Ruutu gone for two

Jarkko Ruutu has been suspended two games for his elbow to the head of Maxim Lapierre last night (note BGL going toward Ruutu but impeded by the outstretched body of Max, which slows him down enough for Francis Bouillon to get there first).

This will make our own Eric Engels  and a lot of other people happy.

Guy Carbonneau said after the game he hoped the league would review a flagrant head shot.

The league did, and Ruutu is gone … till the next time.

JsIm1hjGNPA

Ruutu will forfeit $13,978.50. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

He will miss Ottawa’s home-and-home series against the Islanders Thursday and Saturday.

"(We’re) disappointed that it is two games, but obviously the NHL
have set a very high standard for a hit like this, that I felt
deflected off the shoulder to the head. Especially for a player with no
history of suspensions, no history of even being called in front of the
league. But we do have to abide by what is called. And obviously going
forward we know now that this is the standard for anybody that gets hit
in the head area," said general manager Bryan Murray in a release on
Wednesday afternoon.

"Well obviously, it is what it is, and I have to live with it," said
Ruutu in a release. "Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but
accidents will happen and I’ll have to deal with the consequences."

Canadiens’ head coach Guy Carbonneau had a different opinion on the matter.

"I think it was a deliberate head shot," Carbonneau told the
Canadian Press Wednesday after team practice. "We all know what kind of
player (Ruutu) is, so I’ll leave it at that."

"I don’t know if the number of games should be influenced (by a
player’s reputation)," Carbonneau added. "But I definitely think if
it’s the kind of player where these things happen a lot, it should
definitely enter into the equation."

Brian Burke is out as GM in Anaheim. Next stop: probably Toronto. But Pierre McGuire says the Rangers may be in the mix.

• Always a good read: Stephen Brunt flaying Gary Bettman

1. Steve C. says:

maybe i need to stay up all night and do it then lol. hopefully it’s overrun by Habs fans. but we need to look out for those Washingot fans getting Semin in and those Carolina fans who are trying to get Niclas Wallin in a la Rory Fitzpatrick.

2. Steve C. says:

I FINALLY VOTED! WOO!

My first votes went to Price, Komi, Markov, Koivu, Kovy, and Tanguay obviously. i’m gonna vote some more, maybe stick Hamrlik in there a few times, who knows?

In the west I chose Luongo, Burns, Phaneuf, Datsyuk, Hossa, and Setoguchi (write-in).

Anyone else care to share who they voted for?

I am having a hard time to vote also, maybe they are over loaded or something.

4. JIMVINNY says:

The server seems to be over-run (with habs fans, I’m sure), but I’m pretty sure that’s the only place to vote.

5. Steve C. says:

is there anywhere else that i can vote? i’m having such a hard time with NHL.com. links would be appreciated.

6. Ian G Cobb says:

Detroit is on it’s way down now, Scotty’s gone.
    Chicago is on it’s way up now, Scotty’s arrived.
    Toronto is on it’s way up now, Fletcher.s arrived.
    Toronto is on it’s way down now, Burke’s arriving.
    Montreal is on top, now, Gainey’s home.

7. Ian G Cobb says:

Where do I vote?

8. JIMVINNY says:

looks like some washington fans are intent on getting Semin in. His votes are climbing quickly.

9. moser17 says:

Ruutu, what a coward. That video shows without an idiot’s doubt that Laraque was going after him but couldn’t get around Lapierre in time, and Ruutu skated like hell at Boullion and attacked him both to avoid Laraque and prevent BGL from entering in as an instigator. A class act doesn’t think up shifty moves like that on the spot; you have to be a real trash heap to do something like that. Ruutu. A real jerk.

10. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Yup….those are the ones 🙂

11. New says:

Yeah. Imagine if he had elbowed him somewhere vital.

12. sidhu says:

Gotta love Cube – this guy has a huge heart and at times he (a former Captain in junior) and JG (another Captain in junior) have been our most stable, albeit non-flashy, tandem on the ice.

It’s plays like last night’s that make me hope we re-sign him next year, but we’ll see what happens as he may have to take a pay cut to stay on board. I do think, though, that Breezer’s spot will be taken by Weber.

13. New says:

Weren’t the Bronfmans the guys that sold the Habs to Molsons and on the way out took Pollock and appointed Grundman GM for his loyal service? Then Bowman, Lemaire, Dryden began the exodus from Grundman and the Habs? Those Bronfmans?

14. sidhu says:

Yeah man, when I saw that hit, I thought for sure Max would be down and out for a while. Thankfully he got right up.

15. Chuck says:

BGL to Cube on the bench: “Dude, you’re making me look bad!”

__________________________________

16. Jay in PA says:

Peddie’s last words to Tanenbaum this afternoon were, “I know Mama… But he was my GM… I’ll do it.”

Same here.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

18. Chuck says:

Don’t tell me that they’re going to “Old Yeller” the old man!

__________________________________

19. boy from school says:

intent is paramount. ruutu deserves more games than kostopoulos does, and the inconsistency of the nhl doesn’t sit well with me.

20. HugeHabsFan says:

I’m sure that it had to happen at least ONCE??? Maybe? Just once….

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

21. Will Longlade says:

In determining the length of suspensions, the league should be putting more emphasis on the intent of the offending player and the player’s track record as opposed to the outcome of the hit. I agree w/other posters who feel that a two game suspension for a deliberate attempt to injure just doesn’t jive w/Kosto’s three game suspension. Contrary to Ron Wilson’s spin, the contact that Kosto made on Mike Van Ryn is an unavoidable part of a fast & physical game. It wasn’t premeditated in the least. It’s only logical that the league should deal w/premeditated attempts to injure more severely than accidental hits that occur in the “heat of the game”. It’s pretty sad that there’s so much hypocrisy and inconsistency in the league’s handling of this important issue.

22. Jay in PA says:

Do the rings have any ID on them? I believe players’ rings have their names and sweater numbers. Owners are probably another matter, but I think there must be some kind of identifying aspect there.

What kind of rat would knowingly buy such a thing, I wonder?

23. Habs2win says:

remember Ruutu waving at the fans? I say to him now that he’s suspended: nananananananana, hey hey goodbye! what a cheap shot moron!

24. Jay in PA says:

In related news, Richard Peddie has called a midnight meeting with Cliff Fletcher “Just to catch up, you know…” Word has it they’re going to go for a long drive in the country. Also, for some unknown reason, e-mail sent to DraftSchmaft@torontomapleleafs.com is now bouncing back.

Good luck to Burke. If he’d rather live in Toronto and waste his time on a crap franchise than live in Anaheim with a proven winner, he deserves what he gets. I only hope he hires Mike Milbury as his assistant GM. Great minds need great company.

25. Guy21 says:

“Well obviously, it is what it is, and I have to live with it,” said Ruutu in a release. “Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but accidents will happen and I’ll have to deal with the consequences.”

This was from Ruutu and just before that B Murray said it deflected off the shoulder and then to the head…..

This is the problem with the league when he GM sticks up for a moron like Ruutu…

GO HABS GO

26. Mike from Ktown says:

Well as we have seen for some time now in the NHL

Injury >>>>> Intent

27. Jay in PA says:

Esa Tikkanen also comes to mind. It’s not like we invented the breed, or even perfected it, though Claude Lemieux was probably as close as we could get.

28. RetroMikey says:

I would not be surprised if tf they were put up on eBay or Classic Auctions in Montreal by Marc Juteau in the Unites States by Leland’s and Sotheby’s in New York or MastroNet Auctions in Illinois

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

29. Rugger says:

Every time they played I couldn’t understand how he avoided getting pasted by Nilan, Kordic etc

30. HugeHabsFan says:

There’s a blast from the past! Not a great memory, but how could you forget that dude? He certainly was a rat.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

31. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Off topic completely BUT the Bronfman family (who use to own the Habs) got robbed in Toronto and two of their Stanley Cup rings (Habs rings) were stolen. Wonder if we can find them on Craigs List 🙂

32. notbigbird says:

This is not enough. If Kotso goes for 3 for screw-up play, Rhubarb must go for 5 for intentional head-hunting. BTW, I have no problem with 3 for Kosto, but some consistency is required if this tactic is to be stopped.

33. Rugger says:

Not just Habs, any pest discussion must include Kenny “the Rat” Linsman of the Bruins.

34. HugeHabsFan says:

It’s pure luck that Lapierre wasn’t hurt. Glad to see the league made the right decision.

………..

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

35. Rugger says:

Thanks for the video, I did not catch that BGL was delayed but heading that way.

36. Chorske says:

And I’d add that no one is ever going to doubt Lapierre’s toughness. He gets right up and goes after Ruutu… and after the game says he didn’t really notice the hit. Atta boy Max.

37. Chorske says:

Seriously, HUGE props for Bouillon, all 5’8″ and 200 lbs, throwing the dukes with that arse Ruutu, all 6’2″ and 205 lbs.

It’s a measure of Ruutu’s pussiness that he just turtles as soon as Bouillon gets a couple jabs in. I can’t imagine what kind of a drubbing he’d get at the hands of Laraque.

38. Mike from Ktown says:

Voting for our boys is going great so far. Seeing as we can just keep voting, I wonder how hard it would be for me to set up a script to automate the process and let my computer at home run all day.

39. Gorges_the_great says:

Wow. Too bad there’s no award for being hatable. If the Leafs get Brian Burke they’ll be over the top in that category. How do the Leafs get so many of these types? Wilson, Grabovski, Sundin, Tucker, Hollweg…the list goes on…

I still can’t believe Ron Wilson’s comment the other night about “If I shoot you I’ll say you should have had a bullet proof vest on.” No class.

40. bigdave says:

“He’s in the long Canadiens’ tradition of yappy super pests, Doug Risebrough being the classic prototype.” Mike Boone

What about Glenn Sather, Bryan Watson just to name a couple more.

41. TitoS74 says:

Good! He deserved it. Doesn’t seem the League is kidding around no more.

42. JIMVINNY says:

I’ve voted about 20 times, saku, kovy, tanguay, markov, komi, and Price, and I haven’t even looked at the west. Not only are we going to own the eastern starting line-up, those six will be the top vote-getters overall, if I have anything to say about it.

I don’t see a point in voting for Hammer, Higgy, or any of the other guys, because if we manage to get the starting six in, those guys won’t have a chance of being selected anyways. My opinion, anyways. I’ll be ecstatic if the NHL somehow allows us to get six in, nevermind anyone else.