Round 3, Game 5: Playoff run ends in Philly

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak is consoled by teammates Carey Price and Andrei Kostitsyn after Game 5 loss on Monday night. Phil Carpenter, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Game at NHL.com | Boone’s Game Blog and About last
night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Philadelphia Inquirer

• At a Glance: The Canadiens finally managed to score a goal in Philadelphia Monday night, but it didn’t matter as the Flyers erased an early one-goal deficit for a 4-2 victory and win the Eastern Conference final.  Brian Gionta waited only 59 seconds to open the scoring in Game 5, slipping the puck under the pads of Flyers goaltender Michael Leighton. But the lead was shortlived as the Flyers scored a shorthanded goal moments later. Mike Richards took advantage of a turnover and collission between Jaroslav Halak and Roman Hamrlik and slid the puck into a wide open net. Philadelphia added a pair in the second period when Aaron Asham and Jeff Carter scored minutes apart early in the period. Scott Gomez, who had not scored since Game 1 of the opening round of the playoffs, gave the Canadiens a glimmer of hope when he scored 6:53 into the third period. But Leighton stoned the Canadiens several times throughout the rest of the period, preserving the lead and the series win. Carter added his second of the game into an empty net with 23 seconds to play.

• What It Means: The Flyers are off to the Stanley Cup final with a 4-1 series win. They will face the Chicago Blackhawks for Lord Stanley’s mug.

• What’s Next: Another offseason that could see the Canadiens undergo more personnel changed with impending free agency for Tomas Plekanec and a decision to be made about the men between the pipes.

1. habbyone says:

MAB fffnnn sucks!!!!!

2. showey47 says:

lmfao,well said dave. We are only 1 of 3 teams left in the playoffs and the yet our team is still a failure in the eyes of the “realists”.There are some obvious holes that need to be addressed (at least one more top 6 winger with balls who can play with gomez to start) but i feel there is a very,very strong foundation to build on going foward. I,like you, refuse to join the tank or F.L.O.P. (Fans for Losing On Purpose) bandwagon. I would rather make the playoffs every year and see what happens instead of finishing at the bottom of the league and hope your lottery pick isn’t a bust.

3. saskhabfan says:

Do you just whine for the sake of whining?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

4. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 IN SPITE OF JACQUES MARTIN’S COACHING

5. Storm Man says:

The fat lady is singing OLE OLE OLE OLE…. MAB what a waste of a jersey.

6. sh00n says:

Yeah, I am blaming him. A poke check would’ve ended that in a second. And he came out 40 feet on the first goal.

7. mr.a. says:

gill’s fault again (3rd goal). bench gill if you want a chance to win.

8. wotever says:

Pleks has been playing with a screwed up hip. AK I dunno, and I hope there’s a reason beyond not having heart. Pouliot needs conditioning, he needs to pick up some muscle mass and adapt to the Canadiens pace, I haven’t given up on him yet. Gomez I’m happy enough with considering he ain’t going anywhere else no matter how much people bleat here. I’d rather see his points go up than his goals.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

9. punkster says:

See? Just like flypaper.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

10. homerbowen says:

Do you talk just for the sake of talking??

11. punkster says:

Surprise, surprise.

All the “I-told-you-so” boys, the “I-called-it-last-fall” folks, the “My-opinion-is-the-only-one-that-matters” people are making their presence known today.

Keep harping on your themes. Don’t back down. You have an equal chance of being proven “right” as anyone else. Just, for heaven’s sake, do not rely on actual facts. Make sure your facts are pushed and if that doesn’t work, resort to insults.

Have a good game folks ;)

FEEL THE PRIDE!

12. mr.a. says:

youre blaming halak. asham was all alone in front of the net.

13. Habsforlife 1959 says:

A good choice for Pouliot to see is Gary Roberts who helped Steven Stamkos this past season. Look how that turnout for Stamkos.

14. mr.a. says:

asham having a great night.taking advantage of turtle gill’s lack of speed.

15. sh00n says:

Awful, awful goal by Halak. My God. That’s two goals that should’ve never happened.

16. faninCalgary says:

I haven’t watched CBC all playoffs long. It’s always anybody but Montreal for them. What would you expect from the Leafs’ network. Thankfully, we get RDS in Calgary.

17. AH says:

Absolutely right Homer!!! If we lose this series, Pleks, AK46, Gomez and Pouliot have some serious soul searching to do when they look themselves in the mirror over the off season, and if we do go down tonight, and based on their performances, it wouldn’t bother me to not see ANY of them in a Habs uniform next year!

18. Storm Man says:

Maybe the Flyers need some speed stick to help with the stink.

19. j2w4habs25 says:

GO HABS GO!!.. Just win win win tonight!! on everything… lets GO HABS!!!….

20. Ice Storm says:

atdhe.net

Enjoy the show…

GO HABS GO!!!

21. Habs64 says:

Pyatt out Darche in

22. homerbowen says:

Where is Pleks, AK and Pouliot? We were told they were goal scorers!! Pathetic. Gomez making +$7M this too is a joke. Significant changes must be made in the off season if we hope to win more than 50% of our games next year.

23. faninCalgary says:

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying all playoffs long. There has to be another reason he consistently plays a guy who just can’t cut it.

24. derfab says:

If these bums beat us, Hope Byf hurts Pronger or Briere or….

25. Habs4ever Fan says:

lol

Bob Cole…….is in keeping with the CBC’s fine tradition of lousy hockey coverage

26. slapshot777 says:

We are still in it, so let’s regroup and go out there and take it to the arrogant bastards.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

27. GoalieT says:

I wish there was a sniper in the stands with a tranquilizer gun. Pop MAB right in the middle of his face and he can go for a flippin’ nap for the rest of the night.
    I also think Hamrlik kind of had that play under control. There wasn’t much of a need to get Halak to come busting out of his kitchen like that. Unless, of course, he himself also knows he’s not that good at and kind of a full or partial break. One thing I know I do when I’m under that plight is make sure, if you can, to take out the puck AND the skater. You usually have a chance of at least one of the two. If you miss the puck, make sure you get the player.
    We also stopped skating. And it’s raining like crap here right now. My satellite feed is 0%. But at least I get a chance to miss those clowns Maclean and Cherry.

GOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAABS, GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986. T.

28. slapshot777 says:

If you weren’t watching the game you would swear that listening to Cole you would swear that the  game is all Philly.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

29. marshx says:

Time to get back into game 3 form and do to the flyers what was done to the capitals!

30. Bugs says:

A multicentre, randomised, triple-blind, placebo-controlled study examines the reasons why everyone hates the Flyers.

It’s more than just “they stink”.

Agitated but regulated, I aspire as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Undersecretary of North-East Division Propaganda Bureau, Section Chief of Flannel Department, and Field Operative for Habsbros Data Dissemination Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

31. slapshot777 says:

Don’t understand why Halak didn’t stay in the net. Everytime he comes out it’s a f^$king adventure. He should have stayed back in the net and played the shooter, but I think Gill would have at least deflected that puck somewhat and Richards wouldn’t have had a good chance anyway.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

32. arrow says:

We are in it to wint IT! Great 1st period, although Halak should have stayed in his net, would have had a better chance on that goal. We just have to keep up with the intensity and those cocky Flyers will be defeated!

I BELIEVE!

GO HABS GO!

33. lenny says:

anybody got a good stream to see this game im stuck in alabama on business and cant get a gfood one help!!!

34. goinforstanley says:

Lets go Habs win three straight remember the Caps.It aint over till its over.Go Habs Go!!!!.Cup final here we come.

35. Habs4ever Fan says:

MAB must be related to Jacques Martin to be afforded all this ice time.

36. habstrinifan says:

You are RIGHT ON! Pouliot needs to pick up muscle mass. I hope the management sees this and gives him the proper workout regimen for next season and he follows it. I think this is the ONLY.. yes I say ONLY factor which is limiting him now. I am so fearful of us losing him because of our inability to mold players especially offensive players. I have no faith in the management personnel on this front.

He has skill. He has heart. He has hockey pedigree. And if you look at his earlier time with us he is NOT AFRAID of the rough going. I just think he is BEAT UP… and suffering from a fragile physique.

He is a keeper and we were damn lucky to get him and the fact that he can be the ‘french canadian’ star in the future or least compete with someone like LeBlanc for it, is not to be dismissed lightly.

What do you think of G. Boucher’s coaching re the Calder Cup playoffs. If you look at the previous games you see a drop in production from his go to scorers like Desharnis. And in the last game, a big one they came up BIG. I think it is indicative of what a good coach he is.

I dont know how there is no one in the big team’s coaching ranks right now who could sit down with Gomez and illustrate what he has to do to score.. which HE MUST for us to win. Gomez is not lazy nor disinterested… and he has worked hard. I think he just does not embrace the psychology of being the one to score the big goal or set up the big goal. Look at all the ‘open nets’ he has missed. You know like Michael Jordan would call for the ball and if he himself did not take the shot he would make sure he made the ‘telling play(pass)’ so that the shot is made successfully.

I remeber a great brazilian coach instructing us in soccer using that phrase. The telling play!.

I think Boucher has done that with Desharnis… I wish we had someone in Mtl who could do that NOW.

I know AK hasnt scored but I dont have faith in his urgency of play. I have faith in Gomez’s. He just needs to embrace the RESPONSIBILITY of scoring the BIG GOAL!

37. homerbowen says:

Yes, stay in the net Halak. Gill cannot skate OMG. Where is AK and Pouliot?

38. tricolore says:

MAB: no strength, no skate,….what a liability. 1 good game for every 5. Bye bye.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

39. sailor2963 says:

We would not be here without Gil

40. JVSmith says:

Because Halak has gotten so cocky he thinks he can do it all. Time to let his big mouth agents take him elsewhere.

41. JVSmith says:

and halak should have made a move. eventually you have to stop blaming defence when the goalie couldn’t stop a beach ball floating by!

42. habaholic68NJ says:

After 17 years of playoff misery, I am very proud to finally cheer a Habs team that wears the CH with pride.  What a drag that it had to end.  The good news is that we finally have a team with grit and character. We will require a few adjustments to go even further into the playoffs.  Here is what I see as a possible roster of 23:

Gio-Gomer-?

Cammy-Pleks-?

Moore-Laps-Pyatt

Moen, Pouliot, Nielson, MaxPac

Marky, PK, Gill, Gorges, Spaceman, OB, Belle, Weber

Halak (#1) with Price (backup)

We have two great young goalies.  Goaltending got us far into the playoffs.  Keep them both, unless we can get a superstar in a package trade with some salary that we will need to dump. I would move the Tits Bros, Hammer and some Dogs to fill the question marks above with two big bodies that can put the puck in the net.

43. Caballero says:

I think you need White in there?

44. Rainrocket16 says:

I must agree 100% with all of this! Although i do hope Pouliot will redeem himself, he can’t get worse. get rid of the AK/SK duo and lets get someone that can hit and have some heart!

45. slapshot777 says:

I take it he told you that personally?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

46. tanhaa says:

Price is no where close to being number 1 right now.  Not with that record.  He should stay and learn. When he is ready to be number 1, we can have this chat again ;-)

47. Fenrir767 says:

Gotta Keep Pouliot around. He’s to cheap to let go doesn’t even cost us a mil yet and with his play we can get him cheap give him another year then see what happens.

48. Xtrahabsfan says:

Spacek,Hammer,MAB,Plecs,Metro ,Darche,SK,AK and PRICE….all gone ….time for Artukin ,Taylor Pyatt and Jeff Carter….

49. pablojinko says:

Totally agree with you… also Halak has to prove he’s not an one season wonder

As Seen In Montreal

50. light_n_tasty says:

Who cares what he wants, he’s not even arbitration eligible! You don’t get to choose who you play for until you’ve earned it.

51. MTLForever says:

now it’s time to see the blackhawks lift a cup and as for us habs fans wait for the offseason and see if we either do something good or destroy our team. cherry just said price will be out of mtl. i cant see us letting any goalie go.

52. Duracell3 says:

Hamirlik’s contract is completely unmoveable, he isn’t going anywhere.

Also, I don’t understand why people keep saying they want to keep both goalies. Of course you do, everryone does, but it mathmatically simply cannot happen unless we give up Pleks or move a contract like AK46′s or larger and replace them with a rookie making $750k.

53. idle says:

Why does Darche have to go?  He was one of the best players tonight.

54. habbytown says:

habs can buy out Hamrlik. He only has 1 year left.

MAB, Pleks, K bros, Pouliot, need to go.

I would also get rid of Lapierre(did nothing in  the regular season) and Gill.(too slow and too old).

55. habbytown says:

please get rid of this loser and #14.

56. j2w4habs25 says:

I am so Happy we made it this far in this years playoffs. I couldnt have be more happier than I am right now. Knowing we were suppose to be gone in the first round, no wait but the 2nd round lol… Godd… I love hockey, I hope more better days are ahead for Montreal.

Always an Forever!!!!!!!!!!! A Habs FAN!…

GO HABS GO!

57. habbytown says:

I think the future is very bleak. no scorers, no  big players, no depth, and the cupboards in Hamilton are bare!

58. habbytown says:

in this city we don’t cheer for losers.

59. lenny says:

BYE to the following Pouliot, AK, SK, and hopefully MAB

60. arrow says:

On a side note. can’t wait until PK Subban plays full-time for the HABS, he is an exciting player! Also, was disapointed with Pouliot he kinda of choked, ship him to the Sharks, they have a team of chokers! As for #14, I say sign him he is a great defensive/offensive (when he has good wingers) player. AK/SK have promise but not in Montreal. Moore/Pyatt/Lapierre are keepers, as well as BOTH Halak and Price!

Great Playoff Run! Thanks to the team for making it EXCITING!

61. dionysi says:

I like that fact that all the blame is falling on certain players 74 14 46 44 etc etc. Personally, I think JM the one who has to go. In one season weve lost several prospects who have failed under his system, Dagostini Paciorety, Pouliot started playing great his first ten games and slowly started cracking under JM’s system. The only reason we went this far is Halak. During the season Halak stole games, and if he didnt we never would of made 8th. JM is a defencive coach, thats what I heard at the beginig of the season, So when the opposition takes 40 shots on us a game is his system really that good. How many games did Halak win with over 40 shots? Cammy and Gionta were the only real offense we had out their, and some secondary scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines. So did JM system really do anything for us, Did he develop any of our young guys. Lapieer had maybe 5 good games all season. I dont know how any coach would bench Obyrne over MAB in the serie over Philly. We had some good breaks and Halak stole games From Washington and Pittsburg and the other Goalie always seemed to suck in the games we won. Luck is over, Hopefully next year we get those 6’5 guys who could play  that deffencive system JM wants.

62. Habs4ever Fan says:

HERE HERE…..AND TAKE JACQUES MARTIN’S SYSTEM WITH THEM

63. Habs Proud says:

Cherry actually heaping praise on the Habs, he is right on the money though, Habs have nothing to hang their heads about, we as fans should be proud of this team, back to back seven games series against probably the top two teams in the league, these guys have given all there is to give, outcome would have been different I feel if Markov was in the lineup but thats hindsight. I think this team is going to be alright, couple of changes in the off season to fine tune it and 2010-11 should be very promising

64. BKAK72 says:

I’ve been watching like a rapid fan since the mid-70s and have seen many HABS teams lace ‘em up for the big prize.  The 2009/10 version of the HABS deserves a well earned B+ for heart, grit and determination.  You don’t upset both the President’s Trophy and defensing Stanley Cup Champion by fluke.

Yes many will say HALAK is the difference.  Wow, that’s an informative hockey fan.  When exactly has the goalie not been the difference in any championship result?  Many guys came up to play when it matters most and in no particular order:  GOMEZ, GIONTA, CAMMALLERI, MOEN, MOORE, PYATT, LAPIERRE, MARKHOV, GORGES, GILL, PK SUBBAN and of course HALAK.  I know many (some?) my disagree with my list but that’s my perspective and mean to insult to anyone on this site.

This is a great core to work with, I certainly look forward to our MANAGEMENT TEAM completing the roster with the missing pieces.  We are far more closer today towards the big prize than we were one year ago today.

Merci beaucoup Les Canadiens!

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

65. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Thanks for a wonderful playoff run. It was just not meant to be and the Habs lose again to the Flyers. Its going to be very interesting in what changes will be made in the off season. The Habs are up against the cap and are going to find it hard in sighing all RFA’s and UFA’s. 4 months until training camp begins. Go Habs Go!!!

66. tanhaa says:

Final thoughts on this season:

Montreal had a great run.

AK, SK, MAB —> Bye Bye!

Plek: They might not sign him again, they need a bigger center. Keep Gomez (Cuz no one wants him I bet, not with that salary) and let Plek Go. Even though I like him, he was invisible.

Price/Halak: Must keep both. Let Price learn, he will be a good goalie for Montreal. Keep Halak as our man for now, he can give us a good season.

Hamrlik: Please trade him.

Gorges/Gionta: Make either one the captain please, don’t play another season without a captain!

PKS: Calder Candidate next year! GO PK!

Metro: They won’t sign him.  Moore is a lot better. Give room to our young guys to come up!

JM: Please don’t come back.  We made it far in the series, but if you can’t learn how to use your guys, you are no good for us.  Your system kills our young players.  OB Benched and MAB in?  Ridiculous.  Please make it a Muller/Boucher Coaching staff.

I’m sure we will see our habs next season, a much better team they will be and we will give the eastern conference a run for sure.

GO HAWKS GO –Please sweep these philly goons.

67. nfldanchor says:

Great year  overall! We had a lot of injuries but its been an exciting year . Bergeron,Pouliot,SK & AK , Price will be gone next year . I think that we will see several changes at least going into next year , but at least we have the basis for a good team in place. I hope we keep Moen and pick up a couple of bigger players to complement Cammy, Pleks, Gionta & Gomez. Losing Markov was a killer for us in the playoffs and we really went as far as we could without our best player. It was an exciting year for us all and enjoy the summer. OLE OLE OLE! PK is going to be our future star.

68. dionysi says:

Do you partially agree with these statements.

1 D’Agostini and Paccioretty were much better players before JM.

2 I’m not sure all the blame goes to SK, Pouliot, even Lattendresse played better last year though im happy to see him go.

3 Laps played what 5 good games all year, MAB played way to much, Obyrne is in the dog house for any mistake while MAB does no wrong.

4 Their were a few games this season we had all these call ups White Darche etc, They came in on fire and fissled out with with JM.

Solution Guy Boucher in JM out

69. kmachabs27 says:

You can bet on MAB out of here as we have PK and Markov at the helm for our poweplay next year….watchh outt….Great season be proud…..16th seed going in, 3rd coming out, beat the President cup champs in the Craps and the defending cup champs in Pitts. Go Habs Go……

ohh p.s. Habs 3rd, leafs 29th, walk proud fellow habitants walk proud.

70. dallyd31 says:

Watching hockey in late May has been a blast and this team has restored the excitement and pride to the city.  It was awesome to be a part of a playoff run.  It’s been a while and I forgot how much fun it could be and how much it captivates the city. Thanks Habs for a great run and a lot of fun…it was awesome !

Consider this:

-We weren’t suppose to make the payoffs, yet despite probably the most man games lost to injury of any team in the league, we make it

-We are supposed to get swept buy the leagues best team, the Caps…but we win.

-Surely we will now get beat by the defending Cup champs, the Penguins. Despite losing two of our top 4 D, including our best D, and PP quarterback, we win.

-Only two teams in the league are better than us this year

Something to be proud of for sure, and a huge success I would say.  Any of those complainers ( BG sucks, Gomez sucks, JM sucks, etc, etc, should really get a grip and put things in perspective).

I say with Markov back and PK playing well, we are 3 players away from a championship…2 big power forwards and 1 more good mobile defenseman.  AND with us making a run, and the excitement and fever that overtook the city ( that is viable to all) I think free agents will want to come here by the dozen.

As Gomez said ” After playing here, I almost feel sorry for guys that don’t get a chance to play in Montreal during their career”

71. naweed235 says:

ok guys its been an AMAZING ride that we had with this team this year and I thank them from all my heart for that… im sure u all will feel the same in a couple of days when the sting of this loss slowly wears off…

also it would be interesting to see what the fans suggest happens next year in:

1. Goaltending (keep Halak or Keep price)?

2. Coach: do u believe that JM has secured a spot for next season by this play off run?

3. Centres: Do we sign Pleky? was he holding back in the playoffs b/c he is an UFA? If we dont, who do we get instead of him?

4. The K-bros? was this the end of them and what can we get for them?

5. Lappy, Benoit Pouliot, Metro, Moore, MAB… Who do we keep, who do we let go?

72. tanhaa says:

As Gomez said ” After playing here, I almost feel sorry for guys that
    don’t get a chance to play in Montreal during their career”

==========

Actually Cammy said that.

73. tanhaa says:

1. Goaltending (keep Halak or Keep price)?

BOTH of course.  The city needs a controversy :)

Coach: do u believe that JM has secured a spot for next season by this
    play off run?

Please NO!  Ship him and his system.

3. Centres: Do we sign Pleky? was he holding back in
    the playoffs b/c he is an UFA? If we dont, who do we get instead of
    him?

Plek and Gomez are very similar players.  I like Plek more than Gomez, but they won’t be able to get rid of Gomez, not with his salary.  If Plek asks for 4Mil or above, I suspect he won’t be staying here.  I hope I’m wrong and PG can find a taker for Gomez instead. We need a nice big center and a nice big winger.

4. The K-bros? was this the end of them and what can we get
    for them?

Indeed, they are both gone. Anything is better than players with no heart at this point.

5. Lappy, Benoit Pouliot, Metro, Moore, MAB… Who do we
    keep, who do we let go?

Moore is staying, Lappy also, Can’t say the same about the rest.  Pouliot, perhaps, MAB, no way and Metro, redundant with Moore there.

74. wotever says:

Plekanec has had a hip injury since the Olympic break. For all those willing to throw him under a bus, let’s see you play playoff hockey against the top two teams in the east. Until they played him, I mean.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

75. tricolore says:

Hats off to those in the Habs who gave it their all. This has been the best playoff run since 1993. Quite amazing.

RDS just showed impressive stats from Gomez, Pouliot, Pleks, and AK. The lack of goal contribution from 4 of the top 6 forwards is mind boggling. Gionta and Camm scored 22 of the Habs 46 goals in the playoffs??? Wow!

Cam someone give Gionta the C and let’s get this over with?  Thank you.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

76. dionysi says:

Just wait to next year. His system will kill the rest of our young players including PK

77. The Beer Guy says:

Anyone know what time the habs arrive at the airport?

78. tanhaa says:

I certainly don’t hope so friend.  I hope he is gone next year and I really mean it.  I would hate to see any more younger players screwed by his system.  I was so disappointed to see OB Benched.  Guy would make such a huge difference in a series like this with his weight and hits, but no, we gotta play MAB.  Was he blind? Could he not see that MAB can’t keep the puck in PP even if his life depends on it?  Our PP sucked in this series mainly cuz of MAB.

79. Velavok says:

After years of frustration and disappointment we finally stepped up and pushed through to the 3rd round. Sure, i wanted more, dosent everyone? but being a fan thats spent many years being heartbroken by lackluster, soft efforts, this is a much better way to go.

We got some valuable experience for our young guys and have some building blocks for the future. There are decisions to be made, pieces to be moved, signings to be done, it will be an interesting offseason.

Was a hell of a run for a team that most picked to win 1 game in the first round.

Thanks guys, well done.

80. naweed235 says:

i agree… except i think Gomez is welcome back next year… he showed heart, skill and leadership in this playoffs and i take that anytime…

as far as B-poul goes i doubt that they would get rid of him after having traded Lats for him… or atleast not b4 the next trade deadline…

81. dallyd31 says:

Oops…I had the wrong guy.  Point is that it was said, and I think it holds weight and goes a long way ( as doe sthe playoff run and the excitement) in attracting top FA’s.

82. Caballero says:

where are you getting this info. Pleks is a great player, great discipline a total pro. But, the problem is he would be much more effective as a number two on a team that has a big number one centre. Thank you doctor insight right? I am not telling you anything you don’t know. I like pleks, I say keep him, but the two K brothers are not interested in playing here. Let AK go to whatever team and score his 40 points there, it is not happening for him here.

83. Caballero says:

hopefully they will be greeted by some cheering fans! Wish I could be there tonight.

84. smiler2729 says:

Now THAT was F***ING FUN! What a season! Thank you Montreal Canadiens!!!

85. dallyd31 says:

In comparison to last years Habs, it sure shows how much of a difference heart, grit and determination make.  I think Gainey saw just how soft and indifference last years bunch was.

I think we have a great core for years to come, and the future is very bright and promising. The excitement is back !

86. habbyone says:

Great run. Thanks habs for some exciting times. Hopefully some changes will be made and the drift wood will be set afloat

87. smiler2729 says:

I’m not in the mood to dump on the Habs but if I were Plekanec and AK46 would be in my sights. See ya, you two, you ain’t Hab worthy.

88. Kooch7800 says:

Remember your statment when he gets 5 mill a season and forgets to show up in big games in the playoffs.  He is a regular season player and not a playoff player. He should play for the San Jose Sharks. Remember when we faced Philly two years ago…same thing. Can’t blame and an injury on that as well. When the game gets super physical and you need him he dissapears.  I was hoping for a lot more out of him this year in the playoffs after that regular season. No dice.

Great year for some of our players and awful for others.  Where is AK 46?  Pouliot?  Gomez?  Offense is going to be our biggest weakness. Hopefully we can address it in the off season. I would say dump AK 46 for sure with his brother and try and get something back.  Trade Hammer, because of his contract.  Worst part is Hammer was on of our most physical players this round and he is one of the oldest players if not the oldest on the roster.

EIther way we cannot be dissapointed by the habs run this year.  I for one thought they would lose to Washington and Pitsburgh.

89. Rainrocket16 says:

Thanks Boys!! Mercier!!! A special shout out to Mr Boone, Mr Stubbs, Mr Mio and the rest of the gang on HIO, this was my first year with you on this site and wish for many more, thank you all for all the updates and I know I can turn to you all for off-season updates!! God Bless gentlemen!

Habs, you have awoken my household with much joy and excitement, my son is a believer at 3 years old! My wife a Filipina girl who grew up without a TV is an avid Gomez fan (living in Alaska for 3 years helped). Halak is brilliant and even though he made a huge mistake trying to stop the breakaway, I hold no ill will! Great  closing season Dominic Moore! Cammy, please stay with us for many years! Gomez please keep those wheels for years to come! Gill stay big and stay healthy, Gionta, keep that heart beating! I could go on with everyone but I will spare you, PROUD as hell!! God Bless!! HABS FOREVER!!

*Destiny is not a matter of chance, but choice, not something to wish, but to attain.*

90. JVSmith says:

And how many goals of Gionta’s did Gomez set up? As someone else pointed out – can we say PLAYMAKER? But Gionta would make a great captain, I agree with that.

91. since1988 says:

unfortunate how the last series went but the team looked tired…nice to have a meaningful reason to watch hockey in late may and proud of the team

even more happy that mab is gone.

92. arrow says:

A parade should be made in Montreal, this team deserves it! They played with heart and class right to the bitter end!
    MAB is a 1-trick pony, but he is ours! Keep him he is cheap and has a wicked point shot! Gorges/Gill/Halak were my 3 stars for the play-off run! SK/AK trade them for a BIG centre who wants to play in a great hockey town, there are great players out there who have more heart than these two.
    Gainey blew up the team last summer, let’s hope for another explosive summer but please keep #14 and both Halak/Price

GO HABS GO!

93. sailor2963 says:

On the bright side, Subban gets to rejoin the Bulldogs for their Calder Cup run, Maxwell too.

94. SeriousFan09 says:

This year the Calder Cup, next year the Calder Trophy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

95. slapshot777 says:

Okay guys let’s now turn our focus on what we think the Habs will do with some of their players. My thoughts on what I think we should do.

Defense   Keep PK Subban, Josh Gorges, Ryan O’Byrne, Andrei Markov, Hall Gill, Jaroslav Spacek.

Hamrlik and MAB has to go.

Offense    Keep  Mike Cammalleri, Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Thomas Plekanec, Travis Moen, Tom Pyatt, Dominic Moore, Maxim Lapierre

Ak46, SK74, Benoit Pouliot, Metro, Mathieu Darche will have to go.

Goaltending     We should keep both Price and Halak for now, they will work out this problem themselves. Let’s see if Halak is a one year wonder or a consistent goalie. Let’s see if Price matured a bit more this season and let’s see if he will work harder over this shortened summer.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

96. tanhaa says:

RE Gomez:
    I like the fact that he plays big too.  2 Goals and 12 assists are fine for playoffs I guess… but with his salary, I think you would expect just a bit more from him….not missing the chances he misses.  Same goes for Plek, but he doesn’t play as big as Gomez.  I think habs need to chose one of these centers and try to let go of the other one. Just my humble opinion.

97. adam76 says:

No - parades are for cup winners.  We are not Toronto.

98. tanhaa says:

1.  Agreed, don’t know what happened to MAX this season, I was thinking that he showed a lot more last year than this one

2.  I agree about SK.  It’s a circle, you bench him, constantly, drop him, constantly, what do you expect?  Same guy goes in Olympics and is leading the scoreres there at one time! I mean AT OLYMPICS??  JM System killed SK in my opinion, and now we have no choice but to ship him. Remember Roy and Mario?

Pouliot —- I have no clue what happened to this guy, but if you want to bring your scrorer back, you don’t play him 4-5 minutes per game on fourth line! You let him play with guys he played well and hope he gets back, you give him the ice time.  JM killed Pouliot in this series for sure.

I’m happy to see Lats go too.

3.  MAB played way too much, yes.  Agreed, partiality, JM has a boner for MAB.

4.  Agreed about Darche.  Again, a grinder like Darche, who came here and was giving his best every game got killed by JM.  Though Darche stays a true team player.

Agreed with the solution too.  You don’t leave much room for arguments do you? :)

99. AndyF says:

Geez, I
    wish there was a way that the Habs could prevent Subban from playing more games.   He’s had a very big year, and I certainly wouldn’t want him to burn-out like Price did.    Why don’t we just give him the rest of the summer off?

And one more thing.  I’m not sure I’ve ever been as proud to be a Habs fan.   They showed as much grit and determination as any Cup-winning team I’ve seen.   Really!  We’ve much to be happy about…

Cheers to all, and thanks to HIO for an amazing season!

AndyF

100. adam76 says:

and PRICE.

101. tanhaa says:

We should keep Price.  He is a team player.  I was impressed by the way he encouraged Halak after the latter gave a really soft goal in game 2. (The 3rd goal).  That impressed me, the little chat between them and Price encouraging him, making sure Halak stayed confident.  I have faith in him even though I prefer Halak.  We should keep this goalie.

102. TPlow says:

Thanks for a magical run, fellas. We just ran into a team with a little more pixie dust than us. Already looking forward to what should be an intriguing off-season ….

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!’” — King’s X

103. dre1744 says:

you got to keep  Gionta  and Cammy for sure  those guys  scored almost all our goals in the playoffs. But we need a big power forward type  guy for sure  to play  on one of the lines.

104. TPlow says:

I could see the final going six or even seven. The Flyers have a much deeper team than a lot of people give them credit for. I still think (hope) the Hawks will win, but it could be a great, long, tough series.

105. dallyd31 says:

Serious, give it a rest. We just went to the conference finals and only two….yes TWO teams in the league are better than us this year.

Something to be proud of for sure, and this team with huge heart brought excitement and pride back to Montreal.  Give the constant negativity a rest.

106. lenny says:

that was inexcusable

107. Fenrir767 says:

I would bet money on the hawks sweeping. They are a much better team than the flyers and they swept the Sharks who are a lot better than the flyers. Leighton was good not great in this series. The offense of the blackhawks is going to expose him!

108. Chartrand1223 says:

Pleks sucked, can’t handle rough and tumble hockey…let him sign somewhere else

109. slapshot777 says:

Habs have to come out like gang busters,leave nothing in the tanks. Clean it out guys. If the Habs do lose, gonna be interesting to see what PG does to improve this team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

110. sailor2963 says:

Thanks to the Habs for a great season.  Can’t wait ’til next season!

111. tricolore says:

Pierre Houde said it best at the end of the game: (en français) That sums up the result, Plekanec is incapable of doing anything right to benefit his team.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

112. Shan says:

Oh well. Thanks for making the playoffs exciting, Habbies!

—–

Their defenses are broken! Let the slaughter begin!

113. Jocko says:

Thank you to the Habs on this great playoff run.  To the Molsons, not sure Gauthier is the answer.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

114. volcano62 says:

I still believe…all we need is 2 goals for OT.

<p>Go Habs Go!

115. arrow says:

Next goal is #14 Pleks, then just for the French Canadiens Lapierre will get the next! The winning goal will be by MAB on a powerplay!!

I STILL BELIEVE!

GO HABS GO!!

116. slapshot777 says:

Anybody see O’Byrne on the ice tonight ? I saw him on the bench, but haven’t seen him on the ice.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

117. TPlow says:

Seems to me that Mr. Mike Richards was running his mouth about karma after the Habs used their top powerplay unit late in game 3. Well, to that I say, “Ole, ole, ole, Philly. Ole, ole, ole.” If not us then Chicago. Karma works both ways ….

118. volcano62 says:

Seems like JM is acting up again. :(

119. Habs4ever Fan says:

Great Run Habs!

We have a great team and we should all be proud.

Next year…Markov in…..MAB..out

Pleks….I will take you on my team anytime

Kostysns…..go start a new team and take your friends with you

120. habbytown says:

if they resign Pleks I’ll be furious!

121. Jocko says:

With the score 3-1, and the Habs not showing a lot, I am sure we are all going to weigh in on the current edition of the Habs.  I am not going to do that.  I was ecstatic to see them get this far.  I hate the Flyers, so losing to these goons sucks (especially with one of the most overrated goons, Pronger, on the team)!  All in all, and I hate to say this, but I figured either the Flyers or Habs were cannon fodder for the Hawks.  That team is just complete.

What I would like to vent about is the CBC!  Let’s see, Don Cherry goes back to his comment about the Habs and their PP goal in the 5-1 win.  “Let sleeping dogs lie”, he says.  What a goof!  I am not the only one on this site asking about the same thing about the Flyers in their 6-0 lead.  All hail Cherry!  What, the guy puts a spin on things just to prove he is right!  I would like to start a movement to get rid of Ron, Don, Bob, and whoever is in charge of hiring personnel for Hockey Night in Canada.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

122. dre1744 says:

I’d give him 2.5  to 3 mill tops.

123. homerbowen says:

Clearly the results show having your 3 top forwards all under 5’10″ is not the way to go. In addition the supporting casts were non-existent. Moen was the most disappointing to me, well maybe equal with AK and Pleks. Hopefully, Pleks will be a sign and trade. In addition to moving two of our smurfs we must move AK, SK, Hammer, Spacek, Metro amd JM must be moved from behind the bench.

Sitting pat with the existing team will be a recipe for disaster next year. Significant changes must be made as we lost more games than we won this year.

124. dre1744 says:

All in all a decent season  for the habs.  Went way farther then i ever thought they would go in these  playoffs.  As was said all year long  we need to get bigger.

125. Storm Man says:

Thanks for a fun playoff run :).

126. volcano62 says:

What a playoff run. Thank you to everyone in the Canadiens organization! HABS in 2011!!!

127. lenny says:

proud of what they did, they made spring in Montreal electric….but i am so dissapointed they way the went down…some heros emerged, but there were more that disappered without a trace and that needs to be addressed thos off season

128. HNS says:

Actually the headline should have read Playoff run ended in Montreal.

129. Fansincebirth says:

No regrets, I love this team.

Time for some changes, come trade day because this team can and will get better.

Great playoff run, you surprised the Hell out of me and the world!

130. volcano62 says:

He’ll be replaced by a power forward offseason signing.

<p>Go Habs Go!

131. arrow says:

We played with class right until the end! I am cheering for the HAWKS now, kill these FLYERS! #14 did not score but he did help defensivley. G-Men(Gorges/Gill) were outstanding, also G-Men (Gomez/Gionta) had a great Playoff series! Heart-Attack-Halak kept us going and we did make it exciting!

I am proud of our TEAM!

132. Habs Proud says:

Thanks Habs for getting into late May at least, too bad never got to meet Chicago, would have been a fast and exciting  original six series.

133. Habs4ever Fan says:

For the record

I truly believe that Jacques Martin has wanted the GM position in Montreal.

Thats why he embarrassed the CH by giving MAB as much ice time as he did all year round.

Halak, we thank you

Canadiens defence core we thank you

Gionta and Cammy, Great stuff!

Carey Price…thanks for being a sport and keeping that bench warm. Without you on the bench, Washinton would have beat us in 5

134. habsfanman says:

Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller 10-11!!

135. habsfanman says:

Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller 10-11!!

136. HabFanSince72 says:

Tomas Plekanec

I assume they’ll announce he was playing injured during the Philly series. He was good against the Caps and outstanding against  the Pens as a  2-way centre.

I like him and hope we sign him.

137. Habs4ever Fan says:

AGREED!

His best is yet to come!

138. brandonhab19 says:

if this is the last game of the season it also better be the last time we see kostitsyn, pleckanec, and hamerlik oh and bergeron in a canadiens uniform.

139. tricolore says:

From your post, to Gauthier’s desk. Amen.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

140. HabsFanInTampa says:

…..and Pouliot

141. Storm Man says:

47 74 46 14 44 I have a BINGO

142. Caballero says:

lol I am starting to go Jean Perron on this issue myself

143. idle says:

If they are good, sure.

144. Say Ash says:

Who wants to sign more Europeans?

145. smiler2729 says:

Oh yeah More Europeans!!! Cool!!!! (<- sarcasm)

146. habsfanman says:

that whole series felt like we were shorthanded. it was so deflating to watch. flyers played perfect.

that being said, i’m extremely proud to be a canadiens fan and they had a great run

147. tanhaa says:

Moore: meh?

Seriously.  Moore was awesome!!!

148. habbytown says:

you want POuliot and Pleks to stay?????????????????????????????????????

did you forget your meds again?

149. tanhaa says:

All roster changes aside

Please Get a New Coach First.  This should be a priority.

150. Ace says:

Agreed, Kirk Muller is my choice…get him some learn French in a hurry DVD’s stat!!!

151. Habs4ever Fan says:

Re Price leaving…AMEN and take MAB and JM with you

152. idle says:

It’s been a long time since we Habs fans have got to watch our team play 19 playoff games.

It always hurts to lose but lets consider the fact that we were the third last team playing this season.  No one expected it.  It was a fun ride while it lasted.  The Canadiens put out Ovy.  The Canadiens put out Sid.  It was very satisfying.

This team was better then many though during the season.  They were so new and many injuries slowed the process of forming a new team.  It is an excuse yes but you have to wonder what might have happened if Markov was not injured so early in the season and then again in the playoffs.  You have to wonder what might have happened if there was just one more goal scorer on this team.  If there was just one player with size and skill to back it up.

Halak was fantastic and much fun to watch.  This does not mean that Price can’t be a star.  I truly hope that Halak gets a true opportunity next season, hopefully in Montreal but alternatively anywhere.

I have very little bad to say about this team.  Most people would say that MAB was the worst player but I would argue that he should not have been needed to play such heavy minutes.  If you look at his career stats he is one of the highest scoring most consistent scoring D in the league.  It’s to bad he has such deficiencies.  Say what you want about him but he was a startling and entertaining player to watch (maybe for all the wrong reasons) and I can’t think of a more outrageous player to watch that the Habs have had in a long time.  Very much fun.

I think this team needs to think long and hard about Pleks.  If they can fit him in as a supporting player their are many worse ones to have.  But if he is to be a vital part of this team then they have a hard decision to make.  He played… decent in the playoffs but the scoring can’t just disappear every year in the playoffs.  And if they sign him then how do they have room to sign a center with size and scoring ability.  It kind of makes me think of Bosch and the Raptors.  He is a great player but can you build your team around him… no.

I don’t really know if there are enough young talent on this team or in the minors to make a big enough impact next season.  I though Darche played a fantastic game, and Pyatt is a keeper and of course P.K needs some refining but will be a cool player to have.  The fact that Hamilton recently won a Calder cup and have again gone deep into this years playoffs suggest that their should be some decent talent on the way.  But this franchise has a habit of… hmm… missing on some of its young prospects.

The Kostitsyns are a rubics cube.  Can they be figured out?  Probably neither of them will be on this team next season and that is too bad.  I think Andrei has had ample chance but I am not sure the same could be said about Sergei.  Not every young person is going to be grounded and mature.  Some need time to make immature mistakes.

If nothing else this team has improved on it’s ‘character’.  Players like Gill and GomeZ took a lot of heat at times this year, but both of them played excellent inspired hockey this playoffs.  I hope fans can look past Gomez’s salary and appreciate the player that he is.  Gionta & Cammalleri are great leaders and offensive players for this team.  But I think the true leader of this team is Gorges and I really like the player that he has turned into.  I like the ‘core’ of this team moving forward.  Just add some size and scoring (hopefully in one package) and another solid D man and this team will be O.K

I hope Markov can stay healty next season and become on of the top D man in the league that we all know he is capable of.

I like the character of players like Moen, Moore and Pyatt.  I hope they are back as supporting cast.

I don’t have a comment on the coaching staff or even the management really.  It will be kind of sad if this is the last chace for Gainey to have brought a cup to Montreal.  I like the moves that he made and think it was a big step in the right direction.

Sorry to have written an essay, but I think the last game of the season deserves one.

Thanks Habs for this season and looking forward to an even better one next year!

p.s:  thanks to HIO for a great service and a great site to keep up to date and to talk with other Habs fans.

and lastly.. for the haters out there (and there are more then a few on this site)  please try to see some good in this team and take some deep breaths in the off season.  Next year we will need your positive attitues in exchange for your negative ones.

Cheers (and for the last time) It’s a MAB MAB world.

153. idle says:

Forgot to mention Spatch.  He was outstanding this year, especially in the playoffs.  I’m not sure how much he has left in the tank but he would be a great 2/3 D next season I think.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

154. lenny says:

baruch ata hashem elokanu meleach ha holem ha HABS WIN…AMEN

any other religions fell free to add your prayer as well

155. Caballero says:

Laperriere and Carter will not last long in there. I wonder if this team had that mean streak and some size whether these less than 100% players would have been targeted. “Sweep the leg” like that evil sensei in the original Karate Kid.

156. DraftBeer says:

But they’ll last longer than you.

157. mfDx says:

A Few Questions

Q: Can Brian Burke, having failed to acquire the Sedins, be convinced that the Kostitsyn package is worth a couple of first rounders?

Q: Why did the Habs try to outhit the Flyers again?  In each of their losses, they’ve  come out hitting, the Flyers absorb for 10 minutes, then start to hit back. That’s when the Canadiens start to duck, cower, get distracted from the puck as they avoid checks.  Self preservation > puck control= puck in your net.

Q: How can George Laraque be denied the chance to play hockey in Europe, then be allowed to wrestle an MMA champ?

Q: first place a few years ago, final four this year. What’s up next year? Guaranteed exitement.
    See you draft day.

158. salshabs says:

Outstanding effort. Congrat Boys. You did us proud.

On the other hand, the haters are doing cartwheels. F those a-holes.

A Chicago win over Philly, puts the Laffs in last place for longest run without a Cup. No wonder they hate so much. Go Hawks.

Oh well, here in hamilton, the Dogs are still playing. Not quite the same but, I’ll take it. As I write this, Texas just won to tie the series 3-3.  PK, Pyiat, and Maxwell will be back on wednesday. Bring home the Calder.

Warriors, worth their weight in gold, guys you keep for a solid core, Cammy, Gionta, Georges, Gill, PK, Halak, and, with the way he played tonight, Gomez. Keepers, Pleks-if the price is right, Pyiat, Laps, Moen, Spatch, Markov-if he can stay healthy. Worth a chance, OB, Poulliot, Price-again, if the price is right. Expendable, Hammer-trade bait to free up cap room,  MAB-PP specialist not enough, huge defensive liability, Metro-best before date expired, Kost Bros.-they don’t get play-off hockey. Going to be an interesting summer.  Keep the faith.

159. Ace says:

Thanks for a great run boys!  Watching game 7 at a poker table in the Flamingo Las Vegas wearing a Habs jersey was a lifetime hockey highlight for me and my buddy.  We were treated like celebrities the whole night after eliminating the Caps.  I’ve been a Habs fans for several decades and this run ranks right up there!  Too bad it fell short but no regrets from this Habs fan, thanks you les boys!!!

160. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well, all the ‘experts’ thought that Habs smurf team would be no where close to the playoffs. All the Leafs fans thought the same. But, the smurfs eventually went to the Conference Finals, eliminating Washington and Pittsburgh.

Pretty good for SMURFS eh? Great season Habs. GO HABS GO!

161. Ace says:

Right on!  Leaf fans are easy to shut up, 47 years of failure and 2 weeks away from being the losingest team in NHL history…so sad that their only pleasure is from us losing…what empty lives they lead…LOL

162. salshabs says:

I forgot Moore, he’s a keeper too.

163. Ace says:

Bad luck running into the one dinosaur bruiser team but something that must be addressed…

164. Ace says:

Tell that to Molson with the 8 home games they got and the revenue.  Financially, growth and morale this run was a huge success to hopefully build on!

165. habitual says:

2009/2010 Habs:  Way to go, men.  A valiant effort, a joyful run.

HIO staff, you guys have been great too.

Final 4 is, well, amazing.

166. WindsorHab-10 says:

Thank you Habs for the beautiful memories. All of Canada(excluding Leafs nation) is very proud.

167. BKAK72 says:

What contract (if any) is worth keeping PLEKS for the next 4-5 years?

IMO he’s a keeper at $4.5/yr as he’s great at face-offs and plays well defensively, just not sure how he commands more since he’s at best a 20-25 goal scorer and weak in the grit of the playoffs (again).

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

168. Duracell3 says:

Laraque wasn’t denied playing for AIK to my knowledge, they couldn’t come to terms on the deal in place, and as was said, he is under contract to play hockey, anything else he wants to do is anything else.

Also, I’d give Burke the first Line of team Belarus for a 2nd round choice if they haven’t already traded it away.

169. WindsorHab-10 says:

Did anyone catch Don Cherry’s comment at the end regarding Carey Price?

He said Price needs to leave Montreal. On behalf of H/IO members, I say: GO TO HELL DON, CBC & TSN.

170. zonelad says:

This may be a little pre-mature… but Pleks didnt have a great playoff.

Im sure the Sharks are at wits end with a lot of their core and they will probably end up signing some other guys.

My proposition is to trade Pleks for Marleau. Works out great for both teams, both are UFAs, Marleau is clearly a better player but SJ doesnt want him anymore, Pleks is the next best C out there so it may work out well.

What do you guys think?

171. HABZ24 says:

THANK YOU HABS FOR THE GREAT RUN. the lil train that tried just ran out of gas. GREAT YEAR, NEXT YEAR ALL THE WAY !! GOLF HABZ GOLF !!

172. HABZ24 says:

TRUE PRICE BURNED BRIDGES WITH HIS TEAM MATES, HE LL BE A GREAT GOALIE IF HE CAN EVER GET A WARRIOR ATTITUDE, BUT NOT IN MONTREAL.TRADE PRICE JULY FIRST.

173. idle says:

I don’t think that the Sharks are looking for players who don’t play big in the playoffs.  Probably quite the opposite.

174. idle says:

A little sensitive are we?

175. Duracell3 says:

Same, there were a lot of good things, but far too many bad to win. AK46, Puliot, SK74, MAB’s defensive play, etc.

176. zonelad says:

The sharks need to inject some new blood into their underacheiving team. Marleau was stripped of the Captiancy last year, and now being a UFA i doubt they will re-sign him. Obviously they would get nothing for trading him so why not swap him for Pleks, who is the only other top line C available this year!

177. Duracell3 says:

Do you know what UFA means? You can’t trade a contract you don’t own, why trade contracts that will only last until July 1st if neither play has any motive to negotiate with the team prior to free agency.

178. Sportfan says:

I’m sad thats its over but I’m so Proud of
    the Canadiens and what they were able to do these playoffs :)

THank you so Much Bob Gainey, Martin and the whole Habs Thank you so much for a great playoffs!

Habitants for life ! one more time this season GO HABS GO !

179. BKAK72 says:

The only reason PLEKS may be able to command a $5M/yr salary (or more) is b/c he’s hyped up each Saturday playing for the Canadiens.  Just ask KOMISAREK who earned a silly contract for not being able to play on the PP or add any offense 5/5.

PLEKS at $4M per year is fine for a 2nd line center.  Maybe $4.5M any more and we’re committing far too much for a 2nd line center who fears rough hockey i.e. playoffs.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

180. salshabs says:

CBC just aweful. Couldn’t escape thier vitriol tonight, I don’t get RDS here. Healy, such a pompous, Hab hating puke. He’ll sleep well tonight. Cole, retire, please!! Cherry, like a bad smell, he won’t go away, too many Laff fans keeping him alive. I e-mail the CBC after every game, and tell them I can’t wait until TSN takes over all of hockey in Canada. Sure, TSN is Torontocentric also, but, they have some of the most objective, entertaining, informative, up-to-date personalities, not like the dinosaurs CBC keeps around,  Hurdy, Milburry, PJ the class clown moron. If only TSN would dump MacGuire, they would be almost perfect. At least we don’t have to listen to CBC butcher any more Hab games this year.

181. zonelad says:

being a weak UFA pool this year, Pleks will easily make and some teams may be willing to over pay him up to 6 (ATL). I think Marleau would be a perfect fit here, hes big, strong, great 1st line center and gomez can play with a little less pressure as the 2nd line C.

Sign Marleau for 6m/season, trade Price + 2XKost + 2nd or 3rd rounder to EDM for 1st overall + late draft pick and you got yourself a team!

182. beebZ says:

Thank you for a most memorable season Montreal Canadiens & also a very big Thank you  to the HIO staff.  _________________________________________________________

183. Say Ash says:

His highlight was hitting a post nearly a month ago?

184. dallyd31 says:

I said this earlier, but I think it is worth repeating:

Consider this:

-We are supposed to get swept buy the leagues best team, the Caps…but we win.

-Only two teams in the league are better than us this year

Something to be proud of for sure, and a huge success I would say.

We are 3 players away from a championship…2 big power forwards and 1 more good mobile defenseman.  AND with us making a run, and the excitement and fever that overtook the city ( that is viable to all) I think free agents will want to come here by the dozen.

As Cammy said ” After playing here, I almost feel sorry for guys that don’t get a chance to play in Montreal during their career”

185. Rah514 says:

anyone know when the team arrives and where tonight?

186. pmaraw says:

What a roller coaster!  way to go habs!  never have I been more proud to be a habs fan.  I didn’t get to see the game tonight, we went to the fireworks for my son, but I know they left it all on the ice.

On to the trade rumours and draft I suppose, altho to be honest, I don’t know if right now I could say I wanted to see anyone go.

187. light_n_tasty says:

Why would Price get big money?  I think he meant Price should leave because it’s what’s best for Price (although not necessarily the Habs)

188. MontrealAtheist says:

I’ve been waiting for the arrival of the team ever since game #4 got underway.

189. Jacksonator says:

It’s been a great playoff run, I truely thought we were in for another series comeback against the Flyers, damn NBC afternoon game kiled us!!

I think we have a great core and this deep run will goo along way in bringing this team to bigger and greater things in the season to come.  Imagine if Markov doesn’t get hurt in round 2, we are probably the ones winning in 5 against the Flyers.

We got alot to look forward to next year:

Cammalleri – showed he is a true clutch sniper in the playoffs, would have scored 40 in the regular season if he never got injured

Gionta – lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.  Another clutch scorer, gives a decent 1 – 2 punch with Cammer. He would have had 30 -40 in regular season too if not for injury.

Markov – played like the premier D-man he is when he wasn’t injured.  Came back from serious inury way quicker than projected to help get the team into the playoffs. Can only dream how this run would have ended if he didn’t go down in rd 2, I think we would have been in the finals.

Halak – Is the #1 man heading into 2010-11.  If he was given the reins earlier in the reg season we would of been a higher seed for sure.  Looking forward to a full season with him as the #1 man.  Price will be a decent backup for him.

The team also got a lot of good things from its supporting cast, especially Moen, Moore (please resign him), Pyatt, Lapierre (when he wants to play).

The D was Heroic during this run.  Put out Caps without Spacek, put out the Pens without Markov.  Gorges evolved into a top shutdown guy with Gill, should be astrong duo again next year.  Put those two with Markov and PK, that is a good top 4, plus you have Spacek, Hamrilk and OB.  Can deal one of those three to open up some cap room.

All in all a good year and looking forward to next year.  At least we got something to look forward too, imagine if you were a leafs fan where all you have to look forward to is wondering whether the Bruins will get Hall or Seguin!!!

190. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m sure if it was up to some of the poster’s here we would offer him a Gomez type contract. After all he did get some assists didn’t he?

191. dre1744 says:

47% faceoff wins in playoffs is not great at all..   and 49%   during regular season  sucks as well.  Another thing I nots is  Tpleks  plays  like a girl  and won’t go to the tough areas  to try to get goals  hes a perimeter guy.

192. Mattyleg says:

Well done Habs. What a great season and post-season. You made us proud, and you were fantastic.

You stopped, filled, and broke my heart, but thanks for all of that.

We have a good next season to look forward to!!!

ps, Gary Bettman (imbecile) if you’re reading: Your league blows. Playoff games in the afternoon and hockey in June???

Please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

193. light_n_tasty says:

Habs faceoff % rankings during the regular season:

1) White

2) D’Agostini

3) Darche

4) Desharnais

5) Gionta

6) Chipchura

7) Moore

8) Cammalleri

9) Gomez

10) Maxwell

11) Metropolit

12) Plekanec

194. Clutch10 says:

Just watched Canadiens post game reaction on tsn and man is Josh Gorges all heart.

195. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

We outshot, outhit, blocked more shots and won more faceoffs than the Flyers tonight. The second period was not our best, but no way can you say they didn’t show up.

196. W35T5ID3 says:

Post Game comments from our boys and it shows nothing but character and  heart  and determination but we came up short.Im still proud of this team.That idiot Steve Kouleas over at the score thinks that the future for the habs aint bright and that theyll miss the playoffs next season.What a douche!WTF does he know!?!F  all.

197. W35T5ID3 says:

Well that idiot Steve Kouleas thinks we suck and we’re gonna miss the post season next year and our future dont look bright.WHat a clown,he dont know squat!

198. jimbo82 says:

How can someone predict next year from now!? it makes no sense

People couldnt even predict the habs vs washington and penguins before the playoffs and he is predicting a year from now?? ridiculous…

go habs go!

199. MontrealAtheist says:

That idiot Steve Kouleas over at the score thinks that the future for the habs aint bright and that theyll miss the playoffs next season.”

Never mind next season, even this year we barely made the playoffs … In the western conference we would not even be near a playoff spot with our points total and even in our conference, if it weren’t for just the right results from our competitors we might as well have found ourselves on place 9 instead of 8.

It would definitely be helpful if we could try to aim for somewhere higher than 8th place for next year.

200. pablojinko says:

O RLY? I need to find that place where they sell those magic balls, apparently everyone have one…

As Seen In Montreal

201. Ace says:

The only goaltending controversy in Montreal is, can we sign both of them?  Losing Price would be a mistake that would haunt us for 2 decades IMHO…but losing Halak could be just as bad.  Sign them both for 2 or 3 years and see which one develops to full potential.  Halak was the man, but there were holes in him, not dissing him, we wouldn’t have gone anywhere without his hot streak, but was it a hot streak or the real Halak and will he play lights out without Price’s support and competition?

202. smiler2729 says:

And just to fuel the fire for the summer,.. there ain’t none of those awesome saves that Halak made that Price couldn’t have made (if he were 25)

203. tricolore says:

Ok so it looks like early in the 2nd we are going to be watching the last Habs telecast for the 09-10 season. You can tell that some players just don’t have the ‘juice’ any more. Fatigue is apparent on a few players and though it sounds like an excuse, it is a contributor. I’m happy they took us to the 3rd round. A real ‘Cinderella’ story that no one saw coming. The pundits all had the Habs gone after 5 or 6 games vs the Capitals. Love the way this team proved them wrong.

I think we owe a lot to the following players to have taken us this far in the playoffs: Gionta, Cammalleri, and Halak. They were ‘on’ for most nights and rarely were liabilities for us.

Gorges and Gill were good on most nights, but on a night like tonight, you can see that no gas in the tank is leaving a lot open out there. Still, well done. I truly think they gave their best.

Subban is refreshing. Made some errors, but you have to start somewhere. This playoff run will provide a solid foundation for his development and see him dominate this league on the blue line in about 3 to 4 years.

Pyatt is another pleasant surprise. Looking forward to seeing him in the bleu blanc rouge next year. Moore is also a notable mention. A fighter.

Pleks. Back to playing like a ‘girl’ I see. Well done in the season. Thanks but no thanks from here. Your ghost-like efforts in the playoffs is NOT what this club needs. I would not give him a contract. We have Trotter and Deharnais coming up. Comparable if not superior results in the future seasons for bargain price.

Lapierre. Every 4 games you play like a star. You can be a nightmare to the opposing teams most talented players. Where were you on most nights?

Moen and Gomez. Some good, some not so good. Not sure you gave 100% every night.

AK. Stop wasting our time. Go away. MAB. We all know why you were available. Now make yourself unavailable for the Habs. No thanks.

Pouiiot: Never saw a such a quick decline in a player. It’s like you need a GPS to find the net on most nights.

Hamrlik and Spacek. Your best is behind you. 1 good game for every 6 you play, NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Let’s see how Gauthier handles the summer. Should be interesting.

Vive le tricolore. Go Habs Go!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

204. SmartDog says:

Maybe we could bundle Pouliot and Kostitsyn for ONE guy who has heart.

I’m sick of both of these losers.  Kostitsyn showed up for 1 or 2 games, Pouliot runs from the puck.   Hard to believe we got this far with these two guys in the line-up.  Not to mention Gomez’s 1 goal in 18 games.  Oh yeah, a real play-off performer.  My ass.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

205. sh00n says:

I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw you prefering Trotter and Miniharnais over Pleks. Get real. If anything, this playoff run has lowered his value and will let us try to bargain him into signing seeing as he actually wants to be here long term.

206. 25 cups says:

so…. any good trade rumours?

207. Dryden_29 says:
    Thanks for the great run Montreal..we embarassed the critics,CBC ,Laff fans,Bruin fans and so on..what sucks now is waiting in the 28th spot to tee off tomorrow!!! Wait till next year…keep the faith everyone,stay positive!!!!
  208. sCOTT1243 says:

Going to keep it positive…watching hockey May 24 and cheering for the Habs is alot fun!

See you next year, it’s been one heck of a playoff run.

209. Rice Miller says:

The Flyers haven’t exactly been walking on water since 74/75 either. A 35 year drought . We’ve won the Cup 6 times since then. This is the team you think we should aspire to be? They’ve been to the dance since then, but let’s face it, if you don’t win, it means jack. Just ask Ottawa. Van Riemsdyk was drafted 2nd overall, just three years ago in 2007. When’s the last time we had a 2nd overall pick? So much for you “great scouting” theory.

Anyway, it was you who brought up Pittsburgh and Washington as an example of our top 6 woes, not me. Don’t try to baffle me with your bull$#it. I know this might be hard for someone with tunnel vision to understand but these are the teams that were close to eliminating us just a couple of weeks ago. It’s funny how defeatists/Fairweatherfans like you seem to forget this fact.

And oh yeah, it’s all Gomez’s fault, just keep telling yourself that. Myself, I would rather have a supposedly over-paid player, who actually cares and plays with heart, then a supposedly fair-market value floater like Kovalev. Again, just ask Ottawa.

210. joeybarrie says:

OK, let me simply tell you two things. First off go look at the stats on the team with the best record n the regular season and the team that won the Cup that year. This will give you a clearer indication of what I am talking about. Maybe its a concept that you simply need life experience to understand, and by your replies i’m guessing you do not have alot of it.

You do understand the point of the teams you play make a difference in your standings right. I mean you were the one who was talking about if the Habs were in the West they wouldn’t have even made the playoffs.

The point, dumbass, of the conversation was simply this. WE ARE 3RD IN TEAMS WHO ARE THE CLOSEST TO THE CUP. WE BEAT TEAMS AND BY THAT SIMPLE TEST OF 60 MINUTES OF HOCKEY, WE WON, SO WE ARE BETTER. IF YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THAT CONCEPT, THEN I DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU’VE BEEN TAUGHT ABOUT THE RULES OF HOCKEY. IT ISNT GOLF. THE TEAM WITH THE HIGHER GOALS WINS…AND EACH GAME IS DIFFERENT…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

211. joeybarrie says:

It goes both ways. If you not the President Cup winning team what difference does it make if you end up 2nd or 7th? Other than home ice advantage, is there any difference?

Especially when we beat the Presidents Cup team. 15 losses all season. The playoffs is when it matters. It show who your players are. While I would like to exchange a few players. It does not matter.

Ask the SAME question this way. If you had a choice of which top six players to be included in for this season RIGHT NOW which would Ovechkin and Crosby choose?

Oh and your BEST TEAMS DON’T ALWAYS MAKE THE FINALS COMMENT. Disagree. It’s kinda simple. When you play a team 7 games and you win more of them, that is actually the proof of being a better TEAM. BECAUSE YOU WON. I’m not really sure how it is in your competitive league, but in The NHL. The team that WINS, is the better team. Flukes can happen, but not 4 times. Thats why it isnt a one game series.

Would you say that San Jose is the second best team in the league? No one expected them to make it past the 1st round. If their players are known chokers then they arent the best are they?

I look at it this way. You pay your players a function of the salary cap. Its all the same in the end. What matters is does that team WIN or LOSE.

HOW DO YOU MEASURE THE BEST TEAMS?  I measure it by winning. And we have WON against The Caps, and The Pens. We outlasted the Sharks. And there are only 3 teams standing. I would have to say that at the beginning of the season if you ask ANY player, he would say he wants to challenge for the Cup. And we are the 3rd closest team.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

212. derfab says:

no fluke. Penguins were flat, weak on the wings and in goal, similar to caps. Spoiled millionaires (and I don’t mean Crosby0 can be like that.

213. TripleX says:

I would say the BEST team is the one that has the most points after a long a grueling 82 game regular season.  At least that is how most leagues determine it. If you can show me a league that totally disregards the regular season, I would love to hear about it.

The team that wins the post season in not always the best or most talented team.  That is my point I am trying to make.

I guess the Habs as one of the BEST teams in the league now will dominate the coming regular season?  I did not think so.

Through a combination of luck, hard work and unbelievable performances from Halak and Cammi a wonderful playoffs happened.  But please don’t tell me this means the Habs are suddenly an elite team.  I hope PG does not share your opinion, because we need major improvements.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

214. HabFanSince72 says:

Your point is non-sensical. The Stanley Cup playoffs is a much truer test of what makes a good hockey team than the regular season.

215. Rice Miller says:

Speaking of nonsense, that is a ridiculous statement. Crosby and Ovechkin were 1st overall draft picks, while Malkin was 2nd and Backstrom was 4th. Pittsburgh and Washington sucked for years and built their line-up through the draft. Our only home grown top 6 players are Pleky-71st and A. Kostisyn-10th. Hardly comparable.

Are you one of these leaf-like fans who believes we should tank on purpose so we can end up drafting a Stamkos, Traveres or a Hall? If anything, the run this year proves that a team built with heart, rather that ‘super stars’ can sometimes do the impossible. Enjoy the run for christ sakes and stop trying to prove you’re a hockey genius by running down people who forgotten more about hockey than you pretend to know.

216. wotever says:

Considering the *winners* of the Presidents Trophy wouldn’t even look at the trophy I think you’re an idiot. Oh, and we beat them on four occasions..
    If you want to cheer for another league, that cares about winning the entry tournament, go for it. This is the NHL: we play for the Cup.

I wouldn’t say the habs are the best team either. They have to win seven more games to say that. They definitely need to improve. But they could be better and we could be end up like the caps or the pens or the sharks.

This team has achieved at worst 3rd.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

217. joeybarrie says:

Well, I guess in your competitive league they teach something different. But I cannot for the life of me remember a single time when a team won the Presidents Cup. I can however remember many many times a team winning a Stanley Cup. I know Raymond Bourque wasn’t particularly interested in going to a team that would win the regular season trophy. I think he said I WANT TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP.

Besides, the fact that the teams DO NOT PLAY EACH OTHER THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF TIMES just simply proves that by the end of the season the top team is not necessarily the best. Washington did not have to play San Jose, Chicago, or Detroit 6 times. Thats why in fact Washington has always done so well lately, not only are they a good team, but their division SUCKS. They were the only ones to make the playoffs. Would you say this is a fair indicator of the best team???

HMMM, do you think Ovechkin, Green, and Semin are saying to themselves right now. I am so happy we won the Presidents Cup. This makes our season complete. Who cares about the Stanley Cup, thats not a true measure of a team.

By the way for about 100+ years now, success in hockey has been defined by one simple thing. Winning the Stanley Cup. So revised for your understanding. EVERYONE think the team that wins the most games in the post season is the BEST. Thats why we give them the Cup. This is the WHOLE REASON for the Cup.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

218. TripleX says:

Ummmm…look at the team currently beating the Habs.  They have had maybe one lottery pick in Van Riemsdyk.  The studs were all late picks.  It takes a great scouting staff or tanking to make a cup contender that will be in year after year.  The Habs have done neither.

219. TripleX says:

Are you an IDIOT or just like to act like one.  You are missing the entire point of the discussion, which is “are the Habs one of the THREE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE?”  DUH?

If you seriously think the Habs are one of the elite teams in the league because of this Cinderella run…..please put down some of your dollars in Vegas for next season dude.

Yes the team that wins the Stanley Cup is the best team in the league because they have won the ultimate prize.  I am saying the regular season gives a clearer indication of where the power lies in each league.  If you cannot understand that incredibly simple concept I wonder how you possibly function in everyday life.

220. TripleX says:

Someone who worships the poster boy for moronic behaviors calling someone else an idiot.  I would point out the irony of it all but that concept is far above your pay grade.

221. Chuck says:

I think that it would be rediculous of the Habs to not try everything in their power to sign both of them.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

222. light_n_tasty says:

I think it’s pretty much certain that we can sign both of them (Price will be as cheap an option as any, really).  The question is will or should we sign both.  I, like you, would like to see Price around for a couple more years.

Really, though, it depends on how much other teams want Price.  If we can get a big, top-six forward in some kind of package for Price, I don’t see how Gauthier would be able to turn it down.  We have goaltending.  We have defence.  We are missing grit, toughness, and goals up front.

223. slapshot777 says:

I love my Habs. PG will make some changes for sure. What I would like to see now is RDS show the Bulldogs final.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

224. slapshot777 says:

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

225. dufour says:

The ride was alot of fun… but the crash is some hard to swallow.
    Great playoffs, its been a while since anything like this has occured. I was 4 years old last time they made this far. Can’t wait to see them take the next step.

“How would you like a job where when you made a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” Jacques Plante

226. Storm Man says:

LMAO Asham is looking like Mike Bossy this game gets better by the minute. OLE….

227. sholi2000.com says:

Soccer road trip tonight, will miss the entire game.

If the Flyers shot low we will win,   if they shot high we lose.  Simple as that.

Go Canadiens Go

They Call Me Shane

228. ths says:

If the Flyers shoot high and hit MAB in the head in the first few minutes then we might win

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

229. habbytown says:

PLeks did nothing in the playoffs, as per usual.

he’s GONE!

230. HabFanSince72 says:

We need to keep our cool.

They are able to smother our offence with only 4 D-men and a so-so keeper. And they don’t take penalties doing it.

Their defensive wall forced us to take chances in the last game, and they have a lot of
    players who can take advantage of turnovers.

231. Devotee says:

isn’t that the case for every goaltender?

232. HabFanSince72 says:

Tom Pyatt is questional?

Shouldn’t he wait until the off-season to start getting philosophical?

233. habs001 says:

things can change but if there ever was a game where the first goal is big this is that game….we may need to win this game 1-0.. hope i am wrong but gomez,plecks.ak46 and pouliot give me no confidence at all that they will provide any scoring…if the flyers beat us in the series these four will be a huge reason why that happened …plecks and gomez may have good over all faceoff wins but i wish they had stats on face off wins in our zone when we are pk and in the other teams zone when we are on the pp as it seems to me these two lose a tremendous amount of these face offs.

234. pmaraw says:

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

GO HABS GO!!! I BELIEVE!!!

235. Top Corner says:

GO HABS GO

Giverrrrrr

Right now we are the 3rd best team in the league, but can we get to be 1st or 2nd best. I believe we take them at home to night.

237. slapshot777 says:

As of today guys where would we be picking in this years draft?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

238. TripleX says:

Sorry Ian, that statement just does not hold water.  Would you trade our top six for the Pens or Caps top six?  We may very well be one of three remaining teams but translating that into your statement is nonsensical.

The BEST teams don’t always make the finals, and that is why we play the games.  Flukes do happen in sports.

239. _Habsoloutly_ says:

How many games has it been since Pleks,  Gomez or AK scored a goal?  Cammy and Gio can’t carry this teams offence on their own,  if we don’t get secondary scoring from the guy’s on our top two lines we are finished.

240. habs001 says:

pouliot including reg season one goal in 31 games

241. showey47 says:

Not too concerned about gomez,he has 11 assists (12 points) which isn’t bad considering he has only had 1 winger to work with this entire playoffs. He is a playmaker,always was,always will be. You know what makes me laugh about the whole “we need to get bigger” thing is that the “tiny tots”, as some of the moron’s on this site like to call them,are the only ones on this team that are producing points.

242. Exit716 says:

Pouliot 17 games. Plekanec around 15, ditto for Gomez and I think 16 for Andrei….

243. _Habsoloutly_ says:

And thats why we’re down 3-1 in the series.  Laviolet probably just tells his guy’s, “hey, focus on Cammy and Gio, don’t worry about those other guy’s”

244. derfab says:

play them together for a period; let moore, metro or Laps play with Gionta and cammi yo shake things up. martin has stuck to his guns but he doesn’t seem to know how to squeeze or  motivate offensive his players.

245. Say Ash says:

focus, man, focus

246. TripleX says:

247. jordo says:

If we lose, 27th.  San Jose has locked up the 28th pick.

248. L.G.F. says:

Spotted a nice sign…”Stay tuned, handshake after the game”

OLE ole…

249. saskhabfan says:

I saw that sign,right next to the one that says “Welcome to l.g.f’s oral mobile sperm bank,2$ a deposit. I’ll swallow the taxes”

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

250. Habs4ever Fan says:

Go habs go

I am surprised that Martin didnt have his girl MAB out there when it was a 5 on 3 Flyers power play

Habs in 7 in spite of JM’s coaching

251. arrow says:

20 minutes left! Do we have HEART! We need 2 quick goals and then we will net the winner! I STILL BELIEVE! These Flers think they have the game, but I think we still have a chance!

GO HABS GO!!

252. tricolore says:

Like the optimism. But with Pouliot, MAB, and Hamrlik playing like this, does not look good.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

253. tricolore says:

I agree but I’m not so sure Pleks was not on the trade block earlier this season. It’s probably because they were getting practically nothing in return. This is the second season he proves to be an asset during the regular campaign. Where on earth is he during the playoffs? 2nd playoff in recent history that he is a no show.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

254. SmartDog says:

You’re calling Pleks a no-show?   Without mentioning Gomez’s 1 goal, bad passes, and general decline from the first series out?   I agree Pleks has not been strong.  But in my opinion that might make him easier to sign.  He’s young, and getting better with time.  We have Gionta and Cami for heart and drive up front.. Pleks will learn from them.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

255. TripleX says:

Calling Gomez a playmaker to justify his lack of goal production and his salary, is the biggest sham ever.  Gomez has NEVER been a points producer.  Please do yourself a favour and look at his career stats.

I do agree he is one of the best blue-line to blue-line rushers I have seen.  Unfortunately once he enters the zone he is useless.

256. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s really an idee fixe with you isn’t it?

257. Danno says:

It’s a multi-million dollar monomania.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

258. Caballero says:

I disagree, once he carries the puck into the zone he often finds an open man. Ok yes, he is overpaid, but dude, we needed a talented centre and he was available. Let’s not get all negative here. Did any of you honestly think we would win a cup this year? Or even make it to the conference finals without Markov? This is a staggering achievement. I agree that anything less than a cup is a failure, but most teams have been playing golf for over a month now.

259. showey47 says:

Do yourself a favour and look up how many players have more assists then gomez since his career started from 1999 till now.  Also tough to be more useful in the offensive end when you only have 1 reliable winger to work with. As long as he is getting assists,someone else is scoring goals.

260. HabFanSince72 says:

TripleX is either a Leaf fan trolling this site, or one of those so-called Habs fans who boos whenever things aren’t going well. Either way, not worth worrying about.

261. puck face says:
    • actually he makes a really good first pass once he enters the zone ,  granted he should be putting up more points. the silver lining to be found regarding his salary is that after free agency this year and even more so next year his salary will seem pretty basic. every year there are a couple of one dimensional players that recieve envelope pushing salaries that leave’s everyone scratching their heads. do you really think 7 mil is going to look like a-lot in two seasons ( which is about when we will be true contenders ?)
  262. TripleX says:

I believe the cap is going up by maybe a million dollars.  7 million is every bit as ridiculous next season as this one.  If anything with the cap problems the top teams are having it might see a decrease in the huge contracts.  Just look at the goalie situation in the playoffs.  It appears spending big dollars on goaltending might be dumb.

Good first pass?  Gomez is sooooo predictable dude.  Fly into the zone with all kinds of speed then curl in the corner.  Maybe try going to the front of the net once?  Every team knows he will never shoot so they just block out Gionta.

263. TripleX says:

Who cares what happened in the last ELEVEN years dude.  What I care about is what he is doing now.  The Habs are not paying him 7.3 million for assists he acquired 11 years ago in New Jersey.

His best assists year he had 56……wow he did it ONCE.  Yes he has 11 assists…..how many are five on five.  Has he been a star in any playoff games?  Has he ever dominated ONE game like a player at his pay scale should?  Ummmmm….the Habs have been shut out in THREE games who exactly is scoring goals?

264. TripleX says:

Is it hard standing on that pedestal you have constructed for yourself?  Is it hard being the self made arbitrator of who is and who isn’t a fan?

I congratulated you once for having a sense of self deprecation, it was obviously a huge aberration.

265. HabFanSince72 says:

We’ve made it to the final four, beating the Caps and Pens (without our best player), and ALL YOU DO IS CRITICIZE.

266. TripleX says:

I was responding to a comment on the relative value of Gomez.  I have consistently been on his case since July 1, 2009 and remain so until his contract is gone.

267. puck face says:

C.R.E.A.M , no way salaries are going down. washington has already got the ball rolling.

268. showey47 says:

What are you talking about? Every player who is not on an entry level contract is paid (or overpaid) for what they did in the past. He also wasn’t in the league 11 years ago.The devils didn’t give him the contract,the rangers did. The fact the only thornton,alfredsson and lidstrom are the only 3 players ahead of him in assists over the past 10 years says he is a good playmaker. He has 11 assists this playoffs despite having a no show or a 4th line plugger on his left wing. Who cares if they came 5 on 5,5 on 4 or shorthanded. Its not the guys like gomez,gio,cammy and pleks that are killing this team. Its the guys like pouliot and to a lesser extent ak who haven’t shown up. Gomez is the easy guy to blame because of the contract but he is out there with only one decent linemate every shift. Look at the points that line put up when benny first came over. It doesn’t matter how good or how much money one linemate makes,if he has a now show or plugger who can’t score on his wing,the numbers won’t be there. Did crosby,malkin,fleury and gonchar dominate us like their pay scale says they should?

269. habstrinifan says:

YEP!

270. Rainrocket16 says:

See you guys off and on in the off-season, lets try to stay positive for next year, we all know who needs to go and who needs to stay! Overall we will keep the core players who provided us the magic. Great season gang hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did!!

271. Gindan69 says:

Post Mortem time: The playoffs showed who is worth keeping and who needs to go.

The money players: Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, Goerges, Subban, Halak….that’s the core you build with, because they will bring it every day, every year, without fail.

Supporting cast: Gomez, Markov (both need to be in money player group next year for a real cup run), Hammer, Spacek, Lappierre, Price, Moen, Pyat, O’b.

Who needs to be a project that could blossom into a power forward: Pouillot

The free agents you might want to keep: Darche, Moore, Metro….although chances are you can get the same type of player, in bigger  size through UFA market.

Who needs to go if you can get a decent replacement: Pleks aka Little Girl. That’s 3 years in a row he brings nothing during playoffs.

Who really needs to go: Ak, Sk, MAB

Needless to say, a rebuild of the 3rd and 4th lines with some size and speed would change the pereception that the habs are speedy but soft. Add a couple of large wingers to the top 2 lines and maybe a large center in place of plecaneks and I think you have a recipe for a solid team.

272. tricolore says:

Pleks will get 5 mil easy from several offering teams. That’s the new NHL. To be continued. I’ll take Trotter or Deharnais, today.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

273. MontrealAtheist says:

For a guy who thinks that we were not even supposed to be here Halak looks pretty sad in the picture.

Well, without Halak we would no doubt even be here in the conference finals, but it’s probably safe to say that he was not exactly stellar throughout this series (apart from game #3) although he did not have much help from our defense and offense either.

Overall, I think we definitely made *some* progress in the right direction although there is still work left to do.

274. jimbo82 says:

Glad to see a lot of positive comments tonight boys lets keep it that way…think this team showed us this year to never doubt them, hopefully things can only get better. I know they gave me hope again and i won’t ever doubt them or any team again after what I saw this year, cause if you are determined to do something you will do it. We should never stop believing…

On a side note, though many of u might not like this….but what beast Mike Richards was tonight, that guy was determined to go to the finals, Philly and Hawks should be a great one.

go habs go!

275. HabFanSince72 says:

OK, I admit it:  it’s time for a little cautious pessimism.

276. arrow says:

Will RDS play the Calder cup series? Want to watch PK continue to dominate!

277. sailor2963 says:

They have to SKATE!  They get good chances when they move their feet.

278. arrow says:

Flyers ate too Cocky, they think they have this one!
    I STILL BELIEVE!

GO HABS GO!

279. habbytown says:

I heard Pleks, AK, and Pouliot are having surgery in the offseason- HEART TRANSPLANTS