Round 3, Game 3: Canadiens down Flyers 5-1

Canadiens defenceman
Roman Hamrlik hits Flyers’ Daniel Carcillo Thursday night.
John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Philadelphia Inquirer

AUDIO: Jacques MartinRoman Hamrlik | Dominic Moore | P.K. Subban | Peter Laviolette | Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta and Jaro Halak  | Scott Gomez

• At a Glance: After being held off the scoreboard in Games 1 and 2, the Canadiens exploded for four goals in Game of the Eastern Conference final Thursday night en route to a 5-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers. After more than 172 minutes of shutout hockey going back to the series against the Boston Bruins, Flyers goalie Michael Leighton finally flinched when Michael Cammalleri scored his 13th of the postseason 7:05 into the game. It was the first goal by the Canadiens in the Eastern Conference final after 6-0 and 3-0 losses to open the series. Tom Pyatt made it 2-0 with about three minutes to play in the first period. He knocked in the rebound of a Dominic Moore shot. Moore made it 3-0 11:33 into the second period when his shot from the slot went through Leighton’s legs. Brian Gionta gave the Canadiens a 4-0 lead when he slid the puck under Leighton’s outstreched leg exactly two minutes into the period. Jaroslav Halak was solid in the Canadiens’ net, only beaten by a Simon Gagné shot that went off Hal Gill and the post before sliding behind Halak. With a two-man advantage near the end of the game, Marc-André Bergeron made it 5-1 with a blistering one-timer from the point. P.K. Subban collected an assist on that goal, his third of the game.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have narrowed the gap againt the Flyers to 2-1 in their best-of-seven series.

• What’s Next: Game 4 will be Saturday afternoon at 3 in Montreal, with Game 5 Monday night at 7 in Philadelphia. Game 6, if necessary, will be at the Bell Centre on May 26.

1. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

He was out there for the first 5 on 3 and couldn’t score.  Only difference was that by the time he did score, the game was in the bag.  He didn’t even get away any good shots before his goal — again, after the game was won.  So play him only when the game is already won.

He had a terrible game.  If this was his first one, I’d say let it slide, but this is now the regular, not the exception.  I was really happy when the Habs got him (watched a lot of Minnesota games), and he was effective in the regular season, but he’s not scoring when it matters and he’s putting the team at a disadvantage when he’s out there.  He’s not a rookie — he has no excuses.  (Cookie) O’Byrne should not be benched so this guy can play more time.

“Gionta goes into a corner with a guy who’s 6’4″ and comes out with the puck. Who’s the bigger guy?” – Cammy

2. Corporate says:

Dude… Good call…

3. MontrealAtheist says:

We had a 5-3 before but failed to score … At least MAB knows how to take advantage of such a situation.

4. Mr. Biter says:

See goal 5.

5. ACF says:

I thought Hughson would be calling as well.  Perhaps this is Cole’s last call…CBC throwing him a bone.  I’ve always hated Bob Cole!   CBC is losing major points on their coverage of the Habs this postseason.  It is basically emphasizing how Toronto-centric they are.

Btw, great goal by Gionta. I’d love to see Pleks get one tonight.

Watch Philly to get even more goonish now.  I respect their coach though.

6. tricolore says:

He should continue to do so. He needs to be more consistent. He’s an impact player when he plays this way. Kind of reminds me of Claude Lemieux when he plays this way.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

7. slapshot777 says:

I thought that Jim Hughson was CBC’s top dog calling the games. Isn’t that why we ended up getting Bob Cole in the first place. With CBC only covering the Habs now, Jim Hughson should have been the man doing the games not this moron Cole, he couldn’t call a game if his life depended on it.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

8. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

I can believe it…. *sigh* We’re all used to it by now.

9. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Dont forget TPlex.

10. slapshot777 says:

I can’t believe AK46 missed that chance late in the second.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

11. ACF says:

Love it. Cammy is playing with an edge too.   I have thoughts on some of the others but will wait ’til after the game to post…e.g. Gomer is playing like world is on his shoulders…

Btw…Can that newfie Bob Cole retire already????  F*ck!!!

I’m pissed that I canceled my RDS subscription for the season.

12. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Because of his shot on from the point, usually on the power play. but he hasn’t been demonstrating it much recently…

13. TPlow says:

Is it me or are the Flyers a whole team of maniacs? One of those idiots is gonna kill somebody ….

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

14. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Lapierre has to keep his cool, a lot of guys up in his face, and we all know he loses his temper easily….

15. slapshot777 says:

Is Lapierre starting to get under the Flyers skin or what?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

16. CHCanadien says:

This is the Habs that beat the Caps and Pens!

17. tricolore says:

Poor Pleks. It’s in his head.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

18. CHCanadien says:

Why is MAB in this game?  I’ve never seen anyone turn the puck over as much as mister minus does.

19. tricolore says:

Imagine what could be if we had dead logs like AK, Pouliot, and MAB playing well?

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

20. slapshot777 says:

So far so good, they’re flying tonight we got to get a goal early in the second on this 2 man advantage and make it really tough.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

21. homerbowen says:

Sorry, nothing can move the Laffs from the top of my “hate” list followed by the Bruins.

22. tricolore says:

Le BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

23. tricolore says:

Not so much their fans, but I still despise the Leafs the most. Unless the Nordiques come back.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

24. tricolore says:

There’s no room for carelessness tonight. Pride and honor are on the line here. Habs must score. Habs must win.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

25. sholi2000.com says:

How’s this for a new era?  I hate the Flyers and their fans more than the Leafs!

They Call Me Shane

26. showey47 says:

Nothing wrong with sending a waster up around the skull of a flyer player if it will plant a seed of fear. Its the playoffs,you do what it takes to win.

27. Bill J says:

So Long as “MacGruber” doesn’t come to the rescue….

28. Say Ash says:

I think a Philly cheese-steak will need to be somehow incorporated this time, Bugs.

29. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

I actually felt bad for thinking that during game 2 for all of around 5 seconds.  Then I got over it.  Of course MAB would have to actually NOT LET THE PUCK JUMP OVER HIS STICK or pass along the blue line to no one and just hall off and shoot the puck.

Philly only has four d.  A slapper high could take out one of them for a couple seconds.  That’s all they need.

30. Bugs says:

Sound advice.

Crows can hold. Not like they’re goin anywhere now…

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

31. KGB_AKA4787 says:

Im predicting a 6-3 win tonight for the good guys, the bell center will be the 6th man on ice tonight that are going to stun this fake ass team, the flyers will NOT blank the Habs again, this Win will change the series around in Montreal’s favor cuz they will rebound all over them, we just need to find a way to penetrate Gagne and baby face Briere, glad to hear Obyrne is back in the line up, we need him to play at his best and play proper,  very PHYSICAL D and not take stupid penalties, Gomez needs to score badly,if he can connect his line will be brilliant along with Andre and im expecting a big game by Pouliot tonight that will see him ice 12-15 min, Please Show the Flyers that we can be the bigger team, be patient every one as these series will be another nail biter for 5 more games,

You heard it here first!!!

Let the FLyers feel the heat tonight, let them hear the 21,000 fans rocking the ice as well as the BLEAU BLANC ROUGE

Go Habs Go

32. Say Ash says:

Ha! Bugs Versus the Volcano…

33. punkster says:

Bugs! Hold up there! It is not “backs-against-the-wall” time yet. Save it for the real last ditch effort. My advice is that for the next 48 hours you prepare a series of comments which we will post postumously if, AND ONLY IF, you need to use up the third spell after tonight’s game.

Rest assured we will speak fondly of you. You’re one of a kind.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

34. Chuck says:

Bugs, you know what you’ve got to do.

BTW, it was nice knowing you.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

35. Bugs says:

First time I messed with the Dark Arts, it was the pentagram and the candle made from the fat of a Transylvanian virgin. We won.

Second time was the cauldron and the eye of newt. We won.

If I perform a third ceremony, the circle is complete and He comes for me.

I’m all sorts of torn up about it. Scared of one; scared of the other.

Suggestions?

Cuz I got the pearl, the rotten egg, and the crows with the ripped off wings ready to go.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

36. Chuck says:

MAB needs to make some room for his shot. If I were him, I’d tell the rest of the powerplay unit, “OK, first slapper is going high… stay out of the way!”

A little chin music against the PK might be just the thing to get him an extra second of space later in the game.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

37. Ayan_SB says:

Dear MacGyver,

enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw; please help the Habs win tonight.

38. Corporate says:

The big problem with our PP is that Philly knows that we are looking for the big shot to the bet either by Subban or MAB. Why don’t we try a new tactic like passing the uck around and getting pucks through traffic. If this doesn’t change we will be 0 for series…

39. rbby_habs says:

Prediction:   Habs 5, Flyers 1

Believe it or not – big breakthrough game from Pouliot.  Yup, that’s right.

40. LeeFree says:

Totally agree! Also, I am extremely disappointed in Pouilot’s play. I would sit him and play Darche. With Darche, you are guaranteed 120% of effort. I expect, or should I say hope, JM to shorten his bench tonight unless we see some some ‘wanting desire’ from Pouilot, AK, and Pleks, and Gomez. And speaking of Gomez, pullleeeeeze look interested out there, GEES!

41. Dunboyne Mike says:

MAB on PP only? Of late he has been unable to protect the blue-line on the PP, easy pucks eluding him and out of the zone, possibility of shorties for Philly. Yes, Leighton’s leg pad sounded like Foreman’s punch-bag after MAB’s lone Exocet shot in Game 1. But how many giveaways, blown coverages and PP errors is that one shot worth. A total liability at the moment — I would sit him.

42. Lafrich says:

You mean a lover, not a fighter..

43. alfieturcotte says:

Thanks Lafrich.  I like your thinking on the Cammy/Gionta 4th line activity.  All said and done, MAB not on defense is a significant improvement.  We’ll need a quick goal, play disciplined, and Halak needs to be solid.

44. rogus says:

Habs get the first goal and the flodgates open! Big nights for Lapierre and Andrei. You heard it here first!

45. Fansincebirth says:

PING!!! Flop……groan….

I just had a scene from Slapshot pop in my head….

46. mark_13 says:

We need Pouliot to be a scorer not a checker though

47. mark_13 says:

That’s very sportmanlike!  Maybe takeout Pronger by deflecting a shot off some part of his anotomy and into the net, that would work for me!

48. Fansincebirth says:

hey folks….I’m heading in to get my Habs tattoo finished off in
    about 1 hour but I want to sneak some ‘lucky charm’ for the boys….

Thus
    far I have Dryden’s pretzel mask, Roy’s mask, Plante’s mask, portrait
    of Richard and Belliveau and the logos through the years.

Just
    going in for background shading but if I ask him, he’ll add something
    for me.

Thoughts?

49. HFX-HabFan says:

The place will be rocking.  I’d love to see us come out flying, totally carrying the play and having great shifts of sustained pressure to keep the crowd’s energy sky-high.  Pot the first goal of the game halfway through the first so that the first ten minutes actually seem like a buildup.  Then keep coming at them.  The “Leighton” taunts will make him soil himself.

Get those white jerseys out of Halak’s way.  Get in Pronger’s head.  Get Carcillo to snap and take stupid penalties.  Expose their third D pairing.  Score at least one with the man advantage.  We can do this!  A win and we’re right back in this thing!

50. aemarchand11 says:

I thought Pouliot had a strong game 1, for a fourth line player. He brought the puck in the flyers zone but didnt have any support.

-Halak it alot because the Price is right-

51. Fansincebirth says:

Have MAB load up the gun tonight and fire the damn puck at Flyers all night long, not the goalie, just forwards and d-men. In a game one PP, he loaded up at the blueline and actually nailed a good shot at Leighton. The two forwards dove out of the way as fast as they could to avoid getting hit.

MAB, our secret weapon!

52. mark_13 says:

Just realised thats old news!  Was just shocked how long the recovery is, considering he was scating the other day!

53. mark_13 says:

Markov’s apparently out six months!

54. mark_13 says:

Really hope Pouliot has a great game tonight, we really need this guy to give us two legit scoring lines, actually one scoring line would be good right now!  I presume he’ll start with Gomez and Gionta?!