Round 1, Game 7: History was written in Washington

Canadiens’ Jaroslav Halak raises his arms in celebration in front of Capital’s Alexander Ovechkin after the final whistle of Game 7 on Wednesday night. Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Washington Post

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri | Jaro Halak | Brian Gionta

• At a Glance: Two role players came through in a big way for the Canadiens on Wednesday night as they won Game 7 of their Eastern Conference semifinal by a score of 2-1. It took Montreal a little longer to get going, however, unlike Game 5 and 6 where they struck early. Marc-André Bergeron scored on the power play with 30 second to go off a nice pass from Scott Gomez to open the scoring after Mike Green has been sent off for cross checking. There was no scoring in the second period, but the Capitals dominated, outshooting the Canadiens 13-3. Washington also dominated the third period, desperately pressing for a goal as they tried to rally. But Dominic Moore gave the Canadiens a 2-0 lead 16:24 into the third period with a chip shot over Semyon Varlamov’s shoulder. The Capitals didn’t quit, however, with Brooks Laich making it 2-1 with 2:16 to play. With 1:43 to play, Ryan O’Byrne took a penalty and the Capitals pulled Varlamov for a 6-on-4 man advantage, but they were unable to beat Halak, who stopped 41 of 42 shots Wednesday, stopping 131 of 134 shots in the last three games.

• Key Moments: Alexander Ovechkin thought he had tied the game 1-1 only seconds into the third period, but the goal was waved off immediately because Mike Knuble has interfered with Halak.

• What It Means: Montreal makes history, winning the series 4-3 and becoming the first eight seed to erase a 3-1 deficit against a No. 1 seed to win the series.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens will be off to Pittsburgh for one of two Eastern Conference semifinals, with the first game on Friday night and Game 2 on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.

1. wotever says:

WTF!?  Don’t get stopped by the cops!  ESPECIALLY if the habs win!

They _shouldn’t_ let you in with that.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

2. Rudy says:

Section 419. There won’t be many Habs fans, so we have to be LOUD. Are you going to the warm up at 6:30? You can stand at the glass and watch which is cool, Can’t wait to get a pic of PK.

3. Fansincebirth says:

You should watch him more often then :o)

4. habfan53 says:

Every time I watch Gorges he gets a little better

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll drink to that.

Gorges defines the kind of spirit that every hockey player should have.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. habfan53 says:

If Spacek is back I expect MAB out as PK proved he can handle the point on the Power Play

7. Le Jadester says:

That’s why Stevie Y is the guy !

He and Kenny know stuff and things that the average person doesn’t

I remeber scratching my head with Green when the team was selected.  Went wild though when D. Doughty was taken (Its a London thing….too bad J. Carter wasn’t there though).

Habs, OLE !

8. Chuck says:

Look at it this way: it couldn’t possibly be any worse… or could it?  😉

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

9. Le Jadester says:

Nice work Mr. Ed.

When Josh first came over, I couldn’t stand him (I’m very impatient and didn’t like his rookie mistakes).  Now he’s one of my favourite players. He is a very Important Hab on the team.

As well, its nice to see good things happen to good people that work hard and never give up. Great role model for the kids nowadays.

I also like how he crosses himself before each game. Show’s his humbleness  !

Habs, OLE !

10. adam76 says:

GREAT post!

11. adam76 says:

Go watch the WWE.

12. habsperspective says:

I didnt have a passport either, but took a chance, the border guy was a Bruins fan, and I thought I was cooked, but he was glowing from his win over the Sabres the night before, he took my license, and health card, and said good to go.

And so far tickets are much cheaper then Montreal. anywhere from 70-110 upper, and from 150-225 club, and lower.

13. MontrealAtheist says:

Statistically it’s rather improbable that the Caps can be restricted to a single goal 3 times in a row. At some point, Halak is bound to give up 2 or 3, maybe even 4 goals, so when this happens let’s hope the offence is not having one of those “off” days.

14. mike g says:

Ed, you just made Simple Jack’s eyes rain……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

15. mike g says:

Oh wow!

A 9 minute swim for the turtles! Jeez, that’s a 4 pound shedding for sure!

lol, ok ok let’s talk some Habs now…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. Bash says:

Line up for tonight?? Martin made some good moves in the last two games.

Is Spacek healthy?  If so we have 7.5 D who could play. MAB (.5) should sit but Martin likes him on the PP. We all like PK as a wild card contributor. O’byrne has added a lot of push back around the crease. Hammer has been less than stellar but he has the experience as well.

Do we need 4 full lines for what could be a long game? I think not! Besides, you play to win in regulation.

You have to think Metro will be in based on experience. What were his face off stats in the last game?

Sergie will work on paper aerodynamics for sure. Pouliot plays limited minutes but can be a game breaker and an option for the Gomez line if we need it.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

17. Corio says:

You guys can do it, GO HABS GO!

18. Jbell10 says:

now were talking lol

19. habsguy says:

Damn I hope you’re wrong…..the second game was the worst I have ever seen !!!!!….if it was called properly this series may just be over now!!!

20. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

here’s a quick thank you to a great Hab – “The Boss”, as in Josh “The Boss” Gorges

he has identified OV’s patterns and he, along with Gill’s giraffe like reach, have OV twisting in the wind.

OB was quoted the other day as saying the Gorges has even taught him how to stop OV on the rush.

I won’t post the details of that strategy – its not for public consumption before a game 7. :-)

so here’s to you Mr Gorges; i raise my mug of coffee and salute you!!

Mr. walk on in junior and rose to become captain of the Kelowna Rockets

Mr. UNDRAFTED to the NHL and signed as a free agent

Mr. average size body but oversized heart,

Mr. I will block a shot with the back of my head and skate THE NEXT DAY in PRACTICE!!

its a pleasure to watch you play hockey.

its a pleasure to tell my 16 year old defenceman son to watch you play hockey.

for barely 1 million per year

you are truly a Great Hab!!!

and now, for my first compliment to Bob Gainey as a GM, ever!! – thanks BOB! – for getting us Josh “the boss” Gorges.

Isn’t it game time yet? I have to get out of the house or I’ll be on here all day. Going fishing!

Back later.

22. mike g says:

Nice…lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

23. habsguy says:

you don’t have to even look at Cherry,  but you have to listen to PMG for 9/10ths of the game,  and I really don’t mind Cole,  he isn’t in love with Ovie…..

DD, should be listed on NHL.com , but I don’t want to look!

B, it is because of the weird way Martin coaches. I don’t agree with it but if he keeps on winning, I should stay quiet. He seems to burn his best players out by the 3rd. Scary if we ever get into overtime with fried legs!

26. Jbell10 says:

You just reminded me, be right back, going to lose a couple pounds.

27. Bill H says:

Great post Steve.  Thanks for that research on Alsner.  Its obviously to our advantage that Poti is out.  But the fact that Alsner is rated nearly as highly as Subban suggests that he could be a capable fill in for Poti.

28. DD says:

I know this shouldn’t matter, but after watching our Habs getting jobbed by the refs last game, does anyone know who’s slated to screw us tonight?

29. jimmy shaker says:

Disagree!

Shaker

30. Drive4twenty5 says:

Agreed

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

31. B says:

Why is Metropolit only averaging a team low 6:36 TOI per game (and only 4:42 at even strength)? Even before his injury, he seemed to fall out of favour with Martin including being a health scratch. Did I miss something?

32. CHsam says:

Club Piscine floaters. RIght here.

P.K. Subban’s family gather together for big game.

34. jimmy shaker says:

Those are two hockey icons that I love to listen to, mainly because Bob Cole was the first hockey voice that I heard when I started watching hockey, (I know sometimes he gets mixed up and is behind the play) but he’s what I know and what I like.  It will be a welcome change for me.  As for Cherry, I enjoy his rants, but especially get a kick out of how McLean tries to get him going and make those funny remarks to get Cherry all riled up.  Anyway CBC, will be a breath of fresh air in my opinion.  Hope it happens.  Then it will be a true Hockey Night in Canada on CBC, Saturday night!

Shaker

35. riazp says:

LOL everyting you wrote is true! my turtles were right on time, 9 am every morning.

36. Laramy87 says:

hahahahh that was amazing

We get the Pens next 87 on TSN

38. habsguy says:

did you smash down the red bull to wash something “else” down ????

39. Laramy87 says:

It will definatley be CBC. CBC will have Habs and Nucks and TSN will get the other two

40. mike g says:

If you have the available funds, you should get tickets 1st row behind Bruce Boudreau.

Piss the guy off, be our 6th man on the road. Get a picture of Humpty Dumpty and show it to him, point at him, and watch him go nuts…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

41. habsguy says:

who cares about Sloan and Erskine…..we’ve got PK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. SmartDog says:

Y’know.. I wonder too if Halak can do it again.  No goalie can do it every night, and it would be easy to fatigue jsut a little under the pressure of a chance not just to stay alive but to knock off the caps.

I’m hopeful he’s just thinking of it as a game to be hist best.  His best is usually pretty darned good.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

You want Bob Cole? and clown Cherry?

I would prefer TSN.

44. riazp says:

Dude thats cool! please do tell us how much the scalpers are charging for tickets over there! i wanted to do the same but i have no passport lol!

Washington losing Tom Poti is a significant factor in tonight’s game.  The Caps have called up Karl Alzner but also have Tyler Sloan and John Erskine in reserve.  Both guys are 6’4″ and come in at over 205 lbs.  Sloan has already played in two games while Erskine might find it difficult to deal with our quick forwards as they dart around the Washington zone.  All three shoot left.

Karl Alzner is rated (as of Christmas) as the 6th best defensive prospect not playing in the NHL.

1st – Alex Pietrangelo     2nd – Oliver Ekman-Larsson     3rd – John Carlson    4th – Luca Sbisa      5th – P.K. Subban     6th – Karl Alzner

Alzner is 6’3″/205 and went 5th in the 2007 draft.  He has spent the past two years in Hershey with recalls to Washington in both years.  He is very mature as he displays lots of poise and steadiness.  He moves the puck well but really doesn’t always use his size to advantage.  His skating is decent but not great.  He may have some issues with Montreal’s speedy forwards as they shift around the Washington zone.  He’s a bit like O’Byrne but with a lot more upside.  It will be interesting to see if Boudreau goes with  Alzner or Sloan.

The key on the backend will still be Mike Green.  He needs to spark the PP and play like a Norris trophy candidate.  He totally broke down last year agaisnt Pittsburgh so he’s now in danger of doing it again.  Maybe Team Canada was way ahead of the curve on this guy.

46. habsguy says:

Oh GOD I hope it’s CBC,  can’t take anymore PMG

47. habsperspective says:

Anyone gonna be at the game tonight, I drove down yesterday, still have to get my ticket, but wanted to know if anyone was attending, and what section they were in, im hoping to get tickets in the area were other HABS fans are, either way dont want to be a surrounded by angry, or zealous CAPS fans.

This is destined to be an overtime classic…heart breaking, and euphoric at the same time.

GO HABS GO

This game is our 1st Stanley cup game in many years boys and girls. We will be playing a wounded bear tonight folks. It will take a super team effort from all hands on deck, and the key word will be discipline.

I am very sure that our boys slept much sounder than the Presidents Cup team did last night.

It will take a professional team of referees to do this game fairly and most do. Unlike the jerks that refereed the score in the last one. So the players can decide the winner. Be a shame to be decided by a stupid or bias call.

Next series will be another barn burner for us also. But Crosby and his gang can be had.

Although we are kept on the edge of our seats each shift, we are enjoying the best hockey played in Montreal in many years.

Have fun and savour the ride boys and girls.

49. mike g says:

Alright….

So game 7 always brings along a few surprises. You’ve got your usual case of the 10-hour “shakes”, when you’re sitting at your desk like I am and can’t stop shaking your legs. That’s always in unison with you stomac feeling like you just ate 6 bowls of jello. You also can’t think properly, and realize the next day that you made a ton of mistakes at work. Those mistakes are either laughed about tomorrow if the Habs win tonight, or ruin you day even more. But the one thing that pisses me off the most about games like this is that I’m not one of those players playing tonight, yet I still took the turtles to the pool wayy to early this morning…

Let me explain. Every man wakes up every morning to certain rituals. For some it’s a coffee, some it’s the newspaper, and for others it can be a glass of orange juice. But, we all know that there is a universal 45 minute timeframe between the time we wake up and our first bowel movement of the day. Let’s not lie or act all weird about it, it’s man’s nature. We are mostly men here, so we can discuss this. My point is that this morning, there was no 45 minute timeframe. The second I woke up, I thaught about game 7 tonight and then…BOOM! The turtles woke up, put on their bathing suits, and HAD to go swimming immediately. Uusally they are nice enough to give us the 45 minutes to do our chores, but not on days like this….

For all of you who had that happen to you this morning, just let me know lol. I know I’m not alone, so just answer something like, ” Hey Mike, I braught the turtles to the public pool extra early this morning too”, or something like that…..

ps- I just smashed down a Red Bull and the turtles are sleeping again. Maybe it’s something in the beverage that keeps them quiet!

Oh yea btw….Go Habs Go!!!! lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

50. habsguy says:

Lets hope JM twisted a few screws,  although we seem to play better there,  but then again if Jaro is in the zone it wont really matter will it!!!!!

51. Fansincebirth says:

IMHO, we have nothing to lose. They have proven that they can play with the ‘big dogs’ and win. All the pressure is on the Caps and if they don’t comoe out with their A game, it’s gonna get ugly. I hope that we’ve already seen the best that the Caps can put out.

Caps – you have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found
    wanting. Come back when you’re worthy!

52. jimmy shaker says:

Don’t forsee any lineup changes for the boys except maybe in the crease!

I joke, I joke!

Shaker

53. nickster13 says:

Im nervous, i may as well be playing in the game, i have an exam today but cant think straight. Im risking pissing off my coach by skipping tryouts today for soccer, to watch the habs. Yikes! I hope they make me proud

54. jimmy shaker says:

Refs please, Mr.Stubbs!

Shaker

55. Y says:

6-2 Caps…

I can’t see Halak playing out of his mind again. Look what happened to Bryzgalov last night.

They will run Halak like bumper cars and the pathetic refs will end up calling penalties on us instead.

56. jimmy shaker says:

Who gets it?  TSN OR CBC?  Me thinks that CBC will be taking that series, especially if it’s the habs vs the pens.

Shaker

57. Propwash says:

The Habs have to play like they got nothing to lose.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

58. Laramy87 says:

Saturday :)

59. Fansincebirth says:

When is our first game against the Pens?

60. avatar_58 says:

Never been much of a poker player, but people get nervous when you go “all in”. 😉

61. Sambaguio says:

Habs will win this. But I believe Boston and San Jose will be in the Finals.

——————————————
    Halak is the next Roy! Price is the next Theodore!

62. habbynessisyellingohabsgo says:

Habs take this one 4-2. Pk will score a beauty!

63. Hobie Hansen says:

Montreal
    doesn’t stand a chance if they’re going to allow 40 plus shots tonight. They’ve
    got to cut down the number of scoring chances against Halak and net a couple
    quick goals themselves.

Halak was
    super human in game six and has the ability to make more huge saves in game
    seven. However, the law of averages, just like in a poker game, heavily favor
    the team with more cracks at winning the game or pot. Most betting people out
    there would jump on the opportunity to take 2-1 odds or outshoot their opponent
    2-1. The underdog can’t suck out forever.

So in saying
    that the Habs have to lower their shot total against and swing things closer to
    even. Good luck boys, GO HABS GO!!!!

64. habaholic68NJ says:

So who are we starting in goal tonight?

65. Le Jadester says:

I liked Gio’s comments.  “Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup “.

I like how he keeps it simple.  Tonight’s just another game that they have to win to keep moving in the right direction.

PK better be in the lineup, no matter what!

Habs, OLE !