Schedule announced today

We know the Canadiens begin the season in Toronto on Oct. 7.

We know they open at home on the 13th against Tampa Bay.

And at about midday – just as France has finished fighting for its World Cup life – the NHL will announce its complete 2010-’11 schedule.

Check Habs Inside/Out for coverage.

To enlighten you while you’re waiting, Arpon Basu has a great analysis of what whould be a busy week for Pierre Gauthier and  Robert L discovered a monumental draft study.

• Valium for Don Cherry. STAT. Brent Sopel, his wife and kids will bring the Stanley Cup to Chicago’s Gay Pride parade. Bravo Hawks!

• Pain-in-the-butt Matt Cooke re-signs for three years.

1. ed lopaz says:

maybe if the Habs would have played Price against Philly, since he’s the # 1 long term goalie, your point

would be more valid. But even the Habs brass, who had clearly decided that Halak was not their man going

forward,  didn’t put Price in to replace halak against Philly.

WHY?

Why leave Price on the Bench if Halak is losing against Philly?

2. Bozo McBozo says:

This team is just lost without The Breezer and his glorious outlet pass!

3. Clay4bc says:

But Price already had several chances, and failed. Why did he deserve another when we clearly had a better goalie on the team?

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

4. twocents says:

Thanks Dave.

I think I’ll be okay. Mainly because I don’t have a lot of time to linger here today. Let them take their shots.

5. mrhabby says:

quick release, great shot. not overly big at 6ft. excellent skater. habs will have to move up way up to snag him.

6. G-Man says:

Believing that Habs would have made it anywhere this post season without the stellar play of Halak, Gill, Gorges, Pleks,Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Lapierre, Moore, Moen with special mentions to Spacek, Hamrlik and Pyatt is short-sighted. However, blaming only Halak for the ECF loss is just as short-sighted.

The Habs are worse today because of the trade. When they were 2 scorers shy of making another playoff run, the geniuses traded and now the Habs are 3 players away. Trading the goalie that got you there without any “right-now” return is, short of flabbergasting, incredibly stupid. Seeing the “potential” of Price is for Kreskin fans, because he hasn’t been demonstrating it the last 2 seasons.

7. Clay4bc says:

I was never a fan of Lindros…but if you look objectively at his numbers, he deserves to be there.

But what do I know – I think Pete rose belongs in the MLB hall, and we should have kept Halak.

__________________________

8. punkster says:

Eric, while I agree, as a friend I feel it my duty to advise you to GET YOUR ASS IN THE BUNKER IMMEDIATELY…INCOMING!!!

FREE TIMO!

9. TomNickle says:

Can you hate him for spitting beer in a woman’s face or picking a fight with a figure skater.

10. ed lopaz says:

dude – when we were eliminating Washington and Pittsburgh were you complaining that Price was not playing? Because that’s what you should have been doing.

11. B says:

Time does not make everyone change their minds about trades they don’t like. Some people still don’t like the Patrick Roy trade. I am not trying to compare Halak to Roy, just using it as an example of a trade that some people still complain about long after the fact.

Everyone does not have to blindly love every move. It is possible to keep disagreeing with a trade yet still cheer for and support your team. Lastly, one does not have to regret letting Kovalev go in order to dislike the Halak trade.

12. nickster13 says:

I will never stop being a Halakian, i will cheer for him for success in St louis, but i am still a habs fan and will be sad in retrospect to the trade day, it happens to everyone, one of your favourite players gets traded off

13. punkster says:

I don’t know Chris. I think it’s fitting that this argument continues to crop up for the next year and beyond. It dominated so many threads in the past couple of years and generated so many, personal attacks and arguments, so much animosity, that it’s a sort of framework for this site.

Now to more serious items. I’ve been trying to read up on some of the players we may have available for our pick and I keep coming back to McFarland. What do you think of him?

FREE TIMO!

14. Puck Bard says:

Yup, I like Joe, Gilmour, Manon and Cami.

15. Storm Man says:

Not that I care what you think but that pic was friends of mine. BTW the only thing out of season is your thinking about the Habs.

16. Chris says:

Most of the vitriol about Lindros centers around his refusal to play in Sault St. Marie in the OHL and with Quebec in the NHL.

Personally, while I always thought he was a bit of a jerk, I can’t say I blame him and his family for taking a stand. The road trips that the Soo Greyhounds have to go out on is a huge disruption to their lives. It is a great hockey town and has clearly been great at developing players, but most OHL players would rather not be drafted by the Greyhounds due to the crazy road-trips.

Regarding the Quebec thing, name another career where as an 18 year old, your interests are completely irrelevant to where you get to play… Lindros is not a guy that wanted anything to do with Quebec City…while that probably makes him an intolerant redneck, it is also a completely human sentiment. In the end, Quebec did very well out of that trade, so I can’t see why anybody should harbour any ill-will towards Lindros, who was only looking out for what he felt was best for him.

If I had my druthers, the NHL draft would be abolished. You don’t need a draft when you have a salary cap in place…give the kids the freedom to work where they want. The Red Wings and the Rangers could not simply buy all the best talent anymore. So why should we continue to reward poorly managed teams with the best players for 7 years minimum?

17. twocents says:

Eller is good return in this market. What sucks is that the market has a glut of goaltenders about to be available.

Moving Halak did not free up enough cap space to add an experienced NHLer. So I am not sure why some of you keep saying we should have gotten an established player. Any established player we could have afforded would have been just another third or forth liner. That’s not what we need.

Eller has been described as one of the most NHL ready players in the AHL.

He is a centre with some size and solid offensive skills.

You’d think some of you would recognize that combination of words as something that has been repeated here ad nauseam over the past… oh I don’t know… ever since this place became a place.

Anyone out there who thought we were going to get a Jordon Stall, or Datsyuk, or Toews for him are way off the mark. We got something we need and have been trying to get for years. We aren’t in a draft position that would have allowed us to fill that need that way.

Eller is ready to contribute in the short term. It’s a good deal. Not a great deal. A good deal.

Comparing this to the Chelios and Roy deals is… well… not very pertinent, to put it politely. Both were players who had established themselves as among the best in the league at their position over several years. Both had won Stanley Cups and had been big parts of the wins. Both had been decorated with NHL hardware. Both were under contract. Both were scarce commodities at the time: offensive defenceman who plays a nasty physical game, premier money goalie in the league.

Halak just had a very good season, followed by a great playoff run. This was his first year as a starter at this level. The NHL record books are filled wth goalies who have accomplished this and who never became dominant. I am not saying Halak will fade, I am saying what he has accomplished is simply not comparable to what Chellios and Roy had.

18. G-Man says:

How many more years of improving his stats will it take for you to admit Halak isn’t Steve Penney? How many more wins will St. Louis have that the Habs could have had with him in goal? This consensus of “flash in the pan” doesn’t apply. Halak has been improving for years.

19. Keith says:

“No more blah,blah,blah!”

James Kirk

20. SeriousFan09 says:

I wasn’t following the NHL during Lindros’s time so I’m not close to it, I don’t think he belongs in the Hall based on his potential and short-term accomplishments, otherwise we’d have to widen the HOF a lot more and I think a few people have gone in that compared to others, aren’t quite HOFers.

I never had it in for Lindros and I find it hard to because of his concussions, the man had his life essentially destroyed by head trauma, his career shattered and that kind of damage to the head can have lifelong effects on a person. The Flyers medical staff treated him like a disposable diaper as did Bobby Clobber and he nearly died once because of it. I can’t hate a guy who literally had his brain permanently altered by injury, he lost part of himself on the ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. Dee says:

This guy should be in the Hockey Hall of SHAME! Who was the brain that even thought of putting him in the HOF.This guy Lindros thought he could do what ever he wanted.He is an embarrassment to the NHL.Players have been waiting for years to get in HOF Carbo, Rogie Vachon I would rather see Gilmore in and many others.His parents will want to be in the HOF to! Lindros a classless guy, another whiner.

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

22. pic1983 says:

I think the biggest issue with bob is that hes too old school.  He was able to build a winner in the pre-cap era, but hasnt meen able to muster any form of consistency since he took over for habs, well other than being consistently mediocre.

He doesnt covet draft picks, doesnt covet cap space, and re-built the team through free agency rather than the draft.  Basically the three qualities you shouldnt be looking for in a GM in the salary cap NHL.

23. ed lopaz says:

thanks for bringing up the other goalies in the St Louis system.

If I was Gauthier I would have insisted on getting back a young goalie like Jake Allen.

Our system is practically bare of goalie prospects – other than Desjardins.

Last year we signed Sanford, but he’s worth crap,and so we now have to spend about 1.5 million on Martin

Biron or Patrick Lalime to back up “the Franchise”.

Because god forbid we bring up Desjardins, it would take about 1 week for the goaltending controversy to start all over again.

How ironic is that?

Gauthier probably had that on his mind as well when he chose not get back a young goalie in return.

What else will we do to give Price the keys to the city?

We should have played Price during the last month of season and right through the playoffs.

Had he won consistently, no one would be upset that we traded Halak.

Had Price failed to get us into the playoffs, or we were eliminated by Washintgon, we still could have come

back with Price this season – no one expected us to win anything last year.

The Habs blew a golden opportunity to give Price the much needed experience he needed.

Thats the real story behing trading Halak – not losing Halak – but the fact that Price was not given a chance

going down the stretch or a real chance in the Playoffs either (other than 1 game vs Washington).

24. GrimJim says:

I thought Bob courted and Kovalev either tried to hold out hoping BG would up the offer or dithered so long BG signed Gionta and/or Cammer instead. Either way sounds more like Bob was the one doing the walking…

“There’s three sides to every story: yours, mine and the truth”

25. Chris says:

Whle the blah, blah, blah about Price will continue unabated.

In my perfect world, both Price and Halak get dealt this summer so that half the people on this site can find something else to argue like children about.  Just for variety’s sake.

26. ed lopaz says:

Anyone who thinks the Habs could not have gotten under the cap with Halak as the # 1 goalie next year, has no idea what they are talking about.

You like that one?

Am I included in your discussion now?

Am I the stupidest poster on the site?

27. Chris says:

Nice post. I also really disliked Lindros as a player, but I respect that he was the best player in the mid 1990′s. If he doesn’t make the Hall of Fame, it can solely be based on how short his period of dominance was.

Nonetheless, a very good hockey player.

28. G-Man says:

What happened to your lesbos? Out of season?

29. TommyB says:

This blah, blah, blah, blah  about Halak was going on all year long.  Why would they stop now?  And by the way, the same blah, blah, blah, blah, was being muttered by the Huet supporters too.  Funny how they have finally disappeared, and the same will eventually happen with the Halakians.

30. TripleX says:

So you think Buff is valuable based mainly on one great playoff performance since he was nothing special in the regular season.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Halak will never repeat his playoff heroics according to many but Buff will.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

31. RS says:

At the time, I was certainly not a Lindros fan. He appeared to be a spoiled middle-class brat with a meddling family (because, frankly this was the case).

But, the anti-Lindros sentiment has obscured the fact that this guy was, for a brief time, the best player in the league. He was a dominating force. Hey, I despise Ray Bourque and Cam Neely, but I can admit that they were
    great players.

Does anyone really think that John LeClair and Mikael Renberg (!) would have been part of the best line in hockey with anyone other than Eric Lindros? Hab fans in particular seem to think that LeClair just happened to bloom once he left the Habs. Let’s not downplay the fact that he wasn’t playing with anyone even close to Lindros in Montreal.

No he didn’t win a cup. Look at his supporting cast. I won’t list the great players that never won a cup.

Yes, he ran into (literally) concussion problems. That shortened his career and left him playing as a shell of himeself by the end of his career. I think that as a kid and even as a junior he was able to just bull guys over with brute strength. That style of play (and the fact that he never had to worry about keeping his head up) eventually caught up to him. He became a tragic case of a talent that was snuffed out too early, like another big Flyer (yes, I despise the Flyers too, but can recognize gifted players) Tim Kerr. I liked Scott Stevens, but let’s face the fact that he was the guy that perfected the head shot that most sane people are trying to remove from the game. From being a Lindros hater, I’ve come to feel sorry for they guy, but also I’ve become a reluctant defender of his hockey legacy which seems to have become unfairly forgotten. Unfortunately Lindros and his family, rightly or wrongly, stepped on too many toes among the old boys club of the NHL. Bobby Clarke in particular was (surprise, surprise) a jerk.

For an interesting read on Lindros, see this article by musician/writer Dave Bidini:

32. TommyB says:

Agreed, you rarely saw Gilmour take a night off.

33. ed lopaz says:

what on this site is “definite”?

34. Clay4bc says:

Um…we were shut out three times…just sayin. Make of it what you will.

__________________________

35. joeybarrie says:

Can you explain why or are you simply going to state dumb ideas???

How about this one, CAREY PRICE IS THE BEST GOALIE EVER…

Nope thats it. Its much easier for me to just say it. It doesnt have to be true of even make sense… I can just say it and be included in the conversation.

Sounds alot like Eklund to me….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

36. mrhabby says:

lindros will cry to his parents and ask for help.

37. ed lopaz says:

whatever. its done.

The Habs have their man in the nets that they wanted all along.

OOPS!!

then why wasn’t price in the nets last year??

Oh ya, forgot. Its because the team was winning with halak in the nets and price on the bench.

If it was my team, and I was pissed at Halak’s agent (and therefore, as you suggest, at Halak), and I was

dtermined to trade Halak after the season, and Price was “working hard”, and Price was at all of the optional

practices, and I knew Price was going to be my # 1 goalie long term………

I WOULD HAVE PLAYED PRICE TO GIVE HIM THE EXPERIENCE HE NEEDS!!

But its done now. I’;m ready to move on.

38. twocents says:

Xtrahabsfan and HardHabits say it a page back.

Whether you saw him play or not, the record of Penny’s ’84 year is there for you to see. Trust me he was impressive. He lost his job two years later after being injured to a younger, better Patrick Roy and never bounced back. I am not saying Halak will suffer the same fate. In fact I am sure he won’t.

But some ARE calling Halak a superstar, whether you’ve seen them write it or not. And that is premature, as you seem to agree.

Oh, and being highly regarded by GM’s is not the same as being a superstar. Hasek was superstar in nets, Roy was, Brodeur is/was.

39. Caballero says:

Since we are mentioning the perspective of people in Europe and other places, I spoke to some acquaintances from Toronto and Ottawa, and their perception is that both goalies are good, but the team in front of them sucks. I can see why they think this way. When two (three if we include Pleks) of your top 6 are sleeping in the playoffs you are not going to win much.

40. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m not roasting him. He asked for a trade and he got a trade.

41. G-Man says:

The moment posters here stop bemoaning every past draft pick I will move on. :)

42. sholi2000.com says:

“Play Me or Trade Me”, never works no matter how nice of a guy you are.

He should be happy.  Now he gets all the ice time he wants, little to no media circus, and only Jake Allen and Ben Bishop to compete with.

The Norris division will be no treat to play in, there’s no comparison to the Adams that we are in :) hehe.

They Call Me Shane

43. Clay4bc says:

Revisionist history will not make up for this poor trade…

__________________________

44. Clay4bc says:

Well, that’s understandable and not at all surprising – they share (close to) a common culture. This is something everyone looks for in friends…

__________________________

45. SeriousFan09 says:

THN has Ken Campbell throwing his estimates out, favourite remark “meets the Hall’s unofficial criteria of having played for the Toronto
    Maple Leafs at one point during his career.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. joeybarrie says:

Well i am afraid to say people keep topping stupidity… How does it feel to be in 2nd place???  By the way, dont feel as if you cant regain your number one position… I strongly suspect your almost there…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. Clay4bc says:

Gotta like Dougie…left it all out on the ice, and never took a shift off. Even respected him when he was a Leaf (*spit*). He gets my vote for sure…not that the induction committee has been returning my calls of late.

__________________________

48. sholi2000.com says:

After Watching Hall in the Memorial Cup, my opinion is the Oil would be crazy to take the other guy.  I have never seen (live in the West) a player with such speed and hand eye coordination.  That kid was amazing, and no other player during the tourney can be compared.  The other standout was Gormley from Moncton.  Great d-man!

They Call Me Shane

49. Clay4bc says:

Well, why didn’t they just say so? I’m sold now…

__________________________

50. ed lopaz says:

look at it for a moment. if you want space in the cap, you trade AK for a draft pick – that’s 3 million.

unless you think we should keep AK at the expense of trading Halak?

if they had a 3 million dollar cap problem, all they had to do was unload the trash – AK out the door for a 4th round pick.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

I just don’t see it being such a definite, in that case the Habs could’ve kept Halak at what he wanted, plus had Price back him up for 20-25 games as the team tries to build him up again, that way Halak gets a nice 55-60 game workload so he still has something for the post-season.

If the cap didn’t exist, a lot of goalies wouldn’t be turning in 70+ seasons I think, they’d have qualified backups to take some weight off the main guy’s back.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Chris says:

No, he asked for more playing time. Whether that came with the Habs or via a trade to a team that would play him more was entirely up to the Montreal Canadiens.

Halak is hardly the first NHL player that is frustrated with a lack of playing time. And to be perfectly frank, the same people roasting him for the so-called “trade demand” would be roasting him today for lacking a competitive streak if he had simply acquiesced to sitting on the bench for an entire season as a young, developing goalie.

53. TommyB says:

Anyone but Lindros is exactly right, 24.  Looks like this could be Gilmour’s year.

54. G-Man says:

Kovalev never gave the effort Halak did in the playoffs.
    Tough moves that aren’t liked by the fan base are acceptable when they are not counter to the team’s on-ice success.

Just because Stan Bowman says Byfuglien is on the trading block means nothing. Everyone on any roster can be had for the right price, but I don’t think he’s going to move those players directly responsible for the Cup victory, like Toews, Kane, Byfuglien.
    That Campbell and Huet are on the block makes sense.

55. Caballero says:

His agent speaks for him. Obviously Halak had to back peddle. Just like Halak obviously is saying he wishes he could have stayed in Montreal or he is upset about leaving etc…. this is known as bringing out the cassette or I guess the mp3 file now.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

Nieuwendyck and Bure are my two votes.

Seguin or Hall, too close to call.

58. GrimJim says:

And I think Gainey actually got TIMO banned, using some form of mind-control to make Boone pull the trigger

59. ed lopaz says:

I am speculating as we all do.

When you “speculate” that we need more offence, are you “reading Gauthier’s mind”?

I am suggesting that in the absence of a Cap, Halak would have ben treated exactly the same way.

60. habs001 says:

i hope i am wrong but i dont think we will get any impact players…what we will get is prospects or draft picks…we may get an experienced player like moore …this is why plecks has to be signed as loosing him with metro and ak46 is 57 goals gone.. we need to add goals from last years total not trying to replace lost goals.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Doesn’t matter. His agent, who speaks for him,  asked for a trade.

The Canadiens obliged.

Who’s going to the Hall of Fame?  Anyone but Lindros.

63. TripleX says:

DAMN YOU ED!  I WANTED THIS COVETED AWARD!   LMAO

64. B says:

from 2/1/09 to 2/1/11, has a list of six (6) teams in both the Eastern and Western Conference that he will accept a trade to; after 2/1/11, does not hold a NTC

65. TripleX says:

Wow dude you are pretty liberal with your handing out of awards.  I had that distinction only last night.

Easy come, easy go.  LOL

66. ed lopaz says:

no. but neither do we know what was said behind closed doors, do we?

maybe Jaro and his agent talked this through with the Habs brass, and it was taken care of.

67. ed lopaz says:

Thanks!! Thats an accomplishment, is it not?

No CAP, Halak still would have been traded.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

When did mind-reading become one of your superpowers?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

Another inetersting fact from that interview. They asked him who he will miss on the team. He said he was closest to the Czechs (Pleks, Hamr, Spacek) and the Russians (Markov and the Bros).

70. joeybarrie says:

Your first problem with this World Cup is your following France… The Coach sucks, the players are crazy, and the selection process is a shame… This is a team that wins the Cup, and Euro and then doesnt score a SINGLE goal in the next big tourney… Then they make the finals, and don’t even start their best players.

If you want an example of an AWFUL coach look at Domanech… Quite STYLISH, but crappy…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

71. Bugs says:

Yeah, but you guys in Toronto have NO ONE inferior to compare yourselves to, sooo…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

72. ed lopaz says:

if there was NO CAP, Halak still would have been traded.

73. HabFanSince72 says:

If his agent misrepresented him, he should have been fired.

Did Jaro fire his agent  for asking for a trade?

74. Bugs says: