‘So far, so good,’ Habs’ Price says about offseason training

It has been a busy summer for Canadiens goaltender Carey Price, but he got to take a break on his birthday when he turned 27 last Saturday.
“Just kicked back and relaxed in Kelowna, didn’t do a whole lot,” Price told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs about his birthday celebration.

Price, whose 2013-14 season came to an end when suffered a sprained knee in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final against the New York Rangers, returned to the ice a couple of weeks ago in Kelowna and is now skating with former teammate Josh Gorges, Canadiens forward Travis Moen and other NHLers who are out west.

“It’s probably been one of the fastest summers I can remember,” Price told Stubbs. “(Skating) is going pretty good so far. So far, so good.”

Price added that he’s looking forward to seeing the newly renovated Habs dressing room at the Bell Centre.

“I’ll be excited to see it, the (old) place was kind of a maze,” Price said of the original, small dressing room at the Bell Centre, which opened in 1996. “I got to look at the blueprints. It’s hard to picture from a piece of paper, but from what I hear it will be similar to Brossard (where the Canadiens have an expansive room in their training centre).”

Stubbs also asked Price about the vacant captaincy on the Canadiens with Brian Gionta now a Buffalo Sabre.

“I’ve always found the captain to be more of a ceremonial thing than anything,” Price said. “I don’t truly believe that leadership is defined by a letter on your jersey.

“I don’t think it really matters a whole lot. We have plenty of guys who have captain-type qualities. I’ve always joked that whoever has the C on his jersey is basically the guy who has to stick around after every loss.

“Whoever it winds up being, if there is a designated C, I’m sure he’ll do a fantastic job.”

•  •  •

Canadiens package and individual-game tickets go on sale online next month, the team confirmed Wednesday.

Tickets for five- and 10-game packages will go on sale Sept. 6 at 10 am ET, with individual-game tickets similarly available on Sept. 13 at 12 noon ET.

Here’s the link for information from the Habs.

•  •  •

Price helps put breakfast on the table for needy kids, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Price’s wife writes about their wedding day for lifestyle blog, Stu on Sports

NHL announces changes to draft lottery format, NHL.com

1. Say Ash says:

Lol Attention Ice Bucketers:

In its first-ever Sustainability Report, the National Hockey League (NHL) estimates its 30 member clubs use more than 321 million gal. of water each year, with roughly 12,500 gal. required to make one ice sheet. With so much water being used, the league is encouraging sports venues to take measures to use water more efficiently

2. habstrinifan says:

In world affairs, despite the shrinking of the world due to Internet and social media etc, and era of isolationism is at hand… somewhat inexplicably!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

Nice to see the Toronto Blue Jays are concerned with important matters at hand…. like the fact a small U.S. School has adopted a bird logo which looks similar to the BlueJay logo.

• krob1000 says:

In fairness I would mistake it for Jays logo they could have at least done the whole bird or something diff’t to differentiate it…ther e is no doubt that can be mistaken for one of the older Jays logos. They should worry about getting some pitching for next season….what a waste of an incredilbe…and I mean incredible 1through 4 in the batting order. The Reyes, Cabrera, BAutista, Encarnacion top of the Jays lineup is on par with any great club….then things start to thin out….having no 2nd baseman? having too many guys like Rasmus who strike out too often, having sat back and watched all of the teams ahead of them now go out and improve and basically toss away any polayoff hope was quite annoying.

Yah, I do agree the logo is much the same, but given the huge slide the Jays are in, I couldn’t help but post in this vain. :)

Seems to me the Jays are much like the Leafs during the infamous Muskoka 5, too easy to just go through the motions and not be held accountable.

I think it starts at the top with Rogers ownership and gets worse with Paul Beeston. Beeston had great success as the main beancounter during Jays HayDays, but Gillick ran baseball not Beeston.

I think as long as the Jays provide ratings for Rogers and decent gate there will be no change.

• krob1000 says:

Tell me about it…I had so much hope this yar and last. Now I know injuries have been key but the lack of an ace on the staff is inexcusable. 4 more wins and the team is stil in the mix despite the injuries. They have all of these young pitchers and my fear is when they mature there will be no bats to go with them…..they really should be capitalizing on Bautista/Encarnacion time. The amount of staff aces or no 2 starters that were available was ridiculous…and for the Jays ot not get one? inexcusable…Rogers has enough money to be taking over everything it seems and they can;t fork out for some pitching? ticks me off.

4. savethepuck says:

Here is #13 in the top 25 under 25.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

5. Psycho29 says:

With all the Hab TV questions…

Does anyone have something called “Prometheus”, a wireless TV Box? Just curious to your opinions…
    Had a demo with the creator last night. Too complicated for me to understand but very impressive.
    All movies, TV shows, PPV in 1080 HD. Even brand new movies that are in the theatre. Also all the NHL, NFL, and soccer games (home and away broadcasts)….Have a look:

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Carey Price will support a breakfast and lunch program in his community of Anahim Lake.

I can’t think of any program more beneficial to a community than ensuring kids who go to school are properly fed. Some will decry that that’s a parent’s job, but that’s a theoretical objection, the practical reality trumps that by far.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

7. Luke says:

1) Name a new band/artist you think we should be listening to.

2) Name an old band/artist/album you think needs a ‘bump.’

3) Name your musical ‘guilty pleasure.’

• DipsyDoodler says:

1) Vanilla Ice
      2) Sting: The Dream of the Blue Turtles
      3) Celine

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Luke says:

1) The Decemberists.
      2) Either Graceland by Paul Simon or Acadie by Daniel Lanios.
      3) Shakira.

Would be mine…

• Un Canadien errant says:

1) Not exactly new, but Japandroids.

2) Hüsker Dü/Fishbone

3) Creed. Yes, I said Creed.

• shiram says:

1. Ghost BC, they have a weird, religious sound, but mixed with some metal influence. I don’t really care for their theatrics, but the sound is good.

2. Faith No More, awesome 90’s rock, and Mike Patton sings like the best of em.

3. Indochine and Niagara. Indochine was like a poppier The Cure, very catchy. Niagara, just oozed feminity and sensuality, it was very appealing as a young boy, Muriel Moreno was such a stricking figure as a red head.

Honorable mention to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu’s Ponponpon, which is japanese pop engineered to stay in your head. The video is quite weird too.

• Thurston says:

1) Elvis

2) Count Basie

3) TV theme songs written by Sherwood Schwartz

• on2ndthought says:

1) Grizzly Bear
      2) Golden Earring or Babe Ruth (I’m a Montrealer)
      3) Flock of Seagulls (looks down in embarrassment)

“a cannonading drive”

• Forum Dog says:

1) Not exactly a “new” band, but White Denim is a bit under the radar and is very, very good (IMO);

2) Little Feat. Especially the Lowell George years. That or the classic Jackson Browne. Guy wrote so many great tunes, performed by him and countless others.

3) Rihanna – especially in video format.

• bwoar says:

1) Sockweb
      2) Bolt Thrower
      3) Wesley Willis

• krob1000 says:

1. Not new but new to me in last 6 months or so(these versions anyway)…. I get amazed everytime I see them..but if you you tube “Shinedown-In my house- “Simple Man” (old Skynrd song) and therir other song “45 ” at the same guys house you should come away impressed …some dude has a house party and must have won some prize for Shinedown to show up at his house….the stripped down version is incredibly good for them at some house party

2. Anything Alice in Chains is always great. Candlebox was under appreciated…same with Cinderella.

3. Guilty pleasure-Any hair band rock from the 80’s/90’s…I love it all…loved it all…still do….I know I sound like my Dad but I think older rock is better than newer stuff. The 70’s-early 90’s were incredible

• Kooch7800 says:

1) I am Legion – Great driving tunes
      2) Crystal Castles – Canadian and excellent electronica
      3) Lana Del Ray

• Shackles says:

Is Ed Sheeran new? The kid is a guitar prodigy.
      2. John Hiatt
      3.ABBA …Mamma-Mia…did I really type that?

1) Not new but reunited a few years back, Big Wreck
      2) The Beautiful South
      3) Diamond Rio/Sawyer Brown

• Cal says:

1. Nunovem- This band just formed recently, so on the main they are pretty much anonymous.
      2. Leonard Cohen’s I’m Your Man album
      3. Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive.

8. Un Canadien errant says:

A couple of pieces on Tim Leiweike’s exit from the AEG CEO job.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

9. Un Canadien errant says:

Burli, not to ruin your morning but…

I expect more, er, nothing less from LeGarrette.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t know the players involved but this shows the real reason marijuana laws exist in the US: as a simple way for cops to arrest African-Americans.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Un Canadien errant says:

Setting aside “America’s War on Drugs”, these two young men have millions of reasons to abstain from the chronic. The arrest further demonstrates the poor discipline and impulse control of LeGarrette Blount.

• BJ says:

As soon as government finds a way to tax a product that will certainly become legal very soon, it will be a non issue. Tons of good possibilities in the medical field and thousands of useful applications using hemp industrially. The USA has unfortunately turned prisons into a lucrative private enterprise business and any excuse to put someone behind bars is what the puppet masters to governments and its so called “law makers” ask in return for the funds to get elected.

Yah, this doesn’t bode well for my Steelers, pretty stupid decisions these two made, and no wonder Blount bounces around the league despite his talents.

While the NHL has made some big TV deals, can it really ever compete on a global stage or even the American stage with the other Big 3 pro leagues?

Kevin Durant the NBA star has an offer from UnderArmour reportedly worth between $265million and $285million for 10 years. No NHL player can ever come close to demanding much less receiving such an endorsement deal.

• arcosenate says:

I keep telling my boss about my intangibles but he just gets pissed off.

“The things that Brooks Orpik does,” Trotz said earlier this summer, “you can’t put a value on.”

I thought you put a value of 5 years and $27.5 million on those “things”.

Great tweet from Chris Cuthbert regarding Leiweke:

CCtsn: So maybe that Stanley Cup parade route Tim Lieweke allegedly drew up was really just his escape route.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

You know who Bourque is?

He’s the guy who always brings salad at a potluck.

Yeah I guess we needed salad, but you could try harder next time.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

13. Luke says:

So, Leiwkie is stepping down after all. June 30, 2015.

But, since I may or may not have dumped on Dreger in the past, I’d like to give him credit for this tweet:

@DarrenDreger: Good reporting, followed by denial, is often followed by an announcement. Case in point…

Freidman (TSN Competition) broke the story last week, and took a bit of heat for it. Dreger’s giving Elliotte a bit of a pat on the back, crosiing the party lines. Good for him.

• Kooch7800 says:

Toronto Gong show

• Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s wondering if he is leaving, or was he told he had a choice to leave or….

I think the Bell/Rogers marriage through ownership of MLSE is beginning to rear its ugly side. The fact Rogers got all the NHL rights only fuelled the fight between these two sides. Then throw in an ego bigger than both of those companies who is supposed to keep them at bay, and I think there were some very interesting board meetings.

Story was written the other day by Bruce Arthur, where reportedly upon Leiweke first being hired, he was asked by board who he would like to hire as President of Leafs, and he answered Brian Burke. This after Burke was just fired by them. That is quite the start to a relationship and shows the egos in play.

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli

This guy was way too vocal for a sport he knew nothing about.
          Look at his time in LA…

” When Dean Lombardi was about to hire Darryl Sutter as coach of the Los Angeles Kings, he did what all general managers must do.

He went to his boss and informed him of the move he was prepared to make.

The conversation didn’t go well.

Lombardi was told in no uncertain terms that hiring Sutter wasn’t the right move, may be “the worst decision you’ve ever made” and speculated it “will end up costing you your job.”

Lombardi, who had worked with Sutter in San Jose, made the hire he believed in nonetheless.”

And as the saying goes, the rest is history.

I hadn’t seen that report before, thanks for that! I always got a kick out of how he took credit for the Kings Cup, given that the L.A. Kings franchise had a long, slow and patient rebuild which began prior to Leiweke’s arrival with the Kings.

14. Kooch7800 says:

Round and round we go….
    Leiweke steps down:

• Un Canadien errant says:

One of the very bizarre chapters of the Leafs story.

Tim Leiweke was hired by Phil Anschutz to get him an L.A. NFL team and failed at that. He got bounced, then snapped up by MLSE to bring respectability back to the Leafs and bring an NFL team to Toronto. He did neither there. But he did plan a parade, anger the last Cup-winning team members, pre-emptively extend Dave Nonis to ensure he doesn’t, uh, what, get signed by an OHL team? Was there a great demand for his services outside of Toronto?

Now Tim Leiweke departs, but not before chaining the Dion Clarkson anchor around the Leafs neck.

• Kooch7800 says:

strange times indeed. I have sent the link to a couple of Leaf fans I am good friends with and they all had the same reaction of “what the heck is going on in Toronto”

No matter what business though it seems the ones who can sell themselves the best seem to get decent high paying jobs. When they cannot produce they somehow always land on their feet somewhere else. I see it in the industry I am in and I always find it interesting how some of the people stay employed at top high paying jobs when they are absolutely useless.

15. Paz says:

Something to consider,

Players are assigned a role to play on the team, explained what is expected of them, and then judged on that basis.

Subban was given an offensive role by coach Therrien. Taking a player off the penalty kill, where he played extremely well, and given huge power play time, says it all.

Similarly, Desharnais plays offensive minutes in an offensive role.

Eller rarely is given offensive minutes, as another example.

Then, we as fans, take the other side of the equation and criticize the players for not being “complete” players.

Subban is criticized for his plus/ minus, Desharnais for his defence, Eller for his offensive production.

Players “develop” their skills even at the NHL level.

Subban was developing nicely as a PK dman and as a “shut down” dman under Jacques Martin. That “role” was taken away from him by Therrien, and that part of his game has not developed as well since.

• New says:

It is sort of like building a house. Carpenters make bad plumbers who make bad electricians who are lousy at drafting. A good contractor knows how to use his agents to achieve maximum return on investment. Once Martin, Cunnyworth, and the Ghost were gone the Canadiens stopped using landscape architects to lay out the HVAC system. Now a little QC on the concrete delivery and they should be fine.

• Phil C says:

Players are given a role, however given that Therrien does not really match lines and prefers to roll his lines 5-on-5, the player’s production at even strength becomes a great way to assess/compare the players. For example at even strength, Eller was not very productive last season even though his ES icetime was within one shift of DDs, so I think this criticism is fair.   Same thing for Subban’s defensive play at even strength which was not as good as it should be.

16. DipsyDoodler says:

I know Boone wisely avoids this blog but his Liverpool FC have managed to find possibly the one player crazier than Luis Suarez to replace him.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Forum Dog says:

He’s right that the expectations are going to be a lot higher this year….

The Habs should be able to compete again this year, but all it will take is an injury to Price or another top player, or to have one or more of the new acquisitions be a total flop, to scuttle things. I am excited for 2014-15, but I view it as a growth year rather than one where they are legitimate contenders. That is still at least 2-3 years away.

• arcosenate says:

I think Manny Malhotra is going to be a bigger contributor than expected. His face off talent will make a huge difference to a team used to starting without the puck.

• Forum Dog says:

Agree completely. He is a piece they have been missing for a long time, even if he is in the latter stages of his career. Big, good skater, NHL’s best faceoff man.

17. Forum Dog says:

Hate posting about the Bruins, but the Subban connection just adds to the rivalry:

This kid is going to be good. He’s got decent size, and obviously he knows how to play the position. Pretty good numbers for a 20 year old in the AHL. And he was dynamite in Belleville as a junior. It’s hard to project goalies, but he seems to have the right makeup.

• Maritime Ronn says:

While one never knows what the future holds, yet there is a fella already in Boston named Tuukka Rask – the current Vezina holder.

He is just 27 years old, yet maybe more important, he will start Year 2 of an 8 year contract with a Cap Hit of $7M.
      Subban’s wait might be very long unless traded.

18. Habs_101 says:

It seems everyone is generally content with a top nine of;

Patches – DD – Parenteau
    Gally – Pleks – Sekac
    Bourque – Eller – Gallagher

Or some very similar combination… interested in what people would do to improve our PP this season? Possible combos… (sorry dog days!)

Patches – Gally – Gallagher
    Markov – Subban

Pleks – DD – Parenteau
    Bealieau – Gilbert

???

GO HABS GO!

The best part of that top 9 is it leaves us a 4th line of Prust/Malholtra/Weise or Moen instead of someone… A very effective grinding/skating line.

• Habs_101 says:

Or bournival… who can absolutely fly!

Our fourth line depth is great right now, like Bournival because he can slot into the third line role as well. I don’t know how he will get into the lineup though?!

GO HABS GO!

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t mine Weise with Eller and Bourque.

That line is fast and he can create space. I think PA is the big qeustion mark cause if he isn’t in the top 6 he isn’t really that useful. I hope he can produce!

• savethepuck says:

I think you have to put Chucky on the 1st or at least 2nd PP unit. Too much skill there to not use him with open ice.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• vegas says:

wouldnt mind seeing the egg lin reunited

Paciorttey / DD / PAP
      Chucky / Eller / Gally
      Sekac-Bournival / Plekanec / Bourque
      Prust / Malhotra / Weiss
      Moen

19. Luke says:

“Behold, our Summer of Disappointment series, in which we ask fans of all 30 teams to recall the biggest bummer moments, teams and players in franchise history!”

• Rob says:

Anyone who thinks Bob Gainey was the most disappointing Habs GM ever must have slept through the late 90’s.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Luke says:

I thought that as well, but the author seems to be a bit “older” (than a kid like me), as his most disappointing team was a stacked ’67-68 team that missed the playoffs and not the Rucinsky/Zholtok/Petrov led team of the 90s which would have been mine.

I think he was looking at Gainey term through the eyes of a fan who hoped he’d be the conquering hero returning home to lead the Habs back to glory.

Yah, Houle/Trembley… worse. Much worse.

Absolutely nailed the Most Disappointing/Embarrassing moment though…

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed. Gainey brought the franchise back to respectability, and laid a foundation that MB has been able to build upon. During Gainey’s tenure they drafted the likes of Price, Subban, Pacioretty, etc. All of whom are supremely talented and the young leaders of this improving team. And during his time as GM, the Habs made the playoffs 6 of 7 years, and reached the second round or beyond 3 times. The one year they didn’t make the post-season, they hit 90 points and were eliminated during the last day of the regular season.

People focus way too much on the Gomez debacle. It looks worse in hindsight than it actually was. The Canadiens were desparate to bring in some new blood after getting spanked by the Bruins in the first round. Saku was done as a #1 centre, and Cammalleri and Gionta were available, but to lure them to MTL Gainey needed to have a legit NHL centre for them to play with. Gomez was a gamble, but it helped get the other guys signed and they immediately went to the Conference final.

He has lots of detractors but, considering what he has done for the MTL franchise over the course of career as a player and GM, Gainey deserves a little more respect IMO.

The executive/GM I don’t agree with, while Gainey made blunders, I also thought he brought credibility back to the franchise after being a rudderless ship for what seemed like forever.

I think the Houle/Tremblay debacle was worse and showed complete panic in the organization.

• Rob says:

Absolutely. Didn’t bring us all the way back and made some rash decision that in hindsight (and even at the time) were obvious mistakes. But before he came on board, this franchise was spiralling towards a dangerous place where we could easily have found ourselves locked in mediocrity for a long, LONG time.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I agree, Gainey and Gillette (and Gauthier to be fair) helped build the team we have today.

Gainey made two huge mistakes. One we aren’t allowed to mention, and the other was letting all those free agents walk for nothing at the end of what I still refer to as The Season They Went Bowling. But otherwise he did OK.

But the worst GM was not Houle.

It was Irving Grundman, the Molson stooge and later indicted Montreal City Councillor who caused lasting damage to the club.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Rob says:

fair enough.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

Yes Grundman was a terrible GM indeed, that was indeed the start of the massive dropoff, and thankfully Geoff Molson appears wiser than his senior relatives in the handling of the franchise.

• Chelios24 says:

As bad as he was, in his four NHL drafts as Habs GM, Grundman drafted Gingras, Naslund, Carbo, Nattress, Ludwig, McPhee, Penney, Hunter, Chelios, Delorme, Kurvers and Maley…not as awful as I would have thought.

• Kooch7800 says:

don’t forget though a lot of the mistakes were made shortly after his personal life was in really bad shape. Losing his daughter in the manner he did would be devastating to anyone and to try and function in a workplace I don’t know how he did it.

• savethepuck says:

I really have to disagree with the article saying their most disappointing era was the Gainey as GM reign. I was curious so i looked it up and the previous 8 years of Rejean Houle and Andre Savard were much worse IMO. In those 8 years the Habs managed to attain 90 points once, their highest total. In Gainey’s 7 year reign, their lowest point total was 88, every other season was above 90.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

I read the article then replied. Maybe I should of read some of the replies above after I read the article, seems to be a consensus on Gainey.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Cal says:

I have only two words to say regarding the Habs suckitude of the 90s going into the 00s: Ronald Corey.

20. Maritime Ronn says:

Alan Walsh is Jiri Sekac’s agent, yet a nice call out none the less.

Allan Walsh @walsha
    People attending #OctagonHockey pro summer camp in Montreal marveling about Jiri Sekac speed and skills.
    17:30 – 20 Août 2014

21. shiram says:

Some people are putting their hopes of improved scoring on Bourque and Eller.
    Both have issues with consistency, I think Eller can put it together, but there’s a lot of hard work ahead for him to do so.

I’m less enthusiastic about Bourque.
    He’ll be 33 in December, a long way away from his prime years, and he only ammased 21 goals and 16 assists in 128 regular season games with the Habs.

I just can’t see him reverting back to Flames day where he hovered around the 50 points total.

People are so focused on his playoffs numbers, and I admit those were great, but it’s a small sample size, and if anything, we should know Bourque can be hot for a short while, and cold for a long time.

I’d be very happy to see him pot around 15g/15a.
    A full healthy season would be of great help for him, obviously.

But I’m hoping there is an increase in production from Chucky, Bournival, Weise and Sekac.

• Cal says:

Bourque needs the ice time to get consistency. Having Eller with him consistently will help both of their production. With Parenteau likely taking Gallagher’s spot (and about time, too), I see Eller with Bourque and Gally as a speedy and physical 3rd line.
      If that line can deliver 60 goals it will be a very good thing.

Pleks, Chucky and Sekac (likely) should deliver another 60 goals.
      DD, Patches and Parenteau have to deliver 70 to 80.
      This should be the year Chucky steps up.

• arcosenate says:

I would love to see Bourque show up rejuvenated after his playoff success, he could do quite well with the right centre.

• shiram says:

Who knows how Therrien will play his players though?
        He always seems to have a move or two that seem to come out of nowhere and leave the fans scratching their head.

I don’t think Bourque would thrive in a top 6 role, unless they play him with DD/Max, which could be interesting.

nhl.com has a piece on Galchenyuk :
        A healthy season would go a long way to help him produce.

22. John Q Public says:

Hypothetically speaking, if Québec were to get a team would they then be the ace of spades ?
    I would say not in the first year but then yes.

23. Un Canadien errant says:

Allan Muir reviews the updated odds of winning the draft lottery for 2015 and beyond, in a handy chart format.

In the old days, when the league was more gate-driven, and there was no salary cap, there was a sense of fairness that a struggling franchise could land a generational player, or one with that potential anyway. Their fans could look forward to a new era with a Mario Lemieux, a Dale Hawerchuck or a Pierre Turgeon to take over their team and lead them to success.

Nowadays, with pro sports landscapes shifting, with capped costs and guaranteed revenue streams from media, the concept that a team’s very survival is at stake if they don’t land Gilbert Perreault is largely invalid. It makes sense to remove the incentive for a team to actively engineer losses. Fans buying season tickets shouldn’t be asked to ante up to watch a team that a GM stripped of talent and fire sleepwalk its way through a season to the bottom of the standings.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• Luke says:

I wonder why they have never moved to a ‘serpentine’ style draft… team that drafts first in round #1 drafts last in round #2. Team that drafts last in round #1 drafts first in round #2…

Am I the only one that think this makes sense?
      Surely, I can’t be.

Works great with my buddies in our hockey pool every year, we don’t tolerate tanking!

• on2ndthought says:

I think, if the purpose is to help teams that are struggling stock some talent, that the first two (or three) rounds be 1 to 30, and then start the serpentine. As mentioned on a previous thread, I’m still in favour of giving regional rights to teams.

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed, the justification for the draft is that it props up weak franchises, and gives hope to fans of teams that are struggling. So they get better picks in every round. Serpentine drafts even out the picks, and that works for fantasy leagues, but would work against the stated aims of a universal player draft.

24. Luke says:

‘Morning!

A thought occured to me this morning, did the Leafs front office sweep and move to a stronger analytics position with the hiring of Dubas occur after or before Gorges stymied the trade?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Clearly, chronologically, after the aborted trade.

But what’s your point?…

• Luke says:

Well, we never knew what the Leafs side of the deal was, but rumours had Fransen.
        (I had also heard Kadri, but that seems really unlikely).

It just seems to me that a Gorges addition for the Leafs would be an ‘olde-thymie, heart and soul good in the room, intangibles’ type move. Lateral at best, and if Fransen was the other side, arguably a step backwards.

Basically, to me, looking to add Gorges and then diving into the Stats seem at odds with each other. I was just pondering if Shanahan saw the ‘same old same old’ type thinking that landed Clarkson a $5.25 million cap hit and an untradeable contract in the attempted acquisition of Gorges and perhaps prompted him to say ‘enough is enough.’

Not the only factor, but the straw that concussed the camel’s brain. y’know?

(Maybe I’m just ready for hockey to start).

I see your point, but the Leafs are lacking that dman who is stay at home and is a team leader. They have uber young talent in Gardiner and Rielly, they have a beautiful glowing pylon in Phaneuf, and then the defence gets a bit dodgy with a rotation of players filling in roles. I like Franson, but he just seems to be in the Leafs doghouse (Carlyle’s forsure, but even mgmt. as they again just did a 1 year deal with him).

Gorges may not have fit the analytical needs, but he fit the needs of that team. Many of my leaf buddies were pissed they didn’t land Gorges.

• Paz says:

I like Gorges and Clarkson. These are great character players. Leaders. Players who push other players to work hard.

We have so much depth of character, Subban, Max, Prust, etc, along with Markov, Plekanec, and especially Price, that we are not missing much by unloading Gionta and Gorges.

But teams like Toronto seem to lack leadership so Gorges would have been a good fit there.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Completely agree Luke, I was being facetious obviously.

It will be interesting to see how the analytics teams fare. I see the Oilers as being a test case. They flat out said they targeted Benoit Pouliot and Mark Fayne in free agency, and they’re more of the hidden gem variety than sexy players like Dave Clarkson and Paul Stasny were.

To me, that indicates that the Oilers crunched some numbers and believe that their 2014 acquisitions were undervalued a great deal. If they thrive, score one for the analytics guys. If not, the critics, the old-timey boys, will shriek that they knew it all along, that those players failed the eye-test to begin with.

Sure, the Oilers have to ‘overpay’ to attract players, but on July 1 they acted like they were smarter than everyone else, and tipped their hand that they thought so. It had better work out for them.

25. 123456 says:

Regarding the draft lottery changes:

What I don’t get is what has changed the mindset since last year, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. Has this been debated in the past but not agreed upon? While I understand the change, and I actually like it, I just don’t understand why this was not done before. I know it’s not really a major change. I’m guessing the “bad but not bad enough” teams are sick and tired of the same teams getting great picks and still sucking!!!

• savethepuck says:

I think they are heading in a gradual direction to the draft changing even more. I could see that in a few years (maybe several years), depending on how low you place, getting more balls in the lottery and them just picking out balls for picks 1 to 10 or even 14. Last place will not be guaranteed at least a top 2 or top 3 like in 2016, but could realistically end up with a much later pick.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Maritime Ronn says:

Bettman may be concerned about great young players ending up in…Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg and not Long Island/Brooklyn, Nashville, and New Jersey

26. habs-fan-84 says:

“(Skating) is going pretty good so far. So far, so good.”
    Relieved to hear.

27. habstrinifan says:

@Timo re jailbreaking APlle tv3 gen.

Not into this techy stuff but coincidentally was at nephew’s wedding last weekend and they were talking this stuff.

He sent me the following.. maybe you may want to check it out.
    ========================================
    Jailbreak Apple TV 3.

Step 1. Install the latest version of iTunes in your PC.

Step 2. Download the Jailbreak Apple TV 3 Tool –
    Windows: http://reliablefiles.com/file/04O5D9
    Mac: http://reliablefiles.com/file/04O5F9

Step 3. Now Unzip the “Jailbreak Tool” and start on your PC.

Step 4. Select the Create IPSW button /next to start Jailbreak process.

Step 5. Now Start the download process for last Apple TV jailbreak Software in your Device.

Step 6. Connect your Device via USB cable on your PC.
    Use the micro-USB cable
    use “leave power disconnected”
    click on MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons)

Step 7. The Jailbreak Tool will complete the process for restore automatically. Confirmed when complete.

Step 8. ITUNES will do restore process.

See more at: http://www.grafischbedrijf.com/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-3/#sthash.YdV6XZqw.dpuf

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

28. Habs_101 says:

I know its been talked about lots, and I really have mixed emotions on it, but after debating and debating I really beleive if the Habs want to ice their best possible line-up DD and Moen should be dealt the total savings would 5.35 million… we could package them for picks or better, whatever we could get, but the cap savings alone would be worth it in my opinion. I would take a one year gamble on a winger then for the third line someone still available (Penner, Setoguchi) for one season as next year at least one rookie (Andrighetto, Hudon, De La Rose) should be ready to step in. We really need to ice a scoring top six, shutdown line that can contribute, and an energy fourth line responsible in our d-zone. To me;

Patches – Galch – Gallagher (give this line o-zone starts)
    Bourque – Eller – Parenteau
    Bournival/(Setoguchi) – Plekanec – Sekac
    Prust – Malhotra – Weise

If we are going to turn this team over to the young guys, we need to do it ASAP, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Eller, and Pleks should be given heavy minutes this season. Mid season or next offseason the priority should be a really great winger and we would have the cap space to pick up anyone with these savings… I think that would get us into the play-offs this season and real contenders two seasons from now and moving forward…

GO HABS GO!

• Kooch7800 says:

I think this season a few things need to be tested. Galchenyuk needs to take a step up and show he can be a top line player. Last year was a bit of a sophomore slump and I confident in his skills but dropping him in as a first line centre I think we would be in big trouble. He is 20.

DD still is one of our best offensive centres. If Eller can break out and play like he has in the playoffs and the beginning of last year then we can move a centre. Until then this team is offensively challenged enough.

Setoguchi isn’t worth a youngsters spot. His skating isn’t great and his offense has really dropped off.

I also don’t think Moen is going anywhere at this point. We need him for when Prust goes down. He is sound defensively and won’t hurt us in the bottom 6. We will need depth in the season and I can’t see a lot of teams wanting his contract at this point. Not to mention we have lost white now so we are down another gritty physical player.

• Habs_101 says:

I agree completely regarding dropping Galchenyuk in right away, Im just worried if he sticks on LW all season we will see MT using him 14 mins a night again, which is going to make it hard to break out. His potential is through the roof, and there is no doubt he will make mistakes, but he needs 18+ mins a game to have a great season in my opinion.

Regarding Moen you are probably right, but I don’t think we will see him drop the gloves once this season (at least for his sake I hope not) so Im not sure the depth he provides… we could sign cheaper replacements (even someone like Bisonnette would be ecstatic to take on the 13th forward role playing 20 games a year at 8 minutes a game, he’s underated in terms or fourth line abilities, I would imagine he would take league minimum and be pumped to play 8 mins a night much better than Parros) nearly 2 million for Moen is a massive drain on the cap in today’s era.

I am fine with keeping DD as well, just hope the youngsters get their ice this season!

GO HABS GO!

• Kooch7800 says:

This year I think with the moves MB has made with not keep Gio and Vanek he has somewhat forced MT’s hand a bit to give Chucky more minutes and he I think he can do well. It is to bad he missed most of the playoffs last year. I think if he had been there from the start he really could have helped us ( I realize he played in the rangers series) if he had a few more games under his belt.

I do expect big things from him this year. Min 45 points is my guess but I think he gets over 50 this year.

This year there is a lot of question marks on forward but I do much like a our D better!

• on2ndthought says:

DD is one of our young guys (27) who got better all year long last year , and had a good playoffs.

“a cannonading drive”

• Maritime Ronn says:

There may be another way to look at it.
      Hockey Nature has a way of deciding things, and it’s up to a player to perform, seize the moment, and prove he can move up the ladder.

Take Eller as an example. He did nothing during last season to force anything,and his giveaways and mental aspect/concentration left much to be desired.
      Yes, he had a wonderful playoff playing against Bottom 6 and Dmen numbered 3-6, but could he do that facing Top 6-Top 4 competition?
      New season, and it will be up to him to force the coach’s hand.

Almost the same goes for young Galchenyuk.

If there is one aspect that would be good to change up somewhat, that would be the Habs Power Play – especially the 1st Unit.
      Last season, the Habs PP finished 19th, and was a not very good 19.7% in the playoffs.
      Had it not been for the Subban-Markov production and contribution, the Habs PP would have been 25-30.

Put in perspective, the LA Kings who faced extremely tough playoff teams ( San Jose-Anaheim-Chicago-Lundqvist) had a PP percentage of 23.5%

From here, it would be great to see more Galchenyuk/Eller on the 1st unit as the possess a better tool box for PP such as puck protection, better size to go to the net, and better shots.
      Galchenyuk’s speed and quickness changes many things.

29. savethepuck says:

Just checked out TSN and noticed Carey is pitted against PK in the Franchise Faceoff bracket right now. Carey seems to be running away with it at 76.7% of the vote so far. I am a huge Carey fan and would pick him but I thought results would be much closer. Possibly results would be a lot closer if it was just a poll of Habs fans, but I think Carey gets the nod from fans of other teams across the country because of what he did at the Olympics and the way PK is sometimes portrayed negatively in the press.
    Bad news is the winner advances to the top 8 and has to go up against Crosby.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Maritime Ronn says:

The question from the poll:
      ” If you were starting an NHL franchise of your own, who is the one player you would select as your cornerstone?”
      ——————————-
      Perhaps in 2-3-4 years down the road, the results may be different, but as of this moment in time, it’s really not difficult to understand the vote.

Here’s believing several fans outside the Habs fan base see Subban as an excellent skilled offensive player – yet an incomplete, ‘work in progress’ Dman…. and that his 48 game season Norris win was based on having scored the most points in those 48 games when there was no inter-Conference play against the much tougher West opposition.

These same also mention that last year in a full 82 game season, Subban finished tied for 14th in the Norris Trophy voting with only 1 third place vote and 1 fifth place vote out of almost 200 voters.
      Agree or disagree about how Subban was not used at the Olympics, yet when management and coaching win a Gold….

Bottom line is that Subban is not quite there yet…

As for Price, there is little doubt in the NHL (When Healthy) he can carry a team on his shoulders as did Patrick Roy in 86-93, or a few other Cup winners such as Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek, and a guy like JS Giguere that also won a Conn Smythe when not winning the Cup.

• savethepuck says:

Can’t disagree with anything you are saying. I would definitely go with Carey myself. I think my point was that Carey getting over 3 out of every 4 votes is more lopsided than I expected. The same poll on this site may be closer although I am sure Carey would still probably come out on top.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Maritime Ronn says:

Online polls are what they are – a simple emotional love/hate click at the moment in time. As for Subban, there isn’t a lot of grey out there for him. He appears to force an emotion one way or the other.
          He can play on my team any time.

• savethepuck says:

I am ecstatic we have both of them and totally agree about online polls. I remember polls on TSN last summer or the summer before that Hall and Eberle were beating guys like Stamkos. That was truly a Canadian teams fanbase skewing results.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• rhino514 says:

I would not have said that of Price until this year. For the first time, he put together a good regular season and a great playoffs. I think him being chosen for the Olympics helped his confidence quite a bit.
        I wouldn´t have considered him to be among the league´s best half dozen (or even lower) goalies before this year.
        Still, Carey has yet t put together two really good seasons in a row. In the shortened lockout season he was good with a weak finish (yes, we could argue the defense was not playing well in fron of him towards the end, but if we follow that line of thought, I don´t believe this year´s defence on paper was much better than last year´s).
        However I just get the feeling, totally subjective, that he has come of age.

• Maritime Ronn says:

For Carey, it’s all about health and staying healthy.
          Last year, he went out against Ottawa, and then this year, he was hurt at the Olympics and again in the playoffs

• habstrinifan says:

Haven’t done the poll. But I will definitely agree with you that Subban, at this stage in his career is not the assured ‘cornerstone’ of a franchise as Price would be.

Franchise ‘cornerstones’ in todays NHL are also more readily granted to goalies WITH the caveat that in today’s NHL franchise cornerstones are not as ‘long lived’ as in former eras.

Also the competition for a ‘cornerstone’ status in the NHL is not as fierce for goalies as it is for defencemen right now in the NHL. I think you can rank the 3 best NHL goalies without as much argument as you would get ranking the 3 best NHL defensemen.

You are right re Price… he can carry a team on his shoulders. But if you look at the playoffs the last few years, goalies have been more the cornerstones of their teams… so they more often are ‘seen as carrying the team on their shoulders’ through stretches of games.

I think the question of Subban’s usage is very relevant. The Olympics example is too brief and inconsequential to dwell on. But his usage by the HABS is very relevant. It would determine how much he fulfills his ‘promise’ and how much he approaches ‘cornerstone’ status and in more dollars and cents terms… how he lives up to his contract.

There is evidence to show that that usage is not always wise… or at the very least not always acknowledging of the players abilities/talents.

An example. Subban was not used on the PP all season. It was not a case that he started out on the PP and lost his spot due to bad play. He was not used (rightly or wrongly) based on a coaching decision before any game evidence.

And YET… he was used in the playoffs .. without any significant drop-off in the unit’s efficiency.

I think it is fair to assess players abilities etc and make your personal judgments. But to provide honest commentary, you need to include all the factors which determine how a player is viewed.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The usage point is always interesting.
          Actually, Subban’s penalty kill time per game in the playoffs was equal to that of the season.
          He was the 6th Dman.

What was questionable was playing Subban almost the full 2 minutes on the PP.
          A few times he was caught on the ice at the end of the PP and was forced to play several + 3 minute shifts.

Hopefully with the addition of Gilbert/Beaulieu, that will be something of the past.

As for Subban’s presence on the PK, without him, the Habs had the 4th best unit in the NHL last season.
          In the playoffs with better competition, not very good.

• habstrinifan says:

I will check your link little bit later.. hit and run posting now.
            But from my recall, early playoffs Subban’s pk time non existent… later playoffs much more…. hence maybe the misleading average?

Also re HABS PK efficiency drop-off… again based on quick recall started falling before the playoffs… again the final regular season standing may have been misleading…. and of course the better competition.

• Kooch7800 says:

Well put Ronn.

The habs need both these players if they want a Cup and I am glad they are both habs signed for awhile

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think it is easier to rank goalies – they are on the ice all the time and the results are the results. True, the team in front matters enormously, but that doesn’t always factor into fans ranking the position.
        A defenceman is a more complex read. There should be a balance between offence and defence, dumb penalties, smart penalties, hits, toughness, speed, vision of the ice and intelligent choices, reflexes, ice time … it’s a hell of a thing to read.
        PK is unfortunately human, and he’ll need time if he is ever to put the whole deal together. He’s gotten himself a huge contract, and now the pressure’s on to have a huge career. Here’s hoping.
        Still, a great defenceman on a tear as part of a solid team is just that. A great goalie on a tear with a good team behind him can win the Cup.

30. Habfan10912 says:

I enjoyed reading the opinions on peoples complete hockey players. It was cool to see DD get some love for vision, rightfully so IMO.

I saw a nomination for Gallagher for the “Heart” trophy and I couldn’t agree more with that but a poster mentioned Max as a nominee in that category as well. That’s pretty cool as well. Max gets way too much grief by people here as some like to call him out for his “soft” play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 40 goal scorer (I now its 39 but close enough) get so little love from a fan base or at least from a very vocal part of it.

I still think its Gallagher’s heart that keeps him in the NHL but Max is a tough son of a gun who is a goal scorer on a team badly in need of it.

Whoever nominated Max for the “Heart” nice job!

-I also loved Punksters nominations on the HIO folks. Who could argue with JB as the Hall of Famer for vision and isn’t the word “shot” a nickname for Front? Great job Dave. Good stuff.

– Happy trails and safe travels to Ukrainian.

– Welcome back CJ and as a long suffering Met fan you get ZERO sympathy from me on your Yankee season. :)

Off on the bike before the rain hits. CHeers all!

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim. Mother and I have discussed our next vacation and are aiming to visit the city September 18-20. Hoping to catch a game at the Stadium and enjoy a meal at our favorite dive. Hoping we might find the pleasure of your company.

As for the Yankees and Mets, I only wish Casey was still around to offer a comment or two. Berra also did double duty, but I’m guessing Casey would be the better quote.

• savethepuck says:

I agree that Max should get more love from the fanbase than he does. Regarding some referring to him as soft, I also think that he was a lot more physical before his suspension for the Letang hit.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Thanks jim!

31. Mavid ® says:

I know its still painful….48

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

F!!! Just discovered that my apple TV is actually gen 3 (wife bought it 2 years ago and never really used it until now) so can’t jailbreak it. F!! F!! F!!

Does anyone want to swap their gen 2 with mine gen 3? You know, if you don’t intend to jailbreak it should be all the same to you :)

33. UKRAINIANhab says:

On my plane to Paris, I’ve mustered up some positive thoughts, ill need them, I intend to visit the catacombs if I can (google it :) )

Why the Habs will win the east…

– More Beaulieu
    – More Tinordi
    – No Gionta (Sorry man)
    – Less Gorges in corners
    – Parenteau > Briere
    – Motivated PK
    – Plekanec
    – Playoff Bork (hopefully)
    – Playoff Larry (hopefully)
    – Chucky finally emerging
    – No Frank
    – Malhotra takes load of Pleks
    – Healthy Prust
    – No Briere
    – Young Leaders
    – Pacioretty knocks 40
    – Desharnais will start better
    – Penalty Kill

Last but not least..

Price the best goalie in the game.

• PK says:

Hope you have a good trip UKRAINIANHab.
      Bourque and Larry are a “wait and see” when it comes to the regular season.
      Healthy Prust is questionable.
      Agree with the rest of the list.
      CHeers

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• southaltahab says:

What’s Malhotra doing?

• twilighthours says:

Enjoy, buddy. My wife and I were going to go to the catacombs but the lineup was a couple hours long.

If you can’t get there, there are some neat old Roman ruins right underneath the cathedral of Notre Dame. And there’s the old Roman arena (Arene de Lutece, Place Monge metro station), which is a bit off the beaten track but well worth it. Combine the arena with a stop at the Pantheon, the Latin Quarter, and Luxembourg Gardens. That’s a good day!

We liked Paris a lot. But we liked our trip to Normandy even better. The stop at Juno Beach was a lifetime memory.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Yea. Ive heard you can only get down to sortive the main tunnel.

Ive also heard you can go down with a group called the cataphiles, albeit illegally… And you could get lost so I may consider doing that lol. Yea, little extreme but whatever right??

Thanks for the recommendations! Normandy is 100% on my list.

34. ProHabs says:

Has Douglas Murray signed anywhere yet. If not, the Habs should bring him back for a year instead of Bouillon.

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

i do hope you are joking.

————————————————————————————————————
      If you are crazy, you can be discharged from the army. But you have to apply for the discharge, and applying demonstrates that you are not crazy. As a result, you will not be discharged.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Neither of them, I believe, has signed anywhere, nor should either of them re-sign here.

-The beatings will continue until morale improves-

• Mr. Biter says:

If we don’t sign some toughness Murray is a good 7/8 d-man if needed vs. certain teams even if he’s slower than Gill was he had many thunderous hits and defiantly cleared the net in front of Price.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• twilighthours says:

*sobs with face in hands*

35. CJ says:

Good evening friends.

I’ve enjoyed a little break. Sorry, likely more appropriately – YOU have enjoyed a break from me. Thought I’d drop a quick couple lines to keep everyone honest;

PK and Kovalev. A guy who tries, at times, to do too much versus a guy who, at times, simply didn’t do enough consistently. Both men possess all the talent in the world, so the attraction is natural. Funny isn’t it though…..our former players seem to find their closest connection to call out; Lafleur on Vanek and Max, Laroque on Parrors and now Kovalev on PK. Personally, I don’t put much stock in anything Kovy has to say, although this won’t be the last time that PK’s contract will fall under the microscope. Yes, PK is paid for unrealized potential, the expectancy of a rising cap, a premium to play in the highest taxed market in the league and his marketability among other variables. As such, his $9 million dollar contract average far exceeds his current market value for the 2014-2015 season. One could point to the manner in which the deal is structured and be correct in claiming that the actual salary this season is $7 million, but the truth almost always limits the ability to extend a worthless discussion. Fact is, the contract will look bloated for the first 1-3 years, will hopefully be fair value in years 4 and 5 and will become undervalued in years 6-8. This, again, is only my opinion.

So, Price is skating and sounds relaxed. That’s good news. I have a sinking suspicion that we are going to need him to be even better going forward, so go ahead Carey – rope ‘em, ride ‘em, whatever it takes to get you ready for what promises to be a very busy year. I’m going to chill, reserving further comment on old (can we say a 27 year old is old?….) Pricer.

The preseason schedule. Well, I hate it. I hate having 8 games so compressed. By mostly, I hate paying full pop as a season ticket holder for preseason games. Further, I hate that the vast majority of the preseason games are home dates, meaning I’ve got to shell out more cash for dates so closely packed together. Folks may not realize this, but in other markets preseason games are either free, or very generously marked down. Heck, now that I’m rolling, Ottawa advertises season tickets at 50-70% below face value. Preseason tickets are marked down even further. Isn’t it great to think that my money helps to subsidize that market, and it’s crazy owner…..

Well, that’s about it for my pent up rage, aggression and attempts at humour. Back to the YES network and the Yankees game….

Cheers, CJ

• JohnBellyful says:

Do not, repeat, do NOT go back to the Yankee game.
      You’re not going to like it.
      I know I’m not.

• CJ says:

I’m resigned to the Yankees stinking. I like the direction Houston’s heading though. Great young team. Almost the exact opposite of New York, who just seem to get older. If not for buying our way around and out of problems, New York would be a perennial door mat. Brian Cashman has to be the worst GM in professional sports.

• JohnBellyful says:

They need to spend more, not money, but time and effort in developing young prospects to be the core of the team, supplemented by key acquisitions, as was the case during their glory years, when they had Posada, Rivera, Petitte, Jeter, and Williams, come up through the system.
          No more of this buying aging stars whose best years are well behind them. (The memories are overwhelmingly bad of Rodriguez in pinstripes.)
          And my Ticats. Oskee wee wee, oskee wahh wahh.
          Bunch of Angela Moscas on the D-line. Last in the league in sacks.
          Habs, don’t let me down this season.

• CJ says:

The Yankees are woeful. Yawn. Another loss. I agree, the team is terribly managed. I try and watch the Pirates and Nationals as often as I can now. In all honesty, this is worse than watching the Yankees in the late 80’s.

• JohnBellyful says:

Hey, I remember the days of Horace Clarke, Reuben Amaro and Gene Michael in the late ’60s, early ’70s. Those were lean years. But the seeds were there for the pennant-winning team that followed, with Chris Chambliss, Thurman Munson, Craig Nettles, and Roy White in the lineup.

• Paz says:

I think it’s fair to say that 9 million this season and next season is too high.

I also think its important to understand that PK has played like a 6 million dollar dman these past two seasons, while the Habs “bridged” him for about half that amount.

People here take for granted that the “bridge” is commonplace for star players in the NHL. However, several, including Doughty as the best example, never played under a “bridge” deal.

That was the key factor in these negotiations in my opinion.

• CJ says:

Good points Paz. At the end of the day, during the previous negotiation the organization held the upper hand and capitalized, signing PK to a two year deal below market value. Now, as the pendulum swung, PK and Newport Sports held the face cards and subsequently leveraged their advantage and cashed in. I knew that the deal would be equal to or exceed $9 million the very moment Meehan said PK had no interest in becoming the highest paid defenceman in the league. Up until that point I still had hope that $8 million would get it done. Agents are generally lawyers, and lawyers simply can’t be trusted.

“The San Jose Sharks will enter training camp without a captain or any assistants.
    Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said he didn’t consider the move to be stripping former captain Joe Thornton of the “C” because the veteran would have an opportunity to earn the designation back.”

Hey McLellan, that’s total bullshit on your part. Own up and be a man who really speaks the truth.

24 Cups

• CJ says:

It’s a mess. I have a lot of respect for Doug Wilson, through his connection with the Ottawa 67’s, but unless he’s allowing someone else to pull strings, than I’ve got to believe the whole management team needs to be held accountable. This move won’t be favourably received, in the locker room or around the league. Consider free agency, would anyone jump to San Jose, given an equal opportunity elsewhere? These are the implications such actions hold.

The definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result seems to apply here. A new brush sweeps well (likewise, I’ve often thought a new golf driver swings well, but I digress) so I’m inclined to think that offseason moves would have shaken things up, yet the team remains essentially unchanged. I appreciate that it’s hard to make inroads in a division that includes Anaheim and LA, but SJ has simply got to reevaluate. Stripping the captaincy from a veteran is not the solution IMO.

• frontenac1 says:

Hey CJ! Remember when Ballard ripped the C off Vaive? Just before he went to the Big House down here in Kingston!
        Saludos!

• CJ says:

Sittler and MacDonald….. Yes, the Leafs sure have a history Front.

• CJ says:

A little birdie told me I missed a fight conversation sometime in the last week. The one time the lads want to talk fighting, and I miss the conversation! Anyone talk up Tony Twist? Probert was a likely topic, but he was terribly overrated. Rob Ray told me Twist was the hardest punch he’d ever taken.

• frontenac1 says:

Tony Twist. They say he could knock out a horse with his devastating right. Similar to Joey Kocur, but Twist punched “with bad intentions”. A Beast who humbled many men.I would put both in the Top 10 Enforcers of all time.

• CH Marshall says:

Sounds like the internal doubting of their veteran core has begun

37. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Pick one
    Cole
    Ryder
    Breire
    PAP

————————————————————————————————————

38. Morenz7 says:

I imagine a player with hands, heart, vision, strength, speed and a hard shot and I come up with … Pernell Karl Subban.

• PK says:

I would give Subban heart ++, strength and a hard shot.
      Soft hands – Chucky has a flare (as did Vanek).

Speed? Not sure about the actual km/hour but Patches can get
      down the ice pretty quickly.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• sheds88 says:

bournival could be the fastest on the team

• CJ says:

Bournival looks like he’s fastest with the high knee kick, but from point A to B, there are a few quicker guys on the team. Weise, Eller and Max get around very well. Again, not saying Bournival is not among the quickest, but there’s a little smoke and mirrors with his stride.

Just something I’ve picked up watching him live.

39. punkster says:

For HIO:

Hands: HiS (for his handling of the Rogers petition)
    Vision: JB (a visionary but they actually may be portentous visions)
    Power: Timo (for his ability to polarize the room with a single comment)
    Heart: Nuna (because he just keeps on coming back for more)
    Shot: Front (doubles if it’s a single malt)
    Speed: Boone (for his ability to produce one liners and quips at internet speed)

Release the Subbang!!!

40. Chris says:

So while making my lists below, I came across the Red Sullivan-Doug Harvey incident:

In the Big Apple, Sullivan picked up right where he left off in Chicago. He made a habit of stirring up trouble, especially against the Canadiens. He often took runs at goaltender Jacques Plante. Habs’ defenseman Doug Harvey warned the abrasive Ranger centreman to lay off. When Sullivan failed to comply, Harvey speared him in the stomach with his stick and ruptured his spleen. A Catholic priest was called in to deliver Sullivan’s last rights, but Sullivan survived and eventually resumed his duties as a Ranger.(HT: Legends of Hockey)

Imagine such an event in today’s NHL. And how would Doug Harvey’s legacy have been changed had Sullivan actually died? It really is amazing some of the unbelievable violence that went on in the Original 6 NHL. So many incidents that would have earned players lifetime bans in today’s more civilized era.

• scamorza says:

yup just ask how Ted ( steel plate ) Green feels about was it Wayne or Chico Maki

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• piper says:

But did Sullivan run Plante again?

• frontenac1 says:

Grew up and fell in love with the Game and the Habs back then amigo. Hockey is a beautifully fast, skilled and violent game.Always has been. Always will be. Otherwise it just wouldn’t be Hockey.

• Chris says:

It won’t always be, or the sport will cease to exist. That kind of violence in today’s setting simply won’t be tolerated.

Parents are pulling their kids out of hockey in droves due to the violence and cost. It’s not at a crisis point yet, but it is certainly trending that way as we learn more about concussions.

None of my friends with kids will even consider putting them into hockey as they get older because of the concussion risk.

• frontenac1 says:

Minor Hockey is still huge up here. Even bigger than when I was coaching 6 years ago,but the costs are a lot lower than in the GTA. Just crazy up there, like Golf fees and Real estate. That bubble will burst at some point, I guess.

41. Steven says:

News out of SJ that Thornton is no longer the captain there. Strange. Maybe they hope this will make him more eager to lift his NTC.

• Chris says:

They had indicated that they would be going a different direction (Pavelski or Couture, if I had to guess) back in May. This is just the official announcement.

• scamorza says:

and Marleau having his A stripped why keep the guy? He gets my vote for most consistent point getter who consistently gets crapped upon

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

Both Marleau and Thornton have put up with an amazing amount of BS in their careers.

• scamorza says:

Tis true. With SJ they are exhibit A and B for failure in the playoffs. last I looked this was a team game. Sure they could be critiqued as could be any other player but… I think two things sunk them last year – one less than stellar goaltending and Vlasic getting hurt but sure blame it on dem

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

42. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

For the Habs:

Hands: Chucky
    Vision: DD (Markov close second)
    Power: Emelin
    Heart: Gallagher
    Shot: PK’s one-timer
    Speed: Weise

Hmm…

Hands: Desharnais
      Vision: Markov
      Power: Subban
      Heart: Pacioretty (now that Gorges is gone)
      Wrist Shot: Pacioretty
      Slap Shot: Subban
      Skating: Eller when he’s on his game, otherwise Subban or Pacioretty

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Hands: Subban
      Vision: Markov
      Power: Subban
      Heart: Gallagher
      Shot: Subban
      Speed: Wiese

Subban has easily the best hands!!! Easily!

• Chris says:

Desharnais is all kinds of shifty in the shootouts, and he can stickhandle in a phonebooth (partially because of the short stick).

IMO, Subban is a strong but not particularly elite stick-handler. He is a strong skater, but he relies on swooping arcs and using his body to shield the puck more than just dangling through opposing players. He’s had 2 shootout attempts in his career and failed to score on both.

I just can’t give him the edge over Desharnais, whose career 52.0% success rate ranks him 4th in the NHL among shooters with more than 10 attempts, just ahead of Canadian shootout hero Jonathan Toews (50.0%) and within spitting distance of leader and shootout maestro TJ Oshie (56.2%).

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Never seen DD dangle a guy other than himself! (Did that sound wrong???, you know what I mean) i almost gave him vision because all he does is pass, but Markov is better.

Other than a shootout…which is bush league any way!

• scamorza says:

just logging in now so noticed categories seem to shift which is Ok by me as a non conformist

Hands: DD
        Vison: Markov
        Power: Subban
        Heart Gallagher/Weaver same size same guts
        Slap shot: Subban
        Wrist Shot: Bourque If you weren’t just looking on net :-)
        Speed/Skating Beaulieu ( at least by the end of the year)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• piper says:

Hands. Chucky
      Vision. Markov
      Power. Subban
      Heart. Gally
      Shot. Subban
      Speed. Eller

• twilighthours says:

Speed has got to be Patches, guys. The guy has maybe the best first step in the show.

• Chris says:

I cheated…I changed mine to skating, instead of speed. When I think of speed, I think of guys like Tom Pyatt, a true burner but somebody who is just so easy to push around. I want that speed combined with agility, balance and strength. That is where Crosby is basically a god on skates…that guy is unreal in traffic.

When Eller is on his game, he has speed, power and good balance. When he’s not, he is easily pushed over.

Like you said, Pacioretty has top-notch acceleration and great top-end speed. Like Eller, I just wish he was a little more solid on his skates and that he had more confidence to carry the puck. He does cut in well on occasion, but he needs to do it more often.

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Moen – Gomez – Kovalev.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

I’m kicking Myself not spitting out Gomez to Ronn’s question of Moen’s choice for vision.

Somehow it was the first absurd name that came to My mind.

Now I’m going to spend the rest of My day sulking :(

And, thirsty.

45. DipsyDoodler says:

Hey I didn’t look at the answers I swear.

Is it Scott Gomez?

Do I win?

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Bettman retiring ???

Edit: good news about Kelley. It didn’t look good for a long while, but prayers and hope can do miraculous things.

• scamorza says:

hey cool thanks for sharing saw andre reed’s induction into HOF ( ceremony) and with him in attendance hard to keep a dry eye. after all he has gone through with his health the death of his son this is really good news. Thanks made my day!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

46. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Travis Moen picked Gomez because he’s the only center who was ever stupid enough to pass it to him. Anyway, I am surprised people are not mentioning Stamkos’s shooting ability. Ovechkin is great but I think Stamkos is better right now. Whether it is a one-timer, wrist shot or a slapper a la Lafleur, he is dangerous. Too bad he did not play in the Olympics with Crosby.

• Chris says:

I had Stamkos as my second guy. His accuracy and release are ridiculous, best since Mario Lemieux. But I’m still giving Ovechkin the title: his one-timer from the left face-off circle is one of the most lethal shots in all of hockey. He just blows it through goalies. His wrist shot through the legs of the defender is also very dangerous, although Jaro Spacek seems to have taught the rest of the league how to defend that one a bit better.

47. Maritime Ronn says:

As the Habs Training Camp approaches, there may/will be many questions about what is going on, and questions as to WHY things happen, or look weird or out of place.

Here is understanding many do not like discussing the” Business of Hockey.” or the 2013 CBA, yet it has specific Rules and Guidelines about how things happen – including Training Camp.
    ——————————
    This is all covered by Section 15:4 of the CBA:
    A few highlights.

1) The CBA specifically limits how long training camps may be – 20 days for veterans, 27 for rookies.

2) Clubs can have no fewer than 6, and no more than 8 Exhibition Games in a season, and players can’t be forced into playing one in the first three days of camp, or into playing exhibition games on three consecutive days.
    The Habs have 7 games, yet the MLSE Maple Leafs have ..8!

3 ) Don’t expect more than 8 veterans in ANY exhibition game:
    “A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game.
    For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season, (3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year’s Entry Draft, or (4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

Some other Contract Employee Benefits:

The first day of Training Camp will be dedicated (and exclusively limited) to office activities, such as medicals/physicals, fitness testing, photographs and other public relationsrelated matters. During the first four (4) days of on-ice activity at Training Camp (days 2 through 5), ice-time activities will be limited to 1.75 hours and off-ice activities will be limited to 1.25 hours per day, except on Exhibition Game days where these limits shall not apply to Players playing in the Exhibition Game.

***(d) Players shall be provided with two (2) mandatory days off during Training Camp, with each Player being provided one (1) day off during the first half of Training Camp and the other day off during the second half of Training Camp. Each Player may be given a different day off.

48. Harditya says:

So Joe Thornton has been stripped of the captaincy.. they have done this twice now, earlier with Marleau as well.. Awkward.

49. Chris says:

I’m no Travis Moen, but I’ll give a stab at my protypical player from other players’ skillset. I am going to limit my pool of players to those who are currently in the NHL, and I’m going to do a forward and defenceman edition. I’m also going to add a few categories.

Current Forward
    Skating – Crosby
    Power – Lucic
    Vision – Crosby
    Hands – Datsyuk
    Slap Shot – Ovechkin
    Wrist/Snap Shot – Kessel
    Heart – Koivu (Bergeron is a close 2nd)
    Defensive Awareness – Bergeron
    Flair – Kane
    Leadership – Bergeron

Historical Forward
    Skating – Pavel Bure
    Power – Cam Neely
    Vision – Wayne Gretzky
    Hands – Pavel Datsyuk
    Slap Shot – Bobby Hull
    Wrist/Snap Shot – Joe Sakic
    Heart – Rocket Richard…nobody close
    Defensive Awareness – Bob Gainey
    Flair – Mario Lemieux (just imagine if he had played his career in Montreal)
    Leadership – Jean Beliveau

Historical Defenceman
    Skating – #4, Bobby Orr
    Power – Larry Robinson
    Vision – Nicklas Lidstrom
    Hands – Bobby Orr
    Slap Shot – Al MacInnis
    Wrist/Snap Shot – Ray Bourque/Nicklas Lidstrom (Tie)
    Heart – Doug Harvey
    Offensive Awareness – Bobby Orr
    Flair – Bobby Orr
    Leadership – Ray Bourque

Upon perusal, there are a lot of Bruins on these lists. I may have to turn in my Montreal Canadiens fan card.

• JohnBellyful says:

What, no Shot Blocking, no Intangibles, no Backhander, no Body Checking?
      Now I’ll have to come up with some names!
      [Grumble, grumble]

• Habfan10912 says:

Love your historical choices. My hope? Someday soon Nathan B will overtake McDonough as the best skating dman.

• frontenac1 says:

Pointu! He could skate and had a helll of a shot Tabernac! And no gros Bill or Fergy or Pocket for Heart? Wtf!

• Chris says:

You are complaining that I took Rocket Richard in the heart category? No slight to the other guys, but c’mon…NOBODY in the history of the game could hold a candle to Rocket Richard when it came to heart.

As for defencemen skaters, there are tons that you can choose: Guy Lapointe, Drew Doughty, Phil Housley, Paul Coffey, Doug Harvey, Eddie Shore…but Orr has to be the king. He was so far ahead of his peers that it was actually ridiculous.

• JohnBellyful says:

Sorry, Chris, I’m a big Canadien fan but I have to challenge your statement ‘NOBODY in the history of the game could hold a candle to Rocket Richard when it came to heart.
            I would argue Ted Linsday could: a fearless competitor with a desire to win as strong as the Rocket’s and no slouch offensively.
            But where he especially showed heart (courage, spirit, call it what you like) was taking on the NHL to form a players’ union. That took guts and tenacity — the same as he showed on the ice — and he paid for it.
            But what he accomplished in concert with other single-minded players, including Harvey, was a pivotal point in the league’s evolution, for which thousands of players since then owe him a big debt of gratitude.
            The authoritarian forces Rocket stood up to were the same ones that Lindsay fought.
            I can well envision him holding a pretty big candle standing beside the Rocket.
            Edit: Richard’s talent was superior, but a bigger heart, no way.

• Chris says:

You are right, John: I will put Lindsay in that category for his PA work and fiery demeanour on the ice. It is no accident that Lindsay and Richard were frequently at loggerheads.

But I still give Richard the on-ice edge for some of his more heroic efforts. Lindsay’s best years came on a line with Gordie Howe, who would have siphoned off a lot of attention. But Richard, because of his stardom and his temper, was the target for every opposing player in every game. And he still dominated.

Thanks for bringing up that point, as Lindsay is not often given his proper dues as a player and a builder.

• JohnBellyful says:

I also give Rocket the edge in this comparison of the two, because his talent elevated him to a higher level, but they were equals in their intensity.
            Just Googled and found this clip of two battle-scarred warriors giving each other their due.

I agree with your assessment of Orr. It was incredible what he could do in his prime.

• scamorza says:

Heart, or balls or steel or just plain stupidity/ simply nuts goes to any goalie post BOOM BOOM and pre mask ( and when you think of it the masks of the 70’s were worthless). Jacques Plante , Johnny Bower, Terry sawchuk, Glenn Hall etc etc. As an ex rent a goalie I cannot fathom how these guys played w/o a mask> I know those days were different – no 100 mph slap shots but Bobby Hull? Boom Boom sorry a puck in the face???Now that is mighty big, as my uncle would say, colones

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

scam: I left out goalies because I just don’t know the position well enough to come up with categories. But I agree with you whole-heartedly.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if Hull could get close to, if not surpass, 100 mph with his shots, even with the wooden stick. There is no way he hit it at the oft-cited 118 mph, as the same study had something like 10 guys over 100 mph in those days…that just isn’t feasible with the technology.

• scamorza says:

Hey Chris, not sure if this will show up on your reply ( no reply button from what I can see).Still remember a clip with Johnny Bower against the Habs – he was pinned down in a pile up, someone took a shot and the only way he could save it was with his face. And he did that- that is balls, stupidity or insanity but in my books tres RESPECT. Actually spent time with him at a charity golf tournament, neat guy – he busted my colones for being a Habs fan, in all good fan – good Sask roots

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed amigo! Rocket was the man. Nobody came close. Agree also with Harvey I’m just greedy with those other Habs. Honourable mention?

• scamorza says:

BTW regardless of accuracy of MPH (and you are right) I still wouldn’t get in front of a BH snapshot w/o a mask on , you can add bro Dennis to the mix as well

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Can’t argue with most of Your choices Chris …really like You have recognized Josh Gorge’s ‘heart’

And, the one change I would make is Patrice Bergeron over Koivu, but like Yourself ‘very close’ :)

• JohnBellyful says:

But neither one has Hart!
        But St. Louis, Thorton, Crosby, Ovechkin, Sedin, Perry and Malkin do. :)

• Chris says:

I thought about it…I love Bergeron, despite his being a Bruin.

But Koivu came back early from a cancer that almost killed him, and he played well.

He came back from major injuries throughout his career.

And he played a feisty game despite giving up 30-50 pounds to his opponents.

For me, Koivu personifies heart.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

The ‘edge’ for Me of Bergeron over Saku is Patrice’s Stanley Cup. I thought Bergeron was the difference for the Bruins.

• Chris says:

Bergeron was absolutely the difference for the Bruins…he is the best leader in hockey by a country mile. He personifies the Bruins’ system and their ethos. He is not easily rattled, and he is a dominant player in all aspects of the game.

I just wish Koivu had played with a comparable supporting cast even once in his career to see what he could have done. His playoff career was exemplary, but he just never had the horses until it was too late. Montreal wasted Saku Koivu’s career, much like the Leafs wasted Mats Sundin and the Kings wasted Marcel Dionne. Great players, but they were just never given the proper supporting cast.

• Chris says:

Without his heart, Gorges is probably an ECHL player. He’s not fast. He has no offensive skill. He’s not big, and he doesn’t hit.

But he’ll step in front of a train if it helps his team win.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Josh was not outstanding in anything but heart, but when I watch Him play He is much better overall in the little detail than most here give Him credit for.

Definitely He would be but a 5-6 D-man with mucho character on a Stanley Cup worthy team, …yet far above an ECHL level.

We’ll agree to disagree with Josh :)

• Chris says:

Honestly, I just don’t see it from a skills point of view. Nothing comes naturally to Gorges…give him the attitude of a lesser player, and I just don’t see him ever making the NHL.

The minor leagues are riddled with guys who have all-world talent and no heart. Gorges is one of those rare guys that has a ton of heart and very limited talent.

• twilighthours says:

Dude. Hands. Mario Lemieux. Dude. Mario! How can it not be?

• Chris says:

I was ***really*** tempted to go with Mario there. I had him in as a tie.

But Datsyuk is a freaking magician…the best I’ve ever seen. As much as I wanted to give the tie, I just think Datsyuk was that much better, especially when you factor in the superior quality of defence in today’s NHL.

Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Denis Savard…the 1980’s were a treat for talented players, and they took advantage of it. Truth be told, I put flair in just to add Lemieux, who is my choice for the best offensive player in NHL history. When you get a 6’4″ giant of a man that can skate and dangle like a waterbug center, you’ve got something special.

50. DipsyDoodler says:

Travis Moen can safely cross GM and NHL Pro-scout off his list of future careers.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

A funny blog I, accidentally-like, tripped-upon eviscerating Steve Simmons eviscerating “the evils of big Corsi”.

‘Steve Simmons And The Art Of Lack Of Self-Awareness; by Dr. Hot Takes, of The HotTakery blog: http://hottakery.com/steve-simmons-art-lack-self-awareness/

52. Maritime Ronn says:

A Habs HIO Challenge:

If anyone gets the answer to the below question (before looking…), a nice bottle of superb Single Malt Scotch, at least 15 years old called ” Dalwhinnie” will be sent to you….

You can verify the answer from the Official Habs website.

Travis Moen was asked who is his NHL ” Ultimate Player” if he could combine all the best attributes of every player he played with or against, and put them together to form 1 player.

Moen started his career in Chicago in 2003-04, and played with Anaheim, San Jose, and then the Habs since 2009.

He has MANY choices.
    Here are his answers:

Hands; Patrick Kane
    Speed: Sid Crosby
    Strength; Ryan Getzlaf
    Shot: Subban and Pacioretty
    Heart; JS Giguere (won a Cup in Anaheim with him)

Vision:____???

As mentioned, if anyone can guess the ” Vision”…before you look at the answer, a BIG bottle is coming to you.
    Good luck…and I believe my bet is very safe…

53. DipsyDoodler says:

He’s a good one.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

54. PK says:

Price always comes across as a mature voice of reason.
    I hope that the knee is in good shape.
    Only a few more weeks until real Habs news.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là