more, but the longer that situation carried on that worse it would have been for the team.

Fire JM. He fired him even though the only problem with his “system” is that the players stopped doing it in the third period. Nothing has changed since he’s left.

• Stev.R says:

And if anyone is going to bring up Gomez, I mean what is he supposed to do. Nobody will trade for him and the organization is paying him 7m. You could put him in the minors to clear up cap space, but maybe you haven’t heard but there isn’t any 7m dollar players waiting to be signed (Yashin aside). And maybe people have noticed his last two games he was pretty good. Contrary to what you might read, he has been playing like that all year but people still (deleted) on him. Even though his cap hit is a killer, he is more useful on the team than in the minors.

• Stev.R says:

I think if people look at this team objectively, you can narrow it down the lack of success to three things.

1) Injuries

2) Star players underperforming (Cammy, Gio, Gomez, Subban, Pleks to some degree)

3) Players not playing hard for 60 minutes.

Now the first one is unpredictable. The second, even if you could predict that, usually so could everyone else so you wouldn’t be able to unload their contract. The third one is on the players. You can say that PG should get players that will play 60 minutes, but thats all hindsight.

36. Bash says:

Not sure if this has been posted yet..Hilarious!! Stewart expresses his opinions about the Bruins.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

37. CF says:

The main reason the PP is terrible is the lack of any player to shoot from the point. We had it with Souray, MAB, Wiz.
    Once again, PG got burned by thinking the team had a player who could do this—in this case PK Subban.
    If anyone remembers the game tying goal in game 7, I would have agreed.
    However, for a number of reasons, he canèt hit the net, and canèt get his shots thru.
    We won many games over the past four-five years because of the PP. In the 104 point season, it carried us. And against teams like Boston, if they gave us four PP’s, we scored on two of them in big games.
    Kovy was great, but the main reason was the booming shot from the point, shots that got thur screens, maybe out of fear, but it also gave the forwards on the half wall more time to set up with the puck. Everyone knows we have no shot, and therefore fall back to pressure our forwards. WE have no solution as long as we have no shot from the point. It’s the GM’s fault.
    He thought Markov would play—-epic failure.
    He thought PK would/could make our PP click—-epic failure.
    He took more that two seasons to realise we were too small—epic failure.
    He hasn’t communicated properly with anyone on the team, media, fan base, on his own staff for christ’s sake.—-epic failure. It’s 2012.

So, what we have here are the dogs in the media from Taranna, (deleted)all over our team, and slamming it every day. Not quite the culture to attract or keep players. And the media moguls in Taranna are loving it. Lapping it up, they’ve waited a long time for their sad sack history of losing leafs to actually be in a better place than us.
    It’s sad, very sad.
    We have to win the remaining games against the leafs, have to.

• gmur says:

Last game of the season: Montreal against Toronto in MTL. Best scenario (though unlikely): Montreal beats Toronto to eke out the last playoff spot, past Toronto.

Other scenario: Montreal beats Toronto to deny them a playoff spot in the last game… like Toronto did to MTL a few seasons ago. That would put a twist in CBC, TSN, etc etc broadcast plans.

38. matt jordan says:

I think the pathetic powerplay is the main reason this team is two points out of last in the east. Since the lockout it has been twice as productive as this season, and if you add another twenty to twenty five goals from the powerplay to this team, you have a playoff team probably in about sixth or seventh in the east. The powerplay is so awful its not even generating any chances, let alone not scoring goals. I don`t think this team is a contender by any means, but they are not as bad as their record suggests and the powerplay is the main reason.

The second thing that has cost this team is the exodus of veteran defenseman via free agency the past few years. Wizniewski, Hamrlik, Streit, Souray etc. So many effective defenseman that were basically all in the Canadiens top four are now playing somewhere else… Hamrlik and Wiz were a decent second pairing last season have been replaced by Emelin and Diaz, decent hockey players, but not top four quality at this point.

Thirdly, the actions of GM Pierre Gauthier the past few seasons have been… puzzling. He has made some good moves, like bringing in Erik Cole… But firing Perry Pearn? Trading Cammalleri after the second period of a one goal game while the team is apparently still in a playoff race? Many of PG’s moves stink of desperation. Acquiring Kaberle and his brutal contract when no one else wanted him was confusing at best, and has had little to no effect on the powerplay. Kaberle has become part of the problem and not the solution already.

Fourthly, and again this speaks of the GM’s actions (Both Gauthier and Gainey are guilty), is the trading of draft picks for good hockey players, such as Dominic Moore, Tanguay or the Wiz, has taken the draft pick assets away from the most competant person in this organization, Trevor Timmins. If the GM of this team is going to trade away second round picks for solid players like Moore or Wiz, at least bring them back, don’t let them walk five months later!

Finally, the Gomez trade. Ugh. The cap space devoted to a player who does bring something to this team… but zero goals in a year for any NHL forward? Colton Orr and Cam Ward have goals this season. This is why PG has had to let Moore and Wiz walk. Ryan McDonagh plays 25 minutes a game for a first place team…

39. Stev.R says:

Who is the top 5 players of all time (offensively)?

1. Gretzky 2857 points
    2. Lemieux 1.88 ppg
    3. Bossy .762 gpg
    4. Jagr One of only three players to win Art Ross from 1980-2000. He won 5.
    5. Orr 1.39 ppg

Or Richard, Yzerman, Howe, Sakic, Bourque, Messier… somebody else?

• Timo says:

Scott Gomez – SP 1000

• punkster says:

Now that’s a good question and possibly the most reasonable discussion topic that can be had on here today.

My impression of top players is not limited to goals or assists but encompasses play making ability and overall expertise at all aspects of the game.

Gretzky, hands down, number one. The guy was a magician with and without the puck. For me whoever rounds out the remaining 4 can be argued ’til your blue in the face.

But to play the name game I’d say the remaining 4 spots would be Howe, Messier, Lemieux and Orr not necessarily in that order.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

40. The Dude says:

The only coach who could have good success with Gomez is Barry Trotz “Nashville”…that coach is the best and players love him.

Question!!!
    Who can come up with the first name for Ty Cobb. I have money riding on this, that if I were to put this question on here, I would get the correct answer, with proof! I come up with Tyson and Tyrone. But who can come up with the proof!
    Thanks for your help people!

42. bellcentre hotdog says:

A buddy sent me a link to this video, and if you’ve got 10 minutes it’s worth checking out.

The video was seemingly produced by a Canucks fan.

It has been edited, and it seems that the Jon Stewart comments were not actually made in reference to the Bruins.

But it’s worth a watch. Alain Vigneault is absolute gold.

43. Digger03 says:

Anyone else notice that when reading trade rumours it never seems to say anything about teams being interested in any Habs players? It always seems to be Montreal is interested in “so and so” but never the other way around. Whats up with that?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Habs have lots of fans.

No one cares about trade rumours involving Carolina or Nashville.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• JayK-47 says:

Speak for yourself. All I want to read one morning is
        Nash traded for Campoli! S. Weber traded for Y. Weber! Gomez to Coyotes for a signed puck!
        Spontaneous parades erupt in Montreal on cold January weekday!

44. billylove says:

RIP Sarah Burke.

45. HFX-HabFan says:

The latest (unfortunate) news on the health of former Expos catcher Gary Carter:

46. Bripro says:

The next time the Canadiens are granted a PP, they should decline.
    I think they’ve scored more goals short-handed.

47. 44har48 says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Sarah Burke. I don’t follow Canadian athletes, but from what I read, she was a warrior and true pioneer. I am deeply saddened and my family’s thoughts and prayers go out to her family, friends, and fans.

48. gmur says:

Remember Tom ‘The Bomb’ Kostopolous? Lots of heart, skated fast, but harder hands of cement were never seen around the net? Gomez is starting to remind me of Tom… albeit a more skilled version. He is playing with heart… skates… stickhandles… he shoots, he … is stopped. Time and time again. A new Bomb? He certainly is bombing. Scott ‘The Bomb’ Gomez?

49. matt jordan says:

Apparently some bars in Quebec are offering free booze every time Gomez scores…

So far, no freebies obviously.

50. smiler2729 says:

Buffalo requests back to back games from the NHL sked makers in exchange for Friday home dates