Season’s greetings from the Canadiens

Updated with high-resolution card

All they want for Christmas is a win at home, a win at home, a win at home…

And after tonight’s 4-1 defeat of the Flyers in Philadelphia, it’s back home to face the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night.

From Canadiens collector extraordinaire Erle Schneidman, here are five team Christmas cards spanning five decades. Click here to download this year’s card in high-resolution format for use as computer desktop wallpaper.

From top: this year’s 2007-08 card, then 1997-98, 1987-88, 1977-78, 1967-68.

1. Chuck says:

Is there any partuicular reason that Koivu has #88 on his stick?

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

2. Naila Jinnah says:

Upon closer examination…

“Smoke”, I get… But “Le Dandy”?

And “Hamlik” isn’t that much shorter than “Hamrlik”… It just sounds dirtier :O

3. P St. Pierre says:

I don’t think Pleks had a chance to alter his stick before this picture was taken, because that stick is as long as Komisarek’s and there is no tape on the end. Komisarek is 6’4″ and Pleks is only 5’10″. I realize that defensemen generally like longer sticks but I’d be very surprised if Plekanec’s stick is that long considering how good he is with the puck.

Dave, thanks for the post. I don’t know why, but cheering for the Canadiens is almost a lifestyle. I’m so wrapped up in them that I’m analyzing their Christmas card.

4. habitual says:

TSN’s Bob McKenzie dismissed it as not making much sense.

5. P St. Pierre says:

So that’s his problem…

6. Dave Stubbs says:

We’re looking into this photo issue. Hope to have an answer soon.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

7. craz11 says:

I love how Dandaneault’s stick says LE DANDY

8. craz11 says:

It’s actually part of the stock graphics CCM uses on their sticks. Gives chumps like you and me the option of colouring in the 88 to make it into whatever number we wear. I guess the Habs trainers can’t be bothered to do it, or they left their markers at home! ;-)

9. Dru says:

Hi,

There’s a bug in the new version of Internet Explorer that causes this. We’ll fix it as soon as we find a workaround. In the meantime, I recommend using Firefox for bug-free browsing.

10. Chimpanjesus says:

Does anyone have a take on the latest Habs-Sharks rumours- Marleau/Bernier for Koivu/Ryder + Prospect? It sounds interesting. As much as I love Koivu, I think there is definetley a rift between him and Carbo which is dragging him down.

11. Barts says:

Esposito gets sent home from the WJ camp for the third consecutive year. I’m glad we didn’t pick him.

12. the_larry says:

Id like to get myself on that christmas card list. Im barely on my families list so it’d be nice to get one from the Habs

13. joe-hab-nuno says:

usually stick handlers prefer shorter sticks. But i wasn’t expecting it to be that much shorter then Koivu’s since Koivi is a pretty good stick handler.

14. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

interesting, the best puck handler on the team has the shortest stick for a forward.

———
    until the problem in my picture is solved…we will not be Champions.

15. joe-hab-nuno says:

Look at much shorter Kovelevs stick is to Koivu’s

16. MatttheHabsFan says:

Not sure if this was on anyone’s Christmas list…but just read on TSN that PK made the World Juniors as the team’s seventh defenseman….good job PK!

17. DYCSoccer17 says:

The size of the knob on Hamrlik’s (aka Hamlik) is massive. It looks like a goalie’s stick. I wonder if that is a typo or a nickname?

Grabovski’s stick is the only nameless one.

Surprised at how long Saku and Plekanec’s sticks are. Perhaps it’s an advantage in the faceoff circle?

It never ceases to amaze me how much tape these guys put on their sticks. They get these ultra flimsy lightweight sticks that break every time they try to make a pass, but then they load the tape onto it, which makes it as heavy as a stronger wooden stick. Look at Lats’ stick, for crying out loud!

18. Sports1131 says:

Haha, LE DANDY #25

19. idle says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if the numbers on their sticks stood for how many goals they currently have.

20. Chuck says:

Le Dandy jumped right out at me, too. Hilarious!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

21. B says:

I like the photo of the sticks. I would find it interesting to read what type and style of sticks the players use along with comments on why they have made those choices. I also noticed that some have no “knobs” on the top. Do they wax the tape? Do some cut off the tape of the bottom of the blades? Etc. Perhaps others might find an article on this kind of stuff interesting too? Just a thought.

22. Moey says:

Yaawwnnnn…..no it would be much more interesting for them to use the sticks to score a few goals for a change.

23. Oprah says:

Awww… look at that cute lil’ Bouillon stick!

24. Dana says:

I don’t know about other connections but we got one today because we are season ticket holders. It’s actually a pretty neat card.. high quality and fold out.. the Habs logo pops out in the middle when you open it.

25. RGM says:

How does one get on such a Christmas list? Do you have to be a season ticket holder or have some other connection to the organization?

26. Matt. says:

Looks like Gorgeous Gorges and S. Kostitsyn.

27. teamplayer says:

why is it we are making a point to showing who is on this years team, compared to back when we had really dominating teams in the 60′s and 70′s?
    I do enjoy this pick, I think they shoulda had more stuff like this back then.
    Trivia: from the current lineup of players we have up and players on the ir, whose stick is missing?

28. B says:

Georges stick (#26) is the last one on the right. The 4th stick from the left (#54) is Grabovski’s so the picture was taken before S.Kostitsyn, O’Byrne or Lapierre were called up.

29. Matt. says:

Ah, good eye. Touche.

30. P St. Pierre says:

I also don’t see Halak’s stick on there.

31. Angry Almond says:

Dave,

Thanks for posting this. My son and I think that it’s perfect. It’s nice to focus on something great about the Habs from an organization point of view for a change. Think of all the great things about this franchise for the past 100 years…and all we do is b*tch and moan about a few losses here and there on what is really a team that’s still a few pieces away from a strong contender.

Happy Holidays!

AA

Music is the best. FZ

32. Naila Jinnah says:

Very cool!!

33. Angry Almond says:

Does anyone know if there’s a high res of the 2007-2008 card anywhere? That would make the coolest background for my laptop…

34. Dave Stubbs says:

I’m on the Canadiens’ Christmas card list (or have been…), so if a card arrives in the next few days, I’ll scan it high-res and post it on the site.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

35. Mr.Hazard says:

Pretty nifty. I’m hungry, time for some breakfast yum.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

Season’s greetings from the Canadiens

All they want for Christmas is a win at home, a win at home, a win at home…

Canadiens collector extraordinaire Erle Schneidman at canadiensmemorabilia.com shares five Canadiens Christmas cards spanning five decades:

From top: this year’s 2007-08 card, then 1998-98, 1987-88, 1977-78 and 1967-68: