Round 2, Game 5: Canadiens fall to Penguins 2-1

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak makes a blocker save against Penguins Pascal Dupuis on Saturday night. Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin| Dan Bylsma | Scott Gomez | P.K. Subban | Michael Cammalleri | Glen Metropolit | Dominic Moore | Jaroslav Halak

• At a Glance: The Canadiens were able to keep the Penguins’ snipers at bay again in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinal on Saturday night, but defencemen did the damage in a 2-1 Pittsburgh win. Kris Letang gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead with less than two minutes to play in the first period when he beat Jaroslav Halak with a bullet from the point as Josh Gorges was serving a cross-checking penalty 18:18 into the period. Sergei Gonchar made it 2-0 for Pittsburgh midway through the second period when his point shot eluded a screened Halak. Marc-André Fleury made 32 saves, several of them could be called turning points in the game as the Canadiens pressed for the tying goal in the second period before the Gonchar goal, and tried to get on the scoreboard in the third period. Tomas Plekanec finally solved Fleury with 30 seconds to play when he pushed a rebound home during a 6-on-4 man advantage. Fleury made another game saver in the dying seconds as the Canadiens pushed for a miracle goal that would have tied the game 2-2.

• What It Means: The Penguins have pushed the Canadiens to the brink of elimination with a 3-2 series lead.

• What’s Next: Game 6 goes Monday night in Montreal. Game 7, if necessary, will be back in Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

1. newbrunswick troy says:

well done Sean …. next time maybe a little less Hammer….and a litlle more Halak

2. sh00n says:

No problem!

3. Jbird says:

True – I was just saying it was possible – I say we lose in 7 (reverse jinx)

4. Jbird says:

Our curse has a lot to do with icing bad teams – So I want a real (;-)) bigger curse on their new crappy arena.

5. W35T5ID3 says:

tnx its on my desktop now

6. 11habs11 says:

thanks, that’s wicked!

7. sh00n says:

Hey guys. When the playoffs started a made a banner for you guys to use as a wallpaper for your desktops. Today I felt motivated since school is finally finished and I made a full wallpaper for everyone, sized 1200×1600.

If you want to download the full sized image, click the download link to the left of the image!

Cheers! And GO HABS GO!

8. Slovak says:

What I was trying to say – Jaro is able to come up strong after a bad game or a bad streak as he has done it many times… That is why I don’t think he is a gamble to sign longterm – majority of other goalies that you wrote could not overcome bad game or bad period so easily… that is why I think the pressure from lost glory ties their hands… but this is not the case of Jaro – he was able to come up super strong after 2 huge burnouts in recent playoff – one with Caps and one with Pens – what does this tell you about him? Patrick Roy told in some interview that even He would have problems to come back that strong after being pulled…

And it is up to you guys – yes it is up to you all in Montreal – team, coach, owners, fans… you all have some impact on the team more or less…

But at the end I understand you – from the mathematic point is better to sign Halak for a year and see what happens. But for me it is the matter of inner feeling that he fits the team perfectly and I would sign him longterm right away for some reasonable money to have at least the backbone of this team solved for years to come…

9. homerbowen says:

Cursed??? Do you mean similar to our cuirse at the Bell Centre?