Sanford, White, Maxwell, Henry, Weber to ‘Dogs

The Canadiens have sent goalie Curtis Sanford, forwards Ryan White and Ben Maxwell and defencemen Yannick Weber and Alex Henry to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Habs are en route from Quebec to Toronto on a charter flight, arriving at their Toronto hotel late this afternoon. We’ll see if the team will make head coach Jacques Martin available to discuss the roster moves.

*  *  *

Will the team playing Brian Burke hockey take some penalties tomorrow night?

If so, these are the power-play units they’ll be facing, based on alignments at practice today:

First wave: Plekanec-Gomez-Gionta-Subban-Spacek

Second wave: Eller-AK46-Pouliot-Gorges-Picard

1. LA Loyalist says:

You could at least mention Pilsner Urquell once in a while, an excellent beer – or is it a Czech beer?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

2. topher5468 says:

I agree with that, As Habs fans we need to focus on players that are actually on OUR roster, Halak was a fine Canadien but as you eluded to he is now a Blue, Go habs and Price

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

3. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah I understand what you’re saying.

4. bwoar says:

Still too young to toss out.  Gimme a break, do you see how many D we have under contract for next year?  He’ll get another shot no problem.

You won’t be terribly impressed.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Anyone see Red FIsher’s column today?

He reckons the Hawks will have trouble repeating as champs after having had to get rid of all those players.

7. HabFanSince72 says:

Right.

Also, I’m not so sure Darche is a career AHLer. He seems not too bad to me.

8. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah that’s right – Alex Henry is a victim of the “French Media”.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Same reason Belle (Who was a great physical D in Hamilton) never stuck with the team. They have elements of NHL talents but they don’t have any NHL-level hockey sense, they just can’t react quickly enough against NHL players and take the appropriate actions and that can’t happen with defencemen.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. habaddict_andy says:

YOur greeting is taking up so much space.  What’s up with that?

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

11. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s gotta be hard for Laperriere, to be so close to the Cup that year and lose out and now being told he has to retire after pushing himself back into those playoffs.

Glad the doctors insisted he quit, no one should go through the rest of their life with such bad health from their playing days they can’t enjoy the rest of their life (or even remember their playing days!).

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. HabsFanMTL says:

its no surprise that they kept picard instead of alex henry, gawd knows we upset the french media by sending picard down

13. joeybarrie says:

Have you EVER posted anything without mentioning HALAK? Do you have ANYTHING to contribute to this site other than Price Bashing and Halak Worshipping??? Halak is a St. Louis Blue. He is NOT a Montreal Canadien.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. Brocas Brain says:

I do not work behind the scenes with the habs, but if I were
    the GM I would be consulting Jacques before any signing. As I am sure the PG
    does as well.

Honestly, I would like to see another forward other than Moen (who will be in
    tough tomorrow i might add) who can hold his own going into the corners…Pyatt
    / Boyd / Darche are redundant players and I would swap any in a heartbeat for
    White.

15. habaddict_andy says:

I still want to see how Boyd play for few games.  I don’t know him enough to comment how he is.

16. scrowe21 says:

From what I saw Picard had a much better camp than Weber did, plus Picard can work the PP better and has a decent shot from the point. He does tend to cough up the puck sometimes but no more then the rest of the D, they all need to improve on that.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

17. topher5468 says:

I hope your wrong too but what did they do to correct this issue from last year, Boyd, Halpern, not good enough. This team needs a gritty top 6 forward who will go to the net, we have AK46 and Pouliot, gritty like soft serve

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

18. Aaron13 says:

Picard gives up the puck too frequently – big mistake keeping him.

White is a hard worker and deserves to be on the team.

Henry /Weber are much better than Picard.

Oh well, we shall see.

19. Hagar says:

He’ll make the team next year. You heard it here first Mikey. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

20. scrowe21 says:

I dont know why people are suprised with White being sent down, from day one of training camp this year there were no spots available for white,maxpac or maxwell….. personally I would rather have White in the line up over Halpern,Boyd or Darche, but if it was up to me I wouldn’t have resigned Darche to a 1 way contract in the first place, or signed Halpern.

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

21. habaddict_andy says:

Laperriere told to retire.  Sorry if this was already posted.  This must be hard to accept.

22. AH says:

Timo you’re back? (I haven’t been reading much of the commentariet lately). Glad you’re back, I missed your negative and hilarious (although often spot on) comments!

GO HABS GO!

23. avatar_58 says:

I’m no Martin fan either but tell me how it’s his fault they signed Halpern and Boyd? No one with any hockey sense would send Pyatt or Eller down to get White on this team.

24. LA Loyalist says:

My point is goalies are notoriously wonkie – Roy was a bit neurotic, with his goal post conversations and twitches, but when it was on the line, WOW!

Price has to get some mojo and focus from somewhere and soon. It’s never too soon to start a winning culture, we got it going in the playoffs and we don’t want to lose that momentum.

“Insert tagline here.”

25. Storm Man says:

Care to bet on that? or do you have the flu 365 days a year.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

You need to update your favourites on your browser, try here. http://blues.nhl.com/?navid=nav-teamnav-stl

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. ShyS says:

gahh! will they PLEASE stop sending white down?? he’s a smart player and the habs need him!

28. SeriousFan09 says:

White’s spot is in the actual bottom 6, Darche is a 13th forward you sit in the box because you don’t care if his talents are being wasted, White losing half (or more) of his season not playing and being shifted in and out for daily ailments does his development nothing. White will be a “Black Ace” for the playoffs after playing 80 games in Hamilton this season and getting even better.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. riazp says:

wow ryan white is 10th in trending topics on twitter in canada!

30. Mike Boone says:

Hey, read my post, man! I’m positively Pollyannaish

31. avatar_58 says:

Once again – who is sent down over White? No one seems to offer any suggestions

32. ManApart says:

He still has until next season at this time. Guys like Hammer and Gill and Maybe Spatcho are gone, leaving some openings on D. Montreal doesn’t have any legit prospects to step in except Emelin, if he even exists. If Weber doesn’t make the team out of camp next season, I’m with you.

33. Harani says:

It’s Hart.

“It must be love!”

34. Slovak says:

In the end Halak will get Vezina and Heart trophy while Price will get another flu, write it down 🙂

35. puck face says:

shouldn’t they hang on to Sanford for a couple of days?

36. likehoy says:

ugh

mathieu darche is still with the team. Great guy, but a 33 year old career AHLer living a dream! taking someone like white’s spot. I honestly don’t get the decision to sign and keep the guy given that he played around 30 seconds a game in the playoffs. what’s the point of keeping someone we won’t be using in the playoffs? it sure beats the hell out of me. is darche going to magically improve to a more reliable player at this  stage of his career?

then again dustin boyd was by far the worst roster player during the pre-season (-4 or 5 i think)…but it’s tough to judge since he just got here.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

37. Brocas Brain says:

Very disappointed about White…but not surprised given Jacques’
    has never iced a team that is tough since his days arriving in the NHL.

38. razor436 says:

My only disappointment is that White was sent down to the ‘dogs. He diplayed much grit, heart, and willingness to fight that is sorely lacking in our organisation. It baffles me why they’d refer Boyd to White. To tell you the truth, I don’t thik I’ve ever noticed Boyd in the preseason.

39. montrealtilldeath says:

White sent down and Picard kept over Henry. I guess Pauline Marois is now picking the team. Was listening to the RDS discussion the other night and even they said Picard was too hesitant with the puck and they were unanimous in the opinion he would be cut. As for White they were very high on him and his tough play. We have too many “Tin Men” on the team. No heart!!!

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Ha, nice.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll take rookie coachs who didn’t work out in Montreal for 400$!!!

Boucher isn’t the only guy who can develop talent, Cunneyworth has a solid record for preparing prospect for NHL action.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. Danno says:

Good one Timo!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. Lazarus_taxa says:

that would be RDS….. Everytime I go to that site I burst a vein.  I actually find refuge here believe it or not.

44. avatar_58 says:

Damnit Timo I was just about to post that.

45. avatar_58 says:

That still kind of sticks with me. I hope he eventually returns, because Trotter is going to be good one day

46. Hammer says:

I hope I am proven wrong, but the Habs  are again a soft team that will struggle 5 on 5 and have to rely on their PP. White unfortunately is a victim of the salary cap, though he showed more toughness than anyone on the current roster. They need size on the front end to complement the speedy smaller forwards.

47. Lazarus_taxa says:

Agreed.  At this point it’s all business.  If you want White in the lineup, you have to put someone on waivers that doesn’t really deserve to be on waivers at this point.  Pyatt, Halpern, Boyd, Darche, deserve to AT LEAST prove their worth during the regular season.  Its not like they stunk up training camp…..  This sucks, agreed, but it was to be expected and logical.  By the way,  Of those guys I mentioned, Pyatt and Boyd are awesome,  Halpern, I don’t really have an opinion yet, and Darche is a great team guy and gives 150% all the time and actually played pretty good in training camp, so you can’t just get rid of any of these guys before the season starts….  In my opinion, of course.

48. Mr.Hazard says:

Brock Trotter played well (NHL.com says the best on his team) during the match-up between the Coyotes and Dinamo Riga today.

49. andrewberkshire says:

That’s a big complement for Price.

50. Mark C says:

For some perspective about the need of NHL forward depth. Last season Montreal had 19 forwards play in at least 10 games (this counts Benny and Gui as one).

White will play a lot of games this season, it would be very foolish to wavier a player like Halpern, Boyd or whoever just to find room for White. He’ll be back before you know it.

Yeah, but he would let out a big rebound and inflict everybody else with the germ. (reusing the rebound joke from earlier today. hope the author forgives me)

52. LA Loyalist says:

Good point. It’s better the guys play lots in Hamilton under Guy Boucher, a fine young coach on his way up… oh crap!

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game — Carey Price.”

53. joeybarrie says:

Does the same count for Price?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

54. Danno says:

I’m pretty sure Halak would have stopped that germ from getting into his system.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

55. LA Loyalist says:

For you young ‘uns out there, Glenn Hall (Stanley Cup, Chicago 1961) often threw up before games.

Maybe Price is the next Glenn Hall.

“You don’t win The Stanley Cup in the first game of the season – Carey Price.”

56. avatar_58 says:

So explain who you’d send down / trade / etc. It’s ok to complain but not if you can’t offer a solution.

57. G-Man says:

Not 1 game and JM thrown under the bus- love HIO- the most negative views spewed by fans anywhere. 🙂

58. Mark C says:

After tomorrow’s game in TO, Darche becomes the 13th forward. Would you rather White get 20 minutes a game in the AHL or sit in NHL press boxes around the league?

How could keeping Darche around lead to losing White? White isn’t wavier eligible this season. White is likely to be the first forward recalled. He will play in a lot of NHL games this season.

59. Storm Man says:

Moen will have a new nickname after Thursday. Everlast as he will be the Habs punching bag. JM good call buddy your in great form.

60. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say, Cammalleri got  mad that Ryan White was getting sent down so he slashed Nieddereiter? The team has 13 forwards (Darche being 13th man) signed to 1-way deals and the bottom-6 forwards Boyd, Lapierre, Pyatt, Halpern, Moen and Eller are a pretty solid group and far better than what we had to kick off last season. White shouldn’t sit in the press box, he should be playing in Hamilton getting better so when injuries strike we have a sharp prospect coming up to fill in and not a guy who was sitting on his *** in the press box.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. Lazarus_taxa says:

I agree that White should be on the team, but I don’t think that it is the right time to get rid of players on one way contracts.  If we put Darche or Halpern on waivers (we don’t have enough cap space or roster spots to keep everyone) we lose depth.  I can’t remember a time when we have had this much depth.  Halpern is a veteran, it will be his job to lose, but he deserves a chance to prove his worth.  I don’t think pre-season is that chance.  If he plays like you say he will,  we should see some movement to get White up here.  But who knows, I’m sure PG has something up his sleeve that we were not expecting…..

I also agree about Weber.  I think we will see him in a trade this year.  He’s shown flashes, but at this point, with our current blueline, I think he would be better elsewhere where he can get more NHL time.  I don’t think you could have 2 offensive D’s trying to learn the NHL on our roster.

62. adamkennelly says:

this pisses me off…JM doesn’t realize what year it is…White gets sent down, no prospects make the team cept for Eller who HAD to get a spot…once again JM thinks he is coaching in Europe..guess the Cammy incident didn’t teach our management anything…

P.S.  AK and BP on the 2nd PP unit should be comical..higher chance of getting a shorty against than actually scoring…

63. derfab says:

That second “wave” looks like bath water. I guess we’ll have to win 5 on 5.

Though keeping Darche around has some sort of limited merit and justification, it could very well lead to the loss of a real nhl prospect like White.

64. SeriousFan09 says:

I never said anything about Weber making the team, I might have said he could to make the team provided he continues to develop but he did not over the 09-10 season as Subban bumped out of top position in Hamilton and Weber didn’t improve his defensive game in his lesser role.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. HabsMitch says:

White will have his chance

66. RetroMikey says:

Yup and your analysis of Weber making the team was to a tee as well.

By the way, don’t be surprised if Subban is sent down back to my hometown this season.

And O’Byrne, I said it several years ago, a work in progress, he won’t be in Montreal much longer.

Keep those compliments coming.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

67. Mark C says:

Halpern hasn’t had a season with more 40 PIMs since 2006-2007, don’t think we need to be too worried.

He is just getting warmed up. The best is yet to come.

69. Storm Man says:

Im glad to see that JM is in midseason form……………… Bartender I will have what she is having but make it a double.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

Definite-miss prospect according to RetroMikey on his signing last year: P.K. Subban!

Keep up the sharp scouting.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

71. andrewberkshire says:

His career is over at 22? Come on Mike, most defensemen don’t make the NHL at that age, he’s not Doughty.

72. Mark C says:

Yup, he’s done. It’s sad too, because he just turned 22 a few weeks ago. However in today’s NHL if you can’t crack the bigs by 22 years old, you’ll never make it.

73. sidhu says:

This is bullcrap —

White played well enough to earn a spot.   Henry was also very good.  They both have grit and stand up for their teammates.   If they both continue to perform, maybe the brass will create room for them.  Or, at least they will be the first callups.

Weber, as someone else said, may be best developing elsewhere.  Both him and Carle have not impressed the last couple of camps.

A note about Halpern.  I’ve seen Halpern play many games in DC and he’s from my home town.  Let me assure you, he will take many hooking and holding penalties that will drive you crazy.  He may have leadership skills, he may be a PK’er with a right shot who can take faceoffs.  But he belongs in the old NHL where you could clutch and grab ’till the cows come home.  He had a decent camp, but be warned.  I bring this all up to say, that spot he holds should be White’s, who can also PK and is a right shot.

Let me say this for Boone, if White’s name was Latendresse, he’d be in Montreal.

74. CBrady12 says:

What is all this about Henry…The guy has played 2 NHL games in the last 4 years…all of a sudden hes an NHL d-man…dont think so

75. RetroMikey says:

Weber’s days are over with in Montreal.

Another can’t miss prospect labelled by the media and fans and now  a disappointing prospect like the others we’ve had over the years.

Few make it in the NHL, very few.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “