Senators D Not Helping Cause

The Canadiens face the Senators in Ottawa on Saturday for the second weekend in a row. This will be the finale of back-to-back games for the struggling Sens, who are in Buffalo tonight.

They head into tonight’s game with a 1-4-1 record.  the same as New Jersey had prior to Thursday’s win in Montreal. But unlike the Devils, a talented club that had yet to find it’s (boring) rhythm, the Sens could be a team with some serious flaws.

On Wednesday, GM Bryan Murray met with the local media, told them he was talking to other GMs about trades and in the words of Ken Warren of The Ottawa Citizen, was “brutally honest” about his club through six games, Warren summarizing it as, “They can’t defend. They can’t hit. They
can’t stop the puck from getting past their goaltenders.”

That sunny assessment has its roots in Sens the defence corps, which no longer includes Anton Volchenkov but does include Erik Karlsson, who had been impressive last year as a 19 year old rookie with strong skating and puckhandling.

When Filip Kuba went down with a broken leg in training camp, it disrupted coach Corey Clouston’s plan to play him again with Karlsson. So Clouston had to split up his projected veteran pair of Sergei Gonchar and Chris Phillips and move each of them with a younger defenceman. He’s been forced to constantly shuffle his pairings and that hasn’t worked too well.

Gonchar is often out against the other team’s top forwards but he and Karlsson are tied with a team-worst minus-4. Karlsson’s once-poised style of play has gone missing and he seems tentative compared to last year.

Wayne Scanlan wrote in The Citizen that Karlsson “has looked complacent, showing more of a sense of
entitlement than initiative” and wonders if Karlsson is out of shape.

Third-year defenceman Brian Lee has been so shaky that Murray recalled journeyman David Hale from the AHL this week.

Another youngster, third line center Peter Regin, hasn’t produced up to expectations either. He’s only got an assist in six games.

“In his discourse on Wednesday, Murray was arguably
tougher on his younger players than he was on his veterans, and there’s
a reason for that,” Scanlan wrote. “The veterans he expects to come around. The younger
guys he’s counting on to at least be the players they were last season,
otherwise there’s trouble right here in River City.”
Some of the veterans, of course, have underperformed as well and Alex Kovalev, as enigmatic as ever, is at the head of this list. He too has only one assist so far and Murray said he thinks Kovalev has not fully recovered from his April knee surgery. Kovalev didn’t agree with Murray, saying he thinks he’s skating fine.
Chris Neil has only two assists in six games.
The Senators power play at 2 for 24 is not much better than the
Canadiens, which is 1 for 20. Bruce Garrioch writes in The Ottawa Sun that Karlsson has been demoted from the first PP unit, replaced on the point by Daniel Alfredsson for tonight’s game.
*   *   *
Two of the concerns regarding the N.H.L returning to Winnipeg center on whether fans are willing to pay high ticket prices and if there is enough corporate support to make the team successful.
A pair of stories in the Winnipeg Sun suggest both could be non-issues.
Peter Friesen reports today that the paper contacted about one-third of the luxury suite holders at MTS Centre, and “17 of
the 25 executives we reached said they would renew their suites at our
predicted NHL price, which is triple the current rate.

“Three more said they’d reduce their portion of their suites but stay
involved, while three said they weren’t sure. Just two of the 25 said the high price tag would force them out of the
game.”

Freisen says the yearly cost of leasing a suite is expected to rise from an average
of around $60,000 to $180,000.

In another story, Friesen reported that in an online survey by the paper, 72 percent of the 410 repondents who answered the question said they are willing to pay at least $50 to see a single game, with
most saying they’d spend between $50 and $100.

The average price for a ticket in Edmonton is $50 and Friesen says the average projected price in Winnipeg would be between $50 and $60.

However, Rexall Place in Edmonton seats 16,839. The MTS Centre seats 15,015.

The fate of the Phoenix Coyotes is expected to include a return to Winnipeg if the complicated business arrangements to keep the team in Arizona, don’t work out favorably for the City of Glendale. The Winnipeg Free Press has a special online section that regularly tracks developments with the City, the NHL and the Coyotes.

1. LA Loyalist says:

I was shooting up in Muskoka once and it was raining so we couldn’t work, so the cops asked if we wanted to see Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn’s Victorian house.

I said, um, “thanks, but that would be a ‘no'”

They used to get quite a bump on the dollar about ten year ago. Don’t know if the trend will hold if the CDN stays so close to the U.S.

2. LA Loyalist says:

Bad news. Randy Quaid flunked the medical. He’s too tall.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Coaching staff on the Caps bench lets him take those shifts, Boudreau’s never tried to rein him in or anything, he’s just sent Ovechkin out there and said do what you like. Boudreau’s an AHL coach who just lets the boys run around. If Barry Trotz had that bench, even odds Ovechkin would have a Cup by now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. TomNickle says:

I wasn’t talking about interviews Robert.  Stamkos doesn’t take 3 minute shifts like Ovechkin.

Know what kind of a message that sends to Ovechkin’s teammates when he does that?

One, that he doesn’t trust them to get the job done and two, that he doesn’t respect the coaching staff on his own bench.

5. observer says:

If Ottawa and Alfredson play like last night and/or the Habs show up the same way they did vs. Jersey and it will be just another Habs loss.

6. Duracell3 says:

….and that’s exactly what happened, he got bigger and doesn’t get outskated and pushed off the puck all the time so he can use what he has.

7. Exit716 says:

I think the Ottawa Citizen is far more objective than either the Ottawa Sun or the Team 1200.

What does it say about your fan base when 75 per cent of Pierre McGuire’s segment each morning is devoted to either the Habs or the Leafs?

8. ZepFan2 says:

Well technically since it’s a quote, you wouldn’t be actually cussing.

I almost forgot about this exchange…

“Hey, I hope you don’t mind, I got up a little early, so I took the liberty of milking your cow for you. [Takes a drink from the bucket]

We don’t have a cow…..We have a bull.

I’m gonna go brush my teeth now.”

lmao

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

9. Bugs says:

One of the best lines in the flick, agree. First one I thought of, actually.

But as you know, don’t like to cuss, me; why I chose another.

10. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, and who can forget those immortal words…

“Run for the hills everybody, there’s a giant shit-cloud coming.”

Shakespeare had nothing on the Farrelly brothers.

————————————————————————–

11. Bugs says:

Absolutely correct, Zeppy. Feel a little ashamed not to have mentioned it first.

“Hey, you leave Miss Rebecca outta this, mister!”

12. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t forget Kingpin.

Nothing beats an Amish Randy Quaid. Except maybe a one-handed Woody Harrelson.

————————————————————————–

13. TripleX says:

“never underestimate your enemy”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

14. showey47 says:

weber scores for the dogs’,thats 5 goals (9 points) in 4 games and 1 period. Al’s getting destroyed 40-3

15. punkster says:

By the way are you folks going to make the Summit?

16. TomNickle says:

Never give your opponent too much respect is a mindset better suited for a hockey team.

17. TomNickle says:

If Bryan Murray’s goal has been to assemble the laziest team in NHL history, he’s doing a bang up job.

I honestly think he signed Kovalev so that people wouldn’t realize how lazy Spezza is.

18. punkster says:

Great. Looking forward to seeing you Jason.

19. notbigbird says:

Sounds a lot like Montreal and other Canadian cities, I imagine.

20. showey47 says:

You better believe it.

21. Rob D says:

The evil part of me is rejoicing in the early season Sens woes. Perhaps in reaction to all the “go go Sens!” propaganda disguised as commentary that many prominent Ottawa media outlets put out all year round. There’s very little criticism or honest appraisals done of the Senators who, much like the Leafs, are usually characterized as “one player away” from a SC parade. Every rookie is a bust out star in waiting..the vets like Alfie are just going to be THAT much better and that experience will push them over the top, and the mngmt. team is the craftiest in the land.

It’s sickening and compelling to listen to at the same time. It’s like listening to a right  wing radio voice..you wonder how much of the stuff they spew they actually believe and what is paid advertising for the Sens. The media relies on the Sens for so much and the Sens know the media will kowtow to them lest we risk losing the team. Rod Bryden and his minions always held the threat of leaving town over people here. And the media still seems afraid to rock the boat and call a spade a spade..the Sens just aren’t very good.

22. habs001 says:

last year we finished 23rd in goals for..it is still early in the season but counting games so far today we are tied for 23rd in goals scored….it is very clear for us to make the playoffs we have to be very good in winning one goal games and scoring pp goals….we have 4 players who have shown they can score in the nhl regularly plecks,gion,camm and ak46…with the exception of eller it is pretty hard to make a case for any of the remaining forwards that they are no more than 1 goal every 10 game scorers…

23. TomNickle says:

I’ve decided that Duncan Keith is the best player in the NHL.

Just my opinion and therefore harmless.  But for my money there is no better player in the league.

Including Crosby and Ovechkin.

24. B says:

The PP will improve, especially when Markov returns. The good news is that they are 8th in 5-on-5 goals for (last season they finished 30th).

Randy Quaid asks for tryout with Habs.  G&G hope he will be able to grab a top six spot at forward.

26. habs001 says:

alfredsson 3 goals….blues beat hawks 4-2

Step aside, Rob.  I was all over Stamkos even before he played one NHL game.  Now you come in and try and steal my thunder.  Who do you think you are, Duncan Keith:-)

My thoughts exactly, Dave.

If we can’t win this game……

29. krob1000 says:

Stammer got a hatty! still think he is your Rocket Richard winner this season….over under of 60…..I go over.

30. punkster says:

Good. The heat will be off them tomorrow…I hope. Maybe we catch them gloating, napping or just feeling a bit too cocky.

31. punkster says:

This is an unpaid, unsolicited and shameless plug for an truly timely event presently underway on the West Island. Just off Brunswick between St Jean and Sainte-Charles (very close to Saint-Charles).

Last week one of our esteemed posters, JD, mentioned the unveiling of
    the annual Halloween display on his street. I took the opportunity to
    zip by there this evening and I highly recommend you do the same if you
    have the chance. Be sure to bring the kids and rest assured it will
    awaken the kid inside you as well.

But be advised. As Count Floyd would say on Monster Chiller Horror Theatre: “Ooo-ooo very scary”

Ottawa defeats Buffalo 4-2.

33. TomNickle says:

Over.  And I’ll do you one better.  Over 70.

Not just because of his hot start.  But because he knows how to score from anywhere, not just that onetimer.

34. Ayan_SB says:

After being fired by the Bolts 2 years ago:

“Steven is not ready for the NHL,” Melrose stated on the Fan 590.
    “Steven is going to be a good player…right now he’s just not strong
    enough physically to play against defencemen who are 6’3″ or 6’4″ that
    can skate as good as him.”

Oh Barry Melrose LOL.

35. Bryan says:

31 12 4 18 23 41 20

Bonus: 16

You heard it here first

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Update, make that 15 goals for Gallagher indeed, you can see the future… Quick! What are the Lotto Super 7 numbers???

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t mean t! But the way he’s rolling who knows whan his goals are going to stop? You may have just been forseeing the future :)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. Bryan says:

Well now you just made me look foolish.

I forgot CHL stats pages update in real time.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

14th in 14GP actually but hey, he’ll probably have one next game as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Bryan says:

Surprise, surprise.  Brendan Gallagher has his 15th goal in 15 games after two period in tonight’s game.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

41. Bugs says:

Tell it to Letterman; I’ve been tryin to get on his show for years!

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Ovechkin so far has demonstrated the resilience of Messier in his career. Only missed 14 games in his first 5 NHL seasons (and 4 of those games were suspensions) , I know everyone says that style will get him into trouble but right now his frame is like granite.

I like Ovie’s exuberant style when he scores, I think guys like Toews are class acts but this league with it’s bland interviews with most of the stars because they’re coached to give party lines… stars have so little to say it’s nice to see some colour in some of the characters.  It’s a bit weird when the most amusing NHL player is a journeyman enforcer and what he writes on his Twitter.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Bugs says:

Uhhh…

Just makin sure y’all were payin attention is all.

44. Xtrahabsfan says:

And the Academy Award for best written impersonation goes too Bugs…..:)

45. HFX-HabFan says:

Independence Day.

“Independance” sounds like some two-step for old folks.

46. Bugs says:

Just because he did some bad movies doesn’t make’m a bad actor.

Randy Quaid ROCKED in Independance Day. “Hello, boys! I’m baaaack!”

Fugeddabowdit.

Oh, and he was excellent in The Ice Harvest too.

47. Ayan_SB says:

Bad American actor? I’m guessing you haven’t seen the movie “Real Time” with Randy Quaid as a hitman and Montreal’s own Jay Baruchel with a gambling problem, set in Hamilton, ON? Wonderful little film, Quaid’s acting was fantastic, including a very impressive Aussie accent.

True that.  But my family still gets a kick out of watching Randy in Christmas Vacation every holiday season.  It’s stupid, but it sure beats visiting my sister-in-law:-)

49. TomNickle says:

I’ll take Stamkos for his longevity and the humility he displays that Ovechkin does not.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d still take Ovie for goal scoring, I think he’s got the widest toolbox in the league for making them happen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. TomNickle says:

Me too.  Nice night cap that was…..cheers.

I’m going to call it a night but throwing all these names around just proves that we really need Price and Subban to become homeruns.  Not to mention re-signing Markov (not that I’m putting them in that elite class which would be unfair).

I think all three will happen.

53. Xtrahabsfan says:

What is it with BAD American actors that want to live in Canada…the Randy Quaids and Billy Baldwins,just get out! Now George Clooney,Brad Pit and Angelina …come on in;)

54. TomNickle says:

And at the time he wasn’t.

Stamkos’ emergence has come from a dedication to conditioning and building strength.

He’d be the first one to tell you that.

55. TomNickle says:

Hey I don’t disagree that he’s the best goal scorer in the NHL right now.

But I think Keith is the best overall player in the game.

If any of Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin or Stamkos get matched up on him.  I’m picking him to come out on top offensively and defensively.

56. Mattyleg says:

Hoping to hit the Habs game at the Summit on Friday!

Looking forward to it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Tom – I hear you on Keith (dream season by a guy who has taken it to the next level) but moving forward  down the road my top guys are/will be Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos and Doughty.  They should dominate for years to come.

Stamkos is a local kid from York Region who is loved by everyone in the Markham/Unionville/Stouffville area.  He’s the real deal in every respect.

58. J Haul says:

Stu, don’t let the sticklers get to you. You’re always a good read…

Kadri articles excluded of course. :P

59. Bugs says:

Don’t be snippy, Stu; he’s right. Spell correctly, or you become just like joe and shmoe around here who give us your for you’re and you’re for your.

(I’d’ve been more indulgent in your regard if it wasn’t for that leaf-lovin article you posted awhile back.)

60. Mattyleg says:

I don’t know, is it really rude to correct people’s grammar?

I don’t think people do it enough. How you put yourself across has a great bearing on what you’re saying. Whether that should or should not be the case is irrelevant, but it is the case.

Also, this site is dedicated to pointing out the foibles of sportsmen, who are supposed to be the best at what they do –why not point out foibles of someone else doing the same thing? What makes one right and one wrong?

A typo’s a typo, but I’m talking in general. I’m just…I’m just talking…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. fbkj says:

sure point out typos, you dont have to be dicky about it is all (not you)

62. RJB says:

You’re right, it does sound childish. Get off your high horse man, I’m sure you have made mistakes before in your life.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

63. light_n_tasty says:

*schmoe, *lovin’

64. Bugs says:

Sorry, LT; that’s a fail, I’m afraid.

“Shmoe” is perfectly acceptable as well, and “lovin” is a contraction of the word that loses nothing in its linguistical application. Therefore, not spelling errors. “It’s” however, does not mean “its”, nor does “its” mean “it’s”. That’s first of all.

Second of all, I’m not a professional journalist, and have no reason to justify my printed word to the masses.

Other than that, you know I still love ya.

65. light_n_tasty says:

I’ll give you shmoe, if you want.

But I won’t budge on “lovin'”.  It’s a contraction and requires an apostrophe.  Just like “it’s”.

You’re right though.  A professional writer, or his editor, needs to make sure he’s got his t’s crossed and his its’ apostrophized (or not, as the case may be).  But so does the s(c)hmoe who chastises the mistake.

66. Bugs says:

Oh, ok, I see the confusion now. I DIDN’T chastise Stu for the mistake, LT; I chastised him for getting snippy with buddy who had every write to make such a remark towards a professional writer as well as the reasons why.

I don’t care about grammar. If I understand it, it’s linguistically perfect. I might bring it up when some goofball says somethin like “Your an idiot, Bugs!” because then, said goofball is fair game. But that’s a different context for bringin it up, I’m sure you agree.

Don’t care about grammar (as my own writing testifies); what I care about is SENSE.

Cuz we all make those mistakes; did so myself when I put an “a” in “independAnce” up top. Total spelling mistake.

But you knew what I meant. As we all knew what Stu meant.

It’s the “glad you’re perfect” comment that made me jump in.

67. notbigbird says:

I’m sure he knows the difference. We all make slip-ups, even when we know better.

68. Clay4bc says:

I think your articles are great, Stu – more in-depth than most here, and well written. I guess it’s just a tough sell here when you write about another team, as you sometimes do…very loyal bunch here. I think if your article was about the Habs, it would have taken twilight a their/they’re/there mistake as well as an it’s/its one to stop reading :p

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

69. light_n_tasty says:

Yes.  I see where your comin from now.

70. Bugs says:

That’s why you my boy, LT.

Can give as good as can take, never shy to jab, yet adheres to the Laws of Rhetoric.

Aces in my book, mate.

71. Stu Hackel says:

Sorry I’m not pefect. Glad you are.

72. J Haul says:

…and even the most brilliant mind can make the odd typo or grammatical error. Lighten up.

73. fbkj says:

one instance and its enough for you to be rude?

74. Mothstoflame says:

cars go vroom

75. sholi2000.com says:

I know what I did was sacrilege, however I loved the 2009 All Star colors and made a Canadiens third jersey.

I would love to see something like this for sale.

What do you think? Thumbs Up or Down?  You can’t hurt my feelings :)

2011-12 Canadiens Third Jersey

They Call Me Shane

76. HFX-HabFan says:

Not bad, a bit too busy for my liking though.

I like the white vintage jersey from the ’40s that we used a few times in the mid-2000s.

77. Bugs says:

Ridiculous and insulting.

Our THIRD color must be blue. Nothing ELSE but blue.

Bleu-blanc-rouge, remember?

Our third jersey must be blue and that’s all there is to it.

78. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s alright but still kinda reads “All-Star” more than Habs to me.

I always liked the 15-16 CA Jersey for a permanent alternate, not just because I happen to own one either…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

79. J Haul says:

I think if you’re going to use the ASG design you have to get rid of the traditional stripes under the crest. I know traditionalists won’t like it, but IT’S (don’t want to upset anyone around here) fun to play around with I suppose.

80. Bugs says:

Admire your photoshopping skils, but I’m gonna go ahead and say “Blechh!”.

81. HFX-HabFan says:

I’ll break up this Friday night grammar class with this:

An Ottawa Senators team comprised of current NHLers who all made their debut with Ottawa.  Consider:

Laich-Spezza-Alfredsson

Havlat-Vermette-Hossa

Foligno-Fisher-Neil

Z Smith-Kelly-Winchester

Meszaros-Salo

Phillips-Karlsson

Volchenkov-Lee

Elliott

Brodeur (Mike)

All available for the princely sum of $59.51 million, or just $110,000 over the current salary cap.

Not a bad team up front, decent on D, and below average in net.  Probably better than the current squad they have.

82. Keith says:

That’s my personal favorite. I like the deeper red.

83. fbkj says:

this jersey actually makes a case for a permanent switch to its so effing gorgeous

84. fbkj says:

ummmm no

thats insulting to the franchise

blue habs jersey? yeah the retro one reminds me enough of the leafs/nords to make me irrate

red

white

those are the base colours of our jerseys

the only acceptable third one would be the vintage CA

thats it

85. fbkj says:

just no

leave it as is with the red as home white as away, a third doesnt need to be drastic… the blue in the bleu blanc rouge has always been the accent colour and it does its job so accordingly

i understand metaphorically (blue would represent the cheap seats, metaphorically, blue collar, etc) but from a branding standpoint it would fail compared to the existing, successfull look

which is where the CA comes in… same blue as current but with a more blood red… it just works

86. Bugs says:

Then let us STAY with “the existing, successfull look” and I’m cool with that too. No need for a 3rd with all the vintage jerseys we already have. I will also admit that in no circumstances must a relation or comparison be made with the leafer jersey.

Just sayin: we got the Blanc and the Rouge; just missin the Bleu. (I don’t count the Saku blue with the thin white C on it).

Just Blanc and Rouge? That’s fine. Use of the vintages? That’s a fine. But a NEW 3rd jersey? It has to be blue.

Has to be. Independently of how other colors “work”.

But being the sort who avoids controversy; I will gladly side with the majority’s opinion on the matter to just leave things as they are. Cuz we’re friggin beautiful no matter what.

87. fbkj says:

also a blue jersey would have to adhere to our current blue, which btw is the same pantone blue (at least in print) that is used by the leafs, so your proposal is either modifying the blue of our logo which is untouchable, or having two different colour blues which designwise is amateur hour…

88. fbkj says:

i thought about it some more and replied why it wouldnt work, based on your ideas

the blue we use is the same blue as leafs blue

so you are suggesting we now modify our uniform (edited i wrote logo here my bad) or use two different blues

which are both out of the question

i realize the CA one uses a different red in the logo, but thats an entirely different logo

your talking about rebranding the habs here

89. Bugs says:

Yeah, it is the same blue, agree, but no other color at all is what I’m getting at. Complete Azurri, top to bottom.

Logo as is. Contours would match the jersey color, so that white becomes the new contour by default. Blue contour for the “H” in the middle as is. No trim on shirt or socks. No horizontal breast lines. Total blue, helmet to skate.

No rebranding; just a bold 3rd jersey you can really sink your teeth into which would complete our namesake like gangbusters. Would the shock be too much? Perhaps it would, but THAT would be THE 3rd jersey for the Montreal Canadiens because there’s no sense in reworking our beautiful Blanc and Rouge, imo, since they work just fine.

That’s why I say IF a 3rd jersey should be considered, it MUST be blue.

90. Bugs says:

Agree the CA jersey is quite beautiful.

But CA-Blanc-Rouge?

I dunno; doesn’t have the same ring…

We went over this blue jersey thing last year. I’m talking MAN blue. Nords were SKY blue and the leafers are WHITE’n’blue. I mean TOTAL blue. Helmet to skate-laces. Like the Azzuri. Bleu-Blanc-Rouge; what can you do?

91. Storm Man says:

Bugsyboy I see you’re at it again. I understand you need to recalibate the frequencies in that head. It is funny to see you say the jersey should be blue and nothing else. The simplistic, condescending, regurgitated nonsense that comes out of you makes you a hated poster on the hockey news site, Guess you want to be the same here. I would love to keep trading barbs with you all night, But I have a life. I suggest getting one. They’re quite exhilarating.

92. db says:

no expos blue? :p  (or is that penguins… thrashers blue)

93. fbkj says:

i cant shake the thrashers blue jersey with that description lol

NHL awards from five year post-lockout era.  Sad to say, there isn’t a Hab in sight.

95. J Haul says:

I’ve kind of modified your design to demonstrate what I was getting at:

Habs third jersey modified

96. fbkj says:

pleassse stooop

97. J Haul says:

I’m not saying I’m “for” a flashy new design, just examining options for the design posted. It looked too “busy” with the extra stripes imo. Try and look at it from a design standpoint and not a “omg, we’re ruining the Habs tradition” standpoint.

Personally, I’d say the only options for a third jersey would be the white jersey/blue stripe 1945’s or the 1915 CA’s. Both very classy.

98. fbkj says:

CA’s yes yes

99. sholi2000.com says:

I like It.

They Call Me Shane

100. TomNickle says:

For anyone interested.  Those of you who have HDNET with your satelitte or cable provider.  Danny Kristo and his North Dakota team are taking on Maine.

Currently trailing 4-1 in the 1st period.

edit:  Not on HDNET.  But rather on CBS Sports HD.

101. Clay4bc says:

The NYT procures a plethora of professional proofreaders.

Try saying that fast 10 times.

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

102. twilighthours says:

Exactly!

103. twilighthours says:

Professional writers should really know when to use “it’s” and when to use “its.”

104. joeybarrie says:

(((As far as I know it is NEVER its… ALWAYS short for ‘it is’. Therefore IT’S. I was poor at English so I am probably wrong.)))  I looked it up. I AM WRONG… TOLD YOU I WAS POOR AT ‘ENGILSH’….  its possesive form of it… Im going to shut up now.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

105. LA Loyalist says:

its it’s t’its

not an easy thing when Canadian isn’t your first language.

106. Say Ash says:

I know native English speakers that use: its’

Personally, I get confused when to use pseudo, meta and quasi. Also the word remarkable is pretty useless. OK, I’m done for now.

107. Bill says:

From the New York Times no less.

Full Breezer 4 Life

108. twilighthours says:

To clarify:

Stu wrote, “…club that had yet to find it’s (boring) rhythm, the Sens…”

Honestly, I stopped reading when I got to that “it’s.”  That probably sounds childish or elitist, but I really don’t care.  People who are paid to write should know how to do it.

109. fbkj says:

no its is a word

for instance

it’s scared of its shadow

edit: lol at your edit, nvmnd :P

110. Danno says:

Correct.

it’s = contraction for it is. (It’s going to be a long season)

its = possessive pronoun. (A dog smells its own fart first)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

111. Willy the bum says:

Kovalev still miss us.  Sad.

112. mbplekfan says:

Hard to trade for defencemen that can actually play when you have little to offer. I would trade Spacek for a draft pick but its not like we are deep on defence.