Ryder will face Leafs wearing No. 73

Michael Ryder will be in the lineup for the Canadiens Wednesday night when they take on the Maple Leafs in Toronto (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) and he’ll be wearing No. 73.

When asked by reporters in Toronto Wednesday morning who Ryder will play with, coach Michel Therrien responded: “You’ll find out tonight.”

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin acquired Ryder, who started his NHL career in Montreal, from the Dallas Stars Tuesday night in exchange for Erik Cole. Montreal also received a third-round draft pick this year in the deal.

Ryder met his new teammates at the Air Canada Centre Wednesday morning and underwent a team medical exam, but did not take part in the morning skate.

Rookie Brendan Gallagher, who had been wearing No. 73, will switch to No. 11, the number he wore in junior hockey with the Vancouver Giants.

“I feel sorry for the three people who bought Gallagher 73 jerseys,” the rookie said following the Canadiens’ morning skate in Toronto.

Ryder caught a 6 a.m. flight Wednesday from Columbus, where the Stars beat the Blue Jackets 5-4 in overtime Tuesday night. Ryder was hoping to take a long pre-game nap before facing the Leafs.

Ryder, who has 2-7-9 totals in his last six games, will be looking to extend his point streak to seven games against the Leafs.

Five other players didn’t take part in the morning skate: Rene Bourque, who is sidelined with a concussion, Francis Bouillon, Brian Gionta, Raphael Diaz and Tomas Plekanec.

Top Five Michael Ryder in Montreal moments

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs

Canadiens comeback a tale worth believing, by The Hockey News

1. Stephen York says:

Some nice Ryder (and Higgins) highlights from the infamous elimination game in April 2007 (Huet let in a few softies, IMO):

_______________________________
    Welcome back, Ryder.

2. 25insight says:

Here’s a link to the predictions for a sports betting website tonight:

3. Chris says:

Isn’t it funny that so many of the people that say it is all about the logo on the front are the same people arguing that the Leafs are silly for not retiring numbers? :)

If Pele’s #10 can be worn by Brazilian soccer stars year after year, or Maradona’s #10 by Argentinian stars, then I have no problem with the Leafs honouring players but not retiring the jersey.

Monteral has chosen to retire jerseys, and that is also fine. But it does become a little silly when your team is full of numbers in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Wayne Gretzky never played for Montreal, yet no Hab can wear #99? Why Gretzky? Why not Orr? Howe? Richard? Beliveau?

Where does it stop?

Honouring team’s former greats can be done in a variety of ways, and no single way is better than any other.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Would you honestly like to see some scrub wear the number 9 for the Habs or the number 10? No one should ever wear those numbers again for the Habs. The number 99 is kind of sacred in the hockey world. Gretzky broke just about every hockey record out there and has been an ambassador the the game. As great as what Orr was he isn’t in the same ball park as the great one. I have no problem with the league honoring the best player in its history this way.

4. Pricey Habs says:

Although I’m excited for tonight’s game, I don’t know what possessed me to go read pre-game comments on TSN. It took 3 leafs fans comments to decide that I’d rather gouge my eyes out than read more.

I know sports fans can sometimes be arrogant and overly confident about their team’s chances at winning a game, but only leafs fans push it to a delusional level. Never have I seen so many fans claim such superiority based on one decisive win.

If their is a greater force in the universe that can influence the outcome of the game, please help the Habs tonight. I don’t want to feel frustrated and down around friends and family… plus it would be nice to send that scum (leafs fans) back to the holes they came out from.
    That’s my rant :D … Go Habs Go!

5. Loonie says:

We are not the Leafs. We CANNOT turn the jersey retirement into a wall of fame or ring of honour and allow new players to wear the numbers of the legends of the organization.

Picture Michael Ryder wearing number 9 tonight. That should make you feel uncomfortable.

• twilighthours says:

I disagree. We CAN!!!

• Habsrule1 says:

You’ve never been more right Loonie.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

re your post about not having to wear a number…why is ryder wearing hisnumber tongiht? why is gallagher switching back to his number 11 he previously wore? many players numbers are from numbers they wore as a kid in honor of another player. Gretzky got his 99 from Howe…he went to paly witht he sault as he had previously wore number 9….it was taken so he wore 99….if Wayne Gretzky thinks it is ok to idolize your hero and wear a number because of it…it is good enough for my son.

• krob1000 says:

It does…but that is because as Hab fans we are programmed that way. The more I started to think of it I thought of my 4 year old who watches the first period of every habs game(more if no school or on a weekend and is rested) and cares a great deal for the jersey numbers they wear. He asked why noone on his team wears 76, 81 or 27 like Subban, Galchenyuk and Eller….
      I know it is all fairly meaningless…but grew up wearing number 10 in every sport….that 10 all started with Guy as my earliest memories of watching Habs games with my Dad were dominated with Lafleur chatter and idolization.

• Habsrule1 says:

Just different for everyone. My son only really cares about the logo and I’ll just ask him to wear his favorite number. When he makes the NHL, he’ll have to live with the dissapointment that he can no longer wear it, if it’s retired.

Go Habs Go!!

• GGtheHab says:

I still grab #10 when ever I have the choice…Guy..Guy…Guy!!!

• Sportfan says:

Can’t agree with you more, in Montreal its what we do I don’t think I could ever see someone wear 9, 4, 7, 10, 1 etc Mainly because we are so used to it and that player would never live up to the hype that would be given if they were to wear any of the numbers

• Cal says:

+ 2013. Leafs, as usual, have it all wrong.

6. LA Loyalist says:

Does anyone remember Bourque getting dinged?

The problem with the flu-like symptoms described is that they don’t show up right away. My kid has had one (mild) concussion and didn’t feel nauseus until the next day.

Hope they are following the most stringent protocols – no electronics, quiet, dim light, etc. Concerned. Bourque is an important asset when he’s going well.

7. GGtheHab says:

When you break it down player by player there is no way the leafs should be up 2-0 in games this year..the only reason is in both those games the Habs came out flat as pi$$ on a platter for some reason..maybe if Prusts opening goal wasnt waved off leaving us shorthanded we blow them out..in game 2 they couldnt even make a 5 foot (1.5 mr??) pass, surely tonight they won’t take the laffs lightly. If they skate as well as they did in Ottawa the goons will be on the bench until it is 5-1 Montreal..

• Lafleurguy says:

Thanks Ryan, for running the goalie.

• nunacanadien says:

The truth is the laffs are tougher than the habs. It was sheer size that made the habs lose, and in fact that has been the problem with the habs of the past and present. Too small up front, and not tough enough in defense. When our only enforcer Prust can only pick fights in the midget fighting league of the NHL, which is sad, the NHL having a tough midget league….shucks…NHL UFA for midgets led by Prust?

8. Habshire says:

An extra bonus to getting Ryder. Boston doesn’t at the deadline…

9. LA Loyalist says:

Got my head around Cole for Ryder after sleeping on it.

Cap space is going to be huge in the summer, and I have the feeling Bergevin is not done.

I like that he has been decisive. Gainey went all MacBeth on us after the Gomez/Gionta move, but finally we are coming out of the fog.

Interesting article on Bergevin in the Star today by Damien Cox.

And whatever anyone says, tonight is a “must win decisively” game.

Can’t let Leafs start thinking they don’t suck.

10. ABHabsfan says:

First order of business when Ryder arrives in the room:
    Atomic wedgie followed by head noogies and a dog-pile for making that save on Pleks in the play-offs 2 years ago in game 3. I sincerely believe if that goal goes in, Bruins never come back

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

11. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think the most natural fit for Ryder would be in Bourque’s place for now, though I doubt that’ll happen tonight as it’s his first game and he hasn’t had a practice with the team.

Depending on how long Bourque’s out, wouldn’t be surprised to see him there soon. Healthy roster:

Ryder-Pleks-Gio
    Patches – DD – Gally
    Bourque – Eller – Gallychuck
    Prust – White – Moen

Not too shabby!

• krob1000 says:

Ryder and Gio are both right wingers….he will likely go with Eller and Galchenyuk or possibly in Gallagher’s spot and Gallagher drop to the line with Eller and Galchenyuk

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Ryder and Gionta are both RWs, no?

• nunacanadien says:

Ryder is, Gionta is a midget regardless of which way he shoots.

Only diff between us and the laffs are they lost 4 more than us and we had more ties. A quick trip to the basement for us once the other teams figure out the habs are even smaller with the loss of Cole and not replacing size to make up for it.

When are we going to stop signing these tiny tykes?

12. 25insight says:

Damn Stu Cowan, Starting new threads when old threads almost reach 2000 posts. Oh well, Good luck Ryder, pot your 100th tonight for the win!

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Who would’ve played with Ryder last time he was here?

Pleky, Markov, Gorges, Frankie and Price?

• Lafleurguy says:

not price, and 5 seasons ago, gorges was parttime at best. we had Cristobal Huet, and after David Aebischer was dispatched, Jaro was the backup

• twilighthours says:

Definitely Price. He got yanked during the Rangers/comeback game.

• nunacanadien says:

How quickly we forget Eller. A player with size basically playing like a wimp and letting the other team skate all over without punishing them like Eller would if he were in Sweden. The Swedish based leagues are tough and you would have thought Eller would reflect this but all he’s proven is his inability to fight back any checks etc or to crash the net, in this crash the net NHL. So the habs hope to play the sniping game with their tiny tyke offense which MT hopes can come back and play the four man box defense? We’ve seen the end result in the Laff loss of this principle. All they have to do is knock down Gionta and Prust and DD, and they have a clear shot on nets. So much for MT’s defense! The team is too small for MT’s style. If I were Therrien I’d demand Bergevin actually sign forwards who can crash the net and stand up against a rush.

14. rhino514 says:

All of you realize that if Ryder doesn´t make that save in the Boston series two years ago, we most likely beat them. And seeing as they were the eventual champions, we could have gone a long ways during those playoffs. Heartbreaking. I think the team began to lose some of its poise and confidence after that loss and I´m not sure if they have ever recovered it. Up to that loss the team really believed it could beat anybody in the playoffs, even if they weren´t the most talented on paper.
    I like the trade overall, but find it slightly odd having ryder on the team after he made a play which may have substantially affected the future of the habs at the time. That loss could have been the thing that began to set in motion tons of odd things that subsequently happened in Montreal

• Habsrule1 says:

Aw come on rhino. You can’t be serious. Ryder made a nice play for his team. End of story.
      If anything, it should make the Habs want him more.

Go Habs Go!!

15. habsfan0 says:

Edmonton @ Dallas tomorrow night.
    Cole’s debut as a Star.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Yeah, Bergevin is on the phone with Mayweather as We speak

• nunacanadien says:

Come on Bergevin, sign a real forward of size to replace Cole. In fact sign more, we have enough tiny tykes as our forwards.

• MatyJ69 says:

“Tiny tykes as our forwrads” Bourque 6’2, Ryder 6’1, Eler 6’2, Galchenyuk 6’2, Moen 6’2, Prust 6’0, Pacioretty 6’3 …7 out of the 12 forwards are 6 feet and over White and Plekanec are both 5’10 which i wouldn’t really call them tykes….Desharnais, Gallagher and Gionta well….ok you have a case there.

M.Johnson

17. Saltwater Cowboy says:

The Habs have to lay the Smackdown on the Leafs tonight! They just have to. There is no other option but to destroy them tonight. 5-0 would be great for me! I can’t take these Leafs fans bragging

• pmaraw says:

my whole shop is leafs fans, except me…. oh and 1 detroit fan

• 25insight says:

I think i’m starting to loathe Leafs fans more than Bruins fans, and what a great place to mediate that anger the internet is. What a life I have.

• nunacanadien says:

We’ll have to watch as Gionta lashes them with wet spaghetti. I wonder if Gionta is benched tonight, otherwise we’ll have to watch as Gionta tries to check back with kindness and wonderful comments, as Gionta it seems can’t fight back.

or let’s watch as Prust bascially lets the laffs push him around after Maclaren decks him to quieten him up?

Let’s hope the habs kill the laffs with kindness cause with the loss of Cole, the habs have very little size to fight back with.

The Habs only retire numbers of players who were both:

1) Cup Winners
    2) Instrumental in the Cup(s) won

There are always exceptions and if Koivu gets his #11 retired in Montreal it would be for purely Maple Leaf, I mean sentimental, reasons.

19. BJ says:

For the tough guy experts out there. Who is the toughest 4th liner that can play and might be available and the toughest 5-6 D man who might also be available?

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

Correction: …Gomer certainly didn’t wear 11 well

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…yup, certainly didn’t wear 11 well

22. munch17 says:

I remember when Ryder was ridden out of town.
    We were winning but he wasn’t producing.
    You can’t have everyone scoring. Most games re won with 3, sometimes 2 goals.
    Right now I see the same sentiment towards Gionta.
    Habs are winning and hopefully when others aren’t producing he will.
    Meanwhile he desbmany things well including the PK.

23. Kooch7800 says:

I would put a bet down that there isn’t a single fight tonight.

I bet you it is a one goal game

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

24. Sportfan says:

As I asked before who was the last 6 foot guy wearing number #11
    Timo thinks it was Muller anyone else?

25. Fab K says:

Hopefully Gallagher will not get the Gomez syndrome with 11 on his back, lol

So if this were more of a cap move, does it mean Markov won’t last a season either?

27. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I wonder what it’d take to get Paajarvi off the Oilers…with all the high-end young talent, he’s been sort of lost in the shuffle. Think he was just sent down again. I wouldn’t give up on him yet though. From what I’ve seen he’s still got a lot of potential. Maybe not ready for a starring role now, but in the long-term, kind of player I see fitting into this team, and he might come at a reasonable cost. (Weber?)

Random speculation, but just a thought I’ve had.

• pmaraw says:

they can’t all be danglers… can they? think that’s part of the oilers downfall, too much puck possession players, not enough passing. ie. every player on their team wants to make the big deke, if there were 5 pucks on the ice, the oilers might be in 1st place

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

“if there were 5 pucks on the ice, the oilers might be in 1st place”

Brilliant, haha

But yeah, that’s why I think he’d be an OK pickup. Looks like he can play two ways too (from my very limited exposure, admittedly)

Sure MB appreciates my scouting, haha

• pmaraw says:

i’ll agree, not sure what you trade for him, but he’d add a lot of excitement to the team for sure, not that this team isn’t exciting as this season already!

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I will be set upon like a fox by hounds, but Got to say to Y’all calling for Koivu’s number 11 to be bannered in the rafters is really only a sentimental stretch

…if it’s only ‘talent’ We are talking about, Saku is maybe among the top 100 former Habs, but certainly not among the elite top 20 or 30

…Saku was a favorite of Mine, but those were very lean years for talent on Our Team

• The Juice says:

Talent only gets you so far…in heart Koivu was as big as any Hab legend and for this reason, I believe he should be up there.

Either way, I didn’t like Gomez taking Saku’s number (his first year as 91 was his best with the Habs) and I hope it is not a bad omen for Gallagher…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Old Bald Bird says:

I am of a different opinion as to his skill but agree that he won’t be retired. If he could have played behind Beliveau in that era, I think he would have been.

• Habsrule1 says:

There’s no way his #11 gets retired. That’s reserved for elite players, and while Saku had more heart than any Hab player in the last 20 years or so, he just doesn’t have the numbers.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habilis says:

I have to agree (ducks to avoid flying bottles). His off-ice contributions put Saku on another level. But retiring the number of a guy who didn’t win a Cup here? No, thanks.

29. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m wondering if Bourque’s concussion did not occur when Orr hit him during the last game against the Leafs. That was my first thought when I saw the hit, but when I saw him back the next game I said to myself maybe it wasn’t that bad. I just watch the video again and it looked that bad.

30. habsnyc says:

Shot blocking Brent Sopel’s two year KHL deal ended when Matallurg failed to reach the playoffs. He signed a short term deal with Salavat taking him as far as they go in the KHL post season. He must clear waivers to return to the NHL mid season. A few injury plagued teams have expressed interest in him.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

31. pmaraw says:

I guess Ryder can learn the system more quickly than Subban? I’m undecided on this one, but Ryder…. man so many mixed emotions…. can only be described in one word “Woooooooooeh?’

32. commandant says:

Why fighting doesn’t make a difference in the final score of hockey games.

If we look at fights that occur in the third period of hockey games. You can see that in games that are tied or separated by just one goal, there are very few fights. In games with big margains (3, or 4+ goals) there are lots of fights. Those games have pretty much already had the outcome decided.

Here’s the data

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• The Cat says:

It makes a difference…in future games.

• krob1000 says:

..you mean of course how the team went unbeaten 8 after losing some fights after losing the hockey game

• The Cat says:

Future games against the same opponent. Just look at the attitude around here for tonights game.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

You mean like how we beat the Bruins 4-1 after the ‘beatdown’ in ’11 and then went on to take them to game 7 OT in the playoffs that year?

Not sure there’s much to back up that claim…

• Old Bald Bird says:

Nobody here is playing tonight.

• TheDagger says:

The attitude here. On a website.

Man, I’ve been coming to this site for years and had no idea the players were posting comments.

• The Cat says:

Oh therell be the odd win, but as a whole the Montreal ownage of the bruins has changed. Just like the ownage of the leafs is now changing direction.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think the ‘ownage’ of the Bruins has changed because Boston is a very good team that in the past couple of seasons we’ve actually played very tightly.

The whole fighting thing is an unsubstantiated myth as far as I’m concerned. Lucic isn’t good because he can fight. He’s good because he’s huge, can skate and has good hands. Show me a player like that, and I’ll sign him in a heartbeat.

Getting a guy who can beat up Lucic won’t do anything….what’s the Leafs’ record against the Bruins? Helluva lot worse than ours. And they have Orr et al

• Old Bald Bird says:

We had a guy who could beat up Lucic, but the code got in the way.

• frontenac1 says:

So if the Habs get the sh#ts beat out of them tonight they will go on an 8 game winning streak? Hmm,Mojo works in mysterious ways.

• krob1000 says:

the point was the fighting was irrelevant as many seem to think there is a fight standings kept somewhere….close games and playoffs are not won with fighting

33. Harditya says:

Good for Gally. He will bring the glory back to number 11.
    For me that number never belonged to Scotty. It was Koivu’s number and always will be.

34. homerbowen says:

Habs…………..do not tangle (fight) with Orr,, Brown, Fraser or McLaren as there is no way in hell you will do anything but shame yourself and the team. Skate hard and fast and let the refs put the goons in the box. While it would be nice to beat the s–t out of a few of them we are just not built for it. Remember Gorges swinging wildly while the Laff laughed at him..that’s shame not manly! Time for MB to search mfor an animal in the ECHL.

35. bear says:

Bear
    Allo de Boyz,
    I’m very happy we got the sniper from “The Rock” back in town.
    I’ve got a 2 4 on ice down in the man cave, my Bro and I hosting 2 Leaf fans (one from Pembrook, one from the Rock), all of us in our colours, grey hair, no hair…ok more white than grey.
    Beer butt chicken on the BBQ and DeCecco pasta with Mom’s sauce. Should be a great game, as most of the games were back in the sixties between these two teams. I’m glad Hogtown has got its mojo back, still want to kick thier butts though. Will “never” forget that last game in 67, what a bummer, funny how some things just…stick to a guy eh?
    I want to thank Eric Cole for what he did for us last year and wish him all the best down south. I really do think we’re going to see Ryder play his best hockey ever, starting tonight.
    Go Habs! Go!

36. Phil C says:

Rene Bourque came to Montreal with a reputation for being an inconsistent player, dominant one game, then invisible for the next three. Hrudey’s rant was a good example of his reputation.

Now I wonder if his inconsistency has been caused by concussion problems? It would not be that surprising for a big power forward who can skate and hit like Bourque to have hit his head a few times. I’m no Dr. Recchi, but even as little as 5 years ago, I thought you had to lose consciousness to have a concussion. In 2003, Paul Kariya was allowed back in game 6 of the Stanley Cup final and scored the winning goal after this Steven’s hit. I can’t imagine a player being allowed to play again now after a hit like that, so things have changed when it comes to concussions in a short time.

If Bourque has a history of concussion problems, I hope they can address it, maybe make sure he doesn’t have neck issues like Crosby. If he can become more consistent as a result of improving his health, he becomes a great asset for $3.3M/year for the next four years. And maybe he can put his reputation behind him.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the drunk kid We left in the other thread

I still think the cap space will be used on utility players in the mould of Prust and wont be spent on any of the big name UFA’s in the mould of Parise/Suter/Richards/Gaborik/Kovalchuck. Those huge contracts are ridiculous and unwarranted. Better to develop our own marquis players and use the cash on them.

So forget about players like Perry or Getzlaf unless they come in at a reasonable dollar and term.

• Cal says:

Only 1 who may be worth it is Perry. He’s still young at 28 and relatively big and should have 30 goal + seasons still ahead. High coin I’d bet.

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – As I mentioned last night, this move favours a guy like Kristo.

Collberg is in Sweden next year but should enter the picture in 2014.

No use moving out Cole’s high cap space and then giving it to another player. I took last night’s trade as a sign that the team is still rebuilding even though they are off to a hot start.

• Harditya says:

Exactly 24 Cups. This is a re-building team, just like the Senators. No need to push for a big fish in the free agent frenzy. Continue developing the Gally’s and I am excited to see Collberg, Kristo, Beaulieu and Tinordi in the future.

• Whatever says:

I tend to agree, but keep in mind the new CBA. These players always get what the market will bear. The market, with a huge drop in salary cap has changed. The majority of teams with large cap space are teams that do it for budgetary reasons. If anything, it should be an interesting summer.

• ooder says:

your right, best way to win is to have some talented youngsters, surrounded by not to expensive vets and relatively cheap heart and soul guys like white, prust, moen…
      but you don’t win a cup by blowing your load all on one big free agent (or 3 like the rangers). in the playoffs depth is huge! especially with injuries. it’s awlays easier to shut down one big line then 3 who can score and wear you out

• Phil C says:

I wonder if the shrinking Cap will put a damper on free agency this year? Every year up to now, the cap has grown, so teams were forced to spend money. Next year, some of the traditional high bidders (ie Rangers) may not be in a position to participate in free agency. In fact, there will probably be more sellers than buyers in the off season as teams scramble to get under the cap.

It only takes one team to bid up the price, but next year might be the best year ever to get a guy like Perry at a reasonable cost.

• JF says:

Agreed. Teams that add expensive free agents to their lineup often have to skimp on the supporting cast and end up hurting the balance. Look at the Rangers. They’ve added three huge free agents over the last few years, believing each time that the player they signed was the piece they were missing. At the moment they look a mess, having sacrificed part of their foundation, it seems, to get Rick Nash. And what about Suter and Parise in Minnesota? Last time I checked, Minnesota are roughly where they usually are at this point in the season.

The way to build a good team (and one that you can keep together for a few years) is to draft and develop your players well. You might need to add a couple of pieces for a Cup run, but these pieces should be support players rather than stars. Bergevin’s moves over the summer suggest that he takes this view. He ignored the temptation to sign Jagr or another aging star, acquiring instead some muscle, grit, and defensive responsibility. The result is that there are roster spots available for our two promising rookies. I really think it’s time to turn the team over to the youth, and hope that next year there will be a spot for another rookie (Kristo?).

A lot of people are high on Corey Perry, but I can’t see Bergevin trying to get him, especially if, as is rumoured, he has off-ice issues.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in My opinion the only 2 numbers that should be permanently retired are 4 and 9

…all the other special Players a banner with Their name in the rafters

…let the Younguns be allowed to wear all but 4 and 9

• Cal says:

I’ll repeat what I posted yesterday. Seeing Odjick wearing 29 was ridiculous. Let numbers stay retired and have fans actually check out Habs history and realize why certain numbers haven’t been retired.

• krob1000 says:

Maybe they should be “centuried”, “half centuried” or “decaded” …it really is a shame that kids playig minor hockey who are wearing pre bought jerseys have no Hab player to relate to if they wear low numbers….

1, 2, 4,5, 7, 9, 10, 12,16, 18, 19

that is almost every number on a typical minor hockey team
      I am not really serious but it is a little ridiculous now that I think aobut it..at least when I used to wear no 10 I knew who Guy Lafleur was….kids these days can’t even realte their numbers to a modern player.

• Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t have to wear # 10 to know who Lafleur was.

Who cares if you wear the same number as someone in the NHL. Let kids form their own identities.

“Oooh…I want 31 cause Price has 31″. So lame.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

?
          that is what every kid does……you must have skipped childhood. Isn’t your kid “identifying” with the Canadiens with his hat (that surely he purchased on his own establishing his own identity)…so lame???

• Habsrule1 says:

Not the same. I wear a jersey with a number on it, but I don’t need to wear a certain number when I play, and neither does my son.
            It’s the logo in front we identify with, not the number in back.

Go Habs Go!!

40. I know it’s fun to play armchair quarterback but if anyone thinks this summer’s UFA top picks will be less than 7 mil, then you all need to pull your pants down and slide down the middle of the ice.

I would love both Ducks one the Habs, but they are both going to get stupid money and play for whomever pays the most.

Having said that, high priced UFA’s never work out. I hope the Leafs get them both.

LET’S PACK THE HOUSE
    Be A Pro Fundraiser Feb 24th (see web site for details)
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• HardHabits says:

I am total agreement with you on this one.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m not going to say you’re wrong, but the thing I’d say, is that as a result of the new CBA, the marketplace has changed somewhat. Those ridiculous contracts that were given out in the latter years of the previous CBA won’t be given out as easily in these still early days of the new CBA imo.

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so We left little Jimmy in the drunk tank ? …shame on You :(

42. Fansincebirth says:

So, who will Orr and Brown try to injure tonight?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Brown is nothing, Orr on the other hand is twice as tough as anyone on the MTL roster…

• adamkennelly says:

agreed – I don’t want Prust fighting Orr but he may have to…Bouillon took him on once when Orr played for the Rags….didn’t do too bad either.

• The Jackal says:

Orr is not tough, he a goon, plain and simple. Montreal is tough, they stand up to anyone. That doesn’t mean they have to fight a bunch of morons who can’t play hockey. Hit hard, score goals, and skate fast, and the laffs will have no idea what happened. Getting sucked into the goon game is the dumbest mistake one can make. Fighting is on its way out, it’s an ancient practice used by teams that can’t win on the scoreboard, so they send out their goons to make themselves feel tough – it’s stupid. Habs don’t need to do any of that crap to win, as we have seen so far this year.

• issie74 says:

Hope they run into each other and both get knocked out …

NorthTOHab

43. otter649 says:

When Pavel Kubina joined the Leafs he took jersey #73 and later changed to #31 but he offered to pay any Leaf Fans who bought 73 & wanted 31 he would pay for the number change through Leaf Sports who sent him the bill but not sure how many Kubina jerseys were sold with #73……

44. Steeltown Hab says:

Lines out yet?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

45. Hobie Hansen says:

Mr. Bergevin,

Getzlaf, Ryan » C ANA 27 $5,325,000 2013 (UFA)
    Perry, Corey » R ANA 27 $5,325,000 2013 (UFA)
    Clarkson, David R NJD 28 $2,666,667 2013 (UFA)
    Horton, Nathan » R BOS 27 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Clowe, Ryane » L SJS 30 $3,625,000 2013 (UFA)

Thanks,

Hobie Hansen

• Newf_Habster says:

Before he ended up in Boston via trade, the Habs tried to get him from Florida at least four times. I would love to see him in Habs uniform; however, what concerns me most about him is his history of concussion.

• 24 Cups says:

Hobie – I wonder what it will cost a team to sign these guys as UFAs?

Getzlaf – 7M
      Perry – 7M
      Clarkson – 4M
      Horton – 5.5M
      Clowe – 5M

Hard to tell but some team always comes out of the blue and offers an over the top deal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not sure exactly, but imagine grabbing Getzlaf for the top spot at center and Clowe for 2nd or 3rd line duties.

And Tinordi making the jump to the NHL, bring on the Bruins!

• 24 Cups says:

If Montreal grabs Getzlaf would that mean Pleks leaves town?

Would the cost of those two players you mentioned total 12M? Might be pretty close.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I could see Getzlaf-Plekanec-Galchenyuk for next year and Getzlaf-Galchenyuk-Plekanec for a couple years after…

• jmsheehy19 says:

Clarkson will get more than Horton and Clowe. He’s those two players combined.

And have to imagine at least one, if not both, of Perry and Getzlaf are resigned. Though I think you’re spot on with the money there.

• krob1000 says:

I would bet someone gives Clarkson 5 million ….he is tough, can play defensviely, scored 30 goals and has a lot of intangibles…in fact Brian O’Reilly is half way through an email about his character right now. Clarkson is off to a great start this season as well.

• Lafleurguy says:

7 mill won’t do it when you recall that Parise and Suter got 7 mill/year for THIRTEEN years; this length of contract is probably not allowed in the new CBA. Salary Cap amount also headed for a decrease next year.

• 24 Cups says:

Andrew – 7×7 is 49M and I think that a few teams will go that route.

Looking at the early attendance and TV stats, I think the cap will start to rise again after next season.

• Whatever says:

Little early for dreaming.

Many of these guys are going to be re-signed or traded and signed or choose to sign somewhere with less taxes, more money, better weather, one language, better team, one reporter named Skippy and less pressure.

Still a good move for cap relief and options. Trades with teams in a cap crunch may be better.

• dano58 says:

Remember one thing please Clarkson is a product of Devils system and we have had a few of their former players and they have a hard time outside of that system. Lou really makes stars from within but many not all fail to shine when they leave the shelter of that system.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.”
      Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

Man. So close to 2000 I could almost taste it.

47. jedimyrmidon says:

Am looking forward to seeing Ryder play tonight. I hope he’s on a line with Eller and Galchenyuk, which could be a potent combination with Eller being a strong two way presence, Galchenyuk being a very slick passer (with an excellent wrist shot) and Ryder being the pure – and experienced – shooter.

Other than that, I want to see the Habs on their game against the Leafs for once this season.

• habs001 says:

It is also time for Eller to show he can put the puck in the net…this would open up scoring for his linemates

• Steeltown Hab says:

He’s been effective winning battles all over the ice and carrying the play, the goals are going to come but he’s producing which is nice.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

48. commandant says:

Russ says that its time for the Rangers to fire Torts.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Short season with injuries…I don’t know. Would a new coach improve things?…don’t think so.

• ed says:

Didn’t the Rangers have a good season last year? 109 points and 1st in the Conference

Aren’t the Rangers 1 point out of a playoff spot?

Haven’t the Rangers been playing without Nash and several others?

I can’t stand their coach – his arrogance – but I don’t think now is the time to make a change in NY.

I believe I would relieve Adam Oates in Washington and hire Lindy Ruff.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with everything you said – except I might not use “relieve Adam Oates” as a phrase. I mean – he looks good with all the Botox, but I would just stick with “thank Adam Oates for his services”.

• 24 Cups says:

LOL. Washington is slowly showing signs of life (5-5). They are now only 4 points out. Same for Buffalo.

I think the only team that is truly dead in the water is Columbus.

49. Newf_Habster says:

If Ryder does not re-sign with the Habs this summer, the team salary cap would be about $18 millions dollars along with sending down Kabrele to Hamilton. It is enough room for them to go after Corey Perry or Ryan Getzlaf who will be unrestricted free agents this July if not-resigned. Perry and Prust played together in London for at least three years, so maybe Prust can get him to sign with the Habs.

50. Les-Habitants says:

I’m beginning to come around to this trade….and I really liked Cole in a habs uniform. I understand the cap issues, the skillset that Ryder provides, and the scoring touch but I’m going to miss Cole’s drive to the net – not even Patches is able to do it with the same level of aggressiveness, speed and skill. Cole did a lot to stress the opponent’s D.

Ryder’s shot is better, and he is true sniper that we didn’t have. Man…I don’t know, I guess I still am seeing the Cole of last season who was arguably our team’s best player.

• city center says:

Same sentiments here. I hope this works because Cole looked to be just about the best power forward in the game last year (something the Habs have needed for a long time). I am not ready to write him off due to the slow start/comments but I begrudgingly understand the business dynamics of the deal. Still feels like an immediate downgrade to me though, even if Ryder has more points. So many of the Habs skill guys are largely perimeter players. I know Pac, Gallagher, Chucky, Bourque, Gionta and DD go to the net, but Cole was actually built the right way for it and does it better than PAC and Bourque. With that said, welcome back Ryder. I always thought the worst mistake Guy made was scratching/benching Ryder in the playoffs.

51. ed says:

Stu, with all due respect, please read the following:

“Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin acquired Ryder, who started his NHL career in Montreal, from the Dallas Stars Tuesday night in exchange for Erik Cole and a third-round draft pick this year.”

Does that not read like the Habs GAVE the 3rd round pick + Cole in exchange for Ryder?

52. habsguy92 says:

it was a mistake for gomez to take 11, and I don’t feel much better about gally taking it. I hope I’m not just dreaming but ’11 – koivu’ will one day be hanging in the rafters

• Say Ash says:

Never gonna happen.

• soperman says:

I also hope that Koivu has his number retired someday. I am not convinced it will happen, but I would support it. BUT, you can’t stop a kid from taking a number on speculation that it would be retired someday.

Ryan O’Byrne gave up number 3 to have it retired for Butch Bouchard. That did not take anything away from Bouchard and his contribution. Plus this kid Gallagher showed enough respect to give up 73 to Ryder.

It appears to me he is a level-headed kid.

53. AngryHabsFan says:

Hahah nice quote from Gally. It will be strange seeing Ryder back in bleu blanc rogue tonight.

Hopefully Grabovski keeps his mouth guard in tonight.

54. Flint says:

I would rather have seen Latendresse come back than Ryder.

Flint

55. habs-fan-84 says:

GO HABS GO!

56. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Kabs will definitely bought out, I think.

Not saying I’m for the idea of moving Markov, but there would definitely be a much larger market for him than Kaberle.

Tonight is a measuring stick game.

58. BJ says:

Where’s Plekanec?

59. marlboro says:

I agree with you on the larger market, but who would want Markov? A playoff team contending right?

Helloooo Thats us this year! Keep him…

60. Ghosts of the Forum says: