Round 3, Game 5: Playoff run ends in Philly

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak is consoled by teammates Carey Price and Andrei Kostitsyn after Game 5 loss on Monday night. Phil Carpenter, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Game at NHL.com | Boone’s Game Blog and About last
night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Philadelphia Inquirer

• At a Glance: The Canadiens finally managed to score a goal in Philadelphia Monday night, but it didn’t matter as the Flyers erased an early one-goal deficit for a 4-2 victory and win the Eastern Conference final.  Brian Gionta waited only 59 seconds to open the scoring in Game 5, slipping the puck under the pads of Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton. But the lead was shortlived as the Flyers scored a shorthanded goal moments later. Mike Richards took advantage of a turnover and collission between Jaroslav Halak and Roman Hamrlik and slid the puck into a wide open net. Philadelphia added a pair in the second period when Aaron Asham and Jeff Carter scored minutes apart early in the period. Scott Gomez, who had not scored since Game 1 of the opening round of the playoffs, gave the Canadiens a glimmer of hope when he scored 6:53 into the third period. But Leighton stoned the Canadiens several times throughout the rest of the period, preserving the lead and the series win. Carter added his second of the game into an empty net with 23 seconds to play.

• What It Means: The Flyers are off to the Stanley Cup final with a 4-1 series win. They will face the Chicago Blackhawks for Lord Stanley’s mug.

• What’s Next: Another offseason that could see the Canadiens undergo more personnel changed with impending free agency for Tomas Plekanec and a decision to be made about the men between the pipes.

1. sailor2963 says:

We would not be here without Gil

2. tricolore says:

MAB: no strength, no skate,….what a liability. 1 good game for every 5. Bye bye.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

3. JVSmith says:

Because Halak has gotten so cocky he thinks he can do it all. Time to let his big mouth agents take him elsewhere.

4. JVSmith says:

and halak should have made a move. eventually you have to stop blaming defence when the goalie couldn’t stop a beach ball floating by!

5. Storm Man says:

The fat lady is singing OLE OLE OLE OLE…. MAB what a waste of a jersey.

6. sh00n says:

Yeah, I am blaming him. A poke check would’ve ended that in a second. And he came out 40 feet on the first goal.

7. mr.a. says:

gill’s fault again (3rd goal). bench gill if you want a chance to win.

8. mr.a. says:

youre blaming halak. asham was all alone in front of the net.

9. mr.a. says:

asham having a great night.taking advantage of turtle gill’s lack of speed.

10. sh00n says:

Awful, awful goal by Halak. My God. That’s two goals that should’ve never happened.

11. faninCalgary says:

I haven’t watched CBC all playoffs long. It’s always anybody but Montreal for them. What would you expect from the Leafs’ network. Thankfully, we get RDS in Calgary.

12. Ice Storm says:

atdhe.net

Enjoy the show…

GO HABS GO!!!

13. faninCalgary says:

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying all playoffs long. There has to be another reason he consistently plays a guy who just can’t cut it.

14. Habs4ever Fan says:

lol

Bob Cole…….is in keeping with the CBC’s fine tradition of lousy hockey coverage

15. slapshot777 says:

We are still in it, so let’s regroup and go out there and take it to the arrogant bastards.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

16. GoalieT says:

I wish there was a sniper in the stands with a tranquilizer gun. Pop MAB right in the middle of his face and he can go for a flippin’ nap for the rest of the night.
    I also think Hamrlik kind of had that play under control. There wasn’t much of a need to get Halak to come busting out of his kitchen like that. Unless, of course, he himself also knows he’s not that good at and kind of a full or partial break. One thing I know I do when I’m under that plight is make sure, if you can, to take out the puck AND the skater. You usually have a chance of at least one of the two. If you miss the puck, make sure you get the player.
    We also stopped skating. And it’s raining like crap here right now. My satellite feed is 0%. But at least I get a chance to miss those clowns Maclean and Cherry.

GOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAABS, GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986. T.

17. slapshot777 says:

If you weren’t watching the game you would swear that listening to Cole you would swear that the  game is all Philly.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. slapshot777 says:

Don’t understand why Halak didn’t stay in the net. Everytime he comes out it’s a f^$king adventure. He should have stayed back in the net and played the shooter, but I think Gill would have at least deflected that puck somewhat and Richards wouldn’t have had a good chance anyway.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

19. arrow says:

We are in it to wint IT! Great 1st period, although Halak should have stayed in his net, would have had a better chance on that goal. We just have to keep up with the intensity and those cocky Flyers will be defeated!

I BELIEVE!

GO HABS GO!

20. lenny says:

anybody got a good stream to see this game im stuck in alabama on business and cant get a gfood one help!!!

21. Habs4ever Fan says:

MAB must be related to Jacques Martin to be afforded all this ice time.

22. homerbowen says:

Yes, stay in the net Halak. Gill cannot skate OMG. Where is AK and Pouliot?

23. habbyone says:

MAB fffnnn sucks!!!!!

24. Habsforlife 1959 says:

A good choice for Pouliot to see is Gary Roberts who helped Steven Stamkos this past season. Look how that turnout for Stamkos.

25. j2w4habs25 says:

GO HABS GO!!.. Just win win win tonight!! on everything… lets GO HABS!!!….

26. goinforstanley says:

Lets go Habs win three straight remember the Caps.It aint over till its over.Go Habs Go!!!!.Cup final here we come.

27. habstrinifan says:

You are RIGHT ON! Pouliot needs to pick up muscle mass. I hope the management sees this and gives him the proper workout regimen for next season and he follows it. I think this is the ONLY.. yes I say ONLY factor which is limiting him now. I am so fearful of us losing him because of our inability to mold players especially offensive players. I have no faith in the management personnel on this front.

He has skill. He has heart. He has hockey pedigree. And if you look at his earlier time with us he is NOT AFRAID of the rough going. I just think he is BEAT UP… and suffering from a fragile physique.

He is a keeper and we were damn lucky to get him and the fact that he can be the ‘french canadian’ star in the future or least compete with someone like LeBlanc for it, is not to be dismissed lightly.

What do you think of G. Boucher’s coaching re the Calder Cup playoffs. If you look at the previous games you see a drop in production from his go to scorers like Desharnis. And in the last game, a big one they came up BIG. I think it is indicative of what a good coach he is.

I dont know how there is no one in the big team’s coaching ranks right now who could sit down with Gomez and illustrate what he has to do to score.. which HE MUST for us to win. Gomez is not lazy nor disinterested… and he has worked hard. I think he just does not embrace the psychology of being the one to score the big goal or set up the big goal. Look at all the ‘open nets’ he has missed. You know like Michael Jordan would call for the ball and if he himself did not take the shot he would make sure he made the ‘telling play(pass)’ so that the shot is made successfully.

I remeber a great brazilian coach instructing us in soccer using that phrase. The telling play!.

I think Boucher has done that with Desharnis… I wish we had someone in Mtl who could do that NOW.

I know AK hasnt scored but I dont have faith in his urgency of play. I have faith in Gomez’s. He just needs to embrace the RESPONSIBILITY of scoring the BIG GOAL!

28. showey47 says:

lmfao,well said dave. We are only 1 of 3 teams left in the playoffs and the yet our team is still a failure in the eyes of the “realists”.There are some obvious holes that need to be addressed (at least one more top 6 winger with balls who can play with gomez to start) but i feel there is a very,very strong foundation to build on going foward. I,like you, refuse to join the tank or F.L.O.P. (Fans for Losing On Purpose) bandwagon. I would rather make the playoffs every year and see what happens instead of finishing at the bottom of the league and hope your lottery pick isn’t a bust.

29. saskhabfan says:

Do you just whine for the sake of whining?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

30. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 IN SPITE OF JACQUES MARTIN’S COACHING

31. wotever says:

Pleks has been playing with a screwed up hip. AK I dunno, and I hope there’s a reason beyond not having heart. Pouliot needs conditioning, he needs to pick up some muscle mass and adapt to the Canadiens pace, I haven’t given up on him yet. Gomez I’m happy enough with considering he ain’t going anywhere else no matter how much people bleat here. I’d rather see his points go up than his goals.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

32. punkster says:

See? Just like flypaper.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

33. homerbowen says:

Do you talk just for the sake of talking??

34. punkster says:

Surprise, surprise.

All the “I-told-you-so” boys, the “I-called-it-last-fall” folks, the “My-opinion-is-the-only-one-that-matters” people are making their presence known today.

Keep harping on your themes. Don’t back down. You have an equal chance of being proven “right” as anyone else. Just, for heaven’s sake, do not rely on actual facts. Make sure your facts are pushed and if that doesn’t work, resort to insults.

Have a good game folks 😉

FEEL THE PRIDE!

35. AH says:

Absolutely right Homer!!! If we lose this series, Pleks, AK46, Gomez and Pouliot have some serious soul searching to do when they look themselves in the mirror over the off season, and if we do go down tonight, and based on their performances, it wouldn’t bother me to not see ANY of them in a Habs uniform next year!

36. Storm Man says:

Maybe the Flyers need some speed stick to help with the stink.

37. Habs64 says:

Pyatt out Darche in

38. homerbowen says:

Where is Pleks, AK and Pouliot? We were told they were goal scorers!! Pathetic. Gomez making +$7M this too is a joke. Significant changes must be made in the off season if we hope to win more than 50% of our games next year.

39. derfab says:

If these bums beat us, Hope Byf hurts Pronger or Briere or….

40. marshx says:

Time to get back into game 3 form and do to the flyers what was done to the capitals!

41. Bugs says:

A multicentre, randomised, triple-blind, placebo-controlled study examines the reasons why everyone hates the Flyers.

It’s more than just “they stink”.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/