Round 1, Game 6: Canadiens force Game 7

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak tries to cover up as P.K. Subban clears the puck against the Capitals Monday night. Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Monday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Washington Post

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Hal Gill | P.K. Subban |Josh Gorges | Jaro Halak | Max Lapierre | Jacques Martin | Bruce Boudreau

At a glance: The Canadiens are back from the brink. After a
slim 2-1 win in Game 5 on Friday night, the Canadiens left no doubt on Monday
night with a 4-1 victory over the Washington Capitals in Game 6 of their
Eastern Conference quarterfinal. It was Montreal’s first postseason win on home
ice in seven games. Just like Friday night, though, Montreal jumped out to a
quick 2-0 lead, this time thanks to Michael Cammalleri. He opened the scoring
on the power play 7:30 into the period and made it 2-0 with his fifth of the
playoffs at the 9:09 mark with a quick shot from the far boards that eluded
Capitals goaltender Semyon Varlamov. P.K. Subban, who was recalled from the
Hamilton Bulldogs earlier Monday, collected an assist on the second goal, his
first career NHL playoff point in his first playoff game. Maxim Lapierre, who
took two diving penalties in the game, made it 3-0 4:17 into the third period
with a rising slap shot that eluded Varlamov. At the other end of the ice,
Jaroslav Halak withstood a furious Washington onslaught all night long, facing
54 shots. Eric Fehr broke Halak’s bid for a shutout with a tip-in with less
than five minutes to play on Washington’s 52nd shot on goal. Tomas
Plekanec capped off the scoring with an empty-net goal with 57 seconds to play.

What it means: The Canadiens have erased the 3-1
series lead the Capitals held after Game 4 and forced Game 7.

What’s next: Game 7 goes Wednesday night in Washington.

1. showey47 says:

I’m willing to bet PK new last night he was coming to montreal to play tonight.

2. KenD29 says:

Watch for Sergei or Pouliot to sit this one out, MAB on the 4th line and Subban paired with Hamrlik!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

3. jimmy shaker says:

I think MAB is going to be watching from the presser.  I don’t think JM will give a 4th line spot away now!  PK can take MAB’s PP minutes and do a better job in his zone.  As much as I’d like to have MAB in there, I think he’s officially done now.  The fourth line looks like it’s going to be Pyatt/Metro/Darche or SK74.  I don’t think MAB can take one of those guys out!

4. jimmy shaker says:

True…I hope he’s in for hammer!

5. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

between you and I, I prefer MAB over Hamrlik any day.

MAB is mobile, makes a clean first pass, and plays with a lot of heart.

unfortunately, he’s like -8 or something – and that’s a big number for 5 games.

since spacek is out, I expect JM will keep Hamrlik in at defence.

MAB might still play on the 4th line forward and the power play.

6. KenD29 says:

Jimmy, The Habs had only 1 call up opporunity left as long as the BullDogs are still in the playoffs (and they are going inot the next round which means at least another 4 games for them). The Habs would not have brought Subban up for him to sit in the pressbox! He will be in the lineup tonight and taking regular shifts!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

7. mrhabby says:

he is going to start for sure…JM has little choice the way i see it.

8. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll just wait for the press release or JM’s presser to confirm if PK’s in and who’s out.

Thanks though,

9. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

dude – unless PK is injured or sick after today’s practice, he is playing.

how much he plays – that’s another story.

10. mrhabby says:

since the habs have 1 recall left in the bank i guess they decided why not use it up as it could be the end of the the season tonight. might as well use all the weapons they have.

11. jimmy shaker says:

Before we jump the gun here, let’s wait and see if JM even pencils him in.  PG called him up, but it’s up to JM to use him or not.  He played last night, then had to travel.  I know he’s young, but that’s still a full plate for anyone.  He could just be here to soak up the atmosphere and take it all in, so we’ll wait and see how things progress during the day.  If he does play, I hope Hammer will sit, but more than likely it will be MAB…. that will suck as President of his fan club but it is the only logical choice.

12. KenD29 says:

No need for coffee… he’s young and will be working off Adrenaline feeding off the crowd tonight too!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

13. Habscore says:

Stubbs confirmed it throu Twitter, Ian!!
    “PK skating with Habs this morning, but he isn’t meeting the media, according to team.”

— YES HABS CAN!! —

14. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

once its on TSN and RDS it is confirmed.

15. KenD29 says:

Chile, this was reported about 30 minutes ago.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

16. notbigbird says:

But if he stands out …

17. Laramy87 says:

Notice in both incidents it was a cowardly European pushing a Canadian D-man into the boards. Ovie on Campbell, Hossa on Hamhuis… Both dirty, and the fact Hossa scored the winner made it even worse. Trots and Poile are prolly livid this morn with the no suspension

18. DraftBeer says:

team 990 is confirming what team 990 said? lol!

19. longtimehabsfan says:

Marinaro just confirmed on Team990.  PK recalled.

20. Clay4bc says:

I thought you were BS’ing, but it seems it’s true. Interesting development…

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

I would sure like to see Stubbs or someone here confirm or deny the PK story. If true, they better pour a ton of coffee into the kid after the team party last night.!!!

22. KenD29 says:

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

23. Laramy87 says:

TSN also just confirmed PK was called up…. Oh i wonder what jacques gonna do… MAB is great on the powerplay, but taking a forward roster spot for him???? I hope JM keeps O’Bryne isn, he has been playing great and we need his big body back on d as well

24. lavie says:

So we will see the Super Pair tonight: Gill-Subban!

25. dpthehabsfan says:

The Montreal Canadiens have recalled defenceman PK Subban from their American Hockey League affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Canadiens face elimination tonight at the hands of the
    Washington Capitals in Game Six of their Eastern Conference
    quarterfinal series.

Subban had 53 points in 77 games with a plus-minus rating of 46 in
    the regular season. In two games with the Canadiens this season, Subban
    has two assists, including one on the power play.

Subban had nine points in six games as the Bulldogs eliminated the
    Manitoba Moose last night in the first round of the Calder Cup
    playoffs. The second of the AHL playoffs begins in Hamilton on Thursday.

From TSN.CA

26. chilehabfan says:

PK SUBBAN has been called up!!!

27. nunacanadien says:

I know it is important the rookies on the Dogs get their trophy, but honestly, the pro team Habs exist just so Gainey can have a farm team?  Since when did the Molsons allow this?

28. arcosenate says:

it’s true, that’s wild.

he will help.

29. nunacanadien says:

Everyone in Montreal cheer on the might mites!  Let’s give Gomez the energy he needs, let’s give Gionta the roar of the crowd and make him fearless and stand up to the Washington Crapitals, let’s send Ovechkin to where he needs to go, off season and getting a steroid test from that old Montrealer Pound….

30. jimmy shaker says:

I’d go Subban for Hammer, but that’s just me.  We’ll have to wait and see if he’s even going to be in the lineup after playing yesterday, and then travelling.  Maybe JM and PG just got him here to soak in the atmosphere.  We’ll have to wait and see if JM pencils him in!

31. shootdapuck says:

McGoo will be drooling out both sides of his mouth then!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

32. mike g says:

BTW guys, you know what really sucks? The fact that our favorite sport is also the most poorly run sport in the history of pro sports…

How Chara isn’t suspended is beyond me. The instigator rule clearly says “any player who instigates a fight in the last 5 minutes of a game will be automatically suspended for 1 game.” Anyone who saw the incident clearly knows that Chara knew what he was doing and obviously instigated a fight with 3 Sabres players. How he was not suspended is disgusting, unacceptable and just plain NHL dumb…

Same goes for Hossa. I like Marian as a player, he’s alright. But what he did deserves a suspension. Players all know not to do that, especially when players are going that fast. The rule apparently says that “if any head or facial injuries occur, a suspension will be imposed”. Are they serious? Does the NHL really think they are fooling anyone? That rule basically says you can decapitate a player and break his arms, shoulder, and leg without getting suspended for that play. BUT, if he suffers an injury to his face like broken teeth or something, you will be suspended.

Seriously guys, it’s sad to say it but the NHL is a joke. It’s a league run by untouchable businessmen. Whatever they say goes, no arguing. Even though it may never make sense, they do the complete opposite of the obvious. A 2 year old can often make better decisions than they do, yet we just act like puppets and take it. It’s disgusting and I’ve had enough of these horrible decisions…

Like Roenick once said “WAKE UP NHL, WAKE UP”….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

33. hab_skill says:

Team 990 and RDS is confirming what the team 990 said.

34. Habscore says:

I hope the boy isn’t tired!! Did he even sleep since last night???!!

— YES HABS CAN!! —

35. Spoons91 says:

PK PK PK PK PK!!!!!!

36. arcosenate says:

There’s no report of it anywhere.

If it is true he would take MAB’s spot?

37. diehardhab says:

see my response to your post below

The torch be yours to hold it high!

38. jimmy shaker says:

Man, I was way off.   I’ll go eat some humble pie now.  But as President of the MAB fan club, I’d get PK in there and let MAB watch from above.  I’d still sit Hammer over MAB, because he’s been the worse of the two, but I don’t think JM will bench Hammer.  But I hope PK can do his thing and help the PP.  Interesting to see where JM slots him!

39. shootdapuck says:

He isn’t going to play anywhere else why waste a roster spot?

Subban in and MAB out!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

I am sorry if it is true. But when do the Dogs play next?

Surly they would not keep him here if the Dogs were playing???

OK, I can see that. Sorry for not believing my friend.

He will make things exciting, one way or another.

42. shootdapuck says:

double post

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

43. diehardhab says:

I think its just for the next couple days. Hamilton won their series yesterday and now has a few days off so no big deal.

The torch be yours to hold it high!

44. HFX-HabFan says:

If the Subban rumours are in fact true, John Carlson is going to be disappointed that McGuire won’t be gushing over him as the “kid who’s gonna be a great defenseman in this league for a long time”.

That would show real class if they would make that move! Think about it for a minute. Take away one of the main cogs in the wheel of Hamilton’s run at their cup race. What would that say to the rest of the players and fans throughout the whole organisation.!!!

46. Bugs says:

What, did I have it wrong a minute before?

What a gyp…

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

47. jimmy shaker says:

EHNNNNNNNN! Wrong again!

48. 4loorplay says:

Good point, but momentum is whats its all about at this stage. Remember we were winning game 2 4-1 with 2 min in the 2nd…then poof that goal to make it 4-2 killed us and lasted 3 games. A lucky bounce here and there and it was a 3 game win streak for the caps. I would much rather have played back to back games. I know its easy to say but when the wind is in your sails you move.

Lets hope we have a good game tonight, If PK is gonna be in the line up it would be nice if he makes an impact.

Go habs go

49. KenD29 says:

Diehardfan has it right! Subban will in fact be in the lineup tonight!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

50. diehardhab says:

Marinaro broke the news. He doesnt fool around.

The torch be yours to hold it high!

51. mrhabby says:

i would be shocked.

53. shootdapuck says:

MAB to the pressbox!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

54. diehardhab says:

The torch be yours to hold it high!

55. Bugs says:

Superfluously redundant, I remain

56. mike g says:

For some strange reason, this years playoffs don’t feel like they usually do for me.

I was nervous and anxious for the 1st 3 games of this series, after that I just watched but I didn’t have that naught in my stomach. Last game though, when the Caps were pressing late, that feeling of “omg we have to win” came back…

Hopefully it can carry over for tonight…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

57. jimmy shaker says:

I think it was to our advantage, as our 4D and only 3 forward lines touched the ice in the 3rd period last game.  Those guys needed that extra day for sure to get their legs and wind back.  JM can’t go to that well again tonight if the situation presents itself.  I mean he can go to that system, but not as early as he did last game.  I’d say with about 10 – 12 minutes to go, if we’re leading, then he can shorten the bench again.  But for the most part I think the 6D and 12 forwards are all going to have to be a part of tonights win, if we do get the W.

58. Instant Karma says:

Score a couple early again and play for 60 minutes boys! Don’t let up!

59. 4loorplay says:

Both teams had an extra days rest….This may be to the caps advantage being the momentum was on our side. 1 game at a time and whoever gets the lucky bounces tonight will win. IMO

60. jimmy shaker says:

MAB, Pyatt, Lapierre, Pouliot, SK74, Metro, Moore and Jaro all playing for contracts next year.  If these boys show up and have huge games/efforts, than we’ll be talking to you Wednesday night from the District of Columbia in what should be a memorable game 7!

61. habsfan_61 says:

have to go at them hard and early. put the seed of doubt into them and keep plugging away.

62. madmat411 says:

You know, no matter what, I think it’s pretty epic for the habs to maske this series exciting. Win or Lose. It has been entertaining. Especially tonights being the the (maybe) Do or Die game. I mean, lose tonight we are finished, win tonight we tie the series. As i said, No matter what, it has been a very entertaining series. And as in the article by Mio above, no-one expected the habs to even be this far. THANK YOU HABS FOR GIVING EVERYTHING YOU HAVE, AND AN ENTERTAINING END OF THE SEASON! GO HABS GO!