Ryan White sent to Hamilton

So Ryan White was headed somewhere, told not to practice this afternoon in Atlanta before being sent to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

And the Brett Festerling era is over. Acquired from Anaheim in the Maxim Lapierre trade, the defenceman has been dealt to Atlanta for goaltender Drew MacIntyre.

GM Pierre Gauthier will speak to the media around 5 pm ET.

Quick Hit on deadline day

1. Chris says:

I think both guys were excellent acquisitions by the Canucks.  Lapierre is a very good 4th line player that got miscast as a third line player in Montreal.

Chris Higgins was always miscast (often in his own mind) about being a scoring line winger.  When he was put on a checking line and told to focus on that, he excelled.  I still remember him getting a standing ovation against the Bruins in that 2008-09 playoff massacre while killing a penalty, one of the precious few bright spots in an otherwise dark playoff.

In the right roles, these guys make the Canucks a much deeper team.  I think Vigneault is a smart enough coach to keep their heads screwed on straight and focus them on the roles they were brought in to fill, with the payoff of a Stanley Cup being a might powerful motivational tool.

For comparison’s sake, Plekanec (0.667 PPG) and Cammalleri (0.800 PPG) are the only Habs to have scored more points per game since December 1 than Chris Higgins (0.654 PPG).  When you factor in Higgins’ ability to be a good penalty killer and his minimal cap hit ($1.6 M), it’s not hard to see why the Canucks acquired him to bolster their depth for a Stanley Cup run.

2. daveho29 says:

I’m going to be hearing at work I’m sure. The guy who owns the bar where I go absolutley hated Lapierre when the habs played the Canucks.

3. sidhu says:

“Ryan, look kid, you aren’t playing the system.  You try to hit and bang, and sometimes even fight.  You just don’t fit in here.”

4. HUDSONHAB says:

The Nucks don’t need either of them and so anything from them is bonus, they gave up nothing.

I think with some talking to and enthusiasm  they can really help.

….Hab4life….

5. TripleX says:

So let me get this straight.  A player that Montreal management and the coach think is not good enough to make their roster is coveted by the acclaimed best team in the NHL?   Go figure!

6. NightRyder says:

If the Canucks win the Stanley Cup I may have to move.

I am already being inundated by reports extolling the virtues of Higgins and Lapierre, as if the Canuckleheads just acquired Lafleur and Shutt in their prime.

7. VancouverHab says:

[NB: Mr. Boone–not “begs the question” but “raises the question.”]

OK: no trade. Now let’s go back to Scott Gomez.

Empirical this time. Go to NHL.com.  On the games scroll horizontal at the top of the screen, scroll back to the Montreal-Carolina game & watch the HighLights. Give an argument why this is not a reel put together by Gomez’s agent to highlights his (a.) hockey excellence and (b.) worth at contract time.

8. coachdoug says:

Puck Daddy…”I have had bowel movements more explosive than this trade deadline…”

9. Hockey Socks says:

Right, because Ryan White is the key to the Habs’ Stanley Cup aspirations…

10. coachdoug says:

Really?

11. drivefor25 says:

Don’t sound so happy about the Habs going down the toilet in the first round. Some of us might get the idea you’re not a genuine Habs fan!

Fan since ’71

12. Jonson says:

if they trade this guy they are all idiots

13. Connecticut Man1 says:

5 minutes to go…

14. lenny says:

I wish Gomer was told not to practice too….

What are we goig to do with all our D men, both Picard and Mara healthy scratches…..is Wiz and Sopel going to resign?

15. J.J. of Turku says:

Talented guys don’t need to practice?

16. MEGAJOSH says:

Watch it happen; White and a pick to Nashville for Dumont.

17. coachdoug says:

Oduya????

18. Jonson says:

the way i see it , it has to be a major move for this to make sense. If you trade white for another player straight up then the player in return prob wont we anyone special. If they make a major trade i dont see white being enough to be part of it. he is young , fast and tough. why trade that right now?

19. dimitrib says:

White to the Hamilton Bulldogs! e(5)

20. habaholic68NJ says:

White may be headed to Hamilton.

21. coachdoug says:

The blockbuster deal!!!! Plan the parade…

22. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Jason Arnott to the Caps.  Looks like everyone in the east got better except the habs.

23. blu3chip says:

‘Everyone in the east’ as in Rangers, Canes, Panthers, Sens, Caps, and Thrashers? I just don’t understand why no one ever send me a memo for such important events. I mean, you would think NHL cutting the Eastern conference down to 7 teams (with the Habs) is a big deal.

24. Shiloh says:

I guess there could be a few minor deals announced, but we are likely out of the mix again. Sopel and Dawes, baby!

25. Hockey Socks says:

Love what Capitals have done today. Arnott and Wideman are great additions, should put them back in the discussion for East contention. Philly and Boston aren’t the only two scary teams – especially if Ovechkin heats up.

26. habaddict_andy says:

Higgins to Vancouver e4…later CONFIRMED  LOL

Can’t believe I even went to that cheap website.

27. HabFanSince72 says:

I see.

So you don’t know that White has been traded, and if he has been traded you don’t know who for, but  you know that the trade (if it happened) is idiotic.

28. coachdoug says:

Big trade that did not happen today…

POS HIO server to the scrapheap for a server that doesn’t crash like Hall Gill going into the boards…

29. Habnofear says:

Ha ….The one time I want to hear all the opinions of the Fans and down goes the site…….

30. BJ says:

Lapierre and Higgins to the Canucks????

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully we got a little something for White if he’s gone! If he’s gone we actually got smaller at the deadline lol!

32. daveho29 says:

Lapierre to the Canucks

33. HabFanSince72 says:

Hope they win the cup!

34. Greg says:

Gauthier likes the draft, and we don’t have a 2nd rounder right now.  White could be it.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.” -Gordie Howe

35. HUDSONHAB says:

Lappy and Higgins to Van….Hab4life….

36. coachdoug says:

Laps under the bus on TSN…now they are backing over him again…too funny!

37. SeriousFan09 says:

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why Lapierre and Higgins are now Canucks.

Let me be clear, I never disliked them as Habs. I thought Higgins was a solid enough player who kicked in 20 goals a season and gave an honest effort and Lapierre was a great emerging player in 08-09, but as we all know they’ve both battled to have any kind of consistency for at least two years, three in Higgins case.

For a team aspiring to the Cup, Vancouver has taken two players who have identity issue problems, they don’t know what they ought to be doing on the ice too often and the stretch run for the playoffs is a pretty strange time to try and sort these guys out and tell them how they ought to be playing, that’s a project you start at the beginning of the season, not less than 20 games from the playoffs.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

38. avatar_58 says:

Oh my lol if the canucks win the cup now…

39. Rudy says:

Who did they give up for Arnott?

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

40. RJB says:

Hmm, I see what you mean. But for me I see it as a good move for the Nucks. They add Higgins and Lappy to the bottom six, with Malhotra and Torres, thats huge. I think that bottom six now is exactly what Vancouver needs to go deep.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins

41. TomNickle says:

That’s a player agent treating his NHL team like it’s a video game squad by trying to add scoring to his 4th line.

42. observer says:

and higgins currently is out with a broken thumb? unreal

43. HabFarmer says:

So what you’re saying then is that you’re more than happy to make us hear your opinions, but not that interested in hearing back?  Makes sense I suppose.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

44. lenny says:

not to mention trying to get under the opposition skin after the whistle…that is totally against the system

45. Former Jets Fan says:

Other way around.  It was reported Lapierre asked for a trade – so he thought he was too good for this team.

46. observer says:

we do- one was traded for wiz but there is a bonus one for fischer that was traded away

47. Sisterray says:

They’re depth players. If they end up being awful for the Canucks, they’ll just be benched and the team will be back to their current team, which is doing pretty well.

48. likehoy says:

If there was one recent hab I wish the canucks would pick up is scott gomez.

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

49. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I meant the Eastern Conference teams that are in the playoff seeds.  Sorry for the confusion.  Rangers, Caps, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, all loaded up for the playoffs. Sorry if the truth hurts youppi.

50. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I think you’re selling Laps a little short, was he not one of our better forwards in last year’s playoffs? Now the Canucks have two of the greatest yappers in the league, Laps and Burrows, they’ll draw a ton of penalties to keep the Canucks on the PP.

51. Former Jets Fan says:

Higgins is a head-scratcher, but Lapierre has a ‘History will be made’ commercial on his resume.

52. habaddict_andy says:

I think Lapierre is claimed just for the playoffs.  Vancouver has history of not performing well in playoffs.  Higgins..not sure why.

53. Habnofear says:

It’s a good move for the Nucks and great for me cus when my Habs go down the toilet in the 1st round  I get to see Lappy play with Boroughs……I think this is the best thing that happened to Higgy!

54. krob1000 says:

rumour has it the Flyers, Bruins and Penguins made some rather significant moves as well…maybe not as big as Brent Sopel, Nigel Daews or Drew Macintyre?

55. Mr. Biter says:

HIGGINS HAS DONE NOTHING SINCE HE LEFT HERE 112 GAMES 18 GOALS 20 ASSISTS 10PIM. WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP BRINGING HIM UP!

56. A. Berke says:

Unfortunately they didn’t need any 3rd or 4th line centers.

Ali B.

57. blu3chip says:

Oh the truth doesn’t hurt (my orange fur is rather thick).

Your stuff is kinda confusing though.

Those teams have had some significant trades, but nothing really big deal except for a several, e.g. Boston sold their prospect/pick for a pending UFA, Neal for Goligoski (that’s downgrading your D for a PF) etc.

Sometimes it is just better to have no trades and stay put.

58. Jonson says:

yeah yeah, i didnt put much thought into my initial comment. wtv ever though just read my second before you just all ove me