Snow!

There was a little dusting of the white stuff last night in Montreal.

With lots more to come.

On the Lord’s day, let’s thank the heavens for hockey – an alternative to hibernation.

Today’s argument-starter: How about a Triple-G Geezer Line: Gomez, Gionta and … Bill Guerin?

Firepower fizzles – Pat Hickey

Quotes from the room

Arpon Basu’s game story from NHL.com

Pierre Ladouceur’s analysis

Marc de Foy’s game story

• Damien Cox on the punchless Leafs

Video scout Jarred Friedman thinks Canadiens fans need a laugh today.

swJSZVXkzWo

1. VancouverHab says:

Let’s agree to disagree over this, SD buddy.

2. VancouverHab says:

‘Preciate that, gentlemen. Positivity in positive times makes sense :–)

3. HFX-HabFan says:

It’s Mikko, not Mikka.  And the opportunity was “missed” because the Wild took him one pick before we picked in ’01.

4. LA Loyalist says:

Not only would the team be better with Koivu and Streit, we’d have some cap room (though I don’t remember what Streit cost). And I guess we can’t count that Streit is severely injured.

We have not replaced Streit (who replaced Souray successfully), and of course we miss Koivu. As Serious has pointed out, the opportunity was missed to have both Saku and Mikka.

there’s some guy out there wearing #11, but Saku he’s not.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Ed! You’re still here after all, how are you liking Leblanc’s numbers in the Q?

6. Duracell3 says:

In fairness you can’t really compare Streit to Spacek, they fill totally different roles and their pay to a  large degree also represents that.

Aside from that, Boullion, Koivu, and Kovalev a couple games a month.

7. ed lopaz says:

although the smart dog knows his poop, we should let Gomez and Gionta work out their issues.

the team is doing well; that’s the big picture.

you need to “tweak” a few things here and there, but now is not the time to do anything too drastic –

we need to keep “working” things out – you’re right.

but when a team is winning, you don’t mess with that winning formula too much.

its a “cardinal” rule of sports management.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

8. Mikey_39 says:

I agree with you on the first point.  Any experimenting on the power-play that JM wants to do, should have been done before Markov came back.  What a dumbass move that was not having Markov out there.  We’ve all seen what he’s capable of especially when given some space.  Markov should have been at the left point, with cammallieri at the right face off circle, to be set up with a cross ice one timer.  Plecky at center, and Gionta was exactly where he needed to be.

Which brings us to the next point.  I don’t see why we’re so hard on Gionta.  He is working his butt off. And the chances are all there he just can’t seem to buy a goal.  It’s almost unreal.  Anyone who watches enough hockey knows that this stuff happens.  You just get into these periods where it seems like nothing can go in.  But if he keeps playing the way he’s playing things will start clicking for the poor guy.  Gomez needs to be scratched for a game or too, because contrary to Gionta, it doesn’t look like he’s trying hard enough to break out of that slump.  He seems to have gotten a little too comfortable.  I think sitting Spacek would be a good idea too.

9. Danno says:

Or steal one.

Even a garbage goal would do. A nice greasy one.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. joeybarrie says:

I don’t think we are watching the same games. Gomez is getting the puck to WHERE THE OTHER PLAYERS ARE. The timing is off there is no doubt about that. And I don’t want to make it seem as if Gomez is playing brilliantly out there. However, He is playing the same game as he did last year. His passes are in different areas and in spots where the players can put the puck on the net. Problem is we are MISSING the net. Gomez set up Cammi twice last night and twice Cammi missed the net. Twice Gomez got the puck to Gio and twice Gio couldnt put it in. How can you say Gomez is not trying new things when he normally passes no matter what and last night he led the team in shots?

Makes no sense.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. joeybarrie says:

Make sure you put the whole statement i said from the post. What message do you send when you bench your Captain, and your team is in first place in the league……….

Very important.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. punkster says:

So let me get this straight and play “silly bugger” at the same time, OK SD ;)… you want to bench a couple of the hardest working guys in the league because they’re working hard but not scoring yet? You think that penalizing, shaming, embarrassing a couple of the top dogs in the game today, one of them the “C” of this proud team, that this will teach them a lesson, wake them up, make them…what’s the phrase I’m looking for…hmmm, let me see…WORK HARDER?

This has to be one of the very worst suggestions I have seen on this site for dealing with the issue. They’re a duo, one of the more successful in the league and one of the most experienced tandems around, a pair of players with all the tools required to make an impact every single shift. You give talent time, space and trust and that talent will come through for you. They’ll work it out. You don’t try to control, manipulate, denigrate or punish talented people for doing what they do best (ie…working hard and oh-oh there’s that phrase again).

13. HabsTrueBlue says:

I agree.

Despite their lack of offensive results Gomez is +1 and Gionta is even (0). Martin is doing the right thing giving them time to work themselves out of their slumps.

14. aemarchand11 says:

The team could not score last night, Gomez does need to switch things up. But we’re 7-3-1, 2nd in the conference at the end of October. This team has bounced back after each loss with a few wins, so I am expecting the same after this with a few days rest.

My comment didn’t even have anything to do with you, its a general opinion and many agree with me. Nothing more, and nothing less.

15. punkster says:

I take your suggestion of benching the Gs, or at least one of them, as being very reactionary. I’m sure others do as well. Bordering on freak out.

A sensitive dog is not a contented dog. Have a cookie and chill.

This is a really good post. I concur.

17. otter649 says:

Buffalo has benched/not dressed their captain Craig Rivet the last two games as he has struggled to game form since coming back from a pre-season injury ?

18. VancouverHab says:

Obviously I disagree–180 degrees. Martin would be an “ASS” to bench Gionta & Gomez. Obviously he is as far from an ‘ASS” when it comes to coaching in the National Hockey League as it is possible to be. Hence, he, quite correctly (in fact, all-but unarguably) is not benching that pair.

But one doesn’t need to be a coach of Martin’s elite and well-authenticated stature to know that it would take an “ASS” to bench two consistemly hard-working, grinding, high-leadership providing, unassailably established and invaluable (near the top of the League as) shutdown players in crunch situations.

It is with amateur fans – those of us who absolutely lack credential, credibility or experience — where one will find the use of mere individual totals (and that at the nascent stage of the 82-game season, not the Stanley Cup playoffs) as a item determinate of playing time.

Players doing what Gomez & Gionta are doing on the ice & in the locker room (i.e. contributing to our current FIRST PLACE position) need to be praised & rewarded, not punished.

Fortunately, Martin is at a level where this is obvious to him.

Just my two cents….

Sounds like you’re freaking out to me. Not about Gomez, which is a given for SD, but about his post. ;-)

20. HFX-HabFan says:

I don’t think his post mentioned you at all- relax, the sky isn’t falling.

21. HFX-HabFan says:

I wholeheartedly agree.  To win seven out of ten without our most important player, and then suffer a brief hiccup upon his return, is fine in my books.  I’d rather iron out the kinks now and have Markov in the lineup when we face the bigger boys in the schedule.

22. SmartDog says:

It really bugs me when people post things like this. YOUR post is the reactive one.

No-one (myself included) is freaking out.  If you rea my posts they’re not at all like that. I was suggesting the 2nd line needs a wake-up call before we lost our last game.  It’s obvious to me.  And doesn’t take away from the fact that 3/4 of our team is playing well and that the team as a whole is (obviously) succeeding.

Successful teams keep working on things even when they are winning.

23. Danno says:

I think that’s right FB. And that shot only missed by a hair if I recall correctly.

Combine that with Gionta’s two close-but-no-cigar chances and we could have won this one, if only.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

24. SmartDog says:

You’re sending a message that no-one is untouchable.  Though I wasn’t saying he should be benched necessarily.  But he and Gomez need to be seperated at the very least, to shake things up.  Whether Gionta goes to the third line or the first to me matters less than that SOMETHING is done to change the (failing) chemistry of these guys.

You guys are ALL seeing this as some kind of “crazy” punishment I am proposing. What I am saying is that players NEED the coach to DO SOMETHING when they are in a funk, and Martin is not helping them.

25. aemarchand11 says:

Just one game, the sky has not fallen.

2010-2011

26. SmartDog says:

Worth every koruna – and then some!

27. otter649 says:

Isn’t MAB still rehabbing from knee surgery & not ready to play NHL hockey ?

28. SmartDog says:

Sending Hamrlik “to the minors” is one thing (and you have a point), but shaking up the 2nd line by either moving someone onto the 3rd line or even benching a guy who’s not performing for a game is totally different and needs to be done.  Benching a guy for one game is no big deal in the scheme of things.  In fact, leaving him out there to try over and over again to try and try something that isn’t working is like not pulling your goalie after the 5th goal on 15 shots.

Related, the idea that Gomez and Gionta BELONG together is to me, part of the problem.

29. FB says:

I thought he missed the net twice as well but the goalie got lucky on one of them and got the shaft of his stick on the puck and sent the puck over the net.  It would have been top corner if he had not.

30. mrhabby says:

Martin is a veterans coach. There is very little chance he would bench Gomez or Gionta and for that matter Spacek or Hammer. I think i read some where that Hammer should be sent to the minors so the habs could clear his salary. Thats laughable. That would really send a great message to the team not to mention other players around the league. Hockey players have long memories. Let the players who are in a slump work it out.

31. mrhabby says:

32. FB says:

Gionta can’t buy a goal!

33. SmartDog says:

It’s impossible not to be happy with our play overall this year and especially our record.  But I disgree with both of you about being complacent about our 2nd line’s failrure to perform.  Remember our centennial year when we started out something like 7-and-1?   The team has to keep working on its weakenesses because the strengths won’t always carry the day.  And our biggest weakness is our 2nd line.  I’m not saying trade somebody or even necessarily bench somebody.  But Martin needs to do SOMETHING to shake them up.  For their own good and the teams.  Change wakes up players.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Joey, I think we are on the same boat.

Still a great game to watch last night Dog. If we win 4 and lose 1 coming up again, I’ll be very pleased. We are getting better every game. I don’t want to peak to early. I know we are only in first place right now. We won’t have anything to cry about on here if they did not drop a game or two.

36. joeybarrie says:

I disagree with number 1. JM did the right thing. The guys have limited chemistry on the PP agreed, however in his first game back I would not have put him there either. Not a big deal at all. i don’t know why we are making a big thing of it. It’s not the reason we lost. Gionta not scoreing on those two gifts is the reason. Not blaming him, I love him and his game, but he is incredible unlucky lately.

2. How can you bench veterans when your team is number 1 in the league? They are not scoring because they are floating around not caring, they are just unlucky… Sitting a guy who is working hard is stupid and sends a BAD message to the rest of the guys when they will eventually go thru their slump. JM is a smart coach, smarter than simply benching a guy when he doesn’t score. As for the 3 who were benched scoring their goals. Goal number 2 was a penalty shot. Bad turnover and a 50% chance to score. The third goal was the results of a lucky bounce that Price had to stretch to save the first and he found himself in the right spot to score. What kind of message are you sending the WHOLE TEAM when you bench your Captain?

3. I don’t agree with Eller being better having spent this season in the minors. Playing against the best is how you become the best. No reason to keep him there when he is pbviously ready to play in the NHL. His production will come, just like Gio’s, Gomez and the rest.

Pouliot is doing well on the depth lines, and thats not a bad thing. I think he will get back up to the top two, but while he is making it happend with the guys on 3, keep him there. He is learning valuable lessons and showing his depth which is GREAT for his confidence.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. ZepFan2 says:

We’ll soon find out…

————————————————————————

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

38. Danno says:

Rewarding to the last rupee

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. otter649 says:

I believe you’re trying to communicate with Mr Tony & one of his many usernames……….

40. SmartDog says:

Anyone thinking Gomez is the problem on that line is clueless

Gionta is snake bitten no question.  But Gomez does the EXACT SAME PLAY EVERY TIME.  He skates behind the net and dumps it out.  You think that other teams havent’ figured that out?   Duh-uh.  The center needs to be creative, and needs to change things up.   Last year even Gomez was doing more… this year, it’s the same, same, same.  Terrible, just terrible.  Oh – and with 3 minutes to go I love his breaking into offensive zone.  Gomez crosses the blue line… blind pass back to… oops!  To a Panther forward, puck goes the other way… game over.   Gomez is lousy this year.  Much worse than last year.  He just is. The numbers aren’t lying.

41. SmartDog says:

3 thoughts on last nights game… not the end of the world but as Jack Martin himself said “we got 6 points last week and could’ve had 8″.  Credit where it’s due, JM has done a lot of good with this team, but last night I think it was his errors that cost us the game.

WTF JACQUES?
    Markov played 23 minutes but was NOT USED ON THE 5-on-3!!!!! Why?  Becuase our power play has been so good without him?  Ridiculously dumb. If Markov was to play at ALL it should have been on the power play first.

BLIND FAVORITISM HURTS THE TEAM. The Panthers coach benched three guys recently for not performing and then what happened? ALL THREE
    scored last night.  Yet Gomez and Gionta are untouchable.  This is NOT… I repeat NOT just on Gomez and Gionta.
    Martin’s an ASS if he doesn’t shake these guys up.  I don’t care that
    “they’re working hard”.  That’s what their MOTHER would say.  The coach
    needs to say one goal each in 11 games from these guys is SHEEE-ITE.  And
    they need to either sit on their butts and stare at the ice and think about what
    they hell they need to do differently, or play on differnet lines or SOMETHING to get them out of their funk.  The favoritism he’s showing these veterans is hurting the team. Pouliot on the other hand I thought looked very good (and has as many points as G+G together). But still toils on the depth lines.

3. ERRATA. Those two major points aside, generally it seems (despite our shot total) that it was a bit of an off night. For the first night this year I thought Pleks had an off game – he made some awful passes which is rare.  Had to happen, especially since he’s carrying the biggest part of the scoring load.  Eller continues to confuse me.  He’s so good yet so not quite there. I think he just needs time but I’m frustrated for him.  Looking forward to seeing him break out which I think he will… but wonder if another year in the minors would have been better for his development.

SD

42. ZepFan2 says:

Okay, you got me!

I just have the mun…a craving for donuts for some strange reason. ;)

————————————————————————

43. andrewberkshire says:

Phili could use some D? They’re already spending almost 25 million on defense.

44. le_vrai_jacques says:

worth every farthing

Chuck, I could send my corporate jet to pick up you and your bride when the game was over and you get out of the Buffalo rink. I would have you back in Mtl. before we started watching the 3rd period at hurleys.

Looking to have one with you again Chuck.!

46. Chuck says:

You should never count on your goalie to stop penalty shots. Hell, there were FOUR last night, and a ended up being goals. There’s a reason why the NHL uses them to decide games.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

47. Chuck says:

Hey Ian, Sara and I will be at the game in Buffalo on Friday night, so we’ll be getting into Montreal early Saturday afternoon. We’re really looking forward to it. See you then!

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

48. joeybarrie says:

WOW. So we lose to the Panthers. PREDICTABLY……. So frustrating to lose to that team so many times. Our season is going great and we are still geting on the same old guys, and complaining that our team is not good enough. FUNNY……….And typical.

Last night, we played OK. We played like a team that played the night before and got home late. BIG PROBLEM. GIONTA CANNOT SCORE. Gomez is getting him the puck. Last night Gomez took 6 shots. Anyone thinking Gomez is the problem on that line is clueless. They simply cannot score, two empty net attempts by Gio and our Captain has the worst luck in the world…

AGAIN the pucks didn’t bounce our way. I have to say though, the reason we lost 2 games so far this season is because of bad luck. So that is not a bad thing. We saw alot of opportunities in the PP, and that will come. Really really bad we couldn’t score on the 5-3. Probably most important thing missing is that.

Hamr and Spach did not help us last night, one of those two needs to sit I think. Secretly I hope we are working on a trade. It hurts me to say that, but its what im thinking.

Either way we got a good team, and we are doing well. Really wanted to beat them last night…

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

Gallagher’s a prospect and he weighs like 160 lbs. He’s easily 2-3 years away from the NHL.

Sure looking forward to seeing everyone Friday in Montreal. One more game in Columbus Tuesday and then it is time for us to hit town for the Summit. See you at the hotel or Hurleys Pub.

And for all those asking, I like single malt scotch, one in each hand.!

51. Bugs says:

Ri. Di. Cu. Lous.

Don’t mean to be mean, Belly, but look at this, look at where we are now. I mean…c’mon!

Belly.

C’mon.

Just let’em play, it’s gonna click.. They’re not outta place. They’ve had their chances; they’re just snake-bit. Once they start clicking again, the kid Poolio, who has double either of’em’s points, will be reunited with’em.

Cuz guess what? Poolio wasn’t taken away from them. THEY were taken away from him.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

52. Storm Man says:

Zep sure you did :).

1st GAA

Gorges gets out-muscled on the boards. Gill gets beat to the rebound. Credit Higgins for outplaying Gorges, Matthias for taking his pass and relaying to Frolik who beats the not so fleet footed Gill to his own rebound.

2nd GAA

Hamrlik loses the puck at centre. Spacek trips Booth for the penalty shot. Credit Reinprecht with the take away and pass, Booth with the break away and penalty shot.

3rd GAA

Nice hail mary outlet pass from the Panthers zone which AK46 had a chance to grab but he flubs it, Reinprecht grabs the puck, AK misses his back check, both he and Gorges follow Reinprecht which leaves Matthias open for the rebound which he buries.

The three goals against were a case of being out hustled, mental and physical lapses, fatigue. If Cammy buries one of his two open-in-the-slot chances that he completely misses the net on both times it’s a different game. Snake bitten Gionta has an open net and his shot hits a skate. It would’ve been nice to see Price stop the penalty shot, but that was a deft move and ultra quick release by Booth. It was close and by no means a blow-out. Did anyone watch Calgary implode against the Caps?

It is the National Parity (Parody?) League so in any given week 6 out of 8 points is still .750 hockey.

Hourable mention to the Darche goal. He (and Halpern) hustled to get that one. Go figure.

54. ZepFan2 says:

Dammit, I thought he meant powdered donuts.

Mmm, donuts

————————————————————————

55. JohnBellyful says:

Drastic measures are needed to prime the Punchless Pair. Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta, two-thirds of the What’s My Line, aren’t racking up the points. Various players have had auditions to fill the third spot on their line but none have proved to be the sparkplug that’s needed. So why not experiment with someone in the system who IS a sparkplug and piling up the goals: Brendan Gallagher. He’s potted 16 goals in 18 games and sports a +15.
    At 5’8″, he wouldn’t look out of place with the other two. Sure, the Tiny Trio might not win many puck battles along the boards but they should do wonders with their cycling game and they’d annoy the hell out of the defence by buzzing around the net like gnats. Who’s to say a blur in front the net wouldn’t serve just as good a screen for shots from the point as a stationary hulk set up in front of the goalie?
    The G-String could turn into this generation’s Pocket Rockets.

56. joeybarrie says:

Not a terrible team. But ours is much better. Just weren’t better last night.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. CalgaryHabsFan says:

I prefer the team we have now with two exceptions. Koivu instead of Gomez and Streit instead of Spacek.

58. bertuzzisucks says:

How about Zherdev on the 2nd line?? He was a healthy scratch for Philly.

He can score.

Philly could use some D too.

59. OneTimer says:

I agree with you, people are being too harsh on Gomez and Gionta. At least we’ve been winning the first 10 games without their production, I think it’d be a different story if we were 2-7-1 instead.

60. SlovakHab says:

Worth every cent!!

61. sholi2000.com says:

7-3-1 in Oct, NIOCE

62. SlovakHab says:

I think that the tradeoffs were Gorges/Rivet and Hamrlik/Souray, which are kind of all right, aren’t they!

Definitely would keep Streit over Spacek!!

Tanguay on the second line could work well in some regular season games, that guy is a very good passer! However, for the playoffs, I would prefer someone much much tougher (a type of player we haven’t had for a while – like Hartnell, Lucic)

63. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Joyeux Anniversaire à Tomas Plekanec.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

64. pierre lapuck says:

Yeah it’s real easy to be tough when Pronger’s got your back.  Briere moves down some in the line up of classy players, Carcillo remains at the bottom and one day Briere willhave his head down and get it handed to him.  I’ll laugh.

65. Chuck says:

It’s a step back because MAB would be doing the job that PK should be doing. And we’ve already got a guy (Picard) who’s +7 and looking for playing time.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

66. SlovakHab says:

I think you are forgetting that Moen replaced Kosto, and I think it is an improvement.

And I like Pyatt more than I liked Higgins. Gomez isn’t better than Koivu so far, but Pyatt is a nice bonus of that trade.

67. Mikey_39 says:

Gomez is way overpaid and purely based on what I see on the ice, doesn’t give a crap these days.  Gionta is worth what he’s getting paid and once he starts clicking, you’re going to see him light it up.  You’re probably the only Habs fan who thinks Cammalleri is overpaid.  Anyone will tell you that was by far the best FA acquisition made by the habs in a long time.  But I will admit he too is having a tough start to the season, as expectations are that he’s going to crack the 40 goal mark.  What I would do if I were the coach, is play Pouliot with Gomez and Gionta for more that three shifts.  Let them build some chemistry, give them 10 games and see what happens.

And don’T forget, Montreal has to pay more to acquire FA because we have higher taxes than anywhere else.

Keep the faith man, it’s just one loss.

68. OneTimer says:

Oh, I get it, that’s a cocaine joke! Awesome!!!

69. ManApart says:

Why is it a step back? It’s not like we get rid of PK. He’s still here. And we add a proven PP goal scorer. MAB will be fine if he plays 12 minutes a game like he’s supposed to. He was only -7 last year, playing heavy minutes in place of injuries.

70. HFX-HabFan says:

I’d prefer Rivet in over Hammer for what they each respectively bring to the table (cost is a factor as well)…Streit would obviously be nice too but he’s probably out for the year anyway.  Up front?  Maybe Tanguay to skate on the second line, though he’s not the bigger goal-scoring winger that we’d like to see alongside Gomez/Gionta.

71. Mikey_39 says:

Definitely miss Koivu, Kostopoulos, Higgins, Begin, SK(a little, I had a soft spot for the guy ever since we first brought him up and he showed that grit that he had).  For the D, Streit who we never should have let go, Bouillon, and I would miss Komisarek if he hadn’t effed us over.

And ya, I miss Halak and Huet (fav player), a lot.

But I think as a whole, I would take the team we got now compared to this.  But I would definitely replace some players.  For example, swap Koivu for Gomez (you can rip on me after), Begin or Kostopoulos for Darche, Streit for Spacek (probably the most important one), Bouillon for Obyrne, and Huet for Auld.

72. Chuck says:

That’s a step backward. PK will learn. And for all of his recklessness, he’s much more sound defensively than MAB.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

73. Chuck says:

Y’know giving PK a wood stick to play with would accomplish a couple of things: it would automatically take a few mp/h off of his shot and he would be forced to work on his accuracy, and his stick would break as often.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

74. HFX-HabFan says:

You do realize that Eller was one of the highest-scoring rookies in the AHL last year playing for a lousy Blues affiliate in Peoria, right?  Not to mention he was a first round pick in ’07 and, along with Boedker, is one of the finest young hockey talents that Denmark has produced?

The market for goaltenders is always lower than other positions.  To get a top prospect like Eller, and a longer-term project in Schultz is a pretty good return for a goalie with only around 100 NHL games’ experience.

75. Bugs says:

Ohhhh, the AHL. I didn’t know that. Well, that makes him GREAT in the NHL a well worth an Olympic titan and proven NHL num1 goalie, doesn’t it?

Heck, we were lucky only to have given Halak for’m, weren’t we?

Well, I’m relieved now. Cuz that was a fair deal. The AHL, hey, kid’s gonna be great over here. That’s how that works. Fair deal. Non-producin AHL long-term projects for a proven num1 goalie. Fair deal. Got it.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

76. Bugs says:

Loaded with offers??? Halak hadn’t even taken his second pad off afore bein traded. Weren’t no offers had TIME to get piled up for Gauthier to “consider” any.

He took the first one, mate!

To get. Halak. Out.

For reasons we all know.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

77. Bugs says:

“Other possibilities” than an Olympic titan and Playoff hero??? Like who?

I don’t Gauthier “went in” at all. I think ST-LOUIE “went in”, DESPERATE for a num1 goalie. And our management said “whaddaya got?”. And they said “Uhhh, these two bathplugs who can’t make our own team?” And we said “Eh, that’s sounds fine. We just wanna prop up our 5th overall pick after all so we’ll take anything.” That’s what I think happened.

“…the best he could do…” C’mon! A non-producing “prospect” for a real deal clutch num1 goalie is certainly not the best you can do.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

78. notbigbird says:

The goalie market has been observed and debated here. It wasn’t exactly hot. However, if you are correct, PG was loaded with offers and said, “No, I don’t want [enter star of your choice]. I’m gonna hold out for Eller.” I suppose it’s possible. Anything is possible down the rabbit hole. (Do I get a point for that? I mean to say that arguing with Bugs is not for the faint of heart.)

79. scrowe21 says:

uhh..ok?…didn’t miss a game last year, Im well aware of the points he put up, and I didn’t say he wasn’t capable of doing so. whats your point? When I said trade him, I didn’t mean trade him for nothing. I clearly said trade him and prospect/picks to get a younger, top 6 power forward..but you already know what I said, so I dont understand what you’re going on about.

80. punkster says:

I’m not surprised that we agree on the majority of things. We’re both intelligent, knowledgeable and damned good looking, if I do say so myself. The Markov thing is “meh” at this point. I’m sure we won’t see that situation again. The Gomez thing, well, we disagree. So what. Makes for good discussions. I’m just glad neither of us are insecure, childish jerks the likes of whom we see here way too often.

Good boy. Want a cookie?

81. PureGuava says:

24 –

You Can’t pay your second or third line center that kind of money – and unless your first line center is Joe Thornton, you can’t pay him that either.

I like Boyd, Darche, Pyatt, and Moen – but they’re essentially the same. If you look down in Hamilton we’ve got six more of them too! I would rather not cut anyone – as i’ve said I really like Gomer…but you can’t have that contract…you just can’t. Not when he’s playing as well as Lapierre at a couple million, and not as good as Halpern at .5 million…and even Eller is playing as well with limited icetime.

I don’t think that Guerin is great pick-up for us, but I think it may be time to move a few of our ‘character’ guys and get some picks back. With Guerin, we’d be instantly better – and it would not cost us anything except breaking the heart of a 4th liner, or somebody that’s playing like one.

- That said, I like this team – and am quite content doing nothing with it. This is a great group – and I have complete faith that G & G will start scoring soon. Their lack of scoring has not hurt us so far.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

82. Xtrahabsfan says:

So some one please explain the Canadian Constitution and your charter of rights and free speech and then tell me it’s ok to remove my post to another poster “who slams others for having different viewpoints” and asking them to relax a wee bit when dealing with other Habs fans? In other words …who do I sue? Is this China ?Russia?Afghanistan? Iran?Nigeria?Venezuela? And who do they have moderating this site ?Qaddafi,Bin Laddin or George W Bush?

83. WarHero says:

Hey Guys!

Please visit the following link to view my new article on the Ottawa 67s player points projections and Happy Halloween!!! May it be safe for everyone!

Thank you for reading!!

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

84. showey47 says:

You want to sue somebody because your post was deleted?

85. Da Hema says:

The Canadian Supreme Court has never recognised a constitutional right to free speech with respect to sports. Therefore, such a right for all intents and purposes does not exist. The Supreme Court, however, has recognised that political speech and scientific inquiry, for example, will receive more stringent constitutional protections.

So you are sh*t out of luck on constitutional grounds.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

Ask habs_guru for the number of his lawyer.

87. Xtrahabsfan says:

No to sue someone or something must be a pain…but I would like to see a fair playing field for everyone when the rules of engagement as far as H.I.O. RULES are stated ,are followed…. Now as far as I know A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED TO PROTECT OUR FREEDOMS IN Canada …sooo, to protect them…Heck,well I’m talking bout them…first step,eh!

88. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice! Is there anyone draft-eligible on that list that you can think the Habs should look to draft this summer?

89. Aaron13 says:

A very ugly game for the Habs last night. Instead of 3 stars, there should be the 3-lemon pick. Last night, there were plenty of lemons. Spacek, Hammrlik, Gil, Gionta, Gomez (as usual)…Any other suggestions?

We have serious blue-line problems. The elder defencemen have lost their skating speed. I can’t imagine how worn out the elders will be by the end of December. It will not be a Merry Xmas.

90. showey47 says:

I now truly regret replying to your post. Would someone please delete my initial response,and this one also.

91. SeriousFan09 says:

The Habs October in Review, Player notes, prospect info and general thoughts.

92. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Are our habs as good as their record?  Can they stay near the top

2. Despite logging 24 minutes, Markov wasn’t put out during the 5-on-3 last night. Smart coaching or insanity?

3. Pouliot has six points and has shown some good flair and a tougher attitude. Can he help the 2nd line… or do you leave him where he is?

4. We’ve seen all kinds of messages sent this year by coaches, even to marquee players. Kovalchuck and Rivet both benched…. Sutter calling out his leaders for not getting it done… DeBoers in Florida had at one point this year benched every one of the 3 guys who scored on us last night. Do you give Gionta and Gomez a wake up call of some kind or do nothing and let them “work it out”?

5. Spacek and Hamrlik.  Is either one playing as poor as many people on here say?

SD

93. SmartDog says:

Good column.  Pretty fair throughout I think.

I wonder about that thing people say about Gomez, that he can’t be a goal-scorer.  Didn’t he score 40+ goals one year?  I mean, how does a guy go from scoring 40-something goals to not being able to hit 20?  Unless there’s something WRONG with him, or unless he’s lost his fire, I just don’t get it.

94. SeriousFan09 says:

He scored 33 in one season but hasn’t gone above 19G in the pro ranks any other time. I think that was just his overachievement season with that many goals, at best in major junior for the WHL he scored 30 goals. He doesn’t have the goal scoring instinct that lets him work past NHL goalies I think, stuff that beats junior goalies doesn’t fly as well.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Competition wasn’t the toughest, November will the grind against PHI, BOS and LAK being the tests that will see what the team is really made of. I think the Habs are a 100-point team for this season IMO.

2. It was peculiar, but I didn’t see the game and couldn’t really guage the play, might have been what JM thought was right for the moment.

3. Bump him to the 2nd line, he deserves his chance with all the hits thrown and the scoring of late.

5. Spacek’s been the worse of the pair IMO, Hamrlik’s been better, not by a lot but better. JM should use Picard as a rotating man to sub them out as needed to either wake them up or rest them over tight schedules.

96. Xtrahabsfan says:

All free speech is thus then protected …just less stringent categories,like religion and sports….is that what your getting at?;)

97. showey47 says:

1) I think they are. They can stay near the top if some of the issues that need addressing are taken care of like secondary scoring and the PP.

2) I was wondering where markov was during that 5 on 3. If the PK/markov due is going to work on the PP i think they may have to switch sides with subby being a right handed shot. In previous years the one timer has always had a left handed shot.

3)I might be tempted to try benny with eller and gio.

4) gomez needs a weak up call,but gio not so much. Though gio isn’t scoring he is 7th overall in the league in shots on goal. The chances have been there and will start going in, hopefully sooner then later.

5)Hamrlik missed out on training camp,preseason games and a couple of regular season games so i will cut him some slack but spacek has no excuse. He has just looked awful.

98. 21BIGGionta says:

does anyone else remember radek bonk…he came to mind yesterday…i unno why? where is that guy now days?

99. Da Hema says:

Yes, but in a qualified manner. The Canadian constitution, and specifically the Charter, recognises broad rights-categories such as expression. The Canadian Supreme Court, in cases dealing with expression, has created “tiers” of actions and expressions that are to receive stringent, less stringent, and then little constitutional protections. I am not supporting or justifying the Canadian Supreme Court here–indeed, I find its general rulings dealing with expression to be incoherent from both legal and philosophical viewpoints–but you are right that “expression” in the general sense is a recognised constitutional right.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Stephen, whats the beef? I have probably missed out  on seeing the postings about what your talking about. So I don’t have a clue.?  But it seems like you know your geography alright. Care to enlighten me.

101. SeriousFan09 says:

Czech league according to IHDB.

102. The Cat says:

1-I dont think so, fairly mediocre opponents so far.

4- I think its like you say smartdog, “new way of coaching is winning” Its up to the coaches to find a way to get players on board.

5- I dont expect veterans to go all out all the time. I expect them to go all out when it matters.

103. Xtrahabsfan says:

1)I find this year in perticular the N.H.L. to be less talented due to the KHL…So  I feel the Habs are stronger that a majority of teams due to good player shortage…. I think they will do well…

2)Let him get his  leg’s and timing back,eh!

3)Pouliot is doing real good and if he was Playing with St Louis and Stamkos, he’sd be on fire!

4)Leave  the lil fella’s alone…we’re stuck with them ..

5)I would  rotate Hammer and Spatch with OB and Picard.

Just came in from sitting on a wooden chair on my front lawn with a great costume on. I had a ball, one of the mothers that thought I was a manikin, went ass backwards over my hedge when I made a slow move.

Anyway I missed out on the Minnesota NFL game, WHO WON PLEASE>

He has gone bonkers my friend.

Robert, are you ever on top of things.

See you at the Summit!

107. SmartDog says:

1. No. Habs have two weaknesses. Lack of “bottom 9″ scoring and struggling power play.  We’ll seriously stumble because of them.

2. Crazy. Surprsingly, 5-on-5 we’ve been good. But our power play NEEDS Markov.  How could you NOT play him?

3. Pouliot can help the 2nd line.

4. Glad to see that unlike the ‘debate’ below where I felt pretty much alone, people here are mostly agreeing that some action is required re. the scoring on our 2nd line rather than just waiting. It’s not because I don’t like Gomez. In fact, for this I think it’s the COACH who is in the wrong.  Players NEED to be called out sometimes.

5. No. Spacek has been clumsy but he IS clumsy.  He knows how to recover.  He’s +2 (ahead of Gorges -1).

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Parity my friend, parity. the best players are still in the NHL.

109. Mike D says:

Hello HIO!

Long-time reader, but as this is my first post, I thought I’d give a proper introduction….not that I expect anyone to remember.  Too bad it comes after a loss, but anyways, here goes:

1) I’m a TRUE Habs fan and always will be.  NOT a troll.  I say this as a precursor so if/when I post something negative about the team, it’s because I’m trying to be objective and honest.  Same goes for when I post something postive.

2) I believe in the “cheer for the logo on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back” philosophy.

3) I’m from Montreal (St. Leonard) originally, but currently live in London, ON.

4) I love Saku and miss having him as a Hab – he should have finished his career here.  He also deserved to win a cup here but didn’t have much to work with most years.  I really like our current roster though and am not sure where he’d fit.  I doubt it will happen, but I’d love to see him have his jersey retired by the Habs.

5) I also miss Jaro because he was great and was the biggest reason for the playoff run last year (not the only, but the biggest).  That said, I love Carey, support him 100%, will bash anyone who bashes/boos him, hope he continues to play solid, and have faith he will fulfill his potential and become the goalie he was billed to be.  Carey + Pleks > Halak.

6) I hate the laffs and bruins, and while I think it would be good if QC got their team back, I’ll hate them too.

7) I look forward to discussing and debating about our team with all of you.

Okay, all the unimportant stuff is officially out of the way.

- Honestly yours

110. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice introduction, welcome to the party.

111. Da Hema says:

Hello Mike!

The one sacred rule is never say anything positive about the Toronto Maple Leafs.

You have been forewarned.

;-)

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

112. MTLForever says:

not minnesota ;)

113. otter649 says:

During the lockout Gomez played minor pro in Alaska & got only 13 goals but alot of assists 73 in 61 games so he is definitely not a goal scorer but a playmaker but for the price of his salary ticket he should get at least 20 goals……….

114. Danno says:

Nice intro Mike. Has Boone filled you in on the initiation ceremonies? :0)

Have fun and welcome aboard!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

115. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ian,how’s it going buds…I made a request to a blogger here asking him to lighten up and stop calling other Hab fans  trolls or Leaf fans after all   we are all on the Canadiens band wagon here…This fellow in particular was all over the place last year and had people from this site slamming him ,so he should know how it feels…..Alot of this happens on this site which is a site for VIEW POINTS AND Expression and it seems to be OK to slam someone  for let’s say..stating Price had a bad game  but it’s not OK  to ask someone too mellow out  without getting deleted….very fishy stuff.. Alot of one sided action going on over here and there’s two sides to a coin my friend. This is Habs  Inside Out, not Habs Lemmings and cliff jumpers.

116. The Cat says:

The bruins look unbeatable again this year, Thomas absolutely amazing so far.

Hi Mike, welcome aboard. London A. Not that far to hop a train and join us for the weekend in Mtl. We all meet once a year to put faces to our posts.

A full weekend of events are listed on the side board called the Summit page. Or ask anyone on here or me.

click here for Summit info Mike…. Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

118. Bob_Sacamano says:

and Patrick Traverse also still plays in case anyone wants to know. In Germany btw. Mike Glumac, Cory Urquhart and some others found jobs there, too.

119. 21BIGGionta says:

haha thanks bud! Him and Chris higgins were the two i liked but got away

120. VancouverHab says:

“4. I’d say sit Gomez in the box and play Eller on the 2nd line, see what it sparks if no improvement over the next pair of games.”

Ri-i-i-g-h-t.  Because Eller has an exciting and storied history in the NHL — uhh, no , he’s an thrilling prospect whom everybody wants on their team. Unlike Gomez who has only earned (yes — lump it: earned, got someone to give based on his play) an 8-mil/year contract, and two Stanley Cup rings.

Not your best post, SF….

121. Chuck says:

Good to have another ex-Quebecker/Ontarian on board! There are quite o few of us here, but there’s always room for another.

Looks like you’ll fit in well!

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

122. Mike D says:

1.  Probably too early to say, but I think we’re better than the “experts” gave us credit for in the season predictions.

2.  Tough call.  I wouldn’t have done it.  Maybe JM wanted to experiment with a forward on the point and was confident we’d score regardless of whether Markov was out there or not.  Given that we have 2 puck-moving Dmen in Markov and Soobs and no big shot Dmen (a la MAB, Streit, Souray), I wouldn’t mind trying Markov on the 1st PP unit with a fwd. on the point, and Subban on the 2nd with a diff’t fwd. on the point.

3.  Since he’s being productive on that line, leave him there for now.  When GG get going and especially if the 3rd line stops producing, put him back on the 2nd line.

4.  I dont’t know, but they gotta do something.

5.  I don’t know WTF Hammer was thinking when he tried tried to carry the puck from behind our net across center ice, or why Spatch wasn’t behind him on the play.  For a vet Hammer should know that isn’t part of his skill-set (he ain’t Markov or Subban) and Spatch should have been behind him.  They both should realize they aren’t very fast skaters.  P*ss-poor decisions that led to the penalty shot goal at a time when we had momentum, and possibly cost us the game.

On that last note, anyone else think we should trade both Hammer and Spatch?  I haven’t written them off entirely, but with Picard, OB, and the guys in Hamilton, I’m not sure we really need them at their expensive salaries.  We could then bring in another legit top 6 forward while still reserving salary room for Markov, Gorges, and Gill.  Do you guys know any teams off-hand that could use veteran Dmen who can still contribute and have the cap space to sign them?

- Honestly yours

123. notbigbird says:

Welcome. I used to live in Sarnia but am now near Ottawa.

124. notbigbird says:

bonkers = good Ian

125. Rob says:

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but are you not the poster who yesterday suggested that another poster “give his p**s a wipe”? If so, maybe that clears up your confusion, no?

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

All set for the Summit next weekend notbigbird.?

127. Mike D says:

Sarnia huh?  Yikes!  ;-) just kidding.

- Honestly yours

128. Mike D says:

Thanks for the invite Ian. Unfortunately I’ve booked all my vacation for this year and won’t be able to make it. I’d love to come next year though!

I will be in town for Xmas (as I am every year) and I also scored a good seat for the Jan. 22 game against the Ducks to see Saku’s return. Can’t wait for the game, but not looking forward to the 8 hour drive in January weather.

– Honestly yours

Xtrahabsfan

I have always known that there was two sides of a piece of toast my friend. But I will be the one to choose which side I butter. And I expect you to have the same choice my friend.

Xtrahabsfan’

I posted my answer below!

131. Mike D says:

Uhhhh, nooooo.  Uh-oh, should I be scared?  Something tells me I should.  lol

BTW, love your pic and tag-line.  First time I saw it a while back I laughed my @$$ off!

- Honestly yours

She is just a bird that flits around from town to town Mike D.

Just kidding Sherrie!

133. Mike D says:

LOL, not to worry.  Living in Ontario I’m unfortunately surrounded by these idiots….I mean delusional Leaf fans……no wait, idiots was right.  ;-)

- Honestly yours

The train works best for me. 5 min walk to the Bell Center from the train station, if you run. I am in Ontario also.

135. SeriousFan09 says:

You’re going to be at the Ducks game? Awesome, going to that one myself, but a wee bit higher up in the seating than you are I imagine, going to have a similar drive though, comin’ in from Brantford.

136. Mike D says:

Thanks Chuck

- Honestly yours

137. Sportfan says:

So im late or delayed or what ever but would there be a way to get Bill Guerin for cheap to go with Gomez and Gionta cause i mean the revolving door of players for them is a bit much now. I mean i feel bad for guys like boyd who is still sitting out but we need some stability with the 2nd line gio and gomez are much better than this point wise

138. SeriousFan09 says:

Sometimes you just need to shake things up a tiny bit, not a permanent assignment just swap Eller in, get Gomez thinking about not playing while he watches the game and maybe spark him a little. Eller’s a solid player who should get more chances to play with scorers. He might not do much but our 2nd line isn’t doing a ton as it is. An experiment for 1 game out of 82 won’t change much.

139. Mike D says:

Hey SF,

I was gonna ask you if you were going to that game…figured you were.  I was able to get a seat in the Red B Corners (I think that’s what it’s called, have to check my e-tickets) on the side of the ice were the Habs shoot for two periods.  I thought about getting a platinum seat but the price was hard to swallow, especially considering the price of either gas or a train ticket.

Ian,

I might take the train, but my gf is coming with me and 2 train tickets are alot more expensive that gas for one vehicle.  She’ll be sitting in the Molson Ex Zone with a few of my cousins.  Sadly, I was the only one willing to ante up for good seats.  Mind you, it was impossible to get good seats next to each other in any section.

Really looking forward to the game though.  I haven’t been to the Bell Centre since it was the Molson Centre in the first year it opened.

- Honestly yours

140. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m in the Whites more along center ice, picked up two tickets as my sister’s belated birthday gift, figured it would be good as we’ve almost never just gone to a game together and thought it would be fun.

I’ve not had a lot of opportunities to hit the Bell Centre since it opened, it was once a year at one point, than it died out, than I managed to get the best seats I’ll ever have (3rd row behind Visitor’s Bench) for the Oct. 31st Habs-Leafs game last season with my sister, got it through my father’s job so I’ll never be that close again without gigantic, lightning-strikes-twice luck. This will be the first time I’ve attended a live game twice in a season.

141. SmartDog says:

….and expansion… the best players are here… but there are a lot of OTHER GUYS TOO!

142. The Cat says:

Guerin would be a smart move. He wasnt a factor in the last playoffs cause he was injured but hes proved his mettle, I would do it. Hes one of those guys like Gary Roberts, you cant go wrong with guys like that.

You guys should hook up and split the gas. But it is well worth the extra coin to avoid weather on the 401. Beside, you ride the train together and talk hockey all the way. Watch out though, the girls might just wonder off to the bar car.

144. VancouverHab says:

Agree to disagree I guess. I say that benching should be for lack of effort, not production. Gomez & Gionta are trying very hard — in fact, too hard — and benching a vet in that situation sends a discouraging message to him, and the WRONG message to the rest of the team (i.e. hard work gets you benched.)

If a player is honestly trying, and is not costing the team defensively (like O’B does, alas) — and Gomez is nearly our #1 defensive forwrd right now — then benching is just weak coaching.

But, agree to disagree is OK ;–)

145. jennifer1984 says:

this summer my sister and i took the train roundtrip from Stratford, ON to Montreal and it cost us about $242 each with tax.

Much better than having the hassle of driving and the 401. The construction is currently ridiculous. Plus we got to sit back, watch movies on the laptop and think of what we were gonna buy when we got to the Bell Centre and how much poutine we were going to eat. (we swore it off for 3 months before so we could have real stuff)

muuuuuuch better than driving. but my sister also doesn’t drive and i would have had to do the full drive.

146. habs365 says:

Tampa will show them

147. scrowe21 says:

Gomez and Gionta should be able to play with anyone, Guerin wouldn’t help much, and if he did they’d be back to square one next year once hes retired. Gionta’s snake bit, Gomez is Gomez. Just give Eller the spot, let him make his mistakes, learn and improve. Either that or trade some prospects / picks for a good younger power forward. (ex. Chris Stewart, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic) ..or trade Captain Gionta….yeah I said it.

148. rocketsglare says:

JM strikes me as a coach who is above benching a vet like Gomez. I don’t even think he would

demote Gomez to the 3rd/4th line. I still feel that the solution to that line is to put Pouliot  on

it and see how they play for a period of time. They had chemistry last year and why not see if

they can reproduce that chemistry again. But, either way, whom ever JM decides to put on the

Gionta-Gomez line must be given time to develop that all important player chemistry like you

see between Cammalleri, Plekanec, and Kostitsyn.

I don’t think signing an aging vet like Guerin is the solution to getting Gionta and Gomez going.

Guerin would displace one of the younger forwards and take away minutes from their develop–

ment which could impact their performance later in the season.

I say put Pouliot on the Gionta-Gomez line and give them time to gel. The solution I believe is

in our current personnel and not in signing a player like Guerin, especially with our cap situation

and need to play/develop our younger forwards.

149. habs365 says:

See what happens next game, they’ve been playing good no need to panic yet, no good doing patch work with Guerin, remember we’re re-building and we gotta get young players that can score, we have a lot of young players but their stats goal wise is not looking good, they know how to play as a team but can’t score…

150. Everlasting1 says:

Much improved with rookies Seguin, Caron.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

151. RGM says:

Such an epic, epic fail.

The rights and liberties accorded to Canadians in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms are rights and freedoms we enjoy vis-a-vis the government of Canada. They do not apply to a private message board. If Mike Boone wants to remove 38 posts per day from the Habs Inside/Out website, it is in no way, shape, or form an abridgement of your right to free speech. You can still go scream “Carey Price sucks” or whatever other absurdities you wish to spew in a town square, in a field, in the mall, on your blog, in your basement, in your friend’s living room, at the Bell Centre, at the Air Canada Centre, at the race track, at the bingo hall, or anywhere else you wish and the police will not come and arrest you for saying it. Free speech is not the privelige to post stupid things on the Internet without them being edited, removed, or moderated based on their content. Free speech is the ability to express one’s views without recrimination or censorship or fear of arrest from the government of Canada.

It is remarkable and shocking to me how many people do not have the most basic concept and understanding of what our rights are, and equally remarkable and shocking how frequently people think their “free speech” is being threatened if they post things that go against the terms and conditions they explicitly agreed to when they click the “I Agree” button when signing up for a membership on a private website. Seriously, I learned about these basic principles when I was 16. Do they not teach this sort of thing anymore, or are people too busy farting around on the Internet when they should be getting a proper education?

152. Willy the bum says:

No snow anymore; the cause of it all is LOCAL BABES IN COSTUMES!!! Happy Halloween!!! :D

153. Rob says:

zing!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

154. Duracell3 says:

There isn’t a team in the leauge that would take Hammer’s contract.

Interesting thought for next year though:

Wave goodbye to Gil and Hammer

+7.5 million

Use Obryne/Picarde/Weber

-2.5 million ish (pretty liberal estimate imo)

Pay Gorges some dollars

-3 million ish  from current bill (again I think I’m being kind, maybe he is worth more on the market though)

I’m assuming we’d be paying Gorges 4 million here, that is probably too much and won’t happen. So we’d have 2 million more to use on the cap next year. Depending on what happens with AK46 it may go to him, if say he leaves though, we basically have 5 millionish at least to buy a forward.

This pleases the battery.

155. punkster says:

1. No. They can make the playoffs and maybe even make some noise again. But they’re still a year or two away from being a real contender. But entertaining, hell yes!

2. Why is this an either/or to you? Are there no other possibilities? Markov didn’t want to be out. He had an equipment problem. He tweaked his “lower body injury”. He had gas. This question is unacceptable and not up to your usual standards.

3. Love to see him on the second line for 5+ games or even more. Playing with two consummate pros like the Gs would definitely enhance his game. If he can’t perform with these two guys then back to the 3rd line.

4. Let them work it out.

5. No. The Negative Nellies just love to find scapegoats and these two guys are easy targets because they are forced to put in so many minutes. Hell, PK makes as many mistakes as these two guys put together but you don’t hear a whole lot of complaining about him…yet…but that will come on here. Everyone gets their turn on the HI/O spit.

156. fbkj says:

ex quebeccers that live in ontario? is this a new phenomenon?

joke

157. Duracell3 says:

For the most part yes, but there are players like Nabakov that are probably better than 85% of goalies playing in the NHL. There are probably 3-4 teams in the KHL that could make the playoffs in the NHL, at least in the East,  even on the small ice, and 3-4 more that would be just as good, as a whole team, as some of the cellar dwellers. That in addition to some good players playing for some very shallow teams elsewhere in the KHL.

158. fbkj says:

welcome aboard, if i lived in st. leonard id be in ontario too

yeah i said it!

jokes aside, welcome man

159. Duracell3 says:

You’re thinking of Gio that got 48 one year, and I expect him to get 30 if he plays a whole 82 games (which I don’t expect).

If Scott Gomez ever scores 20 goals in a season again, I will buy you a Tofu dog, withyour choice of condiments of course.

160. W35T5ID3 says:

Ok so here’s the solution to the habs gio/gomer line production problems.It goes as follows:

ak46-plex-larrycamel

pouliot-lapierre-gio

moen-gomer-eller

darche-halpern-pyatt

or sub in pyatt with boyd depending on whos sittin that night and …..if this dont work…

CALL UP RYAN WHITE cuz he’s the man!

161. andrewberkshire says:

You obviously haven’t seen many KHL games. The Panthers one their worst night would tear the best KHL team apart. That league is soft as hell and there’s no way any of those teams could survive on small ice.

162. SmartDog says:

Well surprise, surprise, we’re generally in agreement on the majority here (1,3,5).

For #2… either/or makes it more intersting.  Should Markov have been out there or is it okay that he wasn’t?  Martin said he was happy with his lines.. so it wasn’t equipment or whatever.  And to me, that’s just crazy.  Your Power Play ace comes back from injury, you have one of the WORST power plays in the league and you bench him during a 5-on-3 when you’re a goal behind?  HUH??

For #5, we can agree to disagree.  Happy to see that others here see it like I do. I am not crapping on Gomez when I say it’s up to JM to CHANGE SOMETHING to get G and G out of their rut. In fact, I’m kind of saying the opposite. I don’t think it’s up to them at this point – I think this is what the coach is there for. You pull your goalie when he’s having an off night. It’s not a criticism, it’s just what you do.  And it’s actually for the goalies good. Likewise, you shuffle/sit/move/call-out/challenge players when they are in a funk they can’t get out of.  I can respect Martin’s strategy as a defense-first coach who rallies teams behind a tight philosophy.  But I can’t respect his inflexiblity in situations like this.  Players get in his dog-house and don’t come out.  Other players get untouchable status… neither is good.

163. habs365 says:

myself I would leave

> The 1st line as is

> 2nd line:  Pouliot,  Halpern,  Gionta

> 3rd line:  Moen,  Gomez,  Lapierre

> 4th line:  Boyd,  Eller,  Pyatt

now is a good time to try it, too late come feburary…as far as scoring goes not much to work with, after the first line other than Halpern very few goals or points from the other forwards…

164. WarHero says:

Absolutely! They should take a good, long look at Shane Price. He just turned 17 and is draft eligble this year. Kids has lots of heart, great vision and a decent set of hands. You can be sure the Sens are taking a look.

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

165. WarHero says:

This is for SeriousFan09:

Absolutely! They should take a good, long look at Shane Prince. He just
    turned 17 and is draft eligble this year. Kids has lots of heart, great
    vision and a decent set of hands. You can be sure the Sens are taking a
    look.

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

166. SmartDog says:

Double double.

167. Bugs says:

Instead of taking good hard looks at one guy, I think they should take a look at everybody. Wait for the cream to rise when it’s all said and done, and THEN pick.

And if it’s à talent égal?

Take the frenchie, baby!

Spuriously furious, I swear as

168. SmartDog says:

What’s interesting about your third line is that the two wingers ARE the kinds of guys that might just work when Gomez shovels the puck out from behind the net… guys that get the dirty goals while standing in front.   Crazy.  But could work.

And I’d like to see Halpern with Gionta.  Halpern is VERY SMART.  It could work.  Eller 4the line center… dunno.

169. SmartDog says:

Gomez is “nearly our #1 defensive forward”?  Huh?   With Plekanec and Halpern out there?  And BTW, Pleks is +3, Halpern +4, Gomez +1.  You’re tossing him a bone because since he’s not making goals you want to assume he’s contributing.

Regardless of “how hard he is trying” (and I always think of my mother when people say that)…. Gomez is not in the right space right now to succeed.  I don’t like Gomez really and his contract stinks, but even I admit he’s better than he has been lately.  The coach pulls a goalie on an off night whether he’s trying hard or not doesn’t matter.  This is Gomez’s situation.  And Martin is saying “work it out yourself”, when he should be saying “Gomez you’re playing like Betty White out there.  Play on the third line for a night and see if the change of scenery sparks something.”  Or sit for a period or whatever.  These kinds of actions say things that words can’t.  Gomez needs a kick in the head FOR HIS OWN GOOD.  It’s Martin’s JOB to give it to him and help him out of his scroring funk.

170. twocents says:

1. No. But they can stay near the top. They can win their division.

2. A surprising decision, but hardly something to dwell on. It was his first game back, coach felt he had better options on that night, or as Punkster suggests, there may have been other factors unbeknown to us.

3. I say try him with G and G, but I think it’s reasonable to delay that move for a couple more games to help further build his confidence. Which appears to be on the upswing.

4. They aren’t slacking out there, ignoring specific instructions, playing without effect entirely, nor are they kids, which are the cases with the other examples you gave. Give them more time. Pleks went through a stretch of 21 games with only 3 points just two years ago. Then in the same season he went through another stretch of 12 games with only 2 points. Were you clamouring to get him scratched then?

5. No. Hamrlik has started to come around. Spacek is still a bit off, but not to the degree that is often portrayed here.

171. HFX-HabFan says:

Wow, San Fran goes up 3-1 in the World Series.

172. SeriousFan09 says:

Cool, maybe the Habs can steal him out of the draft.

173. Mike D says:

I agree Hammer’s contract would be very tough to move and it’s likely wishful thinking on my part.  But, given there’s only one year left, isn’t it somewhat possible that a team with cap space would be willing to take it on, especially if the need for a veteran and useful Dman exists?

Not so sure we’ll be waving goodbye to Gill, but agree that it could very well happen.  I’d like to re-sign him for a 1 year deal (2 at the most) because he’s proved his worth, and is a demon in the playoffs.  He will also set a good example for the younger Dmen in the organization and show them how to be more effective.  The plus is that I don’t think he’d cost us much more than 1.5-2M.  He and Gorges have shown they’re an effective pair.

Gorges will be getting a raise from the 1.1 he makes now for sure.  Likely around the 3-3.5M range and a longer term deal (4 years or more).  Gotta love Gorges.  The kid’s all heart.

AK46 is a tough one.  We know he has the skills, but will he be consistent is the question.  Given his effort/production over the past couple years, I think 3.5M is about right for his new contract assuming he has a good season this year to earn the small raise.  For 4+mil I think we can get someone with his skill level whose effort we won’t have to question.

- Honestly yours

174. fbkj says:

are you advocating equal oportunity regardless of skin colour or creed, if so, agreed

175. Xtrahabsfan says:

Censorship eh!Law Good enough for Canadians but not good enough for Canadiens……

176. pmaraw says:

we’ll be hard pressed to get a steal this year :D

177. Mattyleg says:

Why do people always feel the need to talk about Gomez and Gionta together?

Do we talk about Pleks and AK together? Or Pleks and Cammi?

Gomer to 3rd line.

Let him use his famous sense of humour to laugh at that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

178. SeriousFan09 says:

That doesn’t stop the Red Wings from picking HOFers in the 8th round :P

179. samTHEman says:

trade gionta? what kinda crack are you on mate?? i really hope you are joking. if not, it is now obvious that you are a typical moron bandwagonner and should cease to exist.

180. samTHEman says:

Welcome Mike.

Careful with “He who must not be named” (aka #41). Very touchy subject :)

181. habs001 says:

with trades and free agents on the team we are not bad but how we miss one good draft pick forward that is now 23-24 and has some scoring ability…looks like the next group of forwards we have drafted have much better offensive upside…

182. SeriousFan09 says:

Andrei K and his wheelchair at the advanced age of 25 would argue that point.

183. Mike D says:

Stratford, eh.  Nice.  I have more neighbours on HIO than I initially thought.  I go up to Stratford every once in a while to buy drum gear from Long & McQuade.

$242 each is pretty damn expensive for a train ride.  I agree it would be nice to just sit back and relax, but I doubt gas would cost me more than $150 round trip.

If you like poutine Jennifer, there’s a place downtown London called Smoke’s Poutinerie that’s supposed to be pretty good.  I doubt it’s as good as what you can get in Montreal, but they have a couple locations in Quebec so it can’t be that bad.  I haven’t tried it yet though so I can’t say for sure.  For me, if you want to go to Mtl. and experience some excellent local food, Schwartz’s for smoked meat is where it’s at.

- Honestly yours

184. habs001 says:

the bruins are in the same boat as us…they will not score too many goals so most of their games will be close…in one goal or tie games in the middle of the third anything can happen…

185. SeriousFan09 says:

Horton’s going to give them a serious scoring threat though and Michael Ryder’s scheduled to have a good season, they may have more offence than you think. Plus Seguin could give them a boost.

186. Mattyleg says:

I’d like to see Eller centre Gionta.

I think he’d benefit from talking on the bench and getting his game together.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

187. Mike D says:

LOL.  Wise words Sam, thanks.  :)

I read all the posts over the summer so I’m prepared for whatever backlash may come if “he” gets mentioned.

- Honestly yours

188. Mike D says:

Hahaha, thanks fb.

– Honestly yours

189. Jbird says:

Gomer to the #3!!!  . . . . Sure.  But, I’m not as sure as you about the #2 line of Gio – Halpern – Moen.   Sounds kinda like a #3 line with Gio on it.

And I do talk about Pleks and Cammy together, and AK and pleks even more so – that has been a tandem more or less for 3 years.  No?

190. PureGuava says:

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

Cammy – Pleks – AK

Gionta – Eller – Guerin

Pouliot – Gomez – Halpern

Dache – Laps – Pyatt – Moen

I don’t think we need Guerin – but I know he couldn’t hurt. I think the world of Gomer, but think that he’s likely the problem on the G & G line, and not the revolving door of wingers. – ‘Problem’ is the wrong word, I don’t think he’s doing anything wrong, but could probably use a change.

191. samTHEman says:

I’ll tell you why you are a moron bandwagonner. Gionta last season scored 28 goals in 61 games. The Habs haven’t had many 30 goal scorers in the past few years. Ryder, we all know how that ended with his inconsistent play. Kovalev, same story. Zednik, never the same after his concussion. Gionta managed to be  2 goals away from 30 while missing 21 games. He was on pace to beating Kovalev’s 35 goals in the 07-08 season. When was the last time we had someone score goals at that pace, and CONSISTENTLY? Gionta….what more can I say? Oh, 9 goals 6 assists 15 points in 19 playoff games in his 1st season as a Hab. This guy is the pure definition of an absolute warrior on the ice. Despite his frame, he drives to spots Mr 6’3″ Poulio never even knew existed on the ice. He’s fast, he’s got a great shot and excellent hockey sense. And I don’t like him by default because he is a Hab. Where did you get that notion? Perhaps you’re projecting. Out of all the new players that came last year, Gionta caught my eye the most. He plays with so much intensity and heart, brings it every shift.

So, let me get this straight. All of the sudden, because after 11 games, Gionta has 3 points you already say trade him?  Now THAT is what makes YOU a bandwagonner.

192. Xtrahabsfan says:

Got it Ian,respect….

193. nightmare_49 says:

A Month that Made Carey Price … by Stephen Cohen

Price’s record so far is 6-3-1. He has a save percentage of .912% (which doesn’t do him justice), and goals against average of 2.38. And let’s add one shutout, his first since November 2008.

PG – three quick questions. I noticed that you didn’t have Boyd on the roster. Does that mean we’re cutting him to make room for Guerin? If not, which player would you cut (someone from the present roster has to go to make room). Secondly, who is going to play their off wing on the 2nd line – Gionta or Guerin? They both are right handed shots and have spent most of their careers on the right side. Lastly, how can any team afford to pay their 3rd line centre the highest salary on the team?

I think he was saying that we really need one more young guy in addition to what we presently have on the roster ( AK, Pouliot and Eller). It’s a valid point as far as I’m concerned. Giroux for Fischer or Perron for MaxPac and we’re golden.

Hindsight!

196. scrowe21 says:

OR maybe Im just a fan of hockey, and a fan of Montreal long before they got Gionta? Yeah I should cease to exist because I dont think every player PG signs should stay here forever. I like a lot of players on each team in the league, and I like Gionta’s work ethic and he seems like a really good guy, I like that he goes to the net despite his tiny frame.. I dont like his slap shots from the blue line everytime he gains the zone that the goalie can see a mile away, I dont like his size ( not his fault I know ) , I dont like how he seems to be past his prime, and I think if we could trade him and a prospect for another younger top 6 player they might fit here better. Fair enough? or am I banned from life now? lol

Some people on here dont seem to understand that just because you’re a montreal fan first, doesn’t mean you have to love every player on the team. Gomez gets bashed here day in and day out, all I suggested was a trade.. and I dont mean to be rude, but since you were…i think you just made yourself look more like a “typical moron bandwagonner” than I did.

197. ZepFan2 says:

Then they traded’m at the…end of the season.

————————————————————————

198. Bugs says:

Just so we’re clear, Zeppy, are you also of Mr.Ian’s opinion that if Halak hadn’t implied to play him or trade him in December that he’d still be here?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

199. Bugs says:

That’s funny; they played’m…

Spuriously furious, I swear as

200. Storm Man says:

What is all this talk about one game? So what we lost, time to watch some football today NFL style :).

201. aemarchand11 says:

Although I detest football, I agree, its just one game.

2010-2011

202. rocketsglare says:

Talk about major underachievement. The Boys are 1-6 and in complete free fall. There will be

major changes from top to bottom and the first to go will be Wade Phillips.

What an embarrassment in Big D. To have all that skill and talent and yet be so dysfunctional.

Well, not all is lost. I still have the Habs to cheer for and watching them so far has been pure

delight. They are fun to watch and IMO will only get better.

203. HABZ24 says:

oh well cant expect to go 82 and oh.  they slack off thinking floridas a breeze to beat but panthers gear it up to play us. bill guerin  ya sure why not bring back stephan richer too, lol.

204. SeriousFan09 says:

Why is it after every lost game we get a bunch of whining that we need a 40-year old Bill Guerin (who looked pathetic against us in the SC Playoffs last spring) to solve our problems?

205. punkster says:

But SF, the sky is falling, we’re not going to make the playoffs, the end is nigh!!!

I can only chuckle at some of the suggestions after a loss. They get better ever season.

206. Chuck says:

I wonder if Bill Guerin could help the Bills or Cowboys.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

How about Owen Nolan!!!

208. VancouverHab says:

Well, hey, someone was talking favourably about Darcy Hordichuk (!!) here two days ago….

209. Storm Man says:

How on earth could you detest football? Next you don’t like like beer and steak.

210. ABHabsfan says:

I am currently drinking beer, eating steak and watching NFL football.

211. SeriousFan09 says:

How on earth could you detest football?

9 minutes of action over 3 hours.

212. Storm Man says:

Guess you never made the cut.

213. SeriousFan09 says:

Storm, I never gave a **** about any sport but hockey and as I’ve said before, this is only my 3rd season where I’m really hardcore on it. Football is a game of inchs, in the sense that every time I watch it I can feel my soul being rended inch by inch.

214. Storm Man says:

Give me a call sometime and I will help you understand the game better :) Don’t need you to lose your soul over the topic.

215. JD_ says:

The problem with GioGom is obvious to people who really understand the game.

It’s the boards. The Bell Centre needs to change the effin’ boards. They need new ones, cuz everyone knows new is better. New boards.

That’ll fix it.

Until such time the Molson family coughs up the funds for new boards, I’m not buyin’ their products. It’s a convenient boycott as I don’t typically buy their products, but that’s besides the point.

Next!

———-

The Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation will be the official charitable beneficiary of fund-raising efforts at JD’s 2010 Halloween home haunt tonight. If you’re in the neighbourhood, Kirland (West Island), and find your wallet is too heavy, we can help you.

Safe TOTing, all.

216. christophor says:

I’m glad we have someone like you around who really understands the game.

Otherwise, we’d be lost.

Lucky for us lessers.

See how your post comes off?

217. LA Loyalist says:

I think we should have a board meeting.

Name a bar and I’ll be there.

218. rocketsglare says:

Remember, the team played the previous night against a difficult opponent and returned to Montreal

in the early morning to then play that same day against a well rested and determined Panther team.

The Habs played well enough to win but were it not for the play of Vokoun and some sloppy play by a

tired D, the game was indeed winnable. The fact that many shots were wide of the net did not help the

cause last night. I chalk the loss not to lack of effort, but to mental/physical fatigue. Let’s not see to

much in this one loss against Florida but see the positive of a very tired team still competing and try-

ing to win. That bodes well for this team in the long run.

219. SeriousFan09 says:

Before it escapes my mind,

From the KHL:

Alexei Emelin recored an assist and was +1 in a 3-2 SO loss with Ak Bars Kazan today.

Karri Ramo made 25 saves for a 2-1 OT win for Avangard Omsk.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Everlasting1 take note of how to properly post about your team. Oh wait a minute, your team is the St. Louis Blues. Nevermind.

221. JD_ says:

So, am I to take it you don’t agree with my suggestion regardin’ changin’ the boards?

222. punkster says:

Waaay over your head, man.

223. SeriousFan09 says:

Just take the ads off the boards entirely. Habs won 23 Cups with no advertising on the boards and only 1 Cup after they had ads on the boards. Statistically speaking, the Canadiens have a much better chance of winning the Cup if the boards are plain white. I always suspected Carey and Jari were distracted by the offer of cheap HD TV from Bell during the 2008-2010 playoff runs.

224. Chuck says:

I think that it’s the three-tone numbers on the road uniforms that have jinxed them.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

225. Duracell3 says:

Nolan had twice as many goals as Lapierre last year  : )

Apparently he plays for ZSC Lions so I will be seeing him in a game in 6 days.

226. Bugs says:

So? Did those teams make it to the Eastern Conference Final last year?

Well, tell’em to keep feeding on their bottoms then. And we’ll see who’s beating who when it’s all on the line.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

227. The Cat says:

Over the course of a season, all teams will lose to a bottom feeder more than once…The habs have faced mostly average to bad teams so far really.

228. king ddd says:

why guerin, why dont we try pouliot again. i dont understand why people cant tried the same thing more than once. hell if wile e. coyote try the same attempt to capture the road runner more than once i am sure he would have caught it!

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

229. VancouverHab says:

You’re the man.

230. SmartDog says:

Dusting of snow?

In Saint Saveur  we got DUMPED ON.

Happy white-freakin’ Halloween!

231. Danno says:

Boone, I’ll call your Triple-G Geezer line and raise you a KGB line  — Kostitsyn, Gionta and Boyd.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

232. nightmare_49 says:

James Mirtle tweets  …..  When does the Guy Boucher for Jack Adams talk start up? ……….  Another low one in Phoenix. RT @erlendssontrib: Announced attendance tonight is 8,171.

Russo’s Sunday Insider: It’ll take the draft to find #mnwild star power http://bit.ly/c6uSIB

Jeff Marek tweets …..  Still believe the league will give something to Briere for his stick swing to the head of Nielsen.

233. Exit716 says:

That doesn’t look like 8000 fans to me.

234. habsguy says:

the most entertaining part of lastnight for me was hearing Phaneufwas boo’ed……whatever happened to the leafs having the best defence in hockey…LOL

235. Psycho29 says:

Didn’t McGuire compare them to the “Big Three”?

236. mrhabby says:

Not sure Guerin can bring anymore than the others Martin has tried. Guerin did not make the Flyers (no room on that roster anyway) so i say nope. Sooner or later something has to give as the Habs cannot have the G line silent for a long period of time.

Our stretch of wins was nice but iam interested to see how we stack up against bigger teams that forecheck very well. The islanders and florida forecheked us nicely and we could not really respond at certain times. how do we respond to the flyers,bruins who are much stronger.

237. CharlieHodgeFan says:

If we’re gonna have a dustin’, it should be Boyd.

Gionta’s snakebit, and when he breaks out, he will score. He’s frustrated and working hard out there, and he’s just too good for this to continue. I’d propose a trade – snakebit Gionta for Gionta in a week or two. It’ll come, it’s a long season.

The only player that worries me right now is Spacek. He is slow, but he’s not compensating for that. His mental errors are much more worrisome than his age. He is not playing like an every day defenceman out there.

238. samTHEman says:

HAHA Leafs fans are freaking out!!! PRICELESS hahaha

239. Psycho29 says:

It’s like rats escaping from a sinking ship!! Hilarious!

240. CharlieHodgeFan says:

That’s terrible stuff. That’s what we must have looked like in 2009, when all there was posted was negativity. Yikes. They are not having fun.

241. Chuck says:

Yup. Put Colton Orr in your top six. That’ll fix everything.  :)

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

242. Bugs says:

Instead of Guerin, how ’bout Poolio? You know, the kid playing on the 4th line who has as many pts as Gio and Gomie combined? How ’bout him?

Costs less than Guerin and we won’t have to dump anyone (ahem, Eller, cough) off the roster to make way for’m.

Subject 2: Found this. Edmonton Journal. Says sumpin about us in it. Not everyone’ll like it.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

Any player half way through the season that confronts management to either play me or trade me is doomed to be gone at the end of the season. No if, buts or maybe. GONE!

244. notbigbird says:

Statements like EJ’s are funny. Gauthier probably didn’t go in asking for Eller and Schultz, but it’s the best he could do or the best that he thought he could do. Whether the trade was right or wrong, I really doubt that holding out for more would have worked. The Blues would have simply gone on to explore other possibilities. At least that’s what I think, but I admit to knowing nothing. At least I admit it. :)

We were treated to a very fast and action packed game last night. Just a couple of defensive miscues by us was the difference.

I have said this before but it is so clear. The game today in the NHL has most definitely reached parity. A team can beat any other team on any given night. The cap has done its job. Teams that have been able to spread it around more evenly is in a much better position with more depth.

More and more the difference in any game will be the ability for coaches to prepare their club both mentally and also to have a better game plan for each specific opponent.

I know personally both the coaches that we faced last night. Peter DeBorah “spelling:? and Jim Halton. The best two young coaches to come out of the OHL in years. Their coaching philosophy is exactly that which I described. They are perfectionist in their abilities to prepare their team for any given opponent.

The difference in most games is going to be coaching and communication. Teams have to play as one for 60 minutes at full speed without errors and forcing errors.

I love the high tempo game. Now, all we have to do is execute and to make plays instead of trying to drive the puck through the goal tender.

We are going to see a lot of 1 goal games in the league this year and coaching is going to be the biggest difference.

246. Everlasting1 says:

On that bluenote..

and before it slips my mind,

FROM THE NHL:

Matt D’Agostini recorded 2 assists and was +3 in a 4-3 SO win over Atlanta Thrashers last night.

Jaroslav Halak made 25 saves for the 4-3 SO win for the St.Louis Blues.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

247. Chuck says:

If there are any more than 3500 in the lower bowl, I’ll eat my hat.

Centre Hice: Check out the new training aid at Brossard.

248. Jbird says: