Round 3, Game 2: Canadiens fire blanks again

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak couldn’t stop the Daniel Brière shot in the first period Tuesday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Philadelphia Inquirer

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Brian Gionta I and II | Scott Gomez | Tomas Plekanec I and II

• At a Glance: After two games of the Eastern Conference final, the Canadiens have yet to score a goal on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Michael Leighton while allowing three goals. After a 6-0 loss in Game 1 Sunday night, the Canadiens fired blanks all night en route to a 3-0 loss in Philadelphia depsite outshooting the Flyers 30-23. For the second straight game, Jaroslav Halak looked average, Daniel Brière beat him high to glove side in the first period during a Flyers power play 4:16 into the game. In the second period, Simon Gagné, who has been on fire since returning from an injury in the previous round of the playoffs, made it 2-0 with another power-play goal at the 15:49 mark of the second period. Ville Leino capped the scoring in the third period with a harmless looking shot that Halak completely mishandled. Leighton has not allowed a goal in 165:50.

• Key Moments: Just like in Game 1, the Canadiens were unable to score with the man advantge, going 0-for-4, while allowing the Flyers to score twice on four opportunities.

• What It Means: The Canadiens now trail the best-of-seven series 2-0. Going back to last series against the Boston Bruins, the Flyers have won six straight games.

• What’s Next: Games 3 and 4 of the series will be in Montreal, with Game 3 on Thursday night at 7 and Game 4 Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.

1. Aaron13 says:

‘Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’ ~ Albert Einstein

Stop philosphising- you’re simply a village idiot. Does your brain hurt frequently?

MAB has one asset: a good point shot if he can control a cross-ice pass to him.

Where’s the net presence of a Moen, Lapierre, Moore et. al.? If you’re watching CHI you can see how they are screening the goaltender.

I’d rather see OB hit someone rather than MAB try to stick check a power forward.

The 3rd PHI goal was anemic. Halak should have been pulled after that. Leighton is stopping the puck because he can peer over the small forwards: he said it himself. He’s also technically sound -so far.

The Habs made it easy for Leighton because most of the shots were from 15-20 ft out.

This was not a poorly played game but simply poor strategic management by JM. Do you understnd what I’m saying?

2. terrygain says:

It was a  penalty. So was Gionta’s. Our two most experienced players, both of whom played great in the first two series, have taken stupid penalties. That’s the difference.  These guys are obviously distracted. They look out on the ice and see 47 giving the puck away while 20 sits out  and they are wondering how in hell they are going to win with such piss poor coaching.

3. ACF says:

I really dislike Bob Cole.  He is not very good at all.  I expected Jim Hughson to call this series.

4. Grallis says:

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

True but it doesn’t make it any easier to swallow…especially at tax time…

5. chelios_24 says:

They should have never traded Chelios 20 years ago. He had the heart and toughness of a lion and had he remained here all the newcomers would have continued to feed off him. Instead, we’ve had a wimpy team for the past 20 years. I know we won the cup in 1993…but that was an exception and an anomaly. \

My point is…we havn’t been tough in a very long time.

6. Mattyleg says:

Bob Cole is a Leafslover, and the rest of the gang is made up of washed-up Bruins, so it’s no wonder, really.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. deuce6 says:

You are kidding, right? The Flyers right now can have Andre Racicot in there and we wouldn’t get a sniff of a tally..

Leighton has had some not so easy saves, but has not been overly tested..We can’t get to the loose pucks in front of him..The Flyers D is just to big and strong..I can see us getting shut out, yet again..Sorry..

5 periods now in this series and we haven’t scored..Leighton has been about 20% of the reason why..

8. duffy says:

Montreal is now playing like the 8th seed team,too bad as i had high hopes,but when you go five periods without a goal you do not win.

9. Grallis says:

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

Has the CBC always hated Canadiens this much…? Or is it just me?

10. MontrealAtheist says:

We are getting a taste of our own medicine … Outshooting the opponent and being held back by a stellar goaltender. So that’s how the Capitals felt during the first series, eh?

On the bright side, Michael Leighton might well be the solution for the goaltender problem in our national team. Brodeur is getting old and Luongo and Fleur are nowhere near Leighton’s level.

11. deuce6 says:

As much as I want them to get to the show in the next round, I can see us coming up short in this series..PHI is just too big and physical..We did have a flurry there for a bit, but we panic and just throw the puck on net making it really easy for Leighton..We have been shut out for 4 periods of hockey now..When do we push the panic button?

Our guys aren’t getting to any loose pucks in fron of Leighton..

Our PP is totally getting shut down because they are pressuring our point, but because our guys scatter like chicken little when Pronger/Coburn are out there killing a penalty, we can’t capitalize on the 3 on 2 down low..

Their 2 d-man are simply keeping our forwards from penetrating the slot…Gomez/Plex/AK have to start scoring..They are 0 for 50 gms combined without a goal..

12. MontrealAtheist says:

It’s also worth pointing out that the Caps did a lousy job in screening Halak which obviously made it easier for Halak.

The Flyers aren’t that dumb though and make sure that Halak can’t see anything, so it won’t be that easy to get anywhere near that save percentage against the Philly.

13. Habs4ever Fan says:

Sorry the Penalty called against Gomez was bogus.

The ref had no clear view of the play

14. Habs_Fan_1 says:

Get back to your crack. It’s calling your name.

15. TPlow says:

So … how many early powerplays is Gomez going to turn into early powerplay goals against? Getting to be a regular thing, Scotty.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

16. MontrealAtheist says:

Does anybody know our highest number of consecutive shutout losses during the playoffs? The way Leighton plays that record might well be in danger …

Looks like the Flyers are picking up right where they left off during the last game and sadly the same also applies to our goalkeeping and our offence. Oh well, it was a nice run while it lasted.

17. Habs4ever Fan says:

Do the Habs play for JM or in spite of JM

Why put MAB out there. He truly is misfiring at all ends!

Why not put OB out there!

Habs in 7

18. skoalbandit33 says:

That video was sik! Just the pump up I needed before the game

19. Willy the bum says:

All Martin got is his cord telephone; he always bring it in his hotel room and plug it in to work.

I’m sure he also create his plays from Game Boy’s Blades of Steel.

20. tricolore says:

C’mon Habs, how about some competitive spirit tonight? Make the Flyers earn their space. Give Leighton (give me a break) nightmares!

We know we have lose some, but not like we did on Sunday. Some heart and determination please!!!!

Go Habs Go!!!!!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

21. Tydave says:

I saw this video yesterday and now… I know we can win !!!!!!

22. ab-hab-nut says:

is there anyway we can “Tweet” JM all of our ideas?? Surely if he reads all of our posts he will listen? Is he tweetable?

23. Storm Man says:

Bugs shhhhhhhhhh.

24. ice_queen says:

Slight correction: Jaro did not play the game immediately after the one he was pulled from in Round 1 – Carey played Game 4 vs Washington, then Jaro stepped in a worked his magic to help the Habs win the series. Nitpicky? Yes. But this stat of being 2-0 after being pulled means NOTHING tonight.

25. Bugs says:

You convinced me, Warpy.

Jack Marty has nothing to do with us being the final four.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

26. kempie says:

Didn’t say he sucks. Just don’t know how he keeps doing it. You’ve got to admit that some of his moves have been real head-shakers. Definitely mad props to him for getting us here. No doubt there are countless things going on that we have no clue about. But from where I sit, on my couch with my beer & the remote, I don’t understand why he doesn’t dress OB as a 7th at least. MAB as a regular pairing D? For sure we need PP production but aye yie yie. Nevertheless, we are where we are and he is the coach.

27. Warpy says:

JM is Chief Inspector Jacques (Martin) Clouseau!! I think Muller deserves more credit for leading this team. He knows what it takes to win a cup and he’s the guy who is dialing in the PK after the other teams figure it out. He makes the adjustment and then they are shut down again. Lets not forget the players might have something to do with this run as well. The best coach in the world is useless if the players won’t listen.

“You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you” Yogi Berra

28. says:

That’s a disturbing comment.

They Call Me Shane

29. Fansincebirth says:

I haven’t said JM sucks (well, not recently) I just said I don’t understand not inserting O’B into the lineup when it seems he could help the cause….

30. Fansincebirth says:

Not saying I’m a better coach than JM but I watch the games and what I see I don’t like. I watched MAB on Sunday and many other times and although I love his point shot (when he gets a good one off), the trade off isn’t worth sitting O’B in favour of MAB on D, IMHO.

Not a coach, just sit in front of my OC at work on HIO and chime in when I feel like it.

Not a coach, just sit in front of the TV and watch the Habs.

Not a coach…..

31. habaddict_andy says:

After one loss we forget how we got here in the first place.  Guys followed JM system.  Now first 2 rounds are out the window and JM sucks?  Outrageous!

32. habaddict_andy says:

It’s called work ethic and team effort.  OB must be doing something that does not go well with JM.  JM is the reason why we are here in the 3rd round.  We were not supposed to pass first round.  Team spirit, hope we find it again tonight.

33. habaddict_andy says:

34. kempie says:

Because JM is either incredibly lucky or an idiot savant. He does these outrageously stupid things that defy all logic then, out of nowhere, coaches like a genius. I dunno man. The OB/MAB thing is a stone cold no-brainer if you axe me. I bet JM could count a bundle of dropped toothpicks in less than a second.

35. VancouverHab says:

Well, since JM is a better coach than all of us here put together (nobody here is ever getting hired as an NHL coach) we can put this to rest and say that a vastly experienced NHL coach has reasons for his lineup choices that nobody here has the hockey brains to understand.

JM’s lineup chocie look opaque to us just like the PhD. thesis of an Oxford mathematician looks opaque to us — we don’t have what it takes to understand it.

36. MontrealAtheist says:

Hmmmm, which blog? Unless it’s JM’s own personal blog I would take everything with a grain of salt.

37. KenD29 says:

Recent blog says SK is “not” likely for tonight.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

38. TripleX says:

I wish I knew dude, it defies all logic.  More intriguing is, how does MAB not stay out of the doghouse?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

39. ab-hab-nut says:

right now I don’t like JM, he is not using his bench properly!!

40. pmaraw says:

word is ob is out along with pouliot, sk is in

41. pmaraw says:

man do I ever hope you’re wrong, but I did say the storyline for this year would be most elimination games won, which may or may not cause some heart attacks around here.

42. ab-hab-nut says:

Does anyone know for sure if O’B is in? I sure hope so we need size back there, hopefully one trick pony MAB can sit and watch..or maybe just play little minutes as 4th line winger?

43. 0-3To4-3 says:

I obviously don’t watch every Habs game, but OB looked okay in the playoff games I’ve seen, definitely better than MAB.  How does one get so deeply buried in the doghouse?

44. Bash says:

O’Byrne not in??………Stupid!

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

45. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

francois gagnon tweets the same:

“Sergei Kostitsyn vient de se faire retourner au vestiaire. il est donc possible qu’il joue finalement. À la place de qui?”

i’d be surprised if he’s on the bench. And even more surprised if he makes it onto the ice.

46. Storm Man says:

Is it for sure OB is not in tonights line up? I cant take seen MAB on the backend anymore.

47. TripleX says:

As bad as I feel for us the fans if O’Byrne is banished once again to the press box, I feel worse for O’Byrne.  Just when it looked as if he was regaining confidence after a prolonged dark period, JM proceeds to kick him again in the b a l l s.  When he sees MAB make mistake after mistake and play almost 18 minutes last game in an embarrassing loss, how must he feel?

Probably like SK when he was banished to the minors when players obviously inferior were called up.

ps  playing SK and not playing O’Byrne is beyond comprehension

48. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

NHL live said SK is in.

49. KenD29 says:

“Could” being the operative word!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

50. Plan B says:

sk74 could play 2 night as per team 990

51. kempie says:

We will never have a series lead until game 7.

52. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Guess it’s time for OB.
    Btw….anyone else notice that Spacek is horrible at keeping the puck in our zone? I noticed this way back in pre-season.

53. habbytown says:

wouldn’t it be nice to have a coach without blinders on, and one who doesn’t hold grudges, and one who puts his team before his personal feelings!!!

54. mike g says:

What freaks me out the most is how many times he bobbles a pass back to the point on a PP, and the puck leaves the zone.

He’s killed about 5 PP’s alone in the playoffs because of those plays. Everytime he gets a pass back there, especially one’s on the blue line, I cringe….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

55. habbytown says:

maybe we’ll get lucky and MAB will get injured serious enough to keep him out the rest of the

playoffs(3 games).

56. TripleX says:

1 goal and 4 assists and a MINUS 10  ………JM played him 17.5 minutes last game???  WTF????

57. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

How many goals has MAB scored in the playoffs?