Round 3, Game 1: Flyers crush Habs 6-0

Canadiens’ Jaroslav Halak looks back as Flyers’ Braydon Coburn scores during the first period Sunday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | sports

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Carey Price | Mike Richards | Daniel Brière

Coming off the high of a seven-game upset of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Canadiens came up flat against the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final Sunday night, losing 6-0.

After the Canadiens failed to score on their opening power play, they quickly gave up a goal to the Flyers with the man advantage when Braydon Coburn pushed a loose puck behind Jaroslav Halak.

James Van Riemsdyk made it 2-0 early in the second period with a goal off a faceoff in the Canadiens zone and the rout was on.

A few minutes later, Daniel Brière made it 3-0 and Simon Gagné made it 4-0 with another power-play goal.

Scott Hartnell made it 5-0 in the third period with a shot over Carey Price’s shoulder. Price replaced Halak after Gagné goal in the second period. Claude Giroux then made it 6-0.

The Canadiens trail the best-of-seven series 1-0, with Game 2 scheduled for Tuesday night.

1. KenD29 says:

Yes, thanks for pointing out my error.

Caps won 3 straight and then, well we all know the end result!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

2. deuce6 says:

We won game 1 in WASH..

————- “Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

3. MontrealAtheist says:

The site has been poorly programmed … It’s not that difficult to prevent double-posts like that.

4. chelios_24 says:

why am I double posting. This is annoying. I guess I have no choice but to watch Desperate Housewives.

from a desperate Habs fan.

5. WatchMojo says:

Hopefully this will just introduce reality to those who thought this series would be easier/easy.

But – this is a repeat of the first game against the Pens:

– lack of discipline

– opposing team using size

– Halak not playing out of this world but not exactly any of it being his fault.

We just need to adjust and show discipline.  As the cliche goes: let’s aim to come back to Montreal the way we did after Game 2 of the last series.

And people, either get on the bandwagon and stay on it or don’t bother getting on at all!

Go Habs Go.

6. chelios_24 says:

but the Caps and Penquins play no system open ice hockey. They also have no defense.

7. chelios_24 says:

8. chelios_24 says:

Somebody needs to do something to change things. We need something. We’re not going to win this game so it’s an opportunity to do something to show the Flyers that we’re here… They’re sleep walking and it’s so pissing me off.  We need a Nilan type momentu shift.

Someone better run at their goalie..and start something. This is how you do it in the playoffs. Enough with the choir boys routine.

9. blu3chip says:

awww, you dont give a crap about me, I’m so hurt…  awwwww

on 99

10. MontrealAtheist says:

Against the Caps they won game #1 although they lost the next 3.

11. KenD29 says:

People… gee they  have a bad game and everyone is jumping off the bandwagon and all over them. This is only Game #1, with a full period to go. They lost Game # 1 against both Caps and Pens and in the end, who is still playing!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

12. deuce6 says:

Where was I bashing them?

I don’t want more of an effort from you..I really don’t give a crap about

Some effort from the Habs would be good,

————- “Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

13. chelios_24 says:

Since 1995 we’ve been burned by the habs so many times….no matter how great our momentum is..there is alawys a touch of reality that we need to keep in mind. We’re not an elite team. We haven’t been since a very long time and that’s the reality.

14. blu3chip says:

I don’t like supporting my team blindly but I certainly won’t bash
    them whenever they are losing or having a bad game.

A loser fan
    like you don’t deserve more effort from me.

15. deuce6 says:

Naw..It’s just some people can’t take reality too well..

“Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

16. MontrealAtheist says:

Well, 4 goals on 13 shots does not speak too well for Halak though.

17. deuce6 says:

Yeah, pretty much getting embarrassed..Or embarrassing

That bandwagon just came to a crashing halt..Stupid penalties and not a will to play tough is killing us..Sooner or later depending on your goalie to stop everything is gonna come back and hurt you..The team in front of our goalie is doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot..Terrible showing..

————- “Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

18. chelios_24 says:

Isn’t that something that should be banned….

19. J Haul says:

This is pathetic. Can’t string together more than 1 pass at a time. Tons of shots from the outside. Not dangerous at all. Talk about annoying.

20. deuce6 says:

LOL..Truth hurt much? Nice post, loser..

————- “Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

21. MontrealAtheist says:

The Habs are lucky it’s only 3-0.”

Not too fast … lol

22. chelios_24 says:

It’s not Halak’s fault.  We are finally playing a team that is well coached..has great defense and most of all..plays as a unit. The Penquins and Capitals…were not.

I like how the Flyers fans are mocking us with Ole Ole Ole..

23. chelios_24 says:

This is embarassing.

24. chelios_24 says:

Yeah..I was worried about finally playing a team that is built for the Playoffs. Capitals and Penquins both had terrible defense and pride themselves on individual talented players. The Flyers are a real team.

Reality has kicked in.  We are still a small team… Right now…I wish Chelios was still on the team to take out  Briere like he did Propp.

The Habs are lucky it’s only 3-0.

25. deuce6 says:

If they aren’t gonna show up, then just give the series to PHI..Grow some freaking balls, Habs..We play a physical team and decide to roll over..Who said this team isn’t intimidated? Gorges..BS..

“Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

26. blu3chip says:

Thank you.

27. MontrealAtheist says:

4-0 … This is getting really ugly and Halak is having one of his “off” days … Our whole team looks tired and somewhat clueless, I thought the Flyers were the ones who were supposed to be tired …

Finally, Price coming him … JM should have switched goalies after the 3rd goal already.

28. Eliisa says:

HA-LAK! NOT HAV-LAK. Please! Especially if he is your “hero”. It’s just a matter of respect.

29. Sampam says:

Well, I can’t say I’m normally a Habs fan, except when they are trouncing the Leafs LOL,  but ya gotta luv this team.   It was a good ride for us a couple of years ago before losing in game 7.   I see a lot of parallels in the Canadiens cup run.

I just want to say good luck: believe in your team and support them all the way to the Cup.  There’s at least some redneck Albertans cheering for you guys!

BTW: Perry Pearns is a consistent winner and an excellent coach.  You guys are fortunate to have him on the coaching staff.

– Oiler at heart

30. Shublips says:

Oh man, this is going to be an awesome series. I have some fear when it comes to the Flyer’s size and brutishness, but I still think the Habs can pull it off. Their speed and skill should cause the Flyers to take a lot of penalties.

I think the Habs will either win in 5 games or in 7.

4 hours to game time!

Habs on Facebook: on Twitter: on

31. soperman says:

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin shares a laugh with Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez and Michael Cammalleri (hidden) ….”

No wonder the other teams can’t find him on the ice, he can even hide behind Scott Gomez.”

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

32. joeybarrie says:

The thing about this team, to me, is that given a series against one particular team we can beat them. Our coach is pretty smart. Our players can play a particular style against a team and consistently do what it takes to beat them. When we played during the regular season we had to deal with different teams with different styles. Once we figure a way to play against the Flyers, we can beat them.

Our guys are gonna do this. STARTING WITH TONIGHT.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. Bugs says:

Hal Gill and Chris Pronger exchange fightin words in the Underdog Royale.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

Shoeshine Boy knows better than that.

36. Slovak says:

Current HABS team STOP can be stopped STOP only by Halak STOP

37. Danno says:

Well, for one thing it rhymes with…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

38. WAR72 says:

just like the caps..just like the pens…habs can do this!

7 game series…lotsa hockey ahead…i had an open mind concerning the habs in this years playoffs…

i never made any predictions, i enjoyed the hockey and what was, was.

i will continue to not predict.

but taking game one would be gi-normous.

go habs go!!!

39. Bugs says:

I heard Regina still deals in wooden nickels. Is that true?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

40. Dunboyne Mike says:

(Glad you’re still posting! You need to locate that guy and pull the thorn from his foot!).

41. habsgod says:

WHAT’S WRONG WITH REGINA? i’m from regina

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

TCT, I share your concerns. In the first two series we evolved into a team that could contain finesse and capitalise (Hah!) on our opportunities. Can we adapt as readily to crash-and-bash?

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do. The collective will, self-belief and spirit of these guys is pretty incredible.

And in relation to the two areas you mention, there is surely hope in:

1) that Philly are likely to suffer from fatigue before taking out any smurfs (cuz they’re hard to catch)

2) If crashing Halak leads to penalties, our PP may force Philly to alter strategy

Which leads to what for me is the big question: what can we expect from the officiating and how significant a factor will it be?

What do you think?

43. notbigbird says:

I’ve noticed elsewhere that you are witty and funny guy. Good work.

44. JIMVINNY says:

Now that’s just not nice.  Saskatoon has had that new-fangled television thing for a couple of months now.  It may be black and white, and maybe only one in ten households have one, but they still have it.  Pick on Regina or something.  Now THAT is a pitiful place.

45. Bugs says:

Telegram to Saskatoon during last series: “Penguins powerplay STOP Shot by Crosby STOP Stop Halak STOP Shot by Malkin STOP Stop by Halak STOP Stop STOP Another stop STOP Great stop by Halak STOP Cleared by Moen STOP My arm hurts a little STOP Moen steps around Gonchar STOP Shot by Moen STOP Scores STOP My heart STOP My heart has stopped STOP Sweet Jesus someone call an ambulance STOP … STOP.”

Superfluously redundant, I remain

46. HabFab says:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

47. Habs4ever Fan says:

Hopefully our D defends Halak appropriately and we have OB on D clearing their players out from infront of the net.

Lets hope their our no key injuries resulting from blindsided hits from them.

48. tricolortrue says:

I have 2 concerns.

1) philly’s physical presence will take out out our only 2 goal scorers- Cammalleri and Gionta.

2) Philly has a much more balanced offence and their players crash the net, which will distract Halak and maybe take him off his game.

Tho I would love to see the habs win, I’m thinking Philly in 6. Habs please prove me wrong.

so is this Philly team deeper or better than the 1 than beat us in 5 games 2 years ago?

I think so.

49. Danno says:

In the name of Halak, Cammalleri and the Holy Gauthier, amen.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

50. DONJUAN says:

LETS keep this rolling GO HABS GO!!!

In HABS we trust.

51. habsgod says:

Our Father, Who art in Montreal, Maurice Richard be thy name. 24 Cups
    won Odds overcome On the road, as it is at the Bell Centre. Lead us
    tonight Down the Path to 25. And forgive us of our penalties. As we
    score against those who fault against us. And lead us not into tee time
    But deliver us from Pittsburgh For Thine is the Cammellari’s, The
    Gionta’s and the Halaks, Forever and Ever, GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!

I believe!!! Tonight, les glorieux will made more incredible history…

52. Clay4bc says:

OK, Lucic is NOT a goal scorer…his 2 goals in game 7 were just his 3rd and 4th at home ALL SEASON. As in he had 2 before that…and less and he would be lighting it up like Komisarek…

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

53. Danno says:

Not. The guy in the picture is way too handsome to be Hartnell.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

54. tricolortrue says:

well I don’t think that’s true. habs have 2 goal scorers- Cammalleri and Gionta. that’s only 2 players.

bruins had Bergeron, Ryder, Wheeler, Lucic, and Kreickji(till he got hurt). that’s 4 players.

this series is about goaltending because habs won’t score more than 2-3 goals/game.

55. tricolore says:

Hoping the boys come out strong in Phil tonight. Vive le tricolore! Go Habs Go!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

56. joeybarrie says:

I wanted the Bruins too. In the last 3 seasons we have done well against them. Except for a few games. But i wanted another chance to send them home. I love it when we do that. I hate the Flyers too. I just wanted them out. But we do get a chance for redemption for 2 seasons ago.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. Corio says:

Anything can happen boys, let’s go!

58. joeybarrie says:

only hit the button once. WEIRD. Sorry

59. Brian14 says:

Scott Hartnell is already looking past the Canadiens.

60. otter649 says:

We’ll soon find out how good a goalie Leighton is cause The Habs have more

goal scorers than The Bruins did………

Whoa Baby – What’s Going On In Pennsylvania…..(Bob Cole)

61. FeverBoy says:

i was thinking the exact same thing before, Normal 0 false false EN-US, exactly, thats the key to the habs winning. 🙂

62. joeybarrie says:

go habs go

63. CharlottetownHabbies says:

I hope the Flyers prep the way that “series breakdown” writer did.  Focusing on the importance of Hal Gill, the emergance of PK and how valuable and noteworthy Hamrlik’s been……

Hey Sargent, you just might be getting a NHL franchise back into Manitoba closer to your base. Don’t forget tickets for me when Habs are in town.,,,,,

Birth of a Team

65. Hobie Hansen says:

It all comes down to the quality of shots the Flyers are
    given. If Montreal can manage to contain Philadelphia’s  forwards from storming the net over and over
    they will come out on top. If Richards, Hartnell and others are allowed to
    crash the net all night things won’t be so good.

I think our forwards can snipe plenty of goals past Leighton
    as well.

66. nightmare_49 says:

Hab’s Prospect:  Mac Bennett / Cedar Rapids Ryders …..  Get to know him on Q & A video

In 53 games he had 9 goals and 24 points and was a +17.

He will be going to Michegan in 2010.

Gabriel Dumont: Reaching his Goals ……..  by Rick Springhetti McKeen’s Hockey Prospects Staff ………..

67. says:

I wanted to play the Bruins for the rivalry.

Plus I just down right hate the Flyers.

Beat these losers.