Sentimental faves

4751021

Guy Boucher.
Martin St. Louis.
Vincent Lecavalier.
MAB, for cryin’ out loud.
A cast of homeboys – plus Dominic Moore – takes on the Boston F. Bruins.

Red Fisher on the Final Four

Stu Cowan on the physical stress of hockey

Saturday EEEEE-mail

Arpon Basu on Raphael Diaz

Pierre Boivin to join Bronfman firm

Bulldogs drop series opener to Houston

Postmedia says Bruins in six

Mathias Brunet on Gabriel Dumont

• Shocker: Derek Boogard dead at 28

Photo of Sean Bergenheim by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

•  •  •

To get everyone stoked for a Boston game, Chris O’Brien sends along this YouTube video of a Canadiens fan braving the local yokels at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Parental advisory: Bathroom content, strong language and Bruins fans.

1. Kristopher7 says:

Props to the kid wearing the Gionta shirt in their arena. But seriously, though, that was pretty pathetic, the garbage that was coming out of those fans mouths.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Eller and Leblanc are now 4-6 months on shoulder surgery, which doesn’t sound too bad if it’s the former but both might miss the start of their NHL/AHL seasons, including the key integration period in training camp and good, intensive training this summer, which both of them could really use.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

3. Everyone remember to vote for Cammalleri in the TSN plays of the year competition: http://www2.tsn.ca/showdown/2011/

It’s really close as of now, Cammalleri is losing by less than a percent! Make it reverse HIO!

4. shootdapuck says:

Precipitated by what?
    Were you there from the start or like an NHL referee caught only the retaliation?

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

5. HabsFanInTampa says:

I dislike the Bruins and their fans. Actually I despise the Red Sox, and Patriots fans just as much. What is it with Bostonians? Hurling insults is commonplace in hostile territory, and is usually expected, if you’re wearing the opponent’s colors. In fact some of the comments were kind of funny. BUT, there’s no reason to physically push , shove or lay a hand on the guy. That’s where the line is drawn between class and hooliganism.

6. Old Bald Bird says:

From Twitter

renaud lavoie
    by BrianWildeCTV

Lars Eller opéré à une épaule hier. On parle d’une absence de 4 à 6 mois. Eller surgery yesterday. Out 4 to 6 months.

— formerly notbigbird –

• Mike D says:

This is definitely sh!tty news. Do we know what the injury is?

– Honestly yours

• 24 Cups says:

Two of our best young players go under the knife in less than a week. “If it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all” (Ray Charles)

Looks like DD will now be the 3rd line centre to start the year.

I wonder who the Habs will sign to be the 4th line checking centre.

• issie74 says:

Maybe it’s time to look at some of our own prospects-the way Detroit does.

• 24 Cups says:

I hear you, 74. Not sure who we have that might step in to that specific role. Hard to tell if Engqvist is ready and of course there’s Boyd. Personally, I’d rather bring in a vet like we did with Halpern instead of rolling the dice with those two guys.

White played centre in junior and I believe is doing the same in the AHL playoffs. Might be an option. A 4th line of Moen/White/Darche would be fine by me.

Regardless of who it is, I sure hope they can display some grit, win some faceoffs and kill penalties.

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Why the hurry on the surgery, it’s been what? A month since they’ve been eliminated, seeing he’ll be out 4-6 months, why not wait until September?

• kempie says:

FFS, make it stop! Enough with the surgeries, injuries and ectomies. If everybody’s having surgery, maybe Gomez could get his hands fixed in the offseason as well. But seriously, enough with this stuff.

And while I’m posting, condolences to the Boogard family and to everyone involved. That’s a shocking tragedy. Very sad.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I’ll bet this recovery will also be the lesser of the two — four months — which pretty well means he’ll be ready to start the season. This makes his coming right back to the game after the injury all the more impressive. I think this guy is a keeper. He’s not putting up the numbers yet, but Pacs was also slow to find himself.

— formerly notbigbird –

7. Clay says:

…which is even worse than what happened in the video. Thanks for sharing though. Stay classy.

__________________________
    The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

8. shootdapuck says:

See that Barnaby spent last night in the slam for a “domestic incident”.

How long will it take ESPN to rid themselves of him?

How long will it take TSN to follow suit?

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

9. Mark C says:

Eller went under the knife yesterday, out 4-6 months. Per Lavoie on Twitter.

10. Keith says:

What a bunch of classless A-HOLES, re, the video. I sure hope Tampa smokes them big time. I WANT THEM OUT!!!

11. Tragic news…rest in peace Derek.. deepest condolences to the family.

PG needs to say to Gomez straight up, either go back to Goodman and do fitness all summer (or Gary Roberts) or you will start the season in the Hammer. It is just that simple, there can be no, oh we can’t get a free agent if we send him down. Well, he had the choice. And the best part is, this is a place he used to go to, so it isn’t like PG is asking him to go to Siberia and train. If it was good enough for him when younger, which earned him a boat load of money, it is good enough now.

Is there any chance PG would do such a thing?

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• Clay says:

I would love to see Gomez at his best…but realistically, his ‘best’ isn’t worth close to the money he earns anyway. I say send him down no matter what, and fire the clown who traded for him. (And yes, I know Gainey is gone – just sayin’ is all). Dumb trade. Given that this is the salary cap era, maybe the dumbest trade ever.

__________________________

• el heffe says:

No. Gretzky is still the worst trade ever. No trade in the history of sports or future of sports will ever trump that one!

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• Bugs says:

Gomie is a grown-azz man; he knows what he needs to do. He said he was gonna come back strong. He GUARANTEED it. He’s gonna pull a KOVALEV, he says.
      Therefore, we say nothing. Gauthier says nothing. We take the guy, who’s a grown-azz man, at his word. Gomie comes back next year. He plays 10 games.
      Then, we’ll see.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• LA Loyalist says:

I was at my kids hockey camp last August and there were a dozen NHL guys working out like maniacs (including Cammi, who has a neck like a bull). I suspect many of them take 4-6 weeks off and then get back to work, it’s just too daunting if you don’t.

As for Gomez, he’s still a good skater, I doubt fitness is much of an issue. He’s done between the ears, and I don’t know any exercises for that beyond a walk with Bob and some bread-making tips. His decisions in the offensive zone, his unwillingness to go in the paint, his unwillingness to shoot at all (he doesn’t even have to score much, by shooting he frees up his wingers. Now, D know he’s going to pass so his line is easy to defend).

I have no answer for him (if any of you do I’d love to hear it), and obviously he was a large mistake. My only theory is that he can’t handle the mental pressure, after all, he played in New Jersey, after all.

I’m exhausted from spending 2 years complaining about Gomez, to be honest. Especially as it looks like we have some hope for the future.

It’s time to plead no contest and let him, and the Habs, move on.

• punkster says:

This is your professional opinion as a doctor, a sports psychologist, an NHL coach or a fan?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HardHabits says:

What are you? The HIO thought police. You’re becoming tedious punkster. At least LAL has an opinion. All you do is follow the party line like a good Communist. This is a free will society with free thinking and an exchange of ideas, whether palatable to you or not.

Gomez’ game has gone so far south that he has cousins in Argentina complaining about it.

His contract is only half as much a liability as his game is. I agree with Bugs. He has about 10 games to prove whether or not he means what he say about coming back and having a strong season. Hopefully he’s gone at the trade deadline.

13. habs365 says:

If Boston don’t win the cup, Burke will make himself look like a real NHL manager..and the leafs just maybe playoff bound 2012

Burke has definitely helped his cause since the Kessel trade, he completely hoodwinked Boston on Kaberle, just as they hoodwinked him on Kessel.

Phaneuf was lost on the big ice defensively (i realize NHL is smaller, but this guy is still overrated to me), and Reimer needs to play a full season before I believe he is bonafide #1 goalie and top 15 in the league.

The NHL today, you have to have Top 10 goaltending to compensate for anyweaknesses in lineup if you want to make the playoffs. Philly hasn’t had it, but are loaded through the lineup.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

• LA Loyalist says:

You know, I’m not sure Kessel was such a horrific trade.

Leafs needed scoring immediately, and the guy won’t be 23 until November (at the time of the deal, I thought he was older) and if they can get him decent line mates he’ll be even better.

As for Kaberle, yeah, he’s done, good dump by Burke. Looks good on Boston. If they’d had a PP they would have beaten us… oh crap…

• Mark C says:

Anytime you can trade 2 1sts and 1 2nd on a rebuilding team for a soft one-dimensional player, you do it.

Put it this way, what’s better. Paying $5-6M for a Gio/Cammi type or trading 3 great draft picks for Kessel and pay him $5.4M? Kessel’s likely the best player, but there is no way that difference makes up for the lost value in the 3 picks. It was a bad trade.

• saskhabfan says:

It was a horrible trade. If kessel is never traded to the leafs 2 years ago taking his 30 goals and 60 points out of the lineup the leafs would have finished behind the oilers for dead last hence getting taylor hall. Would you trade taylor hall for phil kessel? Cause theoretically thats what burke did. Never mind the other 2nd rounder and the other first rounder this year which probably would have been another lottery pick.

Absolutely agree Sask. I look at the trade as Kessel for Hall and a 1st and 2nd rounder. Never mind the fact Kessel is a backchecking liablity. No one doubts his talent, but guy is not a leader.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

14. Bugs says:

Love that video.
    Hey, you stick your head in the bear’s mouth after whippin’m with a bamboo rod for 80 years, can’t complain too much for gettin bit, y’know?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• TomNickle says:

I was there for that F the Habs moment. It was at Fenway park following a 5-3 win for the Red Sox over the Yankees where Hideki Matsui had dropped a routine fly ball to give the Sox the win on the morning just prior to the Habs and Bruins squaring off in game 7(Richard Zednik scored the winner that night in a Jose Theodore shutout). I was doing a #1 like my fellow Hab fan with a Sheldon Souray hat on my head and my Bruin fan friend standing behind me with his back to mine to ensure I didn’t get my head slammed into the wall by an enthusiastic Bostonian. Surreal moment.

• Clay says:

Glad you made it out alive.
        And you thought I didn’t care, Tom ;)

__________________________

• LA Loyalist says:

You are brave. I don’t know if you guys heard the story in Canada but a baseball fan here in LA was beaten into a coma (really) by some Dodgers thugs in the parking lot a couple of weeks ago.

The guy is still in a coma, hey have massive security at the games and people have stopped taking their kids. The gang bangers have taken over the cheap parts of the stadium and get drunk. How you can get drunk on American beer I have no idea, but that’s another story.

Plus there is a huge financial scandal with the Dodgers, the league has taken over the team. Maybe they’ll hire Gary Bettman away from the NHL and life will be good again. :)

15. Price07 says:

GO BOLTS!!

16. Clay says:

Terrible news about Boogard. Condolences to the family. I’m really curious as to the cause of death…

__________________________

17. Old Bald Bird says:

I like Cowan’s article about fitness. He mentions Pro Sport Camps; Gomez once trained there, and Goodman says he needs to go back.

— formerly notbigbird –

“Shameless self-promotion: I’ll be live-blogging every game of the Tampa Bay-Boston series (Go Bolts!) and the Stanley Cup final on Hockey Inside/Out.”

Mike Boone from today’s Gazette.

As many of you know, Mike Boone is an avid gardener. Well there will be no need for the headmaster to roll up his sleeves today seeing that it’s World Naked Gardening Day (hey, I don’t make this stuff up).

Word on the street is that the paparazzi has just arrived in Montreal (from the Royal Wedding) to try and catch a photo of MB’s bare buttocks.

I’m not sure what the temperature is today down in Montreal, but a cold morning would probably result in very chilly extremities, and I’m not just talking about Mike’s frozen fingers.

I like the fact PG signed Diaz, not that i expect big things, but like others have noted this is similar to picking up a 3/4th round draft pick. I hope the reports of Emelin signing are also true, as getting someone with potential to be grittier at the back for us is good.

Our Bulldogs dropped the opener last night, I am planning to go to games 3 and 4, hopefully series will be tied at 1-1 by then. Sounds like our dogs ran into a hot goalie last night.

RIP Derek Boogard, will be very interesting to see what the autopsy results are.

I am guessing we won’t be seeing Barnaby on any TSN coverage for a few weeks.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

Interesting to note that Tomas Kaberle hasn’t done much for Boston up to this point in the post-season. At last count, he was off the 1st PP and was also demoted to the 3rd pairing during 5 on 5 play. This after the Bruins gave up two 1st rounders for him. I also believe there will be an additonal 2nd rounder added if the Bruins make it to the final. You can say what you want, but Brian Burke just made the deal of the year. Not to mention that Tyler Seguin steps into the limelight to take over for Bergeron.

Lots of drama in Beantown.

22. Old Bald Bird says:

Google Translate can be a blast. Apparently Dumont said, “At first it was quickly defeated by my side and I was content to send the puck into the bay window.”

— formerly notbigbird –

• NoTinFoilCups says:

That confounded me, as well. I guess there will always be work for human translators.

And just what was it that he meant to say? Ideas?

No one should get too excited about the signing of Raphael Diaz until he can test himself against NHL competition on NHL sized ice. However, I think it’s still a great move in terms of shoring up our depth on the back-end. We only have one Dman in the system who can legitimately play for us in the next few years and the feeling is that Brendon Nash may still need another year in Hamilton. Not to mention that Spacek and a re-signed Gill/Hamrlik will be playing on borrowed time.

I realize that Diaz doesn’t have size but he came in as a free asset and at least makes up for the 4th rounder we gave to Atlanta for Sopel. At his age he can hopefully quickly climatize himself to the NHL game. Great depth move by Gauthier.

24. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning everyone. I am still picking Tampa Bay as the Cup Winner (or Boston if they beat Tampa). I think Vancouver will beat San Jose easily and in that series the Sedins will shine.

Have to catch up with my HIO reading. Been too tuckered out from busy last two days. Looks like some good reading under “What does it Mean?” day’s thread so gonna start there.

Like Boone’s conclusion that signing (Y)Emelin means Markov is back and WIZ is gone. Like the trending idea.. that WIZ’S deficiencies brings him in second to Markov as a choice.

Well off to catch up on the reading.

BIG BIG thanks to Mr. Boone and Mr. Stubbs for maintaing the flow of information and ideas. Please understand if some like me, arent as prolific with our posts now. The site is still a HUGE part of my online activity and I appreciate your efforts and thos eof all the posters.

Thank You.

GO HABS GO! Can’t wait for some news re Muller and the developments from his departure.. seems inevitable.

25. Propwash says:

See that? Bruin fans are so dumb, they can’t even say ole!

26. secretdragonfly says:

Surprised you guys didn’t post the link to TSN’s Matthew Barnaby’s arrest on domestic violence charges. Guess he couldn’t leave it on the ice.

27. secretdragonfly says:

Sad news about Boogaard – didn’t care much for his on-ice tactics but certainly didn’t wish him ill. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

28. G-Man says:

After looking at that video, I wonder if the brucking Fuins fans have 1 brain cell evenly distributed among the lot of them. To call them Neanderthals would be an insult to said hominids. What a bunch of pathetic jerks. The biggest jerk would be the one actually filming while in line for the urinals.

• TomNickle says:

I went to the game that evening(game 7), after the game(Habs won), my friend and I were walking to the valet lot where we’d parked the car which was about 100 yards away from the subway station that connected to the arena. A group of Bruin fans were following us and throwing pebbles at me from about 25 feet behind me. Two policeman started yelling at them, the guys throwing the pebbles ended up involved in an altercation with the police, it was a wild day.