Skating around the NHL training camps

NHL training camps open today and here’s a roundup of news worth
noting, starting with the metro New York clubs.

Up at their Greenburgh training facility, the Rangers come into camp
with some significant agenda items for the season, as Jeff
Z. Klein writes in today’s Times
. One is to reduce the workload on
goalie Henrik Lundqvist, and to that end one of the best moves by any
team this offseason was the signing of Martin Biron as backup. But they
still lack a top-line center and, unless Brandon Dubinsky blossoms into
one, it’s a glaring weakness.

Also, the signing of Marc Staal puts the Rangers $4 million over the
salary cap and that means one or two players will be dispatched. Wade
Redden’s name comes up, of course (will the Rangers eat his massive
contract that still has four years to run?), but it does make
you scratch your head over Glen Sather doling out $1.6 million a year
for four years to oft-injured heavyweight Derek Boogaard, whose main
talents don’t blend with the N.H.L.’s current style.

In Newark, the Devils need to make cuts as well to accommodate the
salary cap space occupied by Ilya Kovalchuk. Rich

Chere in The Star-Ledger lists five things Kovalchuk has to do to
justify his mega-deal, including score 40 goals, excel against the
Rangers, dominate in the playoffs, win over his teammates (is that an
issue?) and stay healthy.

Continue reading “The Morning Skate: Skating Around the N.H.L. training camps >>

1. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

this place looks awesome, thanks!

2. Bill J says:

Not to be rude, as I know you are well respected Stu.

But I read & re-read this & all I see is information on the Rangers & Devils here.

Is this place becoming “Hockey Inside Out” ?

The slogan below the Site name does say “Absolutely everything about the Montreal Canadiens”

I am struggling to see where the “Montreal Canadiens” come into this.

Maybe precedence that has been set prior to your arrival has made me believe I would not be reading about other Hockey teams (without at least a bit of Habs information).  If so, I do apologize I guess.

3. habaddict_andy says:

Maybe this is become absolutely about everything.  ;)

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

4. joeybarrie says:

Do the Montreal Canadiens play against the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils? To me if we compete against them, then it is news that some around here might find interesting.

Really anything that affect the NHL to which the Habs are a part of, do have relevence in this forum. I think that might be where the ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING part.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. Stu Hackel says:

Bill – No you’re not being rude and you don’t have to apologize. if you click on the link that continues the story on the NY Times site, you’ll see items from many other teams besides Rangers and Devils. The thrust of my posts — both the ones I write exclusively for HIO and those that are in the Times that I link here will be coverage of the NHL as a whole. The Canadiens are part of a league with 29 other teams and they do play these teams and my task is to bring some info about those teams and issues that confront the NHL as a whole to Habs fans. Canadiens fans are probably the most sophisticated in the league and certainly should, I think, appreciate what goes on elsewhere in the NHL.

I certainly will from time to time weigh in on Habs news and issues, although I can’t do a better job than Boone, Stubbs, Mio and Hickey on those matters. I don’t think it diminishes this blog to add to the already excellent coverage you get about the team from them by adding some information from the rest of the NHL. But if you do, there’s no reason you can’t just skip over my posts if you wish. I won’t be offended.

6. matmacat says:

as long as it’s interesting.. I have no qualms with it.

7. Bill J says:

Perhaps – but seeing as this is after all a habs site- should he not “Start” with Montreal ?

& then onto the other teams ?

8. Kooch7800 says:

Remember this:

I was never more proud of Kovalev

9. fbkj says:

one of the rare times kovalev made me proud

10. Chuck says:

Great memories! I was at that game (and the previous one, which also featured the Laffs… a rare home-and-home combo) and the Habs basically poured salt into the wounds of the Laffs for those two games, essentially dispatching them to the golf course.

Someone mentioned to me today that a quote had recently been attributed to Kovalev that he would be willing to return to the Habs and play for $1.

11. matmacat says:

I guess so, but I won’t lose sleep over it ;}

12. Bill J says:

Eh – me either, just felt like getting that off my chest “so-to-speak”

Doubtfull I mention it again… :)

13. avatar_58 says:

Easy to say, if it’s true come back after Ottawa for 1-2 mil then. No? He’d still want 5+

14. Chuck says:

Pick him up at the deadline, and as a show of faith he donates half of his remaining salary to the Canadiens’ Children’s Fund. Then he signs a one-year extension for $1 million, and we park him on the half-boards on the powerplay.  :)

15. secretdragonfly says:

Totally agree and for the same reasons I still read my Hockey News from cover to cover (not quite ready to give up on them yet), check the TSN & NHL sites regularly; because although I live and breathe all things Habs, I also love hockey and need to get as much info as I can possibly absorb.

16. Bill J says:

Hey I get what your saying.

BUT.

The Hockey News.  Is exactly THAT…. It is not called the Montreal Canadiens news, and then goes on to talk about all things Hockey.

You buy the Hockey News, for that reason after all… To get ALL the info.

I assumed, and likely unreasonably in hindsight.

That this was a Habs only site, for reasons I already hinted at.

I can learn to appreciate Stu and his contributions I am sure.  I guess I’ve been spoiled in receiving and seeing threads/discussions that solely revolved around the Habs.

For the French community, they have RDS.ca to get as much info as possible.  For English speaking dialogue, Habs I/O is among the best IMO.

Get where I’m coming from ?  Don’t have to agree, but can you see what I mean ?

17. The Cat says:

You’ll live Bill. Now instead of having 154 debates about Price-Halak, therell only be room for 153.

18. Bill J says:

True enough, that alone will be refreshing in its own way.

lol

;)

19. salshabs says:

Love the Gomez quote…

20. fbkj says:

… which gomez quote?

21. dhenry1234 says:

Hello fellow hab fans!

Im in the process of organising my first trip the the bell centre! Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a hotel to stay at the night of the game. Something close, but also affordable.

Thanks in advance

Dan, remember to tell them you are with the HIO group to get the special rate. Great location and great hotel.

We would like to offer you the following rates : $109 CAD per room
    per night, plus taxes, single or double occupancy.

Book your room at this # and tell them you are with Habs Inside Out Group or HIO to get the deal rate everyone.

The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

Ian Cobb

23. GrimJim says:

I’ve stayed at Le Nouvel Hotel before. It’s about 5 blocks west of the Bell Centre on Rene-Levesque. Nice hotel, quiet, clean.

24. CDH says:

We always stay at L’Appartement Hôtel.

Hang in there Stu we need your input, you will soon know that there are a lot of people in Quebec that still think the world is flat on the other side of their borders.

26. The Cat says:

I, for one, welcome this ‘elsewhere in the NHL addition’ and you of course.

27. Bill J says:

Ian are you implying something about me ?

Not to mention QC people in general…

BTW I live in the same province as you… so uhm yeah.

28. Bill J says:

Thanks for the reply Stu…

I get where your coming from, & like I said…. Likely precedence for me may have impacted why I posted in the first place.

I do wish you would have started with the Habs…  Or hell – pull a “Halak” thread and tell us how McDonagh & Valentenko are doing…

Thanks for broadening my horizons though, perhaps I need to do more of that ;)

Keep up the good work…  & again thanks for the reply.

29. The Cat says:

That youre an anglo-quebecer-hillbilly? Oh well 2 out of 3 aint bad…I kid I kid.

30. Bill J says:

LMAO

Je suis bilingue, née à Montréal.  Alors 1/3 Merci beaucoup. ;)

31. The Cat says:

Née implies youre a female btw…Are you hot? ^_^

32. Bill J says:

LOL

It seems my spelling in french has suffered over lack of living in Québec & lack of reading & writing in French.

As for the 2nd part of your post, I think I’m OK – but not a woman … lol So move on Cat. lol

33. Sheldon says:

You mean, it’s time to finally throw in the towel on a bull market in beaver pelts?

34. The Cat says:

I think NJ is going to go to the crapper this year, the team last spring didnt seem to like Kovalchuk being there, I dont see why itll change now. Chemistry is a funny thing.

35. fbkj says:

certainly hope so… flying down to newark to watch the habs at the pru

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Rangers, Devils Stu ??? …= zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

…but I bear with You anyhow Stu …because I like Your taste in music

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=423049

37. The Cat says:

Need some Kid Creole and the Coconuts in there…

38. namgel says:

Someone asked him what he thought of Gionta as Captain and he replied,

“He’s not an a$$h0le !”

Bwhah hah hahaha

39. fbkj says:

oh i couldnt find any gomez quotes on any of the links provided here

40. dhenry1234 says:

You are my new best friend Mr. Ian Cobb

Thanks a lot.

41. The Cat says:

I want to go to NYC this winter, thats what I should do -catch an NHL game. I been there like 7 times in my life, but never during winter.

42. fbkj says:

winter is a great time to go to nyc, its not that cold and that helps keep some of the smells at bay… kinda

but yeah i saw habs/rags at msg, awesome seats, but its more evident in person than even on TV that msg is NOT an optimal hockey rink for spectators

habs lost 4-0, halak in nets, wont fault him though it was when the team was being ravaged by the flu, apparantly between periods half the team were lying on the dressing room floor with IV’s

funny part was, my buddy who took me is a HUGE rangers fan, warned me about how rough a building it is, well when we got to our seats, he was the only person in our section who couldnt speak french :D

and msg is NOT a rough building

customs agent laughed at me when i told him why i went to NYC

43. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I saw the Habs beat the Devils at the Rock back in January 2008…..ah the memories, Saku tying it up, Higgins with the dagger

First Montreal win in NJ in ages

44. pierre lapuck says:

John Hiatt:  Go Down Swinging  AWESOME tune great choice.

45. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Off-topic: Can anyone recommend a great restaurant within spitting distance of the Bell?

My wife and I are headed to the Return of Koivu on January 22nd and neither of us has been to Montreal since we were wee kiddies

46. Chuck says:

Try here: http://www.queuedecheval.com/

One block from the Bell.

47. andrewberkshire says:

Griffintown on Notre Dame just a couple blocks south is fantastic.