Round 2, Game 5: Canadiens fall to Penguins 2-1

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak makes a blocker save against Penguins Pascal Dupuis on Saturday night. Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin| Dan Bylsma | Scott Gomez | P.K. Subban | Michael Cammalleri | Glen Metropolit | Dominic Moore | Jaroslav Halak

• At a Glance: The Canadiens were able to keep the Penguins’ snipers at bay again in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinal on Saturday night, but defencemen did the damage in a 2-1 Pittsburgh win. Kris Letang gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead with less than two minutes to play in the first period when he beat Jaroslav Halak with a bullet from the point as Josh Gorges was serving a cross-checking penalty 18:18 into the period. Sergei Gonchar made it 2-0 for Pittsburgh midway through the second period when his point shot eluded a screened Halak. Marc-André Fleury made 32 saves, several of them could be called turning points in the game as the Canadiens pressed for the tying goal in the second period before the Gonchar goal, and tried to get on the scoreboard in the third period. Tomas Plekanec finally solved Fleury with 30 seconds to play when he pushed a rebound home during a 6-on-4 man advantage. Fleury made another game saver in the dying seconds as the Canadiens pushed for a miracle goal that would have tied the game 2-2.

• What It Means: The Penguins have pushed the Canadiens to the brink of elimination with a 3-2 series lead.

• What’s Next: Game 6 goes Monday night in Montreal. Game 7, if necessary, will be back in Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

1. j2w4habs25 says:

The Habs win tonight can get all of PITT in panic because as of right now their NOT!.

2. newbrunswick troy says:

well done Sean …. next time maybe a little less Hammer….and a litlle more Halak

3. Bill H says:

“It is just up to you guys BUT I BELIEVE JARO BELONGS TO MONTREAL…”

Up to us guys?  LOL I don’t make the decision on where Halak plays next year.  Nor do I decide who to play in Game 6 if Jaro let’s in a few stinkers tonight.  I’m glad I’m not the coach as I am far from qualified.  But if Jaro does play a poor game, I’d be thinking, “Is he tired?  Does he need a rest to bring level back up for Game 7?  Price can be a great goalie too…should I put him in for 1 game and hope for the best?”  Oh no…what have we done now….are we back to Price vs Halak???

I think Halak has done wonderful things against all odds.  I like an underdog, and that is part of what is appealing about him.  I know almost nothing about him personally though.  Perhaps you do, if he is your courntryman, Slovak.  But I don’t think anyone performs at that kind of level unless they love the game.  And I’d be very surprised if Halak didn’t enjoy the glory and the money just a little bit along with love of the game.

4. Bugs says:

You just finished watching it since Dec 4th?

Man, that’s a HECK of a long DVD…

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

5. Jbird says:

This could be the last game ever at the Melon Arena.  I sure hope so – I also hope their new arena is cursed.

6. alestar says:

Love that picture of Cindy and Big Hal!

XXIV…and counting

Great read, Bill. An interesting point concerning Halak. Both goalies are RFAs so I say let’s see what happens. There is no need to break the bank just yet.

8. Slovak says:

There is one big difference – Jaro is not there because of big money or glory – he just loves the game – pure and simple. That is why he can stay cool even after a horrible burnout – that is why he can bounce back – sometimes everything goes wrong and you get 6 pieces in nets or you can have a horrible streak too – I have a question for you – if Montreal gets horrible loss tonight, who would you have in nets next game – who would be the one that makes you believe you can win it??? Do you see the point… It is just up to you guys BUT I BELIEVE JARO BELONGS TO MONTREAL…

COME ON MONTREAL COME ON

9. Slovak says:

MUCH MOORE BIGGER – Chara is a proven leader for long time – and also he is a great guy – but JARO IS THE BIG STORY – his way from nothing to play off against all obstacles is like a dream – he improved year after year – never gave up never – that is attitude of a legend… And I believe he will became one…

COME ON MONTREAL COME ON