Roy’s Avalanche has best record in NHL at 11-1-0

The Canadiens, coming off a 4-3 loss in Minnesota Friday night, will take on Patrick Roy’s Avalanche Saturday in Colorado (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

This marks the first time the two teams will meet since Oct. 15, 2011 when the Avalanche beat the Canadiens 6-5 in a shootout. The Avalanche won their fifth straight game Friday night, beating the Stars 3-2 in overtime in Dallas. The Avalanche (11-1-0) has the best record in the NHL under rookie coach Royafter finishing with the second-worst record last season (16-25-7).

“Right now, we’re playing very good. We’re playing solid hockey,” Roy told NHL.com. “We work hard. The thing that I like is before games we’re always really well-prepared and we focus. When we jump on the ice, we have good starts and that’s what we want.”

The Canadiens held an optional skate Saturday morning in Denver with only seven players taking part: Peter Budaj, Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, Ryan White, Michael Blunden, George Parros and Greg Pateryn.

Budaj, who played in Colorado for six seasons, will get the start in goal. Budaj has a 2-0 record this season with one shutout, a 0.50 goals-against average and a .982 save percentage.

Max Pacioretty, who has been sidelined since Oct. 15 with a hamstring injury, will return to the Canadiens’ lineup against the Avalanche.

(Photo by Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

Canadiens vs. Avalanche preview, NHL.com

Avalanche defeats Stars in OT, Denver Post

Avalanche to retire Foote’s No. 52 before Habs game, Denver Post

Avalanche exceeding expectations by far, Denver Post

Empty seats in Colorado for vastly improved Avalanche, Denver Post

Varlamov’s girlfriend gives media interview, Denver Post

1. sweetmad says:

I do not understand,the adoration for Roy,the man is a thug.I don’t care if he was a great goalie or if he is a terrific coach,he is no better than,the goalie he played last night.

I have read he is a great person,or seems to be,so do many pshycopaths.The man hits women,teaches his kids to fight,he is a thug.

Men hitting women is unforgivable,have you ever ben beaten by a man twice your size,with children there,nothing ever makes that right,great goalie or not.

• FANHABULOUS says:

I wrote this below, but wanted to reply to you as well.

As you can see from my pic, I have always been a Roy fan… he was my fav player growing up, he’s actually the reason I became a hockey fan as a kid (its a long story). Anyhow, there is one irrefutable truth when it comes to Roy: he is a winner. Always has been, and always will be.

I always admired his passion. He was a little flamboyant too, confident to the point that others thought he was cocky. Who from the current team does that sound like?!? There is something special about this guy, and I really hoped they would give him the chance. The Habs have lacked that type of personality, the larger than life figure. He would’ve been the tonic to turn this team’s misfortune of 20 years around. People dismissed him because oh his lack of experience… he could’ve surrounded himself with some X’s and Os guys, that part is easy… but he would have brought that little bit of charisma and confidence to the squad.

Anyhow, we haven’t had a personality like that, the guy with a little “magic” in him in a loooong time… and we finally have Subban. Let’s hope we don’t make the same mistake twice.

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Max_a_million says:

Hockey heroes, not personal heroes. Many sports legends live personal lives we would not condone. We all make mistakes. He’s not in jail.

This is a superstar of the first order who earned it. Our last great legend. Oh we love Patrick for all the right reasons.

• Da Hema says:

It’s the classic challenge of distinguishing between talented people and their personalities — and judging when their personalities are so problematic that the talents they exercise are not worth it.

• Max_a_million says:

Roy’s issues seem minor compared with many. It is distinguishing between the two yes.

• sweetmad says:

Yes Hitler was a larger than life person,did a lot of good things for the Germans.He was a hero to them to start with.

I am sorry,but for me the actions of a person like this, means more to me, than the fact he has a larger than life pesoanlity.

You have it right Da Hema,but talent can never make up for bad treatmnt,of another human being.

I was held down by my first husband,and smashed in the face with a ring,until my face was black and blue, ripped and bleeding,Roy is a big man,I have no idea how big his wife was,but I know the terror she must have felt.Subjecting anyone to that is unforgivable,nd yet people call him saint,that sickens me.

• Da Hema says:

I am very sorry to hear of your past sweet. The fact that you refer to your first husband in the past tense speaks volumes about your courage and perseverance. Your experience with the effects of domestic violence is a sobering counterpoint.

2. HabsFanInTampa says:

Correct me if I’m wrong. I believe the new playoff format is as follows: The top 3 teams in each division make the playoffs. Then the next 2 teams with the best records in the conference, regardless of division, make the playoffs. Right?

3. mksness says:

so we’re playing one of the hottest teams right now and our #1 goalie isn’t playing? i get this is a back to back but man price should be getting this start

RDS’s title “This is a special game for Roy”.

Translation: Roy wants to stick it to the Habs again. This time as a coach.

5. JM says:

AV’s will win tonight. Won’t matter who the Habs have in their lineup.

6. rhino514 says:

I will bite.
    Why are people saying Therrien has a problem with Subban?

• Da Hema says:

No one here in HIO really knows whether Therrien has a problem with Subban. The problem, I think, is Therrien.

• Timo says:

And no-one in the media has the balls to ask him.

• Da Hema says:

I was really surprised to learn that reporters have to submit questions to the coaches prior to interviews — and the Canadian media didn’t tell the NHL teams to go to hell. I guess the halcyon days of the critical and fearless journalist are long gone in this country.

• Max_a_million says:

He doesn’t play in the last 2 minutes of close games. Therrien always makes a point of questioning his play his pinches and such even on nights PK carries the team. He doesn’t do this with anyone else.

He never says ‘wow PK was pretty awesome and carried us tonight’ on nights when it’s true either.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Max, I don’t get to watch those press conferences. Does Therrien ever say anyone else is awesome?

• Timo says:

He doesn’t say awesome, but sometimes he would say that this players or that play had a good game and did some good thigns, etc. I don’t watch many of his conferences either because it’s not good for my blood pressure, but I distinctly remember him going out of his way to say that DD had a good game when he had his first “decent” game of the season.

• Max_a_million says:

He does fawn over most of the rest of lineup yes.

The difference with PK is quite noticeable.

• rhino514 says:

So he is tougher with Subban. So what? He has said on a few occasions that different players respond to different coaching. Some players confidence is too fragile and they can´t take any heat. Other players respond better to being told straight when they aren´t playing up to par. Subban is a confident young man and probably responds better to the latter.
      Regarding the penalty kill, if I had to choose having PK on the PP or on the PK, I would rather have him on the PP. At least if the PK is not doing terribly bad.
      BTW didn´t we already see this movie when JM was coach? Then the problem was JM, now it´s Therrien?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think they are saying this because Therrien is a hard man to like. Therrien doesn’t say much good about anybody, and seems to be the same old grumpy bully he always was, albeit a bully with good hockey tactics. PK is an easy to like superstar in the making who, it can be argued, responded well to a framework to play within last season. I mean, he seemed to do okay…
      The season before, the kid had free rein and he was a bit of a disaster, given his enormous talent. As uncool as I sound for saying this, PK gets a little bit carried away sometimes and seems to break down as a team player. He’s doing it less and less, and I think it’s time to give him room to play his game. But his penalties and his judgement are questionable sometimes, as befits his age. He needed a tough coach to rise to the Norris level, and he may still need a tough one to keep him there.
      Therrien is a tough coach. He also seems to be an a-hole, which complicates things.

• Da Hema says:

I agree Therrien considers himself a “tough guy.” What I can’t understand is your claim he possesses “good hockey tactics.” Could you elaborate on that please?

7. ccs says:

Last night when the Habs were down 3-1 I said to myself OK now PK will take over and do his thing. It seems to me that once the game plan of MT goes to S#it then PK says to himself screw this I’m gonna play this game the way I can. And then he lights it up and gets a few points. Imagine a coach that let PK do what PK does best. I cannot wait for that day to come….On second thought I vote PK for Captain, Coach and General Manager….Go PK Go.

8. jrshabs1 says:

not too long ago many of the HIO regulars shot down any mention of St. Pat coming home to coach our beloved Habs. Alas, those people have been proven wrong…will they admit it?

Go Habs Go!!

• Da Hema says:

I have some reason now to reassess my then-judgment. See below. But I did not support hiring Therrien though.

• Max_a_million says:

It made many people really angry, and anyone who suggested it as a good choice were idiots who just don’t understand hockey at all.

He was an unseasoned coach who would ruin the team. Heck he might even alienate our best players like PK …

• Timo says:

Same people who thought/still think that hiring Therrien was a good thing?

• Max_a_million says:

I was too harsh on Therrien at the time. Didn’t like it. He has been better than I thought. He still might mess this thing up. Bergevin not as good as I thought. the ghost left us with the best stock of 24 and under talent of any team in the league.

• jols101 says:

Roy wanted a say in player personnel. He has that title in Colorado. I don’t think Bergevin was willing to give him that in Montreal. If he just wanted to coach I think Patrick may have been Bergevin’s choice.

• Max_a_million says:

He didn’t get a second interview. He wasn’t in the top 3, and was only spoken to as a courtesy to his legendary status with the Canadiens. He wasn’t close.

• FANHABULOUS says:

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

Holy shit… I just realize that with the Foote’s retirement ceremony I may actually get to watch the game live. Can’t wait to read ALL of Boone’s blog. It is so inspiring.

10. Max_a_million says:

Penciling in – if we pencil in some salaries for next season top end figures (in millions rounded to tenths)
    D: Signed – Gorges 3.9, Emelin 4.1, Drewiskie 0.6
    call up – Tinordi 0.9, Beaulieu 0.9
    To sign – Markov 5.0 million, Subban 8.0 million

G: Signed – Price 6.5, Budaj 1.4

C: Signed – Pleks 5.0, Deshanais 3.5, Galy 0.9
    to sign – Eller 4 million, White 0.7

F: Signed – Pacioretty 4.5, Briere 4.0, Bourque 3.3, Prust 2.5, Moen 1.9, Gallagher 0.7, Bournival 0.7
    to sign – Leblanc 1.0, Gionta???

So siging the following players for these dollars or less:
    Pk 8.0, Markov 5.0, Eller 4.0, Leblanc 1.0, White 0.7, and calling up Tinordi and Beaulieu … leaves at 64 million

Letting go of Bouillon, Murray, and maybe Diaz; Letting go of Blunden, Parros, and maybe Gionta.

Thats 7 D, 2 G, 5 C, F – 8 … and 1 d and 1 f Diaz and Gionta I’m not sure of. It’s not horrible, although the Briere, Desharnais, and Moen contracts hurt us to the tune of 9.4 million

• jols101 says:

Pleks makes 5 million and if Markov agrees to 5 million a year we will be awful lucky. I don’t see him taking a pay decrease. He is playing awesome, almost like the Markov of 5 or 6 years ago.

• Max_a_million says:

Thanks, I fixed it. The figures were right in my calculations.
        Even Markov at 5.75 is okay. I think Leblanc can be cut under 1 millon, PK should come in a little south of 8 million, I bet Eller at 4 is right on the nose hopefully for 6 years. I was trying to be conservative, but might have been low on Markov. Do we sign Gionta again? Diaz?

• jols101 says:

Yep, I agree with all that. I hope Bergevin trades Gionta and Diaz at the deadline. We need to make room for some young guys eventually, plus I’m not sure we will be able to fit Gionta and Diaz under the cap. It depends on how much it rises I guess.

Man, reading you guys doesn’t make me feel any better about tonight’s tilt.
    Also, little inspires hope in Habs short term future with Therrien and Bergevin at the helm.

Does anyone know if Therrien and Bergevin had been dealing with each other in the past? Trying to gauge if Bergevin has any kind of warm and fuzzy feelings towards Therrien and would he thing twice before firing his a@@.

12. Mavid says:

Jet vs Hawks..boys vs men..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

13. Da Hema says:

The subject of controversy today is Michel Therrien and his treatment of Subban. I have some thoughts on this. I don’t know whether Therrien is a racist or bigot — the Habs’s players would likely know — but even if he isn’t, his general treatment and on-ice use of Subban raises questions about his coaching judgment. Great coaches understand the needs of their teams and the idiosyncrasies of their players. That is why Scott Bowman is a legend. Even decent coaches recognize their talented players and treat them accordingly. I can’t help but compare the treatment Subban gets versus what past Norris trophy winners receive. I can assure you, for example, that Claude Julien listens to Zdeno Chara.

I was one of the posters here who did not want Patrick Roy coaching the Canadiens — mostly because I found his some of his tactics at the junior level despicable. And yet there is little doubt his players in Colorado play hard for him. Perhaps Roy might have been the right coach for the Canadiens since he understands what a passionate player, like PK Subban, is all about. I do know this: Michel Therrien was fired by one of the most talented teams in the NHL when he was with Pittsburgh — and you can be damned certain Sidney Crosby had influence in that decision. Of the possible explanations for Therrien’s failures — bigot, oaf, or bad coach — I think he is simply a poor coach.

14. habsfan0 says:

ANOTHER measuring stick game for the Habs.
    Fortunately,Boone still has an abundant supply of slide rulers.

15. Mavid says:

hockey on all afternoon, and here I was doing housework..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

16. frontenac1 says:

@elle. Thanks for confirming that it was in fact real. I was worried.And by the way, it was a great pleasure meeting you. Saludos!

17. Max_a_million says:

Patrick Roy was a terrible choice for coach why exactly?!?

• Timo says:

I remember it was said at the time that Roy’s condition for being a head coach was to also have pretty much uncontested ability to make personnel decisions, including trades. I may be wrong as it was a while back but something along those line.

At Molson Inc. sh!t like that doesn’t fly.

• Max_a_million says:

That really sucks for Colorado because Roy is really screwing that team up. The really got hosed over in the Talbot deal, non? Colorado isn’t performing incredibly well with young forwards getting big ice team, a suspect D, and goalies that weren’t rated so highly.

Total sarcasm there.

18. SteverenO says:

The price you pay……

Prior to yesterdays game. White had played 94 minutes at even strength , only 2 goals allowed with White on the ice.

Blunden had played 31 minutes and no goals were scored upon the Habs.

Holland had played 33 minutes , also no goals allowed.

Remove Holland and add Parros to the mix and 3 goals are allowed in 5 minutes.

Is anyone shocked by this?

While Parros was goods defensively in the past, 3 seasons ago and two seasons ago the opponents rarely scored when Parros was patrolling the ice surface. In 2011- one goal allowed every 55 minutes and in 2012 – one GA every 59 minutes. Last season, however, his numbers went downhill, substantially. In 256 minutes of action he was on for 20 goals against, while his team, the Panthers, managed a total of 5 Goals. The average of one GA every 13 minutes, is impossible to ignore. It is equivalent to a goalie have a 5.00 GAA.

The price you pay to have an enforcer in the lineup..

Its also the price you pay for signing an enforcer who is almost 34 years old and likely past his prime. If the goal is to fight there has to be a ton of young studs who will gladly bash heads for NHL minimum salary.

Speaking of enforcers….anyone remember Globensky?

regards,

Steve O.

• CranbrookEd says:

I have a very clear memory of Allan Globensky at a pickup ball game on the diamond between the Royal Canadian Legion and the wading pool in “the Park”, busy squeezing a couple of rubber balls . . . strengthening his forearms/wrists in between seasons – I was “younger” and do not remember at what stage of his career that he was at, but never-the-less, it is a memory that I do have! :)

. . . ah yes, summer days in Greenfield Park . . .

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

19. JF says:

It just occurred to me that we could face the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs. We can mock them all we want, but the Leafs are a good team, better than the Habs. They’re bigger and tougher, they have more offensive depth, they’re getting the goaltending. They could win the Divsion or even the Conference, while we’ll almost certainly be in wild card territory if we make the playoffs at all. What burns me up most about the new alignment and playoff formula (aside from the fact that all the western teams have an unfair advantage) is that we could finish ahead of a couple of teams in the other division but still end up facing a top team or even missing the playoffs altogether.

20. frontenac1 says:

Watching the Hawks/Jets game and every time Toews touches the puck he gets booed! Just like when PK was out there. What’s up with those fans in The Peg?

• JUST ME says:

We do the same thing with every player we respect,we fear and would like to have on our team. Of course you understand that this does not include players wearing the Bruins uniform.

• jols101 says:

Toews is a hometown hero in Winnipeg. They love him. It is Patrick Kane that is getting booed every time he touches the puck. Not sure why though.

21. Strabo says:

The team with the worse record gets the claim on waivers, if more than one team puts in a claim.
    Montreal is 15th overall.
    Winnipeg is 21st overall
    Winnipeg gets the claim. Is that correct?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

22. L Elle says:

@front. I’ve been seeing that commercial for awhile now. MB and Breezer selling tires on RDS every commercial break. I don’t get it. Does he really need more exposure and/or money?

23. duffy says:

I would think if Therrien has a problem with Subban then Therrien should be the one to leave.

24. Habcouver says:

Keaton Ellerby claimed off waivers by Jets from Kings
    Could he have helped Habs?

Waiting patiently for #25

25. Max_a_million says:

Racism is couched and hidden these days. I’m not even sure most of the people who practice it realize that they are. It’s just curious how differently PK is treated. It’s a question that needs to be asked. Why is PK being treated differently?

No one can argue that Raffy Diaz is a better defender in ANY circumstance than PK. It’s ridiculous.

• Phil C says:

Is he really being treated that differently? What if Louis Leblanc was black? I am pretty sure the racist comment would be flying in his case as well. It is too easy and lazy to conclude that any negative treatment is because he is black.

As for not getting interest for the Olympic team, the two of players (ie right-handed D-men) ahead of him played on the team before (Weber and Doughty), so they are practically locks for the team. Pietrangelo has only 2 points less than Subban and his coach is one of team Canada’s coaches. I think they would be nuts not to take Subban, but it is plausible that they would prefer Pietrangelo.

As for Therrien not praising him in public, Subban qualifies for arbitration next year. Given how the negotiation went last time, it is very possible they end up in arbitration. It happened two years ago with Shea Weber. Given that the club may be arguing why they should be paying him less in a few months, shouldn’t they be careful what the say about him in public? Maybe they should just stick to neutral comments and “team first” platitudes? You know, just like Therrien is doing?

• Max_a_million says:

Coaches don’t play into the arbitration game, that would be ridiculous. It may be the there is nothing to it. Eric Engles puts forth a really good article on giving everyone a role:

Then again no one else gets criticized the way PK does, and by so many sources. We deal with it with the president here in the US. No president has ever been treated the way this one does. It’s definitely fair to ask the question, and point it out. Why is he being treated differently? Right shots and left shots never mattered before, that’s silly. We are talking about the best players in the world. PK is easily one of the best 6 defenceman in the world, let alone Canada.

• Phil C says:

I personally agree with the left-shot, right shot thing, so I don’t see that as a problem.

Your linked article would explain why Diaz gets the 1st pairing PK role, a job he is doing very well. Giving everyone a role must be good for team esprit de corps.

Your question is fair: Why is he being treated differently? That is different from asking “Are you treating him differently because you are a racist?” The second question is loaded.

• Habitforming says:

I don’t care about the politics of the game and MT’s obvious bias against PK. Team Canada has to consider PK’s 300+ games on Olympic ice.

If they do, this is a no brainer.

26. Steeltown Hab says:

Legitimate question: Would Desharnais light up the AHL if he was sent down?

I just watch Bournival (Clearly better player) and think of how he put up 30 pts in 69 games last year. Do we think DD would maintain a PPG pace if sent down over an extended period of time?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Max_a_million says:

He would light up the AHL with Pacioretty on his wing I bet.

• habcertain says:

I think we should give it a shot…..just to see, maybe 4 or 5 months just to get a good sampling.

• JUST ME says:

I think he would. I am just getting at the end of my rope with him. I fail to see how his lack of succes is always due to his linemates. I could understand that with Cole being traded and Max Pac playing part of last season injured it kind of changed things but you have to make your own place and not always rely on others…

27. montreal ace says:

I think the game tonight is going to be very interesting, as I think it’s a measuring stick, concerning the character of the team. The players tonight have a chance to show, how they feel towards the Coach and GM, with the best possible effort they can muster. I hope we come out like a team possessed, and slap Roy with by winning in his building.

• Da Hema says:

I hope you are right. It sure seems as if each time a former Hab comes to town in the last 20 years — player or otherwise — they burn the team badly. It would be nice for a change to see the Habs get fired up for an opponent instead of them embarrassing us.

• Timo says:

What if they don’t feel that way about Therrien?

28. HabFab says:

Dave Stubbs – Habs lineup vs #Avs not likely to be announced before 7:45 pm ET when Therrien has his pre-game briefing w/ team broadcasters. So for the next 4 1/2 hours, go nuts speculating who will be in or out for #Habs vs #Avs tonight.

As if encouragement is needed.

29. HabFab says:

Frank Seravalli – Flyers say Downie will spend tonight in the hospital as well and he’s out indefinitely with a concussion. Lecavalier: facial contusion.

30. frontenac1 says:

So,if Bleuet is on AC tonight and Roy is invited on, will PJ Stock be the Ref?

31. Phil C says:

The Wilde article comes dangerously close to calling Therrien a bigot and a racist. If the reporter knows something that is not known to the public, then he should out Therrien completely. PK deserves better.

But if Therrien is not a racist and has legitimate reasons for his decisions, then these types of allegations are reckless and maybe even libelous. If I were Therrien, I would not be happy about such an allegation. I would be getting a lawyer and demanding a retraction.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Well he clearly references most of the hockey community, Mike Richards and other who have taken jabs at Subban while so many players act the same way.

I see nothing wrong with him raising the question people have been saying out loud within their close circles because it’s so obvious.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Phil C says:

What’s wrong with it is that it could unfairly damage Therrien’s reputation if it is not true.

It is very possible that Therrien does not like him. I just think that there are many reasons why that may be the case that have nothing to do with the colour of PK’s skin. Has there been anything said or done that would suggest racism? Is there anything that has been said and done that can’t plausibly be explained any other way?

To me, false accusations of racism cheapen the real cases. It is like crying wolf.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I don’t see racism accusation being pointed at Therrien in any way. And Therrien deserves a lot of criticism for picking and chooses who he enforces his stupid team mantras with and who he doesn’t.

Talks about character and the team than when asked about Subban re: team Canada he can’t find one positive word to say? It’s all about himself and showing he controls Subban. He’s a joke.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

Therrien shouldn’t worry about reputation. It’s not that great to begin with.

• habcertain says:

if the shoe fits……

• RockinRey says:

Libel? Or you for real? He didn’t make any statements whatsoever that constitute Libel.

That said its clear MT just doesn’t like him. Is he a racist? Who knows. It was curious that PK did not go out of his way to thank him upon receiving the Norris though.

• Phil C says:

You don’t think Wilde was raising the question if Therrien was racist? He went beyond stating that Therrien doesn’t like him. How would you like it if someone implied you were a racist without cause? I think people who don’t like Therrien will take any opportunity to take him down.

They are allowed to not like each other. It does not mean that they are not good for each other professionally.

32. HabFab says:

Patches just confirmed to play tonight.

33. frontenac1 says:

Pointu!! Loved the guy! He was ugly too.

34. frontenac1 says:

Emery is a dork. Word was he shipped out of Ottawa for “extra-curricular” activities not unlike the Mayor of TO.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I randomly met Emery at my gym during the lockout last year. I walked up to him told him I was a fan, he was really nice about it and spared time even during his workout.

But the guy he came to the gym with, didn’t exactly inspire great things with respect to off-ice activities.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

35. scotland says:

“so why id dd still playing” yes i would like to hear that question put to mt by a reporter. even better i think it is time mb asked mt that question.

36. scotland says:

ken dryden says lapoint next best puck carrying defence to bobby orr. personally, when he went down in the play offs of late 70’s to injury i rememeber thinking “the habs just lost their best defense man. in big games i put him a nose ahead of robinson and savard. he was that good. hall of fame is a no brainer as far as i’m concerned. “pointu” is in.

37. frontenac1 says:

@Chris. Agree 100% on Homeboy McClement. He was a steal for the Leafs. I believe he won the Carboneau for best penalty killing forward last year.

• Chris says:

He was a rock…over 4 minutes per game short-handed is astounding. 2nd in SH ice time this season (behind Chris Phillips), 1st last season, 23rd (but 3rd among forwards) in 2011-12.

It is funny how often these smaller signings end up working out, while the high-profile signings often cause teams problems down the road.

38. FANHABULOUS says:

Here, once again, is where the Habs reporters should be earning their dough, and show some spine by asking MT a question that everyone else on here and on TV seems to be talking about: why is DD still playing?!

MT tried to play the meritocracy card earlier this season when he dropped Briere to the 4th line, and he went public by saying it was his lack of production. And in fairness, he’s been rewarding guys who are producing (Kid line) while taking time away from those who dont. But for some freakin’ reason, he keeps throwing DD out there for no reason… and please, don’t give me the “we have too many guys out” line… I’d rather see what a younger hungrier guy (Holland, LL etc) can do centering that third line.

Besides, it may be the best thing for DD to sit for a game or two and watch the game from above. Sometimes, it sort of shocks the system for the player, and something clicks for them and they start producing… just think of what happened to Eller.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• habcertain says:

that’s what happens when the GM awards a big contract and Therrien knows this is the only job we will/can ever get, got to keep the boss happy!

• Captain aHab says:

DD looks every bit like the guy who decided to kick his legs up after getting the money. He doesn’t use his body as much as he used to…trying to poke check the puck instead of going in with authority and fighting for it.

Willing to bet that in a contract year, he would turn it on. Guessing MB/MT aren’t thrilled with the effort.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Yeah, I bet MB would like a mulligan on that one. His only mistake so far, if you ask me. I like the way he’s building the team, its got some nice balance… but DD needs to be removed from the line-up, for his benefit and the teams.

____________________________________
        “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

39. scotland says:

if dd’s name was bill jones hw would not have made it outta camp this season. he has not played a good game since getting the contract. and was a big help to the ottawa senators in last seasons play offs.

gionta, dd, galagher ………… ya can carry one…..sometimes two…..never three players that size.

• mount royal says:

I am getting really tired of these bigoted comments. His name and first language has nothing to do with how he is being treated. In returning to this tired theme it is obvious to anyone that you are only projecting your own biases.
      MT has been a lot harder on DD than he has on Subban, but that doesn`t suit people like you. He will deal with DD the best way he can; everyone, including DD, knows that time is running out. His play has definitely improved, but he needs to get back to be the prolific playmaker that he (hopefully) can still be.

• habbernack says:

DD is getting more ice time than Galchenyuk.

• JUST ME says:

I agree totally with you mount royal and those kind of comments have got to stop cause it has nothing to do with the situation and afterwards we know that guys like the ones using that kind of comments are the firsts to play the victim.

It is easy to spread hatred hidden behind an unknown identity unfortunately.

Funny how everyone is on D.D.`S back when actually their favourite star player is not doing really better lately but must be protected at all costs against the team`s evil management .

That being said options are running out for every player not doing the job
        every time an injured player is coming back . D.D. knows that nature`s law is that the strongest survives. Heard his dad interviewed yesterday on radio and he says that he is well aware of the situation and the risks involved.

• habcertain says:

MT has NOT been harder on DD then PK, exact opposite.

• J_P says:

Subban is our teams leading scorer, and he plays defense! He plays almost half of every single game. There’s no reason for therrien to be hard on him, if anything he should go easier on him. So saying that MT is being harder on DD then PK doesnt even factor in to the discussion.

Now, as for DD. You’re right, DD is not being given preferential treatment because he’s french, hes most likely getting preferential treatment because he was signed to a 4 year extension that he didnt even deserve at the time it was given to him, let alone now. Obviously Bergevin has to figure out a way for him to get out of his funk or it just looks really bad on him. However, if you dont think that the fact that his name is David Desharnais played into him getting that extension, well you’re just naive.

and “prolific playmaker”? Talk about a stretch… Are you actually David Desharnais or something? Are you related to him somehow? lol

40. The Dude says:

Really ..45% polled so far don’t think Guy Lapointe not worthy of a retired jersey,well that pretty much explains everything wrong on this site…now I’m just embarrassed for you all.

• Old Bald Bird says:

44% probably have never heard of him.

• JUST ME says:

Dude you have to understand that most of the posters here have never seen him play live ,they have heard about him but vaguely at least not as much as the Lafleurs, Beliveaus and Richards. One must not criticize them too harshely cause time has flow by and it has been more than 30 years ago sir ! Yes ! we are getting there..
      For me he was always the unsung hero on that team with so many great teammates.
      I know that this is not a sexy subject to talk about but I will always remember Guy Lapointe for being the player who did the most damages to an opponent in a fight. He beat the crap out of the late Keith Magnusen and i will always remember how Lapointe was beating him as a rag doll…Sorry for the fainth of heart , different era….

41. habcertain says:

nice article on PK by Wilde at CTV, pretty much sums up the obvious, MB needs to correct the situation, or be our next Corey/Houle.

• Eddie says:

Excellent article by Wilde. Comparing how Roy was treated by Tremblay to the Subban treatment by Therrien hits the nail on the head.

My message to all of you who ridiculed the posters a few days ago, when they dared to state that there’s reason to be concerned, THE CONCERN IS JUSTiFIED

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Eddie. Probably guilty of being a ridiculing (as well as regularly ridiculous) poster. But there’s every chance you can convert me. Here’s where I’m stuck:

– it seems to me there are more than enough legitimate reasons for a coach to assign ice time the way MT is currently doing with PK
        – it seems to me that the media — whose first priority is always headlines, with truth not always being fully involved — is driving this story and feeding off itself with it.
        – in the past 2 years we fans have come to believe that we now see everything that management sees because of Big-Brother-CH24. We think we perceive hazardous emotional tension between MT and PK. In fact we see a fraction, and a carefully manufactured fraction, of what’s really going on.
        – MT’s Antichambre declaration of dislike of PK. Grains of salt required, plus, has it never happened before that a coach didn’t lurve all his players? More like, haven’t there been plenty of successful coaches who didn’t lurve ANY of their players?! And vice versa!

All of that is my buffer against this story. I know you as a poster who knows the game much better than I do, so I am genuinely interested in to what extent you can dismantle that buffer. (Or, if you’re trying to paint the shed or rake leaves, I’m happy with ‘agree to disagree’!)

• habcertain says:

I’ll take a crack Mike:

– I see no legitimate hockey reason to believe a player like Diaz (we will just use one guy) has more capable defensive abilities to play ahead of PK on the pen kill. I don’t buy the theory that limiting his ice time will rest him for the PP, and is dispelled by Markov’s minutes on both and 10 years older.
          – this particular media report, relates non-hockey evidence, based upon a personal observations about PK, before and after what could be called as an avalanche of criticism about his personality, not his hockey skills.
          – I actually believe it is what we don’t see that probably is more disturbing.
          – MT criticism of PK clearly moved beyond the bounds of his hockey skills, too flamboyant etc. I think those are just code words.

Whatever the reasons are, it is strange that when your best player, the Norris Trophy winner, is under attack, the coach isn’t going over board to defend his player and back it up on the ice. MT should take a page out of Jullien’s playbook who relentlessly defends his players at all costs.
          Cheers

• mount royal says:

Why would MT want Subban to play on the Olympic team? Why would any coach want his best player to risk injury for the Olympics? Why would Bettman want to support players to participate in the Olympics? The Olympics mean nothing to these guys and frankly, most players (especially Canadian-born players) value Mr Stanley Cup much more than a gold medal.

• JUST ME says:

What is so obvious ? What you heard on 24 CH ? As if those situations don`t happen every day in every city in the league !

What else then ?Radio ? Twitter? Medias ?Unknown posters ? Wait !!! better ! L`antichambre and Tony Marinaro !!! The top !
      Or is it that you have spoken personnaly with P.K. or Michel Therrien over a beer ? Be serious !

The coach is coaching and is blamed for it ! Only in MTL !!!

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

Excuse my ignorance, but is there history between Emery and Holtby? Or is Emery just pure psychopath?

If I’m a goalie playing against Philly, I believe I would keep an Uzi beside my water-bottle on top of the net. One warning shot over Emery’s head as he crossed the blue-line, then waste him if he keeps coming. I would then be philosophical about my 4-game suspension and say all the right penitent things (but also demanding smugly, “Show me in the rules where it says the goalie can’t keep an Uzi!”).

• Phil C says:

It would have been hilarious if Holby had pulled out a taser and zapped his ass. Or maybe pepper spray. What could the league say? If he doesn’t consent to the fight, it is assault and he has a right to defend himself.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I believe the league gave him 5 for fighting….

Phil do you know if there’s history there?

• Phil C says:

I don’t think so. Emery is an avid boxing fan, (he caused some controversy when he used to have Mike Tyson on his mask), so he loves any opportunity to fight. He has had 3 NHL fights and 6 AHL fights. Combine that with the frustration of losing 7-0 and the outcome is predictable.

He did the same to Biron a few years ago, and then fought Peters. Watch him in this fight with Peters, the glee in his eyes to get into a fight.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks Phil. I just don’t get it, which means the league loves it. I despise the NHL.

• habcertain says:

Emery has anger issues, nothing against Holtby. not his 1st fight, or last, don’t understand why another Cap play didn’t come to his rescue. for goalies to fight they both have to willing participants.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s what I would have thought. Players are, thankfully, very quick to protect their goalie (cf the opposite in soccer) during play — why not protect him from a marauding psycho like Emery? Will the league do anything about it? Will St Patrick trade for him, adopt him as his son?

43. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m against retiring numbers. I never want to see three figure numbers on anyone’s back. By all means, honour them but unretire everyone but The Rocket’s #9.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

44. habs11s says:

Not sure if it was already posted but Cunneyworth is a pro scout for the Sabres now..

_____________________________________________________________

45. savethepuck says:

People need to stop posting that Patrick Roy is going to beat us tonight. Every time I read it I keep thinking of the mid 80′s SNL skit with 4 fat guys in a bar, and I can’t stop laughing:

“so we got a miniature statue of Patrick Roy against the whole Montreal Canadiens team. Who wins?”

“It may be a close one, but gotta go with Da Avs!”

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

46. Habilis says:

What to do with little Davey Desharnais, that is the question.

Personally, as long as Patches is good to go, I’d like to see DD sent to Hamilton for a few games. Let him get some confidence back.

Trading him makes no sense, his value has to be in the toilet right now.

Of course, none of that will happen. MT has a gnome-crush on the little guy.

• PADPZ says:

Have you heard him say so ? Stop beleiving everything you hear and read for pete-`s sake…Pathetic non fans…

(reference is below)

• Phil C says:

He would have to clear waivers to go to Hamilton.

He is definitely gripping the stick too tightly and over-thinking the play. I saw him pick up a loose puck by the side of the net at one point last night with no one around him. Instead of stopping and bringing the puck to the net or shooting, he carries the puck out of the danger area and feeds it to the point for a shot. Not a horrible play, but he is not even trying to score at this point.

I would say he should spend one game in the pressbox, watch the game from a distance with a coach, maybe it will help see where he is going wrong. Way too early to give up on him yet. He is playing better, the results are not there yet. If he keeps doing the right things, it will eventually show on the scoresheet.

• Habilis says:

Totally forgot about waivers, ha! With the revolving door between Montreal and Hamilton lately, it slipped my mind that all those guys are waiver-exempt. The pressbox is a good idea. His confidence is just shot right now.

I agree, don’t give up on the guy, if only because giving up means losing him for nothing. Patches being back tonight should help, but if not, they have to do something. He can’t just continue to play 17-20 minutes a night the way he has been.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good (because non-hysterical!) post. Habs fans are tired of being required to be patient, especially those who relate their impatience to the our last Cup when in fact the clock was reset with the arrival of Bergevin. In that context it’s WAY to early to complain (you feeling me, Timo?!). As for DD (Duh HAR nay, as last night’s Fox crew called him), we are stuck with him for now and so have to keep trying things until we get some value out of him. In other words, we have little choice but to be patient. Working him with big wings Patches and Bourque for a few weeks might well help. MT has to keep trying stuff.

• mount royal says:

It is well known that MT has been very hard on DD these past weeks. He is on a very tight leash right now.

47. JM says:

Must admit I was wrong when I said the Habs were a better all around team than the Wild. Standings is not everything … Hate to see what’s going to happen tonight. The fans will put the hammer down tomorrow. Time once again for firings and trades.

• The Jackal says:

No, you were not wrong. The Habs played like a better all around team, just because they lost does not mean that they are in fact worse than the Wild.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JM says:

TJ – I don’t think they’re worse than the Wild but they’re so close to being the same either team could have won … Habs just a tiny bit better than the wild.
        Now tonight. The AVS are the better team curious how it will turn out. Roy 4-Stanley cups as a player. Therrien as a coach 0-Stanley cups …

• The Jackal says:

Well cups as a player does not necessarily translate to success as a coach.

Anyway, the Avs are good but they are riding some unsustainable play. They are not invincible and we have played a better team already in the Sharks. We held our own and I say we can definitely win tonight.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• mount royal says:

When one line is on a total of 6 minutes and lets in 3 goals, you have a problem.

• habcertain says:

let’s start with the coach

48. BJ says:

One positive from last night had to be Markov. I haven’t seen him play that well in all facets of the game in quite a stretch. He even had speed. Glad to see him do so well, he’s been a warrior for us for years and has shown great courage coming back from brutal accidents. Too bad the kids couldn’t bury their chances last night, I loved the stick handling skills of our future #1 center.

• habcertain says:

except of course for the 2 goals he was on for, the last one being unbelievable as Pommenville stands in the crease and Markov is asking Boulion where he was going for dinner.

49. scotland says:

habstrinifan, well said. look nobody believes the habs are even close to contending. they will have to pull out all the stops, have luck on their side, have little further injuries, get great goaltending, pick up some extra shoot out points just to be battling for the final play offs spot! in all likely hood they will be outta gas, beat up and out of the race long before then.
    having said that one has to inventory for whats to like? goaltending duo for one. check. norris trophy defenceman. check. young guys playing well. check. vet markov healthy and playing great. check. most teams would love to have that.
    the kid line, pk and markov…when they are out there we take the play to the other team. when they are not the… other teams dominate the habs.
    plekanic and gionta lead the forwards in ice time. worst 1-2 in the nhl. worst 1-2 i have ever seen on the habs. smallest 1-2 in the nhl. smallest 1-2 i have ever seen on the habs. they both play pp and pk and reg shift. they almost always start and finish every period including when ot is required. mt did this last season and both were useless by the 30-35 game mark and horrible in the play offs. the habs have half a team, which is why i keep the remote handy while watching. seen enough of gorges, diaz, gionta and pleks to last me a life time.

i dont bother telling me about pleks leading team with six goals. a thirty goal pace all the prime ice time most players only dream of dont impress me one bit.

• habcertain says:

Pleks has the same move coming over the blue line, regardless of the man advantage, dump and chase, and he is too small to retrieve the puck. not sure if this is a coaching directive but for god’s sake try and be a little creative, make a pass. Eller seems to be the only center looking for the creative play, that’s why we need Chucky to slot in with LL/Bourque, and Max to take his spot with the kids, we need to get 2 lines going. of course that doesn’t fit into MT’s plans, stubborn coach who doesn’t seem to learn from the past. not a fan of tanking but if it gets rid of Therrien and a high draft pick (which we need) maybe the way to go.

50. PADPZ says:

So Desharnais has 1 pt in 14 GP, and has been playing like crap. I am assuming the reason he still gets so much ice time is because they’re working on a trade right ?

Alan,
    thanks as well to you and Carol for joining us my friend. Keep in touch!

• DKKJB says:

Like too take a moment for thanking my new buddy Ian Cobb for the invitation to last weekend’s H.I.O. Summit .
      My lady and i enjoyed ourselves watching a very well organised , carefully planned , and excellently run series of events . And we were there for only two of them . But in talking to some of you its’ evident of the shared passion we all have for our ” HABS ” , my hope is that we may have to do another one of these get togethers a little earlier next year , lets’ say in June , as we watch our ” HABS ” driving down ST. Catherine’s ST. with ” OUR ” Stanley Cup in tow …….
      Allan Globensky ” HABS ” fan since i was knee high too a grass hopper

• Ian Cobb says:

Alan, Very pleased to have you aboard my friend. With your background playing for the jr Hab’s and your pro career, I am looking forward to reading your comments on this board.
        I won’t be alone anymore, knowing everything that should be with our club.!

• CranbrookEd says:

I have a very clear memory of Allan Globensky at a pickup ball game on the diamond between the Royal Canadian Legion and the wading pool in “the Park”, busy squeezing a couple of rubber balls . . . strengthening his forearms/wrists in between seasons – I was “younger” and do not remember at what stage of your career you were at, but never-the-less, it is a memory that I do have! :)

CranbrookEd
        Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

52. PADPZ says:

I don’t care how much of a douchebag PK can be to MT and MB eyes, they better not screw up.

53. Chris says:

OHL round-up…

I’m hoping to get out and watch Guelph play Connor Crisp and the Sudbury Wolves tomorrow afternoon. Crisp is in a funk right now, having been held pointless in his past 5 games. Guelph is firing on all cylinders: ranked #2 in the country behind Blainville-Boisbriand of the QMJHL, the Storm have won 9 in a row and have a very potent offence (8 players on the Storm are averaging over a point-per-game as the team has averaged 5.4 goals per game thus far).

In Windsor, Brady Vail has 4 points in his past 3 games, ending a 4 game drought. His Spitfires are hanging in there, but aren’t likely to be a major player in the post-season as the Western Conference features the major powers in the OHL this season.

His injury certainly hasn’t helped, but Mike McCarron is struggling brutally in London as the Knights are disappointing everybody in a year where they are hosting the Memorial Cup. McCarron is riding a 7 game pointless streak and is not meshing well with the offence of the Knights. I don’t think anybody envisioned McCarron, a 1st round pick and vastly out-sizing his opponents, struggling to 1 goal in 13 games. He really needs to turn it around.

54. Stevie.Ray says:

Aside from all the douche bag things Kaleta does, can he play?

• Chris says:

Yes. Kaleta obviously has massive baggage with his suspension history, but he is a serviceable third or fourth-line player that can kill penalties, throw hits and block shots.

I would be a bit surprised if a couple of teams didn’t put in a claim for him, as he is still only 27 years old.

• JUST ME says:

I don`t believe (although i am not surprised) that any of you would even consider the option of hiring this guy …sad

55. The Dude says:

I am loving how Roy is coaching and I laugh at Roy’s naysayer ‘ ship o fools’!

56. frontenac1 says:

@hoegarden. Thanks amigo. I don’t know why I believe some of this stuff. Now, about Marc selling Tires on RDS? Did I really see that?

57. scotland says:

gorges took all of 10 seconds into his first shift last night to get clobbered behind the nest and sent flying in to the boards. any body count how many tape to tape passes to the other team that diaz makes. this pair is as bad this year as they were against the sens in the play off slaughter last spring. forwards have a hey day bouncing them around.

another awesome game by markov.

if they actually dress dd tonight they deserve to lose.

58. Hoegaarden says:

Kaleta on waivers. May be Holgrem is interested.

59. habstrinifan says:

I looked forward to this season with real excitement. Despite his implosion against Ottawa in the playoffs (I credited it to his optimism and planning being detracked by huge and numerous injuries), I thought Therrien had turned the corner in his ‘coaching’ philosophy. I sensed and had called him a ‘renaissance Therrien’. I didn’t like the pre-season but I kinda was buoyed by some early games.

Last few games, even games where we won. I see nothing that will ‘develop’ the HABS long term. Our defensive system is to give up the blue line, drop back into our crease and just block shots. Our breakout pass is a ‘back flip’ to the second D, which on the surface works cause that D is open.. but when that D gets into trouble.. well we are hemmed in like crazy. We do not break out in offense as a unit.. we rely on the long pass(dump) to breaking forward who then starts the ‘cycle’ with lots of no look passes. I haven’t seen too many ‘face the goalie forehand shots'(rememeber Bournival’s goal against Columbus.. a beauty) from the shots. I see a lot of ‘fire at the net’ hoping for some sort of tip/rebound. ALL legit hockey tactics but not aimed to develop the skill of your team.

No need to reply. This is just my opinion. And based on the many posts saying how wonderful a game we played last night and should have won..I am willing to accept that many will say I am wrong.

And oh yeah… Clarkson is actually gonna help Toronto. I am not saying we shoul got him or anything, but he is playing better than the posts here (including mine) forecasted.

• mksness says:

our defence isn’t as bad as it looks. it’s actually rather decent. i would say the biggest problem on this team is having the 3rd and 4th line do just about nothing. we’re playing like a 2 line team and the other 2 lines are horrible with and without the puck.

• The Jackal says:

I’m not a big fan of MT but our problems on D and offence are not necessarily his fault nor do they indicate a lack of team development.
      The problems are because of the roster as a whole, we are weak on D after the first pairing, and Emelin and Murray should help out a lot once both are on the ice.
      Our offence is decent but still has some holes, nonetheless, we don’t always dump it in and we have actually been skating the puck in and making plays, as well as having many break out passes from our zone, so I’m not sure why you have this impression.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JUST ME says:

I fail to see what is the problem with our defense other than we have a long term plan and guys playing more than they should because of injuries. 27 goals in 14 games is an average of…
      9 players at the end of their deal this season. On D it means Bouillon-Murray -Markov and the wiskey guy…We have Tinordi-Beaulieu and Pateryn getting ready plus the options to make a few trades in particular if we want something in return to those we are not making any new offers to.

Of course i suppose you were one of those ready to build something for the long run but now that you wake up everything is forgotten right ? Did you think that we were going foR the cup this season ? Oh by the way we are at the exact same point as last season after 14 games but with better statistics. Last season was a bad one ? What if we had met only eastern division clubs so far this season ?

You will soon get your membership card in the mail for our newest inductee in the negative Habs fan club called the Bleu minus Blanc minus Rouge guys. Congrats !

• Chris says:

I said it at the start of the season, and I’ll say it again: I think the Leafs have actually built a very good team. The best signing of the past couple of years is one that nobody talks about: Jay McClement. Toronto had the third worst penalty kill in the NHL in 2010-11 and 2011-12. They signed McClement, and their PK was suddenly the 2nd best in 2012-13, and is the third best in the early going of this season.

Small moves like that (McClement was signed as a UFA for 2 years at $1.5 M per season) are what makes average teams into good teams. With Bozak, Clarkson, Kulemin, Bolland and Raymond, the Leafs have found defensive forwards or two-way forwards that complement their offensive stars (van Riemsdyk, Kadri, Lupul, Kessel) extremely well.

The benefit is that a guy like Clarkson doesn’t have to do too much…he can play his game, despite a big salary, because there are enough goals being scored by the big guns to minimize the pressure on him as a marquee free agent to produce offence.

• Phil C says:

I agree with your assessment on the break out. I don’t mind the backpass to the d-man, but the forwards are often too far forward with too big a gap between the forwards and the defense. This type of set-up works against trapping teams, but not as well against forechecking teams like San Jose. For those types of teams, better puck support would be preferred and attack as a unit, as you say.

As for getting hemmed in, getting some more physicality into the team well help. Nothing disrupts a cycle like knocking a guy on his ass. Getting Emelin and Prust back should help.

As for playing with more skill, I believe in episode 2 of 24CH, the coaching staff were pleading with them to do just that, to try to make the tape-to-tape instead of just flipping out. So you are not the only one who noticed this.

60. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos,by the 3rd period I see all kinds of weird stuff, but I could have sworn I saw Bergevin trying to sell tires to some guy on a Zamboni. Please tell me someone else saw this.

61. Mark C says:

Wonder if Patty Roy will still be such a genius once his teams save percentage drops from an unsustainable .954%.

• mksness says:

they are getting incredible goaltending now. kinda like the leafs too. bound to be a bit of a drop off at some point but his team is scoring too and keeping a lot of shots to the outside making for easier saves.

62. AH says:

So has any Montreal reporter asked MT why DD got more TOI than AG last night?

• Mark C says:

What’s the correlation between a centers ice time and a left wing on a different line?

Gally took more shifts and got PP time. Only difference is DD got stuck on a few long shifts early in the game.

63. montreal ace says:

Josh Harding who is battling MS, while winning hockey games in the NHL, is quite a story in courage. I have known people with MS, and the effects it has on the body and spirit. I can’t help but admire the job he is doing, while encouraging others who are fighting diseases, I find it inspiring.

• mksness says:

no doubt he’s an inspiration to all.

• Habilis says:

Couldn’t agree more. The guy is lights out right now. In fact, could he possibly be playing himself into the Canadian Olympic discussion?

With Canada’s goaltending being what it is, I wonder if he has a shot at that third spot. Probably not, but it would make for a great story.

64. scotland says:

therien dumps on his fourth line after the game. lol. “our depth players let us down” i’m trying to be polite when i say that” how “our” coach giving another 18 minutes at center for deharnais. the guy is playing absolutely horrendous. but he puts the loss to the wild on a concussed scrapper playing his second game ever for the habs, and white a role player who gets about 8 minutes a game playing with whomever mt feels like dressing that night, and hamilton bulldog blunden. lol. hard watching my beloved habs coached by a man that is in his last nhl coaching job ever. we have a pool at work on the month mt gets canned. nobody took next season.

• mksness says:

well, we need to get MOARE BIGGER AND MOAR SLOWER. our big guys looked horrible last night. how many goals was that 4th line on for? and for the people who say parros is here to play hockey and he’s more than just a fighter, well look at last night and a minus 3 says just about everything.

• sevenman says:

…might take alot to get MT canned. He and MB are pretty tight.

_________________________________

• Mark C says:

So it’s the guy who played 17 minutes without getting scored on fault and not the three guys who played five minutes while being on the ice for three goals allowed. Sound logic.

• The Jackal says:

Hey guys, MT threw the fourth line under the bus, he must hate them all – they definitely do not get along!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JUST ME says:

The 4th line played an average of a bit less than 5 minutes per player for the whole game and gave 3 goals . What else do we need to say ?
      It is your right to hate the coach but at least you should be fair and not try to protect players that deserved to be blamed.

65. frontenac1 says:

Someone mentioned earlier that PK”s dad wasn’t wearing a Habs Jersey last night with all the other dad’s? For real? Which team jersey was he wearing?

66. mksness says:

does price get the start tonight?

man oh man what a disgrace in philly…. only good thing is that downie probably broke his face so he won’t be in lineup for a while. emery should be suspended for his stupid goalie fight and the flyers should be fined big time. through a 1 million dollar fine at the team and then we’ll see if their idiot GM says he’s okay with what happened.

67. sevenman says:

Not likely to happen but if the NHL were to ever consider awarding a player an assist on the same goal that he actually scores on then the goal P.K. scored last night would be perfect example. He makes such a great descision/play to keep the puck alive in Minnesota’s end on that pp, gets it to Markov who dishes it back and then one-times it from the point in the back of the net.

Plays like this are so common from P.K. that I think at times they almost go unnoticed. Habs are so lucky to have a player like this. Withou a doubt the most talented player on this franchise since Guy Lafleur IMO.

_________________________________

68. frontenac1 says:

I surprise myself too sweetmad.Frequently, and with alarming regularity.

69. frontenac1 says:

I hope somebody does something to make Roy lose his sh#t behind the Bench.

70. sweetmad says:

I haven’t watched the Flies fight,so I will not post an opinion,but from what I hear,it was just another case of bullying,and people love it,what an example to set to our kids.

I was never in favour of MT as coach,but was prepared to wait and see,I could do nothing about it,but I think it might have been a mistake,should have got Hartley.

I was also,never happy about this summers signings,not any happier now.

PK was pushed off his feet several times last night,as he has been,for the past couple of games,not a usual thing for him,specluation that he is playing hurt,maybe that was why he was not on the ice, for the last minutes,in previous games.

Not giving up on tonights game yet,this will be a coaching duel.
    GO HABS GO

• Timo says:

One thing it won’t be is a coaching duel. In order for it to be a dual you have to have 2 more or less competent coaches behind the bench. Avalanche has one. The other team… they have a blob head.

• etcheverry92 says:

The Canadiens will win to-night. Budaj is in a zone, and will shut-out the Avalanche. In addition, I don’t know what it is, but any time a team on a roll wins a game in overtime (as Colorado did last night), they always lose the next game they play.

One thing I truly hope that comes out of tonight’s game is that it precipitates Therrien’s departure. And perhaps Bergevin’s too.

Bring back the Goat :)

72. habs-hampton says:

just curious on Brian Burkes take on the Philly-Caps game last night. By using his reasoning, fighting is a way of self-policing, so that these punks that run around the league scoring goals against crappy teams will stop? Goalies that have the audacity to stop all the feeble shots thrown his way by a crappy team will have to answer to a thug who will charge after him from 200 feet away and assault him while 18,000 “fans” and 4 officials stand back and watch?

And to top it off, a “goalie” who has a Save % of .733 and 1 assault will be named 3rd star???

C’mon Brian, you started this discussion, whatta ya think???

P.S. and as for Steve Downie… karma…

• mksness says:

ya i think he has a broken eye socket. that was vicious. another example why fighting is stupid. might be “part of the hockey culture”. but it has to go.

slavery was part of some cultures too, yet it was removed.

73. JUST ME says:

As for the poll question Guy Lapointe`s number should have been retired a long time ago cause he was part of the big three and they should have been honored together. He will be the last one to see his number retired for decades.

Another good game tonight. The Avalanche are playing as a well knit team. Player for player the Wild yesterday had much more talent overall but talent is not everything . Budaj in goal is the wise choice for many reasons. Let`s just hope that we have a different 4 th line tonight…

74. Steeltown Hab says:

Just in case anyone missed this great article by Brian Wilde of CTV

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

I am getting pretty tired of the PK-gate. I attribute PKs situation with the Canadiens to the fact that Therrien is an utter and complete idiot.

I attribute PK’s situation with the Team Canada to racism.

• The Jackal says:

It’s not a great article, it’s speculative garbage that takes PK’s more subdued comments to mean something else. It makes a huge assumption and just claims something baseless in the end.

Stop with the PK-gate BS already.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CranbrookEd says:

Thanks . . . that was a good read. Not sure who is the answer, but the club does need someone who is not entrenched in the old school way of conducting business, as is Therrien . . . teachers (and in many respects that is part of the job of an NHL coach) cannot continue to use the same methods that were implemented 30 years ago, so the same is/should be true of an NHL coach/team/organization . . . Therrien is very much “Cherryisk” in his thinking and approach . . . if they lose PK in a couple of years, the organization will be paying the price for many many many years to follow . . .

CranbrookEd

• JM says:

STH – I have a weird feeling maybe it’s just me. Therrien and maybe others in the management department doesn’t like the color BLACK. Sure hope that’s not the case. It wasn’t color that won a Norris Trophy. It was the players talent and PK has lots wish there were a few more on the Habs like him. All the best PK in your NHL career where ever you may be!!

75. Stevie.Ray says:

Patrick Kaleta is put on waivers. This is the moment where we find out which GMs actually care about hockey, and which ones just want to goon it up.