Round 3, Game 3: Canadiens down Flyers 5-1

Canadiens defenceman
Roman Hamrlik hits Flyers’ Daniel Carcillo Thursday night.
John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Philadelphia Inquirer

AUDIO: Jacques MartinRoman Hamrlik | Dominic Moore | P.K. Subban | Peter Laviolette | Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta and Jaro Halak  | Scott Gomez

• At a Glance: After being held off the scoreboard in Games 1 and 2, the Canadiens exploded for four goals in Game of the Eastern Conference final Thursday night en route to a 5-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers. After more than 172 minutes of shutout hockey going back to the series against the Boston Bruins, Flyers goalie Michael Leighton finally flinched when Michael Cammalleri scored his 13th of the postseason 7:05 into the game. It was the first goal by the Canadiens in the Eastern Conference final after 6-0 and 3-0 losses to open the series. Tom Pyatt made it 2-0 with about three minutes to play in the first period. He knocked in the rebound of a Dominic Moore shot. Moore made it 3-0 11:33 into the second period when his shot from the slot went through Leighton’s legs. Brian Gionta gave the Canadiens a 4-0 lead when he slid the puck under Leighton’s outstreched leg exactly two minutes into the period. Jaroslav Halak was solid in the Canadiens’ net, only beaten by a Simon Gagné shot that went off Hal Gill and the post before sliding behind Halak. With a two-man advantage near the end of the game, Marc-André Bergeron made it 5-1 with a blistering one-timer from the point. P.K. Subban collected an assist on that goal, his third of the game.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have narrowed the gap againt the Flyers to 2-1 in their best-of-seven series.

• What’s Next: Game 4 will be Saturday afternoon at 3 in Montreal, with Game 5 Monday night at 7 in Philadelphia. Game 6, if necessary, will be at the Bell Centre on May 26.

1. mark_13 says:

Markov’s apparently out six months!

2. mark_13 says:

Really hope Pouliot has a great game tonight, we really need this guy to give us two legit scoring lines, actually one scoring line would be good right now!  I presume he’ll start with Gomez and Gionta?!

3. slapshot777 says:

I thought that Jim Hughson was CBC’s top dog calling the games. Isn’t that why we ended up getting Bob Cole in the first place. With CBC only covering the Habs now, Jim Hughson should have been the man doing the games not this moron Cole, he couldn’t call a game if his life depended on it.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

4. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

I can believe it…. *sigh* We’re all used to it by now.

5. Bill J says:

So Long as “MacGruber” doesn’t come to the rescue….

6. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Dont forget TPlex.

7. slapshot777 says:

I can’t believe AK46 missed that chance late in the second.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

8. Mr. Biter says:

See goal 5.

9. Say Ash says:

I think a Philly cheese-steak will need to be somehow incorporated this time, Bugs.

10. ACF says:

Love it. Cammy is playing with an edge too.   I have thoughts on some of the others but will wait ’til after the game to post…e.g. Gomer is playing like world is on his shoulders…

Btw…Can that newfie Bob Cole retire already????  F*ck!!!

I’m pissed that I canceled my RDS subscription for the season.

11. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Because of his shot on from the point, usually on the power play. but he hasn’t been demonstrating it much recently…

12. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

I actually felt bad for thinking that during game 2 for all of around 5 seconds.  Then I got over it.  Of course MAB would have to actually NOT LET THE PUCK JUMP OVER HIS STICK or pass along the blue line to no one and just hall off and shoot the puck.

Philly only has four d.  A slapper high could take out one of them for a couple seconds.  That’s all they need.

“Gionta goes into a corner with a guy who’s 6’4″ and comes out with the puck. Who’s the bigger guy?” – Cammy

13. TPlow says:

Is it me or are the Flyers a whole team of maniacs? One of those idiots is gonna kill somebody ….

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!’” — King’s X

14. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Lapierre has to keep his cool, a lot of guys up in his face, and we all know he loses his temper easily….

15. MontrealAtheist says:

We had a 5-3 before but failed to score … At least MAB knows how to take advantage of such a situation.

16. Bugs says:

Sound advice.

Crows can hold. Not like they’re goin anywhere now…

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

17. slapshot777 says:

Is Lapierre starting to get under the Flyers skin or what?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. KGB_AKA4787 says:

Im predicting a 6-3 win tonight for the good guys, the bell center will be the 6th man on ice tonight that are going to stun this fake ass team, the flyers will NOT blank the Habs again, this Win will change the series around in Montreal’s favor cuz they will rebound all over them, we just need to find a way to penetrate Gagne and baby face Briere, glad to hear Obyrne is back in the line up, we need him to play at his best and play proper,  very PHYSICAL D and not take stupid penalties, Gomez needs to score badly,if he can connect his line will be brilliant along with Andre and im expecting a big game by Pouliot tonight that will see him ice 12-15 min, Please Show the Flyers that we can be the bigger team, be patient every one as these series will be another nail biter for 5 more games,

You heard it here first!!!

Let the FLyers feel the heat tonight, let them hear the 21,000 fans rocking the ice as well as the BLEAU BLANC ROUGE

Go Habs Go

19. CHCanadien says:

This is the Habs that beat the Caps and Pens!

20. Say Ash says:

Ha! Bugs Versus the Volcano…

21. punkster says:

Bugs! Hold up there! It is not “backs-against-the-wall” time yet. Save it for the real last ditch effort. My advice is that for the next 48 hours you prepare a series of comments which we will post postumously if, AND ONLY IF, you need to use up the third spell after tonight’s game.

Rest assured we will speak fondly of you. You’re one of a kind.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

22. Chuck says:

Bugs, you know what you’ve got to do.

BTW, it was nice knowing you.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

23. tricolore says:

Poor Pleks. It’s in his head.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

24. Bugs says:

First time I messed with the Dark Arts, it was the pentagram and the candle made from the fat of a Transylvanian virgin. We won.

Second time was the cauldron and the eye of newt. We won.

If I perform a third ceremony, the circle is complete and He comes for me.

I’m all sorts of torn up about it. Scared of one; scared of the other.

Suggestions?

Cuz I got the pearl, the rotten egg, and the crows with the ripped off wings ready to go.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

25. Chuck says:

MAB needs to make some room for his shot. If I were him, I’d tell the rest of the powerplay unit, “OK, first slapper is going high… stay out of the way!”

A little chin music against the PK might be just the thing to get him an extra second of space later in the game.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

26. Ayan_SB says:

Dear MacGyver,

enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw; please help the Habs win tonight.

27. CHCanadien says:

Why is MAB in this game?  I’ve never seen anyone turn the puck over as much as mister minus does.

28. tricolore says:

Le BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

29. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

He was out there for the first 5 on 3 and couldn’t score.  Only difference was that by the time he did score, the game was in the bag.  He didn’t even get away any good shots before his goal — again, after the game was won.  So play him only when the game is already won.

He had a terrible game.  If this was his first one, I’d say let it slide, but this is now the regular, not the exception.  I was really happy when the Habs got him (watched a lot of Minnesota games), and he was effective in the regular season, but he’s not scoring when it matters and he’s putting the team at a disadvantage when he’s out there.  He’s not a rookie — he has no excuses.  (Cookie) O’Byrne should not be benched so this guy can play more time.

30. tricolore says:

Not so much their fans, but I still despise the Leafs the most. Unless the Nordiques come back.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

31. tricolore says:

There’s no room for carelessness tonight. Pride and honor are on the line here. Habs must score. Habs must win.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

32. Corporate says:

The big problem with our PP is that Philly knows that we are looking for the big shot to the bet either by Subban or MAB. Why don’t we try a new tactic like passing the uck around and getting pucks through traffic. If this doesn’t change we will be 0 for series…

33. Corporate says:

Dude… Good call…

34. sholi2000.com says:

How’s this for a new era?  I hate the Flyers and their fans more than the Leafs!

They Call Me Shane

35. rbby_habs says:

Prediction:   Habs 5, Flyers 1

Believe it or not – big breakthrough game from Pouliot.  Yup, that’s right.

36. tricolore says:

Imagine what could be if we had dead logs like AK, Pouliot, and MAB playing well?

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

37. LeeFree says:

Totally agree! Also, I am extremely disappointed in Pouilot’s play. I would sit him and play Darche. With Darche, you are guaranteed 120% of effort. I expect, or should I say hope, JM to shorten his bench tonight unless we see some some ‘wanting desire’ from Pouilot, AK, and Pleks, and Gomez. And speaking of Gomez, pullleeeeeze look interested out there, GEES!

38. Dunboyne Mike says:

MAB on PP only? Of late he has been unable to protect the blue-line on the PP, easy pucks eluding him and out of the zone, possibility of shorties for Philly. Yes, Leighton’s leg pad sounded like Foreman’s punch-bag after MAB’s lone Exocet shot in Game 1. But how many giveaways, blown coverages and PP errors is that one shot worth. A total liability at the moment — I would sit him.

39. Lafrich says:

You mean a lover, not a fighter..

40. alfieturcotte says:

Thanks Lafrich.  I like your thinking on the Cammy/Gionta 4th line activity.  All said and done, MAB not on defense is a significant improvement.  We’ll need a quick goal, play disciplined, and Halak needs to be solid.

41. rogus says:

Habs get the first goal and the flodgates open! Big nights for Lapierre and Andrei. You heard it here first!

42. ACF says:

I thought Hughson would be calling as well.  Perhaps this is Cole’s last call…CBC throwing him a bone.  I’ve always hated Bob Cole!   CBC is losing major points on their coverage of the Habs this postseason.  It is basically emphasizing how Toronto-centric they are.

Btw, great goal by Gionta. I’d love to see Pleks get one tonight.

Watch Philly to get even more goonish now.  I respect their coach though.

43. tricolore says:

He should continue to do so. He needs to be more consistent. He’s an impact player when he plays this way. Kind of reminds me of Claude Lemieux when he plays this way.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

44. Fansincebirth says:

PING!!! Flop……groan….

I just had a scene from Slapshot pop in my head….

45. mark_13 says:

We need Pouliot to be a scorer not a checker though

46. mark_13 says:

That’s very sportmanlike!  Maybe takeout Pronger by deflecting a shot off some part of his anotomy and into the net, that would work for me!

47. Fansincebirth says:

hey folks….I’m heading in to get my Habs tattoo finished off in
    about 1 hour but I want to sneak some ‘lucky charm’ for the boys….

Thus
    far I have Dryden’s pretzel mask, Roy’s mask, Plante’s mask, portrait
    of Richard and Belliveau and the logos through the years.

Just
    going in for background shading but if I ask him, he’ll add something
    for me.

Thoughts?

48. HFX-HabFan says:

The place will be rocking.  I’d love to see us come out flying, totally carrying the play and having great shifts of sustained pressure to keep the crowd’s energy sky-high.  Pot the first goal of the game halfway through the first so that the first ten minutes actually seem like a buildup.  Then keep coming at them.  The “Leighton” taunts will make him soil himself.

Get those white jerseys out of Halak’s way.  Get in Pronger’s head.  Get Carcillo to snap and take stupid penalties.  Expose their third D pairing.  Score at least one with the man advantage.  We can do this!  A win and we’re right back in this thing!

49. aemarchand11 says:

I thought Pouliot had a strong game 1, for a fourth line player. He brought the puck in the flyers zone but didnt have any support.

-Halak it alot because the Price is right-

50. slapshot777 says:

So far so good, they’re flying tonight we got to get a goal early in the second on this 2 man advantage and make it really tough.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

51. Fansincebirth says:

Have MAB load up the gun tonight and fire the damn puck at Flyers all night long, not the goalie, just forwards and d-men. In a game one PP, he loaded up at the blueline and actually nailed a good shot at Leighton. The two forwards dove out of the way as fast as they could to avoid getting hit.

MAB, our secret weapon!

52. homerbowen says:

Sorry, nothing can move the Laffs from the top of my “hate” list followed by the Bruins.

53. mark_13 says:

Just realised thats old news!  Was just shocked how long the recovery is, considering he was scating the other day!

54. showey47 says:

Nothing wrong with sending a waster up around the skull of a flyer player if it will plant a seed of fear. Its the playoffs,you do what it takes to win.

55. Lafrich says:

Alfie. Nice to see you here, and thanks for the props. I like those lines, although Moen and Pyatt could possibly change places. In addition, I would double-shift Cammy or Gionta occasionally on the fourth line instead of MAB.

56. Sags says:

alfieturcotte, I’d make a wee change to your lineup….put Moen on your 2nd line, move Pouliot to 3rd line, put Pyatt on the 4th line….ditch MAB and double shift Cammalleri/Gionta with Metro and Pyatt.

Gomez / Gionta / Cammalleri

Pleks / Andrei / Moen

Moore / Lapierre / Pouliot

Metro / Pyatt / Cammalleri/Gionta

57. alfieturcotte says:

Lafrich – I couldn’t agree with you more.

Forward line combos for tonight:

Gomez / Gionta  / Cammalleri

Pleks / AK 46 / Pouliot

Moore / Lapierre / Pyatt

Metro / Moen / MAB

58. Ayan_SB says:

Nah man, that was actually a really interesting post.

59. Ayan_SB says:

Cbcsports.ca should have the game up by tomorrow.

60. CHsam says:

Kev Mio,

That is the best pic you could post for your piece. Awesome.

61. CHsam says:

Just also wanted to share with you all that I’ve been laughing whenever Bergeron coughs up the puck. Its really great humour in a painful sense

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Montreal’s ECHL affiliate the Cincinnati Cyclones are now leading 3-1 in their League Championship, the start of a triple crown for the organization?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

63. CHsam says:

I love the optimism. Lets do it one period at a time!

64. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:
    • Listen to “ Sing Sing Sing” by Benny Goodman and you will feel the energy of this Montreal team.
    • This game reminded me of the 50′s,60′s and 70′s Canadiens teams who when needing to win a crucial playoff game wiould crush their opponents.
    • I hope that Lapierre’s teammates come to his aid when Phile tries to take him out.I would take out Briere if they cheap shot Max out-which i think they will try to-a hugh elbow just missed his head tonight.
    • Max Lap is playing out of his mind-i love it-let it all hang out Max.Better to die a hero than a coward.
    • Bad mistake by bozo the clown(aka Hartnell) pissing off Hamirlik-better to let Hamirlik sleep than to turn him into an avenging demon-he is one big mofo.Kill Hamirlik;KILL!
    • The “Wall” aka Jaro Halak stones the Flyers early,and we pound their net.Forwards feed off Halak.
    • Next game the key.If we win Phile will start realizing there was a reason we beat Washington and Pittsburgh.We just win,and we have the best goalie in the world.
    • PAY THE PRICE.If we get to the front of the net,and screen Leighton we will win.Leighton has a”HUGH 5 HOLE” not only did Lucic pump one through in the Boston series but Moore and a few others(MAB) did tonight,also.And did you notice how slow Leighton looked laterally on the Camillari goal.HABS COACHES-make leighton go side to side-he is not NHL speed calibre and is easy to beat…
    • nuff said
  65. A. Berke says:

He already has that job with the Habs!

LOL

Ali B.

66. jordo says:

Great, thanks.  Didn’t know they did that.

For anyone else: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC's_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/Full_Games

67. A. Berke says:

Finally a great game in this series. Playing this way gave us the wins in the previous series and we should have been playing from get go the same way instead of giving two games to philly morons.

Hopefully there’s opportunity for redemption, just one game at a time and please Team keep up the tempo. Everybody is thirsty in the Habs world.

Ali B.

68. HABZ24 says:

now thats more like it !! luv that feisty “sean avery” lappierre.it baffles me why we need to go down two games before we wakeup and turn it on.we used our speed to our advantage and it worked.what is plek smoking he looks totally lost out there. great effort, go habz go !!

69. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

Screw the triple crown.Let Secretariat win it.-MOI-I want the CUP!!!!!

NUFF SAID

70. Drive_For_25 says:

You guys are too smart for me!!  Therefore, I digress….

71. Mill4ever says:

Hm, JM for once decides to forecheck them hard, and – surprise – the Flyers are on their heels the whole game, coughing up the puck left and right.

A great team effort, with Hammer and Lapierre standing out. Seeing Lappy’s antics was golden – keep sticking it to these f***g Flyers.

72. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

I agree-Flyers are slow,crease crashers with a few skill players.

Attack their defensive zone;cut them off at the source.Make Pronger take hooking,holding an other lateral penalties;criss cross thezone.

73. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

I agree-Flyers are slow,crease crashers with a few skill players.

74. Peter Young says:

Kevin Mio writes:  “• At a Glance: After being held off the scoreboard in Games 1 and 2, the Canadiens exploded for four goals in Game of the Eastern Conference final Thursday night en route to a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers.”

That’s the second time that I’ve seen you get the final score wrong in one of your playoff summaries.  It was 5-1, not 4-1, as your lead sentence mistakenly has it.  At least the headline got the score right.

75. temekuhabs says:

I just finished watching the game (as I had to work, and live here on the W. Coast of the U.S., where nobody cares about the Habs-Flyers game to tell me and spoil). Glad to see the coaching staff made the nesecarry adjustments and had 2 men in and forecheck, and the most obvious adjustment was to:..SKATE…SKATE..SKATE..and (as the greatest coach in the HISTORY of the Canadiens and the NHL) Scotty Bowman said:  THROW SPEED AT THEM!!!

I expected the usual Flyer class at the end of the game (Briere that little beeyotch), but we are right back in it as we exposed that career AHLer and the monkey is off our backs.

76. jimmy shaker says:

Had to leave for work last night when the score was 4-1 and the flyers started to goon it up.  I saw the Hammer/Hartnell fight, but had to leave right away.  Looked like Richards was starting shite the whole 3rd period as well.  Basically can someone give me the low down on what went on and the penalties that were given. Any suspensions being talked about for instigating with less than 5 minutes to go?  And I hear my boy MAB got a PP goal?  How was that?

Thanks in advance for filling me in?

Shaker

77. terrygain says:

It’s more likely the players decided on their own that they couldn’t win playing Jacques Martin hockey.

78. HabsoluteFan says:

Briere crying over the Spacek incident ? Said he tried to break his neck in game 1 and now this ??

Is he serious ? His sucker punch on Spacek was worst than anything the Habs did to the Flyers so far in the series.  I can’t stand the guy…it’s now almost on a personal level !

As for last night game, THAT is what brought us where we are.  If we can keep it up, I don’t think the Flyers have anything on us.  But before looking too far ahead, fact remains that we’re trailing 2-1 in this best-of-seven.

Let’s bring the same game tomorrow…Nobody sings the OLE chant like the Bell Centre crowd !

Go Habs Go !

————————————————————————-

On december 18th, in the middle of a 5 game losing streak, this guy said the habs would turn it around and make the playoffs.

79. Mr_MacDougall says:

Hey Shaker, I can almost guarantee there will be no suspensions. Spacek punched Briere (with his glove on) then Richards came flying in, and Hartnell started throwing punches only when Hamrlik dropped his gloves.

The MAB PP goal was a 5-3 set up beautifully by Subban, although PHI did not have its’ PK unit out there, their 4rth line and 6th D.  Phi went down 5-3 from a humorous “closing the hand on puck” penalty where Bradon Coburn dropped his stick, on the PK, then grabbed the puck and threw it down the ice lol.

HaL Gill missed his first career playoff goal by two inches with 2:45 to go on an empty net (he has the second most playoff games played without a goal, behind only Craig Muni) .

80. Bash says:

MAB scores a late goal…hurrah…

The guy is brutal!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

81. dh says:

Don’t disagree with you but MAB sort of kills off his own PP with the turnovers when he’s bringing in the puck.  It was pretty noticeable last night.  He had two consecutive give aways in one PP.

I was glad to see that he seems to have gotten his shot back though.  It will force the Flyers to cover him.

82. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

Confirm or deny — he was making “chicken” noises at Philly players in the first.  I couldn’t tell if that’s what he was doing or saying “blah blah blah”.

Either way, he was amazing last night.  I laugh at how upset the Philly fans get about him.  Well, at least he’s not a head shot artist like Richards, and Montreal can lose with dignity.  We saw how THAT worked out with Philly.

83. Shublips says:

Yes, what a game! The Habs finally got back to THEIR game rather than playing into the Flyers’ game.

Continue to use your speed, boys, and the Flyers can’t keep up.

I just heard that Jeff Carter is supposed to be back next game. Honestly, who cares? If the Habs play the way they did last night then it doesn’t matter who is in the Flyers lineup!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

84. alestar says:

Awesome game, great to see Halak bounce back and glad that I was wrong about the Flyers getting into his head!

Need another effort like this one Saturday afternoon!

GO HABS!

XXIV…and counting

85. habbytown says:

not only don’t I want MAB on as a Dman, I don’t want him on the PP either. did you guys notice that when he enters the opposing zone his passes are always to the opposition, and he never keeps the puck in the zone. her’s totally useless. I say scratch him. I’m convinced if his last name wasn’t Bergeron, he wouldn’t be in the lineup. it’s sad that politics gets in the way.

86. J. Ambrose says:

Yes, yes, we know all about your anti-french position. You know, there’s this lovely little place called Alberta you could move to. No, wait, there are french towns there, too.

87. FSUPhi1584 says:

I loved the way our guys played tonight. I’d like for us to be more effective on the PP though. MAB should not be carrying the puck on the PP, he should stick to shooting. I nominate Gomez, Pleks, PK, Hamrlik, or even AK carry the puck before MAB does. He could barely get past the blue, and when he did he didn’t know what to do.

My biggest gripe though was how MAB was playing when we were trying to protect the lead. O’Byrne commits a penalty that is pretty much a result of being benched and a puck take a dangerous bounce off his stick. They weren’t grievous errors. MAB, however, allows two breakaways in the first period alone and commits two giveaways. He is then rewarded with 17 mins of ice time! Unbelievable

88. habbytown says:

you’re a moron.

89. sprague cleghorn says:

MAB should work at a bakery as a turnover machine.

90. Bugs says:

Not as sad as you convincing yourself that “politics” has anything to do with his blistering rocket shot that keeps defenders wary, thereby creating manoeuvering room for our forwards on the PP.

Epic fail, mate.

Go back to Toranna with your “politics”.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

91. Will Longlade says:

Nice tilt. Habs played to their strength (speed) and lots of guys who
    had to step it up did including Gomez, Pleks, AK46, Pouliot (still a
    project, but moving in the right direction) Hammer and Laps who wins an
    Academy Award for best supporting agitator.

92. Rainrocket16 says:

Hammer made me happy, even though he didn’t win that fight he was willing to go near that smelly ugly ass Chebacca!!

Big Win!! the next one is a must as well!!

93. Warpy says:

I’m not a huge Laps fan but he was definitely at the top of his game tonight. If he’s at the top of his game then you know the flyers are not focusing on theirs.

How worried are the flyers when our 3rd line out hits, out hustles & out scores their whole team? A few lucky bounces and this game would’ve been over in the 1st period.

As for MAB, If he doesn’t fire the big cannon then what is his role on the PP? Let the flyers get in front of a few of those rockets and feel the fear when he winds up the next time.The perception of his shot is not nearly as painful as the reality of getting hit by it.

p.s. Maybe a bigger blade on MAB’s stick would help him keep the puck in at the blue line =)

“You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you” Yogi Berra

94. dre1744 says:

And those faces Happy Lappy makes are classic. When he plays like he did tonight he infuzes energy into the whole team. Too Bad he doesn’t play like that every game.

95. Rainrocket16 says:

he looks like a trained evil killer when he gives that look!!! I love it! I bet he would lick the blood off his stick!

96. jordo says:

Does anyone know where I can go to watch the full game online, or at least more highlights than nhl.com?

I have Thursday night class, and can’t sit there staring at my laptop the whole time!

97. Rainrocket16 says:

So I sat with my Rifle in a wind blown field for 10 hours waiting for a convoy to enter my area (military training). It was a sunny day, windy as hell, boring but yet surreal. I carved my name in a tree with a habs logo under, again (bored). Then the convey enters and I blast each vehicle but also making sure they did their job by attacking me(purpose of the training is for me to die). Anyways and sorry to bore you all with this but I found a penny on the side of the road…heads up it was, I put it in my pocket and said YES!! Go Habs Go!! Thats when i knew tonight was ours!!

98. habsperspective says:

Good news finals are static at 8pm regardless of time zone.

99. daveho29 says:

I think the nhl should change the schedule, Habs games at 9pm EST just so I can watch the whole game and not miss most of the first 2 periods.

100. tricolore says:

That was a pro goal by Gionta. Smooth stuff. PK has come back in this game. His skating is flawless.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

101. blu3chip says:

PK played well, but I still think he often overplays the puck…

102. ArmyFan says:

Whilst reading the aforementioned assertion by the gentleman in question, I must heartily concur with your assessment of this verbage, fellow follower of hockey matches.

I say, I DO expect tonight’s match to be a hotly contested donnybrook.

103. Lafrich says:

Here here…or is it Hear Hear… Ah hell…OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE. GO HABS GO!

104. dudurules says:

how many mins did o’byrne play?

105. Habsforlife 1959 says:

1:34

106. dudurules says:

how many mins did o’byrne play?

107. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

Martin couldn’t coach a gangb*ng in a whorehouse.Halak is the only reason Martin is still coaching

I am sure he is thanking the god of his choice for sending him Halak whose 3 games of 40-54 shots against Washington was the best playoff goal tending in history for 3 games. Halak is a shoe in for the con smythe if they make it to the final round against Chicago.

This series is now in gear.Saturday will be a war.This Philly team is a slow skating team that likes to crash the net and beat you up in the corners.Unless we pay the price and STAY as fearless as we were today we will lose.We need to KNOCK DOWN the Flyers if they get close to the BLUE Goaltenders paint!!!! Get Ryan Obyrne in and teach him how to move guys out near the crease with strength not cross checks!!!! It can be done!Just wait until the other team shoots then knock the guy down on his butt-this eliminates deflections,rebounds etc…-Its not hard to teach, Martin you dope.

HEY REFS-Did you ever hear of cross checking.The Flyers seem to think its part of the game as i counted 22 cross checks tonight against the Canadiens.

Get Bergeron on the bench!!! He is a POWER PLAY SPECIALIST ONLY!He is giving up the puck CONSISTENTLY with errant passes,losing one on one battles etc.

NUFF SAID

108. terrygain says:

Horseshit. Martin sucks.  Undermining their confidence does not make them play better. Martin is incompetent.

109. Kain292 says:

Kevin Mio..the game was 5-1, like the title says, not 4-1, like the article says.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

110. Fansincebirth says:

Now that game has me singing and loving all over again!

New they could do it, just misplaced their mojo, that’s all.

Ok MAB, big kissy hug for scoring the goal…..

I counted 3 turn overs by MAB alone when we had a PP and O’B is the one on the bench……

I shakes me head.

111. Thurston says:

It’s about time they made Michael Leighton look like Michael Leighton. Let’s keep the momentum going Saturday afternoon!

112. habs before anything says:

completly agree, I didn’t mind MAB playing some PP here or there but he is notorious for fumbling the puck and letting it out (not to mention terrible skating). Most of Phillies have been in the crease, OB has the ability to take out the guys crowding the crease, why he didn’t even get a chance after game one is crazy to me

113. Kain292 says:

Wore my sweater tonight, dad. Told you, when I wear it at home it seems to do its trick.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

114. terrygain says:

The explanation is that Martin is a miserable coach. O’Byrne was terrific for 10 games and then Martin undermines his confidence by benching him. With his confidence shaken, he makes a mistake and is benched again. Martin is a one man wrecking crew for young players.

Great games tonight by Moore, Pyatt, Lapierre  and Metro.

115. pointu says:

Is it just me or does that moron Pronger look like the Great Gazoo in that anti concusion hemelt? What a tool.

116. mrhabby says:

he might look like tool but  if he was on the habs you would appreciate him..no.

117. Fansincebirth says:

Good job laddy boy, sporting my Halak stop sign shirt and ball cap.

118. HabsFanInTampa says:

Please don”t EVER compare the great sport of hockey to soccer. No matter the subject matter.

119. adamkennelly says:

great game – 2 things

1- JM benching OB and letting MAB cough the puck up all over the ice and Fng-up our PP breakouts is beyong comprehension.  Is he blind?..I swear I would do better than he does carrying the pcuk up ice on our PP.  F-ed them all UP..brutal.

2- thanks Chez Paree for entertaining Pronger last night – must have been fun.

120. Caballero says:

Feel bad for Obyrne but hey, the kid has got to learn. In other news, holy crap!

121. Fansincebirth says:

I think some of our MIA players will be showing up soon, perhaps next game. Pouliot was much more into the game tonight as well as AK.

Please wake up the Plekasaurus from his slumber!

I love it when Laps in in his groove. What a nasty piece of kit that is.

We’re def under their skin, hope it continues ’cause they don’t play worth shit when they’re off it….

122. tricolore says:

Boys did us proud tonight. They showed lots of passion and guts. Let’s do it again in game 4. No fear. No surrender.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

123. Fansincebirth says:

I missed some of the first period and O’B's penalty. What is it he has to learn?

124. pmaraw says:

not to shoot the puck over the glass?

125. terrygain says:

He’s learning to play Jacques Martin hockey – scared, tight and without confidence.  Martin makes him sit for 3 games and then sits again when he makes  a mistake on his first shift.

126. pmaraw says:

not if he was a minus 4 :o

127. ari says:

100% agree,he should put spacek with pk and hammer with obyurn

128. slapshot777 says:

Great game boys, that’s how we got to play them. I had to laugh at Don Cherry, basically saying that the rough stuff at the end will make the Flyers even more determined next game. The habs just got to skate and they will be alright. MAB has got to shoot the damn puck on the PP. If the Habs can score on the PP they will make Philly pay big time.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

129. arrow says:

Great team effort! P.K. Subban is exciting to watch! Moorte, Pyatt and Lapierre played with fire! Hammrlik took one for he team and held his ground with that GOON Hartnell! G-Men(Gorges/Gill) have returned to play and Heart-Attack-Halak came up strong when it counted. Gald MAB finally scored one but O’Byrne needs to stay in.

GO HABS GO! GAME #4 is OURS!

130. ari says:

if they can do it four times in a row,would be great for my pool

131. CanadienBoy says:

so mab is a turn over machine but  o’b sit the game for one mistake ???

132. noelsroyce says:

This was minor but O’Byrne takes stupid penalties ALL THE TIME! He made a lazy move and we can’t have lazy.

~Erin

133. pmaraw says:

I am sick to death of seeing the Habs get cross checked, or hit in the numbers on the BACK of the jersey!!!  It has been happening since game 1 of the playoffs and hasn’t stopped.  The only player to get a boarding call off it was crosby and that wasnt even in the numbers.  There has maybe been 2 – 3 cross checking calls from it, if that.  Somebody is gonna get hurt badly from it, when is it gonna stop?

134. pmaraw says:

I guess penalties are worse than turnovers?

135. pmaraw says:

I totally agree, he’s a big guy, take the hit, make the play.

136. noelsroyce says:

He posted early AND didn’t read it over for errors. Kevin Mio does that a lot. I guess there’s a low responsibility to spell things correctly and upload accurate information! I should get his job by these standards! :P

~Erin

137. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

We didn’t appreciate him on Team Canada.  We just thanked the hockey Gods that Doughty and Keith picked up his slack.

138. terrygain says:

In the first period Richards shook his head, waiting for the whistle, after he cross checked  Pleks (or was it Gomez) in the corner and neither ref called it.

139. WindsorHab-10 says:

Flyers are indeed a dirty bunch. They’ll be a lot dirtier in game 4.

140. pmaraw says:

it was cammy

141. Fansincebirth says:

so I guess JM would rather have stupid (MAB) than lazy (O’B)

142. terrygain says:

It had nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with confidence. He was given the puck  in a difficult position and he panicked.

143. Habs Proud says:

Hah, maybe Leighton is not so s**t hot. Looks good on him and the bottom feeding Flyers

144. TOEmastro says:

3 more guys, 3 more!

145. sailor2963 says:

Now that’s better! Great game! Real team effort. Thought Lapierre should have gotten one of the 3 stars.

146. bostonantifan says:

Great game, by everyone except Bergeron. Can anyone explain why O’Byrne gets benched for a stupid delay of game penalty, but Bergeron can keep making stupid passes to the opposition in front of Halak? He also falls down on his own more than any NHL player I’ve ever seen! Hey Jacques Bergeron CAN’T PLAY DEFENSE! Besides, with all the Flyer BS at the end, O’Byrne should at least have been out to protect the other players. As it was, putting him out for the last few seconds of the game was a slap in the face by Martin. I’d be surprised if OB’s back next season.

Hopefully the Habs can keep up the energy for Game 3. I’m glad no one got hurt when the Flyers started pulling their crap at the end. It never fails, they start losing, so they get dirty. I’d love to see someone, anyone kick a few Flyer buts before the end of the series.

147. SeriousFan09 says:

Canadiens play like a team, they can be dominant.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

148. terrygain says:

It took him about 30 games, but he is now playing Jacques Martin hockey. Scared and tight. And under this coach he’ll never get enough ice time to regain his confidence and scoring touch. Martin is a miserable coach.

149. tricolore says:

So maybe if Pouliot puts the puck in his pants, and throws himself inside the net, he might get a goal. What on earth has happened to him?

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

150. habs before anything says:

hahaha favorite comment today

151. HNS says:

Him and AK will open it up against Chicago. Stay thirsty!

152. terrygain says:

AK hit everything in sight tonight.

153. habsguy says:

LOL…you would have benched Gomez..LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL…get a life!!!!

154. tanhaa says:

Great Game Tonight.  Too Bad Halak didn’t get a shutout, it would have been poetic.

Few things noticable:

Lapierre — wow, I hope you play like this every remaining game in this series, you rocked!
    Moore — great game!
    MAB — If only he would shoot more!  He kills Habs PP for the Flyers, not being able to keep the puck in.  Win/Goal or not, he needs to pick up his game!
    Missed Chances — Gio, AK, Plek — it could have easily been 7/8-0 !

O’Byrne ———————- JM??????? WTF??????  Didn’t see Gomez get benched in any of the games after he took the first penalties in Game 1 and Game 2!  Why? Cuz he gets paid more and has a big name?
    JM has an issue.
    Team: Win!  Coach: Sigh.

155. pmaraw says:

ya… terrible coaching… down 2-1 in the EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS???

we got this guys, I Believe!!!

156. terrygain says:

We’ve gotten this far in spite of the coaching.

157. ManApart says:

What a dumb comment. The team does bad it’s all Martin. The team does good, a large part due to their systematic play and adjustments from the first 2 games and it has nothing to do with JM? Get real buddy.

158. Exit716 says:

It was 5-1

159. WindsorHab-10 says:

Great game by the whole team. Very impressed with Lapierre, Pyatt & Moore line. Lots of energy, used their bodies like they should and even scored a goal. We need them to continue with the same effort.

Damien Cox is another douchebag for suggesting the “magic” is gone, Halak done & Suban playing like a rookie. Take your words & shove them where the sun does not shine.

Poor Ryan O’Byrne. I was really pulling for him tonight. He makes a mistake the first minute of the game & JM rewards him by riding the bench for the rest of the game. MAB indeed scored but how many turnovers did he create? Way to go JM building up a young player’s confidence. JM has something against him and that’s one of the reasons that even if we win the cup this year, I want him gone from behind the bench.

160. pmaraw says:

damien cox tries daily to kiss leaf nation ass, it’s to be expected.

161. foxscape says:

Sometimes you have to push young players too.  AK46 has been much better since being sent to the fourth line.  Pouliot played a better game tonight despite being relegated to the pressbox last game.  Too much of a culture of entitlement in the Habs dressing room for years.  I’m glad to see that JM is helping to clean that up.  Face it we are in the third round and he is doing a heck of a job as the coach of this team.

and tho’ We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    –Alfred Lord

162. halak-the-best says:

Thats a lesson for the phialdelphia fans. You’ll beat our reporters, we’ll beat you on the ice.

This is revenge time!! For all the flyers fans, this video is for you

163. Habs_Drugs_And_RocknRoll says:

MAB sure showed all those nay-sayers tonight and even had the last word. Go, Habs, Go !!!

164. gp52 says:

Are you kidding ,MAB was brutal tonite, I’ve never seen a guy make so many mistakes. Its nice that he scored

that last goal, but he was also the reason Philly scored.

165. andrewberkshire says:

No he didn’t. he was absolutely brutal the entire game and then scored a meaningless goal.

166. SeriousFan09 says:

MAB was so brutal I could have sworn I was watching the new installment of SAW.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

167. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Ya he showed that he’s only useful on a 5 on 3.  Gimme a break.  He better start earning his icetime otherwise I’d rather see one of our kids making mistakes and getting some experience to make them better players for us in the future.

168. TheIndian says:

I don’t remember how many time i swore at the screen when MAB was on it..he was absolutely brutal with the puck all day.  Yeah he scroed with 30 sec left when game was already over…big freaking deal..I just don’t know why the hell he doesnt want to shoot…he keeps fumbling with the puck on blue line…I would have been happy if he had scored end of first period not the third..he must have killed 2 power play for flyers all on his own and he even made mistakes in his own zone that made me scream at JM for not putting O’Byrne.  Poor guy makes one mistake and gets benched and so many other players get free pass.

169. AndyF says:

To everyone who said it wasn’t the process…  To everyone who said the Habs were scared…   To everyone who doesn’t believe that the Flyers have nothing left, and know it….   you were wrong!

This Habs team knew they had the Flyers last game.  Now this game, the score actually showed it.  Just keep doing what you’re doing, fellas, and the Flyers will be toast!

Go, Habs. Go!

AndyF

170. Habs4ever Fan says:

AGREED

MAB SUCKED

171. Canadiangrrl says:

Terrific summary.  Spot on! :)

172. J. Ambrose says:

So much to love about tonight’s performance:

The two Jaro’s: first the one with the mask — there definitely seems to be a correlation between Halak’s state of mind and this team’s performance. When he is sharp, it feeds back into the energy of this team, and that in turn raises Jaro’s game. He made a couple of huge saves early, and it set the tone for the rest of the game.

Jaro, the flag-bearers’ best friend: his game may have sagged in the late stages of the regular season, but he is playing some of his best hockey right now. On one of the Flyers’ early power-plays, he almost single-handedly killed it off, repeatedly winning the battles along the boards and clearing the puck. And what about his countryman, the Czech Hammer? Much maligned this post-season, he was fully deserving of the first star. Brilliant.

Speaking of defenseman and PK’s,:Subban rebounded after two games in which he very much looked like a rookie to play with fire and grit and SPEED. Every time we upped the tempo of the game, the Flyers’ very tight unity began to fray, and they got caught out of position. 3 assists! Say no more.

Maddening MAB: Staying on defense, I am sorry, but MAB’s one late, meaningless goal does not make up for a game filled with ridiculous turn-overs and errant passes. No surprise that he was on the ice for the Flyers’ only goal.

Tom and Dom: Pyatt and Moore also fully deserved their star-turns. They may not get as much attention as Halak, Cammy, Gill or Gorges, but to me they have been just as important to our playoff success. They skate, they harass, they create turn-overs,  they embody the relentless drive of this team.

The two errant ships find their bearings: AK has been steadily improving over the 16 post-season games, and tonight may have been his best since his mid-April hat-trick. He is incredibly strong on his skates. Almost impossible to knock over. There was one sequence when he was battling for a loose puck in front of the Philly net as Flyers bodies kept bouncing off him. Finally one wise cookie decided to just lift Andrei’s stick to get the puck away from harm. The only thing he is missing is a goal, and Cammy tried hard to get him one when, despite being in perfect position to shoot, he chose to feed AK in front. Leighton foiled him. Dommage.

And even Benny P. showed signs of awakening. By far his best game in about two months. He is clearly snake-bitten and is afraid of making a mistake, but he worked hard, used his body size well, and had a few good scoring chances. He just may become a valuable asset in the games ahead.

And finally the enigma that is Count Coach: JM had his team back playing the way that gave the Pens and Caps so many problems. Two forecheckers, active defense, speed up the wings, and clutter in front of their goal. But where was that in the first two games? When we play passive, we may out-shoot the other team, but we lose. When we open up the throttle and use the wheels that guys like Gomez, Cammy, Pleks, Pyatt, and, yes, Laps have, we win the races to the puck and cause big problems for teams that are built to crash deep, and defend in tight.

One last note: Pronger is such a grade-A a$$. In that final scrum, he held Pleks in a head lock for no reason, and then dropped his gloves and tried to get Tommy to fight. What a twerp. There are few things sweeter than seeing Pronger stew in the sin-bin as his team gets scored on for yet another of his stupid, undisciplined penalties.

173. terrygain says:

Excellent analysis.

174. andrewberkshire says:

Great post!

175. Will Longlade says:

Nice post!

176. J. Ambrose says:

Correction: MAB wasn’t on for the goal. Although he did cough up the puck to a Flyer only seconds before the goal.

177. Habs4ever Fan says:

Just back from the Game

Amazing Game

Remember this MAB sucks Canadians in 7 in spite of JM’s coaching!

178. dudurules says:

thank dog we put him in…. wtf

179. Habsforlife 1959 says:

warming the bench for 58:26

180. linp says:

The championship final will take place also this Saturday afternoon. I’ll need to record one of the two games.

181. emann_222 says:

Great game, Great heart, Great execution.

Nice to see the big players in … MAB still sucks …

We’re gonna go back to Philly tied at 2 … Why?

Because they had NO CLUE who we are.

Go Habs Go!!!

182. WatchMojo says:

All right folks: the bandwagon is accepting members again, feel free to join the crazy train!

183. J. Ambrose says:

Why thank you, sir. Most kind of you.

184. HNS says:

……And so like I’ve been saying since game one, HABS in 7. We’ll do to LaToilet what he did to us with Carolina. The original goon squad Flyers are back. FU&* YOU PHILADELPHIA your bunch of dirty diapers.

185. Curtis O Habs says:

Six.

186. HunBun says:

That’s my Habs! Man do I miss hearing all the celebrating on St. Cat’s after a game!!

187. HNS says:

Oh yea, and for the very few in the media who have been calling for Price, you don’t know didly about this game.

188. tanhaa says:

OH and forgot to say:  Phillies are Goons.  Richards, Carcilo, RIH.

189. dre1744 says:

So are all the people doubting this team happy again.  I knew once we put one goal past that bum that the flood gates would open up.

Good to see Happy Lappy play another solid game  when this guy is playing actual hockey he infuses alot of energy into the team. And I love the faces he makes.

Another performance like this saturday afternoon and the boys are back in business.

190. mark_13 says:

Habs will win 2-1 don’t worry everyone, bounce back game from Halak, Gomez and Cammalleri with the goals.  O’Byrne has an awesome game clearing goons from infront of the crease!

191. ArmyFan says:

All hail the gods of common sense.

192. SlovakHab says:

Very simple: win and you’re in the series. Lose and you’re out golfing very soon..

193. HabFanSince72 says:

Hurrah! Jacques Martin reads Habs I/O.

194. Lafrich says:

The word “Hurrah” goes PERFECTLY with your picture.

195. nickster13 says:

But are we playing with 7 D? I hope so since Bergeron should not play full time D, powerplay duty for him only

196. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

All I would Tell O’B if I was the coach “WRECKING MACHINE”

———–
    ”Playing goal is like being shot at.” – Jacques Plante

197. Lafrich says:

Wow. Was Martin the last to see that OB should be playing? I hope this means MAB on the 4th line - PLEASE!?!

Also, with respect to Pouliot. I hope he gets to play, and not benched evrey ten mins.

198. HabFanSince72 says:

Yes – Martin cannot see what is evident to every Habs I/O contributor.

199. Storm Man says:

About time JM I did not want to toss a beer on you tonight,