Round 2, Game 1: Canadiens lose game, Markov

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov grimaces after being checked by Penguins’ Matt Cooke. Markov left the game with a knee injury. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Scott Gomez | Josh Gorges I and II | Tomas Plekanec | P.K. Subban | Hal Gill | Brian Gionta

The Canadiens lost the opening match of their Eastern Conference semifinal against the Penguins 6-3,  but of bigger significance is the loss of star defenceman Andrei Markov.

Markov was hurt when he fell oddly after a hit by Matt Cooke. Markov was helped off the ice, unable to put any weight on his right knee.

P.K. Subban opened the scoring for the Canadiens, his first career NHL goal. But the Penguins got two on the power play before the period was over. Sergei Gonchar and Jordan Staal got pucks past Jaroslav Halak.

Kris Letang and Craig Adams added second-period goals for the Penguins, while Michael Cammalleri scored for the Canadiens, who trail 4-2 after 40 minutes. Alex Goligowski and Brian Gionta traded goals in the third period, which saw the Carey Price replace Halak after the Penguins’ fifth goal. Bill Guerin scored into an empty net to cap the scoring.

Game 2 goes Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Pittsburgh, with Game 3 and 4 in Montreal next Tuesday and Thursday, respectively.

1. tricolore says:

Cole and Cherry are dying because the Laughs (Leafs) are not in the playoffs. They emit anti-Canadiens sentiment when they speak. Cherry more obvious of course. I do find Cole classier than Cherry. He is more PC. But when you hear the TSN boys, the CBC lads seem outdated.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

2. Say Ash says:

Ha! No kidding. Do women go euro-style during the playoffs?

3. dudurules says:

Haha…
    Hope that don’t jinx our habs

4. Willy the bum says:

Mine’s the opposite… I grew before and Habs lost all three, so when I shaved before Game 5 they won.

So every time I shaved before each game they won each game.

Right now, I didn’t have time yesterday, so I’m guessing a Habs loss tonight.

Sorry.

5. tricolore says:

Habs obvioulsy emotionally and physically drained from beating Washington. Most connaisseurs would not expect the Canadiens to win. I’d rest Halak for the next game And as long as we keep it respectable. I’d send Moen or Lapierre to kill Cooke. Seriously. Just like 70s style hockey.

As Sean Connery said in the Untouchables: They send one of yours to the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue.

Go Habs Go! Le Tricolore forever.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

6. HNS says:

I made my wife shave hers off…

7. KC64 says:

Gotta Believe!! GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!……….do you believe in miracles??????

8. Say Ash says:

Same here, dude. My wife and kid won’t come near me.

9. homerbowen says:

Agree, and he should take Cherry with him. You would actually think they have been drinking from some of the bone-head comments.

10. dudurules says:

Anyone else growing a playoff beard on here?  I’m feeling like Grizzly Adams over here.  GO HABS GO!

11. HFX-HabFan says:

FIVE WAYS WE CAN BEAT THE PENGUINS:

1- Our secondary scoring outscores theirs.  Chances our their top guns will outdo ours, so we need our muckers to come up big.  It’s a good sign that Laps, Moore, Moen (was he hurt at the end of last night?) and even Pyatt have been playing well.

2- Halak continues his hot stretch.  I fear he might need a rest mid-series as he did in round one, but he is clearly capable of stealing games, regardless of how powerful the opposition’s offense is.

3- In-game adjustments and matchups.  Identifying what forward lines and D pairings we want to set up against the Crosby line, Malkin line etc. early on will be key.  This comes down to coaching, and hopefully Martin will be able to make the necessary adjusments.

4- Stealing the series opener on the road.  Often the team that finished their series last wins game one despite being tired, namely because their intensity level is still high.  Obviously Pittsburgh has the experience of two straight playoff runs so they will be prepared, but if we come out flying early on and score early as we did often in Washington, it will take their crowd out of it and give us some momentum.  Sure, we took Game One against the Caps and then proceeded to drop three straight, but that opening win gave us the confidence that we could play with the Caps and set the tone for the rest of the series.  A win in Steeltown right off the bat would do the same.

5- Shut down the Penguins’ power play.  It would be nearly impossible to replicate the superhuman performance that our PK gave against the Caps’ high-octane PP unit.  The Penguins have almost as much firepower, though their second wave will not be as dangerous as Washington’s.  If we can hold them off when down a man, our chances improve significantly.

FIVE WAYS THE PENGUINS CAN BEAT US:

1- Malkin “wakes up”.  Pittsburgh is a different beast because they are built down the middle- their best players aren’t coming down one specific wing.  Crosby was obviously lights-out against Ottawa so we will key on him first, but the Staal line was effective as well.  If Malkin gets going, we will have a tough time because there will be three different lines with great distributors on each.  Our D will have to up their awareness levels.

2- Fleury gets better.  He was average at best in round one, yet the Penguins still won.  Fleury hails from Sorel, QC and will undoubtedly bring his best game against the Habs.  He’s not always flashy but the kid knows what it takes to win.  If he finds his groove, we might have a tough time.

3- Their D can actually shut down top forwards.  Washington was in rough shape on the back end, lacking a true shutdown guy: their closest to that classification would be Schultz and Morrisonn (that dude should have traded in his extra “N” for some offensive game).  The Penguins have Orpik, and Jay McKee is an excellent shot-blocker.  Gonchar’s defensive game is often overshadowed by his offense (similar to Markov).  Our smaller forwards will likely have a tougher time this round finding open ice; hopefully it won’t deter their willingness to play hard along the boards and in the corners.

4-  Forwards who back-check.  The Penguins have a lot of character guys, but their top guns are capable at both ends of the rink as well.  Crosby and Malkin aren’t ready to be mentioned in the same breath as Datsyuk as some of the best “all-around players”, but they are more defensively inclined than a couple of Russians named Alexander.  Don’t forget Crosby’s timely dive to save a puck from going over the goal line in the Ottawa series.  He has come a long way as a defender at the NHL level.  As a result, don’t expect as many odd-man rushes as we had in the Washington series.

5- The experience factor.  Yes, the Pens lost some of their key pieces of their Cup run(s) of the last two springs (one of them is now a huge asset in our dressing room), but the core of this team is intact and they know what it takes to win.  Two Game Seven wins on the road last year.  They won’t panic or fall apart the way the Caps did.  There are certain “intangibles” that you can’t overlook with this team.  They are focused, dedicated, and well-coached.  We will have a series on our hands.

12. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

Despite leading 3-1, the Pittsburgh crowd is silent! Weird…

13. WindsorHab-10 says:

Habs fan since 1975. Win or lose this series with the Pens, this is definitely one of the proudest moments I’ve ever experienced being a Habs fan,

14. MontrealAtheist says:

I bet this time you won’t see any Bob Gainey fans stepping forward and giving credit to Gainey for building this team.

15. ACF says:

Bob Cole should have retired long ago.   This is embarassing

16. Laramy87 says:

What happens tonight with Spacek back, does PK go back down or what?

17. WAR72 says:

lets get this party started right…et le buuut!

i believe that while it is game one for the pens, for the habs its game 8.

feel the momentum les boys…score first, shut down the crowd.

go habs go!

18. slapshot777 says:

The whole CBC crew should be put out to pasture. There is not one good commentator amongst them. Bob Cole calling a Montreal, when Pittsburgh was getting it. A gloved pass, he calls a high stick. Can he see the game or is he just guessing out there. CBC should have had Jim Hughson do the Habs and let Cole do the Canucks.

If you didn’t know any better, you would swear you were watching an American telecast.

19. MontrealAtheist says:

I just don’t get it … They know that Pittsburgh has a deadly PP and they still give up stupid “too many men” penalties.

20. ari says:

i am getting so f@#$$ing tired of andre k.

21. ACF says:

Argh…Is it true Chris Lee is one of the officials for tonight’s game? And apparently Bob Cole is calling the game for CBC….

22. MontrealAtheist says:

Let’s go after Sidney Crosby and kick some Coal Harbour b*tt !!!

23. slapshot777 says:

I agree, but on here logic doesn’t seem to exist. Many posters suggested the idea, that put Price in tonight and give Halak a rest and they were roasted for it. Seems like a good idea now. Halak has been fighting the puck all night. Now here we sit 2 goal down going into the third. If we lose , what do you do put Price in and hope we win game two and give Halak that rest he needed.

If we don’t then Halak won’t get a rest the rest of the series. So the idea to play Price tonight was the correct one, but no could see that for the Halak blinders. I love how Halak has played and I want him to continue to excel, but he too is human and will have bad games due to either just a bad game or mentally or physically tired. I think this game Halak is Physically tired.

He should have just been rested tonight, and got the green light for game two. If we won game one with Price, a bonus. Just the way a few of us saw it, going into tonight’s game. We no use crying over spilled milk now. GO HABS GO, let’s get a couple in the third and tie this thing up. Fleury doesn’t look all that solid either.

24. MontrealAtheist says:

Sorry for double post !

25. homerbowen says:

Small man (Gionta) knocked off puck by bigger opponent…..SCORE. Afraid this will happen often.

26. MontrealAtheist says:

Looks like the flood gates have been opened …

I say let’s pull Halak and bring in Price. Jaro will need a small break anyway during this series, so it might as well be now.

27. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

Ugh… 3-1…. this is turning ugly

28. sholi2000.com says:

Jersey- check

Beer- check

Hot Wings- check

Leaf fans x 4 – check (I think they come over in hopes of them losing)

Ok I’m ready.  I’ve worn my Price jersey every single game.

What are your game time traditions people?

These came in the mail today from Carey Price.

I sent them in June 2008

Custom cards 1-4

Custom cards 5-8

They Call Me Shane

29. BKAK72 says:

NO MARKOV??? NO MARKOV???

#*@?! — I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

30. habbyone says:

Mab replaces Markov?? We’re going to see real fast what this team is made of!! Pen’s out for blood. Every mistake we make is going to result in goals against us!!!

31. MontrealAtheist says:

While we are on the subject … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcsqWeTI_nY

:-)

32. habssince1909 says:

CBC is full of !@#$ I switched over to RDS.  Can’t take their babble.

33. slapshot777 says:

Just F**king great, Markov not returning tonight.

34. habssince1909 says:

Hope the injury to Markov is not serious.  What a way to start a new series…..

35. slapshot777 says:

CBC is loving that the Pens are beating the Habs.

36. habs11s says:

Watching the game on at home,  on my couch, wearing my SK74 jersey…. there are 4-1 when I do and are 0-3 when I watch the game elsewhere… coincidence? I think not

___________________________________________________________________________

37. strathabber says:

people come and go the habs are forever.

38. Le Jadester says:

Losing Markie is the opposite of cool.

Oh, man.

Habs, OLE !

39. habs11s says:

Yeah he’s done… he is the John Madden of the NHL

Glad to see the Crosby Cam is working tn

___________________________________________________________________________

40. Tariq says:

how come we dont have any news of our forward lines, in RDS website they say who are going to be in forward lines??????????????

41. MontrealAtheist says:

MAB, would you please kick some teeth out of this Sidney Crosby dude?

42. habbyone says:

DC is a moron. He’s refered to Halak as Havlat 3 times. What a putz!

43. Habs_Juve says:

I never shave!

MD

44. wotever says:

Unfortunately this team has played the goalies to failure rather than preemptively resting them this year. Glib coaching theories talk about coaching to fail versus coaching to failure. Unfortunately I don’t think the 3rd was enough rest.

ignore the troll.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

45. jimmy shaker says:

Jaro always comes back huge after getting pulled.  I don’t think we come back in this series if we go down 2 games to none.  No slagging on Carey, but I think Jaro has to go back in!  I don’t fault him at all on the goals, and I don’t believe JM will either.  So, his redemption comes in game 2.  Once Marky went down, we all knew it was going to be a long night.  If he can’t go, I’m not sure if this team can go!

SHaker

46. wotever says:

Heck fo a time to have to trust your gut, eh? I mean about goalies and not the bevy of course. ;-)

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

47. pmaraw says:

thats the spirit! halak needs a rest, its obvious

48. ari says:

you are mother fuck……..garbage.they shouldn’t let an asshole like u in here ,stupid………………..@#$%

49. pmaraw says:

im just saying they gave him a game off after being pulled vs washington, i figured they might do that again in this series.

50. jimmy shaker says:

I just see JM going back to him!

Shaker

51. pmaraw says:

F&^% the Crosby Broadcasting Company!!!!!

52. smiler2729 says:

I can see by reading the posts in here that the dumbazzes aren’t only at Boone’s game blog…

Where are all the sane, intelligent, classy Hab fans?

53. homerbowen says:

Has Halak’s bubble burst?

54. ari says:

this game should have been played on saturday night

55. slapshot777 says:

Your an idiot, for even making a comment like that. I suppose you want to blame Price for the 5 goals scored on Halak tonight. Watch the game first before making bonehead comments.

56. smiler2729 says:

You’re right.

57. WestHab says:

When was the last time marty b saw that many shots in 3 games…..maybe never

58. ari says:

mtl 0   garry bettman/nbc/pens 1

59. slapshot777 says:

Price should have started this game and Jaro could have got a full game rest rather than 8-9 minutes. The biggest problem for the Habs right now is not Halak, it’s Markov. We have gor to have him for major minutes. I hope he is okay.

Pens lost a key player tonight too.

60. Da Hema says:

I just hope someone on the Penguins makes a smartass for-the-record comment about Halak (e.g., his hands were shaking)….

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

61. slapshot777 says:

Biggest problem tonight was team was too tired. No way do the Hbs give the Pens 4 PPG. No way does Halak give up those goals like he did tonight. That 5th goal on Halak was so weak. After what we saw from Halak against Washington, that’s not a typical goal scored on him. He was just tired and nothing more.

The team will bounce back in game 2.

62. 23 HABS 23 says:

Shaker … I don’t know if they will back to Jaro in game 2.  I am not saying that the goals (or the loss for that matter) was his fault at all … I agree that it was a very short turn around for the Habs.  The whole team is fatigued.  But is 1 and a half days off enough for Halak to properly rest up?  We will have to see how JM is going to play this one … if Halak is still tired and does not perform in game 2 … I fear this series will end quickly.  And putting Price in game 3 will more than likely not stop the bleeding.  I hope Halak was having a nap in the locker room during the 3rd … he was nowhere to be seen in the 3rd (not in the goalie’s seat where Price was)  And he better not be injured!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

63. luca says:

you are  a complete idiot why come on hear and say stupid stuff

64. sholi2000.com says:

The Canadiens beat themselves tonight.  Next game will be different.

Kostitsyn is playing like he’s already on a plane to Belarus, he and his bro will be gone this summer.

Ok, no big deal, we proved that we can score on these guys.  Get them next game.

They Call Me Shane

65. Olay Olay Olay says:

What can you say, this team this team looked tired and unready to play a new system for a new team. I feel bad for Halak but I’m glad they pulled. Maybe even play Price next game, If he plays good…great if not, at least Halak will be well rested.

66. homerbowen says:

Halak dollar value going down

67. slapshot777 says:

I say that after seeing Ganey and PG watching tonight and seeing how AK46 is playing, no doubt he and SK74 will be moved for a more uiseful player. Hopefully someone with heart and desire to play. You can hae all the talent in the world, but if you don’t work at it you might as well give up and quit playing and get a job cleaning bathrooms.

68. Olay Olay Olay says:

I can’t even watch AK anymore I haven’t seen him make a good decision with the puck in ages. The 5th goal was completely his fault for that half ass dump that opened up the 2 line pass. I hope Martin is seeing this. I’m not sure what the solution is here but status quo is not it.

69. novahab says:

The difference is Washington is staright at you but the Pens moves the puck west to east and Halak played to deep in his net, Halak is to small to play deep and that was why he didn’t make any big saves. Halak played out of his mind against washington but to be honest I think Price is who we need in this series he bigger and can play a little deeper in the net. Bottom line the Habs out played the Pens and they were a tired team the difference is the power play. JM haves to change something up we are going to get penalties they have to stop them. JM play the hell out of PK Subban he was the best player on the ice and If Specek can go play him Sit MAB and play SK . Ill trade Markov for Staal because of PK we come out ahead.

70. Olay Olay Olay says:

I think you’ll see a more prepared Habs next game. I’m so pissed about this schedule.

71. dre1744 says:

All 4 goals have went in on Halaks glove side…. Maybe they have found his weakness!!!!!!!!!

72. ari says:

will spACEK  be ready for sunday?

73. Olay Olay Olay says:

wow, great insight. Care to explain?

74. sholi2000.com says:

Instead of insulting a person how about a rebuttal? Pft

They Call Me Shane

75. savethepuck says:

everyone talking about Halak tired is frustrating to me.  Maybe I’m seeing things differently than everyone ele.  I have said this more than once but I’ll say it again.  I think our team played great tonight. When our team starts slow and Jaro is busy early and makes a few big saves, he stands on his head.  If the team plays good and Jaro is not busy early, he doesn”t play well( games 2 and 3 vs Washington and tonight.) Shots on goal are not always the best barometer for how even the game is, but they were close up to the end of the 2nd. He didn’t play bad necessarilly, but did not make the big saves we need.  Am I a blind habs fan or does someone else see this too.

76. Mikey_39 says:

Not only are they at a disadvantage because they played a huge intense game two days ago, but then we lose markov, and AK was benched…which results in our tired players having to play even more.

I know Cock’s hit was legal, but i mean MArkov clearly got rid of the puck a few seconds before that… Besides we know he’s a freaking dirty player.  I wanted somewhat to take a stick to his face after that!

77. savethepuck says:

I’ve mentioned this before but, if Jaro gets alot of shots early and makes a few big saves, he has his A game and stands on his head.  If he is not busy early he doesn’t play well ( games 2 and 3 against Washington).  I’m not saying he is playing bad, but he’s not making the big saves we need, because I think the team is playing good.  Bad strategy to tell your team to come out slow and give up some early scoring opportunities and hope your goalie can stop them so he’ll have his A+ game

78. jimmy shaker says:

I know they did it last series, but this one just feels different for me. I knew JM would go with Carey the next game in the caps series, but for this series, I just think JM is going to stay with Jaro. Besides telling me to have a bevy, my gut is saying this about Jaro as well.

Shaker

79. pmaraw says:

I’m dense.

*there, i fixed it for you.  :D

80. ari says:

sit AK,bring maxwell

81. slapshot777 says:

We were a tired team tonight. The positive thing though is that with the team being tired the Pens didn’t completely dominate us. They have got to be thinking that they are going to see a better team from the Habs and they had 4 days rest to get ready, so They may be a little worried that if the Habs get their game together, they will have a difficult time.

Tonight if not for the 4 PPG, the Habs win this. Habs win 2-1.

82. arrow says:

Team looking tired tonite. I would put Price in for the 3rd and give Halak a well deserved rest. G-Men (Gorges/Gill) are also looking pretty tired. Moen, Lapierre, Moore and PK Subban seemed to have more energy, play them more often. I hope Markov returns next game or hopefully Spacek will be better. O’Byrne needs to step up his game along with AK (what’s up with him, does he need his brother?) SK is pretty good defensively, too bad he can’t replace MAB who is terrible on defence! Nice goal for PK and thanks Pleks for getting the souvenir puck.

I call #14 Pleks to score the next goal! I haven’t given up yet, but I have switched to RDS cause the announcers on CBC are boring and 1-sided.

GO HABS GO!

83. BKAK72 says:

A comment on the WASHINGTON CAPITALS:

- 24 games in the regular season are a joke!  (Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay and Atlanta)

- ZERO media pressure to win and perform nightly

- “gutless” attitude team as displayed by the whining and numerous excuses following the series loss

I have no doubt the HABS are a much better team.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

84. Willy the bum says:

Can’t bring Maxwell ’cause they have SK or Darche as healthy scratches.  It’s either one of them.

85. Olay Olay Olay says:

True, there were plenty of positives, we didn’t give up at least. Martin has got his hands full to put a new recipe together for saturday. It seems they were exploiting Gill a bit, may need to do some shuffling.

86. kempie says:

I get the feeling many people don’t get the magnitude of the Markov factor. And a quick-turnaround afternoon game. This might get fugly,

87. pmaraw says:

^^^  this is a troll, dont feed it, it will grow.  ^^^

88. TPlow says:

STOP GIVING THEM FRICKIN’ POWERPLAYS! Thank you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ “Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!’” — King’s X

89. Mikey_39 says:

He didn’t look solid like he has in the last couple of games tho.  You could c it from the beginning.  An the last goal they scored on him he should have had.  He made a bad ummm ”déplacement”.

But what do you expect when you get bombarded in the Capitals series, and have no rest.  I think he’s going to rob the Penguins next game.  Hopefully Spacek can play tho, cuz bergeron does not belong on defense

90. BKAK72 says:

If HABS fans don’t understand the magnitude it’s b/c they haven’t followed this team for the last 7 years.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Leads the D, stabilizes OB on the back end and just simply absorbs minutes. Even when he wasn’t generating points in these playoffs he was a steady man on the back end when he didn’t have to prop up MAB and his acting gig as a defencemen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

92. ari says:

maxwell too,he is with team

93. homerbowen says:

OK we beat the Caps and we all know we were lucky to do that as man for man we don’t match up to either team.

Start thinking about next year and sizing up. Move at least two of our smaller (under 5’10″) players. Also, move Halak if big return for him.

JM must go that line change cost us a goal.

94. DONJUAN says:

I had a sick feeling the rest of the game, Huge loss if Markie is out.

In HABS we trust.

95. Willy the bum says:

I know, not at least two days off between.

96. slapshot777 says:

I’m a fan of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey team, no one player. But to say Halak was not the fault of any of the goals is wrong. Halak was tired and it showed. He was slow in his reaction times. that 5th goal he should of had along the ice and he misss it with his glove. Then the next save he makes he plays it kinda sideways.

I always want both goalies to do well no matter who plays. This crap of sh*tting on either goalie is childish. A true Habs fan wants the team to win. It’s not a popularity contest. Both goalies are good. If Price was to start next game and win and JM left him in, would you want to put in Halak just for the sake of him playing. Even if it meant the Habs losing, just Hypothically.

I want the Habs to win, it doesn’t matter who plays in net,even if it Desjardins.

97. HABSsince92 says:

Gary Bettman has completeyly ruined the NHL from where it was when I was a kid. I dispise him more than the Leafs for what he has done to the greatest sport in the world.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

98. homerbowen says:

Tired!!!! When Brodeur was younger he played many more games and was not tired.

99. wotever says:

It’s not about Halak, it’s about the team, and the goalie that wins. You know what they said about Price?

But seriously, I thought they should have taken Halak out earlier – not to give Price a chance, although at worst i believe he would have good enough, but to give Halak a proper chance to get it together. Halak has ranged between awesome and terrible and what made the difference was Price coming in. Price isn’t as bad as you think and Halak isn’t as consistent as you think. And that’s okay. They are both young goalies. (Price isn’t as consistent as halak neither)

Whether this was a challenge or a rest that was the restorative for Halak none if us are qualified to say. But it worked, and it should have been recognized earlier, more aggressively. Halak hid again but I don’t know if ht paltry time in game one will be enough to actually get him back in the place he will need to be. Especially if Markov IS gone.

The team played well enough considering the tiredness and the gear change required of them.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

hio sucks on an iPad

100. smiler2729 says:

He’s a Leaf troll.

101. pmaraw says:

pffft… brodeur had scott stevens and neidermayer! he faced like 25 shots a game, not 130+ in 3 games. brodeur is also the breaker of roy records.

102. slapshot777 says:

Give it a rest Troll. You only comment here when the Habs lose. You are here only to stir sh^t. It people like you who always got his head up his arse.

103. pmaraw says:

play price, game 2, get spatch back, game 3, we’ll be fine!

note:  our plus minus looks great!

104. wotever says:

Okay now I know you’re a troll. Best joke i heard all day.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

105. jimmy shaker says:

Look at the weasel smiling large…..Bettman what a puke of a human being.  Thanks for the great schedule!  Deflection goal, 2 screens and 2 cross ice goals.  Not Jaro’s fault, and not the boys fault either.  They’ve got no gas in the tanks, and I was very much afraid of that happening.  Even Jaro looked tired, good call on JM getting Carey in there, because Jaro is going to have to steal Sunday afternoon’s game in a big way baby!  Because if he doesn’t this might be a very quick series.  The boys have to get there legs somehow for sunday.  Hope Marky can come back but it does not look good!  Hope Bettman and the scheduling department have diarrhea for a month.

MULLIGAN!

Shaker

106. pmaraw says:

you think they’re going with halak sunday?  im not so sure

107. wotever says:

He stuttered with the puck early and didn’t get a chance to get into the game. I don’t blame halak but I’m sure he would be the first to describe the difference between game 6 and 7 and this game 1. And I think the rest of the team would tell a similar story.

Halak has shown that he needs rest, and seriously it’s hard to rest him in the playoffs.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

108. HalGillsNumberOneFan says:

Price is garbage, Hope they don’t play him next game.

Surprised they put him in tonight, however maybe its just to wake up halak…

109. 123456 says:

no pics = lies!!!

sorry i picked that up from a different crowd and don’t mean to offend – just though it was funny.

secret mod

110. wall2bay says:

Dude…..the Esso gas station?!?! SWEET!!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

111. habsguy says:

LOL…how can you argue with what Crosby said,  they got 4 power play goals on us,  seems pretty claer to me,  they executed !!!!!

112. HotHabs says:

The TSN moron writers are at it again!  Now that the Habs have lost one in their last 4 playoff games, they were apparently “routed” (even though it was a 2 goal game + empty net and Mtl outscored Pitt 5-on-5) and don’t have much chance… again!!!

All the Hab-haters were out in full force on the TSN comment section, too.  Funny how they have little to say when Mtl beats the President’s Trophy winners, but are Hab thrashing at first chance!  Idiots and likely all Leafs fans – your team is golfing so you need to bitch about hockey somehow!!!

Crosby’s a moron saying about their PP success vs. the Caps inability to score on PP: “we executed — that’s the difference”.  What, Sid?  You saying Wash didn’t get shots on net or through traffic?  Seriously, go back to your mommy’s tit, or better yet use Mario’s.

Habs were spent, tired, and emotionally drained.  It showed.  To top that off, they have 1.5 days to rest before game 2 on the road.  And, furthermore, they don’t have Markov for who knows how long.  Thank goodness Subban is playing like he belongs.

If Mtl can make this a series, they are superhuman.  And huge congrats to them for getting this far already.  If the Pens win the series, they should count themselves fortunate that Mtl played to 7 gut-wrenching games in the first series, had barely 2 days off before meeting them, and lost their Norris Candidate defenseman.

See you all Sunday…

113. Rainrocket16 says:

Cheers to your 3rd paragraph!

114. WindsorHab-10 says:

Aaron Ward an anylist on TSN?

Where do they find these clowns?

115. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

honestly if I were Martin just to give Jaro a break I’d start Price in game 2 just to give Jaro that extra rest, because so far from what I’ve noticed everytime Jaro goes in net after a Price loss (which is unforunate for Price) but then he goes 3-0 LOL Funny yes but realistically we could only go “down” by 2 instead of 3-1 for Jaro’s superstreak to reactivate

116. wotever says:

First you say they are all idiots, then you say it’ll be a superhuman effort if we make it.  Sounds to me like you’re agreeing with them, but, y’know, the jingoistic (and offensive) way.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

117. deuce6 says:

Halak was average tonight..Very beatable..I don’t care what CBC commentators say, he was being screened in a lot of their shots against the Caps..His reaction and ability to pick up the puck was what made him stop almost everything..He looked really deflated and gassed out there..His reads were off and he looked tired between the ears..

Let’s face it, up until the 3rd period, the guy faced close to 150+ shots in 11 periods of hockey..lol

No human being can sustain a sharp mind after that kind of fatigue…I think Price should start game 2 simply becuase he is fresh..We need to keep Halak sharp and rested..If this is the way, then so be it..

But, Halak was not the only problem tonight..Our defense was god awful..Nobody seemed to back check and want it bad enough..It’s as though we are saying to ourselves, “Oh well, at least we beat out the Caps.” Screw that, we have won nothing, yet..

Guys like AK and Pouliot have to start contributing..If they don’t want to, then get Darche back in there..At least he will bring a little bit of an edge…

————– BRING THE JETS BACK TO WINNIPEG!!

118. habsguy says:

I was referring to someone elses post,  if you read what I said and looked UP,  you would notice everything I said was directed to HIS post,  damn some people cam really #$% me off!!!!!

119. Habitant in Surrey says:

Just Warmin’ Up

……but EVERY Hab Fan should visit The Oratory
    tomorrow …and kneel on EVERY Step and Pray …like No Tomorrow …that
    Marky will play on Sunday

…Gee, I wish I was in the Hyperbaric
    Chamber business

…GO HABS !!! …go ! …ehhh ????

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

120. DavidKB says:

Smart players know when to take a hit, when to hit back, and when to duck. Markov made the wrong choice. Cooke had all the momentum, and the smartest thing for Markov to do would have been to try and avoid the hit. Easy to say when you’re sitting on the couch, though.

121. jimmy shaker says:

Everyone into the hyperbaric chambers until 10am sunday morning.  That should help the legs out, and the mellons on top of the shoulders as well.

SHaker

122. Le Jadester says:

Certainly doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that AK 46 is disinterested. There is no reason other than SK 74 being benched that has impacted his performance levels.  This is a problem that needs to be addressed and solved for the future of the team going forward in the short term and medium for that matter.

It is going to require both parties to come to terms, regardless. I believe many are to blame for this…….I don’t know who or why, but the fact of the matter is this………they are talented Hockey players that can contribute positively overall to any NHL Hockey team in the playoffs, including ours, but they are not because of ????

So trade them ? Are we going to get equal return on the open market for them as a package or separate ?

What is best for the team going forward is a major concern, especially in terms of competitiveness in the playoffs…….not the individual agenda’s of either players(AK/SK) or coaching(JM/PP).

This issue is exposing our team’s depth IMO.

Habs, OLE !

123. Mad Habber says:

Healy is my all time most detestable the worst part about that jerk is we have to listen to him all game long. (I wonder if some team could hire him as a backup, that way he could sit in the same spot and we won’t have to listen to him) followed by Mike Milbury, then Bob Cole…

I love how Cole pronounces names, lol, Come-alleri…

124. jimmy shaker says:

Good hit, unfortunate outcome…..if the refs wanted to get chincy, they could of called charging, as Cooke took about 5 or 6 strides before he got to Marky, or interference as Marky had gotten rid of the puck for a wee bit before Cooke hit him.

SHaker

125. dallyd31 says:

Halak was off and you could see it ( or at least I could) from the very first shot they had on net.  He was just “off” and his head was not in it.

Everyone  thought I was nuts, but I said to play Price tonight, not because I think he is the better goalie right now, but because its seems, like clockwork, that Halak tires and needs a break very 3-4 games to stay sharp.

Maybe go with Price game two to rest Halak, and regardless of how he plays, back to Halak for game 3.

What was nice though was thet the Habs outshot the Pens and limited them to a megre 24 shots.

126. Mad Habber says:

They will as long as Jerkie Burkie is a GM..

127. WestHab says:

While the loss of the great one is very hard it allowed us to see the next star of the D. Pk played a lot more in this game. I thought he was one of the best for the tri-colour. There is lots of passion and energy there. Despite the out come of this series this is an important point in history for this club. Even one with 101 years. behiond “us”. Pk is the franchise player for the next while. I’m glad he is getting the NHL playoff experince, it will be a great investment in the success over the next few years.

128. TPlow says:

Can’t take penalties. Can’t take penalties. Can’t take penalties. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

129. Bob Barker says:

Positives:  Subban, Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta, Jordan Staal is hurt.

Negatives: Markov is on crutches, Halak was tired.

First, Halak deserves a ton of credit for his play in the Washington series but to say he had no chance on some of the goals tonight is just plain wrong. He looked tired, he was deep in his net and slow to read the play.

Hopefully he’s ready for Sunday or maybe he should sit a game and hopefully come back as Super Halak again.

Seriously though, I doubt the Pens will get 4 ppg a game. Halak would usually make some of those saves.

130. dre1744 says:

yup PK played 19:40  scored a goal  and was 0 plus/minus  not bad for your third playoff game.

131. dre1744 says:

yup  I’m not to hopefull on markovs  injury  it probably an acl or something.   I think the habs should trade Markov  cause the guy is injury prone.

132. pmaraw says:

remember what happened last time we lost 6-3?

133. habfan1969 says:

personally I think Markov has always been mediocre in the playoffs. Mark my words, if Spacek can make it back without too much rust and PK keeps it up, we won’t notice Markov’s absence that much. He’s by far more of an offensive D than defensive D and at this point it’s the defensive D we need most to stay in the series.

134. smiler2729 says:

Markov is the new Malakhov. Let’s trade him ASAP

135. Bugs says:

Few things:

First off, these Penguin sunsabastiches have a hell of a team. Not hard to see why they’re the champs.

Of their 6 goals, only one was at even strength. Had we shut that down, we woulda won (sorta).

We learned that we can score on these guys, that we can trap these guys, and that we can hit these guys.

Halak didn’t let in a bad goal per se, he just let in a lot. Burnt? I don’t know. Gamble and put the Priceberg in next game to rest him up? I don’t know.

All I know is that losing Markov when he’s finally been playin some real playoff hockey is a terrible blow and hopefully, Soobie can fill in cuz he looks dang good.

Collect ourselves. Put it behind us. Rest up. Find zen.

And retaliate with authority.

Yo.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

136. ThirtyThree says:

HALAK always bounces back strong and he will again. As for Markov, let us pray.

The biggest concern is more… intangible. And that is there’s way too much respect for the Penguins. From the HABS to the fans. It’s unspoken but it’s there. Yes, they have a lot of Quebec born players. Yes, their owner is a hockey god. And yes, they have the great Sidney Crosby who anyone would be hard pressed not to admire.

But the HABS need to find a way to get their hate on for this team fast. Sunday, they have to target Crosby and hit him every chance they get. Maxim needs to get under their skin. He can be they key to winning this thing.

137. Rainrocket16 says:

I do beleive we have are hands full with the Flightless Birds! They are tough to get chances against. Halak needs a rest folks, I guess we were all too dependent of him and didn’t realize he is in need of rest.. Not sure what we need to do to figure this bunch out but it will have to start with Physical Play, we cannot let them own that crease!! Cannot! We also must stay out of the Box!! I do not agree with a few calls tonight but we gave them most of them. They have a deadly PP!

I am the alone in thinking that Cooke’s hit on Markov was just a little bit of a boarding penalty? Cooke is a POS dirty player who should not even be able to play the rest of the season for what he did to Savard!, yet he was unpunished!

…….ZEN!!!

138. mike g says:

I ALREADY MISS TSN…..

Seriously, I wash very harsh on TSN for the past few years. I thaught they were too pro-Toronto (they are at times), but tonight we realized who is the best at commentating/broadcasting hockey. Hands down, TSN…

Say what you want about the whole, “Yeah, but it’s Hockey Night In Canada”. It’s terrible, it WAS Hockey Night In Canada. Bob Cole sounded like he was broadcasting a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game. Glenn Healy, well now we know why TSN threw you in the garbage, you are just terrible. When the score was 3-1, you pop out a clip showing how the Pens were so much more energized coming onto this ice in the pregame, and how that showed which team was ready and would win. Well you douchebag, we scored 1st and had control for the 1st 10 minutes. So much for your great analysis about which team was ready….

I thaught I’d never say this, but Pierre McGuire, Gord Miller, and the whole TSN crew know how to do it properly. CBC is garbage, worth as much as a pair of Leafs tickets vs the Hamilton Bulldogs. I’m really, really sad “Canada’s Boring Channel” will be broacasting the whole series…

Guess I’ll just have to switch back to Benoit Brunet…..”OYOYOYOYYYY”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

139. light_n_tasty says:

Scratch AK and dress SK?

140. Rainrocket16 says:

yes, we must start hitting..Start with Cooke before he gets under our skin! Crosby and Old man Guerin need to taste some boards!

141. SeriousFan09 says:

Well if it’s so obvious to you than surely the GMs across the NHL know it as well, why would they want him then?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

142. gK_HabsFan says:

It’s alright guys!  We’ll come back with a better effort on sunday.

But WOOW!!

Subban is one hell of a good player.  great vision!!  And his defensive abilities don’t actually worry me too much!

IMO he was our best player tonight.  Can’t wait to see this guy in a full NHL season!

-GK-

143. gK_HabsFan says:

yeah, but he was on the ice when the pens scored the empty netter.-GK-

144. Off-side says:

I’m worried.  I’m worried because we have a tired team that needs to keep playing with only a 48-hour break.  Not even!  They play at 2pm on Sunday so that’s less than two days!  They’re bodies are hurting, their heads are still spinning from Washington.

How do you get the guys to move forward, seriously?  What psychology do you use?

145. pmaraw says:

i’m sure they’re over washington after that reality check

146. kordic says:

Could use BGL now!! We are too damn small. Bob was thinking about Snow White and the seven dwarfs when he put this team together. Mab Is dopey, foresure.

I LOVE the Habs!!!

147. SeriousFan09 says:

*spits out drink laughing*

The concept that Laraque would have an impact in the playoffs for us… Oh man that’ll have me laughing well in to next week.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

148. kordic says:

How about, YOUR A FRIGIN MILLIONAIRE!! GET YOUR WORK SKATES ON AND GET OUT THERE AND PLAY HARD!

This team has over achieved already, leave them alone. The Stanley Cup was already won.

I LOVE the Habs!!!

149. kordic says:

You might laugh even more when that little rat cooke takes out Camm or Gionta. Keep laughing.

I LOVE the Habs!!!

150. anotherhab says:

Agree that PK was our best player tonite — I also thought Moore was very good.

I find myself yelling at AK — he’s been useless the last # of games. Also Pleks has to step it up if he expects a big contract from us.

And like other posters I sure miss TSN – Gord and Pierre actually make the games enjoable!!! The intermissions are to look forward to with great insight!  My 15 year daughter said at the start of the game who’s that calling the game he sounds dead. CBC just seems to bring on the losers – Glen Healy, Milbury and my all time most detested PJ Stock.

Anyway we have to pick it up next game and stay out of the box!  We can beat these guys!!

“Size Matters Not” Yoda

151. kordic says:

Scratch them both and bring up a kid that wants to be a Hab.

I LOVE the Habs!!!

152. ooder says:

and the big ol George Laraque will run towards Cooke, ask for a permission slip signed by Cooke’s mom that allows him to fight, and then proceed to kick his ass right?

if anything a guy like Paul Mara woulda been usefull

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

153. showey47 says:

bgl would not have done anything other then say “wanna go?” then when cooke says “no thanks” that’s where it ends. He lives by this mystery code which does’t allow him to fight anyone other then heavy weights and that’s only if they agree to it. Funny part is,i don’t see many of his heavy weight counterpars following the same code.

154. ooder says:

which is why guys like Colton Orr are still playing hockey (well golfing but i digress) and BGL joined the green party and eating carrots

——————

155. WindsorHab-10 says:

The game & the result was what I expected tonight considering we just came out of a tough 7 game series. The team was tired, spent & it showed. Markov being helped out is a tough loss, but we need to pull together. Hopefully the news will be good tomorrow. Cannot afford penalties against the Pens.

I’m sure we’ll play a better & smarter game on Sunday.

156. WindsorHab-10 says:

The schedule maker sucks. How can they justify the Habs starting tonight while the Bruins/Flyers are off until Saturday. Would have made more sense having it the other way around.

157. Dintrox says:

I thought Bob Cole was bad then I heard Galley. NBC carries Sunday’s game not sure who is on their crew.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

158. SeriousFan09 says:

The only person scared of BGL is Gauthier since he’s got pay him to do the same thing off the ice that he did on the ice in the buy-out. Laraque played his last game in the NHL as a Hab, no one’s going to take an enforcer who doesn’t fight.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

159. habsguy says:

PK was very good,  AK is pretty well useless….but I can’t agree on Pierre,  tha man is down right sickening!!!…I mute him all the time!….BTW you are the first person I have ever heard who like him !!!

160. habsguy says:

it was quite funny!!!!…to think the BGL would stick up for us….LOLOLOL

161. habsguy says:

I agree to scratch AK,  and maybe give SK one shot,  if not call someone up

162. habsguy says:

everyone except pierre the mouth!!!!!

163. Dintrox says:

Pick ourselves up dust ourselves off. I expected the Pens to take the first game. Martin, Muller etc. need to work out a plan for the PK and we need to play disciplined hockey.

164. habs fan from stonyplain says:

actually dress both ak and sk maybe that will bring ak from the dead, play them with pleks and put cammy with gio and gomer.

165. Rainrocket16 says:

NBC has a decent crew but expect them continue to Felaysh the penguins as they do every game..Pathetic really! I hate the Pens more than any team! I like the Leafs and Bruins so much better!

166. HabFanSince72 says:

Colton Orrs of the league have no future any way.

167. HabFanSince72 says:

it’s not our game. We should be thankful they even allow Canadian teams in the league.

168. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

BGL? lol like Bob said…”I don’t know what code? You live by but you’ve got to do your job” Which he didn’t hence him being realesed….MAB, Pouliot, and AK46 are useless but we’ve got to hope the TEAM can pull it together

169. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

Like I said uptop…Martin should definatly start Price…let Jaro get some extra rest…and Jaro’s record after a Price loss (which is unfornate for Price) he goes 3-0, so why not potentially go down 2-0 in the seriest and let Jaro go on his superstreak instead of being in another 3-1 situation…either way with any of our 2 goalies in net we have a good chance of winning (well maybe a little more with Jaro nowadays…it’s just Price has no luck right now or any bounces going his way

170. MontrealAtheist says:

Yeah, that bloody Canuck needs to be taken out in game #2. This kind of behavior should not be permitted.

171. MontrealAtheist says:

Jaro alone won’t be able to make much of a difference vs. the Penguins. They simply have too much class, no comparison to the Caps … We need to be much more disciplined and not give up any unnecessary penalties and that goes for Carey Price, too.

172. MontrealAtheist says:

They are tough to get chances against.”

For what it’s worth, we got more shots on goal than Pittsburgh. However, we obviously need to execute more and work on our PK if this series is to go beyond 4 games.

173. MontrealAtheist says:

As for Markov, let us pray.”

What good has praying ever accomplished?

174. MontrealAtheist says:

We could throw in Carey Price as a freebie to make the deal more attractive to prospective buyers.

175. MontrealAtheist says:

Everyone  thought I was nuts, but I said to play Price tonight”

Actually a lot of people said/thought this since it’s pretty obvious that Jaro needs a rest every couple of games and unfortunately the playoff schedule does not make it easy on us.

I would also rest Jaro during game #2 so that he can have a fresh start for the home games.

176. MontrealAtheist says:

We need them to get 40 or more in order too win!!!!!!”

LOL. Well, limiting unnecessary penalties would be a good start.

177. wotever says:

You love the habs. Except for the millionaires.  Except they almost are all millionaires.  And they should get to work, except everyone should leave them alone. But there’s no point anyways.  The stanley cup was already won.

Wat.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

178. wotever says:

I noticed the pathetic entrance to the ice by the habs too, before Healey showed it.  1st 10 minutes.  Woo!  Lost, 6-3.

CBC had problems, but it wasnt about coverage.  It was basic shit like turning off a mic or playing a clip for the talent.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

179. lab says:

I agree! Get AK46 outta there!

180. dre1744 says:

Problem is they didn’t follow the system tonight.  What is up with limiting the pens to 24 shots.  We need them to get 40 or more in order too win!!!!!!

181. Norcal Habsfan says:

Lest ye forget..Cooke getting KO’d- feel better HIO land.

182. MontrealAtheist says:

PK was very good”

I assume you are not referring to Subban and not to our pathetic penalty kill which was anything but “very good” …

183. Dennis says:

It was too good to be true to think that injuries wouldn’t strike. That’s the kind of year it’s been. It was Markov at the beginning of the year and now it’s Markov at the other end. Getting Spacek back would be nice, though, and hopefully Pittsburgh loses Staal for awhile. The boys didn’t have any zip tonight. I agree with a previous commentor that the schedule could’ve been slightly better. One more day’s rest would’ve been nice. Hell, they were barely able to practise. Things are going to get better. http://dennis-kane.com/penguins-power-play-proves-poisonous/

184. adamkennelly says:

cannot allow that puke Cooke to get away with that.  anyone think if Moen had taken Crosby out with a “clean” hit – that the Pens would have come out of the scrum with the extra minor.  Simply cannot allow that stuff to take place.  afternoon games suck – this isn’t football where they play 1 x per week…all this for NBC to go gaga over Crosby to an audience who doesn’t give a shit…Habs lost their best player to a scumbag – not acceptable.  On a positive note – I thought Habs played pretty well – cept for the PK without Markov or Pyatt with no stick.

185. tricolore says:

Habs not even a shade of the team they were against the Caps tonight. Notice the shot blocking has completely stopped. Tonight, the boys are not willing to pay the price. We’ll let this one go….Sunday is a different story.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

186. wotever says:

Yo troll, fear not, CBC embarrassed themselves on a lot of levels this evening. From basic technical difficulties (not the first time for an open mic drowning out an interview) to Bob Cole’s ongoing stroke (hey, he was great, but his time is past. The shame is not knowing when to leave gracefully), to Cherry’s crude reference, we don’t even need to speak of bias. Oh and dissing the idesk crew. Not cool.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

187. smiler2729 says:

Switch to LeafsTV aka the Golf Channel.

188. habs11s says:

They made the Pens sound like the first team to be inducted in the HHOF and the Habs seem like they were lucky clean the Pens jocks after the game… just embarassing.  Equally embarassing is the praise of Matt Cooke.  Months ago, they hated him because of the hit on Savard (CBC liking the Bruins, i know so farfetched) and now he’s amazing.

btw I hope this cheers you guys up just a little bit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9Sp-WndwA

apparently we should have drafted Evander Kane

___________________________________________________________________________

189. slapshot777 says:

I was disgusted when I found out that CBC was televising the Habs. What about the comment for the first round where they said they couldn’t make no money from showing Habs games.

I bet TSN made a bundle. The Habs on TSN were their highest rating ever for a hockey game. I know TSN is not much better, but at least the play by play is a hell of a lot better than Bob (can’t see what’s happening) Cole. TSN averaged 1.8 million per game while their other series didn’t even come close.

I guess this just goes to show how the all the morons who work at CBC operate. It’s sole purpose is to show the Laffs at all cost. Thy will give any excuse to avoid showing ay other canadian team unless they have no other choice. They should change their letters from CBC to either OBC or TBC.

190. 11habs11 says:

My last girlfriend was a Laffs fan…needless to say, she is not my current girlfriend lol

191. wall2bay says:

On a totally different note.  Some words of advice to all single men who are die hard Habs fan that plan on getting married one day…..

Make sure she’s a Habs fan or at the very least a hockey fan.   My wife is killing me!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

192. 123456 says:

my wife is neither. thinks the idea of grown men fighting each other or getting paid $ to play sports is silly. but she did watch the third period of game seven with me because i would not move out of my spot in bed!

secret mod

193. HabsTrueBlue says:

LOL it’s a challenge to find (hot) Hab female fans outside of Montreal. Friday night games when you haven’t seen the GF all week are the toughest sell!

194. Malreg says:

Hahaha…I have my wife trained!

Game 1 of the 1st round she went to bed early, and she told me and my buddy “Don’t worry about being quiet, you can be as loud as you want!”

195. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Our second TV has saved our marriage!

196. Laramy87 says:

Dating a leaf fan :S

197. kempie says:

Mine is hot and a Habs fan. Our first child is due in October and was conceived across the street from the Bell.

198. Bill J says:

Way I see it – Revenge was gotten when Subban sliced Jordan Staal no ?

199. linp says:

I want revenge! Target Matt Cooke!

200. HabsFansince49 says:

It was a clean check. And Markov fell clumsily. Let’s move on.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

201. smiler2729 says:

Revenge is fruitless…

The Pens lost Jordan Staal, though not a top defenceman, an important player nonetheless.

202. habgunner says:

No sense in taking out Cooke, the habs should try to pound sc 87 and em 71 EVERY chance they get. As for the cooke hit, my only issue is that the hit was a bit late… We gotta stop taking penalties…

203. MontrealAtheist says:

Let MAB do to him the same thing he did to Belanger :-)

204. TomNickle says:

Time for somebody to invoke Carbonneau’s ghost to matchup on Crosby like he did on 99.

205. jimmy shaker says:

And for him to teach Gio or Gomer how to do the pregame Patrick Roy blessing of the pads/glove/blocker/stick/posts and crease……just like how Carbo use to do it in the 93′ run.  Pass the torch to those guys for Jaro.  I still remember Carbo doing that to this day!  Awesome!

Shaker

206. Shublips says:

Gameday indeed!  This is going to be a great game and another great series.  I don’t know if the Habs can pull it off, as the Pens are a MUCH more balanced team than the Caps.

But if Halak can keep playing the way he did the last three games, then anything can happen.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

207. ari says:

I’ve chamged to RDS

208. puroman77 says:

After Cole kept calling Subban Hall Gill i too have gone to RDS

209. Habfan29 says:

AK46 really pissed me off with that weak dump in. If you wan to change up get it deep as soon as I saw that he did not dump it deep and the Pens countered I said to myself here comes a goal. Get it deep for Christ sakes or sit……

210. Habsone says:

I agree with you 100%!  AK46 looks so slow and fat!  We just need a day off to rest and I think we’ll be ok.  Pittsburgh didn’t look very good.  They sure didn’t look very fast for a team that has been resting for almost a week.  Go Habs Go!!!

211. KC64 says:

A few notes about game 1:

We palyed even with them except for the PP….Fleury is very beatable, Halak is tired as are his teammates.

That being said, I do think the guys can regroup, it will be difficult especially without Marky, but as this team has shown all season, they aren’t quitters, they don’t stop fighting and we should all keep the faith.

Also……what the f#@$ is wrong with AK46??????? …wow! One good thing about the paly though….it got JM to at least show a little emotion…..Ak46 is the most frustrating player to watch since Malakhov.

Go Habs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

212. wall2bay says:

LOL…..atleast she was a hockey fan and could understand.  My wiife can’t seem to understand the passion of watching every playoff game.

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

213. HABSsince92 says:

Go Habs Go! Let’s start this series like we did against Washington with a W! Thinking about driving down to Pitt. on Sunday and trying to scalp a couple of tickets for the game since it’s an afternooner…..it’s only a 4 – 4.5 hour drive for me.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

214. jimmy shaker says:

Where are you driving from?

Shaker

215. HABSsince92 says:

Buffalo

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

216. jimmy shaker says:

Would’ve loved to get tickets if the boys played the sabres…..only a 3 hour or so trip for me to Buffalo from Windsor.  I thought about travelling to Pitts as well.  Only about 5 or 6 hours for me.  Guess I’ll just wait for the Detroit/Montreal stanley cup final matchup, then I only have to travel about 10 minutes over the border!

Enjoy, if you go!

Shaker

217. 123456 says:

I’m in Rochester and about a 50% chance I get tix to Sundays game. How many tix you interested in?

secret mod

218. Laramy87 says:

Same, i had my leaf fan g/f convicned to come with me to buffalo for a game, im am about 2 hrs to buffalo. I was hoping for that series for about the last two weeks of the season. Pissd it never happpend.

219. Rudy says:

I’m 4.5 hours away, are you serious about being able to get tickets

220. 123456 says:

by “get” i mean purchase online from someone. i have some restrictions on how i buy so i do not get scammed. but yes i am trying, only thing holding me back is price.. i will not pay $200 for a seat. send me a note through the site.

secret mod

221. JF says:

I’m glad no one is giving us a chance in this series.  Despite what Christopher Letang said, we are the underdogs, and I imagine the Penguins feel as confident as the Caps did that they can beat us, although they won’t be so arrogant and stupid as to say so.

Our record against them this year doesn’t look good, but I don’t think it tells the whole story.  The first game was early in the season, when we were not playing well as a team.  For the second game we were missing key players and had several AHL players in the lineup.  I think the third game was the one where Chris Lee waved off a perfectly good goal late in the game, so we should have gotten at least a tie in that one.  Also, our lineup has changed a lot since the beginning of the year, and we have become a much better team than at any time during the season.  If we can get to Fleury, who has not been stellar so far and who often mishandles the puck or gets caught out by unlucky bounces off the end boards, and limit the damage done by Crosby and Malkin, we have a chance.  The ideal scenario would be to win tonight, then start Price in goal on Sunday so Halak can get a rest.  He seems to need one every four or five games.

222. HABSsince92 says:

YES! That was Awesome!

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

223. kempie says:

The opposing team would be at the other end looking on with this incredulous face that said “man, that’s just creepy”.

224. homerbowen says:

Yoiur comments are in poor taste.

225. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I love Sidney Crosby as a Hockey Player …as a Character Player & Human Being (…at least, as far as I know so far) …IMO, in ‘another life dimension’ …both Mario and Sid were BORN and Designed to wear the Bleu-Blanc et Rouge …Damn String Theory !!!

…but, The Only Way to respond to THAT Cooke hit on Markov (…technically clean, or not) …IS to go after Crosby (…or Malkin …or Staal …or Gonchar) …not waste Your time or energy on Cooke

…Fight Fire …With Fire …as that’s The Reality …and Law Of The Jungle !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

226. mrhabby says:

boys loooking tired tonight…was to be expected. no big deal.

christ please let markov return next game.

where is spacek.

227. mrhabby says:

boys loooking tired tonight…was to be expected. no big deal.

christ please let markov return next game.

where is spacek.

228. habs03 says:

We are not being outplayed, but those 3pp are killer, they seem kinda tired.

229. ari says:

I am so tired of andre k.

230. habs03 says:

He was the reason for the too many men pent, and on the 4th goal he failed to get over the red line and dump it in deep so he passed it to the Pitts D tape to tape, Im sick of him and his brother.

231. slapshot777 says:

AK46 is just floating, showing no sense of urgency in his game whatsoever.

232. WestHab says:

I agree. This is not to discredit Halak in any way. this is a team sport and if a games rest will help Jaro it should be done on Sunday.

233. Willy the bum says:

Price play Game 2 so that Halak can rest.

And when Habs lose Game 2 switch back to Halak and he’ll win three straight like he pulled the deficit from Caps.

Put Price back on Game 6, lose, then finish the Pens off with Halak.

I know I may sound a bit anti-Price, if one of those two games with Price does win, either way the Pens will be done with Halak.

That’s MY system, and I won’t mind if Jacques Martin borrow it.

234. Will Longlade says:

Affirmative.

235. Habsfan_jay says:

I agree! I think Price might be able to win the next game though. Regardless you still go back to Halak for game 3.

Lots of people talked about how JM had to manage Hamer’s minutes when he was visibly gases against the Caps. It’s no Different with Halak.

236. Corio says:

I’d be happy with a 2 game split coming back frm Pitts..  Let’s go La Tricolore!

237. WindsorHab-10 says:

I’ll break dance.

238. wall2bay says:

Now that’s a keeper!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

239. lavie says:

Hope JM and Co. can work out a new strategy to control the Pens who are a different team from Caps.

JM did a good job studying Caps.

240. SeriousFan09 says:

Because the NHL are amateurs at TV schedules and negotiations with TV networks. It’s embarrassing, we’re playing at 2 PM Sunday and NBC doesn’t have to give the NHL a dime to broadcast the game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

241. habs11s says:

Who created this schedule, i dont believe i have seen Round 2 start right as Round 1 was completed, kinda stupid in my opinion.  Equally stupid is an afternoon game, why can’t americans learn that hockey should be played at night… this is not baseball…anyways bring on Game 2

___________________________________________________________________________

242. jimmy shaker says:

I’m not just sayin this because I’m the president of his fan club….but look for #47 Stephan Lebeau to get a big goal for us tonight!

Shaker

243. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

Ak’s biggest problem is SK.

When SK sits, AK sulks.

244. habsguy says:

the only thing wrong with him is,  he was born without a canadien heart!!!!….he just doesn’t give a s@#@t

245. dre1744 says:

this sucks Markov injured means more ice time for MAB  which=bad

MAB was at fault for goal 4!!!!!!

Hopefully if Markov can’t go next game Spacek will be back so MAB can get his 4 min of ice time, any more is too much for him

246. mrhabby says:

agree those penalties are killing us.

halak looks bagged and defence too.

247. Shublips says:

This Markov loss could, needless to say, be crippling for the Habs.  That being said, maybe this is the chance that PK Subban needs to step into his own and show the world what he can do.

As for the loss?  Entirely predictable, imo.  The Habs looked slow and tired all night and the Pens, despite scoring 6 goals, didn’t look THAT impressive.

They are beatable.

248. KC64 says:

I agree wit hall the posts regarding TSN and CBCs unabashed and shameless Habs bashing.

Those two networks have always had it in for Montreal….most likely reason…..envy….must have drove them nuts watching the Habs parade around with all those cups.

I do not watch either now…I cannot stomach them…I get my Habs games on the net on CJAD.

249. jrshabs1 says:

AK46 is a lazy plug who has been awful since his lazy plug brother has been in the press box.

250. petefleet says:

At the risk of repeating what others have already said, I’m going to sat it anyway.  PK Suban was incredible last night.  He was very poised and made some great plays.  I like how he has his head on a swivle, always looking for the open man so he can make the right play up ice.  He’s definately going to make a big difference with Markov out.  Not saying he’ll replace him, but I think he will lessen the effect of Marky’s absence.

I also think AK46 needs to have a seat.  Darche should be inserted into the lineup to provide some much needed energy and physical play.  He can also provide some close in scoring punch.

As for Halak, he was as good as he could be under the circumstances.  He didn’t see any of the shots and yoman job he’s been doing obviously could not continue for ever.  I have no doubt he will rebound with a great effort in the next game but the Habs will have to clear the mess out of the front of the net for him.  He’ll stop it if he can see it.

Overall, the Habs did alot of things right but couldn’t defend the Pens PP.  If they stay out of the box tomorrow, 5 on 5 they’ll be able to beat the Pens.  This I am sure of.

Go Habs Go

251. deggy24 says:

A few things about the game:

5 on 5 the Penguins appeared no where as good as the Caps. We had a lot more ice to work with and a lot higher % possession than we did against the Caps.

In many ways, we lost this game on two very ineffective ‘clears’ of the puck; AK’s feeble dump that created the quick transition and Gionta’s flick over the boards. For gosh sakes if you are over the red line, ring the puck off the boards/glass so the goalie has to play it behind his net.

Poulliot and AK are terrible on one on one forechecking battles. They lose them 90% of the time. They should watch little Moore battle on the forecheck, and practise it.  These two need to be in the lineup and upgrade their one on one play in the corners.

Pleks and Gionta appeared gassed. Hopefully, they have some more energy on Sunday.

We can beat these guys. They are nowhere as good as the Caps. Martin has to quit with his double standard: young guy makes a mistake and he sits so that old guys get worn out. Old guy makes mistake and he gets double shifted.

252. MontrealAtheist says:

Can we give credit to Bob Gainey for this loss? After all, this is apparently “his team” and “he put this team together” … LOL

253. G-Man says:

Har-har (sarcasm)

254. HotHabs says:

my point is that Washington bombarded the net with pucks and bodies – lots of pucks found their way to Halak.  The difference was a tired and uninspired Habs team, NOT that the Pens “executed”, as if to say they DID something the Caps didn’t do!

255. HotHabs says:

they were superhuman vs. Washington – it’s not impossible, but a tough act to follow. And to bring themselves to that place physically, mentally, and emotionally is a huge task.

My beef with TSN was the “rout” description of the game, which it wasn’t.  It was a 2-goal game (til the empty netter) and the Habs actually outscored the Pens 5-on-5.  The TSN boys take whatever opps they can get to shoot down Montreal, not just these playoffs – always have, always will!!!!  It gets tiring hearing all the negative pro-anyone-else commentary from TSN and CBC.

256. Rainrocket16 says:

Ok!! This is for Halak!!

I want someone to name 1 goaltender since the lockout who has dominated for his team and been a Elite Hall of Famer since the NHL lockout. Maybe Luongo, but not all consistant. I cannot name one who has been a calibur even close to goaltenders of the older days. Well for one, the goals have doubled per season the shots as well. How many new rules came into effect for these goals to happen. What Goalie stands a chance to prove he can be a Roy-like caliber tender..It may never happen again the way Bettman has destroyed this game. So anyone who is mad a Jaro or any goalie for being fatigued in this modern day must be……………..Real F’n high on drugs! Lets cut Jaro some slack, I believe he gave us the best 3 game performance of any goaltender since that lockout!  Go Habs Go !!! Nuff Said!

257. habsguy says:

you’re the only one F’n high on drugs,  before you make stupid comments like that you should do some reading .

258. brandonhab19 says:

halak saved us in the playoffs and desreves to e the starter but in the long run can he handle the workload of one remains to be seen. But for now i give game two to price, rest Halak and give him the rest of the series. At worst we’re down 2-0 at best were tied 1-1 with both goalies being confident.

259. Rainrocket16 says:

take off!!

260. BKAK72 says:

How many times has this guy written material on HIO?

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

261. MontrealAtheist says:

Amen to that. Price should start in game #2 to give Jaro some rest. The way Pittsburgh played in game #1 I doubt that we’ll win game #2, but at least Jaro could have a fresh start for the home games.

262. smiler2729 says:

That’s the beauty o fhaving two good goalies and Price is due for a freakin’ win. No matter what the outcome, start Halak Tuesday at the Bell.

263. arrow says:

Game #1 down, 6 to go!  GO HABS GO! Hope Markov is OK. Get some rest team and come back stong!

264. MontrealAtheist says:

Here are some random post-game comments:

Pittsburgh is not as dumb as the Capitals on the PP, so why give up that many penalties? That was evident against Ottawa and when they are 3 for 3 on the PP you’d think that they would make some effort to avoid any more penalties … Well, think again.

That check on Markov hurt. I demand that we go by the Bible in game #2 and take out an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Matt Cooke needs to pay for this.

Halak should have been pulled much earlier, e.g. after the first period. Jaro needs some rest anyway with that busy schedule for this series, so it might as well be now at the beginning. Price should be in nets for game #2.

265. J.J. of Turku says:

Thinking of that “Hammurabi’s law”-tooth for tooth… Would work if we take down someone as important as Markov. Who would you sacrifice to end Crosby’s season?

266. habsguy says:

why would you risk a penalty or maybe a game going after a borderline player like Cooke ?

267. Willy the bum says:

I sense Cooke will go after Cammalleri, Gionta, or Plekanec next game, so I swear that if we see that happening, we have no choice but to put bounty on that guy’s head when he comes to our city.

268. ed lopaz says:

if martin can turn this series around, without markov, I will NEVER say another bad word about him – promise.

watch the game closely – when guys get the puck, what happens?, do they keep it or lose it? do they make a good pass, or does the pass go to no one?

if you watch the game closely you will notice why Boone is not liking AK these days.

for those commenting that its some kind of misplaced criticism or hatred against AK, watch closely.

Habs can NOT play tired – their game is ENERGY and hard work. Being tired kills the system.

Everything about the NHL is wired around TV and especially those B.S games on NBC that nobody in the U.S ever watches.

We played Friday night because NBC was demanding a Crosby vs Ovechkin Sunday afternoon matchup.

If CBC pisses off Boone – and I agree – NBC is not far behind.

269. wotever says:

“Crosby Ovechkin Sunday” has nothing to do with reality.

The 1st seed wouldn’t've played the 4th seed this round.

270. terrygain says:

AK’s my favourite player, but something is clearly wrong.  And I don’t think it’s because he’s not trying. He’s been a skilled and truculent player in the past.

AK whiffed on a shot and a one timer last night. He’s been whiffing on shots and mishandling the puck  a lot lately. I suspect that he has a physical problem.

271. G-Man says:

The NHL receives the grand total of ZERO DOLLARS from NBC and who runs the scheduling? The NHL is as stupidly run as any clique of rich, opinionated businessmen that produce nothing. Time for a Canadian to run the NHL and get 4 more teams where people give a crap about the game.

272. HabsFansince49 says:

Are we really shocked about last night? The real loss was Markov not the game. Pitts is a much more well-balanced team than the Caps.

On to Sunday – the aim is to win 1 in Pittsburgh; if not the challenge will be greater but achieveable. Subban looked good.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

273. echoesof says:

Pens watch series tape of Habs/Caps and adjust. Habs play Pens and adjust. Everything’s chilly!

Beating the Caps was no accident.

274. smiler2729 says:

Who is “us” for you, the Leafs?  Go back to Snore-onto, Laff fan

275. RC-51 says:

-Should have pulled Halak after the 3rd goal

-Markov not in the lineup going to really hurt

-Anyone else see Gainey sitting with Pierre?

-Pens are beatable!!

276. RC-51 says:

I agree, clean hit unfortunate circumstance! But, revenge would be better served on Gonchar!

277. G-Man says:

More bad luck than illegal hit.

278. Norcal Habsfan says:

positive note..PK was beyond solid. He was an offensive factor which is amazing considering he was called up only days ago. At times you could see him consider a risky play but always chose the safer play. He won battles. He’s not a Markov in any way but with Spacek back we’re not as bad off as Boston last year without Markov.

They’re tired. Pens are beatable. FLeury is beatable. He looked average at best tonight and so far this playoffs.

Price plays well game 2  and it’s a pick em. PG didn’t pull the trigger on a goalie deal for this very reason. We have two great goalies and it’s Ok to use them. The Habs are not in panic mode and neither should we.

Oh yeah and screw Cooke- you’ll get yours. Love it when Evander Kane KO’d him.

279. Willy the bum says:

Forget Kane KO’ing Cooke… here’s what one of the Habs will do next game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_D6oQO6b8 (start at 0:58)

Imagine Cooke as the mustache guy and you’ll see…

280. Willy the bum says:

Bob Cole: “Gill seems to be getting shorter and tanner now than before… OH MY!”

281. HabFanSince72 says:

The real problem was playing so soon after the emotional and physical drainage of game 7.

The NHL got its wish though.

282. MontrealAtheist says:

Well, with that many useless teams in the NHL for the sole purpose of filling the NHL cash coffers it’s tough to come up with a reasonable playoff schedule that allows for some rest between games.

283. DavidKB says:

Not surprised with the outcome tonight. Pleased with the overall offensive effort of the Habs, though.

They need to figure out a more effective defensive approach. Going to be difficult without Markov.

Halak will be back next game.

Can’t stand CBC coverage – Bob Cole has to go. Cherry is more annoying than ever with his sloppy arrogance. Switched to RDS!

284. pmaraw says:

what i did like was us beating fleury clean, no screens required!

285. MontrealAtheist says:

Who would you sacrifice to end Crosby’s season?”

How about AK? He has not been of much use lately, so we might as well assign him this special “task”.

286. Habsfan_jay says:

I love that clip! Always enjoy watching it. A kid named Evander who can fight?!?! What a surprise! lol.

When it happened I was seriously hoping it would have knocked Cooke out for a long while, poetic justice and all. Post-concussion syndrome never seems to happen to the guys who deserve it though.

287. J.J. of Turku says:

Sometimes these conspiracy-theories are really funny :)

288. Precisionist says:

Just went to the trouble of registering to ask one simple question.

What on earth has Bob Cole got against the Habs?

Really? Was someone not nice to him?