Ryan White sidelined with lower-body injury

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien confirmed at practice Friday that Ryan White will miss Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) because of a lower-body injury.

Michael Blunden has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs to take White’s place.

Friday’s practice in Brossard was optional, with only nine players skating: Travis Moen, Gabriel Dumont, P.K. Subban, Alex Galchenyuk, Tomas Kaberle, Brendan Gallagher, Yannick Weber, Jarred Tinordi and Peter Budaj.

Rene Bourque, still recovering from a concussion, isn’t expected to play Saturday, while Carey Price will start again in net.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs finally solve Islanders, by Pat Hickey

Benchings light fire under Subban, Desharnais

Canadiens vs. Islanders photo gallery

Former Hab Ribeiro on fire with Capitals, by The Associated Press

Don Cherry pays tribute to Frank Selke Jr., by Stu Cowan

1. NoTinFoilCups says:

Hmm…. last time the Blue Jackets lost in reg was 1 – 0 to the Hawks on Feb 24 and they had a 5 – 12 – 2 record now 13 – 12 – 6 Talk about a turnaround, with this Kekelainen sp? dude.

That makes 8 – 0 – 4 in last 12.

• Clay says:

An almost Habs-like record there.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

2. frontenac1 says:

Flames tied for last place. Has Cammy talked tpo the press about “Losing Mentality”yet?

3. Propwash says:

Caps steamrolled over the Jets.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

4. otter649 says:

Watching on CBC Jets vs Caps with the announcer continuing to still call Ovechkin “The Great Eight” – Not applicable since playoffs 2010…….

• Clay says:

He meant ‘The Great Eight-ball’, a thinly veiled reference to his coke habit.

__________________________

5. Habfan10912 says:

Final. Pens 4-2.

6. Mark C says:

Charles Hudon (2 helpers) and Chiccoutimi up 5-3 on Patty Roy and Grigorenko’s Ramparts with under 5 to go.

7. NoTinFoilCups says:

How about Columbus? 7 – 0 – 3 in their last 10! Whuda thunk it?

8. jols101 says:

Galchenyuk’s old team, the Sarnia Sting, getting pounded 8-2 after 2 periods in their first playoff game.

9. Mr. Biter says:

Wondering if’s White has re-injured his groin?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

10. commandant says:

Edler gets two games. Nash gets zero games.

Random NHL wheel of Justice in effect.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

11. commandant says:

QMJHL Playoffs are just unfair… 16th place team in an 18 team league gets to play Halifax in the first round.

OUCH 11-1 game 1

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

12. Lafleurguy says:

Steep nosedives by former stars. Gomez of course. But also Kiprusoff, Iginla, Briere, Gaborik, Lecavalier, Ovechkin, (put name here).

“May you live in interesting times.”

13. Habfan10912 says:

Pens up 3-2. Early third.

14. B says:

Halifax wins their first game of the playoffs 11-1. 5 goals and 3 assists for Frk, 6 assists for Drouin, 2 goals and 2 assists for MacKinnon.

–Go Habs Go!–

15. jols101 says:

Columbus just scored 3 goals in a little over 1 minute to make it 4-1 over the Calgary Flames.

Flames are just awful, it should be a full out sale frenzy on April 3rd for them.

16. Habfan10912 says:

Isles up 2-1. Under 3 in period 2.

17. Skepticism says:

Gaborik would look good on the L/W with Pleks and Gionta. He still has another 4-5 good years left. If we can’t win a cup in that amount of time. We’re not progressing as fast as we think.

18. Mondou6 says:

Just bought 2 tickets to the 4/20 game versus the Caps. About $400 on stubhub, in section 335. :-/

Jesus, tickets are expensive. Are we the highest in the league? We must be. I checked Toronto, and I could get better seats for cheaper.

19. Habilis says:

4-0 Caps over the Jets, and Claude Noel looks like he’s about to go on a killing spree.

I’d say that the Caps are to the Jets what the Isles are to the Habs, but we done fixed that last night. Jets, not so much.

20. Habfan10912 says:

Has Washington finally found their game in Winnipeg?

21. Habfan10912 says:

A question for my friend JB if he’s still awake. Is posting while sleeping aka PWS as bad as posting while intoxicated aka PWI?

22. Tis Himself says:

BC/BU (beer) – Hockey East Semi-Final and Jackie Parker’s last kick at the can against the Eagles. This one should be special!

23. habs-hampton says:

From TSN:

Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul, who was suspended two games this week for a hit on Victor Hedman, tweeted in response, “If someone can explain the decisions on what warrants a suspension and what doesn’t, please let me and the rest of guys know.”

Wow, Lupul dares to question the decisions from New York? This should be interesting. I hate the Leafs, but I gotta say, good for you Joffrey! ’cause I have no idea how Nash doesn’t get a couple of games for that hit.

• Habfan10912 says:

If he was talking about last nights Nash hit, he’s right. I wonder if he will suffer the wrath of Daddy Campbell?

• ABHabsfan says:

The explanation is quite simple:
      NYR needs to make the play-offs and you can’t suspend their best player with 19 games left in the season. This was a business decision, nothing else.
      There can’t be any other explanation; I mean he jumped to hit a guy in the head from behind.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

24. Habfan10912 says:

Pens tie it up mid 2nd. 1-1.

25. hockeymaniac31 says:

Thought at least Borque would play tommorrow but guess not. Would like to see both Prust and him play at least one game before if and when they play the Pens and Bruins. Especially Borque since its been a month he’s been out

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m surprised as well. Not sure of the clubs protecol though. He’s practiced with the team with contact this week. No setbacks as far as we’ve heard. Extra careful?

• hockeymaniac31 says:

Then I would definetly put him on the 3rd line with less than 13 minutes of ice time against those two teams. He’ll be so rusty and he’ll probably need to get his lungs back in shape

26. habs001 says:

Tough choice ..the Habs need for the Bruins to loose both games vs the Leafs but based on Leafs sched if they win those two games they are probably in the playoffs…The Habs sched could be pretty tough if the Caps and Flyers start playing better..2 games at Pitts ….2 games with the Jets,Leafs,Bruins,Flyers.Caps

• Habfan10912 says:

I do understand the turmoil but as soon as the puck drops it is impossible for me to hope the Bruins win any hockey game. I just can’t do it. Ever.

• Skepticism says:

One is not much better than the other. White is probably the better fighter

• JohnBellyful says:

Terrorists, who happen to be Bruin fans — news flash! — threaten to detonate a series of planted nuclear devices that will destroy New York and 40 other of the 50 states — or is it 51, I can never remember — unless Bruins win in Montreal. Promise free wings if they do. Conflicted?

• Mondou6 says:

Sorry but that’s not even remotely funny, and pretty offensive if you ask me.

• JohnBellyful says:

You’re right. It was in poor taste, written in haste.
            I should have taken my lead from Hollywood, which produces such gems as Olympus Has Fallen, not to profit on the deaths of many but to … what, send a message?
            How’s this:
            Mobsters, who happen to be Bruin fans — news flash! — threaten to plant whoopee cushions in state capitols across America and embarrass elected officials from both parties unless Bruins win in Montreal.
            Promise free wings if they do.
            Conflicted?

27. frontenac1 says:

Sweet Hands Blunden will be a dominant force tomorrow amigos!

28. CynicalHabsfan says:

Putting aside any personal opinions about PK or his style of play, can everyone agree that we would be WAY better off if he doesn’t win any major awards until after he signs long-term?

I’m pretty sure all this norris talk is freaking MB out. And we need him in a solid state of mind state of mind so he can trick someone into picking up Moen’s contract.

29. habs001 says:

Moen can still be an asset in the playoffs otherwise time to cut him e next year and open up roster spot for a younger player..

30. HNS says:

Cindy looks hurt……his feelings.

31. Garbo says:

What is going on in Long Island?!

Pittsburg being outshot 14-1 in the first.

32. HNS says:

Looks like the isles are taking their frustration of last nite on Pissburgh. Perfect.

33. commandant says:

To Clarify

UND is a lock to be invited to the National Championship tourney. Not a maybe, not a probably. They are 100%. Based on their regular season record and current 10th place position in “pairwise rankings” there is no possible mathematical way that UND can be eliminated this weekend. The only thing to determine is their seed for the tournament and first round opponent.

The current tourney they were eliminated from was the conference championship.

The National Championship Hockey tournament includes all the conference champions = 5. Plus the next 11 teams in PairWise rankings. Since UND is 10th in pairwise, they can’t be eliminated from the tourney, even if 5 crappy regular season teams all pull upsets and win their conference tourneys.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ABHabsfan says:

Thanks for that, I really had no idea how that worked. It seems they have a more complicated route to crowning a champion than NCAA football! Frozen Four, Frozen Five, PairWise, sheesh!!!! When are we signing Kristo? that is really the bottom line

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

34. JohnBellyful says:

I know this is a site dedicated to hockey but you guys are so knowledgeable about so many things — except hockey, oddly enough*** — I figure you could help me out with a pressing matter.
    I need some investment advice:
    What’s the best time to buy a quick-pick 649?
    I’m leaning toward buying a ticket days before the draw rather than the day of, because to have two random events — numbers selected by a computer — happen in the same day seems more unlikely than to have it happen in the space of four days.
    AND do the odds increase if it’s a human — that would be me — who picks the numbers at random, rather than the system, so that when the human’s numbers get picked by a computer, it’s … fate bringing together the thinking and unthinking (that would be me).

*** I was kiddin’, okay?

35. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Rumours of NYR being interested in Dan Boyle. Maybe they trade Gaborik for him? Would be a good hockey trade no?

• Habilis says:

That sounds like a good old “hockey deal”.

Personally I wouldn’t want Gaborik but it might make sense given the two teams’ needs. I’m assuming that SJ needs scoring because I know less than nothing about the west this year. They kind of don’t exist to me outside of trade speculation. Till the playoffs anyhow.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’d want him. He’s been a victim of how terrible they’ve been, and undeservedly was used as Tort’s scapegoat. He was leading NY in goals when he got demoted to the 3rd line. Taylor Pyatt (who I actually like) was getting more minutes than Gaborik.

Everyone talks about Gabby’s lack of defensive game, but Torts quit on him well before he quit on Torts. Never seen a 40 goal scorer, on a team that can’t score, be treated so flippantly.

• showey47 says:

I’d take him also. High cap hit but only 1 year left on it after this one. I think he would thrive under therrien’s system and you would have a motivated player going into ufa next year. You would have to get the rangers to take salary back obviously so it would have to start with kaberle going the other way. After that who knows how much more it would take. But i wouldn’t be upset if moen was part of it. You can get the same amount of production out of blunden or dumont for alot less cap space.

36. Sportfan says:

Out of Toronto Winnipeg and Ottawa which arena would be hardest to play in the playoffs?

37. Sportfan says:

CBC mentioned that Washington is missing a lot of their D and seem like a much smaller team now. Remember how we thought they were huge in the playoffs?

Also Adam Oates is scary he could be Skeletor!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Always thought Schwarzenegger’s ex-wife looked like Skeletor…

38. jimmy shaker says:

Holy crap MT, relax and chill with PK. Good players make mistakes, it’s part of the game…..I think MB needs to have a little pow wow with the coach about his overboard hard ass approach with the team’s best player to date and basically norris trophy winner if he keep’s it up!

Shaker

39. Mark C says:

There are really people who wouldn’t take a 3rd for Micheal flippin’ Blunden? You take that deal in a cocaine heart beat!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would send Blunden to another team for nothing if there were another team willing to take him. He’s a good guy and he isn’t going to see more than a game or two from here in a Habs uniform, in his life. So if he could be accommodated, see ya later Blunden.

• commandant says:

Who said they wouldn’t take a 3rd round pick for Mike Blunden?

Thats just crazy.

Even if you believe we need more depth for the playoffs, you can turn around and flip a third rounder for a better player than Mike Blunden.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mark C says:

Posters below. Some wouldn’t trade Blunden or White for a 3rd. I would trade both, and do as you say, trade for a better player. Take the 3rd then use a 2nd on a legit 5-6 D or 3rd liner.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh boy, guilty as charged.
        Always liked Blunden, think there might be more to him than he’s had a chance to show, despite his age.
        3rd round is minimum 60 guys along…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Actually, I just checked back down the thread and see that there were heavier hitters than myself hanging onto Blunden. Maybe they get up here and help me out!

• Mark C says:

I don’t have anything against Blunden, he’s just a fringe NHLer (if you really believe he’s more than that, then fine, I would agree maybe you don’t trade him). It’s really all about value. Today Matt D’Agostini, along with a conditional 7th was traded for a conditional 4th or 5th. That’s it, for a guy who scored 21 goals in 2010-11. D’ago has fallen on hard times, but it’s difficult for me think this his value is less than Blunden’s.

Like I said above. Take the 3rd and get a better player than Blunden. In short, Blunden +2nd < Dominic Moore type + 3rd

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Strong case. The D’Agostini comparison is very persuasive.
            (Come on Trini! Get your butt up here! Hasn’t even noticed the new page…)

40. Hobie Hansen says:

Would be nice to have Prust and Bourque back in the lineup next week for the Pens and Bruins. Tough two games for those guys to come back and get comfortable again, yikes.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Because Prust doesn’t seem to have a back-down button, and because the Bruins would know he was just back from injury, I hope he doesn’t return til after the Boston game. Shoulders are dicey, playoffs are coming.

That said, from what I saw, the Bruins looked good coming back vs the Sens.