Saving $$$ on scouting?

In Marc Antoine Godin’s La Presse story on the scout sackings, a source speculates that the Canadiens will cut costs by using video instead of human beings freezing in junior and college rinks.

The Canadiens now employ nine scouts, some of whom probably are waiting for the other show to drop.

The Leafs have 24 scouts, including four pro scouts (the Canadiens have one, Doug Gibson) and five in Europe (Canadiens have one, Hannu Laine, based in Finland).

We’ll know more today if Pierre Gauthier meets the media at development camp in Brossard.

Guy Boucher is expected to be there as well.

Workouts begin this afternoon at 2 and run till 5.

Pat Hickey sets things up.

Check back later today for news from camp.

1. SLONCOLD says:

the refs are a joke, they call little hooks from behind but cross checks, slashes hits from behind nothing. We’re also talking about vicious slashes and cross checks not the little hacks or pushes. lots of late hits as well, like i know u have to finish your check but once the play has started to go the other way, it might be time to worry about the puck.lol although they did call chicago for interference.

how chris pronger has not had a penalty yet is beyond me lol.

2. Jbird says:

I’m Uruguay and Ghana all the way!  but serious I say Argentina.   Hows about those Koreans’?? ;-)

3. mike g says:

Next year will be the biggest test for Brass…

Here’s a guy who’s used to dominating at every single level. Since he made the Jackets, he’s been bitten by injuries and mostly inconsistent with the scoring sheet. At the age he is, this will either be his breakout year or another step back. Hopefully he can stay healthy and play with Nash. He’s a nice sleeper pick if that happens, because he can be a 70 point centerman with Rick.

I saw lots of him in juniors and a buddy of mine played with him in Drummond. Great kid, awsome talent. I really hope he can put it all together…If not, the Jackets are in serious trouble..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. Storm Man says:

5 teams have a real good shot. My heart wants England to win but I dont see how they can bet Brazil if England gets to the semi finals.

5. mike g says:

Colby Armstrong would be my guy…

And on defense, Shane O’Brien

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

6. Storm Man says:

He was raised in Williams Lake and his family still lives there.

7. mike g says:

I know it’s hard for some of us to do because of certain obligations, but whoever isn’t following the Cup Finals seriously enough should start right now…

For the first time in about 10 years, this is turning out to be a real bruising battle. Two very, extreamly physical AND talented teams are going at it. This something we haven’t seen in a while. The Pens and Wings didn’t offer this, their series’ were more creative and offensively/defensively strategic. This year however, you have 2 teams who will hurt you badly in order to hoist the Cup. Watching last nights game, I couldn’t help but immagine the Habs playing vs the Hawks. It hurts to say this, but it wouldn’t have been fun for us Habs fans. The amount of slashing, cross-checks, high sticks, etc…going on is rediculous; and all of them are not being called. I was watching and saying to myself, “Man, we would have gotten such a physical beating, it’s not even normal”.

I know most of you guys understandably don’t appreciate the Flyers, or their style of play. I however happen to like the Flyers, they’ve been my “2nd favorite” team since Mike Richards became a member of their squad. I appreciate how they play, it’s a rough and tough style that can only be beaten if you are willing to either suck it up and pay the price, or if you give it right back to them. The Habs, sadly, would not be able to compete like that as we saw in the Flyers series. And, the Hawks are doing a scary good job of handling themselves against the Flyers, while also giving Philly a taste of the Hawks’ toughness and gritt…

All this to say, while we all wished and wanted our Habs to be on the ice now, it may not be a bad thing that they aren’t. Would we have been able to play 2 road games like Philly did and keep pace with the Hawks? I really don’t think so. What about matching their physicallity? Probably not. So to everyone who hasn’t been following, tune into the Finals because it’s a great one. Try and understand and immagine the bumps, bruises, and broken bones these guys are suffering just to gain an inch on that ice. It really is something to watch, and these 2 teams seem like a perfect fit fot the tilt…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

8. LeNordique says:

If the Flyers do it then I hate it- even if it might be a good idea.

9. Ali says:

I really hope these guys are going to be replaced with better scouts. Pierre McGuire (as annoying as he may be to some) is right about one thing, there is no salary cap on scouting and pro staff. You have to have the best guys out there looking for players. video scouting is great at the pro level, but to draft well you need to have scouts. if the habs are skimping on this, i’m very worried for the future.

10. TomNickle says:

Actually.  I really like their group of youth.  Russell, Filatov, Voracek, Brassard, Boll, Nash.

They just need some help on D.  Maybe they’d be a candidate for Roman Hamrlik.  Hmmm………

11. adamkennelly says:

anyone else notice that each of the two teams in the finals have 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 players bigger, meaner and tougher than Habs toughest (Moen) player?

absolutely zero doubt that this team needs to improve in that department – don’t mean enforcer but if we have to go with smallish top 6 then we have to make sure we get a lot uglier on the bottom 6 and at least 1 D man who opponents fear.

on my wish list

Rypien, Prust, Clarkson, Rupp, Carkner….

who they’ll prolly end up with

Ryan White sometimes and “team toughness”

12. GrimJim says:

Then you shot your arrow and missed the mark. Sarcasm only works when it’s so over the top that the reader has no other choice but to recognize it as such (like Pope’s “A Modest Proposal”). Sorry Tony. Try going farther out on the limb next time.

BTW, there’s six comments knocking you for your poor attendance comment and one for the poor product sales slag

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Perhaps negotiations cooled when he suggested that if Rick Nash wasn’t in the lineup the Jackets/Bulldogs would be about an even fight?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. joeybarrie says:

I don’t think his agent (MAB) can play up his numbers, since they are only slightly better than his last season in Minni. You right though, he is a goner.

I agree with MARA. I love his attitude, and his size helps alot. He was clearly playing injured most of his season to some extent. 7th D is perfect, hopefully we will be able to unload Hamr (sadly cause he had been good for us), however I think we are unlikely to do so with Markov injured.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

15. The Cat says:

At least it used to be that way, maybe its changed now.

16. The Cat says:

So whos going to win the World Cup?

17. joeybarrie says:

His shot is pretty accurate too… Let’s try to remember he is a half a point a game player in his entire career…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. The Cat says:

Exactly, his agent will shop his numbers around and he will find someone to take him, truth is hes not an NHL caliber d-man.

19. The Cat says:

Price is from Anahim lake, maybe its close by I dont know. But I do know Williams Lake is almost a one family town. A big ass ranch with tens of thousand of cattle and the employees (lots of them) are all family or related in some way.

20. joeybarrie says:

All in all, MAB did a pretty good job replacing Markov on the PP. His defense is not great, but he isn’t the worst out there. For 750k, he was a pretty good pickup. We do not need him as long as Markov is back. PK is more than enough to round out our D corps. Its pretty easy to add up all the goals he was responsible for ofensively and defensively… Its called plus minus. His is not the worst on our team except for the playoffs, where he seemed to lose his game and confidence.

Let’s try to remember he had to stay in the position he liked in order to get off a good slap shot. Thus making him at least a step behind when it comes to anticipating the puck in his blue line corner. This guy seemed to play ALOT, despite the fact that there are ALOT of experts in the Habs fans who really should be in charge of the team.

It’s funny how many times I hear on here how bad a job JM is doing despite making the Conf Finals with a load of injuries all season. Despite his winning redord as a coach I guess there are alot more guys around here who spend alot of time on this website thinking they could do a better job. AGAIN, despite the fact they are not involved in professional hockey at all… I mean the coverage is SO GREAT that all the experience you really need is simply watching the games half drunk on beer, and having alot to say… I wonder how you put that experience on your cv exactly…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

21. SeriousFan09 says:

NHL.com store has a limited time offer that has a 25% reduction on Habs gear, put in orders for Cammalleri, Markov and Subban shirts. Anyone looking to boost their Habs collection should check it out.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. smiler2729 says:

Mine too.

23. TomNickle says:

Usually NHL teams like to meet face to face with people they’re thinking of entrusting their organization and development of that organization with.  But hey, maybe they’re meeting next week.

24. mrhabby says:

and doug leaves the warm ,sunny confines of California..me thinks not.

25. Storm Man says:

On the news front Williams Lake BC is one of the worst places to live in Canada as told by moneysense magazine. I wonder what Price thinks about this?

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Thing is, whenever I think about texting I think about the telegraph.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. mrhabby says:

okay fine then..lol

28. The Cat says:

Poor attendance all year long? I want to LOL but Im scared.

29. The Cat says:

Time moves so fast nowadays, just as I was getting used to morse code.

30. Storm Man says:

I will not….. It is my happy place.

31. Exit716 says:

If the team is so great at drafting third and fourth line players, why did Gainey have to spend money on the likes of Laraque and Moen over the past few seasons? Those are roles that have to be filled internally with minimum wage grinders, not guys that make three times that amount.

Buffalo uses primarily video scouting and it seemed to work for them with that Myers kid.

32. LeNordique says:

Yes and no…ideally, management should know better than to rush a prospect before he’s ready and that takes discipline.  But at the same time if you have enough guys on the NHL roster or enough role players in the minors that can fill in then that takes the pressure off managment to rush a prospect in to the big leagues.

There’s also a judgement call on management’s part to decide when a player is “ready.”  I’m sure that’s an inexact science and sometimes it’ll work out (Subban, Pyatt) and sometimes it won’t (Price for now, maybe Pacioretty).  If the roster is deep enough though then that makes the call that much easier since there won’t be the same pressure to make the call-up if a few more years on the farm is what’s needed.

33. puck face says:

could be habs have already got something worked out with Boucher and feel comfortable letting him talk with other teams.

34. RetroMikey says:

Time for the Molson brothers to dish out more money on scouts and pry others away from Detroit, Chicago, Boston to name a few.

I’d demote Trevor Timmins to a lower position and hire a new Direcor of Scouting.

We haven’t exactly drafted a good bunch of draft picks since the mid 80′s, that’s almost 30 years!!

Wonder if Doug Wilson of the Sharks would like to come back closer to home?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

35. mrhabby says:

change that pic..ur driving us all nuts.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Columbus has permission to talk with Boucher and I hear of this newfangled invention called a telephone…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. puck face says:

agreed. MAB has got a hard shot but i’d rather have someone with more accuracy and better defensive skills.

38. TomNickle says:

So Guy Boucher will be at the Camp.  I guess he isn’t in Columbus negotiating a new contract.

39. puck face says:

man i didn’t realize how stacked we are on D. F MAB then. agreed with Paul Mara , he’s a solid character guy that i was disapointed not to able to see play this year. really hope they find a spot for him.

40. BKAK72 says:

I am unsure what’s worse, the FRENCH (tabloid) sports media “speculation” articles or the ENGLISH (tabloid) sports media that reports on it!

Can we just get back to factual reporting, please?

If the writer/editor of this site is bored then start a simple sting like:

PRICE vs HALAK – who do we keep?, or

PLEKS – what’s he worth, if at all?

(I really miss HABS playoff hockey)

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

41. J.J. of Turku says:

Would be a very long and dirty process in the court. :)

42. TomNickle says:

Haha, beautiful!

43. SeriousFan09 says:

MAB is a PP specialist and will seek more than the 750k he was earning this season and he isn’t worth any raise  in contract terms. With Subban coming up and having ten times the ability of MAB it’s a non-starter about keeping around a luxury asset that can’t even work the PP if any pressure that could be compared to a light breeze is put on him at the point.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. puck face says:

change the k in mark for a c , teach him french and how to make tourtiere and presto he is a hockey god.

45. Storm Man says:

21,273 how is that not a sellout?

46. J.T. says:

That’s a fascinating potential out, but I’m sure the bloodsuckers at the NHLPA legal office have some specification about a contract having to involve the actual playing of hockey.  On the other hand, I’m sure guys in chicken suits can play exhibition games, charity games, mascot all-star games…

Then again, Youppi probably has rights to sue for territory infringement or something.  I hate the business of the game.

47. HFX-HabFan says:

MAB is a goner.  We really don’t need him, even with Markov out.  He’ll probably be looking for more than what we should pay anyway.  His agent will be milking the numbers he put up, but we all know about his defensive deficiencies.  I am still hoping Hamrlik gets moved this summer; we desperately need to clear up that cap space.  Heading into next year, I’d love to see our blueline look like:

Markov*-O’Byrne

Spacek-Subban

Gill-Gorges

I’d also seriously consider bringing back Paul Mara for dirt-cheap as a 7th D.  His value is low right now, and he said he loved playing here.  Why not maintain contact through the summer and if he gets no offers, just give him a camp invite?  The other option is to see what Emelin is looking for.  Either of those guys could be a good 7th D who could play regular minutes until Markov is back.  The other alternative is Weber, who would help replace Markov in the offensive end but not as much on the back end.  Just some thoughts about the D.

48. Storm Man says:

LMAO what if his name was Mark Smith with the same stats???

49. puck face says:

haha ! my motives are personal,i don’t own any habs gear and would like to walk away with half of yours in the divorce , long distance relationships never work.

50. AndyF says:

Isn’t this just a question of a bit of discipline.   It’s up to the organisation to control its urge to bring talent up too early, isn’t it?

AndyF

51. SeriousFan09 says:

What if we put in a clause that he has to walk around in a chicken suit for the entire length of his contract? Does the CBA cover that?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. mrhabby says:

poor attendance..the barn was sold out every night…

53. AndyF says:

Well, it’s not Morel’s fault that the organisation was too short-sighted to understand the importance of homogeneity in their scouting metrics.   I place the blame squarely on BG and PG.   The Habs *should* have one of the best scouting systems in the business, period.   They have all the money in the world to do it.

Grab Andy Murray now and pay him a couple of million dollars.   He’s a scouting genius!

AndyF

54. J.J. of Turku says:

You broke my “sarcasm-radar”…

55. J.T. says:

Sorry, Mike, but it’s bad news and more bad news.  If Fischer didn’t pan out, the Habs only get a compensatory pick IF they offer him a contract which he rejects.  That clause is there to protect teams from snotty little players who want to pull a Blake Wheeler and dare to spend four years in college waiting out the teams who own their NHL rights, so they can actually have control over their own careers and futures.  If a team screws up and just drafts a bust they don’t want to sign four years after the fact, well, that team is out of luck.   So, in this case, no Fischer, no replacement pick.  Unless Fischer rejects a contract offer by the Habs, suddenly realizing that he’s not NHL material and it would be wrong to punish the team by taking its money.

56. puck face says:

i love you , let’s get married.

57. HFX-HabFan says:

If Spacek is dumped, you can be assured that our chances of signing veteran free agents will plummet.  And Dandenault?!  Seriously?!

58. J.J. of Turku says:

…Oops… Wife just found one more T-shirt… :)

59. puck face says:

french media has started a campaign to give MAB a new contract. he put up more points than anyone expected but man was he a disaster defensively. it would be interesting to add up all the goals he was directly resposible for offensively snd defensively to see just how valuable he is because honestly i don’t know what to think about him.

60. J.J. of Turku says:

I say product sales went well… I was just unpacking my clothes after we renovated our home.

I found:

-3 Habs T-shirts (basic)

-2 Habs “jersey T-shirts”

-1 Price T-shirt

-1 Beliveau T-shirt

-1 Richard #9 T-shirt

-1 Lafleur T-shirt

-1 Habs polo shirt

-1 Habs Winter jacket

-1 Habs heritage jersey sweater

-2 Habs hoodies

+ Komisarek & Kovalev T-shirts…

I’m soon 38 years old :)

61. CHsam says:

hey i`ll take that! Didn`t know we get a 2nd round pick.. I hope David Fischer has plans for life after hockey, it its early enough to say that.

62. TomNickle says:

That’s ridiculous about Morel.  He should have been fired mid-season if that’s the case.

BTW, your husky has almost identical markings to mine.

63. TomNickle says:

BTW, your husky has almost identical markings to mine.

64. GrimJim says:

Tom,

Stating the obvious in Tony’s defense, the “Boivin a genius” is sarcasm but clearly the poor attendance is a problem. Sure they had 41 sold-out home games but what about their road attendance record? Only 10,000 fans in Carolina for an April game? Shamefull. Montreal management  clearly has to do a better job of promoting the team outside La Belle Province to ensure that attendance doesn’t drop. Even when the opposing rink was a sell-out it still was three or four thousand people short of what Montreal can seat. That’s clearly poor management on Montreal’s part, not having all the rinks have the same capacity as the Bell Centre.

And let’s not forget the playoff games. I saw no one standing in the aisles, or the ramps or the fire exits. Surely the team could have packed in two or three thousand more fans if they just ignored fire code and safety regulations. That’s a clear lack of foresight by Boivin and company.

for shame, for shame, for shame

65. MikeMcLaren says:

Well, it’s good news and bad news…

The bad news is that Fischer doesn’t look like he panned out.

The good news is that the Canadiens didn’t sign him.  This means that the Canadiens will get a 2nd round compensatory pick in his place.  It’s not a first-round mulligan altogether, but I’ll take an extra 2nd rounder.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

66. TomNickle says:

Jesus Cripps Shakes!  Is the cap goin up to $70 million and I didn’t hear about it?

67. TomNickle says:

Ok. whatever you think big guy.

68. Danno says:

Please make Steve Harper and his G-20 friends aware of this. We could have saved $1 Billion.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

69. Storm Man says:

I almost forgot MAB will be the new video scout.

70. HFX-HabFan says:

“poor attendace all year long”

Dude, we sold out every home game!  Look it up if you don’t believe me!