Savard speaks about GM search

SP  POLLOCK.jpg

Former Habs GM Serge Savard, who team president Goeff Molson asked to help him select a new GM for the Canadiens, spoke with Mitch Melnick, Rod Francis and Chris Nilan on TSN 990 late Thursday afternoon. You can listen to audio of the interview here).

Among his remarks, Savard said he would not be a candidate for the GM’s job himself (which will disappoint many, including The Gazette’s Red Fisher) and he would not speculate on whether there might be a position for him with the club after the new GM has been selected. “I’m 66 years old and I spent 33 years in the Montreal Canadiens organization. I’m very happy to help in this process but, believe me, I won’t interview myself.”

Asked by Melnick what the top qualification of a new GM would be, he replied “judgement.” He also said a being a former player was a plus, and referenced himself and Bobby Clarke as two GMs who were former players with no previous management experience.

Melnick asked pointedly about Pierre McGuire, who repeated earlier on the program that afternoon what he has said before, that while he is very happy with his job at NBC, he would be interested in talking about the Canadiens GM job. Savard remarked, “Sure, he’s a nice person, I’ve been to his golf tournament, two years ago, three years ago in Tremblant. He’s a good person, very good person. Tell him to come down, play golf (with me) in Hilton Head.”

Savard said he didn’t really know what the time frame for a decision would be, but “as quick as possible,” but he’s not saying 10 days or two weeks. “We’ll see how it goes.”

Commenting on the current state of the franchise, Savard said, “As a former Canadien, as a former manager, and Chris is there too, to talk about that, it’s painful when you see that, when you see your favorite team. In football, I’m a Packers fan and when I see the Packers go down, I’m hurt. We had the CH on our chests our whole lives and it hurts. In my case when I was let go as a manager and when I saw everything what happens after, it hurts. We want the Canadiens to be the team that it was before….We have to find the right person that’s going to bring back the tradition of the Montreal Canadiens for the next generation to come.”

1. Habs4Lyfe says:

Habs 4 Lyfe
    when Serge said ‘We have to find the right person that’s going to bring back the tradition of the Montreal Canadiens for the next generation to come.’

who better than Patrick Roy, bring him in, we need that FIRE he has to permeate thru the organization….we need Carey Price to be the warrior leader like Roy was ,,, Go Habs Go

2. Kingofswing74 says:

it doesnt make anyone else a tad uncomfortable, that on a day as iconic as yesterday was, you have the owner strictly saying he will not be limited by language in the gm selection process, while you have his advisor stating the opposite? saying that the gm has to speak french, apparently without consulting the owner. you would think the two would have agreed on what to tell the media before embarking on such an important venture as this, with such strong political ties.

3. CalgaryHab says:

I not sure how much I like Savard being apart of the selection process. Although he was at the helm of our last cup he also is the author of trading Leclair, Desjardin and Dionne for Recchi. In my opinion that’s when the slide started and the club developed an inexplicable distain for power forwards that can score.

4. joewindsor habfan says:

If and when you consider Mc Guire, think of Matt Millen of the Detroit Lions. all fluff and no idea on how to run or manage a club. the habs will be doomed for the next 10 years because of his actions.

5. Habsrule1 says:

I’d like Mcguire to get an interview for the GM job. If anyone has an interview and shows they know more about players in every league in the world more than he does, then take that guy…..quickly!
    If not, McGuire should be the next GM of your Montreal Canadiens. Perhaps Pierre would bring in an assistant or two to help him with any shortcomings (I’m not sure how much of a capologist he is, for example). Surround yourself well, but the GM shold know players and evaluate talent correctly, and I think McGuire is that guy.

Go Habs Go!!

• j0nHABS says:

When Savard was asked about McGuire being the GM he said that “he is a nice guy”, plays golf with him. I believe the nice guy comment is more or less “not a F-ing chance”. If Molson and Savard want people to like there choice they wouldn’t touch McGuire with a 10 foot pole. Too many people hate the guy. It would just piss off the fans!

Well if the criteria is knowing lots of hockey names and stuff then we should add Liam McGuire to the mix, i have heard him say lots of names.

6. j0nHABS says:

In response to the language debate:

Looking for the right GM is a hard and difficult one. Montreal is a special place in the hockey world and the fans deserves a GM that is going to bring back the HABS to there former glory. That said, I as a fan do not care if the GM speaks french or not. I do care if the coach speaks french. The coach is going to be handling interviews every other day at post game talks as well as some practices. The coach should be able to communicate with media in both languages. The GM, however, does not really speak to the media on a regular basis. As long as when the new GM speaks to the media it is not a vague, and disconnected tone that we are used to with PG then I see no harm if he can speak only English.
    I want the guy who can ice the best team to be able compete on a regular basis for Lord Stanley.
    French is important for the coach, not the GM.

• Habsrule1 says:

Both will speak French. You can take that to the bank.
      I agree that it should not be an issue, in either case really….but it is.
      You want the best GM possible, but not the best coach possible? Has it been that bad media-mise with Cunneyworth? People are surviving….even the French-speaking people.

Go Habs Go!!

I find the name Pat Brisson interesting, if for no other reason than his closeness to Sidney Crosby and the fact that after next season he could become an Unrestricted Free Agent.

• Habfan10912 says:

You always give a long term plan, Gerald. Do you speak French? :)

Haha, nope, but I speak a little bit of sloppy low German, but given the majority of Hab Fans are not Amish farmers I don’t think that will be very advantageous to the Team. :)

• Phil C says:

I was thinking the same thing. Mike Gillis in Vancouver has shown that an former player-agent can make a good GM, they certainly know how to structure contracts, assign market value, and negotiate. I have always been impressed when I’ve heard him speak. He has had success as a businessman, so he must have some leadership skills. I wonder if he is even interested?

8. Old Bald Bird says:

Hickey really wants JM back?! “… the Canadiens should look internally and bring back Jacques Martin, who is still under contract … the biggest mistake Gauthier made was firing Martin, who got the most out of a small, injury-decimated team in two playoff appearances. He deserves another kick at the can.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Line+forms+right+Montreal+Canadiens/6381498/story.html#ixzz1qb9dAQTe

• Hobie Hansen says:

To me Jacques Martin is in the same class as a Ken Hitchcock, Jacques Lemaire or even a Lindy Ruff. Martin used a very similar style of coaching as the above mentioned, a style that brought all of them a Stanley cup or a trip to the finals.

Unfortunately for Martin he had so many injuries to deal with and didn’t have the hall of fame players the other coaches did.

Hobie I understand your point, JM definitely brings structure and brings regular season success. My problem with JM was the fact he refused to want or allow his team to ever play a physical game, when it is clear that the NHL has no intention of reducing the physicality in today’s NHL.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t think you move the organization onward by bringing back the stultifying JM.

• Habfan10912 says:

I will pass. The fact he went with Darche over Cole on the PP. for a large part of the early season clinches it for me. Showed piss poor judgement.
      Clean start from top to bottom. No retreads if current regime please.

Good Morning James, well the changes have happened, and the next step in our teams journey begins. I too agree on the clean slate mantra. To rehire a coach who was tied to the group just relieved, would to me be a step backwards.

9. HABitual Fan says:

Please, please, PLEASE! Anyone (almost) but Pierre McGuire!!

“… it’s still better than cheering for the Leafs!”

10. HABZ24 says:

first of all : THANK YOU JEFF MOLSON !! should have fired that clown a lonnng time ago. PIERRE MCGUIRE is the BEST choice for next gm. super intelligant, hockey savvy,reasonable,has common sense,takes no crap but polite,well respected,yes bilingual,from mtl (lives in usa now for nbc gig but…),tutered under scotty bowman and bob johnson in pittsburg too. let mcguire come n and pick his own coach. we need to dump all the smurfs under 6 feet, ok 5,11. keep a core of 7 main players like pk,price,eller,max pac.. etc, build bigger stronger tuffer hardr to play against. THERES HOPE FOR NEXT YEAR IF MCGUIRE IS GM.

GO HABS GO

11. The Cat says:

JM was on L’Antichambre last night. Amazingly enough, he talked about the powerplay. Im just glad that Earth’s most uncharismatic trio (Gauthier, Gainey and JM) are finally gone. Lame, Lamer and Lamest.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Cat. I have a hard time finding much joy in Gainey’s dismissal although I think it was the right move. I cringe a bit when folks find joy or resort to calling him names not that you and others are within your rights. I just have a lot of affection for Bob and share somewhat in his personal tragedies he’s had to endure. He will always be #23 to me and I hope he finds peace in whatever he decides to Di next.
      Please do not take my comment personal as I really enjoy most of your post. This is more about my “blind” affection for BG. Cheers.

• The Cat says:

Good morning Habfan, its funny you say that. I was going to say in my above post that “I dont know why I hate that trio so much.” I cant explain it. I dont even care that much about the habs. Maybe its because I could feel their overtheboard stubborness.

12. dicktracy says:

Hello,

Does anyone know if and where I can stream the game tomorrow morning? Something to watch over breakfast. I’m in Chaing mai. Hard to do stuff on these dam opiates.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You have to be patient to wait for ad over screen to time-out …usually 30 seconds to one minute
      …do not click on any notices saying You need to download anything
      …hope that helps :)
      …what are You doing in Chiang Mei ? …teaching
      …I use to visit CM for business and trekking in the North
      …hope You’re having fun …all the best

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• dicktracy says:

Thanks,

Over visiting a couple of sweet granddaughters. Obviously a story for if we happen to meet..

Also a ‘business trip. I own a south east Asian restaurant in Canada so I can check out my taste buds; when I stop the codeine tomorrow, got the bronchitis, not the first time I’ve cought that over here. Oh well, beats working.

Thanks for the info.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

Patrick Kennedy, Toronto Sun: ‘Muller a force behind Hurricanes bench’

…read & weep :(

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• The Cat says:

Good article. I think a coach today has to be a players coach, I dont think there’s another way around it anymore.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…isn’t it crazy most of Us recognized in Muller as being the answer to a better Coach for the Montreal Canadiens than the drone, Martin ? …and all those (Gainey/Gauthier) highly paid ‘hockey-minds’ could not ?
        …Bouchard and Kirk in Our hands …and Bob & Pierre could not recognize what They had
        …really sad

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• The Cat says:

I especially liked the part about “needing good body language’ from his captain. Kirk understands that he too as coach must be this way -something JM severely lacked in.

14. jeu_de_puissance says:

Anyone else cheered up by the fact that the Leafs are abysmal? When’s the last time we lost 7-1 (Knock on wood)? Perhaps they are throwing the season for a high draft pick. Either way, this is a franchise without any pride. I can hold my chest up high knowing, although with limited talent on the ice, our Habs have played hard night in and night out. If not for themselves then for all of us, knowing they have a loyal (and critical) fan base, still paying attention this late in the season and with nothing but a high draft pick on the line.

It’s bittersweet to see Toronto sinking to a new low this late in the season. Our prospect coming up are better, our history is undoubtedly better and there is much to look forward to vis a vis that loser organization in Toronto.

Not only that, but we’ve as of yesterday, rid ourselves of our biggest problem. The future is bright.

Can’t F#*k with history!!!

15. nickster13 says:

Looking at the standings, i feel sorry for canadian hockey fans. Leafs and Habs and Oilers are cellar dwellers, and the Jets and Flames are not making the playoffs. Leaving only 2 playoff teams, as it stands, with Ottawa fading and the Canucks missing Daniel Sedin. Pitiful time to be a canadian hockey fan!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

ERIC DUHATSCHEK, globeandmail.com; ‘Don’t expect magical turnaround in Montreal’: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/cbc-searches-for-someone-to-take-hockey-nights-helm/article2386612/

“…The priority in Nashville will be to get defencemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber signed to long-term contract extensions this summer, and if that means Radulov’s stay there is short, well, he becomes an asset that they can dangle on the market. What if the Canadiens target both Yakupov and Radulov as two high-end talents to plug into a lineup? Add them without subtracting others and suddenly, the talent gap doesn’t seem nearly as wide.

In a perfect world, the next generation of Habs stars would be named Giroux and Bergeron, not Yakupov and Radulov. But if you can’t have the Flying Frenchmen, maybe the Racing Russians can be the next best thing.”

…sounds GOOD to Me :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. H.Upmann says:

Bowman and Savard calling McGuire a good guy… Not like they can actually say he’s a know-it-all or a sheisshead

18. slychard says:

The inevitable finally happened.
    I only wish it had happened yesterday.
    I don’t mean that in a figurative manner but a literal way…I had yesterday off and spent it doing absolutely nothing with HIO on an open page the whole day yet never felt compelled to post anything.
    (not that any of you care or missed me… perhaps my avatar, but I digress)
    Point is I learned of the big clean up from a text by a friend while I was at work. 12 hour day today. But I managed to sneak in a few headlines on my Iphone.
    Thank God we live in the age of the Jetsons.

Elroy! Stop that crazy thing!!!!

So I just got home and showered and see even more activity on HIO. I got a lot of reading to do. I feel like I missed the boat. Why oh why did you not fire them yesterday!
    Regardless, I am ecstatic for the future of my favorite club.
    Why?
    An intangible.
    I read the piece from Fisher (in the restroom, at work, while doing #2, the usual setting I have this past season reading him, when and only if I feel constipated) yet this time I was pleasantly surprised, not that he was a laxative I normally use his reading for lately, but I felt I was reading the Red of old. This was a great read. Excellent. It was the Red I grew up with. Reading and admiring.
    So.
    If this move by the club invigorates the old scrib from curmudgeon, stale, crusty, get off my lawn, remember the old days, and elevates him back to the astute, intelligent, mindful, unique-angle, INSIDE-VIEW of players without barging into their privacy and whatnot and back to his legendary status, then I’m all for it. A great article from him that brought me back.

Here’s another reason why things are looking good for our club.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been around long enough, (in the corporate world while doing radio, and the real world), to see this as not only condescending but a slap in the face.
    For anyone imagining this Savard statement as an endorsement as a possible positive candidacy for the GM position would make you either very young or naive.
    McGuire has about as much chance of getting this gig as he has of, let’s take the most implausible of scenarios, going back to the future and getting laid by Rachel Welch in her hay-day. Her dinosaur whatever-animal-skinned-bikini-poster days was.
    Heck! Let’s make it a plausible angle.
    Rachel Welch now! Who at 60 some-odd years still looks fantastic. Would be a long shot for the man. So in other words, McGuire is not a candidate for this gig. I can rest easy.

Good times are ahead folks. Let’s party.

I got a lot of reading to do. I’ll do it while listening to the Savard interview.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

19. Un Canadien errant says:

Big big news from Montréal today, and welcome news, in that Mr. Pierre Gauthier has been relieved of his duties as the Canadiens General Manager. Also, Bob Gainey, who was working as an advisor to the GM, was informed that his contract which expired this summer will not be renewed.

Not that these gentlemen were bad people or incompetent, but the results speak for themselves, both when using the ‘Parcells test’ while looking at the standings, and also in the erosion of talent from the roster over the last year, and of prestige from the organization. Mr. Gainey’s gambit to go for a small skilled team that would skate the opposition into the ground was ultimately undone by the CABAL of Jeremy Jacobs, Colin Campbell and Don Cherry, who are steering the game back to the dark days of the brawling seventies and the clutch and grab nineties.

The relationship between the team and its managers was no longer beneficial or workable, so it was time to part ways with these two gentlemen and go in a new direction. A paradoxical angle is that many commentors today applauded the move, but also pined for organizational stability, and lauded the Buffalos and Nashvilles of the league who stick with their GM-Coach combinations year after year, through thick and thin.

One encouraging aspect of today’s announcement was the performance of Geoff Molson. I had a favourable opinion of him since his interview at the start of the season on RDS, during which he said all the right things: his love of the Canadiens, the fact that he plays hockey himself and his sons do, how he spent time in the Canadiens online ticket-buying system so he could find out what the experience is like for the fans and how it could be improved. The fact that he was eloquent and spoke flawless French was a big plus. The clincher was his assertion that he would be an arms-length owner, and that while he would serve as President, he wouldn’t meddle in day-to-day operations, which was great news to those of us who don’t want a George Steibrenner or Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones in charge of the Canadiens.

Despite this great start, he was splattered by the rotten season the team endured. He was ridiculed when he gave the team and its staff a vote of confidence. He was derided by a number of fans as over his head, or vilified as a beer salesman who didn’t care about winning, but only for profits. It seemed he was cut little slack in having taken over a team that was having a measure of success in the playoffs and deciding to let the current managers continue their seeming good work. He also wasn’t given any credit for the fact that he had only been in the President’s office for less than a year.

Thankfully, his press conference today allayed a lot of fears and he seems to have bought himself some time and regained some credibility in the eyes of his critics. He again spoke of the history and tradition of the Canadiens, of how squeaking into the playoffs was not an indicator of success. He was honest on a number of topics, in both languages.

His main coup was the announcement that he had hired Serge Savard as his advisor for the candidate selection process. While Mr. Savard has been out of the NHL for a while, he still brings a lot of good judgment, connections and experience to the table. It speaks highly of Mr. Molson that he has the humility to share the spotlight and admit he needs help. This comes on the heels of reports that he has been seeking advice from pretty much anyone he could in the last few weeks, so he is genuine in asking for help, it’s not a publicity stunt.

There’s not much to add to the torrent of positive comments with respect to Mr. Savard. It is a great indication that Mr. Molson understands that the Canadiens have a few advantages that other organizations don’t, one of which is a deep pool of qualified, talented men to build an organization with. One of the talking heads spoke in contrast and unflatteringly of the Leafs and quipped: “I wonder if Brian Burke is calling Bill Derlago for advice?”

To have resources like Serge Savard and not use them is borderline sabotage. It seems that Geoff Molson ‘gets it’, and he will capitalize on the strengths of his team.

Another advantage the Canadiens have is this hereditary, generational, visceral attachment that the team has with its fans. Mr. Molson again shows that he gets it by stating clearly that having a GM who can speak French is important, if not a mandatory qualification. While this is grist for the mill for those who reflexively repeat that the Canadiens should hire ‘the best qualified candidate’, this can be addressed in two ways.

One is the veritable plethora of candidates who are rattled off when the speculation begins as to who will replace Mr. Gauthier. There are at least half a dozen very qualified candidates who are bilingual and can step into the role, some holding Assistant GM positions currently and being considered as ready by hockey people to take the next step. Vincent Damphousse is a smart guy who owns businesses and who in his time on the NHLPA bargaining committee got to know the Collective Bargaining Agreement exhaustively. Pat Brisson is a very respected player agent who is touted by analysts as the next one to go to the other side of the table and become a GM. If anything, there may be too many candidates to interview.

It is clear to see that the requirement to speak French will not prevent the team from interviewing many qualified candidates. The ‘best qualified’ candidate is an elusive beast. It’s not always clear who is the best candidate. There’s no objective test. If there was, there wouldn’t be so many subsequent dismissals, in the hockey world and in the real world.

In reality, the person that tends to get hired is the person that has a strong enough résumé to get on a short list, and then impresses the hiring committee with their personal qualities, the force of their ideas and the fit with the organization. It’s not like the World’s Strongest Man or a cage brawl where there is an objective, indisputable champion. Out of the short list, you usually feel good about two or three candidates, and then you hope to choose the right one.

There is no unemployed Sam Pollock out there without any warts who will be denied a chance at employment because he doesn’t speak French. All those mythical ‘best qualified’ candidates, those who have talent and experience, are either currently employed or were let go from somewhere else because they were found wanting. When the analysts on TSN were asked, after providing the exhaustive list of bilingual potential candidates, to provide a few names of candidates who don’t speak French, they could only muster a couple of unmemorable suggestions.

Which brings us to the other way we can address the ‘best candidate’. If Mr. Molson understands that the attachment between the fans and the team is a strength we can capitalize on, then he knows he has to nurture that bond, feed it. To do so, he has to, as we did in the past by design and by accident, ensure that there is local representation on the team, that Québec boys are stars and heroes and win the Cup and create another generation of boys who want to grow up and be a Canadien too. This kind of attachment is priceless. Or rather, we may find out the price or the advantage if we are able to sign P.A. Parenteau this summer at a hometeam discount. We need to have more generations of little hockey players who identify with the team and would give anything to play here, instead of the deplorable Daniel Brière situation, where a homeboy chose for various reasons to stay away.

We need our managers to understand this, and to do everything in their power that more David Desharnais and Alexandre Burrows are discovered instead of slipping through the cracks. Serge Savard has spoken ably on the subject, and it is reassuring that he will recommend we hire a GM who shares this philosophy.

It should be an exciting end of season now, as opposed to what we thought as recently as yesterday, that the remaining five games would be a Bataan Death March. Instead they’ll be the background action to the main players. Let’s hope that we end up with a young, talented, bright GM who quickly hires Patrick Roy, uh, I mean our next coach, and sets us up well in anticipation of the draft in June.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• slychard says:

Hey there ERRANTSOUL, Here’s a (loving) rebuttal to your post.

I stated in a not too distant post earlier that the hiring of BG was a God-send, it put us back on track of respectability in the NHL…
      Obviously, that did not work out. For different intangibles.

Intangible A: The NHL pledge’d to keep the now relinquished red line as a vessel for speed and talent thus leaving the crafty, smart, fast and skillful players to go about without the old cluthch’ing, grabbing, trapping tactics of coaches (Jacque Lemaire the evil spawn) from talentless goons of old to lead the league. That did not happen. Far from it. It became worst.
      Campbell did his worst (best) to get a cup in his family tree. He got it. He’s still in the woods. I deal with the public and when the subject broached it all comes down to shame. The league is not credible after the bruins cup…from MTL, Van, Chi, NY, and timbuktu… Fraud.

I have a hard time getting over Bettman…from day one.

Forget about intangible B C D or stich

Let me put it this way, the NHL not only reneged on their promise but led the one franchise on a wayward path and

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not much of a rebuttal slychard, it seems we agree. Again.

The Bruins didn’t win the Cup, they were given it by the CABAL. We were robbed. Bob Gainey pays the price.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• slychard says:

Sure. Them fighting words. But I stopped that years ago (fighting) So… I’m fighting you telepathically and, somewhat, remorsefully and, having a hard time doing it because my great laughter from reading you gives me pause, so, it’s a difficult task, It’s a I’m not doing it because you doing it because…

Ha ha and make sense of that…my peace offering.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• HardHabits says:

One of your better posts in quite a while. Well written and easy to read, even though it was lengthy, again… and as usual. ;-)

Your only flaw as usual are the creepy Gauthierisms, especially in the case when using a first and last name.

20. English is not a Crime says:

The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

“Savard said the next GM does not have to be from Quebec, nor a French Canadian, but he “has to be able to communicate to the people in French. If my guy doesn’t speak English, he’s not qualified either, because he has to communicate with the people in English as well.””

So the Habs still insist on handicapping themselves in a way that the other 29 teams don’t, by opting for silly discriminations over things that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual job at hand instead of opening things to all applicants and judging which is the best qualified to have the most success in putting a successful team together. It should be, if the best qualified candiate is French, we will hire the French one, if it is someone English, we will hire them, not we need someone who can speaqk French (and/or English) first and then see if they can do the job after that. What a shame….

• English is not a Crime says:

If the best GM is a mute woman from Belarus… hire her and screw the whole language nonsense already.
      Nope, they’ll never learn and just keep playing this stupid game over and over.

• The Dude says:

When you live in Canada you live in one of the GREATEST COUNTRIES of this shrinking Airport of a World and it’s a Bi-lingual country by LAW!

• Chris says:

Right.

And how many Canadians are officially bilingual? 20%? 30%? Are you trying to tell me that the majority of Canadians are breaking the LAW, as you call it?

Of course not. Canada is not bilingual by law, it provides services in both official languages by law. There is a difference.

And there isn’t a private company in the country who would face fines or worse for being unilingual.

I happen to believe the candidate should be bilingual, but if a fantastic unilingual candidate came along then you hire them and spend on some language lessons for the next 6 months to a year.

Unfortunately, there quite simply aren’t all that many can’t miss GM candidates out there, English or French. And when comparing candidates of similar stature, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with using fluency in both English and French as the deciding factor.

• slychard says:

it shrinks slower than your cells. dude. we have time +++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind, based on your handle.

Have you seen the list of putative candidates? Yet you still feel that the Canadiens would be ‘handicapped’ by choosing from such a deep pool of talented hockey people? You’re arguing a theoretical point that does not apply. The requirement does not in effect restrict the quality of candidates, what it does is augment the chance that the eventual GM will be a better organizational fit.

Also, nobody cares that the candidate ‘be English’ or ‘be French’, just what languages they speak. They don’t need to be from London or Paris.

Finally, language requirements are routine in candidate selection processes all over the world.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• English is not a Crime says:

Did you actually read the message you responded to? Your response didn’t match what was posted. What does language have to do with sports exactly? Those issues belong in politics, not on sports teams.

• The Jackal says:

Your handle and post are the real shame. Next.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…English is not a Crime, true, …but the Montreal Canadiens ARE The Montreal Canadiens !
      …I really, for the Life of Me do not understand how You can be a Hab Fan and not understand that the majority of Our Fan-base is Francophone
      …I can just imagine how, if Alain Vigneault was unilingual Francophone, how THAT would go down out here on the Wet Coast, or similar with Pierre Lacroix President of the Colorado Avalanche in Blue Sky Country
      …comments like Yours, EINAC, leave Me …hmmm …befuddled :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• English is not a Crime says:

Funny, I thought being the Montreal Canadiens meant that they prided themselves on being the best franchise in the league. Glad you corrected me in pointing out that being bilingual is more important than winning here. It’s a true shame because winning USED to be first and foremost and the bilingual horse crap didn’t used to be an interference in that… of course that was prior to 1980 when they used to WIN CUPS HERE. 2 Cups in 32 yrs since then clearly show that there’s no downside to the discrimination they’ve opted for since then though right?

Before the conquest when the church took over and changed our names back to Christian ones my ancestors mingled with the locals. You can see the traces in many people here in Quebec. Many if not most of us habitants have roots that go back before our European heritage landed.

You can so see it in Serge Savard.

22. blu_blanc_rouge says:

These posts should be restricted to a limited number of words, like twitter. Do you really think we ready your 10 paragraph posts about a junior game in Guelph??

23. BKAK72 says:

This is what pains me:

1. I can’t believe the last time the Canadiens mattered was the 1988/89 season, perhaps the strongest roster ever put together when measured against the parity and dynasty era of the 1980s.

2. The last Stantley Cup won was in 1993.

3. Likely 40% (maybe more) of the users on this site have never sean the HABS win it all and consider me a dinosaur fan.

What a shame…

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

So, I guess today was the first day of the new era? Will that era be good? Will Habs ever return to being a contender?

I feel philosophical.

• matt jordan says:

It will be a new era next season.
      New General Manager, new coach, new top draft pick, who will undoubtedly be the new Franchise…

But thank gawd Gauthier is gone.

• The Dude says:

Timo as long as this former Great Sports Team becomes great on the ice and not just in our minds I’ll be a happy,happy Habs fan.On a great note,I can’t recall a Serge Savard run team to ever be pushed around!

25. immortalhab says:

You need to keep DD on the first line. He’s responsible for a lot of scoring and setting up. Plus, Leblanc needs to be on the second line. He would really blossom, but like a lot of promising players, he needs to play with some decent offense and get more ice time.

I think that Timo, Hard Habits and Bugs should be interviewed as a GM group.
    I’ll coach with Punkster and Chuck.

27. FanCritic says:

If I was to access this team right now as far as who I would think about keeping, here they are.

1st = Cole ????? Pacioretty
    2nd = ????? Desharnais Gionta
    3rd = Moen? Plekanec? Bourque?
    4th = ????? Eller ?????

The Question marks are where we have to look for scoring.
    The 3rd line Question marks if we can upgrade the scoring, they’re gone.
    Don’t think I’m GM material, just MO on changes for next year….

• Ozmodiar says:

- Eller isn’t a 4th line player. Slide all 3 centers up one line. If they draft a center, they’ll sort it out in a year or two by making a trade or moving someone to the wing.
      - Ryan White?

28. remi_10069 says:

How do I apply for the GM job? If PG can get it with his miserable CV, why can’t I?

pipes

29. remi_10069 says:

i like vinny-D for GM. He’s a smart guy, charisma, knowledge, toughness and confidence. He will be respected unlike PG. We’re a couple of moves away…

pipes

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…that photo of Serge recalls to Me what a promising exciting Player He was BEFORE He broke His legs
    …He ultimately still became one of Our’s and hockey’s all-time best defensemen …but if Serge had not broken (multiple times) His leg, He would have been one of the all-time most exciting skating offensive D-men in NHL history …not all that far behind Bobby Orr
    …the term ‘spinnerama’ was coined by legendary play-by-play man Danny Gallivan specifically for Serge Savard

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• DorvalTony says:

You mean “legs,” he broke both of them. He was just as good afterwards but he rarely did the Doug Harvey end to end offensive thing.

2012: Death of the Boivin Doctrine

• Habitant in Surrey says:

… ‘…but he rarely did the Doug Harvey end to end offensive thing.’
        …well, BEFORE He broke His legs …He DID ‘do those/that ‘Doug Harvey’ end to end offensive ‘thing”
        …AFTER He broke His legs, He rarely did
        …aren’t We saying ‘the same thing’ Tony ?
        …BIG difference in the speed and flamboyance of Savard’s skating ability when He arrived as a rookie & post His broken legs

PS: …Doug was the greatest offensive/defensive Dman for His time (with exception of Orr, all-time), …but I never saw Doug Harvey skate with the flair and abandon of Serge Savard when first arrived as a rookie

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

31. Chris says:

I went to the Game 4 of the Guelph Storm – Plymouth Whalers OHL playoff series tonight. The game was pretty decent. Goaltender Scott Wedgewood was outstanding for the Whalers tonight, but the game was marred by some absolutely brutal officiating.

Sometimes, you have to go to lower level hockey games to appreciate just how good the NHL officials are, despite their frequent mistakes. OHL officials are just terrible more often than not. The refs tonight (Dave Lewis, who has been involved in a few questionable incidents in his 5 year run as an OHL ref including possibly giving a Oshawa Generals player advice on how to score on a Peterborough Petes goaltender during a penalty shot, and Garrett Rank) absolutely lost control…a blatant high-stick was missed and led to the victimized player taking an abuse of official misconduct when he protested after the opposition went end-to-end and scored while he was down on the ice bleeding while another player took numerous unanswered punches during a goal mouth scrum and was given an abuse of official misconduct when he protested the fact that off-setting roughing minors were given. With the Guelph Storm on the short end of both calls in what had been a close game to that point, their coach (former NHL enforcer Scott Walker) took a bench minor for abuse of officials…he was absolutely volcanic for about 10 minutes but the referees wouldn’t go anywhere near the Storm bench to explain their reasoning.

And as with all junior hockey games, when tempers are running that hot and the referees have lost all control of the game, things escalated. A Storm defenceman was checked hard from behind with just under 2 minutes to go in a 5-2 Plymouth game by 6’5″ Jamie Devane, who ended up with a 2 minute cross-checking penalty and a 5 minute checking from behind penalty on a play that knocked Andrey Pedan out of the game.

Should make for an interesting Games 5 and 6…the series is now tied 2-2 as the underdog Storm took the first two games off the heavily favoured Whalers, who entered the playoffs ranked 6th in Canada. I suspect we won’t be seeing either of these referees again in the series. The fans were absolutely livid leaving the arena…first time I’ve ever seen people disgustedly throwing things on the ice, and I was disappointed to see at least one fan try to spit on the referees as they left the ice. Guelph has long been one of the most docile home rinks in the country, so it was a pretty surprising turn of events. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the report Chris. Any rooting interest here, or are you scouting for future talent?

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Chris says:

I’ve been cheering for the Storm for the past decade or more, but it is also a nice opportunity to watch some future players.

The Storm have 3 relatively high ranked players for this summer’s draft: defenceman Matt Finn (15th, NA skaters) and forwards Scott Kosmachuk ( 23rd, NA skaters) and Tanner Richard (58th NA skaters). I’ve been very high on Finn since he was a 16 year old…he’s not in the same class as Drew Doughty, but he has a similar body and style of play. He should be a nice grab for somebody in the bottom half of the first round this year. I loved Kosmachuk at the start of the year…great skater, went into high-traffic areas of the ice and good skills. But he’s really disappointed me in the second half of the season.

For Plymouth, they don’t have much in the way of draft-eligible players as they were gunning for the OHL title this year. That being said, New Jersey seems to have found an heir apparent to Martin Brodeur in Scott Wedgewood, who played for Canada at the World Juniors. Wedgewood has been great through the playoffs…he’s absolutely phenomenal on the glove side. Ottawa’s first round pick last season, Stefan Noesen, has been the top point producer in the series. That being said, a bit of Heatleyitis…you don’t really notice him until you see he has 2 or 3 points.

I like going to junior games so that you can get a look at how these kids play when they don’t have the puck. Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown were two examples of former Storm players that I was sure would succeed in the NHL based on their hustle in junior hockey. On the other hands, I always had serious doubts about Manny Malhotra, Daniel Paille and Matt D’Agostini…they all had great skill but floated like crazy. They’ve all become NHL regulars, but perhaps not in the roles that were expected (Malhotra was drafted top 10, while Paille was expected to be a scoring winger in the NHL).

32. ProHabs says:

I wonder if Gomez feels at all guilty about the line of guys who are losing their jobs because of him.

33. Propwash says:

Just get the best. It’s that simple. Get the team back in its winning ways, ruthlessly. Enough of using the Habs as a political tool.
    It’s too bad the NHL is so watered down.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

34. Cal says:

Love the way Savard dodged Melnick’s mandatory McGuire question. “Come play golf” Hahahahahahhahahahahah!
    McGuire for GM. Give me a bleeping break.

• DorvalTony says:

I don’t understand it either. Some kind of cult thing. Even Scotty Bowman joined. Bizarre.

• matt jordan says:

I like this line:

Oh, the bitter irony if the GM could only speak french…

35. Storm Man says:

If Molson is true when he says to hire the best person for the job. Geoff here it is. GM Jim Nill ASST Larry Carriere. It’s very simple.

36. immortalhab says:

Thank God. No? Thank God.

Many will disagree with me but pride in one’s team is a major boost. I don’t want to take away from very talented foreigners but playing for the CH can’t possibly mean any different from playing for the Sharks.

I believe Savard will look for someone who will care. Thank God.