Round 2, Game 3: Malkin awakens for Penguins

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak gets out of the way as teammates Brian Gionta and Hal Gill crash the net Tuesday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Hal Gill | Josh Gorges | Dan Bylsma | Jacques Martin | Sidney Crosby

Evgeni Malkin’s power-play goal 1:16 into the third period was the difference in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal between the Canadiens and Pittsburgh Penguins, who won 2-0 to grab a 2-1 lead in the series.

The Canadiens had a chance to tie the game late in the period, but Marc-André Fleury robbed Michael Cammalleri to protect his shutout.

Pascal Dupuis scored into an empty-net goal to seal the victory for Pittsburgh.

Game 4 of the series goes Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

It was a goalless but exciting first period between the Canadiens
and Piitsburgh Penguins in Game 3 of their Eastern Conference semifinal
on Tuesday night.

Montreal held the Penguins to only three shots on Jaroslav Halak, but they also fired only seven times on Marc-André Fleury.

The Canadiens also hit at least two posts, including one by Maxim Lapierre near the end of the first 20 minutes.

It was a different story in the second period, with the Penguins outshooting the Canadiens 13-3, but still unable to beat Halak.

1. KenD29 says:

Lucic will head to the net and stay there. Did not see Ovi do that and so far Crosby either.
    And Rask has played much better so far than either Volomav and Fleury.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

2. DraftBeer says:

Habs have eliminated the Pens, have they?

You’ve written your own obit.

3. SLONCOLD says:

well a sparin is a grade 1 tear kinda thing. draining fluid from the knee joint area is a health concern along with freezing it up, i know this is teh playoffs but being through 1 knee reconstruction, i wouldn’t want to see markov rush back and risk his health, not so much for his career but for his own quality of living kinda thing. more to life than just hockey sometimes

4. KenD29 says:

Skating, but not in full player’s gear.
    Guess he’s testing out how it feels before any further decision.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

5. habs4_25th says:

Hey Ed nice profile pic!!

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

6. mike g says:

I hope it’s just a sprain…usually you can resume skating and exercise 5 days later, following some freezing needles of course..

But that comes with being in the playoffs

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

7. SeriousFan09 says:

That would be about the most miraculous recovery from a tendon injury in the history of modern medicine, I’m calling it BS and gamesmanship by the Pens. They want the team to worry about Staal when he’ll have no more impact on the game than the Fan of the Game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. SLONCOLD says:

if he was done for the year why not just announce it?

ligament injuries in the knee don’t require mri for a diagnosis. Displacement of the tibia in either lateral or forward motion will show/determine the injury.

Fingers crossed maybe it’s a bone bruise with some meniscus damage. but even a deep bone bruise to the knee cap can sideline yu for weeks…

9. Bugs says:

Still Russian far as I know.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

10. Bugs says:

Something tells me you’ve heard of’m, mate.

Why else would you enquire about it?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

11. Jbird says:

Brilliant Mike – you called it.  I’m sure you feel great about this 😉  God Damn that guy is Iron Man

12. Bugs says:

We need some big bodybuilder types to dress up as smurfs, equip themselves with soda cans with the Pens effigy on’em, and CRUSH’EM with looks of unbridled rage on their faces.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

13. Jbird says:

WTF indeed –

14. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we play with Subban in Markov’s place (for now) – Pk could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that

Staal had MINOR corrective surgery on some tendons in the front of his foot / leg.

It was not related to his Achilles, as first reported.

I had heard that he would resume skating, and he’s day to day.

If we can slow down Crosby and Malkin, we probably have the right system to slow down Staal. :-)

I’m not worried.

15. Habscore says:

Aaahh..what the heck, alright. Let`s do this! 😀 lol

— YES HABS CAN!! —

16. Say Ash says:

Anybody seen fans dressed as smurfs at a game yet?

17. SlovakHab says:

Who’s Slovie? A new HI/O member I haven’t heard of?

B.Burke is building the Bruins through the draft.

18. Corio says:

Jordan Staal skating Team 990 reporting!  Not in equipment but skating!  wtf!

19. KenD29 says:

Being reported that Staal IS in fact skating on the Bell centre ice this morning! Not in equipment though.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

20. SlovakHab says:

That’s exactly the way the Capitals looked at us, and the Penguins might be right now.

Everything is possible.. Even getting throught Penguins in a 7-game series and then losing to Bruins or Flyers in the next round. It’s the playoffs. A different level of hockey.

21. mike g says:

Please tell me that is not a joke….somehow prove to me it is 100% correct and I’ll jump off my chair here at work!

And, I’ll buy you a bottle of whiskey, fcuk the beer lol…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

22. Bugs says:

Ovechkin weighs in on Habs in postseason. “I think in the regular season and in the playoffs, it was two different teams. You feel like, ‘Jesus what happened to these guys?”

Smurf Power, baby, that’s what happened.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

23. KenD29 says:

And Lucic is an even BIGGER speed bump so far in the playoffs!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

24. Sambaguio says:

My long time idol Roy said of my current idol Halak:

“The ultimate test was when he was pulled; he did not start Game 4 against Washington. Even me, to be honest with you, I’d be rattled,” explained Roy. “I don’t know if I could have bounced back for Game 5.”

“I’m very impressed the way he has dealt with the situation with Price, and he responded really well in Games 5, 6, and 7,” Roy said. “That is the part that impressed me the most. Yes, he won those games, but being able to come back and perform at the level is something you don’t see.”

——————————————
    Halak is beaming right now, “Look, Gainey, I’m the REAL number 1. Your so-called ‘thoroughbred’ is sitting on the bench.”

25. Habscore says:

Like I wrote below in another post

”If ever we eliminate the Pens, part of me would really  want them to do it in less than 7 games to save `some` energy for the next round, but at the same time, I would not want them to relax too much and lose their momentum through 3 or 4 days off. ”

— YES HABS CAN!! —

26. HabFanSince72 says:

It certainly sounds right.

27. Off-side says:

I’ve been positive all year while everyone complained.  I was positive when I really shouldn’t have been.  I believed.  For some reason, I believed.  And now?  Now, I’M scared!  Now YOU all believe and I think we’re going to loose to the Pens.  I’m scared and I really hate thinking this way.  Somebody, PLEASE help me!!!!

28. KenD29 says:

Bet you a beer Mario Lemieux is going to lace em up to replace Staal !!   LOL !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

29. Sambaguio says:

Boston is a big speed bump. That Rask guy is in the zone. I hope Philly wins. PLEASE!!

——————————————

30. KenD29 says:

Reported on TEAM990 that Staal will not be in any games this series!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

31. KenD29 says:

Reported that the knee was to swollen to make any conclusion. If that is in fact true, pretty good chance he is done for this year and will require surgery.

PK has done very well in his absence!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

32. Sambaguio says:

Hahaha.. im sure girls would dig that.

——————————————

33. lavie says:

I said Habs in 5 downstairs. We should finish it earlier to have a good rest, then smash those Bears (most likely).

34. mike g says:

Could be, but….

I’ll bet you a beer he will be back in this series…lol.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

35. namgel says:

Who ever wins this series is guaranteed a Finals Berth.

I don’t see Boston or Philly as more than a speed bump.

Coach Martin say’s one…..one little forward…two….two lit..

36. Habby2CU says:

I hope anyone who is going to tonight’s game has as great of an experience as I did for Game 6 vs. Caps: http://wingnight.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/home-ice-advantage/

This is why it’s so awesome to be a Habs fan! (and why the Pens will be completely out of their element!)

37. Jbird says:

Like a mascot.  Cool.  Hope you are right.

38. Jbird says:

Hoping for serious injuries is seems lame to me . . . . but I really hope you are wrong.

In the NFL correctly reporting all injuries is mandatory, in the NHL making stuff like this up is allowed and It would be a brilliant move by the Pens . . .  scary for us if Stall is back.

39. Sambaguio says:

Habs in 5 anyone? I predicted Habs in 6 but Habs in 5 is okay too. Do you believe?

——————————————

40. Corio says:

I read and heard from good sources that he did indeed have surgery to repair the tendon, so ya I call BS.  He traveled with the team because he is part of the team.. period.

41. mike g says:

That’s what I think happened..

The initial thaught was probably a torn tendon in his foot that required surgery. When they got to the hospital, maybe they saw that there was no inner damage, and that no surgery was required. Could have just been a deep cut…

That’s the only scenerio that would justify such a quick return. And it’s probably what happened.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

42. Xtrahabsfan says:

Go Habs GO!

43. ed lopaz says:

Francois Gagnon reported that HE HIMSELF WAS TOLD BY HABS PLAYERS IN THE ROOM, that Sergei absolutely does not care about the team.

Gagnon is a reporter who has covered NHL hockey for years.

He covers the Habs daily – every game home or away. He is at every practice.

Also does special feature “a la une” between first and second periods of every habs game (televised on RDS)

Gagnon was interviewed by AM 990 from 8;00 to 8:30 this morning – here in montreal.

44. mike g says:

Yah, but NBC should still rightfully decide when we play afternoon games with 1 1/2 days rest….

(sigh)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

45. Jbird says:

We are supposed to feel good today lavie.  Come on.

46. Habscore says:

LOLOL!! Like the ending.

— YES HABS CAN!! —

47. Jbird says:

. . . . or he never had surgery at all.   Good point.

Taken from this article.

…the six Canadian NHL teams account for about 35 percent of total league
    revenues.

49. Jbird says:

Unless Stall is superhuman, on lots of hybrid steroids or he received treatment from a magician and not a surgeon this is BS.   I’m with you, it’s a lame attempt to get JM to do something

50. mike g says:

Nope.

But I’ll guarantee you he’s not back for this series at least. It’s been 4 full days since he was hurt, and there is no diagnosis or an Andrei Markov on skates…

That’s not a positive sign. Sounds like ligaments, or in a timeframe vocabulary; see you next year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

51. thebonscott says:

if tampa were to buy out vinny lecav, they would have to pay him til 2030, if chicago were to buyout duncan keith, they would have to pay him til the year 2036 that is crazy

52. thebonscott says:

53. Habscore says:

— YES HABS CAN!! —

54. lord stanley 2010 says:

Lord stanley, lord stanley, here we come!

i can’t wait to see this city on fire! We can expect last wednesday’s celebrations x 2 if ever we beat these pitiful pens!!!

55. Bugs says:

Slovie posted this video yesterday. Worth a repeat. It’s a riff off the “Whaazaaaap” commercial but with “Halak”.

Very funny. The climax is to die for.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

56. mike g says:

It could be a tactic….Or maybe they lied about the injury all along, and he never got surgery.

Who knows, all I know is that when this BS starts being thrown around it means that Stall is coming back very soon. It may not be tonight, but it means that he will be back in this series….

And no matter what, that sucks for us. He was supposed to be out for the year. I don’t wish injuries upon anyone. But if an injury by chance happens to the opposition, I want it to last. Kind of the same way we always have to deal with Markov’s injuries. Other teams always benefit from our injuries, it would be nice to taste that a little bit..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

57. adam76 says:

Any word on Markov?

58. dudurules says:

Fromage

59. Corio says:

I think that is BS, the type of injury he had cannot be healed that quickly.  He had surgery on it.  This is most likely a tactic to force JM into making last minute adjustements to his lineup.

60. Habscore says:

Mehh! Spacek also made the trip to Pitts, didn`t he?

— YES HABS CAN!! —

61. Mad Habber says:

Yes he should fear the cookie cutter…

62. MontrealAtheist says:

Just imagine taking a 3-1 series lead after these two home games … How great would that be? Go Habs go !!!

63. lavie says:

The Kid’s feet will be shaking when seeing Subban. At least he tries to keep distance to Subban’s skate.

64. idle says:

I would like the Habs to win tonight.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

65. Ton says:

shut out for the habs one of the two games,  the other will be a overtime game. we will win one i hoping two.

66. mike g says:

Alright, I don’t want to ruin this beautiful day but…..

According to RDS, Jordan Stall made the trip to Montreal and chances are he will be back in the lineup tonight for the Pens.

Check it out for yourselves, it’s in RDS.CA’s main CH story.

TABARNACK!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

67. thebonscott says:

i love this team, can’t wait for tonight, also in the offseason we trade 2 kosts and price and buy out or trade hamrlik, and acquire too sizeable forwards, and play pk subban the whole frickin season and we get even better, maybe bobby g really knew what he was doin, go habs go

68. mike g says:

They really are the best

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. coachdoug says:

I used to think the Bud light guys had the best commercials…and they have some great ones…but the boys at Dos Equis are pure genius…The latest one when he comes out of the ice fishing hole with two fish in his longjohns is awesome…there is no end to it…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

70. mike g says:

Awsome stuff, lol…You can even use:

The “System” once had a staring contest with a mirror. After 4 days, the “System” won.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

71. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll drink 6 Dos Equis to that and a boilermaker to top it off!

Cheers!

Shaker

72. lavie says:

Jonathan Roy’s new album: Found My Way.

73. coachdoug says:

In the spirit of Dos Equis Commercials and at Dave’s request: A beer ode to the much maligned “System”for good luck..Cue the music…

“The World’s Most Interesting System”

If the “System” gave you directions, you would arrive 10 minutes early.

The “System” once had an awkward moment to see what it would feel like…

The “System” is left handed..and right handed

The “System’s” charisma can be seen from outer space

The “System” would show it’s feminine side…if it had one

the “System” was once found guilty, of being innocent.

When the “System” wakes up the roses smell him.

The “Systems” bear hugs are actually hugs it gives to bears.

The “System” lives life vicariously through itself.

The”System” once taught a dog how to bark…in Russian.

“My friends…the Habs don’t always score a lot of goals but when they win…it’s the “System”

Stay thirsty HIOers!

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

74. lavie says:

CTV Canada am. No. 33 said Habs would win the series.

75. dudurules says:

I honestly thought the Habs would be down two games going into tonight…. this team keeps surprising alot of people and i think this is their series to win… it’s so similar to the caps series it’s sick… crybaby and malkin suck nuts when they get all pissy… p.k. and gill and company are doing great at getting under their skin… just keep this up and they’ll win… i think what happens throughout the season is the habs play to the potential of their opponent… come playoffs, they play very well and show they are where they belong. having said that, GO  HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE TWO AT HOME…