Savard denies he’ll be über-VP

SergeSavard
On his Radio-Canada blog, Martin Leclerc is reporting Serge Savard – who is assisting owner and CEO Geoff Molson in finding a new general manager – will become the Canadiens’ vice-president of hockey operations.
The team organigram would have the new GM reporting to Savard, who would report to Molson.
In conversation with Journal de Montréal columnist Yvon Pedneault, Savard denied the rumour.

Leclerc has previously reported a done deal that will have Patrick Roy coaching the Canadiens next season.

Roy denied the story.

After an exhaustive search and numerous probing interviews, we at HIO have come up with our own recommendation for a new Habs general manager.

The figure the new man should be more outgoing and dynamic than the intensely introverted and private Pierre Gauthier.

The winner:

And for your Leaf-bashing pleasure:

1. Spotty says:

No. I have the utmost respect for Savard but the Canadiens organization does this to themselves time after time. Trot some former Canadiens great out in hopes that their past glory can be replicated. How has that worked out for us? It has been almost two decades since the last Cup. The game has moved on since Savard’s time. You think any of the new up-and-comers want to take a GM position that is GM in title only while Savard is making all the “real” calls? This entire organization needs a complete reboot with fresh front-office talent attuned to today’s game. No more Hab retreads. Past glory is just that – past. If Montreal is really serious about winning they need to start making some innovative, forward looking decisions about the composition of their managment team – and Savard is about as far from this tact as you can get.

Spotty

“And from Mile 40, Saskatchewan, where he now runs a donut shop, number 10, former penalty-minute record holder for the years 1960 to 1968 inclusive, Gilmore Tuttle.”

2. matraque says:

Having SS onboard is a blessing. We will finally see more local (Canadian and Québecois) talent with the team.

Just imagine if we had Letang, Giroux, Bergeron, etc…

——
    Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

• Ferg says:

Yeah, wouldn’t it be great if we had all French players? Of course using your logic we’d have to send Gorges and Price to Vancouver (being BC natives). And Pacioretty and Cole would probably have to go to Boston or New York (being American). And Markov and Emelin would be in the KHL (being Russian). Yeah, this would be a great team if they were all from Quebec. Or even from Ontario, but only if they were French Ontarians. What a wonderful parochial (look it up) point of view. I feel sorry for all those NHL teams that don’t care about the players’ birthplace. They just want winners. Poor Boston and New York and Detroit.
      Thank you Donald Cerise.

• thirdstone says:

Great post Ferg.

• Michael says:

That’s a pretty wild over-reaction. He didn’t say he wanted all French-Canadian players. He said “more local talent,” and specifically included the rest of Canada with Quebec. Then he cited some pretty dynamite Quebecois players the Habs passed on in favour of Americans and Europeans. Passing on Claude Giroux so you can draft the great David Fischer out of high school is plainly unacceptable, and it has nothing to do with parochialism.

But why let facts get in the way of a good non sequitur rant? And in that regard… who was comparing who to Don Cherry?

• Locofoco says:

Giroux=Hearst, Ontario. Not local.

• Michael says:

Am I the only one who can read? He said, “We will finally see more local (Canadian and Québecois) talent with the team.” Ontario is in Canada. Besides, Giroux was a Habs fan who spent his major junior career in Gatineau. He should have been on the Habs’ radar, and he is a hell of a lot more local than David Fischer, the guy Montreal drafted instead of Giroux, who played in Apple Valley High School in Minnesota.

3. Chester says:

You know, I liked Savard as a Dman and as a captain, but not so much as a GM. He is closed minded and a little too Quebecois pour moi. One of the obvious people that should have been involved with this organization has been ignored and passed over year after year, that would be Larry Robinson. With Savard back in power that will continue. I hope for the organizations sake that he does his advisory thing and then gets out and goes away. He is too old, out of touch and a bit too much of a power tripper for me.

• Rad says:

I have long thought that the way the Montreal Canadiens have passed on Robinson year after year is a travesty, and a deep and black mark against the organization. Larry was the best defenseman in Habs history, and the backbone of the Hab team that won 4 Stanley Cups. I rank him in the top 5 defensemen in the history of the game, or, as Mike Boone would say, [Insert Argument Here]. In addition, Larry has won a Stanley Cup as a Coach, is bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and well-liked. He would be great in any capacity. The Habs should be so lucky as to have him back in the fold again, but given the ineptitude of the organization, that probably means Larry will not be back.

I agree with what you say about Savard being a better Dman than he was a GM, and that the organization would be better served if he “does his advisory thing and gets out and goes away.” I also agree that Serge could perhaps be out of touch with today’s game. The one thing I disagree with is when you say he is too old. In his capacity as Advisor, I would like to think that Savard’s age should be less of a hindrance than a help.

• Michael says:

I believe Serge Savard has more Stanley Cups as a GM than Larry Robinson does as a coach (I could be wrong; I haven’t looked that up). That’s not a knock on Robinson, but rather a defence of Savard. If I really wanted to split hairs, I’d argue that Doug Harvey was the best defenceman in Habs history, but nevermind that. I would also love to see Big Bird involved with the Habs. It was inexplicably shameful a few seasons ago when he publicly expressed interest in ending his coaching career as an assistant in Montreal and nobody from the organization called him! What the hell was that about?

4. jo_maka says:

Now lookee here I say lookee here, son ! What’s the big id- I say what’s the big idea of anointing this raving feathered lunatic as GM ? He’s as subtle as a paraplegic performing brain surgery with a wrench !!! I’d say he’s more of a coach, that chicken. Coach….chicken…..coach’s chicken !!! Ha! The only thing worthwhile in Columbus not named Nash and first pick ! I nearly gagged son, choked that is ….. Kids these days :D

I was thinking more Pepe Le Pew, we know he’s french. A lot of perseverence to say the least, le style, no possible attractive FA can outrun or outwit le Pew and he always gets le way while being cool as a la cucumber.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

Pretty interesting read from Boston.Com about the Habs current state of affairs.

6. Say Ash says:

That’d be a pretty cool business card to hand out, eh? “Über VP”

7. alwayssunny says:

Just read Jack Todd’s column. Nice to read a sensible, objective assessment of Carey Price’s play to date. Enjoyed that, well said Mr. Todd, I’m sure we all agree. I certainly do.

8. Bill says:

HABS REPORT CARDS – No Grade Available

Brian Gionta – NGA – The valiant petit gars de Rochester had an injury plagued season, and is something of a forgotten man at this point. He wasn’t really filling the net when he went down – scoring at a 21 goal pace – but you have to keep in mind the general FUBAR situation of the Habs this year. Gionta is a consistent high-20s scorer. He hasn’t lost his nose for the net, and he will back next year, hopefully as part of an effective second line with Pleks, picking up his customary 25-30 goals. To a lot of callow, neophyte fans, Gionta has become equated with Gomez: I’ve even read talk around here about buying him out! That is nonsense. He’s one guy you can bank on a comeback year from.

Louis Leblanc – NGA – Can’t be fairly evaluated due to the spot duty he received. I LOVE this guy. When he’s on the ice, I see a guy with serious hockey smarts and above average skills. Best of all, he’s equally aware in all three zones. I keep saying he’s got Carbonneau potential – which amazingly led one poster to say it was too bad Leblanc could only achieve third-line status – and I think it’s true. He’s a guy who can be an effective shadow but also probably pick up 20 goals and forty points on the third line. We don’t have anyone like that. Third lines are important, people! Leblanc can be part of a really, really good one. I’d like to see Eller centring Leblanc and Moen next year, getting consistent 14-15 minutes of ice. That line would rock.

Blake Geoffrion – NGA – Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Aaron Palushaj – NGA – How can a guy who is a scorer being asked to be a grinder be fairly evaluated? If his skills aren’t enough to get him on the top nine, he’s probably not going to last in the NHL.

Ryan White – NGA – Played just 20 games. Kinda ran around like the proverbial headless chicken. Should concentrate more on hockey, less on fighting: just IMO. Could be a valuable 4th liner if he did.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Jack Todd is at it again. This time I agree with him, bombast and all.

10. boonie says:

It’s nearly impossible not to respect Serge Savard as a player, GM and business man. But, the key take away from the Gainey, Gauthier situation was the importance of coupling authority and responsibility.

If Molson learned anything from that disaster (and the dang fool probably didn’t) was he needs to empower the head man and make him publicly responsible. We’ll never know where Gainey’s authority ended and Gauthier’s began. Ultimately, those vagaries shielded both from reasonable performance expectations.

That can’t happen again. If serge gets uber authority, then announce it and let him accept the accolades of success or the barbs of failure. He’ll hand pick the GM or assistant GM and the coach, and set organizational goals. If he doesn’t get uber stuff, then select a GM, thank serge for his input and get him the hell out of the organization. No more consulting, quasi-GMs… Please.

And, mr. Molson, if you don’t follow this well established business rule, it’s only because you are a pathetic fop. One who wants to pretend to have power when things are humming and eschew responsibility for failure.

Only geoff molson could make the thoroughly classless and unlikeable Gauthier a martyr. To say Gauthier and gainey were insular was a pathetic attempt to say the kaberle and bourque deals were completed without owner consent. That suggests Gauthier ran the team without an approval process until weeks before he was fired or mr. Molson just flat out lied and approved those deals. not a lot of honesty or business acumen from big Geoff.

Hopefully we get more transparency from his latest business decision.

11. Bill says:

HABS REPORT CARDS – The F Students

Rene Bourque – F – To find a previously effective player who was this bad after being acquired by the Habs you have to go back to Donald Audette. Really, Bourque was that useless. He didn’t score, didn’t hit, didn’t get his nose dirty … basically the only good thing you could say about him was that his cap hit was less than Cammalleri’s. Which won’t make anyone feel better the next time Cammalleri is in the playoffs. The worst thing Bourque did was make Cunneyworth look like a chump when he completely failed to respond to his coach’s challenge: like, he could’ve at least TRIED. Well, Bourque has something like what, four more years on his deal? Holy shit. Four more years. And people talk about Kaberle. Well guys, all I can say is get used to seeing Bourque’s face. Pretty hard to trade. However, all is not lost. You might score 27 goals in the NHL by accident once, but not twice: he’s got some skills. The next coach’s biggest challenge will be finding a way to light this guy’s fire – granted, many coaches have failed – and turn him into a useful player. He’s got the potential to be that big second-line winger we need so badly. Hopefully it happens. But for this year, he gets a big fat F.

Scott Gomez – F – Out of respect for Gomez, I will not pile on here. Obviously he is pretty much done in the NHL, and it’s too bad, but he had a good career. The Habs have to find a (preferably dignified) way to ditch his contract: maybe Bob Gainey will get a GM job somewhere else? I won’t go into the specifics of the Gomez problem, which are well known. Let’s just say that recently my dog got sick … so I renamed him Gomez …

Petteri Nokelainen – F – I literally forgot he played for the Habs until just now. That has FAIL written all over it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habsrule1 says:

Can’t disagree on Bourque. He was pretty damn bad as a Hab. That said, I think he can do well next year. He had been veryconsistent for 2.5 years before coming here. With the right linemates, no reason he can’t score 25 goals again. Perhaps Roy’s passion is what some of the Habs’ underachievers need.
      Gomez again cannot be defended. I don’t hate the trade, except the part about throwing in McDonagh. That boggles my mind. Besides that, it was worth the risk to get Gionta & Cammalleri to sign. Those who don’t believe one had anything to do with the others, please list the players of their calibre to sign here before then.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mike D says:

I don’t necessarily disagree that getting Gomer helped bring in Gio and Cammy (Gio especially given their history), but don’t completely overlook the fact that we overpaid both those guys even beyond the Quebec taxes thing.

Cammy especially. I doubt he would have got more than 5mil anywhere else. I give him credit for wanting to play in a hockey market and openly welcoming the challenge of playing in Montreal where so many other FA targets ran and hid from it. That was awesome and it’s too bad things didn;t work out the way they were planned.

Gio I think could have got 4mil if not 4.5mil elsewhere, but I don’t think anyone else would have given him 5. Other than him being injured this year, he actually delivered what he was brought here to do which was to be a 30 goal scorer and a vet leader with character. Hoping for a healthy return to form from him next year.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Mike D says:

Great post, Bill.

In regards to Bourque’s “untradeability”, if he’s able to put up 20 goals and 40 points then he wouldn’t be too hard to move. Anything more than that and he’s very tradeable IMO and can fetch a pretty good return to boot.

3.3mil for a big winger with decent production who can also play the PK is very reasonable given the recent salary landscape in the NHL. The only knock against him is his inconsistency, which I agree is an important factor, but I think the pluses outweigh that minus. The length of his contract considering his age could be another knock against him, but if he regains his form I don’t think it would hinder a trade at all. He is only 30 after all so it’s not like he’s a gray-beard or anything.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

12. 69HABS says:

Get rid of Youppi he`s a jynx .. LOL ….

13. Mike D says:

I see a lot of posts on this thread and the previous one about the possibility that Kaberle and Bourque will be sent down or bought out.

Guys – that’s NOT going to happen. Period. Stop wasting your breath…errr….virtual ink on the idea. I understand where the sentiment for those moves comes from, but it’s completely unrealistic.

I think Gomer has played his last game as a Hab and will be bought out if the new CBA offers a penalty free buyout. If that avenue is closed, he will be sent down to Hamilton. If THAT avenue is closed, then look for him to either remain on IR for the duration of his contract (like Laperriere in Philly), or be Huet’ed off to Europe. If the team is able to trade him without including an asset to go along with him, that would obviously be the most preferred (and difficult) move of all – especially if it doesn’t involve taking an equally lousy contract back in return. The team won’t buy him out under the normal circumstances as the salary cap implications of that move are not advantageous to the club at all.

At this point I feel even he wants to save face and avoid playing for the team again, and he and the team both know that things can’t continue they way they’ve been going for the past two seasons. He won’t retire because that would mean walking away from a guaranteed 10 million bucks, though I wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire IF he’s bought out since he’d still get his $ in that case.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Kooch7800 says:

Bourque needs a new season to start over. Yes, he didn’t play well this year but he can score which we have seen in his previous two seasons. Let him play next year on the third line next year same as AK and bring him up to top 6 when there are injuries. He is a decent penalty killer which no one seems to mention. He will be fine.

Kraprele I would rather not have next year but the reality is he will be back. I am not a huge fan especially when you have a player like St denis who can play on the PP and is also a better defender.

Gomez is done. This was the year they were giving him to come back and show he can still play and contribute. In a cap world it just doesn’t work anymore. He will never play for the habs again.

There will be a lot of changes to this roster in the off season. It will be interesting to say the least.

• Mike D says:

I agree with everything you just wrote.

My thoughts on Kaberle are that the team will explore trading him if Markov plays at the WC and doesn’t get injured. If Markov doesn’t play at the WC, then they will look to move Kaberle asap. If Markov does play at the WC and get injured, Kaberle will stick around I’m afraid until one of our other offensive Dmen shows they can QB the PP at a similar level (in addition to PK).

I’ve said before that I think Kaberle is tradeable. Not easily and not to every team but a vet Dman that puts up 40ish points who makes a reasonable 4.25mil (compared to the salaries that have been handed out the past two years) and only has two years left on his contract is not immovable. There are plenty of teams that could use more offense from their D and help on the PP. A team that’s defensively sound won’t be overly bothered by his poor defensive play. Look what Detroit did with Ian White! I could see Minny, CBJ, and EDM being a good fit. Nashville too possibly, depending on what happens with Suter and Weber this summer.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• HardHabits says:

Bourque is like AK46 version 2.0 and Kaberle is like Markov Lite without any of the defensive acumen. Kaberle doesn’t hit, check or play the body and with his stick size can’t poke check either. It’s no wonder he’s a defensive liability. Bourque on the other hand is a total enigma.

Kaberle could still bring dividends on the trade market, one can hope, and he does produce points on the PP albeit at the expense of weak 5 on 5 play. I didn’t like the Kaberle acquisition and I am not convinced he can be a contributing factor to the success of the Habs short term but he is there and unless traded will not be sent to Hamilton as he is NHL capable as is Bourque. Gomez on the other hand. The NHL train has left the Scott Gomez station.

Hopefully that 2nd pick for Cammy turns out to something good and one can hope that Patrick Holland plays a leading role with the influx of players going to Hamilton next season and makes the jump to the NHL one day. If Bourque score 20 goals and gets 40 points then I think he is a good tertiary scoring forward.

• Mike D says:

Bang on HH. I said right from Day 1 that Bourque was brought here to replace AK. He can also play the PK which is something AK didn’t do. A tertiary scoring forward is EXACTLY how I would describe him. A 3rd liner who can play the 2nd line to backfill if necessary, or permanently depending on production, who he has chemistry with, and how the 2nd and 3rd lines are determined. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him take AK’s old spot on a line with Eller and Moen (if he’s brought back). LL could slot in on one of those wings too if he stays with the Habs.

I’m hoping Detroit sweeps Nashville strictly for the purposes of Nashville’s 2nd round pick that was traded to us being as good as possible.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• jedimyrmidon says:

Heh, while Nashville getting swept would be good that 2nd rounder, I can’t bring myself to wish that upon them since they’re an organization that has by all accounts done everything “right”: good GM, good coach, organizational consistency, core players drafted and developed by the organization, good cap management (they’re even on a budget), etc… exactly how the Habs and any other team should operate.

• Mike D says:

I too give props to the Nashville organization. It’s well deserved for sure. That’s why I included the “strictly for the purposes of the 2nd round pick” caveat.

Remove that aspect and they’re probably the team I would cheer for most in the playoffs even though I find their brand of hockey fairly boring. I like them for all the reasons you mentioned. That, and I’ve got a ton of love and respect for Hal Gill.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• ZepFan2 says:

“Bourque is like AK46 version 2.0″

With one major difference. Bourque can take care of himself.

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

14. mfDx says:

10 thoughts:
    1) with increased league revenue this past year (Winnipeg instead of Atlanta) I expect the cap to be raised by at least $4million.

2) Plekanec is the best two way forward on the team. He would have over 60 assists instead of 35 if he played with men who can finish. The only way I’d trade him is in a package with Gomez.

3) Instead of trading proven assets for a $5million center, draft a big center to play 4th line behind DD, Plekanec and Eller. Expect Eller to Add 10lbs to his 23 year old body this summer. Bam! two big centers fighting for top line minutes in a year for less than $2 million.

4) Bourque has to try to make the team this fall. Criticize him all you want, but the guy knows he was brought here more for his name than his size or 27 goals.

5) Blake Geoffrion, see above.

6) Kaberle’s stick is like, the punchline to a dozen penis jokes.

7) I really hope Patrick Roy isn’t hired. He quit the organization, remember? ” this is my last game” His return would be an added distraction to this circus.

8) Youppi should only appear at events and afternoon games, unless Patrick Roy is the next coach.

9) Barring a major injury to Carey Price, the Habs will definitely make the playoffs next year.

10) If Scott Gomez is still here at Christmas and has less than 40 points, I will personally rent a humvee and cruise his neighbourhood.

Sent from my CHphone

• Habsrule1 says:

A lot of ridiculous stuff but the worst is the one about Roy. He made a mistake when he was very upset. I bet you have even said some things you regret when you were upset. He has said that he was surprised that they decided to trade him so quickly instead of talking it out.
      Ask any of his former teammates if they thought even once that Roy ever quit on the team.

Go Habs Go!!

• 69HABS says:

Nobody in here ever makes mistakes right?

Roy would bring PASSION to this team. Something it is missing big time.

• mfDx says:

oh god….
        We mock Torterella..
        Yet we wish an inexperienced hothead was the face of this once classy organization.
        Passion can be beneficial when applied intelligently.

Sent from my CHphone

• 69HABS says:

Torts gets the job done! He won a Cup & will again …

• Habsrule1 says:

So, he wasn’t a hothead as a player? How did that work out?
          Who is the we that mocks Tortorella? He’s a good coach.

I’d be shocked if Roy is not our next coach, but whoever it is, I will support.

Go Habs Go!!

• rogieshan says:

Number 4 on your list doesn’t make much sense. Bourque is an Aboriginal Cree from Alberta and has zero francophone blood. It’s like saying Andre Dawson was drafted by the Expos because of his first name.

• mfDx says:

Bourque is Metis, I believe. He didn’t choose to come here. Gauthier pushed the panic button and brought in a Geoffrion and a Bourque after hiring a Cunneyworth. The angry mob was about to kick in the gate.

Sent from my CHphone

• Mike D says:

Not to be antagonistic, but here’s some contrary thoughts:

1) Possibly, but there has also been talk about a cap roll-back which would include a roll-back of players salaries. It’s anyone’s guess what the new CBA will look like, or if there will even be a season next year or an abbreviated one.

2) Pleks definitely is the Habs’ best two-way forward. He had 52 points though, not 35. He did, however, have 35 assists so I’m guessing that’s where you got the number from.

3) If we draft a big center, which is likely, he won’t be playing 4th line. That would be a waste of his talent and the team’s time. He’ll either be the #1 or #2 guy in Hamilton, or on the top 6 for the big club in some capacity. Eller alone will cost 2mil or more and a draftee going in the top 4 will likely make that much or more with the bonus clauses usually afforded those types of rookies.

4) Bourque knows he wasn’t brought here for his name. He was brought here because Calgary wouldn’t give us Glencross and because they had to give us enough salary back to fit Cammy in under their cap.

5) Yes, but I’m not sold on him yet. I am cheering for him though.

6) Two dozen :-)

7) The Roy-as-coach scenario would have me nervous too if it happens, but if it does, I’ll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt to prove me wrong. He did walk away, but that whole thing was handled poorly (to put it lightly) by Tremblay for it happening in the first place, and also afterward as I feel more could have been done to allow cooler heads to prevail and retain St. Patrick.

8) I got no beef with Youppi! Rock on, Youps.

9) I agree…cautiously

10) Won’t be necessary. Gomez will not play for the Habs again.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• mfDx says:

2) you agree

3) Eller is at $1.27 mil now. He might get $2.5 as an RFA. How much bonus does an 18yr old #3 pick get? My numbers here were wrong, but it’s still two under 25 year old centers for less than $4mil.

7) Roy as coach would affect team morale. Do we want to win games or please a few franco-journalists who claim to be speaking for a nation? He’s NOT the best available coach.

Sent from my CHphone

• Mike D says:

Re: Rookie bonuses.

Tyler Seguin’s cap hit last year and this year is 3.55mil. Taylor Hall and RNH’s cap hits are 3.7+mil. Matt Duchene’s at 3.2mil. Braydon Schenn’s cap hit this year is 2.75.

With top draft rookies, the salary itself is low at around 900K, but the bonuses can add quite a bit to the overall cap hit if the conditions are met.

Even Eller’s current contract has a bonus. His salary this year is 787K but he has a 400K bonus (which he met, probably just by staying with the big club), bringing his actual cap hit to 1.271mil. He was drafted 13th overall I believe. A forward drafted in the top 4 is certain to have max bonuses in their contract which will be reached if they stay with the big club.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Mr. Biter says:

Mike,
            I’d love to post a picture from a Boston home game regarding Tyler (held by some young girls in the 1st row holding a home made sign about their high school days ) but it might get me banned.
            Sorry

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Lizardking89 says:

I don’t buy any of those. As far as Roy goes some people have a very selective memory of what happened. Tremblay left Roy in nets for 9 goals. Tremblay kept him in net in order to humiliate him. Why would he want to play for a coach like that? After all he did for this franchise and he gets treated like shit from a scrub of a former player like Tremblay.

I’ll forever blame Tremblay and Houle for doing that to Roy and they both set the franchise back decade with their stupid moves.

He might not make a good coach but in no way did he quit on the team they quit on him. Houle or Corey could have defused the whole situation but instead traded him and Mike Keane away for 3 bench warmers.

15. Mr. Biter says:

Good impresion of PJ Stock. I remember almost all of the lines from younger days.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

I only post this link for the fan posts that go with it.

Why do I find it ironic that my wife and I are going to see Titanic 3D next week?

17. Habfan4lfe says:

If Savard has anything to do with selecting a GM this team is sunk for more years. How anyone can think this guy is “into it” is beyond me. This guy as far as NHL goes is washed up. So typical they’d bring him in though. I’m sticking with the belief he is nothing but a french shield for Molson and whatever decision he makes.

EDIT: I think Serge is a great guy. He was a player I followed throughout my career of hockey. But he’s been away a long time and if he is going to toss someone because they can’t speak french then I don’t see how we will know we ever improve with this thought process. You are either getting the best guy, or the best guy that speaks french. Not the same thing.

• Habsrule1 says:

Savard is still well-respected in the NHL and his presence should help on some levels. That said, he should only be used as a tool during the interview process and then potentially as an assistant GM with a fancier title.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Never mind the Stanley cups as player, captain and GM, the Hall of Fame, the No. 18 hanging on the ceiling.

He’s just a Frog.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan4lfe says:

All the past. He also got nailed for DUI too, that’s respectable.

• LA Loyalist says:

’72 you could also throw in that he’s a pretty successful businessman.

I would further suggest that having such a “name” in the front office might give us some ability to hire an anglo GM or Coach and have Savard speak to the thinking and sell it to the fans. Savard has a lot of credibility, don’t you think?

• Bill says:

The GM and coach of the Canadiens preferably would speak French. It’s a French city in a French province, and the team’s history is inextricably bound up with all of that.

If a clearly superior – I don’t know what that would look like – Anglo candidate were available, and there were no good bilingual candidates, I’d make an exception. That’s an unlikely scenario though.

In this case, there are plenty of great Francophone candidates. Can someone demonstrate that a Jim Nill is clearly superior to Marc Bergevin as a GM possibility? No. It’s not quantifiable like that.

You’re wrong, in this case, anyway. The best candidates this time around all speak French.

Full Breezer 4 Life

18. smiler2729 says:

Serge Savard makes me nervous…

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
    Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• Bill says:

I met him once in Fredericton. He’s an impressive guy. Has this aura of confidence and power … should’ve gone into politics, but I guess he didn’t want the pay cut :) I don’t want him making roster decisions, but he doesn’t make me nervous.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I met some associates of Savard’s in Fredericton. Their names were David Wilkie, Lindsay Vallis, Brent Bilodeau, and Eric Charron. I’m nervous.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
        - Sean Bonjovi

• LA Loyalist says:

… and finishing last in the east after this saison d’enfer doesn’t?

I have confidence that Savard understands what needs to happen in Montreal and will choose the personalities suited to our market.

I think if fans see exciting young talent playing Montreal-style hockey they will be patient with mistakes and the inevitable “learning curve”.

Martin’s third rate “prevent defense” was utterly unsuited to Habs, and Gauthier’s speaking publicly twice a year did no one any favors, himself included.

I’m not saying we want a Burkie (god forbid) but simply a GM who can stand up and say: Here’s the plan. Here are the sort of players we need to execute the plan, and here’s where we are in acquiring such players. And when we make a mistake, we admit it and fix it and move on, not let it fester and bring down the team.

That’s all. I’m sure we all thought Bob Gainey could do it. He couldn’t and we have to move on, with all honor to Mr. Gainey as a player and a man and as the GM who brought us at least part of the way back to being a top organization.

The next step is critical. Pray for Mr. Savard.

19. H.Upmann says:

@C_Carta: get ready man… I bet a dollar that the only contract they can bury is Gomez’.. as for Kabs and Bourque, if any team takes them in a trade, it’s gonna be us giving up a draft pick or something to be rid that player. Just my guess. Stinky trades by PG.

• Deano says:

There is still a good chance that there will be a “buy out” linked to the new CBA (just like last time). I believe the HABS have been planning for this.

• Habsrule1 says:

Judging Bourque after the time he had in Montreal is extremely short-sighted. He had 27 goals 2 years straight and was on that pace when he was traded. The lines were never consistent and with better coaching he can be valuable for us. After 40 games next year, we’ll know what he’s all about.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mark C says:

Thank goodness, they would only bury Gomez. It is absolute foolishness to consider burying Kaberle or Bourque right now. A 25+ goal, 50+ point a year player with a cap hit of only $3.3M should not be sent to the AHL after 30+ bad games. This is the type of thinking that lead to all of Montreal‘s bad trades, on speed.

20. ooder says:

although Hockey is all about winning there is something to be said about entertainment value.. and man are the blues ever boring :s
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Chuck says:

Unfortunately, boring can still net you 100+ points in this league.

___________________________________________________

Savard as a long term overseer is a recipe to disaster.

Choosing Roy (or anyone else) as coach ahead of a new GM is even more of a disaster.

Rumours aside, this team still seems to be on the ropes.

Right now, this second, the glass is still half empty.

Agree on all points.

• kempie says:

I like to think of it as being one third full.

• HabFab says:

Believe waiting until something ACTUALLY happens before deciding. There will be nothing but rumors until there is an announcement from the Canadiens.

• Cal says:

Savard as an overseer will bring the team back from this horror show we watched all year. Remember, all he is doing is helping Molson pick a GM. That’s it. That’s all.
      Thinking that Roy will be chosen first as coach is putting the cart before the horse. It won’t happen!!!

• 24 Cups says:

The article implied that Savard (16 years removed from the game) would be more than just a short term buffer to help Molson pick a new GM. The Roy rumours also continue to be circulated on this (and other) sites.

That’s what I was responding to in terms of my comments.

The team needs new blood moving forward. Just one man’s opinion.

• HardHabits says:

I must commend you on your patient ability to set things straight without condescending. Especially difficult given the tone of the comment you are replying to.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think Roy is the right choice for coach for this team. what he lacks in experience, he makes up for with fire, passion and winning. His teams have been top 5 in the league in offense and top 6 in the league in offense every year. I believe players would give him 110% every game for the simple reason that that is what he always gave as a player and as a coach.
      Sure, there have not been many successful coaches who skipped the AHL but there have also been some bad ones who coached there too.
      He’s ready. It’s time.

Go Habs Go!!

22. H.Upmann says:

@Dr.Rex, hahah actually where I work, management used this tactic to send a final message to an employee to P.F.O.. (please f’ off)

23. Say Ash says:

Best UFA signings: Ryder, Cole, Fleischmann, Elliott?
    Who else jumps out for you guys?

• HabsinLA says:

Mike Smith (my serious candidate), Selanne (although they are all 1 year deals and he only wants to sign with ANH), for their salary Arnott + Langenbruner and my not so serious pick because it was so obvious, Stamkos.

• HardHabits says:

Stamkos was an RFA no? And he wasn’t a typical FA signing. He was signed by the team that drafted him.

He’s talking on the market UFA’s. People that skipped teams.

24. Dr.Rex says:

How long until they demagnetize the key cards that Scott GOmez uses to get into the Bell Center?

25. Bill says:

HABS REPORT CARDS – The D Students

Raphael Diaz – D – Did not do enough to indicate that he belongs in the NHL, but gets a pass for having to do what he did on a brutal team in his first season. He might improve somewhat, but right now it’s hard to see him as anything other than an undersized fringe player.

Yannick Weber – D – He and Diaz are virtually clones. Statistically, even, they were just about identical. What Weber has going for him is – purportedly – a hard shot that could allow him to be a PP weapon. Unfortunately, we didn’t see much of it this year. Weber is also younger than Diaz, so there is potential there. But his window in Montreal is closing fast.

Mathieu Darche – D – Would not be in the NHL if it were all about skill. Unfortunately for the Canadiens, they have room on their roster for players without skill, because their depth is bad enough that they will settle for guys with heart. Darche has heart in abundance, but it’s a bad sign for the Habs that this guy can make their team. Would make a tremendous coach.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Dr.Rex says:

You should make a grading scale on how players performed in accordance with their salaries. I have a feeling both Kaberle and Darche will be receiving different grades.

• fun police says:

100% agree. If darche makes the team next year then it will be another long year. a hard worker, seems to be a good teammate, but there is a reason we finished last in the east.

• zorro says:

Diaz was steady and played well for an under sized, inexperienced NHLer. But now, what do you say about Rene Bourque? An F.

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – Why talk about the “D” students, when they’re really not the team’s problem?

I’d bring Darche back as a 13/14 forward in a heartbeat. Weber is signed for 850,000 and Diaz would be a great cheap, spare D man.

I don’t see any magic happening next year. We’re going to need some placeholders to get us through.

Edit: Bill, I just realized you evaluated the rest of the team in earlier posts.

Even so, I don’t see much happening next season that is different from the present day roster. I can live with that for another season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I really like your assessments Bill, especially about Mathieu Darche. People who focus on him as a problem don’t seem to grasp that there isn’t an NHL-ready youngster in Hamilton being denied an opportunity to move up. While most of us on here agreed that he was miscast on the powerplay by Coach Martin, Mathieu has a spot on this roster next season unless the Canadiens manage to sign three or four NHL forwards in free agency. This is unlikely to happen, so let’s have Mathieu hold down the fort next season while Louis Leblanc, Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Gallagher play heavy minutes in Hamilton.

I was hoping for more from Yannick Weber and Raphaël Diaz to a lesser extent this season. We need to sign a cheap defensive defenceman for a couple of seasons while we wait for the cavalry to arrive from Hamilton in 2013. Mr. Diaz gets sent down to Hamilton and plays a lot of minutes, since he’s not waiver eligible, and is one of the first callups. Mr. Weber gets another chance to show what he can do, hopefully with fewer injuries and being asked to only fill a #6/Powerplay role, he can be more mature and effective. He needs to go train with P.K. and develop some strength over the summer.

Frédéric St-Denis has convinced me that he deserves a shot. I’m underwhelmed by his size and pedigree, but he seems to be smarter and more mature than our fringe, smaller defencemen. Let’s give him an opportunity next season as the #7 D and see what he can do.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

26. RetroMikey says:

The question is who is Director of the hockey operations now?
    Ex-Prez Pierre Boivin’s silver spoon son Patrick?
    Who is the President then?
    If that is the case, how can Serge Savard, who has a ton of hockey experience in the front office be under the wing of a kid who knows nothing about day to day operations of running a professional hockey club.
    Doesn’t make sense to me.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HabFab says:

Boivin’s son doesn’t run the Habs, he is the capoligist.
      Geoff Molson is the President.
      Kevin Gilmore is the COO and runs the organization.

• saskhabfan says:

Oh but wait it says so in his media guide,LOL. Congrats.You just destroyed the whiners fecal facts with actual truth. Its always great to the posters who actually know hockey make these schmucks like retro look stupid.

• smiler2729 says:

What a maroon

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
      Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

27. Dr.Rex says:

All hab fans should give a special shout out to Malibu Hugh for his enormous financial support to Molson over the last 12 years. His dedication to chuggin down Molson Dry 24 pk’s will make the buyout of Gomez possible. Thanks Malibu. ; )

28. Stev.R says:

Who do predict will win the cup? I’m hoping a Nash/Phili final

29. Strummer says:

In acknowledging the troubled season here are 3 suggestions for re-naming the site for the balance of the playoffs :

1. Habs Over ‘N/Out

2. Habs Upside/Down

3. Habs Figurin’ It/Out

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Cal says:

You do know it’s Hockey Inside Out now, right?

• Strummer says:

Of course it is!
        I just haven’t bothered to change my browser- I like the original name better!

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Cal says:

How about Don’t Really Care Anymore As Long as the Gooins Lose Inside/Out?

• longbow says:

Or “I’d like to take the Goats head and turn it Inside Out”

“A constant smirk upon the face, and a whiffing activity of the body, are strong indications of futility.” Lord Chesterfield

30. H.Upmann says:

Perfect. Have the new gm AND Savard team up to get rid of Gomez’ contract.

31. naweed235 says:

better times are ahead… I think one of the reasons this team was nowhere near the same team we saw go to the Semis 2 yrs ago has obviously a lot to do with who was let go and who replaced them. There was a lot of character guys on that team that where either poorly replaced or not at all replaced.
    Guys like D. Moore, G. Metropolit, T. Pyatt, M. Lappierre, H. Gill, R. Hammerlik and M.A. Bergeron, although mostly considered as low tier players, brought a lot of character and passion to a team that desperately lacked it this year. Admit it or not, Gio, Gomez, Cammi and Halak were true leaders on the team and gave it their all that year.
    The next GM has to make sure he will restore a certain depth on this team before heading into next season, because for most of the year I saw a vanilla team with no identity and with a lot of uncertainty. there was way too many AHLers playing in the roster starting from the preseason and because that depth was never properly replaced by the management, the young guys were thrown in there with unrealistic expectations from them.
    Like boone said, out of our current roster, these are the guys I would keep for next year:
    Cole, DD, MaxPac, Gio, Pleks, Moen, White, Staubitz and Blunden.

Eller and Bourque are big question marks for me. Eller is about one of the most inconsistent players I’ve seen in a long time. In about 1 out of 15 games or so, he looks like he can dominate like no other and in the rest of the games, he just makes bad decisions and nervous plays.
    Bourque can be used as a depth scoring winger but if we can get something more decent for him in a package deal then so be it. Needless to say Gomez should either be sent down or traded. A buy out put too much of a cap strain on the team.

On D, Gorges, Subban and Emelin are a lock and I give Markov the benefit of the doubt since he missed 2 seasons and hopefully he’ll have a good summer to help him get back to his old form (or at least close).

Kaberle, Webber and Campoli can clean out gutters for all I care. Diaz can be a decent depth 6th or 7th Dman.

That leaves them with about 5 to 7 open spots.

I’d look at one of Parise (Obviously a dream), Umberger (trade), B. Ryan (trade) to fill that top 6 spot. P.A Parenteau and P. Gaustad would be great additions to our 3rd line.
    On D, Bryan Allen, Shane O’Brien and even H. Gill (for 1 more season) would be good additions. I don’t mind giving St-Denis a chance either. He sure impressed me in the preseason and picked up where he left off when he was called up again.
    Also, no matter who we get in the draft, contrary to what most people think, should be in Hamilton for at least a year. I think Hamilton will have a good team with most of the likes of Beaulieu, Ellis, Pateryn, Tinordi, Gallagher, Kristo, etc graduating.

All in all, the GM has his work cut out for him and it all starts by finding a smart and intense coaching staff that can work well with the young guys while being able to light a fire under the vets butts when the going gets tough.

Here’s to a better season and Cheers to all of you Habs fans.

• Stev.R says:

If Price and Subban get a legitimate raise, and we sign a forward for ~4.5m, we are already over the cap. Not to mention we’ll need to spend at least 2m for a depth veteran dman.

• naweed235 says:

FORWARDS
        Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
        UFA/ TRADE ($0.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
        Travis Moen ($2.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
        Mike Blunden ($0.700m) / Ryan White ($0.700m) / Brad Staubitz ($0.600m)
        DEFENSEMEN
        Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.200m)
        Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.800m)
        Frederic St. Denis ($0.666m) / Bryan Allen ($3.000m)
        Raphael Diaz ($0.851m) /
        GOALTENDERS
        Carey Price ($5.500m)
        Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,124,334; BONUSES: $0
        CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $13,175,666

this is of course assuming Kaberle and Gomez are buried or traded

• naweed235 says:

actually this would be something i’d like to see :
        FORWARDS
        Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
        R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
        P-A Parenteau ($3.250m) / Lars Eller ($1.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
        Travis Moen ($2.000m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.750m) / Brad Staubitz ($0.600m)
        Ryan White ($0.700m) /
        DEFENSEMEN
        Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.200m)
        Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.800m)
        Frederic St. Denis ($0.666m) / Bryan Allen ($3.000m)
        Raphael Diaz ($0.851m) /

parise-Grigorenko-21
          71-81-27
          45-53-25

79-74
          76-Suter
          22-Allen
          Trade Pleckanec, Diaz, and the rights to Ellis for the rights to Suter. Sign Allen. Nashville will have to blow up the team after this year due to the cap.

• C_Carta says:

How much of a certainty is it that there will be an amnesty clause in the next CBA? If there is not, I really hope that the incoming GM will do something about the overpaid, extremely underachieving players (Gomez). It is bad enough that so much salary is being used, but in the case of someone like Gomez, they are playing minutes which could be given to some of our younger players.

I will say that I think burying Gomez AND say Kaberle and possibly Bourque in the minors is gonna require Geoff Molson to dig deep. That is ALOT of money for essentially nothing.

Although, it is not like the team was getting it’s moneys worth anyways.

32. Bill says:

HABS REPORT CARDS – The C Students

Tomas Kaberle – C+/B- – Easily the most despised member of the Canadiens (edging Gomez, whose long absence made fans hearts grow, well, less not-fond), Kaberle nevertheless did what you would expect him to do. He put up slightly over .5 PPG, brought the power-play from DOA to mediocre, and played light even-strength minutes, for the most part, on the third pairing. A player of Kaberle’s offensive skills shouldn’t be a C+ (hence the /B-), but he’s got definite shortcomings: he’s allergic to contact, and he is guilty of bailing on plays where he might get hit, which sometimes leads to scoring chances against. Defensively, he’s not great, but then he’s not nearly as bad as some suggest. Campoli, Diaz, Emelin, and Weber are all at least as suspect defensively, and Kaberle’s shortcomings were magnified by not having a steady partner. Still, he was the Habs’ most offensively productive D after Subban during his time here.

Travis Moen – C+/B- – A lunchbucket player who overachieved offensively this season, he’d probably warrant a higher rating but for all the time he missed this year, which prevented him from showing that his first half wasn’t a blip. Moen works hard, plays it safe, and tries to protect his mates. He doesn’t have a lot of skill, but he got lucky with a shooting percentage of 20%, and for a while looked like he could hit close to 20 goals! That surely would have tapered off over the year. Still, Moen is a reliable 3rd-liner, and I hope the Habs cam retain him.

Alexei Emelin – C – An over-aged rookie (somewhat), Emelin made a lot of friends among fans by bringing something to the line-up that they sorely needed: punishing hits. It certainly seemed as if opponents were a little more wary about crossing the blue line when Emelin was on the ice, and he nailed more than a few of them. Unfortunately, his defensive abilities were suspect in his first NHL season, and he finished with a team-worst -18. He seemed to tire down the stretch as well, which is not surprising. If Emelin can become more steady in his own end, and continue to wreck opponents with his body, he’ll be a valuable member of the D-corps down the line.

Brad Staubitz – C – Did the job he was asked to do, dropping his gloves (a lot) when games got physical. Impressed lots of people when he defended Emelin from a bonkers Ryan Malone from the bench, when none of his on-ice teammates would. He actually looked like a pretty reliable 4th-liner, skating hard, making safe plays, and finishing +2 with the Habs. He went out on a high note, scoring an empty-net goal in the team’s final game. I was skeptical at first, but if the price is right, he’d make a solid role player: he’s not a 4-minute goon or a liability on the ice. And you can tell his mates like him.

Mike Blunden – C – You could say pretty much the same things about Blunden as about Staubitz, except that Blunden is not really a scrapper. But he did what he was supposed to do, which was provide decent minutes while the top lines were catching a breather. I don’t think anyone had an issue with anything he did, but I don’t know that he did enough to warrant keeping him around. A role player on a team full of spare parts doesn’t look as good.

Chris Campoli – C- – Pretty much defined mediocrity all season long. Didn’t contribute offensively, played sorta soft, was generally underwhelming defensively but looked even worse because of his propensity for monster gaffes, like cross-crease passes a Pee Wee player would get benched for. Nice guy Randy Cunneyworth gave him extra ice-time as the season wound down, hopefully to help him audition for other teams. He’s a UFA this summer and I’d say we’ve seen the last of him in a Habs uni.

Full Breezer 4 Life

33. JohnBellyful says:

It’s pretty much a given that the next Habs GM will head straight to HIO ASAP to get his bearings and to pick up some free advice. I don’t want to disappoint so I’ve tackled the team’s main problem, a lack of scoring, and put together four lines that will add some punch to the offence next season:

I was talking to the duck
    Only one, but the light bulb really has to want to change
    Orange you glad I didn’t say banana
    That was no lady, that was my wife

Of course, coaches never stick with the same combinations so expect some line juggling:

I was talking to the banana
    Orange you glad that was no lady
    Only one but that was the duck
    I didn’t say my wife really has to want to change the light bulb

Or

That was my wife talking to the duck
    Orange you the glad banana
    That was no light bulb, I was, really
    I didn’t say only one lady has to want to change the but

34. Strummer says:

Anyone watching the Masters?

A UPS driver has made a wrong turn and taken the lead.

Q: When did UPS change to green shirts from the traditional browN?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

35. ed lopaz says:

the next GM will be relatively young and will have never been a GM

at the NHL level. thats one key reason why Savard is necessary.

it will be Brisebois.

the Savard hiring also opens the door for Roy to take the coaching position.

because with Savard in the mix, the GM will not be run over by an

aggressive Roy position.

it will be Savard’s final decision on player moves, and Roy will

accept Savard’s authority and experience.

as soon as Roy is eliminated from the Q playoffs, the announcement will be made.

Brisebois GM

Roy Coach

Savard gets the final say if there are any disagreements.

• habstrinifan says:

Plausible but wouldnt that have Brisebois between a rock and a hard place. Why would he leave Tampa to be put into a position where Savard is hands-on and Roy says hands off.

36. Cal says:

Didn’t know Radio-Canada had turned into the french language National Enquirer.
    The rumour mill will run fast and furious until either the Cup is won or the winning candidate is from a team that didn’t make the playoffs. If it is Brisebois, he will be hired AFTER the Norfolk Admirals -AHL team he is running- is out of the playoffs. That could be a week after the Stanley Cup is won.

37. habstrinifan says:

I hope every series in every round in playoffs is 4-0 wipeout. Dont want drawn out-playoffs with my HABS out.

Until it is posted on the Canadiens official web site it isn’t happening.

39. boonie says:

After enduring our abysmal season, we all want to know what results we can reasonably expect next season… But, knowing that HIO’s intelligentsia value facts over conjecture, I crunched a few numbers.

More specifically, I looked at all the teams that finished in the bottom 5 since the lockout and their improvement in points and rank over the next few years. Here goes.

The average bottom 5 team since the lockout, averaged 70.8 points (lo=56; hi=80.0). The average of the 16th place team during that stretch was 92.2 points. That means a bottom 5 team needs to improve by about 21 points to move into a playoff spot.

Over the six season spanning 2005-06 through 2010-11, 30 teams “bottomed out”. That includes multiple bottomings for Atlanta/Winnipeg (2), Chicago (2), Colorado (2), Edmonton (2), Florida (2), Los Angeles (3), NY Islanders (4), St. Louis (2), Tampa Bay (2), Washington (2), and Boston (2 – courtesy of Kessel).

Of those 30 teams, the average improvement was 11.4 points. That means a bottom 5 team is likely to stay out of the playoffs the next year unless they are 26th and have an average point improvement. But I digress.

7 teams covered the 21 point spread…

Pittsburgh (in 2006-07 with a staggering 47-point improvement)
    St. Louis (2006-07, 24)
    Washington (2007-08, 24)
    Philadelphia (2007-08, 39)
    Los Angeles (2009-10, 22)
    Colorado (2009-10, 26)
    Florida (2010-11, 22)

For those of you still following (or interested), that means two things. First, 23 teams didn’t come near improving enough to make the playoffs the next year. Second, Only two of the seven that showed meaningful improvement hurdled the 21 points with room to spare — Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

That tells me a couple of things. Either your team has to be in Pennsylvania or the city has to start with the letter “P”… All kidding aside, Pittsburgh drafted Crosby first overall in 2005, Malkin 2nd overall in 2004, Fleury first overall in 2003, and finally, Stall first overall in 2006. Clearly, this is a unique case.

Philadelphia was an odd ball (perhaps, someone with a better memory can help me)… they finished with 101, 56, 95, 99, 88, 106 and 103 points from 2005-06 through 2011-12. Not sure what happened in 2006-07, but it’s an outlier of near-biblical proportions.

Noteworthy exclusions are the Blackhawks and Capitals. Chicago grabbed Kane and Toews who are the foundation for a Cup and consistent ascent to the elite. Washington leapt from two 70 point seasons to 94, 108, 121. Again great talents picked early propelled them.

This suggests, sadly, we are in for at least one more non-playoff year. But, grabbing a great talent could help be the pivot point for the long term.

• HardHabits says:

My prediction is the Habs finish 20th next season but the Bulldogs finish in the AHL top 10.

I also believe that if the Habs put everything into next season to just eke into the play-offs as they have done in the past it will be another 20 years of a Stanley Cup futility.

• JF says:

I have to agree. I don’t see next year’s team being a lot better than this year’s. We need patience. The worst mistakes we could make would be to hand out inflated, long-term contracts to free agents, to deal prospects or picks for aging veterans, or to rush our young players – mistakes we have been making for twenty years and which have produced the cycle of futility this season’s disaster gives us an opportunity to escape. Players like Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Gallagher will need at least a year, probably two, in the AHL. Playing fourth-line minutes in Montreal or being a spare defenceman will not help development as much as playing top line minutes in Hamilton. Our young players will have a chance to help build the Bulldogs into a winning team, which will be valuable experience for when they become NHL players.

• RetroMikey says:

We won’t make the playoffs next season is my prediction.
        We are not good as we want us to be.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

40. Jocko says:

I have been up in the air about the whole GM thing, but I really like what I read about Julien brisebois. He seems to be a guy who would surround himself with the right people to get the best job done.

As for anybody on this site who thinks Mcguire is even a candidate, look up his body of work (which one poster has summed up nicely), and also see a recent post about the insight that McGuire is lucky enough to have over all of us regular fans. i don’t want this guy’s name brought up in GM discussions!

As for Roy, I admit I do not know what kind of system he teaches in Quebec, but I do know that dealing with young men 17-20 is not easy. I have never heard that Roy created problems with his teammates. I think he would make a good coach, but he would need good people surrounding him.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

41. jon514 says:

Hang on. Savard doesn’t want the GM job, but he wants another job? Is this confirmed, cause it sounds like nonsense to me.

42. H.Upmann says:

Looks like a sort of adviser buffer between Molson and the next GM? Guess it’d be an indirect way of staying in the loop about the GM’s decisions etc

43. habstrinifan says:

OK…Serious question.

Now that high-profile former player, hall-of-famer. take no BS from anybody, last Stanley Cup winner as GM etc.. Savard has de facto become the ‘face’ of management.

And with withdrawals of Brisson Damphousse etc..

Does it make it easier for the team to expand the search and possibly hire a GM like Jim Nill, if not him.

One can say that the ‘french communication’ requirement has been covered.???

• HabFab says:

Savard is too old to be long term so I think no, it will be a francophone. And there are good candidates, more so then Coaches IMO.

• habstrinifan says:

Hiring Savard in that position could be setting the groundwork for the hiring of a GM with not so much experience but purported huge potential.Savard could be a sort of ‘touch base with’ advisor in the .not so long term’. Candidate that best meets that criterion. Brisebois from Tampa

May I refer you to the following link… scroll to the GM candidates pros-cons ratings and see what you think.

Looks like some smart minds working in Savard’s hire.

• mrhabby says:

You might think that….given the balance of french and English is covered. I still think the gm and coach will be Franco.

44. mrhabby says:

I kind of thought this would happen..I consider savard as yesterday’s man. But iam sure Molson wants a person who is wise , trusted, has a presence and garners some respect.

Molson not waiting long to set up mgmnt structure. Hope he waits until after the 1st round to snag a coach or gm, there will be fallout.

45. sreuel says:

Remember when Savard was going to buy the team and he said his first choice for coach was who won the last Stanley cup on 93

• Chuck says:

Demers?

___________________________________________________

46. sreuel says:

Every day will be a new rumor we won’t know until the day they say who will be. Once this day comes there will be a lot of people mad at who they picked.

47. boing007 says:

What a press conference that would be. No one would be able to get a word in edgewise cuz Foghorn would hog the microphone and let fly with the puns. Very quotable ones too.

Richard R

48. JUST ME says:

I do not trust Leclerc nor do i trust most of the habs reporters who are ready to sell their mother to get a scoop. They can print a total lie ,like the Roy story and still get all the credit when actually they should be either fired or suspended. Unfortunately i live in a small planet where the sports reporters are in love with the sport and does not have to bitch everyday and be negative all the time…

49. Stev.R says:

That was a good Beatles cover in that second video

50. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Would be great news is it turns to be true…Savard as V.P.
    My choices for GM
    1. P. ROY
    2. P. MCGUIRE
    3. K. LOWE

51. novahab says:

Jack Todd your a coward and here is why.

“You could yank any fan off St. Antoine St. on game night and find a better GM than Pierre Gauthier. ”

Nice comment, kick a man when he is down. I agree PG needed to be fired but please anyone off the street. Where were your brave comments when Patches was layed out on the ice and Gary (the crook) Bettman called it a hockey play. LOL I m sure your tail was between your legs. There has been many a night the refs have completely screwed this team over ,but Mr. Todd would not write a word. Oh my Mr. Todd you are the big bad hunter, with the big gauge shot gun. The only thing you hunt are fish in a barrel. I hope you have a big smile every time you open your pay check. PG was alot better GM then you’ll ever be a reporter.
    You could yank any fan off St. Antoine St. on game night and find a better reporter than Jack Todd. Oh quick Jack stick your tail between your legs and run . T think I hear Gary Bettman coming!

• habstrinifan says:

Overblown response to a standard piece of sports reporting.

• steve17 says:

Actually out of all the “writers” I find Todd to be the most honest when covering the Habs. He does not sugar coat anything or pull punches because what he says would be unpopular with the people who run the team.

Habfan17

52. RobertAlanFord says:

Regarding last night’s game: PK Subban, holy crap, where the f was that all year?!

Just sayin’……..

• novahab says:

Simple he was told not to do it. Thats ok Roy will set him free wait till next year. I am predicting PK will score over 80 points if not more.

• RobertAlanFord says:

They have to let these guys do their thing and adjust the system accordingly. I thought his play was brilliant and it sends a clear message that he’s fully capable of being a star d man in this league if you let him. The whole stick to the script thing in MTL has got to go.

• Cal says:

Dmen logging 20+ minutes cannot be a minus to the team by taking too many chances. All out offense = pucks in your own net or the Edmonton Oilers. You want the Habs to perpetually suck? Play like that.

• HardHabits says:

The Habs averaging 16th over-all since their last Cup win is perpetually sucking.

• Cal says:

@HH- Yeah, finishing first in the conference with Carbo and going to the ECF 2 years ago is perpetually sucking. Doh!

53. New says:

I hope this is true. Owners shouldn’t have to do press damage control.

54. HabFab says:

If this is confirmed, then me thinks that indicates Molson will be going for a young guy as GM with a built in adviser.

55. Bill says:

I guess Molson trusts Savard, which makes sense, but I hope this doesn’t mean that Savard will have any kind of say or veto on hockey ops in terms of personnel or on-ice stuff. Savard is a wise old hockey guru, but he’s from another age. The new GM needs to be someone with a handle on the CBA, the cap, and a sense of which players are the right kind of players today. This is where Savard could be a hindrance.

But I don’t know what else Savard could be there for? Any GM coming in is going to want and NEED autonomy; hope this doesn’t scare any good candidates off. It won’t, as long as Savard promises that any incoming GM won’t be subject to interference: Savard is a credible guy who will keep his word.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habstrinifan says:

Aaaah Bill. See you are fraught with questions as I am. But I think Savard may indeed be able to have an arms-lenth relationship while being ‘there’ to off advice , as asked, and to keep spirits up when things get hairy.

What this announcement seems to indicate is that the new GM will probably be just a tad short on experience.. ok with me as long as he is quick learner and has great team. It sure sounds like Brisebois from Tampa. See the pros-cons evaluation made re Brisebois at ‘eye on the prize” which I linked to in previous thread.

Interesting timing. Could it be the GM announcement will be sooner than expected… or could it be it will be more delayed and so this ensures proper representation at the draft etc….to aide L Carriere.

Love this stuff!

• Cal says:

Yeah, Savard is from the age when the Habs won Cups. Savard knows hockey while Molson says he isn’t a hockey man.
      His role is as a trusted advisor to Molson until the Habs announce anything different. This “story” is just that: another made up lie told by a “reporter.” Martin Leclerc should stick to what he knows: writing fiction.

56. HabFab says:

I’m sorry Mike but, every time I have the misfortune to hear Brian Burke speak, Foghorn Leghorn is all I hear!!

57. alwayssunny says:

Sorry to say I missed that classic, two proud and mighty franchises going to war with so much at stake. I’m sure it was great.

58. smiler2729 says:

Duh, um, Habs is good, uh huh uh huh uh huh, duh

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
    Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.