Sid who?

The Penguins didn’t need the NHL’s best player to stomp your Montreal Canadiens last night.

Pittsburgh PP comes to life

• Dave Stubbs on the absence of Crosby

“As a team, we weren’t disciplined” – Jacques Martin

About last night …

• Pat Hickey on the valuable (and cheap) Mathieu Darche

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

Dave Molinari’s story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sean Gordon‘s Globe and Mail story

Northeast Division midseason report: The Hockey News

Video scout Jarred Frieman found a cute one

1. ed lopaz says:

with the addition of the Wiz, we don`t need another puck moving d-man.

but I agree that something needs to be done.

Pens have Simon Despres – a 6`4 mobile d-man who we know well around here in Montreal.

he was their last cut.

he should be ready for the NHL very soon.

played in the World Juniors.

2. Displaced says:

Or, Gionta for Byfuglein and a first.  Or Gomez for Yandle and a first.  Or AK for Doughty and a first (nah, Doughty is in a slump right now).

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

3. W35T5ID3 says:

Thankyou.Couldn’t have said it better myself.

fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

4. joeybarrie says:

I find it interesting that the Ref’s seem to be against us, yet none of PK’s slewfoots (you know all 10 of them) were considered ANYTHING by the same Ref’s who are apparently looking to keep us down.

In the end our boys were tired and the Pens were tired of losing. We took alot of dumb penalties, and the replays showed that ALL of them were penalties.

If the same Ref’s who are against us are in Bettmans pocket, why would they not call these so called dangerous slewfoots on the player that Bettman’s boy hates the most???

We took 7 out of 10 points without 3 top players (for the most part). We were due for a bad game, and we had back to backs where we sat in NY all night.

With our depleted team, we cannot do it all. Pitts is a very good team, even without Sid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. Displaced says:

Definitely.  Make the playoffs, ride a hot goaltender, and win a series or two.  Realistically, Buffalo, Florida, Toronto, Ottawa, NY and NJ are too far behind and most of them suck.  Which means we just have to stay ahead of Carolina to make it in.

Price is better than Ward, Cammi still owes us one major scoring streak and AK is due for a minor one.  That should put us over the top.  Following on your Pyatt/White theme, I like DD over Eller and Patches in general to add some scoring to the mix relative to the first half.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

6. W35T5ID3 says:

LOL…too funny.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

7. W35T5ID3 says:

LOL….. dude all i was saying was you go back to your ALL-STAR….the guy who’s been your 1st HALF MVP…..even after a mediocre game vs the pens.LOL….man chill out.Price is goin back in not Auld …..silly.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

8. Mattyleg says:

Haven’t seen you post on here for quite a while. You might be interested to know that people don’t call each other names on here anymore. We leave that to the playground.

Be respectful.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh…. d’ya think?

He and Gill are the best shutdown duo in the league.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. joeybarrie says:

What about PK, Wiz and Markov? How many attacking D do you think we should get?

Why would we trade our top scorer? Just because he is a little slow this season, he is still a 35 goal scorer.

How would Pitts be able to do that trade and still be under the cap?

Why would they trade for a sniper when they have a few players who can score?

Why would we want to make out D smaller?

We have a problem scoring goals, how would this help us, leaving us with 2 holes up front?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. Mattyleg says:

I laughed last night when they said that Cammi had been on the ice for 20 minutes trying to prove that he can play, and they sent him home.

That shows heart, and a willingness to play. Nobody can question Cammi’s desire to win, it’s just not coming off his stick the right way these days. One of those things. It’s like so many things; women, for instance: when you are single and desperate, they ignore you, then when you finally stop trying, and thinking so much about them, they come galloping in from all directions.

This ‘he’s not happy here’ is bunkum. He had a great year last year, and I’m sure he’s not happy period. It’ll come.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. W35T5ID3 says:

Oh his celly,yup i got it but he told me not to give it out to strangers….especially dogs that sniff coke.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

13. avatar_58 says:

Can you translate? I only understand WAAAAHHHHHHH

14. W35T5ID3 says:

….not a problem!

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

15. Mattyleg says:

More empty space next time, please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Mattyleg says:

I can’t believe that the management missed that obvious trade.

They must be blind. It’s pure genius.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. W35T5ID3 says:

Hell no ……cammy is a potential …well hes a 40 goal man.And you want who?Goglioski?a 1st which would be in the late 20’s of the draft.LOL….what planet are you on and if you are smoking some exotic sh!t might i suggest puttin’ it down for a few minutes,eh?

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

18. BJ says:

Does Fleury remind anyone of a smiling version of the banjo player in Deliverance? Pick it up from the 2:25 mark

19. Displaced says:

We’ll have to ask him.  Do you have his cell number?

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Shoulda traded Cammi for Goligoski plus a 1st, as I suggested last week.

Pens go to the Stanley Cup finals meaning Philly or Boston don’t. We get cap space and a genuine attacking defenceman.

21. Displaced says:

Good stuff.  You and TommyB have a theme going today about past versus future.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

22. shiram says:

Pfft thats not true, he doesnt even have a mohawk.

23. BJ says:

We have no one to answer to Engelland. Have you seen this guy fight? Other than an occasional Moen fight we are for sure the least capable out of the 30 teams in that department. And yet we could certainly use at least one player that could answer the bell without having his bell rung, which will often times deflate the team.

24. dh says:

Spacek was good against the Rangers.  We miss Markov and Gorges.  Two top line defensemen.  This is the problem.  I think that it’s unrealistic to think we can replace them with callups from Hamilton.  Wiz seems to have been a good add but we likely need another.

Agree that Subban and Gill were good last night.  Weber, not so much.  Maybe more time for him and Wiz is a good idea.

25. ed lopaz says:

well…we need to do something.

26. F Bomb says:

Great Avatar.

27. jimmy shaker says:

Are you done with your name calling you big man you… you feel better now!  Anyway, come back when you want to talk logic and what’s best for the team.  Price was off yesterday, Auld played very solid vs the rangers last game, has a winning record vs the rangers, he needs more starts to spell off Price, so it’s an easy call for JM and the rest of the logical posters here on the site.  But logic and candor are not friends of yours I can see.

28. BJ says:

Price did let in two soft ones that deflated the team. He did make some great saves but you can’t let in those “I should have had that goals”, they’ll kill you every time. Also hate Martin braking up line combos that work.

29. W35T5ID3 says:

OK,what??Your comment makes no sense,jumps around alot and is …..NOT MAKING SENSE.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

30. adam76 says:

I never saw a “word up, G” pose on a defection goal – nor have you.

Price was a brick wall in the first game – oh yes, those shots were UNSTOPPABLE.

Agree to disagree.

31. W35T5ID3 says:

Um,price goes back in numnuts.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

32. W35T5ID3 says:

Being a UFA comes along once or maybe twice in a players career.Cammy having that option to go to laugh nation said no because he wanted to experience what it was like to be a Canadien.Im sure if the laughs made him an off it wasnt too far south of what he gets from the habs at 6 mil per.He chose montreal because he WANTS to play here.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

33. ed lopaz says:

last season we finished 30th – last – 5 on 5.

our team could not have been considered an elite team.

during the playoffs, Halak played like he was Roy – a .960 save percentage in our 5 elimination games.

we also got OUTSTANDING and out of the ordinary performances from Cammy and many others.

this season started like last season ended – just sub Price`s name in the nets.

Price was playing at an unsustainable level.

Minus Markov and Gorges  we are in big trouble.

I like the addition of The Wiz – that was a step in the right direction.

I would consider bringing up White and dropping Pyatt.

At least White can bang a few bodies out there and maybe add some spark.

Pyatt is a penalty killing specialist that this team can no longer afford to keep.

I do not think we can make the playoffs with this unit.

I hope I`m wrong, because if we make the playoffs we can probably beat any team if Price gets freakin hot again.

34. mike g says:

You’ve never seen a celebration after a tap-in goal or deflection in OT?

Well then, start watching alot of hockey.

Price played very well and won the 1st game, and was a brick wall in the shootout. Didn’t make crazy saves, but he made them (and I can believe were judging the degree of difficulty. They’re Breakaways, for pete’s sake!!! 5 in a row!)

Fleury had an easy night last night, and celebrated. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Please tell me when Fleury was tested and actually made a difference. Maybe 1 save off Gionta in the 2nd period off the faceoff.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

35. jimmy shaker says:

And your best PKer on the ice having an off night with 3 softies = weak PK and loss.  But you win as a team and lose as a team, wrap it up, throw it away and go back after it on Saturday night from coast to coast on CBC with Auld going back in vs the rangers.

36. W35T5ID3 says:

LOL…its not a ‘classic slew foot’ by pk….he sorta disguised it using his left knee….they were both going down together.What is it with everyone out to get PK and for that matter out to get this team?The refs are 7 outta 10 games against us.PK gets trashed in the media for being brash and cocky and dirty and i really see no CLEAR evidence of this.He is just trying to establish himself in this league.If he were white would he get nearly as much attention ?I think not! Clearly he is gonnna be a superstar player in a few years and the rest of the league knows this and wanna halt this young mans desire and passion for the game.He is who he is.Hes in your face and if the rangers got a friggin problem with that then they ought look no further that that loser AVERY who suits up for them every night.Nuff said.

=fire everbody,hire scotty…..hello #25….missed ya.

37. Mark C says:

Wiz lead the team in ice time and Weber got over 17 minutes. With Markov and Gorges out, there is only so much JM can do to limit Hamrlik and Spacek’s ice time.

38. Displaced says:

Must have started on HIO’s grassy knoll rumor mill, I haven’t read that anywhere but here.

I think Cammalleri likes Montreal, but would have gone to the Leafs if they offered him serious money.  This was his quote on July 1, 2009 after leaving a meeting with Toronto to sign with Montreal, “I came down with my agent and met with them,” Cammalleri confirmed. “I always loved the city and had a passion for the team here, too. It is what it is, and I didn’t end up in Toronto. That stuff will stay behind closed doors.”

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

39. nunacanadien says:

What am I saying?  I’m saying the Habs gotta stop signing these small players like Gomez and Gionta who cannot stand up for Carey Price when Carey Price basically insults the other team like he did the game before last night and its no wonder the Penguins came with a physical game.  Jordan Staal, Goglieski and Letang showed Price who Price really was; a young smart alec who can be put down.  As if the Habs didn’t learn that hard lesson with Subban.  Why do you think we traded Lapierre?  You can’t have insulting players on your team, it creates nothing but injuries, unless you are ready to fight back with size, which Montreal does not have.  If you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk.

40. Displaced says:

What are we really?  The team that won two playoff series and began the season strong, or the team that finished eighth in the East last year and sits seventh in the East right now?

Consider this.  Carolina missed the playoffs in 2008, finished 6th in the East in 2009 and upset #3 NJ and #1 Boston and then finished out of the playoffs again in 2010.

Prior to the injuries to Gorges and Markov, I think we would a 4,5,6 team in the East.  Just behind Pittsburgh, Washington, and Philly and right with Boston and Tampa.  The injuries drop us down a little bit.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

41. Bugs says:

Blueshirt Banter. Soobie is a punk.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order:

42. G-Man says:

Do you know why hitters don’t do the Babe Ruth thing and point where they are going to hit it out? It’s called chin music, and it happens every time you disrespect a pitcher.

Celebrating with a fist pump or the like is ok because you are displaying  a “Yes! I did it!” thing. Ben Cahoon does it best after spectacular catches: ain’t no big thing. Price should have that same humility.

43. W35T5ID3 says:

Excellent post!Agree on all of it.

44. shootdapuck says:

It is incomprehensible that a team which gives so much lip-service to “team chemistry” has line combinations whose life expectancy is measured in nano-seconds!

It should be no surprise that line changes are the hockey equivalent of a chinese fire drill!

JM’s idea of coaching is to shuffle lines and ensure that the weakest defense pair is on the ice at the end of each the first and second periods.

Something is rotten behind the bench of the Montreal Canadiens.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

45. adam76 says:

You show me a player who does the “word up, G” after a defection goal.

Price played well and won the first game = allowed to pose

Fleury played well and won the second game = not allowed to pose, not even to make fun of Price who started it.

46. W35T5ID3 says:

Where in the bloody hell did these stupid cammy is unhappy in montreal trade rumors start?Its rubbish.Absolute nonsense.The second he gets back on track,and he will soon,we’ll all start praising him.I dont think he dislikes it in Montreal.He did choose habs over leaf nation.If anything hes just frustraterd with his lack of production and martin’s line juggling which has thrown him off a little.He will regain his form …..i am certain of this.

47. lavie says:

No Gorges = weak PK ?

48. mike g says:

And some will say Price was off his game yesterday.

But if it wasn’t for big saves in the 1st and 2nd period, that game was over.

The way we played, we were lucky to still be in it by the 3rd.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

49. mike g says:

Not to mention how I love how Mike Rupp is allowed to push Hamrlik into Price, causing Carey to spin out of his crease and let the Pens push the puck into the empty net.

If that doesn’t equal “not allowing the goaltender to make the save”, then I don’t know what is.

Saw the replay 5 times, it was a penalty. We’ve seen worse calls for goaltender interference. That wasn’t the biggest case of interference, but it was there.

And not called. That one was a big blown call…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

mike g is Everlasting1/demigod?

51. ed lopaz says:

maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything from Boone on Spacek and Hammrlik`s performance last night.

If I missed it, I apologize in advance.

There are several guys in the league playing full time minutes as 34 or 35 year olds.

Its not nearly as uncommon as it used to be – at least that`s the impression I get.

I`m kind of confused why its only our 35 year olds that are always so “tired“.

I will keep repeating this as long as I`m permitted to post on HIO.

This team struggled last season – we were NOT THAT GOOD during the regular season.

We gave up tons of shots, could not clear our zone, and could not defend.

Our goalies saved our bacon last year.

And Carey saved our bacon earlier this season.

Sure we can have stretches – 2 games, 3 games,  – where the defensive system combines with excellent goaltending, and we win 2-1, or 3-2.

But with Markov and Gorges out, this team is in big, big trouble.

Spacek and Hammrlik are at best, inconsistent. At worst, which was last night, those guys are over matched quite badly.

Martin keeps going to the Spacek Hammrlik combo because they are so-called “veterans“.

Its hard to watch when they play like last night. They were freakin awful.

I know you guys are going to get “offended“ by my remarks, and get all bent out of shape that I would write something negative about this team.

But even the coach was admitting it last night.

The giveaways, the bad decisions, the soft play in front of our net on the penalty kill.

Even Martin had to admit that it was tough to watch Hamrlik and Spacek last night.

If they are too old, let`s try and rest them a bit. Or, better yet, let`s just not play them as much and give

The Wiz and Webber more ice time.

Subban and Gill were excellent.

Carey Price’s G-up pose and PK Subban’s disrespect

Good on the kids drawing attention to the team. Any press is good and the Habs are getting lots of it. If the fans weren’t so passionate no-one would say boo.

The fact is this. Price initiated. Fleury retaliated.

PK and Price are highly regarded, that’s the message I am hearing.

Too bad the Habs don’t have Boucher as head coach if only for the fact that he would better tap into these two young star’s potential. Martin is a good coach, don’t get me wrong. Just because something is antiquated doesn’t mean it isn’t good, of value or doesn’t work.

Boucher is more like the hip dad urging on the young turk to realize his dream and Martin is like the conservative dad who’s telling his artist son that he should go into medicine or law regardless of how much talent he has.

Old age has jaded me to the point where I know there is little I can do to change this, and whining and moaning wont do anything other than add a few more grey hairs on my head, but even still, there is a lot to be said for old school knowledge and often these new age types turn out to be flakey in the long run.

Montreal Canadiens always seemed to be not very much with the times. Hockey players in general were always the least cool of sports athletes. I mean that in a who get’s the most controversial press kind of way. The Habs by extension always seemed even less modern than the rest of the league.

Anyways my point is, that PK and Price are modernizing the Habs and the pundits are like all confused because the Habs are about ceremony and pomp and circumstance. The Habs are like the grand-father of hockey teams. It’s great to listen to gramps’ old war time stories.

53. mike g says:

It’s because referreeing in this league has so many standards..

For 3 games, you’ll get a group of refs that will let you do it, then you’ll catch one that won’t.

Same thing for defenseman. Look how many times forwards get smaked behind the back with viscious crosschecks, and they go uncalled.

Yet a tiny hook in the neutral zone does on the very next play.

Some guys do hack more than others, but I just like to see the game called fairly. Like I said, Benny deserved what he got last night. But so did Kennedy with the slash that followed it.

It was just a hard, cause Benny to lose the puck just like Kennedy did, but the refs don’t call it.

That’s why I get mad when I watch hockey. The rulebook is supposed to be a standard to enforce, but instead it’s used as a guideline.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. mike g says:

A shootout win in Jan is just as important as one in March…

And I’m sorry, but they don’t have to be highlight material. Bottom line is, Price played great that game and in the shoout. No matter how you analyze those saves, they were the main factor in allowing his team to leave with the 2 pts when it was all said and done.

So, just like some players celebrate deflection goals in OT, or when they poke in a loose puck and then go jumping on the glass, highlight reel material isn’t needed.

Big time performances or being an important factor in the game is what usually allowes altheletes to celebrate.

And Fleury wasn’t any of those last night.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

55. avatar_58 says:

I like Pouliot but someone needs to tell him to keep his damned stick on the ice. Plekanec too. There is ZERO reason to have it horizontal, and you shouldn’t be slamming it against the opposition. Yet they both do it 300 times a game. Eventually they get called, and in Pouliot’s case it cost us a game.

KEEP YOUR DAMNED STICK ON THE ICE. If you can’t catch the opposing player then maybe you need to work on your skating, not try to take his wrist off.

56. mike g says:

Why do they HAVE to put that up on the board?

Why is it ok for a player to celebrate like crazy after a big goal in OT, but a goalie can’t show any emotion after shutting down a 5 man team in the shootout?

Please explain why that’s so wrong, and why payback must be given for the gesture….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

57. adam76 says:

So a shootout win in Jan where none of the shots were highlight saves is cause to pose?

Agree to disagree.

58. adam76 says:

Yes that is exactly what he is saying – he is also saying there is a league wide conspiracy at every level of the NHL to help the Pens.  He also explains that 9/11 was an inside job.

59. mike g says:

What a shot by Bugs’ boy Poulioo last night….

Fleury didn’t even see the smoke behind it.

And enyone else notice how Benny got smoked with a slash right before he shot?

I had no problem with calling Benny’s slash. It was there, and he deserved to sit for it. But Kennedy, the player who Benny slashed, turned around and gave him back the same type of treatment. Just as hard, and Benny even lost the puck for a second before getting it back and shooting it.

But of course, like usual, when you play vs the Pens, your calls get magnified by 1000 times, and most of their’s simply go unnoticed.

And to quote Kris Letang after the game last night, “We know we can win without Sid”.

Um, yea, great stuff Kris. You’ve won 1 game out of 4 without him. That’s about the same winning percentage as the Islanders have every 4 games.

So, great quote…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. G-Man says:

You don’t think the Pens had that picture of Price’s pose in their dressing room? “Showing up” the other team brings consequences. The Pens have way more firepower than the Habs (so do 23 other teams for that matter), so scoreboard pointing and crap like that shouldn’t be happening. The Habs aren’t so good they can rub other players’ faces in it.

61. mike g says:

Um, no…, not what I’m saying…

What I’m saying is that Price earned the shootout victory. He stoned 5 straight Pens shooters and player and very solid game that night. There was a great performance behind the celebration.

As for Fleury, he hardly got tested yesterday. Made routine saves, and his team got over 14 minutes of PP time. He had an easy day in his crease, and wasn’t even a factor in the win.

See it as if Max Talbot would’ve done that last night. He was a non-factor, and did nothing big to influence the outcome of the game. It would’ve been wrong for him too. But if Goligoski would’ve done a celebration move during the postgame celebration, fine. He earned it, scored 2 goals and added an assist. He performed big and influenced the game.

Fleury’s celebration was like someone pulling the Danny Briere goal celebration after getting an assist on a goal. You just don’t do that.

I have no problem with guys celebrating, just pick your spots when you’ve earned it.

And Fleury himself didn’t have any reason to celebrate his performance last night…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. Mr.Hazard says:

Ron Wilson’s cash incentive: how retarded is this guy? I realize it was b/c of the 600th win and all, but it basically amounts to a coach bribing his players!

63. Hobie Hansen says:

Montreal looked dead tired last night and as a result took a bunch of bad penalties. So they don’t need to fire the coach or trade away half the team. It can happen to every team after back-to-back games…enough said about that.

However, it would be nice to have a guy on the team that could at least answer the bell against guys like Orpik, Rupp or Engelland. If the team is dog tired and isn’t going to win on the scoreboard they could at least win a couple of fights. Subban fighting is just stupid.

64. Graves says:

A few thoughts about the game…

-Those six-odd minutes of end-to-end hockey in the second period left me utterly depressed. Why? Because they reminded me of exactly what I don’t get to see every time I tune into a Habs game. Yes, the coaching staff is probably right to stick to a defensive, play-to-our-strengths kind of game, but damn, those six minutes were friggin’ fun! Can’t there be some kind of happy medium? I feel like I’m watching vintage Jersey or Lemaire-era wild Wild most nights, and it’s really getting me down.

-The Habs are down Markov, Gorges, and now Cammalleri. That hurts, and it showed last night. There’s only so far this team can go before all these injuries catch up to them. Yes, the Penguins were down Crosby, but when you take away a team’s top two defensemen, plus its top winger, you’re bound to be in for some long nights. The Pens don’t really have a top winger worth taking away, but where would they have been last night minus Letang and Goligoski?

-It’s unbelievable just how many penalties this team takes when you factor in how physically soft they are.

-I don’t mind Fleury’s pose at the end. In fact, I like it, because it adds some more fuel to an already pretty heated rivalry. Besides, if the guys can’t take it, they certainly shouldn’t be dishing it out.

-I liked Pouliot last night, despite the minors. And I really liked Darche, which is fast becoming a recurring theme.

-I try to like Jacques Martin. I really do. But would it kill him to show some – any – emotion? I know I’m beating the desiccated corpse of a dead horse, but I’m dying here. I’m not asking for a Tortorella-esque explosion, but give me something. There was one moment last night when I thought he was about to rip the team a new one for their soft play. Then he yawned, scratched his ear, and went back to looking mildly perturbed.

Bottom line, last night was a terrible loss in which all the problems and deficiencies we knew this team had stood out all the more glaringly. I still think they’re capable of making the playoffs, even with all the injuries. Moving beyond the first round with no Markov and no Gorges, however, is a tall order.

65. HabsFanInTampa says:

So what you’re saying is, Price “poses” last week after the shootout win and it’s okay. Fleury “poses” after the Pens win and it’s not okay? What a novel concept.

66. Seps says:

Price won that game, stopped 6 in the shootout and stood on his head.  He wasn’t taunting Pittsburgh, just celebrating a great W for him.  It’s people like you who are blowing this way out of proportion.  You should join TSN.

67. jimmy shaker says:

Price won’t rebound vs the rangers on saturday night….auld will get the nod 100%.  Price will probably get the sabres on tuesday.   If Auld wins on sat, he gets the flames on mon and carey gets the sabres on tues.  Price has a good record vs the sabres so for sure he gets them on tues, and mondays tender will depend on how good auld plays sat night.  I liked pouliots game last night, stripes calling chincy penalties time and time again……I wish they would remember that this the nhl, a man’s league with the best players in world skating, not little girls out there that need every chincy play called.  Disgusting stripes as usual.  Not blaming the refs even though they sucked.  The whole team sucked in the loss last night.  And JM shouldn’t have changed the lines, you are correct.

68. G-Man says:

Think maybe Price should win something before “posing”? He gave the Pens extra incentive. Not a smart move. You don’t diss the other team ever.

69. CanadienBoy says:

Up to 12 scouts at the Chicago games ,Seabrook could be available he’s making 3.5 mil last years and will be looking at 5 mil type  Cammy moneys

70. Bugs says:

We lost to da Trashers Jan 2.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

71. mike g says:

If im Price, im preparing for the next meeting vs Bettmans Penguins. Thr guys in the room are all aware of the cheap gesture that Fleury pulled last night. Say what you want about it, it was an opportunity to mock our All-Star ON HOME ICE. So, the boys better pull off a win next time vs PIT, so then Price can get his payback; wearing fake big white buck teeth, and smile constantly during the post game interview…. Because thats Fleury’s trademark..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. Bugs says:

Just read Arpon Basu’s article. Claims my boy followed up a couple of his best games of the year with one of his worst and I totally disagree with that. He got called for a coupla penalties too many that may have directly led to the loss but that doesn’t mean he played bad. I think he played dang well actually, especially considerin our first goal was all him.

Not to mention the glorious goal he scored. Too bad it didn’t count.

About that slash penalty: Wasn’t just a little whack; it was a Myamoto Musashi overhead chop first of all, so I ain’t complainin about that. All was missin was a glittering Hanzo katana in his hand and a bandanna ’round his head (yeah, yeah, I know Musashi had the friggin wooden jodos or whatever; let’s not nitpick), ferpetessakes.

Point is: defender gets pounced on, almost gets dismembered in half, and before he can even scream in pain, it’s roof-daddied behind his goaler. THAT’S how you get slashed, boy!

The puck was ROOF-DADDIED AFORE the ref blew the whistle for the penalty! Think about that.

Greatest slash penalty in the history of the club. My boy. Call me crazy, but I prefer a…rambuctious Poolio than an uninvolved one.

…one of worst games of season…

Polygonically contained, I square off as

73. joshua94k says:

Well a loss after consecutive games isn’t the end of the world, especially since it is the 1st loss of 2011. Mike Cammalleri will be back in the line-up against the Rangers and Price will rebound after an average game.

Here is a message to coach Jacques Martin. Have a talk with Benoit Pouloit about the unnecessary penalties he took last night. Take him aside and discuss it with him, or punish him by making him skate extra laps in practice, or fine him, but DO NOT reduce his ice time. Pouliot knows how to put the puck in the net.

On a team that has not score many goals, we need all the help we can get. He has been playing great of late and we do not want to kill his momentum. Reducing his ice time or taking him off a line that has been playing great of late will not help the team. I saw the look on Pouliot’s face when he sat in the penalty box. He knows he should have had better judgement.

Martin tried that (reducing ice time/benching)with Kostitsyn and it has not worked. He has tried it with Eller and it hasn’t worked, he tried it with Subban and it hasn’t worked either. He has to decide who are the players he wants to go to battle with and play them. Juggling the line-up has killed the team chemistry.

74. Displaced says:

That was one time.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

75. kakey says:

Price’s was a spontaneous gesture to celebrate, while Fleury’s was a calculated gesture to denigrate. I prefer the one with more class relative to the other.

76. adam76 says:

So, how many of you are still loving that “word up” pose Price started last week?

77. Top Corner says:

Its on my desktop background and will remain there the rest of the season !!

Loved it !!!!

78. avatar_58 says:

Me? Oh sorry I’m supposed to hate my team after losses. My bad

79. havok says:

I loved it! Still do! Fleury’s version looked like a White Boy tring to have rythm, Not like this!

80. Psycho29 says:

Still love it….

And if you took a troll, oops, I mean poll, the yeas would far outnumber the nays

81. ManApart says:

Great article by Hickey. Guys like Gomez, Cammy, AK46 could learn a thing or two from the men with heart, Darche and DD. Now we just have to dump Gainey and the overpaid, heartless players he brought in and this team will be back on track. I’ve been hearing those Cammy trade rumours second hand, and think it might not be a bad idea at all. Oh ya, Price now knows what “in your face”, to take a basketball term, feels like lol.

82. thehabsfan29 says:

if only our whole team played with the heart that Darche gorges and DD plays with every game we would be amazing.

i would hate to see cammy get traded but if he doesnt want to play for montreal then trade him.

the question is what would we get in return for him. habs also need to find someone to take AK46 and moen from us. maybe if we are lucky someone can take hammer spacek and gill off our hands also.

cant be that lucky though….

83. SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri propels the Habs into the Conference Finals with a dozen goals in 14 games and now people are ready to start rumours and throw him out of town because the first half of his season has been a letdown.

Gee I wonder why Montreal is such a hard sell to get free agents to come here or stay here with loyalty like that?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

84. Storm Man says:

“In your face” is something you understand very well from all of us on here. I hope one day Boone trades you for a Infinite card.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

85. larisalapointe says:

and my favourite…..

86. jimmy shaker says:

I guess the vogue came back on Price last night.  I didn’t like the celebration after the shootout that much and I guess the penguins didn’t either.  I’ll give Price a flyer on last night and spare the fingering pointing.  But Auld will be in there on Saturday night, that’s for sure.  Hopefully the rest of the day will be better after I just finished watching this game on the PVR.

87. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh B.S. it would seem more like the ref didn’t like Price’s antics and decided to watch only one team. That was as poorly an officiated game as I have ever seen. Disgusting. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

88. adam76 says:

I’m not against posing or showboating – but unless the player does something extraordinarily, he looks like a punk.

I wasn’t against OVIE doing the stick on fire, his was a huge accomplishment. Price stopped a handful of mediocre shots in a shootout in Jan, no reason to pose.

HE looked like a punk, and the Pens let him know it.  You win the cup or a playoff series, you can pose.  A reg season shootout win in Jan?  Show some respect.

The last time Price did a pose in a shooutout (lighting bolt against tampa bay) – he lost 4 in a row.  Hope this trend doesn’t continue and he can bounce back Saturday.

89. jimmy shaker says:

What did Fleury do?  Stopped watching with 2 min to go.

90. J Haul says:

You summed it up perfectly.

91. arcosenate says:

We were probably never going to win that game anyway, the circumstances were certainly not in our favour. That’s not to say that the officiating stunk, because it did, at least two of the calls were ridiculous, and that seems to be a trend when it comes to the Habs in my opinion. I don’t think there’s a conspiracy but there might be a conspiracy here.

So, we learn our lessons on the PK, hope to somehow score more than two goals per game at some point and move on.

Rangers on Saturday, another huge game in a very long list of huge games to come…

92. volcano62 says:

“As a team, we weren’t disciplined”

Wow what a genius we have as a coach.

93. G-Man says:

What’s he supposed to say? My players sucked sh!t tonight?

94. adamkennelly says:

funny I was about to say write the same thing….as a team we allowed Pit to impose their will on us, from start to finish…and that will happen when we play any teams with a smart coach…hard to the net, push our D back, keep our guys on the perimiter…aneamic PP and Price with a few softies and this team is done…too freakin soft…how many times did the whislte go with Cooke on top of Price and no one doing anything…and PK is honestly starting to get on my nerves…uses his legs a lot when “hitting” opponents and learn to fight already, its embarassing.

95. Displaced says:

JM is not a verbose guy, but that seems to be his catch phrase following every loss.  That, or, an obvious nod to a specific player being out of position on a certain play.  I respect coaches who can shoulder the blame occassionally, even if they are just taking one for the team.  You know, the guys who say, “We weren’t prepared for the nuance that [team X] used tonight and our staff will work to prepare the guys differently for the next game”.

I always respected managers who rolled up their sleves and worked with people to get the job done.  I even respected the ones who said WE failed, even they blasted us privately afterward for not getting the job done.  It’s the aloof ones that lose their peeps.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

96. ed lopaz says:

Any player who refuses an offer to play in Montreal for the Habs is simply not worth having in the first place.

“fan loyalty“ has killed the Leafs

97. Displaced says:

TommyB posted a few minutes ago on a different thread that “It is what it is today, with the Montreal Canadiens.  They are a product that seems to be desparately hanging on to their history, while not finding a way to be one of the dominant teams in the NHL today.”  Admittedly, his point was about management and not a specific player.  However, I think it applies to the team and its fans in general.  Our past is SO great that it’s easier to hang on to it then look at the realities of our current situation.

Cammalleri is a streaky scorer and that may be the streak of his career.  I’m NOT saying what has he done for me lately, but how long do we hold onto a player’s past accomplishments before we have a right to expect a certain level of consistent production?

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?

98. topher5468 says:

Im so sick of this BS on Prices’ “pose”, so efin what, the kid was happy he stoped all the shooters in the SO, he has struggled so much on that type of shot all year and was excited. How can that be offensive? Is it offensive when a player scores a goal and celebrates, No. I dont like the extrta stuff, but it was not offensive by any means, shooting the puck toward them would have been offensive but c’mon, they (Pens) just dont like us and they are the biggest bunch of babbies in the league, especially Cindy. Oh yea, their announcers are as bad as Jerk Off Edwards on NESN, Bob Errey and Steggerwald, horrible.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

99. havok says:

An ADULT paid MILLIONS to PLAY hockey finds it offensive when a goalie celebrates a save,wow..So much for it being a tough sport, I hope Price continues to celebrate…and if I didnt think Fleury was a loser before..get your own damn move LOL

100. says:

I didn’t see Fleury make any jaw dropping saves.  Or stop 5 in a row in an important shootout.

4 PP goals against???  Give me a break.

They Call Me Shane

101. avatar_58 says:

I know if *I* were Price I’d do it again next time, if only to start something. The pens are whining female parts.

102. Psycho29 says:

Nothing wrong with a goalie showing some emotion, it’s no different from a player jumping on the glass after scoring a goal 5 minutes into a game or two players (think of Colorado) doing a flashdance together after a goal.

You just look for any excuse to bash Price…..this goes back to last year with your unfounded rumors about his off ice “activities”…

Could it be you’re just upset because your real team The Blues got shelled last night???

103. says:

Any reply to adam76 is a waste of your personal time.

ADam76 brings nothing to the boards.  He knows it, and will never be credible here.

They Call Me Shane

104. adam76 says:

I always find it amazing you find time to post.  Between cutting out photographs of Price to stick over your bed, and sewing “Go Habs Go” into your jacket – it must be hard.

105. Seps says:

I dont know if anybody’s realized but we’ve only had 3 30-goal scorers and only one of those 30 goal scorers managed to average a point per game in the last 10 years and longer, we haven’t had a player wih over 35 goals since Recchi in the 1996-97 season, we haven’t had a 40 goal scorer since Damphousse in the 1993-94 season.  I don’t care who we give up as long as it’s not Price, Gorges, Subban, we need a 40-50 goal scorer to be an elite team in this league and to be a serious contender for the Cup.

106. Displaced says:

Yep. That’s g-d awful. In fairness there were only SEVEN – yes 7 – players who scored 40 goals last year.  Sid, Stamkos, Ovie, Marleau, Gabornik, Kovy, and Semin.  Getting one takes a LOT.  Sid, Stamkos and Ovie are staying where they are.

Some rumbles around HIO yesterday suggested Marleau might have to go if SF misses the playoffs.  Semin is a UFA and the bidding will be fierce.  The Devils (arguably) destroyed their team to get Kovy.  And you have to give Sather credit for winning the free agent derby to get Gabby (yes, some around here will use that as fodder to complain about the Gomez trade).

How do we get one of these guys? Or the next level down: Heatley (probably won’t play for us), Parise (probably will be re-signed by the Devils or signed by a team willing to forfeit FOUR first round picks), Burrows (not going anywhere), Ryan, Kopitar, Backstrom, Nash, Carter,…. You have to get to 32 goals guys from Alberta (Iggy and Penner) to find guys that can reasonably be plied away.  But they didn’t quite make your 35 goal cut off last year.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a martini around here?