Round 2, Game 4: Canadiens battle back, tie series

Canadiens’ P.K. Subban battles with Penguins’ Sidney Crosby Thursday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Dominic Moore | Hal Gill | Mike Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Brian Gionta | Jaro Halak | P.K. Subban on his relationship with Cammalleri

• At a Glance: The Canadiens opened the scoring in Game 4 of their Eastern Conference semifinal agaisnt the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night. But they did little else for the first 40 minutes of the game, firing a grand total of 9 shots at Marc-André Fleury, who appeared weak on Tom Pyatt’s first-period goal that opened the scoring. The Penguins showed why they are the defending Stanley Cup champs, firing 25 pucks at Jaroslav Halak in the first two periods, beating him twice in the first period. Only a minute after Pyatt gave the Canadiens a 1-0 lead, Maxime Talbot was sent in on a breakaway and beat Halak between the legs. Less than two minutes after that, Chris Kunitz scored a power-play goal for a 2-1 Pittsburgh lead. After a goalless second period, Maxim Lapierre tied the game 2-2 when he surprised Fleury with a wraparound from behind the net 2:07 into the third period. About 90 seconds later, a shot by Brian Gionta went off the skate of Pittsburgh defenceman Kris Letang and eluded Fleury’s outstretched leg for a 3-2 Montreal lead.

• Key Moments: Holding on to a one-goal lead, the Canadiens were able to blank the Penguins on two power plays and Halak made several oustanding saves to preserve the lead.

• What It Means: The Canadiens won at home for only the second time this postseason and evened the series at 2-2.

• What’s Next: Game 5 will be played Saturday night in Pittsburgh and Game 6 is scheduled for Monday night at the Bell Centre. If a Game 7 is needed, it will be next Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.

1. Marty says:

Agreed, but if it’s “fixed” like everyone thinks it is, then he’ll surely get a penalty as soon as he opens his trap.

2. Ton says:

there’s ways to do it without taking penalities. scotty never did. i remember a game back in 76. calls were not going his way and he walked around the rink while the game was on the blasted scott morrison. referee in chief at that time. he never got a penalty.  JM has to get into it. man.

3. Newf_Habster says:

Dammit. It is actually Refs 2 Habs 1. I am so pissed off cuz there were very clearly two or thre penalties on Pens right before they scored PPG.

4. WAR72 says:

wether the habs kill this penalty or not there is still 40 mins to play…

the habs defencemen should try to carry the puck up more often, the passes are bein cut off…mab went coast to coast once and took a nice shot, PK has the ability to skate around guys, he should be given the green light to blaze around the ice…nothing left to lose, time to leave it all on the ice…

go habs!!

5. Fenrir767 says:

Yeah I know that’s a sweet move, I’ll have to use it next time I play and if the refs call me on it I’ll show them tape from this game.

6. Marty says:

Or he could push the refs to far and get an usportsman like conduct penalty. Just ask Laviolette.

7. 11habs11 says:

what a disgrace. seriously, how can they win with calls like these….impossible

8. habsman-itoba says:

My Sister-in-Law, who is a penguins fan, just called to appologise for having the refs on their payroll.  Seriously.  She did.

9. volcano62 says:

Is the whole fucking hockey world blind and/or stupid? The referees are bullshit and are clearly cheating. Is this for real? I mean WTF?

Pens, Refs and Bettman can all go to hell as far im concerned! Habs are still going to win no matter what.

10. Fenrir767 says:

Well I was thinking they it had changed after that goal that called back in Washington but after this crap I’m not so sure anymore. This is a bad joke, P.K Subban grabbed and tripped by letang it’s 1-1 after that, Gionta tripped and it’s 2-1, Kostitsyn hit like a wrestling move and no call. seriously WTF!!!

11. Ton says:

this is where an emotionally charged coach on the bench could change the ref’s future calls. get up and complain JM, call him to the bench. pens have silently  and politically complained that Gill crosses the line, their watching him. do the same on crosby, take a bench minor who cares but let it be know. pat burns and scotty were masters at it.

12. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

I didn’t realize you could just fall down, grab the skate of the opposing defender, pull him down and give your left winger a breakaway. Cool!

13. habsguy says:

it’s hard to when you spend most of the period killing phantom penalties

14. christophor says:

there are no words.

15. Ton says:

learn the game people please. how to your sustain presure if your short handed. its changes the momentum of a game especially with a talented team like them. please.

16. TPlow says:

I heard it too and he’s right. If Cherry was the coach, he’d rip the ref a new one. Does Martin even blink on the bench?

“Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

17. Fenrir767 says:

THis is a freaking joke, even Don Cherry said the second goal shouldn’t have counted because Gionta was tripped up. I have never seen anything like it. I was beginning to think reffing in the NHL was fair but come on. Anyone else think Montreal won’t even have one power play tonight.

18. TPlow says:

Memo to Hal Gill: STOP TAKING PENALTIES ALREADY! Much obliged.

19. habsman-itoba says:

Any more anti-conspiracy theory people out there?  This is Fudge’n nuts.

20. slapshot777 says:

I can’t believe what I just heard. Don Cherry taking the Habs side. Saying how the refs basically are giving the Pens all the breaks and giving it to the Habs. He said that trip by Crosby was a penalty, the hit on AK46 was a penalty and the Gill Penalty was late in being called. Like Cherry said Fair is Fair, which is not even close to happening in this series.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

21. WAR72 says:

still 2-1…

close score,habs can turn this around…

they sure could have used a pp on that clothesline non-call.

22. dallyd31 says:

What is going on out there with the refs is almost cheating.  I have never seen anything like it.  Two goals the direct result of missed calls.

When Don Cherry says it is bad…you know it is bad.

23. slapshot777 says:

Any chance we can try to get double digits in shots and stay there. We are not going to score many goals with 6-7 shots a period.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

24. habbyone says:

We’re toast!!!!

25. tricolore says:

Pouliot and AK46 are a waste of space and time.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

26. Marty says:

Well, I think I know what everyone is going to blog about all night long on this site…

27. tricolore says:

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

28. tricolore says:

After their own goal, how the heck did they become so undisciplined and sloppy? Halak doesn’t look right.

And the refs are favouring Pens with Penalty calls. 2 blatant penalties not called against them. A##holes.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

29. KC64 says:

We need to dig down and find some goals and keep on pestering Crosby and Malkin, and we need to stay out of the penalty box, especially guys like Gill, Gorges,Gionta,Gomez and Plekanec. We can win this thing.

Gotta Believe!!!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. dudurules says:

habs 4 pens 2… tight game… few penalties… pleks scores empty netter…

31. joe-hab-nuno says:

“our father, who are in bell center, hockey be thy name, thy will be done, the cup be won, on ice as well as in the stands… give us this day our hockey sticks and forgive us our penalties…. as we forgive those who cross-check against us. Lead us not into elimination and deliver us to victory.. In the name of the fans.. lord stanley. and the holy halak!!! AMEN!”

32. Kooch7800 says:

I agree that it would be nice to have Latts back playing the way he is now.  I am not sure Pouliot is going to be as good as Latts is now.  He has really fallen off.  He is still very young though and has good hands and speed.

Higgins had three season over 20 goals he had 23, 22 and 27 and now has really dropped off to a total of 8 goals this year.  That is a big drop.  Too bad i was always a higgins fan.

Hopefully PG can pull off a trade this summer but time will tell.  PG is going to have a busy off season.

I have to admit if Price gets traded I will be dissapointed

33. mark_13 says:

Sergei will go to the KHL, he’ll probably make good money there and maybe have some sucess just like Perezhogin did.  Andrei would be tough to trade cause of the salary, maybe Julien at Boston would take him on again!?

34. habs03 says:

I think S.Kost has the fire in him but it not always the good type of fire, when he is on his game he cares a lot more than his brother. And Mark, I think we could get a good return for both of them, both are young, we can reference the Latendress trade, 2 goals here, 26 in Mini, (sad, I’d love to have the Mini Lats).

Chris Higgins, I think after his 27 goal year people expected too much from him, he’s a really good 3rd line LW, I’d take him back for cheap.

35. Kooch7800 says:

Sk will never wear a habs uni ever again.  Too be honest he should have been gone after his little hissy fit not reporting to Hamilton earlier in the year.  Sergei is good but lacks it between the ears.  AK has all the tools but I think lacks the fire and intensity.

That is why seeing a player like PK in the line up with a ton of fire is a true breath of fresh air.  I say draft more North American players.  Gainey did a great job of it last year and now we need to finish it with the K brothers being shipped out.  I just don’t think we are going to get much for either of them.

On a completely seperate note,  How did Chris Higgins become so crap so fast?

36. mark_13 says:

I think Sergei’s mind is now elsewhere, KHL bound for sure, he’s as good as gone, and seeing how Andrei and him can’t operate when one or the other is in the doghouse he’ll probably be gone too, though good luck finding a taker with his salary!  Two really frustrating players, lots of talent but no drive or desire

37. habs03 says:

Also S.Kost was not at practice, either didn’t show up or maybe told not to come. GM PG said that if Boucher is offered a job Habs won’t hold him back, Boucher must know that he is going to be the next head coach of the Habs and that it’s just a matter of time, so its up to him to leave and coach now with someone else or become the next habs coach in a year or two.