Round 2, Game 4: Canadiens battle back, tie series

Canadiens’ P.K. Subban battles with Penguins’ Sidney Crosby Thursday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Dominic Moore | Hal Gill | Mike Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Brian Gionta | Jaro Halak | P.K. Subban on his relationship with Cammalleri

• At a Glance: The Canadiens opened the scoring in Game 4 of their Eastern Conference semifinal agaisnt the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night. But they did little else for the first 40 minutes of the game, firing a grand total of 9 shots at Marc-André Fleury, who appeared weak on Tom Pyatt’s first-period goal that opened the scoring. The Penguins showed why they are the defending Stanley Cup champs, firing 25 pucks at Jaroslav Halak in the first two periods, beating him twice in the first period. Only a minute after Pyatt gave the Canadiens a 1-0 lead, Maxime Talbot was sent in on a breakaway and beat Halak between the legs. Less than two minutes after that, Chris Kunitz scored a power-play goal for a 2-1 Pittsburgh lead. After a goalless second period, Maxim Lapierre tied the game 2-2 when he surprised Fleury with a wraparound from behind the net 2:07 into the third period. About 90 seconds later, a shot by Brian Gionta went off the skate of Pittsburgh defenceman Kris Letang and eluded Fleury’s outstretched leg for a 3-2 Montreal lead.

• Key Moments: Holding on to a one-goal lead, the Canadiens were able to blank the Penguins on two power plays and Halak made several oustanding saves to preserve the lead.

• What It Means: The Canadiens won at home for only the second time this postseason and evened the series at 2-2.

• What’s Next: Game 5 will be played Saturday night in Pittsburgh and Game 6 is scheduled for Monday night at the Bell Centre. If a Game 7 is needed, it will be next Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.

1. dallyd31 says:

What is going on out there with the refs is almost cheating.  I have never seen anything like it.  Two goals the direct result of missed calls.

When Don Cherry says it is bad…you know it is bad.

2. slapshot777 says:

Any chance we can try to get double digits in shots and stay there. We are not going to score many goals with 6-7 shots a period.

3. habbyone says:

We’re toast!!!!

4. KC64 says:

We need to dig down and find some goals and keep on pestering Crosby and Malkin, and we need to stay out of the penalty box, especially guys like Gill, Gorges,Gionta,Gomez and Plekanec. We can win this thing.

Gotta Believe!!!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. tricolore says:

Pouliot and AK46 are a waste of space and time.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

6. Marty says:

Well, I think I know what everyone is going to blog about all night long on this site…

7. tricolore says:

CHEATING REFS ARE FAVOURING THE PENS.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

8. Marty says:

Agreed, but if it’s “fixed” like everyone thinks it is, then he’ll surely get a penalty as soon as he opens his trap.

9. tricolore says:

After their own goal, how the heck did they become so undisciplined and sloppy? Halak doesn’t look right.

And the refs are favouring Pens with Penalty calls. 2 blatant penalties not called against them. A##holes.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

10. Ton says:

there’s ways to do it without taking penalities. scotty never did. i remember a game back in 76. calls were not going his way and he walked around the rink while the game was on the blasted scott morrison. referee in chief at that time. he never got a penalty.  JM has to get into it. man.

11. Newf_Habster says:

Dammit. It is actually Refs 2 Habs 1. I am so pissed off cuz there were very clearly two or thre penalties on Pens right before they scored PPG.

12. dudurules says:

habs 4 pens 2… tight game… few penalties… pleks scores empty netter…

13. WAR72 says:

wether the habs kill this penalty or not there is still 40 mins to play…

the habs defencemen should try to carry the puck up more often, the passes are bein cut off…mab went coast to coast once and took a nice shot, PK has the ability to skate around guys, he should be given the green light to blaze around the ice…nothing left to lose, time to leave it all on the ice…

go habs!!

14. Fenrir767 says:

Yeah I know that’s a sweet move, I’ll have to use it next time I play and if the refs call me on it I’ll show them tape from this game.

15. joe-hab-nuno says:

“our father, who are in bell center, hockey be thy name, thy will be done, the cup be won, on ice as well as in the stands… give us this day our hockey sticks and forgive us our penalties…. as we forgive those who cross-check against us. Lead us not into elimination and deliver us to victory.. In the name of the fans.. lord stanley. and the holy halak!!! AMEN!”

16. Marty says:

Or he could push the refs to far and get an usportsman like conduct penalty. Just ask Laviolette.

17. 11habs11 says:

what a disgrace. seriously, how can they win with calls like these….impossible

18. habsman-itoba says:

My Sister-in-Law, who is a penguins fan, just called to appologise for having the refs on their payroll.  Seriously.  She did.

19. volcano62 says:

Is the whole fucking hockey world blind and/or stupid? The referees are bullshit and are clearly cheating. Is this for real? I mean WTF?

Pens, Refs and Bettman can all go to hell as far im concerned! Habs are still going to win no matter what.

20. Fenrir767 says:

Well I was thinking they it had changed after that goal that called back in Washington but after this crap I’m not so sure anymore. This is a bad joke, P.K Subban grabbed and tripped by letang it’s 1-1 after that, Gionta tripped and it’s 2-1, Kostitsyn hit like a wrestling move and no call. seriously WTF!!!

21. Ton says:

this is where an emotionally charged coach on the bench could change the ref’s future calls. get up and complain JM, call him to the bench. pens have silently  and politically complained that Gill crosses the line, their watching him. do the same on crosby, take a bench minor who cares but let it be know. pat burns and scotty were masters at it.

22. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

I didn’t realize you could just fall down, grab the skate of the opposing defender, pull him down and give your left winger a breakaway. Cool!

23. Kooch7800 says:

I agree that it would be nice to have Latts back playing the way he is now.  I am not sure Pouliot is going to be as good as Latts is now.  He has really fallen off.  He is still very young though and has good hands and speed.

Higgins had three season over 20 goals he had 23, 22 and 27 and now has really dropped off to a total of 8 goals this year.  That is a big drop.  Too bad i was always a higgins fan.

Hopefully PG can pull off a trade this summer but time will tell.  PG is going to have a busy off season.

I have to admit if Price gets traded I will be dissapointed

24. mark_13 says:

Sergei will go to the KHL, he’ll probably make good money there and maybe have some sucess just like Perezhogin did.  Andrei would be tough to trade cause of the salary, maybe Julien at Boston would take him on again!?

25. habsguy says:

it’s hard to when you spend most of the period killing phantom penalties

26. habs03 says:

I think S.Kost has the fire in him but it not always the good type of fire, when he is on his game he cares a lot more than his brother. And Mark, I think we could get a good return for both of them, both are young, we can reference the Latendress trade, 2 goals here, 26 in Mini, (sad, I’d love to have the Mini Lats).

Chris Higgins, I think after his 27 goal year people expected too much from him, he’s a really good 3rd line LW, I’d take him back for cheap.

27. christophor says:

there are no words.

28. Ton says:

learn the game people please. how to your sustain presure if your short handed. its changes the momentum of a game especially with a talented team like them. please.

29. Kooch7800 says:

Sk will never wear a habs uni ever again.  Too be honest he should have been gone after his little hissy fit not reporting to Hamilton earlier in the year.  Sergei is good but lacks it between the ears.  AK has all the tools but I think lacks the fire and intensity.

That is why seeing a player like PK in the line up with a ton of fire is a true breath of fresh air.  I say draft more North American players.  Gainey did a great job of it last year and now we need to finish it with the K brothers being shipped out.  I just don’t think we are going to get much for either of them.

On a completely seperate note,  How did Chris Higgins become so crap so fast?

30. TPlow says:

I heard it too and he’s right. If Cherry was the coach, he’d rip the ref a new one. Does Martin even blink on the bench?

31. Fenrir767 says:

THis is a freaking joke, even Don Cherry said the second goal shouldn’t have counted because Gionta was tripped up. I have never seen anything like it. I was beginning to think reffing in the NHL was fair but come on. Anyone else think Montreal won’t even have one power play tonight.

32. mark_13 says:

I think Sergei’s mind is now elsewhere, KHL bound for sure, he’s as good as gone, and seeing how Andrei and him can’t operate when one or the other is in the doghouse he’ll probably be gone too, though good luck finding a taker with his salary!  Two really frustrating players, lots of talent but no drive or desire

33. habs03 says:

Also S.Kost was not at practice, either didn’t show up or maybe told not to come. GM PG said that if Boucher is offered a job Habs won’t hold him back, Boucher must know that he is going to be the next head coach of the Habs and that it’s just a matter of time, so its up to him to leave and coach now with someone else or become the next habs coach in a year or two.

34. TPlow says:

Memo to Hal Gill: STOP TAKING PENALTIES ALREADY! Much obliged.

35. habsman-itoba says:

Any more anti-conspiracy theory people out there?  This is Fudge’n nuts.

36. slapshot777 says:

I can’t believe what I just heard. Don Cherry taking the Habs side. Saying how the refs basically are giving the Pens all the breaks and giving it to the Habs. He said that trip by Crosby was a penalty, the hit on AK46 was a penalty and the Gill Penalty was late in being called. Like Cherry said Fair is Fair, which is not even close to happening in this series.

37. WAR72 says:

still 2-1…

close score,habs can turn this around…

they sure could have used a pp on that clothesline non-call.

38. wotever says:

If it was just about the cash, I’d call it.

Realistically, you might piss off the union.  Like the fans did.  (I’m not saying the fans were wrong).

It would be nice if the review process of officiating was open.  It should be mandatory.  I think it would still be a hard pill to swallow for the rabid fans however.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

39. KenD29 says:

Betteman would love nothing more than to see the Pens back in it to keep his “dream” alive that hockey is alive and well in the US.  (Phoenix, T.B., Florida, Atlanta, Anaheim, Columbus… just to name a few that continuosly sell out!)

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

40. Ton says:

so whats your point, they acknowledged it more than once, what are u trying to say it too long for them to acknowledge it.

41. Max_a_million says:

The timing thing was secondary.  The refs needed to know how much they sucked, and I am glad the fans let them have it with a garbage shower.

42. ArmyFan says:

For once, even I have to admit that CBC did a decent job.  It was kind of like Rocky IV, though – Montreal was to Pittsburgh what Rocky was to Drago.  The gutsy underdog that’s getting screwed over gradually wins the crowd over.  How could they not get caught up in it?

Although Cole was his usual self – mistake after silly mistake.  After the go-ahead goal in the third — “Montreal’s got the lead for the first time in this game!”  Ummmmm….Bob?….they scored the first goal.

I loved the montage of missed calls.  We’ve seen a lot of poorly-called games this year, but this one was – without question or hesitation – the most disgusting display of officiating in my 30-odd years of watching NHL hockey.

43. Max_a_million says:

Not true at all.  Heely went on and on about how the guy falling on PK’s legs was not a penalty no matter what the fans thought.  He went on and on about how Gionta deserved the boarding penalty because he was embellishing the penalty committed on him.  He said that Hamrlik was embellisihing.  The fricken guy was all over pittsburgh for two and a half periods on and on and on.  Turn the sound on next time.

44. Olay Olay Olay says:

Agreed, he does kiss some serious Leaf ass, but who doesn’t in the media. It’s RDS for me the rest of the way.

45. Chuck says:

Simple solution, Eliisa: shower with your socks on!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

46. Max_a_million says:

He did forget they had the first goal didn’t he, funny.  He has been worse, when he used to do a lot of Toronto game he would forget that Saku was the captain of Canadiens and referred to Sundin always as THE CAPTAIN.

47. Fenrir767 says:

The whole it’s these calls did not come until the third perido with the Montage. CBC said nothing during the first period which is why I watched the 2nd on RDS

48. shootdapuck says:

I wish the option was available here!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

49. Fenrir767 says:

The day Bettman leaves and they make someone like Steve Yzerman comissioner is a day when everyone involved in North American Hockey can breathe a sigh of relief and rejoice!

50. KenD29 says:

My point was that Glen Healy ( a 2nd rate goalie and 2nd rate announcer) was putting down the fans yet “failing” to ackhowledge that teh Habs PK stars were also benefiting from the extra rest!

Thankfully we have RDS!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

51. Habby2CU says:

Yeah, old Bob Cole was scary bad at times. How about when he announced a goal about 5 seconds after the play had clearly stopped and Cooke was being called for a penalty.

52. Ton says:

ok i am not going to argue with you, read the other posts cbc besides bob coles forgetfullness did a great job. they actally felt for hab fans from start to finish. facts are there its on tape, watch it in on cbcexpress tonight

53. habs03 says:

Compared to the first 3 games this was his best way, at the end he actaully didn’t sound sad the Habs won.

54. Bob Barker says:

Yeah that was hilarious, old people are funny. The only thing keeping Bob Cole employed is his iconic voice because his ability to call the play has clearly deteriorated.

55. Bugs says:

Mixing both emits a gas that causes severe boils upon contact with the epidermis that can only be lanced by a silver needle.

Not recommended.

But eye of gnat delicious as spaghetti topping.

Recommended.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

56. Mad Habber says:

Healey is a jerk…I’ve said that from the start…

I still remember a few years ago when he predicted at the beginning of the season that the Habs wouldn’t make the play-offs, they finished first in the conference that year.

Honestly, I don’t know why anyone would hire him…

I was thinking the same thing about getting our PK guys the rest. Healey what an a-hole right there.

58. Max_a_million says:

I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

59. nastyHABit says:

Maxim…..im starting to like you again

60. dre1744 says:

If Arnold can run for President   then Halak should be able too run for Prime Minister!!!!!!

61. wotever says:

Ahem this site hates the iPad.

perhaps you could leave some in the pittsburgh jockstraps? Tonights refs would also be acceptable.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

62. habsguy says:

I must have went for a piss when he talked about the leafs tonight, or for the other 3 games….NEVER heard him even mention them !!!!!!!!!!!

63. DavidKB says:

Listening to Elliot Freeman interview Gionta. Asked him about the “officiating”. His reply, “No, I’m not going to comment on that.” There’s some class!

Talking to PK now. That kid is articulate, always an important part of showing leadership.

64. MontrealAtheist says:

THANK YOU ELIISA !!! You’ve done it again and helped make this victory possible … Your socks rule !!!

65. Max_a_million says:

All’s well that ends well we should enjoy the habs winning.  It doesn’t really matter if we disagree about CBC.

66. Eliisa says:

Sorry! Double.

67. Habsone says:

Lol!!  I have one of those lol!!!!!

68. Eliisa says:

It might not be hygenic but I am not taking off these socks – ever! Unbelievable… there are no words.

69. arrow says:

Great Game (3rd period that is!) G-Men (Gorges/Gill) and Heart-Attack Halak always make it exciting! Lapierre with the wrap around goal (in memory of Latendresse) was on fire tonite! PK Subban had a tough nite but he and the rest of the team did not give up!

GO HABS GO!

70. DavidKB says:

Yeah, you said that already…

You said that already.

71. AH says:

Un freaking believable!!!!They beat the refs!!! Way to go boys!!!! After all those BS non – calls in the first I was sure we were dead. I’m gonna have a heart attack watching these guys, and my wife is all over me for screaming at the TV!!

72. deggy24 says:

The call on Gionta was maybe the worst call I’ve ever seen, especially after they let everything go for 15 minutes.. He had weight on him well before he fell, from Gionta’s lower body strength; and the guy who fell is 40 lbs heavier and 6b inches taller. Unbelievable. The broken stick, isn’t that automatic?

Like I said before we can beat these guys. Hats off to Halak, Maxime (who has been great), and the whole team.

73. nastyHABit says:

glenn healy nearly choked at the end of the game when he said…..Montreal may just have taken control of the series

74. 11habs11 says:

I want a Subban jersey

75. hockeylegend514 says:

Habs won against the Bettman and his goons tonight. Great job boys!

76. slapshot777 says:

That is a good reply. I just watched the media scrum in the locker room and everyone is asking all the players to comment on the reffing. Go on the players not to cave in and respond on the officiating. I want to see How JM will respond, .I doubt he will cave in

77. TPlow says:

Good on ya, boys! Talk about guts. Let me add my voice to the chorus of protest against the referees tonight. I haven’t seen such one-sided officiating since the 2002 women’s gold medal game. I don’t have a problem with the calls against Montreal, but the non-calls against Pittsburgh were mindboggling. If it wasn’t deliberate it was grossly incompetent. I hope somebody lodges a formal complaint. Even CBC was talking about it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

78. showey47 says:

Could be worse,they could be habs underwear,lol

79. habaholic68NJ says:

I am still shaking and can’t believe that we beat the champs who were going for the knock-out punch tonight with the help of the refs (one of the worst games of officiating to date.  Thank you ghosts of the forum for moving to the bell center and making things right.  Go Habs!  All the way.  I am a believer.

80. shootdapuck says:

Hey Shaker did you hear your hero BooB Cole call Halak; Roy on the Malkin breakway!

Senile past his retirement date by 10 years!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

81. wotever says:

I’d like to hear Bylsma say, “refs, you’re not doing us any favours with bad officiating.  It pumped them up.”  He won’t but…

He looks like he’s having a hard time with the post-game interview.

edit: why is there a padlock on the dressing room door!?

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

82. sutchy27 says:

awesome team game you pitt and the refs

83. habaholic68NJ says:

NO way.  They are too valuable.  Please use them only when we need them.

84. Ton says:

i am going to file a claim against you, you stole my post. we do think the same.

85. sutchy27 says:

sorry messed up the other post you BEAT the refs and pitt

86. HFX-HabFan says:

I laughed at that one so hard, it brought tears.  Cole should have retired at least ten years ago, when he was still somewhat on top of things.

87. slapshot777 says:

For me the blatant call that wasn’t made was the slash by Crosby on Moores stick that broke and wasn’t called yet everytime Crosby has had a stick broke via a slash and a penalty was called.

The refs don’t plan on calling anything on Cindy Crosby.

88. wotever says:

Oh give me a break.  Puh-lease.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

89. Ton says:

bull, cbc called it from the start. i watched the whole game on cbc where were you. called it in the first period, cherry said it at the end of the first they mentioned it in the second and climaxed it in the third as you stated. otherwise they were all over it.

90. Bugs says:

We win one more game?

Furthest we’ll’ve gone since 93.

(Turns out it was eye of newt in the blood elixir…for those who care.)

91. DavidKB says:

Like I said earlier, it was only the third that I was able to watch, but the bonus was listening to the interview with Jean Beliveau.

92. Fenrir767 says:

Cherry did but the announcers didn’t, they didn’t until the third period when someone pointed out it might hurt their rep if they didn’t

93. 11habs11 says:

LOL, keep plenty of newt in your freezer for a long playoff run

94. Bob Barker says:

yeah that was effing bs.

95. habs03 says:

Someone plz send the video of Pyatt from tonights game, 2 points!! Bob Cole was surprisingly good tonight specially at the end.

96. 11habs11 says:

This is great, I’m enjoying this playoff run so much. We’re gonna look back on this for years to come and remember how amazing of a run this was

97. Max_a_million says:

Wow CBC postgame is complementing the habs a lot.  Am I in some bizarro world?

98. slapshot777 says:

The league and everyone involved from Bettman on down to Terry Gregson (head of officating) has got to be saying  boys we are looking way to incompetent. I hope they tell the refs to smarten up for the rest of the series.

99. shootdapuck says:

Are you joking he called Halak – Roy on Malkins breakaway!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

100. Ton says:

i cannot believe how this team is winning on 5 cylinders, incredible to say the least.  if ak come alive, pouliot come alive, and one more unsung hero come out of the closet> they could go far folks!

101. wotever says:

…Are you complaining?

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

102. Ton says:

not true, cbc did a great job today, i had no choice to watch it, i had anglo visit!

103. Max_a_million says:

Wrong Heely was justifying the calls throughout.  He mentioned the fans were complaining, but went on and on about how the Canadiens deserved penalties for embellishing.

104. slapshot777 says:

They have no choice but to praise the Habs, the hockey fan whether he or she is a Habs fan, Pens fan or a hockey fan in general has got to see that this was a game that was heavily tilted towards the Pens. There is not one person who can look at this game and say that the Habs even though they won got stiffed on a lot of penalties.

105. Big Ted says:

Everyone knows the Habs got screwed over by the refs tonight. The officiating just keeps getting more and more brutal, and I don’t know how anyone could have watched that without thinking the refs had money on the Pens or orders from the league. What other explanation is there? There is no other solution but for the Molsons and Pierre Boivin and Pierre Gauthier to call out the refs in public. We just got a game 6 gate, so take the fine and make the position known. The reffing is unacceptable, and the league is either apporving it or it’s complacent about it, and both of those are a problem. As for the habs, great games from Laps, Moore, Gorges, Subban, Pyatt, Darche… first time the team has been led by the workmen instead of the stars. Hopefully next game, the whole line-up shows up for the whole game.

106. punkster says:

Did you take my advice and mix up a batch of both just in case? ‘Cause the newt may not work on the road. Hope you thought of that you know, latitude and longitude changes and all that.

107. habsguy says:

Cole may be getting a little old,  BUT he’s head and shoulders better than the damn yank game callers,  I still enjoy him,  very unbiased

108. Max_a_million says:

Do you understand english?  Cole was decent, but Heely was a douche until that 5 min mark montage and the postgame.

109. Merc_Roswell says:

Yay Habs! The refereeing tonight was absolute crap! Does the NHL really not want the habs to beat the CrosbyPens? I normally don’t like to think the officiating is anything but fair but holy crap, there were some huge gaffs tonight.

110. Ton says:

come on folks they did, listen up. they said “its these calls folks that the crowd are disputing and they have a reason to be upset” in the first period, cherry in the first, again in the third, montage at the end, what are u expecting out of them, give them credit, CBC did a great job tonight.

111. megagoten says:

they had montages of blown calls during the game.

did you even watch it on cbc tonight?

112. KenD29 says:

You must be because Glenn Healy started in about how the fans were helping the Pens stars get additional rest by throwing garbage on the ice after a brutal call. Of course, he failed to mention that it was also giving a well deserved rest to Gill and Gorges!

I switched back over to RDS where Pierre Houde and Benny can remember the player’s name and what teams are actually playing! Bob Cole needs to hang up the mike!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

113. slapshot777 says:

Just imagine, Pyatt was a throw in on the Higgins deal.

114. shootdapuck says:

Unbiased? He is the biggest LAFFS shill in existance.

BTW in a country where hockey is King the people’s network should be able to do alot better than Cole. PJ Stock, Healey Milbury and the rest of those morons!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

115. Ton says:

Ian from reading the posts I know you know your hockey. I have been watching since the 60’s and that was brutal. I think with TSN, CBC, RDS, and the entire nation on side with us I think think the league embarrassed themselves.

116. Bugs says:

Oh, was there a game tonight?

117. Ton says:

you have to admit the national athem and the crowd singing at the start made you proud to be a canadian and a hab also. anyone there to witness that great moment?

118. habsfansince91 says:

i was there at game 3 against washington. It was the best experience ever even though they lost.

119. Ton says:

hey thats a good point, anyone have the leaque’s fax number in new york or toronto, perhaps an email address, could you imagine bombarding either with about 60,000 complaints, that would be fun!!!

120. pmaraw says:

yes, and it was great, by the habs.  reminded me of the time canada’s women won gold in the olympics vs the usa, when the canadian women were constantly on the penalty kill.  however I dont think our women whined or cried about it, they acted like men.

121. Max_a_million says:

We were no defending the reffing at all.  There are many post where I am blasting the reffing here.  I think the garbage shower kep us from getting an undeserved penalty on Gorges on the Malikn breakaway.  It would have been an easy thing to do.

122. dudurules says:

I meant the individual non call on Malkin.., and the fact that it wasn’t called was based on the biased towards the Pens all game…

now that you understand, do you agree?

123. Fenrir767 says:

I have to disagree with that the non calls in the first period were blatant and ridiculous to the point that the penalty that Hal Gil took was nothing in Comparison and the non calls cost us two goals thank you! I have no idea how you can defend that reffing.

124. sprague cleghorn says:

75 International Road
    Suite 300
    Rexdale, Ontario M9W 6L9
    (416) 798-0809

(no fax numbers)

125. sprague cleghorn says:

Just reposting what I said earlier because it’s apropos here:

I have been watching the Habs in the playoffs since the 1960’s, and
    that was the single worst refereed NHL playoff game I’ve even seen.
    The crowd covering the ice in debris was a genuine turning point — it
    gave the Habs penalty killers a breather AND it put a little fear into
    the zebras. I have never been a conspiracy theorist when it comes to
    officiating, but it’s hard to watch that disgraceful display and not
    think about it.

126. WindsorHab-10 says:

Bob Cole?

127. ooder says:

ok so now that the game is over.. anyone else find the Gionta boarding Bruce Orpik a little ridiculous lol.

the refs came up to Gionta right before that and told him he was embellishing when he was crosschecked in front of the net.

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

128. Rainrocket16 says:

Bugs was in the ZEN mode, I am sure she watched it. keep it up Bugs.

129. SeriousFan09 says:

Refs can’t believe that Gionta is strong enough to actually hit someone cleanly and knock them down is what it is. Gionta has to be very strong for his size to make it in the NHL and he is, but they don’t think he can do it so he will get called on nothing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

130. wd40 says:

if memory serves, 13 penalties were called against Canada to 1 against the US.  The Ref was American.  Just sayin’…

131. Big Ted says:

That call was also ridiculous. They were both going into the boards together at 2 mph… And Gionta not only got cross-checked in the back he also got slashed on the back of the leg twice on the previous play.

132. WestHab says:

Even Cherry denounced the non calls against Montreal tonight, that’s saying a lot.

but in the end of this one the good guys won in splendid dramatic fashion.

Lapps on that low percentage wrap around just turned the whole thing and the pens started to look like the caps.

Les Smurfs Sont La!

133. ArmyFan says:

Ian – your post is bang on.  I made the argument about NHL=business=money=”do what’s necessary to make more money” early in the Washington series.  I got scoffed at by a few people in writing, and I’m sure many more in thought.

Sure, I wrote it in one of my angry moments when I’m convinced that all the forces in the Universe are aligning against me and the things I care most about.

But I’m sure there’s at least a few that are thinking twice about it after tonight…..

134. OldGrover says:

Yeah, the reffing blew.  Hard to think that there wasn’t some reason behind it.

Worst thing was I couldn’t get too loud or mad – I had my 2 week old son on my lap, introducing him to the Habs early!

135. RS says:

Orpik saw him coming and braced himself. It wasn’t a hit from behind either. It shouldn’t have been a penalty.

136. Bugs says:

Schtroumphs.

137. Bugs says:

Aah, the memories. Those were great times.

When women were men and men were women, aye.

138. slapshot777 says:

Game 5 Saturday, I would like to see the Habs score early and stick it to the Pens. The Habs need to win this onealso.

139. dudurules says:

if that game was reffed equally the whole game, Malkin gets a penalty shot or Goerges gets the tripping call.  Since, it leaned heavily in Pens favour, they couldn’t call it.

140. SeriousFan09 says:

Canadiens have been road warriors in these playoffs, much like the Pens, both have had troubles in their own barn so I think the Canadiens have a very good chance to take Game 5 and get back to friendly ice for Game 6 and work further on using home ice advantage.

The NHL I think will be very conscious about the officials they assign for Game 5 after so many questions about tonight’s officiating as well, we may get a bit more of a break there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

141. dudurules says:

Of course they miss Orpik leap into Pleks earlier in the game total tihsllub.

142. Bugs says:

Who was that poster clown what went on and on all year about how the refs were conspirin against us and deliberately tryin to sabotage our games because they were ordered to by NHL bigwigs who were only interested in the bottom dollar?

Get’m back over here; I wanna hear what he has to say again.

143. Max_a_million says:

When I said Bob Cole was decent I meant he wasn’t anti-Canadien tonight.  I actually find his forgetting goals, players, and calling the Cooke shot ten seconds after the play is over a goal charming as long as he is unbiased.  It’s nice to see older people employee.

CBC being at least neutral makes me happy.

144. Max_a_million says:

maybe … I think you just might have a really good point here.

145. Xtrahabsfan says:

Has Criesbaby spouted  off yet?

146. MontrealAtheist says:

Bring on the Bruins !!!

147. Will Longlade says:

His call of the Pen’s alleged third goal was priceless. Sounded like he had an orgasm.

148. slapshot777 says:

Good point on the officiating, I think it will be closely looked at.

149. MontrealAtheist says:

OMG what a game … The atmosphere in the Bell Centre was incredible … Thanks to everybody for not shaving and showering for weeks, wearing the same old stinky socks over and over again.

150. HFX-HabFan says:

I laughed so hard at that it brought tears.  Cole should have retired a good ten years ago while he was still somewhat on top of things.

151. HNS says:

The Versus crew seem to claim PK has been solved by the Pens saying that they have picked up his skating pattern. The Pens will be scratching their heads on Saturday wondering where that pattern went to. GREAT comeback by our boys. If you guys thought the officiating took it in the shorts tonite, wait till Saturday. I’m gonna need to triple my intake of beer. Ay Carumba!

152. HNS says:

Great Avatar. Perfect!!!

153. Cee_8ch says:

Plain and simple…..the refereeing was disgusting.

154. HNS says:

Send that man an AARP card immediately!

155. Mikey_39 says:

Does anyone still doubt that the reffing is fixed?

156. Merc_Roswell says:

I know that Crosby gets a lot of attention from the opposing players and has been on the receiving end of some penalties that weren’t called that should’ve been but, what the ding dong were the refs doing tonight? giving him carte blanche???

157. Rainrocket16 says:

Uglyness hasn’t even begun I am afraid.. I will stock up as well!! VS. thinks they know it all… Great Avatar!!

158. DONJUAN says:

THE officials were brutal?  how plecky on the pk get his stick chopped and then not called kills me and cindy’s was the AK46 interference at the blueline and the one that sold me that this  was a fix was gomez being held behind the net no call.  We complain about tim peel this crew was a joke GO HABS GO!!!

In HABS we trust.

159. gp52 says:

I’m surprised the refs weren’t wearing their Penguin outfits tonite.

160. Rainrocket16 says:

one can hope but Cindy will still get his way,,, has he had one penalty yet?

161. Merc_Roswell says:

I just loved the confidence that Halak showed when he flipped the puck off the glass when the Pens were swarming in his zone in the dying seconds of the third period. Classic!

162. megagoten says:

bad =/= fixed

163. Merc_Roswell says:

Too bad the Habs don’t have someone of AK46’s skill to sub in for him. Zero shots on goal tonight. Nice to see someone other than Cammi and Gionta scoring tonight (Gionta’s was awarded to him off of Letang’s skate).

I luv it!!!!

Please excuse. My spell check is missing of my tool bar and I can’t get it back. It is worse than my devorce!!

We were kept on the edge of our seats most of the night, but would you have it any different. Now its a best of 3 series, only need to win two.

Now for what I realy want to say. There is a lot of NBC money at stake here. The big money for the owners in the league is in TV state side. And where there is money there is coruption, or at the least favourtism. I will leave you with that thought while I speak to the game tonight itself, and how it was managed by the officials.

I have seen thousands of games in my lifetime, some rough, some dirty, some got right out of hand, some poorly officiated, but yes even referees have bad games.We always think that the ref missed a call or something during most games for one side or another. That’s just part of the game.

But I have to tell you this. I have never seen a blatent spectacle of favourtism officiating like that in my entire life. It was worse than brutal.

My opinion, the fix was in, no two referees could possibly be that incompatent, it made me sick. If Gauthier does not put in a formal request that these referees never see ice again. I will be very much disappointed in him.

166. Rainrocket16 says:

Halak the door and threw away the key after a lousy start!! So glad he bounced back and redeemed himself, this kid is starting to show some composure I think.

Is Crosby’s stick made of plywood..perhabs styrofoam, I swear he breaks a stick every time he cries. Very often.

This is the Madagascar series….Zebras and Penguins vs. the Habs!

167. Merc_Roswell says:

Maybe Crosby saws a little bit into the shaft so it breaks easier when slashed ha ha lol.

168. HNS says:

Awesome that they came back from being down going into the third. We all know this game is made up of momentum and then confidence. This type of game is a tremendous building block on the road to the cup. Totally Awesome. They restored my confidence. The league’s refs still blow and they will do whatever they can for Cindy. F U Betmann!!!!!!!

169. jimmy shaker says:

So we beat the penguins, Bettman, Furlatt and Devorski tonight. Great effort from the boys and it was needed as the stripes were clearly working for the Penguins. All the missed calls were totally disgusting. I hope there will be a lot of complaints to the NHL on this horrible display. And at least it’s officially unofficial that no matter what Sid does, he will not be getting a penalty. I hope Bettman and these two zebras have diarrhea for the next two weeks. And Gorges was crazy tonight. MAB +1 and an assist, love it! Now we truly get HNIC on a Saturday night, let’s make it right boys!

Cheers!

SHaker

170. terrygain says:

Screw off. He played hard. He’s become the set up guy on that line.

171. Les Habitants says:

Nicely put Ian.

I completely lost it a few times tonight because of the officiating. That combined with Bob Coles commentary really took away a lot of the enjoyment of tonight’s game for me. Thank God we won anyway!

GO HABS GO!!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

172. lavie says:

Watching Subban’s interview is so much fun.

173. dougiehab says:

coudn’t agree more Jim  I’m estatic the habs won tonight, It is embarrasing as a hockey fan that the NHL could let this go on

174. Ghosts of the Forum says:

When Don Cherry says the Habs are getting a raw deal, you know it must be true.  Of all the non-calls and calls the one that kills me is the end of the first period.  No call until Crosby looked at the ref.  Blatant.  Blatant.  And hopefully embarrassing for the officials.  As much as the NHL needs the Pens to go far, I have to believe that there are a lot of officials out there who take a lot of pride in their work and call the game as it should be called.  Obviously we didn’t see them tonight, but let’s hope they are around for game 5.

175. pmaraw says:

that officiating was disgraceful, i didnt know crosby was a referee tho

176. sprague cleghorn says:

I have been watching the Habs in the playoffs since the 1960’s, and
    that was the single worst refereed NHL playoff game I’ve even seen.
    The crowd covering the ice in debris was a genuine turning point — it
    gave the Habs penalty killers a breather AND it put a little fear into
    the zebras. I have never been a conspiracy theorist when it comes to
    officiating, but it’s hard to watch that disgraceful display and not
    think about it.

177. habsfansince91 says:

great game by the habs tonight

178. Mothstoflame says:

If anybody here is going to game 6 or know somebody going.  I would really hope we stop ALL chanting and just start… “Cry baby…. Cry Baby…”  I think we all know who is gonna get that one.

and there refs must have been blown by chris lee before this game

179. Mikey_39 says:

BAD + INCONSISTENT + COMPLETELY FAVORING ONE TEAM + TREND BEING CONSISTENT THROUGH OUT THE PLAYOFFS =      FIXED

180. Mothstoflame says:

i dont know what game you watched him set up in.   But he likes to “Set” up 10 feet infront of the net vibrate and spin, then fall.   Page outta homer simpson

181. pmaraw says:

you know, i think don cherry has enough integrity to want a fair game.  nobody is gonna stop him from saying what he wants and i for one am glad such a prominent figure in the hockey world said it.

182. pic1983 says:

Scalping is technically illegal. At least in the states it is.  I mean, its not like legitimate business are reselling playoff tickets at premiums, its guys on street corners, and over the internet.  Its out of the leagues control.

183. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

technically it is illegal, but it’s impossible to control. the nhl tried for a while to create a legal way to sell them through their site but it waasn’t that popular. why? because people couldn’t sell tickets for 1500$.

interesting note about scalping… i read an article recently where some musicians bought tickets themselves and then scalped them at an even higher profit… sigh.

184. habs03 says:

Must win tonight, hope the guys can get the win. Question for anyone that can answer, on the previous thread they said tickets being sold for 1500, now the person that is profiting is the scalper, who I’m guessing bought the tickets for 500, 600, why doesn’t the league ban scalping (I’m surprised it’s not illegal) so more fans get tickets at regular prices. I might be confused about the subject so sorry if I’m totally off.

185. Storm Man says:

Capitalism makes the world a better place.

186. dre1744 says:

Subban has been having his worst game defensively since he joined the habs tonight.  He has been victimized a few times  by the likes of Malkin  and Crosby  but hey those are some growing pains and learning experiences he will need to go thru to get better.

187. DavidKB says:

I only saw the third period. Some of the best hockey by the Canadiens I have ever seen.

And to think, we almost got to hear of Halak, “He shoots, he scores!”

188. slapshot777 says:

This so far is the worst game the Habs have played. It’s like they have forgot how to pass tape to tape and how to make crisp passes coming out of their zone and it seems like every time we skate out of our zone and into theirs we are constantly chainging lines. Make no wonder that the Habs can’t sustain any pressure there is no one on the ice to skate into the zone to force the issue.

9 shots after 2 periods is really a disgrace. A shinny team would have more than that after 2 periods, and still have the same result as the Habs did in the second.

189. habsfansince91 says:

not only did we beat the penguins, we beat bettman and his refs

190. Jeff says:

Wow, I’m gonna give credit where credit is due, HALAK is the BEST goalie in the 2010 playoffs bar NONE!

Super job!

191. sailor2963 says:

Yeah baby! Great game! Great heart shown by this team. Where are those Lapierre doubters now?

192. terrygain says:

Duh. He’s a rookie.

193. Habsone says:

Great job Les Boys!!!   The refs tried hard!!!  Go Habs Go!!!

194. Sambaguio says:

My prediction accuracy is still alive — Habs in 6. Sweeeeeet!!

——————————————
    Halak is beaming right now, “Look, Gainey, I’m the REAL number 1. Your so-called ‘thoroughbred’ is sitting on the bench.”

195. Chuck says:

The Wings aren’t done yet.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

196. slapshot777 says:

This game has got to be ours, dammit. So let’s go and take it in the third.

197. Rossy says:

The conspiracy believers sure got a boatload of ammo tonight.  I didn’t think there was a worse ref than Chris Lee, but apparently I was wrong.

198. habs03 says:

I don’t buy into the refs dislike a certain team or the NHL want the Pens to win, but that was the worst referring i’d seen in a while. The WORST of all calls was during their last PP Crosby broke Pleck stick with a flash and NO CALL!!! HORRIBLE!!!

199. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

The NBC® Penguins managed to rig the NHL. Stupid Refs….

200. Sambaguio says:

Oh, I also predicted the Sharks will beat the Red Wings in the series. Damn, I’m good!

——————————————

201. slapshot777 says:

Well yu got to see the best period of the game, for goals for the Habs anyways.

202. terrygain says:

Everything you say is true but it looks like they’ve thrown Martin’s pathetic system overboard in the 3rd period. Refs still pulling for Pittsburgh, though.

203. Fenrir767 says:

Anyone else find it funny how when it hits 3-2 for us all of sudden no more penalties for MTL and the chinsiest calls go against us. This game is Hockey Gods 3 and Bettman and the NHL 2, I wanted to see Montreal vs the Pens but if I gotta see Luck vs Crap Reffing well I’ll watch it.

204. Bugs says:

8:20 left.

I’m gonna have a friggin heart attack.

205. 11habs11 says:

couldn’t have said it better myself

206. slapshot777 says:

Funny how when some slashes Crosby’s stick and it breaks it’s a penalty and when Crosby slashes the Habs players stk no penalty.

207. 11habs11 says:

Producer Tim: “Pens becoming Halak-tose intolerant”

208. lavie says:

Heart, heart, oh, my heart!

209. FuzE_gus says:

Why do I care so much?  Can my heart take this pounding??????

With Regards from FuzE_gus

210. terrygain says:

HABS DEFEAT REFS!

And Pittsburgh.

211. Exit716 says:

It was Fedotenko that tripped Subban on the first goal.

Godard isn’t playing. I think he’s hanging out with Laraque.

212. Bugs says:

Un.

Ber.

Lievable.

213. dre1744 says:

People talk about how bad AK46  is  well  lets talk about how bad Benoit Puliot  is,  this guy has just been terrible for the past 3 months. He can’t skate  falls over the blue line,  is easily pushed off the puck,  can’t hit the net to save his life.  The guy came over from Minny and scored like crazy  for a bit. Does Ollie Jokinen come to mind  when he got traded to calgary.  This guy should not be on the team next year.

214. habs63 says:

haha just what I was going to say.

215. Habsone says:

What the f….. are the refs doing!!  Can they make it more  obvious!  Go Habs Go!!!

216. dallyd31 says:

The first period pretty much made me seriously wonder about bias and conspiracy theories.  However, the givaways, blind passes to nowhere and zero forecheck aren’t helping their cause either.

217. megagoten says:

NFL RULES FOR THE PENS TONIGHT

218. dre1744 says:

What if the refs actually called a game the way it is supposed to be called………..   History will be made!!!!!!!

219. punkster says:

Take that damn thing out of your mouth, you’ll stunt your growth!

220. KenD29 says:

Way to go Habs. Halak got his game back after the first goal, and some good play by his team mates.

Have to love how this team seems to find a way to come and battle back! Never give up attitude is great to see!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

221. Jbird says:

Works real well in Haiti.

222. Bugs says:

Greece certainly seems to love it.

223. mark_13 says:

Don’t want to be too negative but I think without Markov and Spacek we’re not going to pull this off, we rely too much on the defensive side of the game and we’ve lost two cornerstones!  MAB is just a liability out there.  Can someone explain what the point of dressing Darche and not giving him a shift is all about, just to embarrass him?!  Don’t think we can keep winning with a short bench right from the off each night, just complete lack of depth I guess!

Sorry for the negativity, hope I’m proven completely wrong!

224. habs03 says:

I disagree, we have not been outplayed, I think last game was close, and if we scored early on things would be different.

225. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

no way we can get through 2 more rounds only using 3 lines. don’t think we can even get through this one without giving the top guys a bit of a rest. and i’m insulted for Darche. i didn’t really like JM before but this has just made me off the cliff. not even 1 lousy shift? and meanwhile darche rides the bike between periods waiting for his chance. no wonder sergei isn’t trying anymore… a guy like darche bends over backwards and still doesn’t get any ice-time.

226. habs03 says:

It really sucks, because tickets at the box office are not THAT expensive, during the regular season you can buy a pair of reds for about 100 each, good seats vs good teams, but from scalpers that comes out to 200-250 each,worst part is when buying the ticket it usually says the original prices on the corner and you realize how much extra you paid.

227. DavidKB says:

27 years ago tonight, Habs win 4-0 against Chicago; 4 nights later, win the cup in 6, their 18th, and first for Sotty.

228. Ton says:

no way man, al mcneil coached that team?

229. Psycho29 says:

Al McNeil was the coach in 1971 and Bowman’s first Cup was in 1973. It was more than 27 years ago…

230. TrueRivalry.com says:

I have been super impressed with Laps. He’s playing with the heart and hustle we saw last season. That line is our HEART line.

———–

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/truerivalry

231. emann_222 says:

Couldn’t agree more – Well played Maxime!

232. Ton says:

hats off the kid played great, he should have been the second star.  I hope it rubs off on some others. Can I ask what is wrong with ak, why has the skill gone, is it confidence etc.

233. adesbarats says:

LOL, I love it…

Really couldn’t have said it any better!

234. j2w4habs25 says:

I still think those many miscalls were just BS!

235. Shublips says:

What a comeback by the Habs!  Halak continues to be Halak, Lapierre has rediscovered his game and Gionta is carrying this team on his back.

Did you see the look in his eyes in the third?  He refused to lose that game because of the refs.  He was determined for the Habs to overcome the adversity and win, DESPITE the refs.

That guy is a true leader and is making all the difference in this post season:

So what happens next game?  Can that Habs keep the ball rolling?

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

236. sutchy27 says:

for don cherry to say the refs were 1 sided is saying something because we know he hates the HABS

237. HabsAlllllTheWay says:

Hey all,

First time poster here but its been a while i been reading the posts. I just couldnt take anymore of Buttmans BS that i decided to search his info online and found an email adress. Not sure if its actually his adress or someone that posted a fake but its worth giving it a shot cuz i personally cant take anymore of this BS reffing

gbettman@nhl.com

Maybe we can actually beat the best teams in the league and the refs too!! loll

GO HABS GO!!!

238. Mr.Habby says:

The worst officiating I’ve seen in years…Even CBC (which hates Habs) showed atleast 6-7 plays which they thought should have been penalties. So blatant….

ANyways Karma always has a way of working and thats why we won…

239. wd40 says:

Was just browsing through the Photos section from last night’s game.. check this one out:

talk about a mismatch in size!  also… scary looking shot of Gionta’s foot all twisted up…

240. ClaytonM says:

Man, you truly are clueless.  His no comment was the only thing he could say.  If he spoke his mind and called out the refs for being biased, what do you think would happen for the rest of the series?

Also, Gionta is half the guys’ size, and you call that boarding?  I thought hockey was a contact sport?

241. habsman-itoba says:

His comment spoke volumes.  There was nothing else he could say that wouldn’t get him fined or suspended.  I wonder if a player used a heavily sarcastic tone and praised the officiating, would he still get fined?

242. HabsalwaysCA says:

I saw this as an otherwise entertaining game where there where no good goals scored. There was a fluke ( off skates that got in the way at each end ) goal for each side and a very soft goal for each side ; then you could argue that Lapierres’s goal was hard work paying off, but lets face it, MAF should have had it.

The reffing was trending toward “let em play”, but in that vein, when 5-6 x 160 BG gives a little push in the back to a Pit. D man , should not have been called.

Cindy CB gets away with a couple, as usual. We should not get worked up, that will nevr change.

With two weaker perioda and then one strong one, we stole it, but we’ll take it, heads held high, , as we had no good bounces in game 3.

The morons on Versus are still, well, morons.

On to game 5. we need three strong periods and great goaltending !  Go Habs Go

243. A. Berke says:

Great win tonight, not only against the pens but the nhl, buttman and zebras too.

As pretty much everyone else already said, this was the worst officiating I ever saw. It is a disgrace to nhl and the effing zebras. However, I would put the blame on Habs management if someone does not file an official complaint with the league.

Yes hockey is now a business and nhl wants the pens rather than habs advancing but there should a limit to their hypocrisy and unjust/unfair treatment of Canadian teams. Enough already with this bullshit.

Go Habs Go! two down, two more to go.

Ali B.

244. WindsorHab-10 says:

Absolutely agree. What bothers me even more are the clowns on cbc and the likes that look the other way and don’t rip those officials apart. Our Habs are like Rodney Dangerfield. No Respect. I’d love nothing more than to srtick it to Cindy, Gary(Butt-man) and every friggin so called Canadian sports personality that hates Montreal, gives them no credit and makes excuses for Pittsburgh, just like the last series.

Hopefully the results will be the same.

245. Mill4ever says:

Take this, refs! This was a disgrace. Penguins would have had a dozen powerplays if it was the other way around. Pathetic NHL, pathetic Bettman. Can’t there be something done about it?

246. The Cat says:

Well Don Cherry mentioned it, so did Eliot Friedman in his interview with Gionta.

247. W35T5ID3 says:

Dont get me wrong…..I think we totally got shafted by the refs tonight….but maybe its just i’m a habs fan…..So is it cuz we are all habs fans ??Like the canucks too ???Their fans bitched in the LA series about the ref’n conspiracy …..Point is – is that any fan of any team are gonna say the their team was the one that got screwed…..BUT , no SERIOUSLY we DID get a F** job by the refs tonight ,no doubt about it.Any person with half of a working brain would see that.

But yet we still always triumph in victory ….leaving the refs  look like idiots.WOW it is definitly not called down the middle tonight.But hey …we won…and we’ll prove every 1 wrong.It is rather exciting as a fan of team to see,aint it?I think HONESTLY we have a legitamite shot at the cup this year and when’s the last time you have felt that way about the habs??Hmmm??I dunno but i love what i see with this club in Playoffs.

Plan the parade boys…..plan the parade.

248. nightmare_49 says:

…  Heat dump Bulldogs to tie series at 2-2 …..   by Garry McKay / spec.com

249. W35T5ID3 says:

Great mustache tonight Berkey…

250. W35T5ID3 says:

It must be a tough blow to the bulldogs not having PK Subban anchor the bulldog D.Thats what i think,Cuz the guy is gonna be a superstar soon……he’s there already.The potential in him is there.I dont feel that way about many hockey players…..but with him,u can tell….,,hes fun to watch too.I guess i just find his style of playing hockey so unique as compared to other players.Unique in that he’s gonna be frikkin awesome.Hes gonna provide some very exciting hockey for habs in future.Its great.

251. W35T5ID3 says:

…and hey if cherry mentions it-its gonna be right!Him in his bluish rosy flowery suit and all.For once he stuck up for the habs.

252. SeriousFan09 says:

Dogs aren’t done by a long shot, Boucher will rally his guys and grind out a series win. Abbotsford’s penalty trouble will put them out sooner or later. Habs have taken some of their prime talent but Boucher has most of the squad to their potential and if they lose, well it’s no big shame. We took their star on defence who was leading the team in points and three of their better forwards in Pyatt, Darche and Maxwell. They’ve been without the services of Max Pacioretty due to a shoulder injury, Yannick Weber has been day to day with an injury and Mathieu Carle, one of the other top defencemen had season-ending shoulder surgery.

So basically, Boucher’s running without the equivalent of 3 Top-4 D, two top-6 forwards and two depth forwards, yet he’s still got a 2-2 tie in a 2nd-round playoff series. Can he coach or what? I pray Montreal holds on to him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

253. The Cat says:

Thats a cool avatar!

254. DavidKB says:

There is no greater bias than that of a “fan”, Habs or otherwise. Gionta’s “No comment” when asked about the refs, is not only a show of class, but an admission of his own guilt in the boarding penalty he got. Only saw the third period, so can’t comment on other stuff.

I’ll be at a concert on Saturday night, and won’t get to see the game…Sh…t!

255. MontrealAtheist says:

Even the Toronto Sun is withus  on the reffing issue:

The Habs were screwed over big-time by the refs in the first period of what would become a stunning 3-2 victory over the Penguins.”

256. MontrealAtheist says:

The big clubs with the superstars usually get the more favorable reffing decisions … that’s how it works, not just in the NHL. It’s an uphill battle against both the opponent and the referees.

257. Mullie01 says:

Scary shot, but there is a Pitt player in behind. Gionta’s foot (thankfully) is behind Malkin’s.

258. MontrealAtheist says:

Plan the parade boys…..plan the parade.

The usual route?

259. W35T5ID3 says:

thankyou my name is saladfingers

260. W35T5ID3 says:

….preferably….yes…..

261. W35T5ID3 says:

spoons

262. W35T5ID3 says:

….preferably….yes…..

263. Habs Proud says:

How many times in this and the Washington series did the Habs get a slashing penalty for chopping the stick out of the other guys hands especially by breaking it, no problem probably a fair call, I would just like to know why the HELL it isn’t a penalty when it happens to us, how many times did it happen last night 2,3,4? at least twice for sure.

264. TomNickle says:

Umm…..is everyone just figuring out that our Habs are playing against a stacked deck?

Crosby slashes Josh Gorges in the foot at the conclusion of the second period in game 3….ok, no biggie.  But then he punches Roman Hamrlik in the back of the head and yet again, nothing.

Who screened Jaro Halak on that Malkin Power play goal again?  Yeah, Sydney.

Nothing worse or different than Ovechkin and the Capitals being able to do whatever they want on the ice without consequences.  It just seems to have been stepped up a notch because our Habs look much more dangerous in a second round series against the Pens at 2-2 than they did in a first round series against the Caps down 3-1.

265. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Don Cheery has chosen Josh Gorges for Habs NEW Captain. Gorges was a monster last night. The officating still cannot turn the table cause our Habs will not make that happen no matter what it takes to WIN. Pure determination, guts, heart and no quit in their ability to overcome all obstacles that stands in their way. Win or lose in this series has brought back the enthusiam at the Bell centre. The Fans has been the loudest I heard in a very long time. Keep er goin boys!!! Believe!!! Believe!!! Go Habs Go!!! Hi Like It!!!!

266. PORTOBEAN says:

Forget about his Olympic game heroics….Crosby is and always will be a b**ch.

SLB

267. Fansincebirth says:

That was European reffing at it’s lopsided best last night. Just talking about it around the coffee table this morning has my blood boiling again!

Screw you Cindy for being a whiney little bitch!

Screw you Gina for being the whiney little bitch’s bitch!

Screw you Refs for the most horrible display of reffing I have ever witnessed!

and a special….

SCREW YOU BUTTMAN just because!!!!

268. Bugs says:

When mixing the bloodcurse elixir with the bile of three white cats in a bone cauldron blessed by an ordained minister of the Dark Arts, do you use eye of newt or eye of gnat?

I always get those two mixed up.

Thanks.

Crosby’s goin down!

269. Jeff says:

Bugsy, you’re going to need a major elixir to remove the headache after tonite!

Throw in some humble pie, it will help.

Cuda, wuda, shuda, wah wah wah…..

270. 11habs11 says:

eye of sid, i’m pretty sure

271. punkster says:

Mix a batch of both. Always best to cover all your bases Wabbit.

272. habfab14120 says:

I made a deal w/ The Hockey Gods.  If the Habs won the Washington series, I would give up pop (soda to most of you, but it’s pop here in Bflo) until they were out.

Now, the deal is expanded.  If they get by Pittsburgh, the salty snacks go away.  No chips, pretzels, nuts, etc.

Don’t know yet what I’ll do for Round 3, but it’ll never make it to beer. :)

273. Habsone says:

Your too funny!!!!

274. Habscore says:

Sacrifice my friend!! For the team!!

What am I talking about, I said I would give up chocolate if we beat the Caps….  :\

– YES HABS CAN!! –

275. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

B-Lo! im in NF imall about the ”pop”

276. Merc_Roswell says:

The latest weight loss fad!

277. MontrealAtheist says:

And life-long abstinence if they win the Cup? :-)

278. 11habs11 says:

The habs would probably get 2 for holding the knife lol

279. jimmy shaker says:

Crosby for unsportsmanlike and Cooke for either tender interference or diving.  And I bet there will be a too many men on the ice penalty for some team tonight to boot!

Shaker

280. Storm Man says:

2 out of 3 penaltys look good, Crosby would have to stab a Habs player with a knife to get a penalty.

281. habs11s says:

MTL would get 2 for diving

___________________________________________________________________________

282. Fansincebirth says:

LOL….

2 for diving and an additional 2 for delay of game…

283. tony d says:

even then, the refs would have to prove that is was Sid’s knife.

284. slapshot777 says:

At least tonight the Habs rolled 4 lines, and this gave our top two lines a little break on them. This made us stronger in the third.

285. Olay Olay Olay says:

I think the Pyatt line was outplayed badly at times but I also like all 4 lines going.

286. Olay Olay Olay says:

You took the words right out of my mouth. You are a poet of few words my good man.

That I can agree with. Now would you like fries with that burger or which CD do you want again? ;-)

288. MontrealAtheist says:

I would add Bob Gainey to that list … Now that he’s gone the team can finally bounce back from years of poor management decisions and start kicking some $#! … Go Habs Go !!!

289. Rob says:

officially the dumbest comment of the night.  congratulations

290. emann_222 says:

Wow – OMG!!! That was both a happy victory as well as an abomination. #1 There are 60 minutes in a game … not 20 … Wake up boys and get in the game from the beginning. #2 Refs … I hope you have escorts to your cars in the parking lot – because you deserve the “Godfather” treatment after all your bullshit blindness tonight.

After all is Syd and done … ooops – I meant Said and done … we are victorious … and after STALL is said and done … ooops – another typo …  we remain … yours truly …

In the Hunt for the Stanley Cup ….

#25 – I BELIEVE

291. ArmyFan says:

@ Sambaguio

Dude, if you’re reading this — we had a discussion earlier today about Subban’s risky play.  You were critical, I kind of defended him.

Well, I’m eating some crow right now.  He scared the $hite out of me tonight, at least in the first 2 periods.  Hopefully he scared himself a little, too, and tones it down a little (but not too much).

292. dre1744 says:

I know what you mean  but Guys like Malkin and Crosby victimize  the best of them….  And I’m sure this will be a learning experiance for PK…..    You have to take the good with the bad!!!!!

293. pmaraw says:

about the gionta penalty.  if that is a penalty, than every hit the pens have thrown (okay, most of the hits) are boarding/hitting from behind.  I havent seen many of their hits where they didnt have there stick perpendicular to the numbers on the back of the habs jerseys.

the pens either hit in the back or weasel away from the contact.

294. FB says:

I guess Gionta was just supposed to let him just take the puck with no challenge.  Total BS

295. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

GO HABS GO! Great game.

Maxime Lapierre gave it his all. Way to go

296. Ton says:

in 40 years i have been watching hockey never have I see officiating like that. once come close; cdn womens team against us in salt lake.  i am pissed and proud at the same time.  give credit where its due, lapierre started it all, what hustle, i have been a critique but my hats go off to him tonight. still how does this stop, its so obvious that the leaque now looks bad. cbc was all over it. i didn’t watch rds, what did they say about the refing.

297. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

They didn’t really make bad comments about the reffing, but disagreed polietly with a couple of calls. They really let the sounds and images of the fans do the talking. What did CBC say?

298. slapshot777 says:

That’s more like it. A little to close for my liking in the last few minutes. The Pens got all the calls and the Habs got all the non calls. How many penalties did the Pens hae tonight that were blatant and yet not called, 7-10 penalties.

Even after all the calls the Pens got, they were still gripping to the ref for more.

Congrats Habs, hard work in the third got us a tied series.

299. 100HABS says:

I’m looking for a means to bombard the NHL with complaints about the officiating. In a very quick check, I have no phone number of e-mail, but there is this form on their site:

Also, they have a Facebook site where we can bitch:

Let’s make sure they know we’re angry. I want Bettman’s personal e-mail.

300. Big Ted says:

Even TSN is with us:

“But the festive atmosphere in the Bell Centre soured when Talbot tied it on a breakaway less than a minute later after Ruslan Fedotenko grabbed defenceman P.K. Subban‘s foot and brought him down at the Pittsburgh blue-line, giving Talbot a free path to the net.

After Hal Gill
    was called for holding, Kunitz scored a disputed goal on the power play
    as he fanned on a shot and then had it slide in off his skate. The goal
    stood up to video review.”

They actually described the game as it was.

301. ThirtyThree says:

Lots of praise to pass around. Like towards Maxim Lapierre. Here’s a guy who was a hair away from being history in this organization. And now he’s helping his team win playoff games. That’s how you do it!

302. dre1744 says:

Yup hes been playing some of his best hockey of his life.

303. dre1744 says:

I love the heart this team plays  with what a great push back!!!!!!!  there is no quit in these boys  you got to love it!!!!!!!

304. DavidKB says:

Absolutely. What a great way to end the day!

305. WindsorHab-10 says:

I know we can beat the Pens but the officials? That’s a tough one.

Both Pens goals SHOULD NOT have counted. Absolute BS. The league loses a marquee player in Ovechkin and they want to make sure Cindy stays. Even non-Habs fans think officiating favors Pittsburgh big time. I wish JM would get animated & let them have it once in a while. We won and that’s great but if it wasn’t foe the Zebras we would be up 3-1 no doubt about it.

306. Rainrocket16 says:

Crosby comes up behind Gill and trips him straight up and Gill almost take a puck to the head because of it. Let me take a face-off against Cry Baby..I promise he will be done for this season at the least! Times like this call for Chris Nilan.

307. Jru says:

A friend of mine from Toronto, who is a huge Maple Leafs fan is even cheering for the Habs now. It is so clear how the refs are favoring the pens and cindy cry-baby.

CROSBY SUCKS!!!!!

308. WindsorHab-10 says:

Pigging out on fast food & cheap beer.

309. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice audio clip with Subban talking about his relationship with Cammy, hope this means he’s Cammy’s roommate next season, young players should be residing with the veterans to ease them into this city.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

310. Stuck_in_To. says:

Wow. Kudos to Les Boys … but, HEY MOLSON! I realise the rules of the money game say you cannot call out Bettman and the league in public, but I sure as hell hope you go for their balls in the boardroom, club or wherever it is you do business.

Absolutely ridiculous.

311. Stuck_in_To. says:

Sorry, double post.

312. Jru says:

The worst reffed game ever.

Here it is:

1st Period:

16:37 Subban tripped no call

14:54 Crosby trips Hamrlik no call

14:42 Puck kicked in, best replay is the one after they go upstairs (RDS) shows clear kicking motion

5:42 Kostitsyn mauled no call

2nd period:

13:38 Malkin trips Kostitsyn no call

8:37 Orpik jumps into Plekanec no call

5:48 Subban tripped no call

3rd period:

18:45 Crosby slashing no call

15:33 Gionta crossed checked by Orpik no call

14:45 Questionable boarding call on Gionta

13:34 Moore cross checked by Gonchar no call

11:38 Gomez held by Leopold no call

11:11 Bullshit call on Darche tripping

2:31 Obstruction on Moen by Goligoski no call

313. ArmyFan says:

You forgot to add that both of those first two non-calls were directly responsible for goals.

314. Bugs says:

Ah, forget it. We won.

Next game, we get the calls.

How it works.

So, fuhgeddabowdit.

315. Derek2 says:

Third period –  who is 44 for the Pens? – He left his feet to hit one of our guys behind Fleury’s net.  No boarding.

Totally disgraceful reffing job

316. LizardKing1967 says:

Watch the league suspend Gio for the boarding. Adams gets 5 and a game on MAB and they do NOTHING.

Sick. I am gonna puke.

Jim-out.

I BELIEVE!

317. Thurston says:

Good God, was that a terribly officiated game. When the CBC starts showing all the non-calls, you know the referees suck.

318. dre1744 says:

yup there was about 8 non calls  they showed…..

319. Jru says:

Ya those are the first 2. Where Subban and Hamrlik were tripped.

320. ArmyFan says:

Yup – I got that.  I just meant that those 2 should have been HIGHLIGHTED or asterisked as they resulted in goals.

321. Jru says:

I also didn’t add the call at the end of the first period where Crosby’s stick broke. Ya he’s a whiny little bitch, but a broken stick is a penalty every time and you can’t blame the refs for that one…If it was a call for us, better late than never…

322. HabsTrueBlue says:

Interesting what the Pens fans are saying about the officiating. From a Pens forum:
    —————————————————————————————–
    Re: OFFICIAL GDT: PENS @ Canadiens 5/6/10
    by pens2005 on Thu May 06, 2010 9:46 pm

You can’t blame anybody but some terrible officiating in this one.

I’m sorry…when your team is skating circles around Montreal and they are hooking and holding and interference non-stop and NOTHING is called…you give momentum to a team and you don’t even know it.

the fans booed their way into non-calls against their team tonight.

You know, while the refs were just looking and looking for that call against the Pens to shut up the Canadien fans…they should have been paying attention to Hal Gill tackling guys, Subban tripping players, etc.

It’s hilarious to me how bad the refs were tonight…and the stupid ass Canadien fans were booing all night? Wake up, morons, your team was given a huge break AGAIN tonight.
    —————————————————————————————–

323. Rainrocket16 says:

Did Crysbaby write this post?

324. Derek2 says:

Unless Pleckanec’s stick gets broken – no call

325. Bill J says:

Possible “pens2005″

Wasn’t Crybaby drafted in 2005 ?

326. wd40 says:

I guess it just goes to show, perspective is everything.  That — and — Pens fans are idiots. lol.

327. dre1744 says:

Maxime Lapierre has been playing some of his best hockey of his life these last few games  WAY TOO GO!!!!!!

328. slapshot777 says:

Crap game from the officiating, these guys should be bounced from the rest of the playoffs for the job they did tonight. Just when you think you saw a bad game from the officials, there is another one worst that comes along.

Give kudos, to Halak and the guys for not giving up and fighting back. I just had to laugh at how Gionta gets ripped into by the ref for falling down after being crosschecked. Then gets nailed for 2 minutes for being a smurf taking in a big guy on the boards for boarding.

329. Bugs says:

Buuuuurn!

Ah, well, you’re used to it…

Oh, and don’t forget to keep living the only playoffs you get to witness vicariously through us, Jeffy.

All you’re good for.

Haw-haw!

330. dallyd31 says:

I am not much for a conspiracy theories, but with that many calls BLANTANTLY missed and ingored, you really, really have to wonder.

331. slapshot777 says:

I always had that seed of doubt and it is always tilted towards the American teams. Bettman doesn’t want any Canadian teams winning the cup. I only want one canadian team winning thecup and that the Canadiens.

332. Xtrahabsfan says:

Criesby’s getting SKUNKED ,yeah baby!

333. WindsorHab-10 says:

Is that what I think it is on Cindy’s face?

334. habs03 says:

Atta boy for Gionta for saying “no comment” when asked about the referring, don’t give them any juice, JM should mention something in his press conference.

335. Off-side says:

Does anyone know of a Facebook Fan page to join that suggests Bettman step down???

336. MontrealAtheist says:

There seem to be several … just search Facebook for “Fire Gary Bettman Movement”.

337. Ton says:

give them credit cbc was all over it. just now they asked gionta about the poor refing, gionta said “no comment”. lets not be hard on cbc especially cherry and in the guy in the booth not bob cole was all over it.

338. Max_a_million says:

They justified all the non-calls throughout.  But at the end they showed a montage of all of the non-calls, thank goodness for that.  Bob Cole was good, the other idiot had Pittsburgh pom-poms working

339. Marty says:

Franzen just lit up San Jose with a natural hat trick in less then 5 minutes then added his 4th of the night in a total of 6 minutes…

4 goals – 6 minutes – 1 guy

WOW

340. Fenrir767 says:

maybe I should watch that game instead

341. Marty says:

I like the challenge flag the board of governors and GM’s discussed this winter. Coach’s get a flag to toss to contest a call. They do a video review and if your right well your right. If your wrong, you lose your timeout or get a penalty.

Just like the NFL.

342. newbrunswick troy says:

Dear Jesus , even Cherry said WoW…problem is with ateam like the Pens thats got to be hard to battle back from……Here,s my ?  do the refs get briefed by there supervisor during the intermision…and if so whats he saying …Good work out there boys, just the way “Betty” wants it…..or is  it   “You God damn idiots,your gonna get each and every one of us fired”

Either way i now fear the refs come out and try to play “make up”  and i think thats just a shame to this great game!!!!!

that said  the whole playoffs  have been plagued with horible officiating..something the NHL have do work on!!!

343. duffy says:

THEY HAVE TO STOP USING HOUSE LEAGUE REFS.

344. 11habs11 says:

Apparently one of the Franzen goals went in off Bertuzzi, so it’s just a hattrick…too bad, coulda made history

345. homerbowen says:

We cannot sustain any pressure in the Pens end, yet the Pens can in our zone….WHY…because we are too small and weak. It looks like our forwards are worn out. Does Gomez really make $8M a year?? Geez what does Crosby make? Pens defense so much more mobile than ours. Sad but true.

Get bigger next year. Instead of chasing away an asset like SK we should be promoting him for a summer trade now we will probably loose him for nothing but isn’t that usually the Habs way?

346. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Orpik

347. habaholic68NJ says:

Sorry to brake this to you but it was 37 years ago

348. HNS says:

Pens can bring in Jesus Christ and it wouldn’t help. Habs in 7!!!!!! ……….if Jordan clipped his toenails properly he wouldn’t suffer from ingrown toenails

349. jimmy shaker says:

If Jesus cared about sports, which I don’t really think are a priority to him….he would do the business for whoever he played for. He’d mop the habs up in a second or the penguins, whoever he wanted to. I’m hoping somehow that he’s a habs fan, but ultimately we all need to be a Jesus fan first and a habs fan somewhere else down the line!

Shaker

350. Matthew says:

I’m too busy to do this myself but anyone in the Montreal area looking to make some money tonight should purchase as many pacifiers and they can, label them with #87 and sell them outside of the Bell Center before tonight’s game… If a pair of tickets is going for $1500 there is defiantly money to made

351. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

that’s gold!

352. Fansincebirth says:

You’d make a mint….

353. MontrealAtheist says:

Let’s hope the Habs can surprise everyone one more time and pull out a surprise win over the NHL dream team … Go Habs go !!!

354. Habby2CU says:

After the shenanigans of last game I’d expect a whole different dynamic for tonight’s match-up. Both teams will press more, there will be way more shots, more powerplays, and more goals. Should be exciting! If you’re at the Bell Centre tonight, you’re going to see a great game!

355. jimmy shaker says:

C’mon MAB, I think you’ve got 2 goals coming over MAF tonight on the PP.  Top shelf too, where Mr.Stubbs keeps his peanut butter.

Shaker

356. Storm Man says:

Are we going to get 2 power plays?

357. WAR72 says:

at least the habs dont start the period on the pk…

if i was told the habs would be going into game 4 down by only 1 frickin goal to the pens in the 2nd round after having taken down the caps in the 1st round, id be have been pretty darned happy…lets keep some perspective…this game and series is not out of grasp…cmon habs!!!!!!!!!!.

358. Ioanna says:

Wow! A period ended and the Refs did not give the Pens a powerplay. !!!

359. tricolore says:

Canadiens not getting enough shots on net. 9 shots in 2 periods? Can’t win games like that. These are the defending Cup champs. You need to outshoot them if you want any chance in winning. You need to manage at least 30 shots per game. That’s one of the main obstacles they are having. Have to give credit to the Pens superior team system play.

Hope was the last to die. Go Habs Go! Vive le tricolore!

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

360. Fenrir767 says:

Anyone watch the nuck game and see, the goal that was allowed when Dustin Buflin(or however you spell it) got pushed into the net. They seriously need to get some consistency to the reffing

361. habsman-itoba says:

That only makes sense in Buttman’s NHL.  They have officially been declared “Canada’s Team”, a kiss of death for any hope of unbiased refs.

362. habsman-itoba says:

Is there anything we, as fans, can do about this redonkulous reffing?  Seriously, is there anything at all?  I need more beer now to ease the pain.

363. Fenrir767 says:

drink whisky instead, find out where and when the refs leave the stadium and send them a message. I don’t know!