Schedule announced today

We know the Canadiens begin the season in Toronto on Oct. 7.

We know they open at home on the 13th against Tampa Bay.

And at about midday – just as France has finished fighting for its World Cup life – the NHL will announce its complete 2010-’11 schedule.

Check Habs Inside/Out for coverage.

To enlighten you while you’re waiting, Arpon Basu has a great analysis of what whould be a busy week for Pierre Gauthier and  Robert L discovered a monumental draft study.

• Valium for Don Cherry. STAT. Brent Sopel, his wife and kids will bring the Stanley Cup to Chicago’s Gay Pride parade. Bravo Hawks!

• Pain-in-the-butt Matt Cooke re-signs for three years.

1. ed lopaz says:

what on this site is “definite”?

2. Clay4bc says:

Um…we were shut out three times…just sayin. Make of it what you will.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

3. joeybarrie says:

Can you explain why or are you simply going to state dumb ideas???

How about this one, CAREY PRICE IS THE BEST GOALIE EVER…

Nope thats it. Its much easier for me to just say it. It doesnt have to be true of even make sense… I can just say it and be included in the conversation.

Sounds alot like Eklund to me….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. twocents says:

Xtrahabsfan and HardHabits say it a page back.

Whether you saw him play or not, the record of Penny’s ’84 year is there for you to see. Trust me he was impressive. He lost his job two years later after being injured to a younger, better Patrick Roy and never bounced back. I am not saying Halak will suffer the same fate. In fact I am sure he won’t.

But some ARE calling Halak a superstar, whether you’ve seen them write it or not. And that is premature, as you seem to agree.

Oh, and being highly regarded by GM’s is not the same as being a superstar. Hasek was superstar in nets, Roy was, Brodeur is/was.

5. G-Man says:

The moment posters here stop bemoaning every past draft pick I will move on. :)

6. joeybarrie says:

Well i am afraid to say people keep topping stupidity… How does it feel to be in 2nd place???  By the way, dont feel as if you cant regain your number one position… I strongly suspect your almost there…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

7. Clay4bc says:

Well, why didn’t they just say so? I’m sold now…

__________________________

8. ed lopaz says:

look at it for a moment. if you want space in the cap, you trade AK for a draft pick – that’s 3 million.

unless you think we should keep AK at the expense of trading Halak?

if they had a 3 million dollar cap problem, all they had to do was unload the trash – AK out the door for a 4th round pick.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

I just don’t see it being such a definite, in that case the Habs could’ve kept Halak at what he wanted, plus had Price back him up for 20-25 games as the team tries to build him up again, that way Halak gets a nice 55-60 game workload so he still has something for the post-season.

If the cap didn’t exist, a lot of goalies wouldn’t be turning in 70+ seasons I think, they’d have qualified backups to take some weight off the main guy’s back.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. G-Man says:

Kovalev never gave the effort Halak did in the playoffs.
    Tough moves that aren’t liked by the fan base are acceptable when they are not counter to the team’s on-ice success.

Just because Stan Bowman says Byfuglien is on the trading block means nothing. Everyone on any roster can be had for the right price, but I don’t think he’s going to move those players directly responsible for the Cup victory, like Toews, Kane, Byfuglien.
    That Campbell and Huet are on the block makes sense.

11. GrimJim says:

And I think Gainey actually got TIMO banned, using some form of mind-control to make Boone pull the trigger

12. ed lopaz says:

I am speculating as we all do.

When you “speculate” that we need more offence, are you “reading Gauthier’s mind”?

I am suggesting that in the absence of a Cap, Halak would have ben treated exactly the same way.

13. TripleX says:

DAMN YOU ED!  I WANTED THIS COVETED AWARD!   LMAO

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

14. B says:

from 2/1/09 to 2/1/11, has a list of six (6) teams in both the Eastern and Western Conference that he will accept a trade to; after 2/1/11, does not hold a NTC

15. TripleX says:

Wow dude you are pretty liberal with your handing out of awards.  I had that distinction only last night.

Easy come, easy go.  LOL

16. ed lopaz says:

Thanks!! Thats an accomplishment, is it not?

No CAP, Halak still would have been traded.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

When did mind-reading become one of your superpowers?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. joeybarrie says:

Your first problem with this World Cup is your following France… The Coach sucks, the players are crazy, and the selection process is a shame… This is a team that wins the Cup, and Euro and then doesnt score a SINGLE goal in the next big tourney… Then they make the finals, and don’t even start their best players.

If you want an example of an AWFUL coach look at Domanech… Quite STYLISH, but crappy…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Bugs says:

Yeah, but you guys in Toronto have NO ONE inferior to compare yourselves to, sooo…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

20. ed lopaz says:

if there was NO CAP, Halak still would have been traded.

21. Bugs says:

Ha!

Nice.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

22. TripleX says:

Leighten and Thomas were both career minor leaguers who finally got to the NHL late in their careers.  I have no idea about Penny as I never saw him play.  Cam Ward is a superstar in that he is a very highly regarded player by most GM’s.  Carolina would be no where without his talents and especially next season when they will be at the cap bottom of 43 million.

Halak has excelled at EVERY level he has played at and is 25 years old.  I have not seen anyone say Halak is a superstar right now, although he had a run for the ages in the playoffs.  We are saying he is presently a very good goalie with no reason to suspect he has reached his ceiling.

23. punkster says:

I understand he can also be clearly identified in the Zapruder film.

FREE TIMO!

24. pic1983 says:

Honestly, theres so much evidence pointing in that direction, but once again, people just like to believe whatever it is they hear in the news or see on TV. Even though bob has been at every game since he stepped down, and his “fallen star” was once again retained at the expense of the best goalie in the NHL over the second half of last season and the playoffs.  Most people on this message board call people that think this way “conspiracy theorists” even though theres no conspiracy, It’s just a PR move.

When Gauthier was answering questions about the halak deal, he didnt seem so confident in his answers.  He didnt seem like a man who made that decision himself, but thats just my opinion.

25. punkster says:

Ed, Cap issues come into play on each and every deal made in the league to a greater or lesser degree depending upon the circumstances. Nobody but Habs management knows to what degree it affected this trade; 2%, 20%, 80%, whatever. Anyone outside that tight circle who claims to know the exact degree is either simply offering their opinion or they have received confidential info from the management participants in the decision.

Honestly, this entire Halak trade topic is fast becoming as tiring as the lengthy weeping over Kovalev’s loss last summer. And Kovalev had the credentials to go with the hype. When will it all end?

FREE TIMO!

26. joeybarrie says:

Yeah really.. I mean we have only made the Conf Final, Won the eastern Conference and made the playoffs 5 out of 6 season… Coming from a team that made the playoffs 1 out of 5 seasons…

Really Gainey has really really sucked.

Honestly how stupid can people be???? Gainey has been a very good GM, and left this team in much much much much better shape than he found it…

THANK GOD GAINEY IS A SENIOR ADVISOR………..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. SeriousFan09 says:

See guys? Halak was eating up the cap space we needed to sign Matt Darche.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. puck face says:

AGREED. i think of all the players we could realistically get  , Byfuglien is the one i want the most. if Pleks goes do you go for another center or grab Byfuglien and hope Ellar can do the job one the second line? a little risky but worth taking a chance i think.

29. Bugs says:

Must agree. (just saw the replay)

Do believe it’s his first pass as well…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

30. RGM says:

1 – the same account I’ve had since this site started. I have no idea who the other two people that you refer to are – I’m sure they’re wonderful people but I don’t know who they are and I’m not them. It’s bad enough you’re not making any hockey sense, do you really have to start wildly flailing about with absolutely baseless accusations? Seriously, how can consider yourself a fan of this team when it’s 3 months before the season starts and you’re already saying that they’re going to be competing for a lottery draft pick? If you don’t like a decision that it’s in the past, fine, but like I said even France puts up a fight once the actual campaign begins. You’re simply rolling over and playing dead 3 months before training camp.

—– “Come on, let’s keep a little optimism here.” — Han Solo, Return of the Jedi

31. B says:

Can you name any ranked draft prospects who are over 6’2″ and over 220 lbs? Is there even one?

32. TripleX says:

I guess even management disagrees with you on this one.  If Halak was much of the blame why not start Price?

That is usually what happens when one goalie is costing the team wins, the backup is put in.

So either the coach and management did not feel Halak was losing games OR they felt Price was not an upgrade.  One or the other dude.

33. mike g says:

According to the general opinion on this site, it’s illegal to put even an ounce of blame on Halak for us being totally blown away in the ECF….

The blame must be 100% put on the players, because they didn’t play solid defense or provide the necessary offence. However in the 1st 2 rounds, when they didn’t play solid defense but we still won, it was because of Halak. And when we only scored 2 goals and still won, it was because of Halak. A loss however, can never be blamed on Halak….

If you ask me, that theory is garbage. Maybe people can look at it and realize how most fans in MTL are. They chose 1 player, and defend them ’till death no matter what happens. It’s too hard for them to admit that in the ECF, the whole team ( ALL players, and the goaltender) got hammered by a much better overall squad…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

34. likehoy says:

it was the first decent attack ribery'[s contributed in all tournament

35. Bryan says:

WE SIGNED DARCHE TO A 1 YEAR DEAL.

Finally something else to talk about!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

36. Bugs says:

Ouch…

Why you gotta be mean like that? All I ever do is love.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

37. wotever says:

So… because 3 of 4 people say one thing no one is allowed to dissent?  That to me is WHEN someone should dissent.

(also, seriously, Huet?  He has a worse record than Price.)

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

38. Storm Man says:

Thanks Bugs Im a very understanding guy :)

39. pic1983 says:

To me, that “study” was more of a study of how futile we are in drafting.  I dont think we should be proud that such a high percentage of our draft picks played an nhl game.  If you watch the habs consistently, than that statistic points out 2 things: 1) That we are so desperate for talent that we force players into the line-up before theyre ready, and 2) Our draft picks are clearly useless because they play a few games and are never heard from again.

Sk, Maxpac, Dags, Maxwell, weber…

I still maintain that we have Development issues, not drafting issues.

40. forskis says:

This is in response to one of your other posts below…I have no problem with the fact that you do not like Gainey nor his tenure nor the moves he made…that is fair enough…but do you really dislike him to the point where you believe in the conspiracy theory that the Halak trade and whatnot was all Gainey and not PG who is the ACTUAL GM?  Have you and others ever even considered the following:

The move was made by PG and that Gainey had nothing to do with it.  It is mind-blowing for you guys not being able to blame Gainey for everything, I know.  But Gainey isn’t to blame for every move…unless that guaranteed signed Koivu contract is now in PG’s desk.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

41. likehoy says:

i never said it was easy making it to the ECF, or commenting on the difference in dealing with the situation of the players…i’m talking about seeing your fan favourite go.

the man’s gone, if you’re having trouble accepting it, you gotta work on the attachment issues. fan favourites are moved every year and it’s just too gosh darn bad.

grow up. it’s done. look to the future and stop living in the past.

42. HabFanSince72 says:

Until I read “6’2, 220lbs” I thought you were referring to Les Bleus.

43. twocents says:

Extra and HH,

Your standards for super-stardom are suspect. You can speculatively say Halak will be a superstar one day, if you want to.

But to say he is right now is like saying Steve Penny was a superstar, or that Micheal Leighten is one now.  Heck Tim Thomas won the Vezina last year and had better playoffs stats than Halak did this year. Is he a superstar? Or how about Cam Ward. He won the Cup and was brilliant doing so. Is he a superstar?

44. joeybarrie says:

ABSOLUTELY THE DUMBEST POST I HAVE HEARD ALL WEEK….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. joeybarrie says:

WOW, so basically its really really tough to get to the Conf Finals… But its easily accomplished with luck???

Whats is sad is how some people say the Habs are lucky when it suits their argument, but then really really tough when they need another side…

Make sure you understand this. You CANNOT say that we were lucky, then come back and say its very difficult and MAGICAL to have made it to the Conf Finals…

But if you have ONE particular goalie, any old team of smurfs can do anything, right???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Is there a salary cap? Than every player move to some degree has something to do with the cap. Halak wasn’t considered to be worth having 4-5 million if their issue is rebalancing the offence up front.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. Bugs says:

Yaaay!

During the loss of the satellite feed, France scored their only goal.

What a great World Cup this has been for me…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

48. SeriousFan09 says:

double

49. pic1983 says:

If it wasnt about the cap, what was it about?

50. mike g says:

Your comments about how tough it is to get to the final 4 are spot on….

But your analysis of Byfuglien isn’t. For the first time in my life, I saw Chris Pronger get smashed into the boards and fall. You can see it as only being 1 hit, but it was way more than that. Dustin managed to neutralize Pronger more than anyone else has been able to in Prongers career.

Prongs can drink 6 bottles of scotch and get hit by a Ford F-350, and he still might not fall. Like him or not, he’s such a factor in games it’s crazy. For Dustin to neutralize him as much as he did speaks volumes. Taking Pronger out of the game means alot more space for small guys like Kane, Toews, Sharp, Versteeg etc…

Buff on our team would make such a posistive influence in the way Cammy and Gio would be covered.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

51. SeriousFan09 says:

If you weigh over 220 on draft day, you’ve got a weight problem I should point out, these are 18-year olds still growing into their bodies, Tyler Myers at 6’8″ is barely over 220 these days and he was drafted in 2008.

And favouring height over skill is perhaps why we’ve got Mr. Hockey from 2006 and PHI has Claude Giroux.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Storm Man says:

Maybe it was his play in the ECF.

53. forskis says:

I agree that Halak deserves much of the credit but explain this:

When the Habs were losing to the Flyers, the Halak-pushers were blaming the players for not scoring but not on Halak for having a sub-0.900 save percentage in that series….however, for the first two rounds it was all about Halak (which I agree for the most part) but no credit to the rest of the team for blocking shots and scoring goals?  So when Halak loses it is the rest of the team’s fault but when he wins it is all due to him?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

54. Bugs says:

Can’t score, can’t pass, no vision, no heart, no grit, but hey, 6’2, 220lbs and we’re all set, yeah?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

55. PeterStone says:

we do well, just not in round 1 … in the slots 6 – 20 we just suck … we should never ever draft from there, we should always move up or move down.  The Flyers are an example of a team that drafts well in those spots … Ducks do a nice job … this is off the top of my head.

Dont get me wrong, we do good in Rounds 2 and later .. Round 1 .. disaster.

I thought Latendresse was a nice pick up .. he turned out to have a massive ego, but, he had the skill set.

56. Clay4bc says:

Clear your cache…

__________________________

57. wotever says:

I’m with the “take your meds” crowd.  It’s like some kind of rabies but where you repeat yourself over and over, willfully? ignorant of any facts.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

58. joeybarrie says:

Actually, Habs have 18 players who have played more than 50 games in the NHL, tied with Pens and Hawks. NJ has 10, SJ has 13, Caps have 15 and Det has 16… In the last 10 years…

The reason why people think your a Maple Leaf, is your posts are about as dumb a the average Toronna fan…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. ed lopaz says:

guys, can you please stop pretending that the Halak deal had anything to do with the cap. Its foolishness. Its BS.

60. Bugs says:

Yeah, but your team in Toronto doesn’t need to calll up any AHLers; they’re all there to begin with.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

Here we go. The real fan argument. Equal to a ad hominem argument. Look it up PrimeTime AKA keepthefaith. How many accounts do you have here anyways?

62. Bugs says:

Ah, that’s what all leafers say.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

63. wotever says:

I’m pretty sure it was just to piss you off.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

64. marlboro says:

I don’t really care who they draft.  Just please, make it a requirement…over 6’2, and over 220.  just for a few years.

65. Bugs says:

Seen them all, Clay.

But uhh…thanks?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

66. Clay4bc says:

Which means that saying we gave him up because of the cap hit was a cop-out.

__________________________

67. TripleX says:

What is sad is how soon some people forget the magical playoff run a scant weeks ago.  What is sad is how some people are so quick to belittle what Halak and this team accomplished.

If you think it is so easy to get to the ECF then you are in for a rude awakening.  Ask the defending Cup champions or the team in Washington if it is so easy to get that far even with incredible talent?

Kovalev?  I loved the guy but he accomplished nothing of significance in Montreal.

Byfuglien?   I would love to have him on the Habs but he is not a series changer.  The Hawks have an overabundance of forwards and are in serious cap trouble.  Toews was the MVP not him.

I fail to see why you are trying to make comparisons to two unrelated events.

By the way, Kovalev was courted by Bob up till the last minute and he was not traded, he voluntarily walked away for nothing.

68. mike g says:

I guess Raymond Bourque was a “loser” for 20 years, until he finally won the Cup in his final year?

And guys like Pat Lafontaine, Pavel Bure, and Marcel Dionne (over 1700 points) are all losers too because they never won the Cup.

According to your logic, Ben Eager who just won the Cup with the Hawks has more of a “legacy” than those listed above.

Take your meds buddy.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. joeybarrie says:

I disagree to some extent with the impact players. I think considering our draft positions in the last 10 years, we have done fairly well. Once you get past the top ten, its really a function of scouting and player development, but mostly LUCK. Give me an example of another team that has consistently drafted big impact players past the top ten or in later rounds…

Montreal:

Plekanec, Streit, Komisarek, PK Subban, Price, Halak, Latendresse (before you yell at me for this one, I have to tell you…any player who at 22-23 scores 27 goals in one season is right there as an impact player).

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

70. Bugs says:

Your perspicacity is truly amazing.

I thought the team was in complete order and would win the World Cup.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

71. mrhabby says:

welll being the centre of the universe thats what ya get…lol.

72. mike g says:

When Halak is negotiating his deal, all he has to say is this:

“Kari Lethonen just signed a 3.9 million dollar deal. That’s right, Kari “I play 15 games per year, then get operated, then play 2 good games followed by 6 bad ones, I’ve never had a winning record and was a 1st overall bust” Lethonen…..”

If Kari makes 3.9, and has done nothing in his career, I think Halak deserves minimum 4.5 mill. And even that’s a joke if you ask me, cuz he’ll only be making 600k more than Lethonen “the joke”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

73. TripleX says:

The usual response from the continually dull, ignorant, flatulent, smug, repetitive and childish corner of HIO.

If you don’t agree without question to everything management does you must immediately cheer for another team.

74. Clay4bc says:

Some amusing French headlines here (from France, NOT Quebec) about France’s team…

I tries to link my fav…but if not, look at number 4.

__________________________

75. Bugs says:

To each his own, I guess.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as