Simple math: Win and you’re in

stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out and Gazette columnist Dave Stubbs is filling in for Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber with CJAD Radio-800 commentary weekday mornings at 7:55 a.m. ET, guesting with Abe Hefter. Follow the Canadiens at CJAD’s Habs page here.

On Monday, Stubbs spoke of the final three games facing Montreal, beginning Tuesday at home vs. the Chicago Blackhawks. Pretty simple task facing the Habs to nail down a postseason berth – beat Chicago, or win in Ottawa on Thursday, or in Toronto on Saturday, and they’re in the playoffs. And he discussed the incredible worth of 12-goal forward Mathieu Darche, the best value on the team by f-a-r.

Listen here to his chat with Hefter and CJAD morning host Andrew Carter.

1. HabsFanInVictoria says:

I wish somebody would ask the players what they think of Gomez. Instead, the majority of fans and media (including Jack Todd) treat him like he’s the reason they lose.

Scott Gomez = Scapegoat

2. DarthWade says:

If the Habs win tomorrow, I’d sit Price out the rest of the season and let him have a break. They’ll be on the road anyways so they might as well do that.

• Laramy87 says:

Agreed… Or if Habs lose tomorrow (god forbid) and Canes lose to Red Wings, which is a good possibility. Then i would sit Price…. Either way as soon as Habs clinch he should sit

3. rocketsglare says:

Price should start every game until the team clinches a playoff spot.
    He should be given enough playing time to “fine tune” his game. All
    netminders want to start the playoffs on a high note and that in—
    cludes being in a groove.

4. Kooch7800 says:

Good game Saturday.

I hope the habs resign Hammrlik next year. He has been great for us all year and last year as well. With all the injuries to this team he has been pretty great in filling in. For his age that isn’t easy and he has also pitched in offensively.
    He almost has the same amount of points as Gomez

5. smiler2729 says:

I just went looking for a couple of nosebleed tickets to Saturday’s game in Toronto for myself and my 6 year old. 2 tickets, $210 each! Who the hell are Leaf management kidding?

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

• Ian Cobb says:

Hasn’t your 6 yr. old got a job yet? Kidding!

This is no longer a family outing, like years gone by my friend. The fools that fill rinks for second rate entertainment every night, are just that FOOLS.!

• smiler2729 says:

When I was a kid in the ’70s my grandfather was best friends with then Habs president Jacques Courtois and he used to take me to games where we’d sit right behind the freakin’ bench! Between periods he’d take me in to some hospitality room where I’d meet Jean Beliveau and other Habs alumni.

When he didn’t take me, we’d have tickets elsewhere in the Forum reds and as I got older I’d get to take buddies, I never knew what those tickets cost back then in the ’70s but I can’t imagine they were astronomical. Going to hockey game shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg!

What Toronto is doing is shameful, it reeks of corporate greed. My 6 year old loves hockey, loves the Habs, loves Cammalleri and Price, loves Youppi and the only time to see the team is if they play Toronto (1 1/2 hr drive) or Buffalo (2 hr drive).

Now Buffalo is affordable but Toronto needs to get their corporate head out of their ass. Makes me hate ‘em more!

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

When you mix the the koolaid with just the right amount of sugar, and you have the Ontario based sports outlets helping you stir, you can charge whatever you want and the laffs sheep will pay.

• 21BIGGionta says:

I know what you mean it’s costing me 150 bucks to go see a show at the ACC in the summer…My seats aren’t the greatest either.

• HardHabits says:

Fans in Toronto get to see at least one NHL team when they watch a hockey game at the ACC, albeit it’s only the visitors who fit the bill.

• bel33 says:

I also live in T.O and I have the best seats to watch the final game at the ACC. At home… watching the game on RDS HD!!!

Don’t have to tell anyone here how bad HNIC is especially with Don “Senile” Cherry…

Ticket prices in Toronto have been insane for over 10 years! Not worth it at all…

24 cups– The only thing missing in Scotts game is the play offs.

7. joshua94k says:

Dear Mr. Geoff Molson,

If you are reading this, after you review the income from Molson’s and The Montreal Canadiens after this season, please find some money to pay a nice bonus to a player named Mathieu Darche.

This guy who has been a career journeyman and has had not much NHL experience throughout his career, had come to the Canadiens last season and suprised everyone with his hard work, great attidude and excellent play.

He plays his heart out whether it is a practice, exhibition game or play-off game. The comes to play all the time and has an amazing attitude. He never complains about his ice time, linemates and he plays well with EVERYONE.

At the beginning of the season he agreed to a paycut and is one of the lowest paid in the league and one the team at $500,000. But has anyone worked harder. He plays in the trenches, goes hard to the net, scores timely goals, blocks shots. He does whatever it takes.

With Max Pacioretty injured, he will be the solution to a linemate for Gionta and Gomez. No one should question his ability now.

Mr. Molson, do the right thing and compensate this hard working player if not this season, definitely next season.

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

Need to win this one, clinch & just give some guys much needed time off.

• patience is a virtue says:

I keep hearing this, but I don’t understand the line of reasoning. I assume the Habs would much rather play the Bruins than the Flyers or Caps, so I assume there will be no time off as we strive to stay ahead of Buffalo and New York, not just squeak into the playoffs.

How do others see this?

• Ian Cobb says:

I think the first round is ours, no matter who we play. I would prefer that we be the club to knock Boston out. And also finish the season strong, winning all three games left.

• JF says:

Ian, I like your optimism, but I don’t buy it. There’s no way in the world we’d beat the Caps. At the moment, I actually like our chances against Philly better than against Boston. Our last game against Boston gave them a huge psychological advantage, and we’ve been outscored 15-6 in our last two games in their building. The Flyers haven’t looked great lately, and Tim Panaccio, the guy who covers them on the Hockeybuzz site, is worried that Pronger won’t be back for the first round of the playoffs. Also, Brière missed yesterday’s game with what is suspected to be a groin injury. A banged-up Flyers team with somewhat shaky goaltending is less formidable than a healthy and confident Bruins team.

But realistically, I doubt we’ll win a round. Our defence without Markov and Gorges is slow and doesn’t move the puck well (with the exceptions of Subban and Wisniewski), our offence is still sputtering, and Price is looking tired. We’d be in better shape if we could beat the Hawks tomorrow night and rest Price the last two games.

• 21BIGGionta says:

I’d just like to see Price rest…that’s about it.

I’m not sure about the seating arrangements in the Hab locker room, but here’s an idea. Why not flank Scott Gomez with Darche and Gill? Maybe then he might re-discover some of the heart, leadership and intangibles that his supporters love to go on about.

Talk about being delusional.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Now there is a neat idea. Thinking outside the box, I like it. Anyone know how the stalls are assigned? Is it the players that choose, coaches, equipment manager? Just curious….

• G-Man says:

Another Gomez fan, I see. You ever go through a bad stretch where nothing seems to go right?
      Gomez has been called everything on this site but the Anti-Christ, but I am sure that’s coming next.
      This season has been a nightmare of blown opportunities by his wingers to finish the plays he sets up. He has always been a passer and not as much of a scorer, but as soon as he lands in Montreal, the fans expect 50 goals and 50 assists or he’s a piece of sh!t. In a league where only 8 players will be a point per game or better, this 100 points or your sh!t expectation is too high. I am sure if someone offered to triple your salary you would say no, right?
      He plays the minutes against the top lines and defenders. He is a playoffs-type player. Instead of dumping all over him, why not see what happens when the playoffs start?

• Ian Cobb says:

GILBERT !

You are preaching to the minister my friend. I love Gomez.! He is a big time money player, and he will be a big part of our run in the play offs.

The deodorant comment had nothing to do with Scott, it was suppose to be a chuckle on how they picked the stalls out in the dressing room.

• 24 Cups says:

Wow, Gilbert, it appears I hit a bit of a nerve.

First off, I only mentioned the Gomez point because today’s threads had articles about Darche. I could have used other Habs who’s games are lacking in effort, but decided to go with the most obvious choice. I guess it comes down to two people viewing things from different perspectives. A few quick rebuttals.

Gomez’s slump is not just about one year, in fact it’s a three year slide going all the way back to New York.

Is it the wingers’ job to make Gomez better, or his responsiblity to make them shine? Maybe it’s the chicken or the egg.

No one on this site has asked Gomez to score 50 goals so let’s keep things real. 15 goals and 50 assists would be realistic for a 1A centre with his career stat record.

I agree that Gomez was solid during the first two rounds of last year’s playoffs. I certainly hope that happens again this year. However, you can’t just negate an entire season’s play. We would be challenging Boston for the division crown if Gomez (and a few others) had put in consistent years the way Darche has. And let’s say we missed the playoffs by a few points. What good would it do us having a great playoff performer seeing that his, as you put it, sh—y regular season play helped keep us out of the post-season?

Lastly, and for the last time, a player’s salary does count for something in a cap based world. It’s the new reality of the NHL. I surely wouldn’t bring it (Gomez’s salary) up in a discussion that includes Darche who makes the league minimum. It just proves my point.

• G-Man says:

Tired of the Anti-Chambre originated b.s. that all that is wrong with the club begins and ends with Gomez. 2 things- Gionta is the leading goal getter and he easily should have 10 more with all the open net set ups he’s received. Losing Pacioretty (after an almost 50 game search for a winger) hurt that line a lot and having to rely upon Darche (who is a smart journeyman with a very simple game) to score is not that good a thing.
          2ndly- Gomez gets the time on ice because he merits it. (I don’t believe JTs b.s. autocracy commentary for a second.) There is no one else on the club at center who is ready for the top slot besides him. DD and Eller are seasons away from being the consistent players we know they can be.

• HardHabits says:

Pacioretty would score with Eller, Desharnias or any other centre in this league, so adding him to the Gomez line is like saying the bright sunny day is going to add something to the candle-lit room.

With Gomez lately it goes to more than just points production; it is the added indisciplined and for the most part bone-headed retaliatory penalties, the chirping at players and referees, that he gets added ice time that often tends to counter any momentum the Habs are developing offensively…. then there’s the evident frustration and excuses because of the bad passes and lack of production. All these factors can ruin a teams chemistry and composure.

Gainey had a little meeting with him, a heart to heart they called it. Suffice it to say that was Scott Gomez’ proverbial walk along the St. Lawrence River moment.

You don’t get those when things are going well.

• FB says:

Not to mention Gomez is a -14… Although not a team worst as Wis is -15 but he was -19 when he arrived so he is +4 with the Habs. The next worst +/- is Subban and Gill @ -7

• wotever says:

Hey I love Darche, but he’s having a career year after being dumped back in the minors a couple of times, a 33 year old only spending 3 years in the NHL on 3 teams (not including this year). If any years were consistent for Darche it was consistent as a minor-leaguer.

That doesn’t mean he’s a bad influence for gomez, the contrary really, but it’s because he wasn’t consistent that he is now such a good player.

It’s just a game.

10. smiler2729 says:

That Sushi Row behind the players’ benches being totally vacant for 10 minutes after both intermissions speaks volumes about the mentality down there of both fans and management.

“My second favourite team is whoever plays the Leafs”

11. Propwash says:

I wouldn’t buy Leafs tickets no matter which team they’re facing, all it does is support them.

12. Max_a_million says:

+1 at least 2 of the 3 games

13. FB says:

I’ve gotten front row seats on the glass in Buffalo twice now for under $120.00 / each. You can’t beat it. It’s worth the drive from Toronto to watch them in Buffalo.

14. Laramy87 says:

I bought scalped tickets for $95 a piece and they were front row behind Sabres net… Great seats