Ruutu gone for two

Jarkko Ruutu has been suspended two games for his elbow to the head of Maxim Lapierre last night (note BGL going toward Ruutu but impeded by the outstretched body of Max, which slows him down enough for Francis Bouillon to get there first).

This will make our own Eric Engels  and a lot of other people happy.

Guy Carbonneau said after the game he hoped the league would review a flagrant head shot.

The league did, and Ruutu is gone … till the next time.

JsIm1hjGNPA

Ruutu will forfeit $13,978.50. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

He will miss Ottawa’s home-and-home series against the Islanders Thursday and Saturday.

"(We’re) disappointed that it is two games, but obviously the NHL
have set a very high standard for a hit like this, that I felt
deflected off the shoulder to the head. Especially for a player with no
history of suspensions, no history of even being called in front of the
league. But we do have to abide by what is called. And obviously going
forward we know now that this is the standard for anybody that gets hit
in the head area," said general manager Bryan Murray in a release on
Wednesday afternoon.

"Well obviously, it is what it is, and I have to live with it," said
Ruutu in a release. "Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but
accidents will happen and I’ll have to deal with the consequences."

Canadiens’ head coach Guy Carbonneau had a different opinion on the matter.

"I think it was a deliberate head shot," Carbonneau told the
Canadian Press Wednesday after team practice. "We all know what kind of
player (Ruutu) is, so I’ll leave it at that."

"I don’t know if the number of games should be influenced (by a
player’s reputation)," Carbonneau added. "But I definitely think if
it’s the kind of player where these things happen a lot, it should
definitely enter into the equation."

Brian Burke is out as GM in Anaheim. Next stop: probably Toronto. But Pierre McGuire says the Rangers may be in the mix.

• Always a good read: Stephen Brunt flaying Gary Bettman

1. Steve C. says:

maybe i need to stay up all night and do it then lol. hopefully it’s overrun by Habs fans. but we need to look out for those Washingot fans getting Semin in and those Carolina fans who are trying to get Niclas Wallin in a la Rory Fitzpatrick.

2. Steve C. says:

I FINALLY VOTED! WOO!

My first votes went to Price, Komi, Markov, Koivu, Kovy, and Tanguay obviously. i’m gonna vote some more, maybe stick Hamrlik in there a few times, who knows?

In the west I chose Luongo, Burns, Phaneuf, Datsyuk, Hossa, and Setoguchi (write-in).

Anyone else care to share who they voted for?

I am having a hard time to vote also, maybe they are over loaded or something.

4. JIMVINNY says:

The server seems to be over-run (with habs fans, I’m sure), but I’m pretty sure that’s the only place to vote.

5. Steve C. says:

is there anywhere else that i can vote? i’m having such a hard time with NHL.com. links would be appreciated.

6. Ian G Cobb says:

Detroit is on it’s way down now, Scotty’s gone.
    Chicago is on it’s way up now, Scotty’s arrived.
    Toronto is on it’s way up now, Fletcher.s arrived.
    Toronto is on it’s way down now, Burke’s arriving.
    Montreal is on top, now, Gainey’s home.

7. Ian G Cobb says:

Where do I vote?

8. JIMVINNY says:

looks like some washington fans are intent on getting Semin in. His votes are climbing quickly.

9. moser17 says:

Ruutu, what a coward. That video shows without an idiot’s doubt that Laraque was going after him but couldn’t get around Lapierre in time, and Ruutu skated like hell at Boullion and attacked him both to avoid Laraque and prevent BGL from entering in as an instigator. A class act doesn’t think up shifty moves like that on the spot; you have to be a real trash heap to do something like that. Ruutu. A real jerk.

10. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Yup….those are the ones :)

11. New says:

Yeah. Imagine if he had elbowed him somewhere vital.

12. sidhu says:

Gotta love Cube – this guy has a huge heart and at times he (a former Captain in junior) and JG (another Captain in junior) have been our most stable, albeit non-flashy, tandem on the ice.

It’s plays like last night’s that make me hope we re-sign him next year, but we’ll see what happens as he may have to take a pay cut to stay on board. I do think, though, that Breezer’s spot will be taken by Weber.

13. New says:

Weren’t the Bronfmans the guys that sold the Habs to Molsons and on the way out took Pollock and appointed Grundman GM for his loyal service? Then Bowman, Lemaire, Dryden began the exodus from Grundman and the Habs? Those Bronfmans?

14. sidhu says:

Yeah man, when I saw that hit, I thought for sure Max would be down and out for a while. Thankfully he got right up.

15. Chuck says:

BGL to Cube on the bench: “Dude, you’re making me look bad!”

__________________________________

16. Jay in PA says:

Peddie’s last words to Tanenbaum this afternoon were, “I know Mama… But he was my GM… I’ll do it.”

Same here.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

18. Chuck says:

Don’t tell me that they’re going to “Old Yeller” the old man!

__________________________________

19. boy from school says:

intent is paramount. ruutu deserves more games than kostopoulos does, and the inconsistency of the nhl doesn’t sit well with me.

20. HugeHabsFan says:

I’m sure that it had to happen at least ONCE??? Maybe? Just once….

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

21. Will Longlade says:

In determining the length of suspensions, the league should be putting more emphasis on the intent of the offending player and the player’s track record as opposed to the outcome of the hit. I agree w/other posters who feel that a two game suspension for a deliberate attempt to injure just doesn’t jive w/Kosto’s three game suspension. Contrary to Ron Wilson’s spin, the contact that Kosto made on Mike Van Ryn is an unavoidable part of a fast & physical game. It wasn’t premeditated in the least. It’s only logical that the league should deal w/premeditated attempts to injure more severely than accidental hits that occur in the “heat of the game”. It’s pretty sad that there’s so much hypocrisy and inconsistency in the league’s handling of this important issue.

22. Jay in PA says:

Do the rings have any ID on them? I believe players’ rings have their names and sweater numbers. Owners are probably another matter, but I think there must be some kind of identifying aspect there.

What kind of rat would knowingly buy such a thing, I wonder?

23. Habs2win says:

remember Ruutu waving at the fans? I say to him now that he’s suspended: nananananananana, hey hey goodbye! what a cheap shot moron!

24. Jay in PA says:

In related news, Richard Peddie has called a midnight meeting with Cliff Fletcher “Just to catch up, you know…” Word has it they’re going to go for a long drive in the country. Also, for some unknown reason, e-mail sent to DraftSchmaft@torontomapleleafs.com is now bouncing back.

Good luck to Burke. If he’d rather live in Toronto and waste his time on a crap franchise than live in Anaheim with a proven winner, he deserves what he gets. I only hope he hires Mike Milbury as his assistant GM. Great minds need great company.

25. Guy21 says:

“Well obviously, it is what it is, and I have to live with it,” said Ruutu in a release. “Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but accidents will happen and I’ll have to deal with the consequences.”

This was from Ruutu and just before that B Murray said it deflected off the shoulder and then to the head…..

This is the problem with the league when he GM sticks up for a moron like Ruutu…

GO HABS GO

26. Mike from Ktown says:

Well as we have seen for some time now in the NHL

Injury >>>>> Intent

27. Jay in PA says:

Esa Tikkanen also comes to mind. It’s not like we invented the breed, or even perfected it, though Claude Lemieux was probably as close as we could get.

28. RetroMikey says:

I would not be surprised if tf they were put up on eBay or Classic Auctions in Montreal by Marc Juteau in the Unites States by Leland’s and Sotheby’s in New York or MastroNet Auctions in Illinois

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

29. Rugger says:

Every time they played I couldn’t understand how he avoided getting pasted by Nilan, Kordic etc

30. HugeHabsFan says:

There’s a blast from the past! Not a great memory, but how could you forget that dude? He certainly was a rat.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

31. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Off topic completely BUT the Bronfman family (who use to own the Habs) got robbed in Toronto and two of their Stanley Cup rings (Habs rings) were stolen. Wonder if we can find them on Craigs List :)

32. notbigbird says:

This is not enough. If Kotso goes for 3 for screw-up play, Rhubarb must go for 5 for intentional head-hunting. BTW, I have no problem with 3 for Kosto, but some consistency is required if this tactic is to be stopped.

33. Rugger says:

Not just Habs, any pest discussion must include Kenny “the Rat” Linsman of the Bruins.

34. HugeHabsFan says:

It’s pure luck that Lapierre wasn’t hurt. Glad to see the league made the right decision.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

35. Rugger says:

Thanks for the video, I did not catch that BGL was delayed but heading that way.

36. Chorske says:

And I’d add that no one is ever going to doubt Lapierre’s toughness. He gets right up and goes after Ruutu… and after the game says he didn’t really notice the hit. Atta boy Max.

37. Chorske says:

Seriously, HUGE props for Bouillon, all 5’8″ and 200 lbs, throwing the dukes with that arse Ruutu, all 6’2″ and 205 lbs.

It’s a measure of Ruutu’s pussiness that he just turtles as soon as Bouillon gets a couple jabs in. I can’t imagine what kind of a drubbing he’d get at the hands of Laraque.

38. Mike from Ktown says:

Voting for our boys is going great so far. Seeing as we can just keep voting, I wonder how hard it would be for me to set up a script to automate the process and let my computer at home run all day.

39. Gorges_the_great says:

Wow. Too bad there’s no award for being hatable. If the Leafs get Brian Burke they’ll be over the top in that category. How do the Leafs get so many of these types? Wilson, Grabovski, Sundin, Tucker, Hollweg…the list goes on…

I still can’t believe Ron Wilson’s comment the other night about “If I shoot you I’ll say you should have had a bullet proof vest on.” No class.

40. bigdave says:

“He’s in the long Canadiens’ tradition of yappy super pests, Doug Risebrough being the classic prototype.” Mike Boone

What about Glenn Sather, Bryan Watson just to name a couple more.

41. TitoS74 says:

Good! He deserved it. Doesn’t seem the League is kidding around no more.

42. JIMVINNY says:

I’ve voted about 20 times, saku, kovy, tanguay, markov, komi, and Price, and I haven’t even looked at the west. Not only are we going to own the eastern starting line-up, those six will be the top vote-getters overall, if I have anything to say about it.

I don’t see a point in voting for Hammer, Higgy, or any of the other guys, because if we manage to get the starting six in, those guys won’t have a chance of being selected anyways. My opinion, anyways. I’ll be ecstatic if the NHL somehow allows us to get six in, nevermind anyone else.

43. SlovakHab says:

Just wonder why the people around the league can’t stand M. Lapierre the way he plays..?

He is on the puck with tenacity every shift and the opposition does not like it , but I love it.

45. Mike Boone says:

46. TommyB says:

To the writer of this article….thank you so very much for pointing out Laroque’s role/lack of role in this incident.

It sickens me to read the chickenshit posts by some of our professed Habs fans on this blog. But then again, being cyber-tough doesn’t require much guts, does it? You all know who you are.

47. 130r says:

I’m a converted Max fan. I think from the 2nd half of last year to now one of our most improved players.

48. Hockey11 says:

Too bad Max was born without hands, he must have little stubs to hold on to his stick.

49. JasonM says:

I have to say, the quickness of the suspension is….. interesting to say the least. Good riddens… can’t wait til the next Habs vs Sens game though… should make things…. interesting. :)))

50. christophurrr says:

i’ll be there next thurs!

51. Chorske says:

They seem to be deciding these things fairly quickly- maybe the rule of thumb is to make a decision before the offending player cn hit the ice again?

52. coutNY says:

It was not luck that Ruutu used Lappy as a moving pick… Clearly seeing BGL going left of Lappy, Jarkko darted away practically jumping into Cubes arms after the offense. Sad to say that Ru-tard will probably end up getting the Chris Simon “lumberjack stick shave” if he keeps it up. Although, it didn’t deter Holl-a-swag from slowing down his antics.

53. fuhgawz says:

LOL Ru-tard love it !!!!

54. filincal says:

i’m glad laps wasn’t hurt.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

55. SlovakHab says:

OK, I see..
    Well, I’d still take Maxim over Ruutu, Chris Simon, Hollweg or Avery on my team any time!

56. Mattee. says:

Clunk!. *Jaw hits floor*

57. habsfansince91 says:

GUYS IF WE CONTINUE VOTING AT THIS RATE, WE’LL HAVE AN ALL HABS STARTING LINEUP FOR THE ALL-STAR GAME. KEEPIT UP!!!!!!

58. DD says:

Again, the BSL drops the ball. They are sending the wrong message to our kids. For the life of me, I don’t understand why they would give Tom Kostopoulos, a player who is known throughout the league (except in toronto, because they’re morons) as a tough but honest player, 3 games for a hit that was just as much Van Ryn’s fault as it was Tom K’s and they give a jack off like Ruutu, a player who is as dirty as they come, 2 games for a blatant attempt to decapitate Lapierre. I guess if you dress like a blue boy, cry & whine and get the biased media to back your case, you get your way.

I’m sick of trying to explain to idiot sens / leaf fans that turning your back to a check is not only stupid, it is just plain dangerous and is something every Canadian kid is taught not to do in Pee Wee. If your in the NHL and you don’t know how to take a check, then hang up the skates and take up ballet.

59. Nahlsy says:

Dustin Brown got nothing for the horrific cheap shot (hit from behind) on Ribeiro last night. Colon Campbell (spelled intentionally) has his head up Buttman’s backside. Both are completely full of crap.

For the sake of correcting you DD, sadly the kids in Peewee are taught to turn their backs these days, the coaches have their kids doing this trying to get powerplays (even if it risks their lives to do so). It’s stupid and needs to change but, with Colon and Butthead running things at the NHL level, nothing logical will ever happen in the sport.

I’m disgusted by the entire lot of it lately.

60. RetroMikey says:

The overrated Brian Burke, going to TO to be with his buddy, coach Ron Wilson.
    Funny how 2 Americans will now be managing and coaching the Leafs.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

61. nightmare_49 says:

Ron Wilson was born in Windsor, Ontario.

62. coutNY says:

Any more funny than an American owning the Canadiens??

63. Morenz7 says:

Astonishingly, Ruutu denied it was a head shot, or even an elbow. I wonder if he floated that b.s. to Colin Campbell.

64. Habsrule1 says:

Me too! Go Habs Go!!

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

65. HabsColor says:

This season in the East, the biggest enemies are from our neighbours: Boston and Buffalo.

66. moser17 says:

The Northeast is a really tough division this year. Even the [spits] Ontario teams are tough, just because there’s raw talent there, and both Toronto and Ottawa are volatile: you never know when they’re going to explode during a game.

67. RetroMikey says:

Ron Wilson holds dual citizenship and has coached Team USA in previous years and played for the US national hockey team throughout his career.
    He’s admitted he’s feels more American than Canadian since he has spent more of his life in the United States than in Canada.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

68. HugeHabsFan says:

Did not know that! Ya learn something new every day! :o)

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

69. Steve C. says:

tsk, once again i can’t vote. i was on a role there voting for the Wings and Habs

70. showey47 says:

agreed, we need bgl for the next 2 games big time. People saying bgl is useless clearly don’t understand hockey. Has anyone ever seen neil so well behaved playing against us? He was barely noticeable. BGL’s presence alone out there protects our players and allows them to play bigger. He doesn’t need to fight twits like ruutu, bouillon did a great job as i think lapierre would also. I don’t care is laraque goes pointless all year as long as he puts the fear in the opposition every night. We have enough guys to fill the net, but only laraque can fill their heads with intimidation.

71. moser17 says:

“People saying bgl is useless clearly don’t understand hockey. Has anyone ever seen neil so well behaved playing against us? He was barely noticeable. BGL’s presence alone out there protects our players and allows them to play bigger.”

Amen, showey. BGL is doing things quite well right now, and I also agree with HAB-PROF: we don’t need a loose cannon. A message is getting out to the other teams in the league: BGL isn’t a crazy nut who’ll take stupid penalties; he’s a power hound that knows when to heel and knows when to attack. And when he comes off the chain, his bite beats his bark all to hell and back.

72. likehoy says:

it’s not even close!! time for carbonneau to make a line change!

73. moser17 says:

I’m really surprised that Ribeiro is leading the West.

74. showey47 says:

I wonder how many times he voted for himself?

75. Steve C. says:

lol i’ve been saying this all night, probably annoying, but vote Canadiens and Red Wings to have a historic starting lineup in the all-star game!

76. Number31 says:

Also voting Gorges.

77. Gorges_the_great says:

Vote Hamrlik! That guy deserves it.

78. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

no. that would have gave him a suspension and he wouldn’t be around for the philly game. Cube did the job, Rutard is not worth BGL’s time. People need to stop questioning the ability of BGL. He is the best at what he does and smart at it…we don’t need a loose cannon.

79. REB2 says:

All kudos to BGL for trying to get the ba$tard, but what about the next time on the ice? That wasn’t the last time BGL was on, nor was it Rutard’s last time….Carbo should have facilitated this retribution.

Like several other people on this site, I think that BGL needs to come down to earth a little bit; BG didn’t buy him just so that he could fight 10-15 other heavyweights in the league. He bought him so that crap like this doesn’t happen, that crap like AK46 doesn’t happen; no way Sauer should have been allowed to avoid BGL because ‘he didn’t want to’. I would even go so far as to say that BGL should have met Rutard on the way to the sinbin and beat the living snot out of him…now THAT would send a message throughout the league!

80. Steve C. says:

I know we aren’t Red Wings fans, but i think it would be really cool to have a starting line-up featuring the two classiest organizations facing off. there are 6 Red Wings players that we can vote for. Maybe my idea is stupid to some, but i think it would be neat. It would be the first time in NHL history that this would happen i’m sure.

Steve C.

81. Fansincebirth says:

Hey, Jerko Doodoo, we have long (and good) memories.

BGL has your number a-hole!

82. Bugs says:

That we got back on track is the main issue. Ruutu was merely a witness.
    Senators: No more. Canadiens rule the Senate now.
    Habs Brothers has more on the Canadiens “losing streak.”
    – Canadiens pull themselves out of the mire
    If your heart can take such machiavellism, scroll down for the dastardly brilliant “Sundin joins cast of Desperate Housewives.”
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

83. BIG-D says:

Justice served…………..

84. Habs fan in SF says:

ok long story but I just watched the game tonight. I recorded the but I was locked out of my apartment due to forgetting my keys at work. Thank god I have a girlfriend! I had to stop myself from going online and finding the score today and asking my friends not to tell me the score. But anyways this was a solid game. We played great defensively and very disciplined. So happy for higgy and we are NOT trading him. Rhuutu’s antics disgusted me. Him raising his stick after getting a 10 min misconduct was bush league! You think BGL didn’t tear his head off cuz they were teamates in pitt last season? And I agree Laraque looks very slow and he hasn’t done anything to impact the team yet.

85. Steve C. says:

Justice served for Ruutu’s elbow, but I actually thought him waving to the crowd was funny. He might be a jerk, but at least he has a sense of humour and isn’t afraid to have a little fun with the fans. I had no problem with him waiving to the crowd.