Seven on the Sens

Man, they were bad!

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and About last night …

Senators’ woes

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

And great reading on Saku Koivu from:

Dave Stubbs

Arpon Basu I and II

EEEEE-mail

Eric Engels

And maybe Komo thought she was Milan Lucic

1. novahab says:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if PG traded for Koivu and anounced it at the game tonight and he switch sweaters and played. Well talked about a PR stunt but only something like that could happen in Montreal. We I think we all know that would never happen . Now back to reality PG still needs to make a trade or two to give this team a chance to make and go deep in the playoffs.

2. jrshabs1 says:

I don’t know what’s funnier Komo punching a lady in the mouth..(I bet she didn’t even require stitches.) Or Komo being called an “allstar”. Either way Komo’s has become a joke on the ice and now off.

Go Habs Go!!

3. fbkj says:

good for me that i dont troll

4. PatMan says:

“…The Edmonton Oilers – hockey’s team of the 80’s versus the Montreal Canadiens – hockey’s team of all-time….” – Dryden

5. JD_ says:

Those are actually pretty good seats. You get a fairly optimal view of everythin’. I’m not too far away. Will try to pass by.

6. TripleX says:

WOW!  Very jealous right now.

Please yell out a couple of SAKUUUUUUUUUUU  for me.  :)

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

7. TripleX says:

Isles claim Nabokov off waivers!

WTF?  They do realize that for a team in their position the point is to draft the top pick?

Just move this franchise to Quebec City ( who will have a new arena ) and put all concerned out of misery.

8. Everlasting1 says:

When Mtl fans stuffed the ballot box with his name for the ASG.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

9. Mattyleg says:

…or Pierre McGuire.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. Everlasting1 says:

Some might discriminate and take you for a troll.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

11. mjames says:

I saw the Bulldogs play the Connecticut Whale last. This guy Brendan Nash looked real good. He was in complete control through every shift . I think this guy might turn out to be what we were hoping O’Bryne might be.

mjames

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Cool, not sure what time I’ll actually be getting into the arena but hope to see you there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. fbkj says:

same, snatched these tickets up before any clients had any ideas

14. Mattyleg says:

I dunno, he’s probably happy: I’m sure I’ve heard Nabber say that he’s always wanted to play in Quebec…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Storm Man says:

Did you watch the game last night??? stop looking at G-loves contract and watch how he can control the puck on the ice with his speed and passing he was on last night. I like Koivu as much as the next guy but we have been a better team with out him sad to say but so true. Enjoy the game tonight.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

16. Ed says:

Sounds like it might have been written by Burke.

17. Mark C says:

After Gomez is off the books, Vinny’s contract will only have SIX more seasons left. Is it even a question?

18. BJ says:

Hard to imagine Vinny riding the bus with the Norfolk Admirals.

19. mrhabby says:

Vinny’s better off in the sand and surf anyway. Imagine he would have been eaten alive in montreal with those numbers and doing squat for it. down there no one really cares but i say yzerman will not put up with it for to long.

like i said i think koivu was maybe captain for to long time and both needed to turn the page. he is an excellent character guy /leader.

20. coachdoug says:

Nice…Enjoy the game!

21. coachdoug says:

Pretty sure he can ask to be placed back on waivers still…Isle country is a pretty sad place right now…Elvis has left the building

22. BJ says:

Could have been Gainey’s all-time worst move. I should have added Koivu at 2.5 million as well.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Get to see Koivu tonight at the Bell Centre, life is good.

24. Psycho29 says:

No thanks….I like Koivu, a class act always but that ship has sailed…

I like our team the way it is….more improvements to come by the trade deadline, Koivu would not be one of them.

25. otter649 says:

Cheaper to pay Nabakov than Roulston but Nabakov probably took less money to potentialy play for Detroit than he would have with The Islanders……….

26. punkster says:

It is amazing how some people will just jump on the opportunity to slag PK, isn’t it? This JD guy is obviously a tool.

***Subbang!!!***

27. punkster says:

Way too easy and even the most ardent Gomez “disliker” would agree: Gomez by virtue of his far greater number of points and much lower cost.

Have a field day with that one guys ;)

***Subbang!!!***

28. coachdoug says:

Islanders instead of the Wings huh…he’s pretty stoked right now…”Welcome to the Titanic Mr. Nabakov, enjoy your voyage.”

29. BJ says:

Vincent Lecavalier 2010-11 season 8 goals 13 assists= $7.7 Million cap

Scott Gomez 2010 season 6 goals 19 assists= $7.3 Million cap

Excluding an answer of neither. Who would you rather have?

30. mrhabby says:

Koivu was a good captain, solid stable voice during many crap years and he should be recomended for such a feat in a very tough unrelenting market. How he survived i will never know but kudo’s to him. I was glad he left he may have even have been around a little to long in my eyes but it is what it is.

ps..the game against the ducks is important but iam really interested in the flyer game around the corner…is bigger better.

31. munch17 says:

Red was referring to the fact that the Thrashers penalty killing was poor – he was not referring to our PK.

The term PK will still be a hockey reference. Don’t be upset.

32. observer says:

nabakov claimed off waivers by islanders to throw wrench in red wings’ plans.

33. coachdoug says:

Koivu always a class act and well respected across the League…For all the critics of Montreal fans…tonight people will see why the Habs are the best franchise in hockey with no equal…should be a great tribute…

Hopefully all this stupid PK banter will be put to rest for the year…it seems like it is really journalists keeping it alive anyways…

34. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think it was a mistake at all.

He had to leave to continue his career. He was great when he was here, but it was time for him to move on. I’m sure he misses Montreal, but I’m also sure he’s happy in Anaheim with his buddy Teemu. It’s always easy to be nostalgic. He went at a good time for everyone.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. JD_ says:

Just read this headline in Red Fisher’s The Red Line in this mornin’s Gazoo, “PK Problems Sink Thrashers”. I don’t know about you, but I’ve just about had it with this crap – what the hell is the connection? – so much so I can’t even be bothered to read the piece. Some people just don’t get it.

36. filincal says:

7-3 Dogs

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

37. Rugger says:

Sorry to say, no it would not be amazing.  Koivu is not a 3rd/4th line center and the two top centers we have are playing very well right now.  It would be an unneeded disruption.

38. joeybarrie says:

It’s a matter of opinion, but no one can say The Canadiens were anything but INCREDIBLE to Koivu. No offense to Koivu, but I would take Gomez over him. Not his contract, but his play. It was time to go in a different direction. Give him a chance to make something somewhere else too. Not just dump him 1-2 years before retirement. I personally would not want to see Koivu play for us on the 3rd line and NOT be captain.

By the way, try and remember where this team went with Gomez and Pleks as our top 2 centers…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. punkster says:

I think it was the Montreal General PET scan machine he supported, but did he help raise funds for the Sherbrooke one as well?

***Subbang!!!***

40. BJ says:

Truly a class act and warrior. I have in my office right in front of me a Habs Koivu game worn jersey I see everyday and enjoy. I had the privilege of taking game action photos of him here in Europe when he played for Turku and the Finnish National team. What a great player and leader. Hope he gets two tonight but that we score seven like we did last night.

41. punkster says:

You know, the guy just  pushes the limit with ever comment.

;)

(Ian…that was a wink there…means I’m kidding…OK?)

***Subbang!!!***

42. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know if he will get 10 minutes. But I do believe he will get a standing O…And deservedly so.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. Say Ash says:

Like JD said, some people just don’t get it.

44. JD_ says:

I’m fairly certain open fires are, at the very least, discouraged at the Bell Centre, Ian. Montreal’s goin’ into deep-freeze tonight. Cheers.

45. derfab says:

Koivu misses this place, that’s obvious. The Habs would have a solid 2nd center and be 4 million richer with him. Huge mistake to force him out. Shameful and stupid. The Habs mvp of the last decade and a half. But they will all cheer tonight. Classy.

Hi J.D.

Love for you to drop by, I will be the fella with a scotch in his hand, sitting in my favourite seat, with a couple of logs burning in the fireplace.

Question,   Have you any of that global warming in Mtl. to bring with you ?? Sure none around here.!

47. habitual says:

Stubbsie:  Nice work on the Saku article.  The guy has a heart the size of a whale.  There may be a few knobs who still will grind away about his French, but every year hospitalized kids – and then ultimately their own kids – benefit from his generosity.

Too bad we can’t clone him.

Koivu is coming home tonight!!

He carried this franchise on his back for many years, and carried the city’s youth that were in need the same way.

GREAT MAN, GREAT HEART, GREAT HOCKEY PLAYER, = 10 min. Standing Ovation.

49. Matt_in_TO says:

Can someone please explain to me when exactly did Komisarek become an “NHL star” and a “defensive powerhouse”?

- In Price We Trust

50. kirkiswork says:

Apparently some kids have made a facebook page urging everyone to vote Saku first star tonight no matter what happens.

Good job kids.

51. mrhabby says:

and vinny is not even 1/2 way thru his contract for life with Tampa Bay. Yzerman what a going to do about that albatross. talk about gross mismanagement. funny thing is we almost traded for that contract.

ps..gomer.

52. Chris says:

If the Bell Centre is not absolutely shaking before tonight’s game, people had better check the fans for a pulse.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Not too close to the action, section 303. Just glad to be in the building to see him play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

54. JD_ says:

Where you sittin’, SF?

55. Graves says:

Second time in less than a year that a guy on the Leafs has been accused of punching a woman in the face. I don’t know whether to laugh or cringe. Maybe both. I’m really looking forward to the game tonight. Koivu was one of the main reasons I became a Habs fan in the first place and I can’t wait to see the welcome he gets.

56. JD_ says:

That’s Mr. Tool to you, Punky.

57. JD_ says:

Snubban? SubBANG! Hell, yeah. Fun to sit through one of those once in a while. Admittedly, Ottawa’s rotten to the core. The Battle of Ontario, indeed. Between the Loafs and the Spents, more like the Snit of Ontario. Best part was Price didn’t need to be good on the night for the Habs to win, yet still was. Very much lookin’ forward to tonight. If you’re in the house, let me know where you’re sittin’ and I’ll come by and say hi.

58. The Cat says:

I never thought of him as highly as others do as a hockey player but he is a hero. That cancer detecting machine (sorry for the terminology) he donated at the CHUS in Sherbrooke is quite the gesture. If all highly paid pros were but a minute fraction as generous, the world’d be a better place.

Who won the Game!??score. James

60. Everlasting1 says:

Self portrait? :-P

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

61. anotherhab says:

Get to see Koivu on CBC tonight, life’s not so good!!!

62. king ddd says:

LMAO! oh. komi!

LMAO EVEN MORE! ” the 28-year-old defensive powerhouse” -TMZ

63. _Habsoloutly_ says:

The Komiserek article calls him a “28-year-old defensive powerhouse”.  My first good laugh of the day.

64. Top Corner says:

…in da CLUB…mabye!

65. showey47 says:

How about that first sentence? “Toronto Maple Leafs all-star Mike Komisarek”,lmfao

66. coachdoug says:

Could not get on HIO last night during the game…Server issues?

My new Plek avatar sparked some goals…needed to change things up as I felt my Torts pic was stale…

Sad story with Komi….Curse of the Laffs has befallen him in a bad way…I guess after Lucic tuned him up he’ll only dance with women…he’s hoping for a merge with the WNHL…oh wait, there is no such thing

67. CanadienBoy says:

Darche flourishing in the system and giving is age pretty amazing ,could he be nominated for is determination and perseverance

68. habs-hampton says:

Is anyone else getting “Acess Denied” on the “About last night” link?

Scott,  Just log out and then in with a new comment. Sometimes that works for me.

70. LA Loyalist says:

only you. good thing you’re not paranoid :)

71. The Cat says:

Thats why Stubbs gets the big bucks. What I like about Stubbs is he doesnt try to be self-important, thats a quality very few reporters covering the habs have.

72. habstrinifan says:

Read Dave Stubbs piece on Koivu. Man I was weeping like a fool at the end. Sure it’s just a game and just a hockey team and I sometimes need a life when it comes to this team but they ARE and HAVE BEEN such an integral thread in my life and players like KOIVU have made it so. I was one who thought it was time for him to move on.. but I hope he will always feel part of the CH family and be treated as such. I hope he becomes part of the organization in some way after his playing days.

Merci Saku!

73. habstrinifan says:

I like the no fanfare, run of the mill, appearance of Engqvist on the scene. Size and skating and apparent hockey sense and defensive acumen may just be what we need. Could this open up possibilities maybe? Like move Eller for immediate help in one of the areas we are deficient in or even showcase Engqvist for trade.

I like Eller and think he has potential but is least 2 years away from fulfilling them. I think Engqvist may just be ready to be our replacement for Metropolit… with upgrade. Only one game so it’s wait and see.

White, I think is not really gonna add much to this team. He has grit but not enough size and punch to deter anyone.

Keep Engqvist when all bodies return. Use Pyatt less. Return White.

74. Bugs says:

(Re-post. Sorry, shoulda checked for new page.) This no-hyperlink situation is really crampin my style… Here’s a little low-down on what Engqvist brings to the team, for those who like the supplements: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

75. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t know if this was mentioned last night but I am very happy at the Chris Phillips to Montreal rumours.

Happy because rumours involving the Habs never come true.

My God he was awful!

76. J_P says:

How Bryan Murray and Cory Clouston are still employed (although I put less blame on clouston because he doesnt exactly have the players to have success) is beyond me to understand.  Ottawa is downright awful and have pretty much gone more and more downhill every season since Murray took over the GM job.

Nice to see the habs play to their potential rather than play down to their competition.  Great confidence builder.

77. Mad Habber says:

He played in an all-star game didn’t he? Oh right that was a cause of all that ballet stuffing when the All-Star game was in MTL.

Ya know, I think those people that were trying to get Rory Fitzpatrick in by the same method kind of got what they wanted with Komisarek.